is a Belgian comic series
created by Raymond Macherot
in 1953 and published in the comic magazine Tintin
The hero Chlorophylle is a dormouse living in an European countryside and fighting his Arch-Nemesis
Anthracite the Black Rat
In the middle of the series Chlorophylle discovers Coquefredouille, a Mediterranean-style island with a Mouse World
full of Civilized Animals
. He deals with predators and evil nobles
before returning home.
The Coquefredouille arc would serve as a basis for an other Macherot (abrogate, then praised) series, Chaminou
The series continued after him with other authors, such as Greg
and Bob de Groot
Chlorophylle provides examples of:
- The Alcatraz: Shark Island, where, despite being Tunnel King, it took more to Anthracite to manage Great Escape, like a subversion of a Sleeping Dummy where he was hidden in the dummy.
- Ambiguous Gender: It was unclear in the first issues if Torpille la Loutre (Torpedo the Otter) is male or female. As loutre is a feminine noun, Torpille is often referred as a "she" but lacks feminine characteristics such as eyelashes. From la Revanche d'Anthracite, Torpille is clearly female.
- Anthropomorphic Shift: From Val Tranquille to Coquefredouille.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Duke Bihoreau de Bellerente.
- Big Bad: Anthracite.
- The Big Guy: Torpille.
- Bomb-Throwing Anarchists: So Zizanion seems to be... and Macherot himself for those who didn't really read the story.
- Carnivore Confusion
- Cats Are Mean: Célimène.
- Ear Notch: Anthracite.
- Furry Reminder: Predator animals are OK in nature. Their existence in a Civilized Animals world is a big hit.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Minimum's good angel appears sometimes. Anthracite's too... but obviously he's not in good form.
- Good Is Not Nice: Doctor Batrapoulos.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Anthracite tried to get rid of Chlorophylle by tiding him up to a firecracker rocket. But he got himself caught on the rocket and couldn't apparently jump before it explodes.
- Humans Are Bastards: they have this vicious tendency to create a lot of things dangerous to animals.
- Inspector Lestrade: Commissaire Bouclette.
- Intrepid Reporter: Chlorophylle and Minimum in Zizanion le terrible.
- Moral Guardians: Easy to meet in the 50's. They complained that Macherot depicted, in stories for children, terrorist attacks on a King, fun presumably made of labor unions, and a woman wearing hair curlers.
- Nice Mice
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: the viper is willing to trade Chlorophylle with Anthracite against ten other mice, knowing how much Anthracite values his enemy. Anthracite doesn't trust him.
- Sidekick: Minimum.
- Swarm of Rats: the black rats invade Val Tranquille (the Quiet Vale) after they've been chased away from an old mill.
- Those Two Guys: Escalope and Fricandeau. Chlorophylle and Minimum, as well.
- Villain Episode: Zizanion le Terrible has the eponymous villain hog all the screen time.
- Wham Episode: les Croquillards.
- You Have Failed Me: Anthracite to his X-8 spy.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: The last way Escalope and Fricandeau can be useful to Anthracite is by being killed by him so he becomes the hero and savior.