Batman: Detective No. 27
is an Elseworld
comic, set more or less in The Golden Age of Comic Books
, where Bruce Wayne never becomes the Batman
, but is instead Detective No. 27 in the Secret Society of Detectives. It is worth noting that the character of Batman first appeared in "Detective Comics #27''.
This graphic novel provides examples of:
- Absolute Cleavage: Catwoman.
- Animal Motifs: Unsurprisingly, bats are all over the place.
- Freud Was Right: Actually invoked by name a couple times. Freud himself makes an appearance, and yes he does have a cigar.
- Historical-Domain Character: Quite a few.
- Jekyll & Hyde: The Trope Namer makes a cameo.
- The Joker: Never appears directly, but is referenced a few times. See Mythology Gag below.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Aside from the usual Batman crew, we have Superman, The Crimson Avenger, Mr. Hyde, and detectives in the Secret Society who look a lot like Sam Spade, Nick and Nora Charles, Nero Wolfe and Hercule Poirot.
- Mythology Gag: Lots and lots. Babe Ruth calling Bruce "the Bat-Man" being the most obvious.
- Batman first appeared in Detective Comics #27.
- Babe Ruth says that if Wayne is "Detective 27", then he's "All-Star 3" - All-Star Comics #3 was the first appearance of the Justice Society.
- Joe Miller's Joke Book.
- Bruce mentions how he called Robert Frost "Mr. Freeze" when he was a boy.
- Catwoman dressing up as an old lady and Bruce recognizing her legs, as in her original Golden Age appearance.
- When Bruce is under the influence of Datura spores, he hallucinates Jonathan Crane becoming the Scarecrow.
- "As if in answer, a huge bat flies through the open window..."
- Jack Napier from the Tim Burton films shows up as Joe Chill's partner. The question "Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?" is also significant.
- "Do you envision yourself as some noble, dark knight, detective?"
- Bruce calls the Secret Society the Justice Society, and gets corrected.
- Wham Line: "Didn't anyone ever teach you not to be so certain about life? And here I always assumed you'd be as bright as me... Son!"
- World of Badass: Pretty much.