open/close all folders
Cyrus Alucard Cain
Cyrus the EyelessCyrus started as a 4th-year Obelisk Blue who owned a large part of the island and was determined to make his last year memorable, starting it off by skydiving down onto the boat. Y'know, the kid that's blind!In the second RP, he's now the headmaster, and much more sober.
- Dark and Troubled Past: One of the worse ones.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Uses Fiends, not to mention a Wicked, and is certainly not evil... though it's debatable if he's good.
- Despair Event Horizon: Took a running leap off the dang thing after River's death.
- Eye Scream: Oh yes.
- Fiction500: Until he's disowned, at which point he has to rely on the island's resources and treaties.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The end of the first RP, where he expels Angie for her extracurricular activities, then promptly offers her a position as Barnaby's TA.
Cyborg BoyAdoptively Cyrus's brother, River was a 4th Year Ra who was almost as crazy as Cyrus. Unfortunately, his attempt to cheer Angie up caused Mind Rape in the form of Eraser showing up, and it just went downhill from there. When the Cult finally showed up, he stormed the ship alone and was caught. In actuality, he joined the Cult and set his plan in motion to save everybody on the island at the cost of his life.
- Artificial Limbs: His arm.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: The reason he's still in Ra... and the reason his arm works the way it does.
- Combat Pragmatist: Beta Blue found out River prefers to taser idiots that sneak onto the island illegally than duel them.
- Dark and Troubled Past: By far the worst.
- Hammerspace: His arm.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Part of his Thanatos Gambit is overusing the Cyberdark cards, making him suffer a heart attack with all of the curse dying with him.
- I Have Many Names: River Finn/River Abel/Skye Abel/Sora, at your service.
- Meaningful Name: Abel, to Cyrus's Cain.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: After it's pulled off by Saturday, he quickly comes up with a name and says he's his twin.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Where'd that Yami card go?
Kira and Raito-chan
Till death do us partKira and Rai are split personalities that inhabit a 14-year-old body. They were legally Cyrus's brother, as River was, but they were adopted by him after he was disowned.
The Straightforward Dueling GirlA girl who started out in Ra Yellow, but was demoted shortly after the start of the roleplay due to invalidating the no-unauthorised-uses insurance bonus. Currently Anna O'Grady's roommate. She made it to Duel Academy with the Dark Red Enchanter, her Duel Spirit, but has recently reworked her deck for the tournament. Currently kinda dead.Roleplayed by: Iniquitus The Third
- Aerith and Bob
- All There in the Manual: Check the signup thread for details.
- Angrish: Quite apart from the whole 'losing the ability to speak' deal, her sanity rapidly erodes after seeing a (fake) Anna decapitated.Tsuki: ''Kill you... End you...'
- Awesomeness by Analysis: What she wouldn't give to be this...
- Although Angela seems to believe she's got the makings.
- Badass Normal: Of a sort. Her efforts did lead to Anna surviving against Raviel and being the only one of the five where the good guys made a net gain in situation (Tsuki for Raviel), though she did have to give her life to achieve that.
- Break the Haughty
- Bifauxnen: Enough to be mistaken for a guy at least twice when dressing up for a dinner date with Anna. note
- Can't Catch Up: Discussed.Tsuki: "Why am I the only halfway-stupid person here? There's a crazy-skilled Yellow, his crazy-crazy rival, a crazy-lucky Red, and a crazy-smart fourteen-year-old teacher! I'm just a girl, for goodness' sakes! How am I meant to compete?"
- Dark and Troubled Past: One of the few people in the Yu-Gi-Oh!-verse to avert this.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Just like every other character who isn't ab/using a Light deck, this applies.
- Except her new trump card just gave her hallucinations and manipulated her into nearly killing her best friend. Surprise!
- Dark Magical Girl: And now she's even getting the powers! With a little outside help, of course...
- Diabolus ex Machina: Raviel's about to be eliminated by Laevateinn's effect a la Dreadroot, Tsuki's back in control if a little worse for the wear, it's starting to look like there might be a happy end— whoops, there goes half of the female cast.
- Disney Death: Averted. She gets stabbed in the upper torso by a massive sword and graphically bleeds out on-page.
- Expy: Of Setsuna, but only in appearance.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: She did not take being busted down to Red in her stride.
- And happens again, in a mixture of despair and self-hatred, when she runs from the scythe-wielding crocodilian Tyrant Neptune, then beats herself up for doing the sane thing and trying to get to safety without trying to evacuate the entire building.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Although one might argue that Raviel did force it to some extent.
- Hoisted By Her Own Petard: Tried to defeat Raviel by baiting him into destroying a monster, then using Nordic Relic Laevateinn. It... didn't work.
- I Just Want to Be Special
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
- Innocent InnuendoTsuki: "I can take you two guys any which way you want!"Michael: "Um, Tsuki? You may wanna rephrase that..."
- Idiot Ball
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: And she reappears, surprisingly. Then she gets killed.
- Large Ham: Has an almost Anime-level habit of calling out (and inventing) names for her monsters' attacks and abilities.
- Nausea Fuel: In-universe, the nastier Duel Spirits being near her.
- Precision F-Strike
- Properly Paranoid: Temporarily, during the Battle Royale duel.
- She is Not My Girlfriend: With Johnny. Might get a bit harder to explain away once their little kiss on the last night on the island becomes widely known.
- Ship Tease: Remind us why you licked her forehead when becoming more friendly with her again, Jerry?
- The Voiceless: Loses her speech functions as a cost for accepting Raviel's patronage.
- Tsundere: Shifts from 'haughty-and-arrogant-tsun' to 'friendly-and-regretful-dere' as time passes. A more subdued version of this trope than in other cases.
- Unwanted Harem: More so than any other character, at least.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: In her defense, Sean's player actually asked for it to be changed so he gets hit.
Bookworm Warrior DuellistA Ra Yellow Duellist from a distant foreign land. His duel spirit is Gearfried the Iron Knight. He is short and thin. His hair is brown, and he wears rectangular spectacles. His duelling disk is remarkably similar to Gearfried's sword.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: his duel disk.
- Aerith and Bob
- Blood Brothers: with Jerry.
- Blue and Orange Morality: hinted at.
- Calling Your Monsters' Attacks
- Cool Sword: has a few on the walls of his room.
- Katanas Are Just Better: and one of those, too.
- Large Ham: If he thinks his winning.
- Meaningful Name: subverted. Ryu means 'Dragon' in Japanese, but Ryu doesn't use any dragons. Lampshaded by Jerry:Jerry: "Ryu... That means 'dragon', doesn't it? There's an irony there. You don't have dragons, but Scott does. And "Scott" means "guy from Scottland", and then since you're not using Celtic Guardian, the whole thing kinda breaks down and we should probably forget I mentioned it. I can't blame you for not having a Scottish guy in your deck on the off-chance you were ever in the same place as a guy named Scott who had dragons in his."
- Shout-Out: his last name, to the Battle for Wesnoth add-on Era of Magic.
- The Quiet One
- That Came Out Wrong:Ryu: "Let's enjoy Jerry ripping Scott apart, shall we?"Tsuki: "Yes, let's-" -narrows eyes- "What's that supposed to mean?"Ryu: "Oops."
- Theme Deck: he runs a Warriors deck.
Class is in session!A professor at the academy, head of the Slifer Red dorms along with Angela Rath.
- Action Survivor
- Badass Bookworm: Typically averted. Although it's been implied that he can handle himself in combat, most of his (rare) attempts at heroism have ended badly.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: More destructive urges aside, Barnaby's time with Dreadroot was closer to living with an annoying roommate than anything.
- Informed Ability: He's supposedly quite good with a gun. As it happens, firearms aren't terribly useful against malevolent spirits.
- Meaningful Name: It doesn't come up much, but Barnaby's middle name is Roy, after Roy Khan from Kamelot.
- Plot Tumor: The bulk of his existence, particularly in the first RP, where an entire city's worth of supporting characters showed up just to help flesh out his character.
Sleeping in class again, Scott?The Ra Yellow student who's supposedly the next best duelist since River Finn. He's also narcoleptic, really short, with blue hair and tan skin. Also, he runs a dragon synchro deck.Roleplayed by Kuiper
- Ambiguously Brown: Scott's naturally tan. With naturally blue hair. This is probably anyone's best guess.
- Bi the Way: Pretty much. However, this isn't mentioned until the second RP, when thinking about Rai. In the first, his crush on Blair was obvious.
- Berserk Button : It's quitting or giving up, in case you haven't noticed.
- Two people have prompted it to be pushed; once, he threatened Professor Loatheless for even considering giving up(along with River), and more recently, Jerry actually accused him of not fighting back when things get rough. It prompted him to accept the shadow game.
- Determinator: In the first RP, by sheer determination, he broke a curse Skye was transferring over to him, after having sustained massive damage from SWORD.
- Informed Ability: An odd case. In the first RP, Scott was reasonably good, though lost a plot-important duel. In the second, he's lost both his duels so far.
- Only Sane Man: Feels like it sometimes. He may be right, too...
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: To Jerry's red oni. He has tendencies to distract himself from his emotions, is rather calm, and tends to go with the flow.
- Sleepy Head: Scott's personal problem.
- Talking in Your Dreams: To his duel spirit, Stardust Dragon.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Done a few times, usually to the confusion of whoever's
carrying himaround him at the time.
- The Napoleon: Averted. Scott's shorter than most, if not all, the main cast, but he's perhaps the gentlest.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Played totally straight.
- White and Gray Morality: Scott's world view.
The self-proclaimed greatest duelist on the islandA student who insists he's only in Slifer Red because the entrance exams don't give points for style, until he revealed that he intentionally slacked off during them. His duel spirit is Giant Germ. He is rather average height and weight-wise. He keeps his brown hair tied back in a ponytail, and he wears contact lenses.Roleplayed by: tachikaze
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- Dark Is Not Evil: His deck is full of DARK attribute fiend monsters but he tends to be a fairly nice guy.
- Handsome Lech
- Large Ham: He has his moments.
- Underdogs Never Lose: Invoked and discussed. He slacked off during the entrance exams because he thinks a Slifer Red student winning against the Blues is seem as more impressive than a Yellow doing the same, and he conversed with Tsuki about how the Slifers seem to have ridiculous luck.
The Brutal BlueThe only Obelisk Blue PC in the RP thus far. Firmly believes himself and his Blue dormmates to be superior to all others on the island, except teachers. Blond-haired, blue-eyed with a slightly broken nose from an old school scrap.Roleplayed by: EviIPaladin
- Chewing the Scenery: One has to wonder if the abandoned warehouse where he fought Johnny is still standing, after they feasted on it.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: Engages in a delightfully hammy duel with Johnny. The term 'Took a running jump off the cliffs of sanity' was used.
- Hearing Voices: Insanity Berry for Sean.
- Jerkass: Read anything this guy says. Seriously.
- Meaningful Name: "Abue" is an anagram of "Beau", French for "Beautiful".
- Large Ham: He seems to transmute all of his jerkass-ness into pure ham the moment he puts on a Duel Disk.
Sean: "Fear? HA! I laugh at fear! You shall not scare me with fire and brimstone! You who is scared of fire shall learn of a new fear: the fear of the cleansing light! It shall burn you without fire! It shall scar you without marks! It shall kill you without laying a finger on you! Watch as it ends your sight! Listen as it ends your hearing! Cry as it ends your voice! There shall be no escape from the light! The light I, Sean Abeu, shall channel into my victory! DRAW!"
- Special mention goes to his hilariously dramatic activation of Final Countdown and his Motive Rant followup against Johnny:
- Light Is Not Good: Runs a LIGHT Fairy deck and is probably the most arrogant and rude character, causing most of the RPers to suffer an urge to sock him in the face, if not kill him in his sleep.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Does this to try and make others feel inferior. Doesn't seem to phase the others though.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Occassionally slips up from his Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness.
Jerk With A Heart Of CrazyGiery is a jerk, plain and simple. His whole M.O. seems to be to battle Sean over who can kick more baby puppies the furthest. Recently, he was the only PC (though he is a PC no longer) to not make it to the Top 8 in the tournament, leading him to taunt Tsuki into losing before being bodily removed by Armstrong.
- A God Am I: Declared he would be worshipped as a god after he stole Dead!River's cards.
- He did it again in his Shadow Duel with Johnny.
- Stupid Evil: So you're hanging by your neck after you attacked a teacher that revealed s/he could easily kill you, and what do you do? Giery thinks that the answer is to yell at him/her to do his/her worst. Plot Armor as a PC was all that protected him from a quick Neck Snap.
- Hypo Crite: After he looked through Dead!River's deck, he declared that LIGHT monsters were wimpy. Giery (at the time) was using what amounted to a LIGHT Fairy deck.
- Jerk Ass: Definately.
The Wild Man of Slifer RedScott's self-appointed rival, Jerry Parker is his opposite in many ways; tall, fierce, and energetic, with pale skin and blood-red hair, Jerry has made it his mission to claw his way to the top of Duel Academy's food chain. To that end, he's eager to take on everyone, but he's had his eyes set on taking Scott down since he first saw him. Jerry's Duel Spirit is Jurrac Titano, a towering dinosaur with a gruff attitude and a sharp wit, but a good heart under it all.Roleplayed by: Scrounge
- Animal Motifs: Jerry has something of a dinosaur theme going on.
- Anti-Hero: Definitely not as nice as Scott
- Beast Man: With his reptillian eyes, sharp teeth, and animalistic behavior, Jerry can be seen as this.
- Bishōnen: despite his more animalistic features, Jerry is tall, trim, and fair-skinned, would be able to pass for a typical pretty-boy if he could bother to act like a civilized person.
- Bond Creature: Jurrac Titano. Of all the duelists on the island, Jerry may be the most connected to his Duel Spirit... For good or for ill.
- Calling Your Attacks: Well, those of his monsters. He's yet to get into a fistfight.
- Celibate Hero: Deconstructed, he's obviously got feelings that he's trying to repress.
- Determinator: He and Scott have this in common... Jerry has gone up a mountain on a motorcycle after receiving a chest wound. Before getting any medical attention. This bites him in the ass later on, as he nearly kills himself dueling Scott after those same wounds reopen, and refuses to concede until Titano convinces him to, even though he can't stand by that point.
- Friendless Background: Jerry was ostracized by his small-town peers as a freak.
- Fiery Redhead
- Foil: To Scott
- Informed Loner
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: For someone who doesn't want any friends and sees everyone as a possible enemy, he's actually a fairly decent guy.
- Kick the Dog: Can be pretty verbally abusive towards Scott at times.
- Large Ham: Shouts a lot, gives big speeches on the law of the jungle, tears his shirt off in front of an arena full of people so they can see him bleed? Yep, a mammoth-sized ham.
- Loners Are Freaks: Literally, in this case.
- Nice Hat
- Punny Name: In case it's not obvious, he's named after Jurassic Park.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Very red, with his rival serving as the Blue Oni.
- Ship Tease: Despite his insistence that he's not interested in anyone in that way.
- Smarter Than You Look: Jerry can be surprisingly cunning.
- That Came Out Wrong: Jerry has a problem with Accidental Innuendo.
- Theme Deck: Jerry runs dinosaurs, especially the Jurrac archetype.
- The Rival: To Scott.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Scott (and a few others) as this.
- ...But is starting grow disillusioned with Scott due to their differing worldviews.
The Reckless Inferno of RedJohnny is a 2nd-year and NPC. First appearing in the Red's Girls' Dorm (helping girls unpack, of course), Johnny is something of a gentleman to teachers and girls. He's also very well-connected on the island, as far as owed favors and such, and part of a group of Slifer Reds that help each other advance by pooling their resources before each exam. According to him (and shown by his duel with Sean), he is a very good Duelist, but his deck cannot stand up to the requirments that exam duels force upon him, and nobody will duel him anymore because he defeats them; no duels, no DP, no new cards, and he can't fix his deck for exams. His deck is a FIRE-themed deck with many Trap Monsters, and he hails from Detroit- in this universe, an arsonist-filled hellhole.He also seems to have a darker side to him. He provides the Hand Wave for Ryoga's leaving the plot by having a friend plant marijuana in Ryoga's room to get him kicked off the island, and obtained cards from a shipment which he passed to Tsuki and Sean. His main interactions in the RP so far have been with Tsuki, as well.Currently blinded by Uria and in the Arctic Circle with Giery.
- Achey Scars: Possibly his back, according to an exchange with Uria.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After his hamtastic duel with Sean, he hands him an apparently powerful card. While this seems... rather crazy under the circumstances, said card seemed to have a Duel Spirit within that was affecting Johnny and he wanted to dump it quickly.
- Disability Superpower: Averted. While blind, he can barely stand up, let alone walk. Relying on sound disorients him, too.
- Large Ham: See his duel with Sean. It is quite magnificent.
- Mysterious Employer: Possibly works for one.
- Playing with Fire: Notable because he apparently hates fire after someone close to him died in an arsonfire back home, but uses his deck in memory of them.
- She is Not My Girlfriend: Tsuki. Of course, it's hard to believe that with all he's done for her, and even calling her beautiful at one point. And now kissed her.
The Golden-Hearted Girl With A Mafia ConnectionA cheery, emotionally connected girl, and Slifer Red student. Tsuki's roommate, and the little sister of Blake from the last RP. Her unique gift is the ability to feel what others are feeling, to an extent. Always there with a smile and a positive comment, she's one of the happier characters in the roleplay.(Formerly) Roleplayed by darksidevoid. Currently automated by Sarcastically Insane
- Berserk Button: Tsuki being insulted, especially after their duel.
- Break the Cutie: Your best friend getting impaled in front of you and your indecision costing her the possibility of surviving would do that to you.
- Designated Girl Fight
- Friend to All Living Things
- She Cleans Up Nicely: ...So where did you get the evening gown from, again?
- The Heart
Your connection to the Pro LeagueMilton is Scott's cousin, and a duelist in the Pro League. According to him, he's one of the lesser-known duelists that have a very hard time because they don't have as many connections or fame. He was the one who got Scott into dueling, though he didn't know that until recently.Currently, he's managed to give Jerry, Ryu, and Sean an opportunity to get into the Pro Leagues by pulling in connections.
- Ambiguously Brown: Considering his cousin is this, it's not surprising.
- Face–Heel Turn
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Averted. He hits Anna, and it's implied that if Parshath hadn't intervened, it would have killed her.
- Informed Ability: Milton has been mentioned as a pro duelist for quite some time. We've never seen his deck, or what it includes. Could just be because it hasn't come up, though.
- Uncle Pennybags: In a way. Showed up and gave Jerry (and, on Jerry's request, Ryu and Sean) a shot at the Pro Leagues.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Well, navy, but close enough.
Various Duel Spirits also play a part in the RP. Most characters have a personal Spirit as of the 2nd RP, though only Barnaby, Angela, and Cyrus had one in the first RP thanks to the curse- and even then, only because their Spirits were varying degrees of evil.
Wicked SpiritsThe Wickeds are The Wicked Avatar, The Wicked Eraser, and The Wicked Deadroot. Respectively, their cards are owned by Cyrus, Angie, and Barnaby. Each represents a different facet of evil; insanity, pain, and destruction.
The Wicked AvatarUsually shortened to just 'Avatar', its visual form is a formless black mass that can change into various things.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of insanity.
- Bored with Insanity: Avatar is the second oldest existence in the universe, after The Winged Dragon of Ra itself. He's been dealing with the end of the world enough, and really doesn't care all that much anymore, especially since Cyrus is so entertaining. It also helps that there's enough crazy on and around the island for him to stay relatively strong.
- Eldritch Abomination: Though not an antagonistic one.
The Wicked EraserUsually shortened to 'Eraser', 'dick', or unintelligible whimpers, Eraser resembles a corrupted Slifer- mainly because he is. Currently sealed deep underground, far away enough from other people to prevent a sudden plot derailment.
The Wicked DeadrootUsually shortened to "Deadroot", "Dreadroot", or "Bob", Deadroot is a corrupted version of Obelisk.
Other SpiritsOther spirits on the island may or may not eventually get categorized more specifically in the time coming.
Hamon, the Lord of Striking ThunderAs of this edit, revealed to be the Spirit sitting in Sean's head. Borderline crazy, and tAlKs LiKe ThIs.
- Grand Theft Me: The second possible explanation of his effect on Sean.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: With extra holding-your-head-under-the-water for bonus value!
- Shock and Awe: It's all in the name.
- This Is Your Brain on Evil: His effect on Sean is either this or Grand Theft Me, since he's capable of talking with Sean normally during all this.
- You Fool!: To the level of bordering on...
Uria, Lord of Searing FlamesA spirit that made a deal with Johnny's subconsious in order to un-seal itself. Has been described as Eraser Up to Eleven but without the success.
- Grand Theft Me: To Johnny. Johnny broke out of it, though.
Stardust DragonScott's enigmatic, and mostly quiet, duel spirit. He hasn't been a big impact on the current story, but has affected Scott's previous life, at least in so far as Scott thinks he has.
- Painting the Medium: As with most duel spirits. His speech is purple.
- The Quiet One: Stardust doesn't speak nearly as often as the other spirits.
The Tyrant Neptune
The Splendid Venus
Gearfried the Iron KnightRyu's duel spirit; been with him since before he went to the Academy. Has a tendency to make annoying comments.
Jurrac TitanoJerry's Duel Spirit, the two have been inseparable since they met.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Large Ham - One of the many traits Titano shares with Jerry, though he's the less hammy of the two.
Dark Red EnchanterTsuki's ex-Duel Spirit. Apparently, he only recently became aware that Tsuki could hear him, and vice versa. Has since been ditched after Tsuki switches up her deck.
- Broad Strokes: Technically, he fought alongside Yami Yugi against the Wicked Gods in their first appearance, but it hasn't had an effect on the plot at all.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Quite a nice guy, by all accounts.
- Put on a Bus: Apparently, Micheal has him now. Hasn't helped his appearance rate at all, though.