Comic Book / Alison Dare
is not your typical twelve-year-old. She's the daughter of an archaeologist/adventurer and the masked hero known as the Blue Scarab. To top it off, she's also the niece of an international super-spy; it's no surprise that a craving for danger is in her blood! Unfortunately, her parents have locked her away at the prestigious St. Joan's Academy for Girls, hoping that this would lead to a more "normal" life for their daughter.
A one-off graphic novel by J. Torres and published by Tundra Book, a piece of 'juvenile fiction' intended for ages 8-11, Alison Dare finds itself in a similar vein as Indiana Jones
and Tomb Raider.
Tropes associated with this work:
- Action Girl: Alison Dare
- After-School Cleaning Duty: Students who karate-chop nuns are forced to clean erasers after class.
- An Ice Person: Auntie Freeze is a villain with a gun that fires icy blasts and snow.
- Asian and Nerdy: Wendy is Asian and the brains of the trio.
- Back from the Dead: Henry Dare when the god Ra turns him into the Blue Scarab.
- Badass Bookworm: Wendy is implied to be this by hanging out with Alison.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Alison is the Beauty, though she's smart and independent, Wendy is the Brains, and Dot is the Brawn.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Alison learns this in "The 1001 Knights."
- Bed Sheet Ladder: Alison makes one in "The Heart of the Maiden."
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Alison, Dot, and Wendy respectively.
- Boarding School: St. Joan's Academy for Girls
- Brainy Brunette: Wendy
- Cowardly Lion: Wendy is afraid of danger and getting into trouble, but still goes on adventures with her friends.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Dot has the darkest skin out of the trio.
- Fat Girl: Wendy subverts this with her intelligence.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Alison and her mother, Alice Dare
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Alison has bright blue eyes and can be naive around responsibility and some dangerous situations. Alice Dare also has one of these moments when she tries to reason with Baron von Baron in "The Mummy's Child."
- Jerk Ass Genie: The Genie in "The 1001 Knights."
- Master of Disguise: Alison's Uncle Johnny is rarely seen without a disguise, and even when he's not wearing a mask, he doesn't show his face.
- Mummy: Alison tells a Tall Tale that there was a mummy's curse in the Ancient Egyptian tomb her mother discovered with her assistants.
- Nerd: Wendy
- One-Gender School: St. Joan's Academy for Girls
- Punny Name: Auntie Freeze
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: In "The Heart of the Maiden," it is revealed that someone with a snake-like face was impersonating Mother Superior.
- Stern Nun: Mother Superior
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Dot
- The Chosen One: Alison Dare is revealed to be the one to find St. Joan of Arc's heart in "The Heart of the Maiden."
- The Smart Guy: Wendy. She is the most intellectual of the trio, and also fitting the trope, is the least physically fit.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Baron von Baron.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Alison has various abilities, but her lack of experience prevents her from being involved in all the adventures her parents are in.