Cloud Cuckoolander: Fan Fic
Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Bring Me All Your Elderly has movie!Zhao, who is In possession of knowledge from the Super Secret Spirit Library!!!... erm, slightly more unhinged than usual.
- Mattie ("The lamp, by the way, is a terrible conversationalist") and Gilbert ("may or may not be wearing only a cape right now") in Part Right Half Wrong A Third Crazy.
- For a moment, Calvin in the fanfic ''Theories About Nuclear Winter when talking to Susie Derkins about working on a shrimp farm in Florida, and wondering if they farm crabs.
"I'm going to work on a shrimp farm. Or something. Some kind of farm. Do they farm crabs? I mean, they must. It's not like crabs just walk into the grocery store. Though I guess they could if they wanted to. Wouldn't that be funny? I don't know, maybe not. But I guess if I was farming crabs I might get pinched. What?"
- Socrates of Calvin and Hobbes: The Series, who listens to heavy metal music to get to sleep.
- Dungeon Keeper Ami features Cerasse- one of the fairy sisters. She has a thing for Tserk, one of Ami's minions... A tentacle monster- to the extent that she has a great deal of trouble prepareing calimari ("Oh, I can't! The poor little tentacles!"). When the sisters contemplate 'rescueing' Jadeite from Mercury, she is quick to volunteer that they ought to rescue Tserk as well, earning her some strange looks...
- In Teenage Jinchuriki Shinobi, Michelangelo is the only one not disturbed by Jiraya and Gai's poses and behaviorisms, something of which the latter was enough to make Naruto warn his team to not look.
- In Hunting The Unicorn, Nick of the Warblers is a Hot-Blooded stoner who's prone to strange logic despite his general intelligence. He has "three definitions of truth" according to Wes, his Coming-Out Story at sixteen involved getting drunk and high after his mother kicked him out, and when his best friend Jeff is upset at being the last one to find out about his bisexuality, Nick offers to pretend it didn't happen yet. Jeff's response is "Nick, you can't redo coming out!"
- In All the Dementors of Azkaban Harry is depicted as nearly as much of a Cloudcuckoolander as Luna, from trying to "make friends" with Dementors by offering them chocolate to painting Azkaban pink at Luna's request to cheerfully running errands in Diagon Alley for prisoners like the Lestranges.
- In Session Transcripts brain damage from more-abusive-than-canon treatment by the Dursleys results in Harry being extremely Cloudcuckoolander-ish when he shows up at Hogwarts, spouting random remarks like "I can't eat a table, but I tried to eat my door once because I was so hungry. It didn't taste very good and I chipped a tooth." and "Plants talk to me sometimes, but sometimes they're allergic to me and I make them sneeze."
- Ganmed Lomust in Hivefled. Spacey, Obliviously Evil subjugglator who writes truly terrible fanfiction. One of the more popular fantrolls, probably for this exact reason.
- The Lion King Adventures
Zazu: If I had a mango, and you had a mango, then how many mangos would that be altogether?(Pori just stares at Zazu, smiling.)Pori: I like mangos!
- Pori, Zazu's Love Interest in Series Four, is a hyperactive, insane hornbill. It turns out she's faking it, though.
- Harmony Theory: Blaze's speeches are enough to make some fans suspect him to be Pinkie's descendant.
- A Brief History of Equestria mentions that most contemporary portrayals (mainly Hearth's Warming Eve pageants) of Chancellor Puddinghead are severely downgraded from the original, whose behavior bordered on The Caligula mixed with Groucho Marx. In other words, when Pinkie Pie was ranting about 'thinking inside the chimney' and wearing a map on her face, she was trying very hard to be solemn and dignified.
- The Changeling Of The Guard: Exiled changeling protagonist Idol Hooves, having spent most of his life in The Hive and being mostly ignorant as to how the outside world works, has some very strange ideas and thought processes, some of which threaten to expose him for what he truly is. He genuinely has no idea what things like jail cells and cement are, and takes a leisurely stroll through an ancient booby-trapped crypt without realizing that the traps are supposed to be deterring him.
- Gahmah Raan (no, not the author) in Star Wars: Paranormalities. Starting with his debut in Chapter 9 of Episode I, he just comes off as an eccentric Spice addict, is aware of things no one ele would be aware of, and annoys the other bounty hunters on the same contract. However, he is by no means incompetent, as by the end of the bounty hunter arc, he had eliminated nearly all of his competition and captured his target, lure Zolph Vaelor over to Maesterus, and match Zolph in a duel that ends in a stalemate. Still doesn't keep from being fascinated by things like Maesterus's wings and asking if he can keep them.
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fanfic The Long Walk has Leonardo musing on the Original Character Breech Loader, thinking about what it must be like to have to try to be normal. Breech Loader is a Cloudcuckoolander with a badly warped appoach to grasping normality, and a tendency to 'lose it' at the most inappropriate of times. As a quote from the story itself:
Trying to be normal. He wondered what that was like; to try to be normal. Most people were normal, or normality came naturally. Or behaved however they saw as normal. Even most crazy people thought they were normal. Breech was trying to mirror their behaviour to be normal, and like a mirror, it came off wrong. Identical in every way, but somehow wrong; a facade, an illusion. What must it be like, to have to try to be normal?
- Always Having Juice has the alternate universe version of Metal Sonic, whose mental faculties appear to be malfunctioning. He believes he is "The Real Sonic", and frequently tries to prove it using stripes, the true meaning of Hanukkah, and the letter F. The viewers have caught on to his nuttiness, however, thus resulting in questions such as "what is your favorite flavor of frisbee?" (for the record, it's Satanic Death Christ).
- Oddly enough for a war story, Private Lenham Remer in The Legacy Of The Blood Ravens is a perfect example. When he's not kicking ass with his squad, he can be found musing about subjects like Space Bears, and if Space Marines can ride them.
- Mega Man Recut has Dust Man and Metal Man.
- Touhou M-1 Grand Prix has several boke that do this, to contrast with the straight man.
- The main character from Whispers in the Dark, a Percy Jackson and the Olympians fanfiction about the daughter of Thalia and Luke.
- Mattie in Part Right Half Wrong A Third Crazy is a beautiful combination of Cloudcuckoolander and Deadpan Snarker. Where would we be without his arguments with his bedside lamp, among other things?
- Tristan from Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series is a combination of a Cloudcuckoolander and a ditz. Almost every line that he gives is an illogical non-sequitur, such as his randomly given cry of "Burn the Witch!!" and "Take off your clothes!"
- The sad thing is, these two examples are him being coherent in the context of the scene.
- More extreme examples of his Cloudcuckoolandiness include "I like pudding!" and "I farted, it's funny!"
- Marik is this and Poke the Poodle. His evil plans include pushing Yugi off a boat so that his hair will get wet and it'll take hours to dry, and borrowing Yugi's puzzle and not giving it back to him...for at least another 2 months. He also invited Dan Green to the Evil Council because he played a villain in one of the Pokemon movies, and seems to believe that there is a difference between killing someone and just 'destroying them a little'. And then there's the standard weirdness.
Marik: By the way, Bakura, your costume could use some work.
Bakura: ... what?
Marik: I mean, I don't like to criticize, but it looks like your mother made that for you!
Bakura: Marik, this isn't a costume. It's my clothes.
Marik: Well, you could have done a better job is all I'm saying!
Bakura: A better job of WHAT?
- Momoko from Wedding Peach Abridged:
Jamma-P: HEY, I DIDN'T WRITE THIS SCRIPT SO DON'T COMPLAIN TO ME!!!!!
Yuri: Wow, someone needs a nap.
Momoko: Is it me?
Yuri: No. No, it's not Momoko.
- Nappa of Dragon Ball Z Abridged:
Vegeta: Nappa! No! It's a trick!
Nappa: But Vegeta! Trix are for kids...
- Major Raikov in the Metal Gear Solid fanfic Stray is "always the type who took sanity more as a suggestion," to the extent that Ocelot considers Raikov's Psycho Electro boyfriend to be the stabilizing influence in the relationship.
- raocow takes on a persona like this in his Let's Play entries. See: his Kamek's Revenge Let's Play, where he declares a fear of circles and refers to a flower that spits items when fed an egg or enemy to be "an altar to our dark flesh god".
- Demykins from the Kingdom Hearts fanfic Those Lacking Spines behaves in this manner, with a multitude of his lines as shoutouts to other media; when he doesn't quote from various works, he ignores the situation altogether.
- Which is also the common fanfiction depiction of regular old Demyx, because 90% of the people who write fanfiction have absolutely no concept of what makes Demyx Demyx. Or any other character, themselves.
- Viole from the "Towerof God" fanfic Dei Fabula; About to get burned by flames that can melt rods of steel in milliseconds? Ice-cream daydreaming time!
- Not to mention that prior to that, his method of getting rid of a parasite that was mind-controlling the neighbourhood's friendly firebreathing Damsel in Distress was to french kiss her as opposed to simply sticking his fingers down her throat like his canonical counterpart did.
- Farfalla The Butterfly Kitten, a prolific Fan-Fic author and creator of the All-Ages Kirk/Spock Archive, is clearly one of these. Just look at her name. Also, only a Cloudcuckoolander could write This. Or This.
- DRACO MALFOY in A Very Potter Musical.
- Snape is an even bigger example, especially in the Potion Master's Corner.
- And then there's Gilderoy who dreams of becoming king of the mice.
- Marty McSuperfly in Captain Garlic's Let's Play of Icewind Dale 2. Watch out for him when he gets near the wisdom-enhancing items, or goes by the mushroom fields in the Underdark.
- The fan-made role-play Deadly Mistakes has Mathew. Given that he's also a Talkative Loon, he provides a lot of comedy.