Comic Book: Blue Is the Warmest Color
aka: Blue Is The Warmest Colour
Blue Is the Warmest Color (Le Bleu est une couleur chaude) is a French graphic novel authored by Julie Maroh and published by Glénat in March 2010. Arsenal Pulp Press published an English translation in 2013.Clémentine, a high school student, struggles to define her sexual identity, between taking a false boyfriend, kissing back a friend on her lips (said friend having kissed her by jest) and having homoerotic dreams fueled by a blue-haired girl she met in the street on the arms of another woman.The day after she dumps her beard, her friend Valentin comes out of the closet and brings her to a gay bar, where she meets the blue-haired girl (an art student named Emma) and her girlfriend, Sabine. Thus begins a love triangle between the three girls, with Emma eventually dumping Sabine for Clémentine.This novel was adapted into a film called Blue Is the Warmest Color by Abdellatif Kechiche in 2013.
- The Beard: Clémentine has a boyfriend, whom she dumps early on in the story.
- Bury Your Gays: Clémentine dies.
- Butch Lesbian: Emma's girlfriend Sabine.
- Chekhov's Gun: The mother's chronic insomnia. She catches Emma walking naked after leaving Clémentine's room...
- Diabolus ex Machina: Just as it seems that Emma and Clémentine are going to be happy together, it turns out that Clémentine has been dying of heart disease all along without realizing it. And the drugs she took just made it worse.
- Diary: Clémentine's diary entries narrate the story.
- Fag Hag: Subverted as Clémentine, Valentin's friend, is herself lesbian.
- Foregone Conclusion: Clémentine dies.
- Functional Addict: Clémentine, an English teacher, become one when she's dumped by Emma.
- Foreshadowing: Early on in their relationship, immediately following Immodest Orgasm, Clémentine jokes about Emma giving her a heart attack, saying that her cause of death will be stated as "death by orgasm". Fast-forward 15 years, and Clémentine and Emma are having makeup sex on a beach, when Clem's orgasm gives way to a sudden heart attack. She lands in the hospital and dies within 10 pages.
- Gay Best Friend: Valentin for Clémentine.
- Also Emma in her backstory.
- Good Adultery, Bad Adultery: Emma cheating on Sabine, who's cheating on her.
- I Have No Daughter: Clémentine is disowned by her parents when they find her and Emma nude together.
- If It's You, It's Okay:
- Clémentine cheats on Emma with a man.
- Technically the same could be said of Clémentine and Emma's relationship, at least initially, as Emma is the only woman Clémentine ever really gets to date.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Clémentine and Emma.
- Love at First Sight: Clémantine and Emma in the street a year before they met again.
- Love Triangle: Sabine-Clémentine-Emma.
- Posthumous Character: Clémentine.
- Posthumous Narration: Clémentine, through her Diary.
- Their First Time: after being followed to her home by Clémentine, Emma says her she didn't want to take her to her home because she feared to to be able to refrain to have sex with her before they make love.
- Title Drop: At one point Clémentine comments on the different shades of blue.