Hail, hail, the alternate gang's all here.
The second six-issue comic book spin off of the Adventure Time
series. As the name suggests
, it focuses on the gender flipped counterparts, Fionna and Cake, as well as the characters of their universe. This comic was written and drawn by Natasha Allegri
, a character designer of the show who created the characters.
Adventure Time With Fionna and Cake has the following tropes:
- All Just a Dream: The entire 6 issue comic is revealed to be Gunter telling the Ice King a bed time story... one the Ice King can't understand since it's in penguin
- Alternate Continuity: Considering its parent comic and Scream Queens have their own continuity, it's more than likely this one does too. Given the universe's status as a Show Within a Show, this does not matter to the same extent.
- Alternate Universe: Of course.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Issue 4 suddenly moves away from the main plot to focus solely on Lumpy Space Prince.
- Animal Talk: Flame Prince talks lion, but Cake describes it as cat speak with a strong accent.
- Animesque: Lumpy Space Prince's "beautiful face" is akin to a Bishōnen in a bad Yaoi manga, with some of the expressions calling to mind the infamous "yaranaika" face from the bara manga Kuso Miso Technique. These later showed up in the show itself in the next Fionna and Cake episode, which focused on Lumpy Space Prince.
- Art Shift: Issue five opens in sort of a pastal painting style as it details the Ice Queen's origins.
- Brought Down to Normal: The Flame Prince is turned into a Fire Pup after his encounter with the Ice Queen
- Continuity Nod: Cake's still a little miffed at Marshall for the events of Bad Little Boy in the third issue.
- Distressed Dude: Prince Gumball.
- Dying as Yourself: The comic implies that the Ice Queen was once a kindly river nymph who saved a cat that wanted to repay her. However she was mortally wounded while saving the cat from a hazard and it tried to save her life in the form of a jewel that would later become the tiara the Ice Queen wears. Which somewhere down the line, made her crazy and evil. When Ice Queen gets a hold of the soft fire the Flame Prince was holding, it negates the evil within the jewel and brings her back to her senses before she melts.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Indeed, this is his first official appearance of Flame Prince in the series.
- Fun T-Shirt: The "Boy's Night" T-Shirts◊ Fionna wishes up for Gumball, Marshall and herself.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Played with. After the events of "Fionna and Cake" Fionna doesn't trust swords, ultimately she accepts to use Cake "kitty litter sword", and later Prince Gumball grants her a new one (complete with wish granting).
- Important Haircut: Fionna cuts her hair after it accidentally gets set on fire by the Flame Prince. What's more, she even tries to use it to bind The Ice Queen, though the Ice Queen tears through it easily.
- One of the Boys: Fionna complains of this when Gumball and Marshall leave her out of "Boys Night" in the third issue.
- Playing with Fire: Flame Prince, obviously.
- Prolonged Prologue: The first issue starts with a bedtime story told by Cake that takes up a good chunk of the comic.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Gumball ends up in one via magical flan which causes you to fall in love with yourself if you get trapped in it. Marshall has to get Fionna to help him since he claims if he tried, he would be trapped almost instantly since he's "just as handsome".
- Shout-Out: One of the covers of Issue 2◊ parodies Super Mario Bros. 3.
- Spikes of Villainy: The Ice Queen sports these in the final issue.
- Start My Own: Turns out in this universe there isn't a Fire Kingdom, as Flame Prince was mostly raised by vagrant fire pups. At the end of the comic, Gumball and Fionna help create a makeshift volcano so the the Prince and the Fire Pups can have a place to belong. Effectively creating their own kingdom.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Flame Prince is introduced in a loincloth.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Cake looks rather pleased when it seems that Gumball and Marshall are going to make some sort of love confession...and promptly looks disappointed when it turns out they're not.