open/close all folders
In Code: Embryo
Voiced by: Yukitoshi Kikuchi
- Height: 173cm
- Weight: 59kg
- Age: 16
- Date of Birth: July 20
- Birthplace: Shin Yokozaki City
- Hobbies: Walks, current events, bonsai
- Likes: Harmony
- Dislikes: Violence
The protagonist of Code: Embryo. He was the Sole Survivor of the Wadatsumi Incident 10 years ago, in which a mysterious black storm destroyed a large part of Shin Yokozaki City, but has no memory from before the event. He grew up alongside Hinata in the same orphanage before being taken in by Yuki and works at the Maha☆Raja~ Curry Shop to pay rent, despite her insistence he doesn’t have to, while attending Hakuo North Academy.
While exploring the Restricted Ward one night, he was attacked by a Union and rescued by Es. He is then recruited to work with the Mitsurugi Agency because of his ability to sense a Union’s Discover Call. It turns out his body contains the Original Grimoire, an ancient and powerful artifact that can access the power of the Black Beast, which lets him absorb life energy with Soul Eater or power himself up with XBlaze but can turn him into the Black Beast if he loses control. At the end of Code: Embryo, he starts wielding Es’s Vow Crystal Seal Blade: Murakumo.
In truth the real Touya Kagari died before the Wadatsumi Incident, due to developing a Drive when he was to young to handle it. The current Touya is the result of Hinata using the Embryo to turn the Original Grimoire into a clone of the real Touya, making her the true cause of the Wadatsumi Incident. The current Touya inherits the Drive that killed the original, the ability to turn his own blood into weapons, most likely Bloodedge.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: When the will of the Original Grimoire speaks to him, it appears in the form of Ripper.
- Accidental Pervert: He ends up walking in on Es, Hinata and Kuon in the shower at various points among other situations. Notably, he doesn’t get hit with Pervert Revenge Mode because of it, and in the case of Es and Hinata’s bath he leaves without them even noticing him.
- Afraid of Blood: He throws up when he first sees one of Ripper’s victims. Downplayed in that this is the only time it happens and that he is a normal person who saw a body that is implied to have died very gruesomely.
- Amnesiac Hero: Touya does not remember anything from before the Wadatsumi Incident. This is because he has no earlier memories. He was “born” during the incident.
- And Then Touya Was The Black Beast: In several of Code: Embryo’s bad endings he goes into an Unstoppable Rage, losing control of the Original Grimoire and becoming a Black Beast.
- Apologizes a Lot: Especially when Mei berates him. Which pisses her off since she tells him to stop apologizing.
- Artifact of Doom: The Original Grimoire inside of him. It draws on the power of the Black Beast in the Boundary and is complete unlike Ragna’s Azure Grimoire. It can power itself up by releasing Fog of Doom that absorbs seithr and souls into him, as well as endangering him to turn into a Black Beast if he loses control.
- Artificial Human: The real Touya died 10 years ago. The current Touya is the Original Grimoire turned human by Hinata hijacking the Embryo creation experiment.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Touya’s Original Grimoire draws on the power of the Black Beast from the Boundary that risks turning him into a Black Beast, while being an incredibly Nice Guy.
- Berserk Button: While he hates seeing anyone close to him hurt, he seems to react even more violently when something happens to Hinata. In the two bad endings where he turns into the Black Beast, either Hinata is killed by Ripper or he discovers that she is the Embryo.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While he may be a Nice Guy extraordinaire and only even becomes a Technical Pacifist as a last resort, if you get him angry he will go into an Unstoppable Rage and unleash the full power of the Original Grimoire and potentially become the Black Beast.
- BFS: Wields the insanely long Murakumo from the climax of Code: Embryo onward. When Es takes it back, he uses his Drive to create a replica of the Murakumo out of his own blood.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Whenever he loses control of the Original Grimoire.
- Bloody Murder: The original Touya’s Drive let him shape his blood into weapons. The current Touya inherits this ability in the climax of Lost: Memories. While it is never named, it is very likely this Drive is the same as Naoto’s, Bloodedge.
- Blue Is Heroic: Primarily wears blue and is an amiable and heroic Nice Guy. Don't try to anger him, however.
- Butt Monkey: A lot of comedy comes from his treatment by Mei and Ringo.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: When Touya returns home after his first encounter with a Union he finds Es already waiting for him before Mei and Unomaru come to investigate him. Es is then assigned to be his protector/keep surveillance on him before Unomaru guilt trips him into working with the Mitsurugi Agency.
- Casting a Shadow: Like with Ragna, Touya’s Black Beast powers manifest in the form of dark energy. His Restriction Release (Soul Eater) creates a black mist that drains everything around him and when he starts to lose control his hands turn into demonic claws.
- Childhood Friends: With Akira and Hinata. Touya and Hinata grew up together in the same orphanage and became Like Brother and Sister, while he becomes friends with Akira after he would step in to protect Akira when he got into fights at school, leading them becoming best friends.
- Cloning Blues: The original Touya tied 10 years ago at age 6. During the experiment to temper the Embryo, Hinata used its power to try and revive her Only Friend. This caused turned the Original Grimoire into a clone of Touya, but also caused the Wadatsumi Incident due to the Original Grimoire going berserk and using Soul Eater to steal the souls necessary to complete its transformation.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Due to a combination of his Survivor Guilt and his only memory of his mother telling him to “Protect,” Touya will rush in to try and stop any fight he sees. In the past he would intervene when Akira would get into fights and in the present he tries to gets involved in the Union fights at great personal risk, even stepping in to protect a violent Drive-Infected Akira from Es.
- Combination Attack: He and Es defeat Freaks by charging him from opposite sides and slashing his Crystal at the same time.
- The Conscience: He becomes this for Es, by letting her know (indirectly) more about empathy and feelings. This causes her to slowly grow some emotions.
- Cool Sword: The Vow Crystal Seal Blade: Murakumo and the version of it made of his blood.
- Covert Pervert: While he in general seems pretty good about avoiding this, there are a couple of times where this is called into question. When he accidentally ends up spying on Es and Hinata in the bath, he stops and watches them for quite a while before he realizes he should leave. In Lost: Memories, when he encounters the revived naked Es, his gaze (which is shown from his perspective) lingers on her chest for just a bit too long before he looks away and tells her to wear his jacket. Although this might be due to him suffering a case of Wistful Amnesia when seeing her and him being too shocked to look away.
- Disappeared Dad: Since he has no memory of him, Touya doesn’t know anything about his dad or what happened to him. It is heavily implied in Lost: Memories that Avenge is his (or rather, the original Touya’s) father.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: Unlocks XBlaze to fight Sechs in the climax of Code: Embryo and his Drive while fighting Freaks in the climax of Lost: Memories.
- Enemy Within: The Original Grimoire’s will, that appears in the form of Ripper, although it ultimately isn’t as much of an enemy as it first appeared and it teaches him how to use Awakening Release (XBlaze).
- Energy Absorption: The Original Grimoire can absorb and store the seithr around him, either passively or stealing it with Restriction Release (Soul Eater). It is strong enough to let him destroy the Wadatsumi Gate and absorb all of the seithr it released.
- Expy: he's a mix of Ragna and Shirou Emiya.
- Fog of Doom: The form of his Soul Eater. It can steal the life force, seithr or even souls of anyone it touches.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Inherits Es' weapon, Vow Crystal Seal Blade: Murakumo at the end of Code: Embryo and continues to use one after she reclaims it, since he makes a replica of it with his Drive.
- Heroic BSOD: He freaks out when he learns that he is just a clone made from the Original Grimoire, questioning his existence and the value of his life. Mei is able to convince him that he is still Touya and helps him accept it.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Akira.
- Idiot Hair
- Ill Boy: The original Touya developed his Drive when he was 6 years old, but was too young to handle the power and became weak because of it. He died overexerting himself by trying to help Hinata escape from the Wadatsumi Lab.
- Invocation: "Code: Soul Eater! XBLAZE, IGNITE!"
- Life Drain: Restriction Release (Soul Eater) can absorb life energy. It can even absorb souls, as seen when the out of control Original Grimoire caused the Wadatsumi Incident by using this ability.
- Like Brother and Sister: With Hinata. They grew up in the same orphanage and despite never referring to each other as brother or sister, they are basically family to each other and have no romantic feelings for the other.
- Living Macguffin: All of the villains target him since the Original Grimoire is necessary to finish tempering the Embryo.
- Luminescent Blush: Whenever he ends up in an Accidental Pervert incident. The most noticeable one is in Lost: Memories where, the day after he carried the newly human and naked Es back to the Himezuru residence, Es thanks him for helping her. This causes him to remember seeing her naked, making him blush and claim he didn’t see anything. Hinata has no idea why he is blushing or what he is talking about.
- Mana Drain: Restriction Release (Soul Eater) can also steal seithr. When he first releases it he steals all of the seithr stored in Ripper’s Crystal, weakening him to the point where Avenge can easily finish him off.
- Martyr Without a Cause: Because of his Survivor Guilt, he feels that his life is of less value than anyone else, so he continuously throws himself into fights and getting himself hurt.
- Missing Mom: His mother, Ryoko Kagari, died after causing the Wadatsumi Incident. She actually died after forcibly shutting down the T-System, which let Hinata hijack the Original Grimoire, causing the incident.
- Mistaken for Pedophile/Wife Husbandry: Ringo accuses him of this upon first meeting Es, saying she’s too young to have a boyfriend and wondering if he is trying to raise her to be his ideal wife.
- Must Make Amends: He already felt Survivor Guilt from the Wadatsumi Incident, but when Unomaru tells him that his mother caused the incident, he joins the Mitsurugi Agency to combat the Unions that were created because of the incident as a form of atonement for him surviving and his mother’s actions.
- Nice Guy: Is kind to everyone around him and tries to stop any fight he sees, regardless of his safety. Just don’t piss him off.
- No One Gets Left Behind: A firm believer in this. He is absolutely furious when Es tells him they should run away from Acht, who had kidnapped Hinata, and then tries to Shoot the Hostage, going so far as to say he can’t even look at her face after what she did.
- Non-Action Guy: For most of Code: Embryo he is only a Sensor Character and doesn’t want to hurt anyone, although he is willing to jump into the fight to protect someone he cares about. Towards the end of the game he takes a level in badass and evolves into a Technical Pacifist.
- One-Winged Angel: His transformation into the Black Beast, which leads to a Bad Ending.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Starts out mostly normal, aside from being the Sole Survivor of the Wadatsumi Incident.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: When he finds Es in the Restricted Ward after she revives, at first he is confused about how he knows her name. He then realizes she is naked. we see how he reacts from his perspective, first awkwardly staring at her chest in shock for a few seconds before closing his eyes and then telling her to put on his jacket.
- Protectorate: Is this to Es. At first only because she was ordered to protect him, but as she develops more emotions, she does this because she cares for him and wants to, even betraying the Mitsurugi Agency to protect him.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His eyes turn red when he activates XBlaze.
- Replacement Goldfish: Because Hinata used the power of the Embryo to wish for her Only Friend, the original Touya, to come back to life, the Original Grimoire became a clone of him to be this for her. Since Hinata loses her memory from before the Wadatsumi Incident, she doesn’t even know he replaced anyone.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: Aside from sometimes at home, working at Maha☆Raja~, or at the pool, he is always wearing his school uniform. Even when fighting Unions.
- Second Year Protagonist: In class 2B of Hakuo North Academy.
- Sensor Character: He can detect the Discover Call emitted by a Union when they use their Drive. He has an unprecedented range with this ability, able to hear Discover Calls up to a distance of 300 meters, whereas Es can only do so up to 10 meters.
- Spider-Sense: Because he can sense a Drive, he can sense when a Union is about to attack and either react or warm someone before it happens.
- Shaping Your Attacks: His Drive, most likely Bloodedge, lets him shape his blood into weapons. He creates a copy of the Murakumo after Es returns and reclaims it.
- Single-Stroke Battle: His battle against Sechs from the first time loop consists entirely of this, with Touya destroying Sechs’s Crystal in one slash.
- Sole Survivor: The only person left alive after the Wadatsumi Incident that he knows of; Hinata, Unomaru and Avenge also survived.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Es. Es confesses her feelings for him after inheriting the Embryo and kisses him but she has to stay in the Boundary and erases herself from the timeline. However, this is subverted in Lost: Memories where Es returns as a human and they can be together, working alongside each other under Mei in the her new organization.
- Summon to Hand: Apparently an ability of the Vow Crystal Seal Blade: Murakumo. It materializes in his hands before he fights Freaks.
- Super Mode: Awakening Release (XBlaze), which lets him use the seithr absorbed by the Original Grimoie to increase his power and speed to superhuman levels.
- Superpower Meltdown: This is what happens if he loses control of his Original Grimoire; it turns him into the Black Beast. This also happens to the original Touya when he overused his blood manipulation Drive and died.
- Survivor Guilt: Hates that he was the Sole Survivor of the Wadatsumi Incident, feeling he doesn’t deserve to be the only one alive while everyone else died, even feeling responsible for the incident because of it. This leads him to become a Martyr Without a Cause and develop Chronic Hero Syndrome, wanting to repent for this.
- Take Up My Sword: After Sechs near fatally wounds Es and drops her into the Boundary, Touya picks up the Murakumo to fight Sechs in her place.
- Taking the Bullet: Constantly attempts this due to his Chronic Hero Syndrome. doing this to protect Akira from Es allows Akira to regain control of himself and rip the Crystal out of his arm.
- Technical Pacifist: He becomes this once he stops being a Non-Action Guy. He doesn’t want to fight, and always tries to talk down Unions so they can get treatment, and if that doesn’t work he will try to defeat them non-lethally. However, he realizes if there is no other option to stop someone besides killing them, he will do it. He killed Sechs because he was simply far too powerful and couldn’t be stopped any other way and he shows absolutely no hesitation when it comes to killing Freaks.
- Tomato in the Mirror: The real Touya Kagari died in the Wadatsumi Laboratory before the Wadatsumi Incident. The current one is the Original Grimoire given human form by Hinata using the Embryo in an attempt to revive the original.
- Took a Level in Badass: First when he learns to unleash the Original Grimoire without losing control, which he uses to save Es from Drei with Soul Eater. Then again at the end of the game when he takes up Es’s Murakumo and activates XBlaze. He takes an even larger one by the time of Lost: Memories, having trained with Mei and been hunting Unions to hone his skills.
- Twice Shy: With Es. He can’t tell how she feels due to her being an Emotionless Girl and later he cannot consciously remember her so he is unsure of his own feelings.
- Unstoppable Rage: Unless you want to face the full power of the Black Beast, don’t piss him off. If your lucky he’ll just drain all of the seithr from your body, leaving you incredibly weak. Otherwise he might absorb everything, including your soul and turn into the Black Beast, causing the End of the World as We Know It.
- Unwanted Harem: Subverted. Akira accuses him of this because he is always hanging around with a lot of girls, but out of all of them, only Es has any romantic feelings for him (at least in the canon route).
- Vomit Discretion Shot: When he sees one of Ripper’s victims, he pukes, although we don’t see it do to the limits of the visual novel sprites..
- What the Hell, Hero?: The only time he gets mad at someone who isn’t evil is when Es suggests leaving Hinata, who has been kidnapped by Acht, so they can escape and then tries to kill Acht with Hinata still in the way. He is absolutely furious that she would even consider sacrificing Hinata so they could escape, yelling at her for only caring about saving him and telling her to stay away from him since he can’t even stand looking at her face after what she did.
- Wistful Amnesia: At the end of Code: Embryo after Es removes herself from the timeline Touya starts crying, feeling that someone is missing but he doesn’t know why. In Lost: Memories he visits the Restricted Ward where he first encountered a Union he reminisces about the event but realizes he can’t remember who it was that saved him. Afterwards, when he finds the now human Es, he calls out her name despite not actually remembering her. It is unclear whether or not he regained his memories of her by the end of the game. It's all implied to be the work of The Power of Love.
Voiced by: Mayuka Nomura
- Height: 149 cm
- Weight: 38 kg
- Age: 5
- Date of Birth: October 15
- Birthplace: Wadatsumi Laboratory
- Hobbies: Intelligence gathering
- Likes: Pudding
- Dislikes: Japanese pears
The main heroine of Code: Embryo and the true protagonist of Lost: Memories. She is a Manifest Boundary Contact Prime Field Device, an Artificial Human created by Unomaru to work for the Mitsurugi Agency, in which she is a member of the Counter-Psychica Soldier Unit, Sleipnir. Her true purpose, as the Embryo Storage, is to house the Embryo and control its power.
After rescuing Touya, Unomaru assigns her to act as his bodyguard. She moves in to the Himezuru residence and transfers into his class so she can guard him at all times. Since she has no experience outside of combat, she is initially very quiet and emotionless, but the wider range of experiences she gains while guarding Touya allow her to begin acting more human. She wields the Vow Crystal Seal Blade: Murakumo, a Legacy Weapon that can easily destroy a Union’s Crystal.
After inheriting the complete Embryo from Hinata and gaining knowledge by coming into contact with the Master Unit: Amaterasu, Es gained the ultimate Power of God, Phenomenon Intervention. However, she stayed in the Boundary because otherwise the Embryo would cause distortions in the world. From there she used most of the Embryo’s power to create the World of the Tsukuyomi to act as a barrier between the Boundary and open Wadatsumi Gate. Unfortunately, in her weakened state she no longer had the power to directly Intervene on the world, meaning she could only watch as Touya, Kuon, Mei and Elise were brutally murdered by Freaks. After resetting the world countless times to try and change this tragic fate, and failing every time, Es fell into despair. In an attempt to end her pain and heartbreak she purges her memories and scatters them throughout the World of the Tsukuyomi where they took the form of Memory Fragments and transformed the world into the Phantom Field. Her body containing the Embryo retained a will of its own to maintain the Tsukuyomi, creating Nobody.
Due to Watashi’s plan, Es is able to return to the real world in a normal human body. Her sealed left eye contains Nobody's Phantom Memories, which lets her activate Watashi’s Phantom Memory: XBlaze.
- Action Girl
- Ambidextrous Sprite: Especially noticeable due to her giant question mark shaped ahoge constantly reversing.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: After inheriting the Embryo, Es gains the Power of God through Phenomenon Intervention but has to stay in the Boundary to seal the Wadatsumi Gate and prevent more distortions to the timeline, so she erases herself from the timeline and creates the World of the Tsukuyomi as a buffer between the real world and the Boundary.
- Artificial Human: She is a Manifest Boundary Contact Prime Field Device, in a similar vein as Nu, Lambda and Noel/Mu, although she's not designed to explore the Boundary. Her true purpose is to contain the Embryo.
- Badass Adorable: An agent of the Mitsurugi Agency who regularly fights against the super-powered Unions with a BFS. She is also a short and young-looking Robot Girl who becomes more and more cute as she develops emotions, from her obsession with pudding, to her love of Toku.
- Badass Normal: By the end of Lost: Memories she is a normal human and she used up all of the Phantom Memories that powered her XBlaze. She is still able to effortlessly swing around Murakumo and easily throw a man much larger than her. Mei thinks she somehow has Super Strength while she claims it is just an understanding of leverage.
- Barrier Maiden: After becoming the Embryo, she uses most of its power to create the World of the Tsukuyomi, which would eventually become the Phantom Field, a buffer dimension between the real world and the Boundary that stops the Wadatsumi Gate from flooding the world with seithr. The Embryo is needed to maintain the Tsukuyomi so Es cannot leave the Boundary, even to save Touya from being killed by Freaks. Watashi comes up with a plan to separate her from the Embryo by sending her memories and soul into a newly created human body, allowing the Embryo to maintain the World of the Tsukuyomi while she returns to the XBlaze timeline and saves her friends.
- Become A Real Girl: Watashi is able to use her XBlaze to convert the seithr in the Phantom Field and Nobody’s Phantom Memories into a human body for Es and then send it along with her memories to a few days before Touya and the others get killed by Freaks, returning Es to the timeline as a human while leaving her Prime Field body as an Empty Shell containing the Embryo.
- Beyond the Impossible: In BlazBlue it is impossible to the locate the Master Unit Amaterasu without the Eye of the Azure. After receiving the Embryo, Es is able to reach it at the center of the Boundary by hearing its unique Discover Call. The fact that she just got the power of the Embryo right before might explain it.
- BFS: Of the Masamune style. The Vow Crystal Seal Blade: Murakumo, which is longer than Es is tall.
- Big Damn Heroes: Touya first meets him when she comes out of nowhere to save him from a Union attack. She does this several more times, notably when she defects from the Mitsurugi Agency to protect Touya from some agents after he is labeled a dangerous Union.
- Big Eater: Downplayed. She defeats both Akira and Yuki in the “sukiyaki wars” by claiming and eating most of the meat, but it is unclear how much this is or exactly how large her appetite is.
- Blue Is Heroic: Her signature dress (at least in the first game) is mainly colored blue, and while she starts off as more "neutral" in disposition, she becomes more heroic over time. Her eyes also turns blue after she obtains the power of the Embryo.
- Bodyguard Crush: As Es develops more human emotions, she falls in love with Touya, wanting to be near him for her own sake and not just because she was ordered to. When the Mitsurugi Agency orders him to be captured, she betrays them in order to protect him.
- Boobs of Steel: Quite busty for a small girl and the only one of the heroines who specializes in melee combat (Kuon also does melee but only in occasion; she uses magic more).
- Braids of Action: Of the one long braid in the back variety.
- Bridal Carry: Catches Touya like this in Code: Embryo’s opening animation and carries Hinata like this after saving her when Ripper dropped her off the roof of a building.
- Brought Down to Normal: She is turned into a normal human and even the Phantom Memory: XBlaze power-up is only temporary. This doesn’t slow her down in the slightest.
- Brutal Honesty: Due to her having No Social Skills.
- But Now I Must Go: At the end of Code: Embryo Es must remain in the Boundary to seal the Wadatsumi Gate and prevent the Embryo from causing any more distortions. She is able to return in Lost: Memories.
- The Cameo: [[Spoiler:She gets a surprise cameo in Naoto's ending in Blazblue Central Fiction.]]
- Catch a Falling Star: When Ripper drops Hinata off the roof of a tall building, Es, who was on the ground, jumps up to catch her.
- Caught the Heart on His Sleeve: In the aftermath of the fight with Akira, before Es leaves to report to Unomaru she stops Touya by grabbing his sleeve to apologize for trying to abandon Hinata, after which they finally make up.
- Combination Attack: She and Touya defeat Freaks by charging him from opposite sides and slashing his Crystal at the same time.
- Contralto of Danger: When she activates her XBlaze to fight against Freaks her voice gets noticeably lower to show how serious she is about killing him.
- Cool Sword: The Vow Crystal Seal Blade: Murakumo, a BFS that can easily cut through a Union’s crystal.
- Crush Blush: Towards Touya after she regains her memories.
- Curiosity Causes Conversion: She becomes curious about human emotions and concepts she does not understand. As she learns about these concepts and how to quantify them, she becomes more human and eventually defects from the Mitsurugi Agency, siding with Touya over her creator Unomaru.
- Curtains Match The Windows: She has blonde hair and yellow eyes. Subverted after she inherits the Embryo and her eyes turn blue, then zig-zagged when she becomes human with only her right eye being yellow and finally double-subverted at the end of Lost: Memories when she loses the XBlaze and her left eye also changes back to yellow.
- Declaration of Protection: After rescuing Touya from the Mitsurugi Agency, she declares that she will protect Touya because she wants to, not because she’s ordered to. She also promises that she will Mercy Kill him if he loses control and becomes the Black Beast, so he doesn’t need to fear his power.
- Despair Event Horizon: Touya, Kuon, Mei and Elise getting killed by Freaks, no matter how many times she tried to change the events with Phenomenon Intervention and being unable to directly help, caused her to fall into despair. To deal with the heartbreak, she separates herself from her memories, turning them into Memory Fragments, which she scattered throughout the World of the Tsukuyomi, becoming Nobody and creating the Phantom Field in the process.
- Does Not Like Spam: Dislikes Japanese pears.
- Emotionless Girl: Starts out as this due to being a Robot Girl. She loses this as she gains more human experience while living with Touya, eventually becoming able to feel love.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Has shades of this in her main Code: Embryo outfit.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: She inherits the Embryo from Hinata and, after coming into contact with the Master Unit, gains full control of its power of Phenomenon Intervention. Also, During the final battle with Freaks, her left eye opens, revealing it has the remaining Phantom Memories Watashi used to return her to the XBlaze timeline. This lets Es use the Phantom Memory: XBlaze, negating the Life Drain of Freaks’s XBlaze and giving her the power to team up with Touya to finish him off.
- Expy: Of Lambda-11; similar facial structure, hairstyle and personality. She also wields the Murakumo. Role-wise (and ahoge-wise), she also takes after Saber.
- She also one of Rachel, mainly in design. They are both considered very beautiful and, because they are short, are said to have a doll-like appearance and often wear fancy dresses that make them Elegant Gothic Lolitas. They both serve as the Herald to the protagonist thus beginning his journey and are both in love with him (although it's just very heavily implied in case for Rachel). This becomes more prominent in Lost: Memories since both of them being forced to repeatedly watch the person they love die tragically no matter how many times the events repeated, unable to take action to save them. They also both have a connection to Tsukuyomi.
- Eye Colour Change: Her eyes turn blue when she inherits the completed Embryo. They return to yellow after she returns as a normal human.
- Eyepatch After Time Skip: After she is turned into a normal human and returns to the XBlaze timeline she cannot open her left eye so Hinata gives her a white eyepatch to cover it.
- Faking Amnesia: Even after regaining her memories post-revival, Es keeps up the act. She does this because she also remembers that no one can remember her so they wouldn’t believe her is she told them who she really is. She seems to have told at least Touya and Mei sometime after the battle with Freaks, since Mei told her that Touya was born because of the Wadatsumi Incident.
- First Girl Wins: Not counting Hinata, who is a case of Like Brother and Sister, she is the first of heroines to meet Touya and the one who starts his journey. Her route is the canon ending and her and Touya become Star-Crossed Lovers, at least until she returns to life as a human and reunites with Touya, working together with him in Mei’s new orgination, where it is heavily implied they will get together.
- First Kiss: With Touya while she is speaking to him in the Boundary after becoming the Embryo. It was also supposed to be a Last Kiss, before the returned in Lost: Memories. Remembering this kiss is the key that unlocks the rest of her memories.
- Flawed Prototype: She is the first Manifest Boundary Contact Prime Field Device to actually work, but she did not inherit the Embryo like Unomaru wanted. The Es-N units that come after her are fully robotic, in body and mind, and can manipulate the flow of seithr with their swords. She also needs regular maintenance to keep functioning.
- Fun with Acronyms: "Embryo Storage", as she was initially created to hold the Embryo.
- Grew Beyond Their Programming: Despite being a Prime Field, merely used as Unomaru’s subordinate, her time with Touya and the Himezuru’s helped her develop human emotions and eventually experience love. This reaches its logical conclusion when she fully becomes human.
- Hair Decorations: She has a large blue ribbon tied around the bottom of her braid.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She has blonde hair and amber eyes. While she starts off cold, emotionless and ruthless, she eventually becomes a kind girl who truly loves Touya and considers the Himezuru’s to be her family.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She chooses to remain in the Boundary after becoming the Embryo since, despite her desire to stay with Touya, the Embryo’s existence causes distortions in the world and she is the only one who can stop the opened Wadatsumi Gate from flooding the world with seithr.
- Idiot Hair: Has a large ahoge in the shape of a question mark.
- In a Single Bound: Jumps all the way from the ground to the roof of an abandoned building to rescue Hinata.
- Innocent Cohabitation: At first. She lives at the Himezuru residence with Touya. However this is slowly subverted over time as they start to develop feelings for each other.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Due to being an Emotionless Girl, she is largely unaware of sexuality. During the pool scene she tells Touya she is having fun floating in the water on an inflatable cat toy. She asks Touya to join her on it so he can have fun too, not realizing how small the toy is, meaning he would probably have to sit behind her motorcycle style while she is wearing a skintight swimsuit.
- Invocation: "Phantom Intervention Complex Formation, deploy! PHANTOM MEMORY! XBLAZE!"
- It Only Works Once: She loses her Phantom Memory: XBlaze after using it to defeat Freaks. Justified because the XBlaze was only powered by Nobody’s Phantom Memories, and activating it used them all up.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: After capturing the Union Akio, she physically hits him to force him to tell her about the Original Grimoire and the Ten Sages, much to Touya’s horror.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: Her combat outfit is a blue poofy dress with a huge frilly skirt and a coattail that reaches the floor. It doesn’t slow her down in the slightest.
- Klingons Love Shakespeare: She is a Robot Girl, but quickly becomes a huge fan of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Near the end of Kuon and Mei’s routes, Unomaru removes her memories of her time with Touya and the Himezuru family.
- In Lost: Memories, when she returns to the real world it takes a while for her memories from the Memory Fragments to fully integrate with her human body. This leaves her with no memory until a discussion about love unlocks her memory of her kissing Touya which is such a strong memory it brings them all back. And when she activates her XBlaze, since it is powered by Nobody’s Phantom Memories, she sees them and is able to remember her best friend, Watashi.
- Little Miss Badass: She is short, has a doll-like appearance and in general appears harmless. However, she is a skilled soldier who regularly fights against super-powered Unions. Highlighted when Hinata tells her it is too dangerous for a girl like her to walk around alone at night and Es calmly replies that if she were attacked by any kind of criminal, she would easily defeat them.
- Living Weapon: As a Prime Field Device, her only purpose is to fight against Unions.
- Locked Out of the Loop: After returning without her memory, Touya tries to do this by hiding his work of hunting Unions, saying he and Mei work together at a store and he keeps leaving at night due to sudden emergencies. Even before she regains her memories and Hinata accidentally reveals it Es doesn’t buy his excuses.
- Love Epiphany: After Touya rejects her for attacking Hinata, Es finds that she is in pain because Touya is not with her and won’t talk to her. A discussion with Yuki and Hinata about family leads to her realizing that this is because she wants to be an important person to Touya.
- Love Hurts: The pain from this that she can’t understand leads to her understanding that her feelings for Touya are love. Seeing him die and being unable to stop it causes her to cross the Despair Event Horizon and remove her memories in order to escape from the pain.
- Love You and Everybody: A variation. When she first eats pudding and truly experiences happiness, Yuki explains the feeling as being when you want something to continue happening and asks her if she feels the same about being with Touya. Es responds by with just “I like…” much to Touya’s shock and embarrassment, before asking whether she was talking about him or pudding. She replies that she meant pudding and he somewhat dejectedly says he figured as much.
- Luminescent Blush: A major one when she remembers her First Kiss with Touya. She runs away from the dinner table embarrassed because she just remembered that she loves Touya, as well as regaining all her other memories, and felt awkward being around him when those feelings suddenly emerged.
- Magical Eye: As a human, her sealed left eye contains all of Nobody’s remaining Phantom Memories. Just like Watashi, Es used the seithr contained in the memories to activate the Phantom Memory: XBlaze.
- Mercy Kill: She made a promise with Touya to kill him should he lose control of the Grimoire. She follows through with her promise in Hinata's route, when he completely loses control and becomes the Black Beast.
- Mismatched Eyes: When she becomes human, here right eye returns to being amber while her sealed left eye is still blue, due to it containing her XBlaze. After she uses it both eyes return to being yellow however.
- Ms. Fanservice: Of the heroines. She has the second largest bust (the first goes to Hinata) and is the most frequently seen naked, having multiple Out of Clothes Experiences, especially in Lost: Memories’s opening theme, being naked when Mei tries to heal her, having two bath scenes and being Naked on Revival.
- My God, What Have I Done?: The day after Es tried to kill Acht with Hinata in the way, Hinata tells Es that she thinks of Es as a little sister and considers her part of the family. Es realizes to her horror that she nearly killed someone who considered her family and who she feels the same for.
- Naked on Revival: When Touya finds her now human body in the Restricted Ward, she is completely naked. Justified, since that body was created by Watashi and didn’t exist before Touya found her, so she could not have gotten any clothes.
- Naked First Impression: Although technically it is more of a naked second impression due to Touya not consciously remembering Es.
- New Transfer Student: The day after Touya and her meet, Unomaru has her enroll in Hakuo North Academy and join class 2B so that she can act as his bodyguard. Unomaru even buys the entire school just so he can have her join the class on zero notice without any credentials.
- No Nudity Taboo: Again due to being an Emotionless Girl. She forcibly strips Touya, to see if he has a Crystal on his body, with no reservation.
- No Social Skills: Before meeting Touya she simply acted as a soldier for Unomaru so she has no experience outside of her missions. As such she is very blunt, shows no social inhibitions regarding sexuality and doesn’t understand a lot of colloquial or mundane concepts. She frequently has to ask what things like fun, happiness, making up and love are, frustrating them to no end trying to find a way to explain such simple ideas.
- Occult Blue Eyes: Due to her gaining the Embryo, like with Mu-12 it is a sign of her possessing the power of the Azure.
- Only the Chosen May Wield: According to the Tips, the Murakumo chooses its wielder and if you’re not chosen, no force in the world can make it move. This might explain Es claims that the sword is lighter than Mei thinks when she is questioned about having Super Strength since she is able to easily wield it despite supposedly being a normal human; Mei can’t lift it so she doesn’t know how much it weighs.
- Out-of-Clothes Experience: She is naked along with Hinata during the Embryo transfer for and inside the Boundary after creating the World of the Tsukuyomi. Technically she isn't naked in the first case though, since it happens when she focuses on Hinata's soul in the Boundary and conjures a body for Hinata in her mind while she is still wearing her normal clothes when she searches the Boundary for Amaterasu and meets with Touya for the last time. This might explain why Nobody’s design is so Stripperiffic.
- Panty Shot: Gets an upskirt shot when she and Touya charge at Freaks together. For the record, they’re black.
- Pick Your Human Half: Of the looks human but acts robotic variety. Subverted after Character Development makes her act human as well and then completely averted when she becomes human both in body and personality.
- Piggyback Cute: Gender-inverted example. After Touya is knocked out by Avenge following their first encounter with Ripper, Mei tells Es to bring Touya back to the Himezuru residence so she carries him this way, leading to a cute bonding moment between the two.
- Please Don't Leave Me: She says this when Touya stops talking to her following her attempted abandonment and Shoot the Hostage of Hinata, realizing how much she has come to need Touya to be a part of her life and how much it hurts that he refuses to be around her.
- Power at a Price: A notable subversion. The Legacy Weapons are all supposed to have a cost for using them but the Murakumo doesn’t seem to have any negative side effect.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: In her main outfit.
- Reality Warper: With the complete Embryo she gains the power of Phenomenon Intervention, letting her change the past and undo events.
- Reset Button: She pressed it countless times offscreen to try and prevent Touya from being killed by Freaks, creating another "Groundhog Day" Loop. However, no matter how many times she tried, it always ended in tragedy, causing her to fall into despair.
- Ret Gone: Erases herself from the timeline when she stays in the Boundary as the Embryo, both to stop the Embryo’s existence from causing distortions and to keep her friends from trying to bring her back despite the risk. While her actions remain, no one can remember that she was there, although Touya does experience some Wistful Amnesia. It is unclear whether or not this is still in effect as of the end of Lost: Memories.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: You wouldn't know she's a robot just by looking at her.
- Robot Girl: Chronologically, the first of many in the whole  series. She is a Manifest Boundary Contact Prime Field Device, created to house the Embryo. She was also seemingly made to explore the Boundary once the Wadatsumi Gate was opened since she was able to survive being thrown into the Boundary and even traverse it to find the Master Unit.
- Robo Speak: Speaks like this initially. Even after she develops a more human personality and even becomes human she still has hints of this, rarely raising her voice and still speaking very formally.
- Sailor Fuku: Wears one while attending Hakuo North Academy.
- School Swimsuit: Wears a white one during the pool scene, probably because the school issued swimwear is all she owns since she has no reason to buy one. It still manages plenty of Fanservice however, thanks to how tightly it fits around her breasts.
- Screw Destiny: Watashi convinces her to return to the real world so she can try one more time to save Touya and the others from Freaks. Thanks to her involvement and some help from Watashi she succeeds.
- Secretly Dying: As soon as he completes the Es-N units, Unomaru stops giving her maintenance, calling it an “endurance test.” She realizes as this goes on that her body is starting to fail and she is weakening. Mei uses her healing talismans to try and help but it only helps a little. This ends when Unomaru decides it’s more prudent to give her maintenance after the battle with Akira.
- Sensor Character: Like Touya, she can sense the Discover Call of a Union using their Drive although she has much smaller range (only about 10 meters). With the power of the Embryo this ability increases to the point where she is able to hear the Discover Call of the Master Unit Amaterasu and find it without the Eye of the Azure.
- Shoot the Hostage: After Acht kidnaps Hinata, she tries to convince Touya that they should abandon her and run, since Acht is too dangerous. When Touya refuses to do this and tries to run at Acht to rescue Hinata, Es rationalizes that Touya’s life is more important than Hinata’s, since she is charged with protecting him, and attempts to kill Acht even with Hinata in the way. She would have succeeded if the Drive-Infected Akira didn’t arrive and knock her unconscious. Needless to say, Touya did not take this well.
- Short Hair with Tail: Combined with Braids of Action to give her a feminine, doll-like appearance while still staying somewhat practical for an Action Girl.
- Shower of Awkward: Subverted. Touya accidentally peeks in at her and Hinata in the bath but is able to leave before he is spotted. Not that she would have cared anyway.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She has feelings for Touya and only Touya. This is because her love for her developed alongside her developing emotions so her feelings for him are directly tied into how she categorizes love and happiness.
- The Spock: Starts out as this. She carries out her missions with ruthless efficiency and pragmatic tactics. The mission comes first to her. This leads to a major conflict with Touya when Acht kidnaps Hinata. Es considers Acht too dangerous to fight while protecting Touya, let alone rescuing Hinata. Since, according to her mission, her top priority is to keep Touya safe she tries to convince Touya to abandon Hinata and escape, when that doesn’t work she opts for Shoot the Hostage instead.
- Spock Speak: All of her dialogue is very exacting and proper. At first she combines this with Robo Speak but even after becoming more human-like and even as actual human she still generally speaks like this and doesn’t usually raise her voice.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Touya. Es confesses her feelings for him after inheriting the Embryo and kisses him but she has to stay in the Boundary and erases herself from the timeline. However, this is subverted in Lost: Memories where Es returns as a human and they can be together, working alongside each other in Mei’s new organization.
- Summon to Hand: Apparently an ability of the Vow Crystal Seal Blade: Murakumo. It disappears from her hands when she runs to the injured Kiri after killing Freaks.
- Super Mode: Her Phantom Memory: XBlaze behaves a lot like Touya’s, increasing her speed and strength to superhuman levels and letting fight evenly against Freaks.
- Super Strength: As a result of being a Prime Field, she can easily swing around Murakumo, jump incredible heights, and easily carry around Touya, who is taller and heavier than her. Mei believes she still has this even after becoming a normal human but she denies it, saying the Murakumo is lighter than it looks and she merely used leverage to throw a man larger than her. It is unknown who is correct.
- These Hands Have Killed: As she becomes more human she realizes how many Unions she has cut down without remorse and starts to feel guilty because of it.
- This Is Unforgivable!: She says this to Freaks after picking up Murakumo again and attacking him as her XBlaze activates.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Pudding. She takes this Up to Eleven since eating it is her first time experiencing happiness, and her first emotion overall, so she contextualizes her emotions based on her experience of eating pudding. As such her entire concept of happiness, liking something and even love are tied into her enjoyment of pudding. In fact, eating it again for the first time after reviving is the key to restoring her memories, as it leads to her remembering the feeling of love and in turn the memory of her kissing Touya which brings everything else with it.
- True Blue Femininity: Her main outfit in Code: Embryo is a blue dress and fits with her described image of being doll-like.
- Turned Against Their Masters: After Unomaru labels Touya a dangerous Union and orders her and Mei to capture him; Es turns against the Mitsurugi Agency to protect him. However this is just her acting on her alone against Unomaru’s wishes, not actualy turning against him. She doesn’t truly turns on him after he kidnaps Hinata to temper the Embryo and create the T-System.
- Twice Shy: With Touya. She struggles with understanding her feelings and trying to express them throughout Code: Embryo. By the time she has fully realized that she is in love with Touya she has to stay in the Boundary to seal the Wadatsumi Gate and can only give him what she thinks will be a Last Kiss before erasing herself from reality. After she returns to life and regains her memories, she is too preoccupied trying to prevent his death. She also has to hide her memories, and thus the feelings she built up, since he does not remember her (at least consciously), which prevents her from acting on her feelings.
- Undead Tax Exemption: Despite being a Prime Field Device created just to act as a soldier she is able to transfer into Touya’s class overnight. Justified in that the Mitsurugi Agency simply buys Touya’s school so Unomaru can have Es enroll without any obstructions.
- Waif-Fu: She’s less than 5 feet tall, wears a large frilly dress and is constantly described as looking like a living doll. She can also lift men much larger than her and can cut you down with ruthless efficiency.
- Walking Spoiler: Just look at all the spoiler tags. It’s hard not to mention her becoming the Embryo at the end of Code: Embryo and if you know that it’s even harder to avoid her being in Lost: Memories at all, which spoils that she somehow returns to the real world.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Struggles with this for most of Code: Embryo. She is constantly perplexed when introduced to the concepts of fun, happiness and liking something and will bluntly ask for definitions that the others have trouble providing. Becomes most pronounced with her growing love for Touya. She is able to understand happiness and fun after experiencing them and quick explanations of what she just felt, but struggles a lot with love, since she doesn’t talk to anyone about it and it initially appears in the form of pain due to Touya rejecting her. She eventually comes to understand it on her own based on the emotions she understands and her Character Development to become more human.
- Younger Than They Look: Exactly how old she looks is unclear but it is probably around 12-14 (some people she looks too young to be in her second year of high school and Ringo accuses Touya of being a cradle robber when she sees them together). Just like Noel, Es is a Prime Field Device and is only 5 years old.
- Zettai Ryouki: Grade D in her Sailor Fuku and Grade A in her main Lost: Memories outfit.
Voiced by: Rei Mochizuki
- Height: 155cm
- Weight: 50kg
- Age: 16
- Date of Birth: May 8
- Birthplace: Unknown
- Hobbies: Handcrafts, cooking
- Likes: Sweets (Especially cream puffs)
- Dislikes: Violence, ghosts, thunder
Touya’s Childhood Friend who lived in the same orphanage as him. She’s Yuki’s adopted sister and lives with her and Touya, who she considers family despite not being related to him. She too has no memories from before the Wadatsumi Incident. Despite this, she is full of endless optimism and shows kindness to everyone she meets as if they were her own family. Since Yuki works so much, she takes care of all the chores, which she enjoys, making her something of a caretaker to the rest of the cast. She attends Hakuo North Academy where she is in the same class as Touya and Akira.
She was kidnapped at a young age by Takamagahara group and forced to become the Embryo, which gives her the power of Phenomenon Intervention. Since she was not fully tempered because of the Original Grimoire going out of control she does not have control of her powers and unconsciously uses them to reset time, creating a "Groundhog Day" Loop throughout Code: Embryo. At the end of Es’s route, the true ending, Unomaru successfully completes the Embryo, but Sechs attacks her and drops her into the Boundary. However, Hinata is able to transfer the Embryo to Es, who inherits its true power and saves Hinata by returning her to the Himezuru residence and erasing her memories of being the Embryo.
In Lost: Memories, she begins studying medicine alongside Akira so that she can become a nurse.
- All-Loving Heroine: She is kind to absolutely everyone she meets and treats them like her best friend even if they are total strangers. This girl could seriously give Celica a run for her money.
- Amnesiac God: She is a half-complete Embryo meaning she can use Phenomenon Intervention and is the cause of the "Groundhog Day" Loop. However she doesn’t know this and resets the world unconsciously when she doesn’t like what happens, mainly Touya dying, or even when she dies. In her route she awakens to the Embryo consciously but resets herself along with the world. When she is tempered she learns the truth but after receiving the Embryo Es teleports her back home and erases her memories of being the Embryo.
- Artificial Human: Subverted. It appeared that her status as the Embryo meant she was created by Takamagahara group, similar to Es. In truth, she was kidnapped at a young age by the scientists and was experimented on to become the Embryo.
- Big Sister Worship: Really looks up to her adoptive sister Yuki and wants to be like her. This is one of the reasons she decides to study to become a nurse.
- Brought Down to Normal: After giving the Embryo to her, Es returns Hinata to the Himezuru residence without any memories of being the Embryo and none of the powers she previously had.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: She doesn’t even remember she’s supposed to keep secrets. She nearly reveals Touya’s Union fighting to the amnesiac Es several times before catching herself and telling her to ignore what she just said.
- Childhood Friends: With Touya and Akira. She and Touya grew up together in the same orphanage and after Touya and became his best friend she also became very close with Akira.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: She is a bit ditzy some of the time. She is way too accepting of strange things around her and lets a lot of strangers into her house since she so easily views people as her friends and sees every action in a positive interpretation, which is sometimes very far from the truth.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Brown hair and eyes Subverted when she awakens as the Embryo and gains Occult Blue Eyes.
- Cuteness Proximity: When she first meets Es there is a dramatic pause with the colors inverting while Hinata stares in shock before she starts screaming about how adorable Es is and even afterwards continues to bring up her cuteness.
- Damsel in Distress: Several times. First Acht knocks her out and holds her hostage to try and coax Touya into unleashing the Original Grimoire, then Ripper kidnaps her to do the same and finally Unomaru kidnaps her to complete her tempering as the Embryo and use her to activate the T-System.
- Dissonant Serenity: After Unomaru forced her to go through Mei’s haunted house exhibit she suggests he should go in as well. When he objects she throws all of the reasons he made them do it back at him, eventually forcing him to go in and get scared just as bad as she was. And she does all of this with her usual innocent smile.
- Dreaming the Truth: In her Memory Fragments she tells Yuki about a strange, fairytale-like dream she had. It is about her past that she cannot remember, where she was kidnapped by scientists and experimented on to become the Embryo and the suffering she went through. She also mentions the one kind scientist and his son who became her Only Friend but died.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness/Empty Eyes: After Unomaru beats her and forces her to remember being the Embryo, her eyes become dull before turning into Azure Eyes. They continue to be this as she is plugged into the T-System.
- Escaped from the Lab: The original Touya tries to help her do this but right before they get out he collapses due to the strain of the escape attempt. Rather then leave on her own, she gives up on escape by alerting the scientists so they can help Touya. He dies anyway. She eventually does escape... after causing the Wadatsumi Incident and killing all the scientists who were keeping her trapped.
- Expy: She's Manami Tamura in everything but name, except that she lives with the protagonist and she's not the Big Bad. Also one for Noel since her real nature and her backstory makes them really alike.
- Eye Colour Change: From brown to Azure then back to brown.
- Fear of Thunder: her profile says she is, though but it never comes up in the games.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: She is the most feminine, cutesy member of the cast. She is also a Supreme Chef.
- For Happiness: She is kind to everyone and always willing to help because she wishes for everyone in the world to be happy. This is also another motivator for her wanting to be a nurse; she wants to take care of people who are suffering.
- Friend to All Children: Children are included in her ability to get along with everyone. While out shopping she sees a child alone crying in the street. She goes over to help him, and is the only one who can get him to talk, and rather than leave him alone with police, she spends the rest of the day searching for his mother.
- Girls Are Really Scared of Horror Movies: When Akira describes a bad zombie B-Movie he saw the night before, she sincerely says that she was scared, to Akira’s disbelief. She seems absolutely traumatized by Unomaru forcing her to go through Mei’s haunted house exhibit.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a hairpin in the shape of a cherry blossom on the left side of her head.
- Harmful to Minors: When she was very young (6 years old at the latest) she was suddenly kidnapped by Takamagahara group creating the Embryo. Whenever she failed to open the Gate note the scientists would beat her.
- Horrible Judge of Character: A down side of being an All-Loving Heroine is that she tries to see the best in everyone, sometimes even twisting people’s words and actions into a positive meaning despite said person’s actual intentions. This is most noticeable with her seeing Unomaru as a good person and letting him in despite him acting very suspicious and Touya explicitly telling her not to open the door for anyone. She gets herself kidnapped, beaten and nearly killed for this.
- Human Resources: The Embryo was created to be the core of the T-system. Hinata’s role is to be plugged into the machine and act as a power source for it by continuously drawing seithr from the Gate, possibly while she’s still conscious.
- Identity Amnesia: Like Touya, she doesn’t remember anything before the Wadatsumi Incident, specifically being the Embryo. Her case is worse however since she doesn’t even remember her name, she was given the name Hinata by Yuki.
- The Ingenue: She is impossibly kind and very innocent. She has no idea why Touya is blushing and claiming he didn’t see anything when he remembers seeing Es naked when she revives in the restricted district, despite her clearly knowing that Touya carried Es all the way to the house with only his jacket covering her.
- Innocent Cohabitation: With Touya. After they both left the orphanage they began living together in Yuki’s house but they see each other Like Brother and Sister.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: After inheriting the Embryo, Es reconstructs Hinata’s physical body that she lost in the Boundary and transported her back to the Himezuru residence with her memories of being the Embryo erased.
- Living MacGuffin: Being the eponymous Code: Embryo and the source of the time loop, she is central to all the villains’ plans. Unomaru wants her to complete the T-system while Sechs wants to kill her after she opens the Gate so he can end the time loop and flood the world with seithr. The only reason Touya is also a Living MacGuffin is because his Original Grimoire is needed to complete their true goal of tempering the Embryo.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Touya tries to keep her in the dark about his Union hunting and the Mitsurugi Agency. This is averted in Lost: Memories since he apparently told her everything in between the two games.
- Meganekko: Wears a large pair of round circle glasses to fit with her more homely look. She loses them when she awakens as the Embryo, although not by choice. Also because glasses are probably unnecessary when you have the Azure Eyes that give you the Power of God to see all.
- Megaton Punch: Seems to do this instinctively whenever she is scared. In the haunted house exhibit she does this to the two slime-covered zombies (actually Touya and Akira who got covered in slime due to one of Mei’s traps) and then trashes the room.
- Morality Pet: To the Drive-Infected Akira. Despite his deteriorating mental state he still cares for her and threatens to turn on Acht is she doesn’t release Hinata.
- Nice Girl: One of the biggest in the franchise. She’s so unflappably nice that no one feels like they can argue against her and even Mei, who instinctively shouts at everyone even when she doesn’t mean to, is able to rein herself in when talking to Hinata.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: After Ryouko Kagari shuts down the T-system, Hinata, in an attempt to revive the original Touya, uses the power of the Embryo to control the Original Grimoire to have it grant this wish. This sort of works, but only by sending the Original Grimoire out of control, causing it to absorb the souls of everyone in the lab and the surrounding area as a power source so it can turn itself into a clone of Touya. The result of this is the tragic Wadatsumi Incident and the increased Union epidemic that would continue for ten years.
- Not Blood Siblings: Zig-zagged. She and Touya live together and Yuki is their legal guardian but it only seems like Hinata was properly adopted into the Himezuru family, since Touya keeps his last name and feels he has to pay rent. Hinata often says that that they are family despite not being related by blood but neither of them refer to each other as brother or sister.
- Oblivious to Love: She seems completely unaware of Akira’s noticeable crush on her. She has to have it pointed out that he has been staring at her and when told she has no idea why.
- Occult Blue Eyes: The Azure Eyes she has as the awakened Embryo.
- Only Friend: The original Touya during her time in the Wadatsumi Laboratory. Ryouko Kagari, who was entirely against the creation of the T-system, and her son, who was in the lab so she could try to find a cure dying because of his Drive, were the only people who treated her kindly or even as a human being and playing with him was the only happiness she had. She sacrificed her chance at freedom to try and save him and when that fails, well... see Nice Job Breaking It, Hero.
- Out-of-Clothes Experience: When Sechs drops her into the Boundary she loses her physical body but her spirit is able to reach out to Es. She tells Es to close her eyes and focus on Hinata so she can appear in her mind and transfer the Embryo. For some reason she is completely naked during this.
- Reality Warper: The Embryo gives her the power of Phenomenon Intervention, letting her change past events to change the present or just undo them to reset the world to a previous time. She isn’t aware of this power and can’t control it so all she can do is reset time to the beginning of the game after tragedy occurs in the hope of getting a happy ending, which results in a "Groundhog Day" Loop until she gives the Embryo to Es.
- Reset Button: She’s the one who keeps pressing it.
- Sailor Fuku: Wears one while attending Hakuo North Academy.
- Shower of Awkward: Subverted. Touya accidentally peeks in at her and Es in the bath but is able to leave before he is spotted.
- Stripperific: When she is plugged into the T-system after awakening as the Embryo, although almost certainly not by her own choice. Her “outfit” is just metal sheets that wrap around her legs and arms but cover none of her torso aside from her nipples. She also loses her glasses.
- Supreme Chef: Possibly due to her being the one in charge of all the cooking, she has gotten very good at it. Every one who eats it comments on how amazing it is. She is so amazing that she brings Mei from being a Lethal Chef to almost as good as herself in a few hours and defeats Ringo in a Curry duelnote .
- Team Mom: She is the only one who can end any and all conflict within the main cast. She is able to instantly end an argument between Kuon and Mei and force them to make up.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Unomaru beats her and tells her more about the Wadatsumi Incident to trigger her memories, causing her to remember being the Embryo and awaken to its power.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Likes sweet things, but especially cream puffs.
- Unstoppable Rage: Well more like Unstoppable Fear. She goes absolutely berserk and wrecks everything around her when she gets frightened by something like zombies or ghosts, but the entire time she is screaming in absolute terror, not anger, while achieving the same result.
- Walking Spoiler: Her being the host of the Embryo is one of the biggest spoilers in Code: Embryo, making it all but impossible to talk about any role she has in the plot.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Is really scared of ghosts and zombies, or really anything related to horror or monsters. Unfortunately this sends her on a rampage as she screams in fear, destroying everything in her path. She punches Touya and Akira into the roof in the haunted house and when Akira tells her he sees a ghostly hand on her shoulder (as an excuse to cover up his Longing Look) her ensuing warpath is so devastating it leads to a Bad Ending!
Kuon Glamred Stroheim
Voiced by: Yui Kondo
- Height: 161cm
- Weight: 49kg
- Age: 17
- Date of Birth: September 21
- Birthplace: Ishana
- Hobbies: Research, reading, internet, etc.
- Likes: Libraries, curry
- Dislikes: Shiitake mushrooms
A student at the Magic Guild in the Magister’s City: Ishana. She comes from the distinguished Stroheim family. She has a strong sense of justice and sometimes jumps to conclusions, which has earned her the fearful appellation of “Fire Empress Stroheim.” She has talent rarely seen in the modern Magic Guild and is expected to join the Ten Sages. She is Sechs’s sister.
In Code: Embryo the Magic Guild task her with hunting down Sechs, Acht and Drei of the Ten Sages and either capturing or killing them and is given the Legacy Weapon, Sealed Spear: Izayoi so she can accomplish this. After learning that the Ten Sages were after Touya, she transfers to his class and moves into the Himezuru residence so she can act as a bodyguard. Throughout the game she continues trying to persuade Sechs to return to Ishana, but is unsuccessful and eventually realizes that she has to give up on her brother. After helping defeat the Ten Sages, Kuon returns to Ishana where she begins training under Zwei.
She comes back to Shin Yokozaki in Lost: Memories, charged with the task of hunting down a mysterious “vampire.” At the end of the game it’s revealed that she been chosen to be a member of the Ten Sages and will be officially sworn-in soon.
- Abel: to Sechs' Kain
- Anti-Magic: The Sealed Spear: Izayoi negates and seals the magic of anyone it hits and seals them in a barrier.
- Area of Effect: During her duel with Mei since she cannot hit Mei’s homing Shikigami, Kuon just creates an explosion that covers the entire battlefield to destroy it, despite being in the blast radius.
- Badass: She is an incredibly powerful Mage and despite her age is expected to join the Ten Sages due to her skill. She is officially chosen to be a member at the end of Lost: Memories.
- Badass Bookworm: Her hobbies include reading and research and she likes library. In fact, she probably is so badass because she is a bookworm, since she studies magic so intensely.
- Bash Brothers: With Mei, eventually. After they become Vitriolic Best Buds they become a powerful team who can even defeat Acht of the Ten Sages.
- Big Damn Heroes: She shows up to save Touya and Es when a Union throws a large tower at them and in Lost: Memories she saves Mei’s live by blasting away Freaks.
- Black Magician Girl: A powerful Mage who specializes in offensive fire magic.
- Blade on a Stick: Sealed Treasure Spear: Izayoi.
- Closet Geek: Downplayed. She doesn’t mind talking about anime with Touya but she claims she only watches it because Elise shows it to her. When Mei questions her about her shopping in Akihabara, she tries to deny it and come up with various excuses for herself.
- Combination Attack: She and Mei fire their magic together to create a Kamehame Hadoken that kills Acht. She also has one with Elise called Soul Direction where Elise uses her barriers to focus Kuon’s fire magic into a powerful Death from Above laser, she uses in Lost: Memories against Freaks.
- Commonality Connection: She and Mei become a lot closer when they realize that both of them have lost their father and are able to discuss this with someone else.
- Covert Pervert: Is implied to be a fan of Shotacon. Additionally, Mei accuses her of reading a “questionable fan book” in Akihabara.
- Cultured Badass: An undeniably badass Mage. Her hobbies include reading and research and she quotes both Shakespeare and Aristotle.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The Sealed Spear: Izayoi is incredibly powerful, but even using it once is enough for her to start going blind, which will only continue to deteriorate until she eventually dies.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Her miniskirt is almost as short as Makoto’s.
- Disabled Love Interest: For Touya in her route At the end of the route she and Touya return to Ishana together. However, because she used the Izayoi against Sechs, she is going blind and is going to die soon.
- Does Not Like Spam: She hates shiitake mushrooms. Interestingly, Nine also hates them.
- Girlish Pigtails: In Code: Embryo they go all the way down to her feet (and they curl up all the way to her knees at the end meaning they’re even longer than that. By the time of Lost: Memories she’s cut her hair so they only go down to her back.
- Genre Blind: To romance tropes. While she is aware of Elise’s blatant flirting with her, she is easily swayed by Elise’s attempts to setup romantic situations. During their attempt to track down Zwei, Elise convinces Kuon to try on a bunch of swimsuits for her, go on a date Undercover as Lovers and would have allowed Elise to do Romantic Spoonfeeding with her (if not for Elise becoming to excited by how she looked and trying to take a picture first).
- Gratuitous German: All of her spells have German names, one example being “Flamme lichtstrahl.”
- Hair Decorations: She ties her pigtails with large ribbons. She changes to much smaller ribbons in Lost: Memories.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Healing Hands: Knows some healing magic.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Elise. She considers Elise her best friend and deeply trusts and cares for her. Elise would rather their relationship be romantic however.
- Innocent Cohabitation: She stays at the Himezuru residence in Code: Embryo. She also has this with Elise, although only Kuon considers it innocent.
- In-Series Nickname: Mei calls her “Witch” since she is from the Magic Guild. This eventually becomes an Insult of Endearment.
- Just Friends: With Elise, much to Elise’s irritation.
- Last-Second Chance: Every encounter she has with Sechs, she would give him one last chance to go back to Ishana and face his crimes, otherwise she will use Izayoi to seal him away. She eventually stops trying near the end of every route and makes the decision to seal him away. In her own route, she prioritizes Touya's safety and goes off on her own to defeat her brother to prevent him from following Touya to Ishana.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Her Combination Attack with Mei is this, with both of them firing magic from their hands which combine into a massive blast.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: While she is primarily a magic user, she has some skill in close combat and is able to throw a man much larger than her. She uses this to her advantage in her duel against Mei, tanking her own Area Of Effect Attack so she can close in and try to defeat Mei with close quarters kicks.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Tends to jump into situations to help others without thinking (such as appearing and saving Akira from some thugs) but doesn’t think of the consequences of doing this.
- Multiethnic Name: Kuon is a Japanese name while Glamred Stroheim is German. Her mom is Japanese while her dad is a Ishana native.
- New Transfer Student: Played with. She transfers to Touya's school, but as he noted, had never actually attends a single class. It's fine with her, since she "transferred" in order to protect him in the first place.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Her response to a Homing Projectile that is too fast for her to shoot down? Just explode the entire battlefield to destroy it, even if it means being caught in it. Mei calls her insane for doing this.
- Playing with Fire: She specializes in fire magic.
- Power at a Price: The price that one pays to use the Izayoi is the same as in BlazBlue, it causes the one to use it to go blind.
- Power Nullifier: The Sealed Spear Izayoi can seal its target’s magic.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner: Right before she unleashes Soul Direction on Freaks."Oh... How sad. It’ll be such a shame that I won’t be able to see your face as you die."
- Red Baron: Fire Empress Stroheim.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Played with between her and Mei. Design wise Kuon is the red while Mei is the blue, but they sometimes switch roles and generally exhibit the traits of the one opposite their color. Kuon is a calm and rational person but becomes incredibly fierce when she is angry while Mei tries to present herself as controlling and mature but is easily prone to childish outbursts.
- The Rival: Mei starts to see her as this. Notable at the end of Lost: Memories where Mei says she has to create her new organization to destroy the other Gates so she won’t fall behind Kuon who has been selected to join the Ten Sages.
- Sailor Fuku: Wears one while attending Hakuo North Academy.
- Shipper on Deck: For Akira and Hinata. When she runs into the two of them shopping together, she drags Touya away so they can be alone.
- Shower of Awkward: Touya ends up walking in on her in the shower (in his defense Hinata said he could use it because she didn’t know Kuon decided to take a shower and Touya didn’t even know she was staying with them). She’s more understanding about it than the usual for this situation.
- Spotting the Thread: While she is initially flustered trying to come up with an excuse when Mei accuses her for buying fan magazines in Akihabara, she realizes that the only way Mei could have known this is if she was also in Akihabara and turns the accusation back at her.
- Sweater Girl: Wears a form-fitting sweater in her main outfit.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: At first with Mei. While she was willing to work with Mei, Mei’s refusal and bitterness caused her to also not want to work together. This evolves into Vitriolic Best Buds by the end of Code: Embryo.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Curry.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Eventually ends up as this with Mei. They still get into arguments and are the only members of the main cast to show open hostility to one another, but it is clear there is no actual animosity between the two and they trust each other implicitly as Bash Brothers.
- Workaholic: She is very dedicated to studying magic especially after Zwei takes her as a student and she is selected to join the Ten Sages. This gets so bad that Elise has to ask Ringo to leave Ishana so she can fake an order from the Magic Guild to retrieve her just to get her to take two days off.
- Zettai Ryouki: Grade A (would be Grade S if she were a tad more Tsundere).
Voiced by: Inori Minase
- Height: 159cm
- Weight: 51kg
- Age: 15
- Date of Birth: February 18
- Birthplace: Shin Yokozaki City
- Hobbies: Bass, paranormal research
- Likes: Music (all genres), curios
- Dislikes: Magic Guild, anything mainstream
The current heir to the Amanohokosaka Clan. Mei inherited the role of Amanohokosaka Shrine Maiden and is in charge of guarding the Wadatsumi Gate. As a member of the Amanohokosaka Clan she is an Exorcist, capable of using manipulating seithr to use magic in the form of talismans. After losing both of her parents during the Wadatsumi Incident Mei began working under Unomaru to contain the Union threat in exchange for the Mitsurugi Agency paying for her father’s hospitalization. Because of this she grew up bitter and abrasive to everyone around her. She has a strong hatred for the Magic Guild and everyone connected to it because of its role in the Amanohokosaka Clan’s downfall.
In Code: Embryo , she becomes one of Touya’s bodyguards in an attempt to spite Kuon and helps in the fight against the Unions and the Ten Sages. After the Mitsurugi Agency orders Touya’s capture she quits and helps to protect him. Throughout this time she is able to open up to others and let go of her grudge against Kuon and the Magic Guild.
In her route she lets Sechs turn her into a Union in order to save Touya from going berserk. This gives her the Drive Blood Cain, which can seal the power of the Original Grimoire.
In Lost: Memories, Mei has taken control of the Mitsurugi Agency’s Union containment in Shin Yokozaki with Touya and the one surviving Es-N working under her. In the end of the game she lets Touya destroy the Wadatsumi Gate and begins her plan to build a new organization to find and destroy all the Gates to prevent them from causing any more tragedy.
A much older Mei appears in Bloodedge Experience as the leader of the Amanohokosaka Clan. After Saya Terumi slaughtered her clan, Mei imprisoned her for five years, but was unable to keep her sealed and Saya eventually breaks free to target Naoto so Mei sends him a letter telling him he has to kill her.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: The skull on her hat constantly switches sides.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Is very confident in her abilities and talks down to Kuon because of this, claiming that Kuon can’t beat her and is just a pampered princess who has no actual skill. Kuon proving her wrong by fighting her to a draw is what causes Mei to actually start respecting and befriending her.
- Bad Bad Acting: When she helps Touya and Es escape from the Mitsurugi Agency while she pretends to be helping catch them. It is entirely unconvincing."Oh no! A smoke bomb...!"
- Bash Brothers: With Kuon, eventually. After they become Vitriolic Best Buds they become a powerful team who can even defeat Acht of the Ten Sages.
- Beneath the Mask: Underneath all her abrasiveness, she is actually just a kind and lonely girl who wants friends. She just is terrible at expressing her emotions. She also really loves her family. She visits her father every day, despite him being an Empty Shell without a soul, and only works under Unomaru so the Mitsurugi Agency will pay for her father’s hospitalization. In fact it is probably because of this that she’s buried her emotions so deep, she was forced to be mature at a young age and has to keep herself in control while constantly dealing with Unomaru.
- Berserk Button: The Magic Guild. Due to it driving the Amanohokosaka Clan to ruin she hates it and everyone connected to it. This is why she is initially so hostile to Kuon.
- Broken Bird: Her Dark and Troubled Past shapes her into a young girl who's forced to be mature and is highly cynical and abrasive to people. Over the course of the game, Character Development kicks in and she becomes more open to others.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Non-romantic example. She wants to be kind to others and honestly tell her feelings but whenever she tries she defaults to shouting insults and running out of the room. She is entirely aware of this and hates it, often berating herself for having just said pretty much the opposite of what she truly felt as soon as she has left the room.
- Casting a Shadow: Her Drive, Blood Cain.
- Character Development: Over time she allows herself to become friends with the rest of the cast. While she still has trouble with expressing her feelings, she becomes much less abrasive. When Mei warns everyone to be careful because of the "vampire," Kuon says how much she’s changed for her be able to openly express her concern for others.
- Closet Geek: She is a huge fan of anime and Toku but she hides it because it contrasts with the image of maturity she tries to project.
- Combination Attack: She and Kuon fire their magic together to create a Kamehame Hadoken that kills Acht.
- Commonality Connection: She and Kuon become a lot closer when they realize that both of them have lost their father and are able to discuss this with someone else.
- Cool Hat: A black cap with a skull pin on the right side.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Purple hair and purple eyes.
- Daddy's Girl: She really loves her dad, visits him in the hospital everyday and self-derogatorily even calls herself this. She knows that he is an Empty Shell, just a barely living body without a soul, and keeping him alive is pointless since he will never wake up but she still submits to the Mitsurugi Agency to pay for his hospitalization because she can’t let go.
- Deal with the Devil: In her route she allows Sechs to turn her into a Union so she can save Touya from becoming the Black Beast.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father was present during the Wadatsumi incident and had his soul taken by the Original Grimoire’s Soul Eater. His body is still alive, although barely, but without a soul he may as well be dead.
- Doesn't Trust Those Guys: She hates everyone connected to the Magic Guild because of how they shamed the Amanohokosaka Clan. This mostly manifests as her being a jerk to Kuon, despite her attempts at friendship and them being on the same side.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Her verbal (and in a few cases physical) abuse of Touya. While it is only sometimes Played for Laughs and in general is meant to show that she is not nice, she receives no punishment for something that would be inexcusable if the roles were reversed.
- Draw Means Friendship: At the height of their animosity Mei challenges Kuon to a duel. If Mei won Kuon would leave Shin Yokozaki City and if she lost she would take back all of her insults and treat Kuon with respect. After Kuon manages to destroy Mei’s homing Shikigami Raven and she manages to block Kuon’s kick, Mei accepts a draw since Kuon has proved that she has earned her strength through hard work and not just her family name. They then go out to Maha☆Raja~ together.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: In a variant, her design is of the Wa-lolita (stylized traditional Japanese attire).
- Famous Ancestor: The Azure Shrine Maiden who sacrificed herself to lure the Black Beast back into the Boundary thousands of years ago. Mei is the current Amanohokosaka Shrine Maiden, who inherited the role of guarding the Wadatsumi Gate so the Black Beast can never again be released. She's also one to Naoto in his novel, and to Tenjo and Homura in BlazBlue.
- Friendless Background: She lost both her parents when she was 5 years old and spent the next 10 years working under Unomaru so she had no time to connect with people her age.
- Fun with Acronyms: Her Goofball Proximity Surveyor (G.P.S.) charm which, appropriately, allows Mei to track whoever the charm is attached to.
- Good Is Not Nice: Devotes herself entirely to protecting innocent people and containing the dangerous Union threat. Doesn’t mean she won’t bitch at everyone around her.
- Gushing About Shows You Like: When she learns Es is a fan of Toku, Mei approaches her and starts excitedly ranting about how awesome Super Sentai and Kamen Rider are. Es just calmly listens and agrees.
- Hair Decorations: Uses a black bow to tie her hair into a ponytail when wearing her swimsuit. In Lost: Memories she starts wearing white ribbons in her hair.
- Healing Hands: She has talismans that allow her to use healing magic.
- Heroic Lineage: Lord Tenjo’s ancestor.
- Hidden Depths: The incredibly bitter and angry Exorcist who tries to act more mature then everyone else is actually a huge anime and toku otaku.
- Hime Cut: Fitting for the head of an ancient clan of shrine maidens.
- Hipster: One of her dislikes is “anything mainstream” and is incredibly judgmental of Kuon’s anime choices since she apparently likes “B-tier slice-of-life crap.”
- Homing Projectile: During her duel with Kuon she summons a Shikigami Raven that can manipulate to chase Kuon and even maneuver it to dodge incoming attacks, but she has to stay in place to focus on controlling it.
- Hypocritical Humor: She tries to out Kuon as a Fangirl because she was in Akihabara and treats this as being a bad thing.... despite being a much bigger Fangirl than Kuon is.
- Implausible Deniability: During the Pool Episode she only goes into the kiddie pool. When asked if she can’t swim she asserts that she totally can and is super amazing at it, she just doesn’t feel like swimming. Happens again when Kuon questions how she could know Kuon was in Akihabara unless she was there herself and she can only awkwardly try to claim that isn’t important and Kuon being there is all that matters at the moment.
- In a Single Bound: Is able to jump incredibly long distances even while carrying Touya.
- In the Blood: Her abilities as the Amanohokosaka, most notably her ability to sense the Azure, come from being a descendant of the Azure Shrine Maiden. This actually is literally in her blood, since the Es-N’s ability to manipulate the flow of seithr comes from their swords being made using Mei’s blood.
- Insistent Terminology: In Lost: Memories she angrily reminds everyone that she is Touya’s boss, not his senior.
- Insult of Endearment: While she initially calls Kuon “Witch” because of her hatred for the Magic Guild, Mei continues to call her this even after they become friends and it morphs from a spiteful name to a more affectionate jab.
- Irony: She claims that Kuon is nothing more than a spoiled princess when she herself acts far more like one than Kuon.
- Jerkass: Let's face it, she's not exactly the most polite person.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite her general rudeness, she's actually a kind person but is so frustrated with her family's situation that she lashes out on others. She even admits to herself that she's too harsh on Touya since pretty much anyone would be freaked out in the situation that he's in.
- Lady of Black Magic: In contrast to Kuon’s Black Magician Girl. She has a more elegant design and (tries) to have a more mature air to her.
- Last Name Basis: Perhaps as a result of her standoffish nature, she addresses everyone else by their last names without any honorifics. In her Additional Scenario she starts using Hinata’s first name at the latter’s request.
- Lethal Chef: She never learned how to cook since she’s always had maids do it for her. Her attempt to bake cookies nearly makes Hinata collapse. Unlike most examples this is explained in that she skipped steps due to laziness (not accurately measuring out ingredients and putting all the ingredients in at once). When Hinata gives her lessons and corrects her about this she does a lot better.
- Loner-Turned-Friend: Starts off as cold and distance from everyone but eventually comes to accept the others as her friends.
- Lonely Rich Kid: She grew up alone in the large Amonohokosaka house.
- Luminescent Blush: When Kuon points out her Character Development and when she first calls Hinata by her first name.
- Miko: She's the chosen Amanohokosaka Shrine Maiden whose duty is to guard the Wadatsumi Gate to prevent the return of the Black Beast. She seems to be wearing a traditional shrine maiden outfit underneath her black coat.
- Misplaced Retribution: The brunt of her hatred for the Magic Guild is directed towards Kuon who has no connection what happened to the Amanohokosaka Clan.
- Missing Mom: Her mother Sui Amanohokosaka died during the Wadatsumi Incident sacrificing herself to save Avenge.
- Nice Hat: Wears a black cap with a skull pin on it.
- Odd Friendship: With Elise. Even before Mei got over her blind hate of the Magic Guild, she got along well with Elise since she was just so polite to her.
- The Ojou: Head of the Amanohokosaka Clan and is very haughty, wanting everyone to respect her.
- Onmyodo: As expected of a Miko, she's good at using traditional Japanese charms, aided with seithr.
- Otaku Surrogate: Is a big fan of anime and Toku. She regularly visits the local manga shop, goes to Akihabara and even has what appear to be Gundam models in her room.
- Parental Abandonment: Lost both of her parents during the Wadatsumi Incident.
- Perpetual Frowner: Almost always seem frowning or at least gives a flat look.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Wears black and purple Japanese-styled dress with a big skirt.
- Power at a Price: As a Union, using her Drive pollutes her Crystal. Even after only using it once it will eventually drive her insane and kill her.
- Power Nullifier: Her Drive, Blood Cain, can seal the power of the Original Grimoire. Also, the G.P.S can disable the Drive of anyone it is placed on. Mei uses this to make Acht vulnerable to magic.
- Purple Is Powerful/Supernatural Is Purple: Has purple hair and wears a lot of purple underneath her black coat and is an incredibly powerful Exorcist. Her magic, especially her Shikigami Raven, also has a purple glow.
- Pride: Is incredibly proud of the Amanohokosaka Clan and its mission and works very hard to follow through on it.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: In her school uniform.
- Rapunzel Hair: Seems to be a requirement for having purple hair in this series. It goes down below her knees.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Played with between her and Kuon. Design wise Kuon is the red while Mei is the blue, but they sometimes switch roles and generally exhibit the traits of the one opposite their color. Kuon is a calm and rational person but becomes incredibly fierce when she is angry while Mei tries to present herself as controlling and mature but is easily prone to childish outbursts.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: She arrives to capture Touya after he has been labeled a dangerous Union (really it's Unomaru who wants to capture him since the Grimoire has awoken). Touya says he needs to find Kuon first and that she doesn't need to worry about the Grimoire going berserk because Es will kill him before he becomes the Black Beast. Es says that she is prepared to die for betraying the Agency in order to protect Touya. In response Mei says "You're all idiots. You know what? I quit!" However after that she says that they need to be more concerned about their lives because they aren't thinking about how others would feel if they died. Basically she decided to side with them because she cares and wants to protect them but puts on an act of just quitting because the entire situation is too stupid.
- Sailor Fuku: Wears one while attending Hakuo North Academy.
- Sensor Character: As a descendant of the Azure Shrine Maiden she has the power to sense the Azure. However her ability is much weaker than her ancestor’s.
- Servile Snarker: She will make a snide remark about Unomaru every chance she gets. If asked she’ll deny ever saying anything but Unomaru clearly heard her anyway.
- Shana Clone: Let’s see, flat-chested? Check. Rapunzel Hair? Check. Elegant Gothic Lolita? Check. Type A Tsundere? Check.
- Shock and Awe: One of her spells, Raijyu Shourai.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: She can get pretty vulgar when she’s angry.
- Squishy Wizard: Downplayed. While she finds difficulty at close range and is not a Kung-Fu Wizard like Kuon, she is capable of taking quite a few hits and still fighting. She is also able to block Kuon’s kick with her arm, saying she is aware of this weakness and wouldn’t have been able to survive so many fights with Unions if she couldn’t defend herself physically to a certain degree.
- Surrounded by Idiots: How she always feels, especially when around Touya and Akira.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: At first with Kuon. She did not want Kuon’s help at all (and even approached Touya to take an active role as his bodyguard just so Kuon wouldn’t be needed) and only begrudgingly starts working with her at all because Unomaru orders her to. This evolves into Vitriolic Best Buds by the end of Code: Embryo.
- Too Many Belts: When at the pool her bikini has a belt on it and she wears spiked belts around her wrist for some reason.
- Tracking Device: The G.P.S. talisman allows Mei to always know the location of whoever it is attached to and even lets her know what they are doing. It can also disable their Drive.
- Tsundere: Non-romantic (outside of her route) Type A. She defaults to harsh insults and rejections but she becomes a lot friendlier, and occasionally incredibly sweet, around the others once she accepts them as her friends.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Eventually ends up as this with Kuon. They still get into arguments and are the only members of the main cast to show open hostility to one another, but it is clear there is no actual animosity between the two and they trust each other implicitly as Bash Brothers.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Between her, the Azure Shrine Maiden and Saya Terumi it’s starting to look like this is a genetic trait of the Amanohokosaka females.
- You Fool!: In her letter to Naoto in Bloodedge Experience because some things never change."We can no longer bind Saya down here. You must kill her on your own. P.S. you went and died on your own, didn’t you. You idiot!"
- Your Days Are Numbered: In her own route after she becomes a Union. Even if she never uses her Drive again she will eventually succumb to her Crystal so she decides to live all that remains of her life together with Touya.
- Zipperiffic: Her coat has one absolutely massive zipper hanging on the bottom, as well as having zippers on her coat's sleeves.
Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya
- Height: 178cm
- Weight: 67kg
- Age: 16
- Date of Birth: September 21
- Birthplace: Unknown
- Hobbies: Games, manga
- Likes: Hanging out with friends
- Dislikes: Being lectured
Touya’s best friend. His parents are overseas so he’s lived alone since junior high. He and Touya met when Touya would stand up to protect Akira when he got into fights. He attends Hakuo North Academy together with Touya and Hinata. He likes to make joke and is generally a comedic character, often getting jealous of Touya’s ever-increasing girl ensemble. However, underneath all of that is a loyal friend who hates violence and refuses to back down.
His desire to become stronger lets Acht manipulate him into becoming a Union. His Drive, Hekatonkheires lets him generate and control a large number of red wires from his hands that can be used to either constrict opponents or slice through almost anything. Thanks to his bond with Touya, he is able to regain control of himself and rip the Crystal out of his arm, making him the first Union to survive the Drive-Infection.
In Lost: Memories, he begins studying medicine alongside Hinata so that he can become a doctor so he can help save people just like he was saved after he removed his Crystal.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He is in love with Hinata but she is completely unaware of his feelings.
- Big Eater: So much so that it is because of his and Yuki’s appetites that every time the Himezuru family has meat it becomes a “sukiyaki war.”
- Brought Down to Normal: He loses his Drive when he rips his Crystal out of his arm.
- Butt Monkey: Like with Touya, a lot of the comedy comes from his suffering.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Has feelings for Hinata, who he has been close with ever since he met Touya.
- Childhood Friends: With Touya and Hinata. He became best friends with Touya after Touya would step in to protect Akira when he got into fights at school and became friends with Hinata as a result.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Downplayed. He wants to be in harem situations and he does try to flirt with Es once but other than that he doesn’t do or say anything very perverted to the girls and his feelings for Hinata are genuine.
- Cursed with Awesome: For some reason when he becomes a Union he progresses through the Phases at an abnormally fast rate, leading to him nearly going completely insane in a few days. However, this acceleration also means that his Crystal didn’t have time to fully integrate itself with his nervous system like it would have for most Unions, which is why he was able to survive ripping the Crystal out.
- Deal with the Devil: He accepts Acht’s offer to turn him into a Union so he can gain the power to fight and protect Hinata. It does not go well for him.
- Face–Heel Turn: He helps Acht when he becomes a Union and then attacks Touya as his mental state deteriorates.
- Harem Seeker: He gets jealous that only Touya gets into what he perceives to be harem situations.
- Heel–Face Turn: After Touya gets through to him and he rips out his Crystal Akira apologizes for what he did and returned to his normal friendly self.
- Heroic Willpower: He uses this to regain his sanity and rip the Crystal out of his arm.
- Heterosexual Life-Partner: With Touya.
- Human Pack Mule: Is tricked into being this when Hinata and Yuki take Es shopping in ''Lost: Memories”.
- Hypocritical Humor: When he sees Touya having lunch with Mei, Kuon and Elise he yells at Touya for creating another harem situation. Kuon and Mei point out that he is in a harem situation as well since he was out with Hinata, Yuki and Es.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: He hates being seen as weak and wants to be strong so he can protect Hinata. This leads him to accept Acht’s offer to turn him into a Union.
- Instant Knots: The wires created by Hekatonkheires can instantly wrap around and ensnare his opponents. He uses this to instantly bind Es when she tries to kill Acht and Hinata and knock her unconscious.
- Lonely Rich Kid: His parents are rich but he was forced to move and change schools a lot when he was younger, leading to him becoming antisocial. When he finally was able to stay in Shin Yokozaki City it was only because his parents had to live abroad for their work, leaving him on his own. This changed when he met and became close friends with Touya and Hinata.
- Longing Look: Occasionally gives these to Hinata which she is completely unaware of. The one time someone points it out to her he tries to cover it up by saying he saw a ghostly hand on her shoulder. Considering her fear of ghosts this turns out to be a very bad idea, like a Bad Ending causing bad idea.
- Love Makes You Evil/Crazy: His desire to protect Hinata helps motivate his decision to become a Union and as he becomes more and more crazy the only thing that remains is a desire to protect her at all costs.
- No One Should Survive That: Once someone becomes a Union their Crystal attaches itself to their nervous system, making it impossible to remove without killing the host. Akira is not only able to rip out his Crystal and survive, but even make a full recovery. Justified, he was able to do it before the crystal fully attaches itself to his nervous system.
- Non-Uniform Uniform: He wears the normal boy’s Hakuo North Academy uniform except he keeps his tie loose and wears black sneakers instead of brown shoes.
- Otaku: Downplayed. His hobbies are playing games and reading manga but he acts like a fairly casual fan and is nowhere near as much of an otaku as Mei or Elise.
- Out of Focus: He's rapidly pushed to the background, and outright disappears except for a small mention at the end of Kuon and Mei's routes.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents live abroad so he has been on his own since junior high.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Is mostly there just to provide humor, mostly at his expense.
- Put on a Bus: In Hinata's route he disappears from the story after forcibly removing his crystal and falling into a coma in the hospital.
- Razor Floss: His Drive, Hekatonkheires, creates incredibly sharp red strings.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: The only outfits we see him in aside from his school uniform are his swimsuit and a hospital gown.
- Super Power Meltdown: Something wasn't quite right with his Union transformation as his Crystal Level rapidly increased in an incredibly short time.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: As with all Unions, the more he uses his Drive the faster his Crystal gets polluted and the crazier he becomes. Taken Up to Eleven in his case though since his Crystal progresses at a much faster rate than normal.
Voiced by: Tomomi Isomura
- Height: 164cm
- Weight: 55kg
- Age: 26
- Date of Birth: January 30
- Birthplace: Unknown
- Hobbies: Driving, games, manga
- Likes: Coffee, work
- Dislikes: Minutiae
Hinata’s adoptive older sister and Touya’s legal guardian. Yuki is a doctor working at the Shin Yokozaki University Hospital. Because she works so much, she isn’t home very often and relies on Hinata to take care of the house. After seeing Ripper kill her parents, she was sent to the orphanage Touya and Hinata would go to three years later. Hinata helped her get over her depression and trauma and the three of them become very close. After she came of age and left the orphanage Yuki studied to become a doctor so she could come back and take in Touya and Hinata as her family. Yuki is very kind and energetic, having inherited Hinata’s optimism. She willingly accepts almost anyone into her family. As a doctor though, she is serious and intelligent, working her hardest at all times and taking a much more stern and direct attitude with others.
She is secretly working with the Mitsurugi Agency to find a cure for the Union outbreak. After Akira succeeds in removing his Crystal she watches over him and helps him with his rehabilitation.
In Lost: Memories, she begins tutoring Akira and Hinata so that they can follow in her footsteps and become a doctor and a nurse respectively.
- Big Eater: So much so that it is because of her and Akira’s appetites that every time the Himezuru family has meat it becomes a “sukiyaki war.”
- Break the Cutie: She witnessed Ripper brutally murdering in her parents and had to hide underneath their corpses to survive. No wonder she spent 3 years in a nearly catatonic state.
- Broken Bird: After surviving her encounter with Ripper and being sent to an orphanage, Yuki spent the next 3 years acting like an Empty Shell, barely responsive to anyone and anything. Meeting Hinata and being subjected to her sheer optimism and adorableness allowed Yuki to finally start recovering and develop into the Cool Big Sis she is currently.
- Cool Big Sis: She’s a beautiful and hardworking doctor who Hinata idolizes and everyone respects, even Mei.
- Cuteness Proximity: Like Hinata she freaks out over how cute Es is when they first meet, leading Yuki to subject Es is to Marshmallow Hell. Touya just tells the confused girl to accept it.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Her outfit as a teenager. It’s roughly the same length as Kuon’s, which means it’s barely long enough to prevent permanent Panty Shot while looking straight at her while she’s standing still.
- Expy: Yuki Hayami, Haruka’s mother from Bloodedge Experience, is one for her. Yuki Hayami also has orange hair and large breasts, works long hours, drinks a lot of coffee, teases the boy she is housing about his relationships and has a connection to the Mitsurugi Agency. In fact there are so many similarities that it’s heavily implied the two are the same person.
- Gag Boobs: Easily the bustiest chararacter in XBlaze. She actually looks like she could rival Litchi.
- Gamer Girl: One of her hobbies is playing video games.
- Genki Girl: Is often cheerful and excited, even when she is tired from working long hours.
- The Glomp: Does this to Hinata when she comes home since Hinata is also subject to her Cuteness Proximity.
- Harmful to Minors: Seeing your parents murdered in front of you when you’re only 13 is bad enough. Having to hide under their corpses to avoid their killer takes it Up to Eleven.
- Hidden Depths: Underneath the energetic Cool Big Sis is someone who has a very deep and serious love for everyone her family. She seems to consider everyone she’s close to, namely pretty much the whole cast, as part of her family, regardless of blood, background, or even how long they’ve known each other. This is most likely in response to the family she lost 13 years ago; after coming to realize just how much family means to her, she wants to share it with everyone and fill the gap that was left behind.
- Hospital Hottie: She’s works as doctor at Shin Yokozaki City University Hospital and is certainly hot.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: Fittingly since she is a doctor. In fact the only difference between her casual outfit and her work outfit is that she wears an open lab coat over it.
- Marshmallow Hell: An inevitable result of her glomping someone.
- Must Have Caffeine: Coffee is one of her likes and she often asks for it as soon as she gets home. Justified in that she has to work incredibly long hours at the hospital.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She is very affectionate and as such will hug, glomp or Marshmallow Hell people without warning.
- Not Blood Siblings: Hinata is her adopted sister. She is actually an extremely firm believer in this trope, considering everyone close to her to be part of her family regardless of blood.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She is aware of all the Union activity going on and actually works with the Mitsurugi Agency to search for a cure for the Drive-Infection.
- Parental Abandonment: Ripper’s first action after becoming a Union and escaping his prison transport was to break into her house and kill her parent’s leaving her to grow up in an orphanage.
- Parental Substitute: To Touya and Hinata who lived with her in the same orphanage.
- Shipper on Deck: She positively teases Touya about his relationship with Es and helps Es figure out how to make up with Touya while clearly hinting that Es has feelings for him. She also encourages Akira’s feelings for Hinata, saying that him accompanying her, Hinata and Es on their shopping trip is a great way to earn “brownie points” with Hinata and she starts tutoring the both of them in part so that they can spend more time together.
- Sole Survivor: Is the only one who survived Ripper’s attack on her house.
- The Tease: When Touya remarks on her subjecting Hinata to Marshmallow Hell she asks him if he wants a turn as well. Also sometimes for Akira.
- The Workaholic: As a doctor, she has an insane work schedule. Hinata had to step up to take care of all the cooking and housekeeping since Yuki was simply too busy to do any of it. Even before that she started working her ass off as soon as she left the orphanage so she could become a doctor and provide a home for Touya and Hinata when she became their guardian.
- You Gotta Have Orange Hair
- Zettai Ryouki: Had Grade C as a teenager.
Ringo Akagi/Marcelyn F. Mercury
Voiced by: Chie MatsuuraRingo is Toya’s superior at the curry shop, always telling Toya puzzling things about the etiquette for eating curry. She’s not a hard worker and gets bored easily. She is actually Marcelyn F. Mercury, who also the member of the Legendary Ten Sages, under the title Zwei.
- Retired Badass: Considering how badass Nine is...
- Shipper on Deck: She's one for Touya and Es, though it's mostly teasing on her part.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Curry rice. This is why she opens the curry shop in the first place. Back then in Ishana, Kuon's mother brought some curry with her from Japan and shares it with Marcelyn. She then got addicted to it.
Elise von Klagen
Voiced by: Nozomi YamamotoElise is an emissary from the Magic Guild. After not hearing from her best friend in a while she volunteered to investigate. Despite appearances, she’s a real tough cookie.
Voiced by: Akira KanazawaNearly always wearing a black cloak, Avenge’s true face is rarely ever seen. He is well aware of the serial killer: Ripper, and is hunting him down. Although Avenge knows magic and is associated with it, he never uses it for some unknown reason. He has some sort of connection with the Mitsurugi Agency and the Drive-Progressor Union.
Voiced by: Takahiro SakuraiSoichiro is director of Sector 7 of the Mitsurugi Agency's Shin Yokosaki Branch and is responsible for the regulation, protection, and management of D-Progressors. He also issues commands to Es and picks out her cute outfits.
- Expy: of Hazama. Even Sechs referred him as a "Snake".
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Wants to use Touya's Original Grimoire to connect to the Boundry and use the infinite seithr to power the T-System. He couldn't control it and ends up absorbed for his trouble.
- Laughing Mad: When he revealed his True Nature.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Claims to be this. He's trying to prevent mankind from destroying itself by effectively controlling the minds of everyone on the planet.
Voiced by: Kenichi SuzumuraA sadistic serial killer working under the alias of “Ripper", he has killed many elites of the Magic Guild and is wanted world wide. He is classed as an SS grade criminal, sharing this grade with Ragna the Bloodedge. Ripper is also one of the rare Drive-Progressors and has been on the run from the Mitsurugi Agency for over ten years but unlike every other Drive-Progressor, Ripper’s spirit hasn’t been contaminated by his Crystal and thus, he shows no irregularities.
- Eyepatch of Power: He wears one to cover up his crystal.
- Eyes Always Shut: His left eye is, at least.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: His interest at finding out why Touya "smells" differently than other humans by pushing him over the edge via attempting to kill Hinata caused Touya to activate the Grimoire and start channeling the power of the Black Beast. In Es/Hinata's route, it absorbed almost all his seithr, leaving him weakened enough to be ambushed and killed by Avenge. In Kuon/Mei's route, it outright absorbed him.
- Slasher Smile: Is almost constantly smiling. Watch out when he stops smiling.
- Wolverine Claws: His Drive, "Scissorhands", manifests as black claws that sprout out of his fingers. The claws can inflict Wound That Will Not Heal. He can also throw small spikes out of those claws.
Voiced by: Seiko YoshidaA young woman who is adept in the magical arts, Acht is eight in the Ten Sages. She once studied with Sechs and grew to love and respect him; No matter what his aims are, she trusts him and lives for him alone. Acht is a confident young woman she is brilliant at human psychology, easily being able to read emotions that lurk deep within people.
Voiced by: Kentaro ToneA member of the Ten Sages who has the number 3. He is also a philospher in discussing what is correct for the Ten Sages to do. He has a serious nature, and likes to figure out what to do during a makeshift power struggle regardless of loyalty. Once Sechs was accepted into the Ten Sages, Drei began to feel a little fanatic for some apparent reason.
- Underestimating Badassery: He dies in every route because he under-estimates Ripper and Avenge.
Voiced by: Tomokazu SugitaA Magician with the title of 6 in the Ten Sages, Sechs is a magical genius who was chosen to be a Saint at the mere age of 18. He has a vast amount of skills and his knowledge in the fields of magic are incredible; he is well known for being one of the first to explore magic-induced gravity fields. Sechs also has a strong relationship with Acht, but whether her feelings are reciprocated or not is unknown.
- Badass: His gravity powers are said to be able to destroy armies
- Big Bad
- Cain: to Kuon's Abel
- Fallen Hero: He was once one of the Ten Sages.
- Shadow Archetype: Kuon once stated that he was a lot like Touya before his Face–Heel Turn.
- Straw Nihilist: He feels death doesn't exist, and that life is meaningless because everyone become seither when they die.
They are mindless artificial beings who answer only to Soichiro Unomaru, their creator.
- Expy: Of Nu-13.
In Lost: Memories
Watashi/Me (Konoe A. Mercury/Nine)
Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura
- Height: Unknown
- Weight: Unknown
- Age: Unknown
- Date of Birth: Unknown (almost certainly April 30)
- Birthplace: Ishana
- Hobbies: Unknown
- Likes: Her little sister and mother
- Dislikes: That Bastard (AKA her father)
A young girl who will grow up to become Nine of the Six Heroes. She lives in the Magister's City: Ishana with her little sister (referred to as Imouto in the story). Watashi loves her sister very dearly and has taken up raising her and protecting her but is angry and violent to everyone else. She loathes her father, who used her and her mother as guinea pigs in his experiments.
After getting sucked into the Phantom Field and separated from Imouto, she forgets her name and meets Nobody. In order to find her missing sister, Watashi traverses the Phantom Field in search of the Memory Fragments that will let her reach Imouto at the lowest level of the Phantom Field.
For info about her adult self, see Blaz Blue Central Fiction.
- Artifact of Doom: Subverted. While her eye is the Original Grimoire, it is only a weaker replica that only has the power to absorb and store seithr with no connection to the Black Beast.
- Big Sister Instinct: She will do anything and everything to protect Imouto.
- Blessed with Suck: She was born with the power to automatically draw seithr towards herself. This results in everyone around her getting seithr poisoning, even her mother when she was in utero.
- Break the Cutie: Seeing her mother die and her father coldly take her away to experiment on her turned Watashi from a sweet and kind little girl into the angry loner that cares for nobody but her sister.
- Canon Name: While she is a case of Hello, Insert Name Here in game, her official name (or at least what she is officially called in this game) is Watashi. Of course her true canon name is Konoe, but the game doesn't let you use that name for her.
- Child Prodigy: She is good enough with magic to shoot fireballs, produce light, create protective wards and even repair the machine that can access the Phantom Field at her young age and even more impressively is completely self-taught.
- Cry Cute: When she says goodbye to Nobody while she helps recreate Es.
- Daddy Issues: She hates her dad because she thinks he didn’t care about his family and experimented on his wife immediately after she died. After learning that he truly cared for his family and how the death of his wife broke him she decides to try reconciling with him and is about to meet him at the end of the game. Unfortunately BlazBlue shows that this will not work out well.
- Decoy Protagonist: She is both the focal and playable character for the first half of the game but after she and Imouto are thrown out of the Phantom Field it becomes clear that Nobody/Es, who has both been traveling with Watashi and been the focus of the Memory Fragments Watashi viewed, is the true protagonist of the story. Watashi then returns Es to the XBlaze timeline and isn’t seen again until the end of the game.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: At the start of the game she is always angry and dismissive of Nobody but as she goes through the Phantom Field and experiences Es’s emotions she begins to open up to Nobody and even starts to see her as a friend. By the end of the game she has decided to let herself trust others and even tries to reconcile with her father.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father left to continue his research shortly after Imouto was born. He comes back to visit them at the end of the game but it evidently didn’t go well since they are still estranged by the time of Phase Shift.
- Dub Name Change: Her official name is “Me” in the English release.
- Energy Absorption: Her imitation Original Grimoire can absorb the seithr around her and absorbs the Memory Fragments over the course of the game.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her Original Grimoire eye has black sclera and the pupil is a large red X.
- Eyepatch of Power: She wears a large black eyepatch over her left eye. It is actually a Power Limiter that prevents her Original Grimoire from absorbing too much seithr.
- Fetus Terrible: She has always the ability to attract seithr towards herself, even when she was still in her mother's womb. The Original Grimoire replica is used to counteract that.
- Fiery Redhead: More like Fiery Pinkhead, but she's easily angered and violence-prone for such a young girl.
- Foreshadowing: If you try and input Nine as Watashi’s name, you get the message "It isn't quite time yet...".
- Good Is Not Nice: All she wants to do is protect her little sister. Doesn’t mean she has to be nice to anyone else. In fact she admits that the only reason she didn’t blast Nobody with fire magic on first sight is because the Phantom Field doesn’t let her use offensive magic.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It's really easy to anger her, especially if you're anyone besides her little sister.
- Hello, Insert Name Here: Initially Watashi has no name above her dialogue. Upon getting to the Phantom Field she forgets her name and Nobody tells her she has to give herself one or else she will start to lose all of her memories, at which point the player can choose one. However certain names, specifically those related to her real name, are rejected in various ways. For Phantom and various names related to Mercury it will forcibly cut off your input (turning Phantom into Phant) while others have specific error messages.
- Konoe: "After checking the database, you cannot use the inputted name. Sorry."
- Nine: "It isn't quite time yet..."
- Hey, You!: The fact that she calls her father “That Bastard” should give you a good idea of how good their relationship is.
- I Work Alone: She refuses to accept help from anyone and insists she can take care of Imouto herself, even assuming that everyone else is actually trying to kidnap Imouto because of her ability to suppress seithr. After she gives up on attacking Nobody Watashi tries to ditch her despite Nobody offering to guide her through the Phantom Field.
- Ineffectual Loner: Because of her father’s perceived betrayal, she refuses to trust anyone else and believe that she and she alone can and should take care of Imouto.
- Invocation: “Code: Soul Eater, ignite! XBLAZE!”
- Jerkass: She is not nice to Nobody at all. Despite Nobody only wanting to help her, Watashi constantly shouts at her, insults her, tries to ditch her and even tries to attack her as soon as they meet because apparently to Watashi the fact that Nobody knew about and spoke to Imouto meant that Nobody had to have kidnapped her.
- Just a Kid: How she thinks of Imouto because of her overprotectiveness. Watashi doesn’t even trust her to go to the store on her own.
- Knight Templar Big Sister: Believe it or not how we see Nine in BlazBlue ( At least before Central Fiction) is actually an improvement compared to how she is now. She is so paranoid that she believes that literally everyone who even knows about Imouto will try to kidnap her, that Watashi refuses to even let Imouto go outside and tries to attack Nobody despite her saying she will lead Watashi to her.
- Leave Me Alone!: She constantly says this to Nobody who keeps following her and offering to help her navigate the Phantom Field.
- Light 'em Up: She can use magic to make herself glow, which she uses to demonstrate magic to Nobody. Unlike her fire magic, she can still use it in the Phantom Field because it is not offensive magic.
- Magical Eye: Her left eye is a replica of the Original Grimoire. Her father created it and implanted it in her so that it could safely absorb the seithr she naturally attracts to herself. This Grimoire saved both her and her mother when she was in utero from dying of seithr poisoning due to Watashi’s ability. Like Touya’s Grimoire it can used the stored seithr to activate XBlaze.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died while giving birth to Imouto because the seithr poisoning Watashi inflicted left her too weak to handle a second pregnancy.
- No Social Skills: Due to her refusal to trust anyone resulting in a mostly reclusive life, she barely interacted with anyone besides Imouto and is unable to talk to anyone else without constantly insulting and shouting at them. She has improved significantly by the end of the game.
- Only Friend: Nobody due to her being Watashi’s first friend.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her bangs covered her left eye, which is itself covered by an Eyepatch of Power.
- Playing with Fire: Can use fire magic.
- Poisonous Person: She naturally attracts seithr towards her, which is harmful to humans in large doses. She nearly killed both herself and her mother in the womb due to this ability giving them seithr poisoning.
- Power Incontinence: She cannot control her seithr attraction and nearly killed her mother in utero because of this. By the time of Lost: Memories she still can’t turn it off and therefore can never stop her Original Grimoire from absorbing the seithr, even when the vast quantity of it in the Phantom Field is too much and causes her intense pain.
- Power Limiter: Her eyepatch limits her how much seithr her Original Grimoire absorbs to prevent it from overloading. Watashi has to remove it to activate her XBlaze. It is unclear if she still needs it at the end of the game since she is wearing it in the ending CGs but not in the post-credits scene.
- The Promise: Her mother’s Last Request was for Watashi to always look after and protect her little sister. Watashi takes this promise very seriously.
- Promotion to Parent: After her mother dies and her father abandons them to continue his research, she steps up to raise Imouto.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her left eye as a result of it being a replica Original Grimoire. It can only be seen when she unleashes the full power of her XBlaze.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: Because she devoted herself entirely to protecting Imouto, she doesn’t even attend school at the Magic Guild. She uses this time to practice magic on her own and becomes incredibly proficient with it. However this meant she had no interaction with anyone else and developed No Social Skill as a result.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Her right eye is gold and she is an incredibly skilled mage although it is her red left eye that is truly supernatural.
- Synchronization: Because her Original Grimoire absorbs the Memory Fragments, Watashi is able to experience all of Es’s emotions when she views her memories. Watashi’s empathy with Es’s developing feelings of love and friendship allows her to open up to others as well.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: More of a Tomboyish Sidetail, but still.
- Tsundere: She is incredibly kind and caring, if a bit condescending, to Imouto. Towards everyone else she is she is a violent and angry Jerkass.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: From what little we see, before seeing her mother die and her father perform experiments on her she was just as innocent and kind as Imouto is.
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair: As with all members of the Mercury family who are not brunettes.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- Height: Unknown
- Weight: Unknown
- Age: Unknown
- Date of Birth: Unknown
- Birthplace: Phantom Field
- Hobbies: Unknown
- Likes: Riddles, having fun
- Dislikes: Being alone
A mysterious girl who has lived in the Phantom Field for as long as she can remember. Nobody claims to have no memory but somehow knows all of the Phantom Field’s strange properties. She is perpetually happy and always wanting to have fun, especially having a fondness for riddles and puzzles. When she meets Watashi, she offers her the chance to find her sister, Imouto, by guiding her to the bottom of the Phantom Field. As she and Watashi travel together the two become each other's first and most precious friend.
Her true identity is Es, or rather the Embryo. After Es fell into despair and crystalized her memories into Memory Fragments, Nobody was born as a personification of the Embryo. She is forced to stay in the Phantom Field to prevent the Embryo from distorting the world. With the help of Watashi, she is able to use the power of the Embryo to create a human body for Es and send it to the real world with Es’s memories, but sacrificing her own Phantom Memories in the process.
- Absolute Cleavage: The strips of cloth that hang over each breast leaves everything in between them completely exposed and they are not wide enough to even cover the whole breast.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: Especially noticeable due to her giant heart shaped ahoge constantly reversing.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of the Embryo. After Es seals away her memories, the Embryo develops a new persona in the form of Nobody.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: She is very... odd to say the least. She doesn’t seem to get that Watashi is trying to get away from her so she drives Watashi insane when she keeps following and she often forgets important things.
- Cry Cute: She cries after Watashi and Imouto leave the Phantom Field and she is alone again, when she explains to Watashi how Es fell into despair and how hopeless her situation is and when she gives up her Phantom Memories to power the XBlaze and has to forget her most cherished friend.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Most of her very small amount of clothing is black but she is entirely harmless and happy-go-lucky.
- Eyes Always Shut: Never opens them but can somehow still see. She does this to hide the fact that she has the Azure Eyes due to being the Embryo.
- Fingerless Gloves: Her Opera Gloves only cover most of her hand and stop at the base of her middle finger.
- Foreshadowing: She has a large ahoge in the shape of a heart, much like Es has one shaped like a question mark. This is because she is Es (or rather her body and the Embryo left behind after Es turned her memories into crystals) and because Nobody was created as result of Es’s broken heart.
- Genki Girl: Is happy and full of energy all the time, much to Watashi’s constant annoyance.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Although she didn’t fully realize until Watashi and Imouto enter the Phantom Field, she is very lonely and wants to have friends she can play with.
- Idiot Hair: Has a large ahoge in the shape of a heart.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She has no idea who she is or why she’s in the Phantom Field. Even her name is just one she gave herself. The only thing she seems to know is the rules of the Phantom Field.
- Faking Amnesia: She knows exactly who and what she is. While traversing the Phantom Field she acts excited about all the new things she sees like eating pudding and going to the pool but is fully aware of how things end for Touya.
- Literal Split Personality: Nobody is what is left behind after Es purges herself of her memories after crossing the Despair Event Horizon. She is essentially just the Embryo in human form.
- Love Hurts: She was literally born because of this. After Watashi returns to the Phantom Field she says that she prepared herself to always live alone since she cannot return to Touya and tells Watashi to leave since her being there only makes it more difficult and painful to return to being alone.
- Multicolored Hair: Her hair is mostly white but has black tips.
- Mysterious Waif: This girl has lived in the Phantom Field for god knows how long without noticing anything odd about it. While she does act more cheerful than most other examples of the trope, this makes her even more mysterious instead.
- Mystical White Hair: She is a mysterious girl who is actually the Embryo and happens to have white hair.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She has tendency to pop up right in front of Watashi’s face.
- Occult Blue Eyes: Has the Azure Eyes because she is the Embryo.
- Opera Gloves: Wears black Fingerless Gloves that go up to her upper arm.
- Perpetual Smiler: Is almost always smiling.
- Riddle Me This: She likes riddles and will give Watashi one at the end of each floor of the Phantom Field. She says she developed her fondness for riddles and puzzles to keep herself entertained. When she pushes Watashi and Imouto into the Phantom Field’s exit she gives Watashi one last riddle. “Who am I”?
- The Soulless: Played with, much like Nobodies of Kingdom Hearts. Es scattered her own memories in the form of Memory Fragments, leaving behind Nobody, who, while still having Es' soul, becomes an entirely new being without Es’s memories. Like KH's Nobodies, who grew a heart over time, this Nobody also gets her own “Phantom Memories” from her experiences as her own person. Later on, Watashi creates a new body for Es using the power stored in her Phantom Memories and transferred her now memory free soul into the new body along with Es is memories. Es is able to regain these memories when she uses their power to activate her Lost Memory: XBlaze.
- Stepford Smiler: She hides the fact that she knows about her past as Es and the heartbreak she had behind a cheerful demeanor and peppy actions. Even though she knows she can’t leave the Phantom Field she happily expresses her desire to eat pudding and go to a pool and even when she pushes Watashi and Imouto out of the Phantom Field she gives her last riddle with a smile.
- Stocking Filler: Wears white thigh high stockings that have suspenders connected to her panties on the back.
- Stripperific: Her clothes consists of thigh high stockings, Opera Gloves, a thong and two strips of partially see through cloth that hang freely over her breasts. That's all.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade B.
Imouto/Little Sister (Celica A. Mercury)
Voiced by: Iori Nomizu
- Height: Unknown
- Weight: Unknown
- Age: Unknown
- Date of Birth: Unknown (almost certainly September 8)
- Birthplace: Ishana
- Hobbies: Unknown
- Likes: Family
- Dislikes: Standing still
A young Celica A. Mercury. Imouto lives in the Magister’s City: Ishana with her older sister Watashi. She is a sweet young girl who looks up to and respects her older sister but does not like how overprotective Watashi is of her and desires more freedom. When the two of them get transported to the Phantom Field she wakes up in the lowest level and meets Nobody who gives her a name and then goes to bring Watashi to her.
For info about her adult self, see Blaz Blue Chrono Phantasma.
- Advertised Extra: She is advertised as being one of the main and most prominent characters but Watashi spends most of the game just searching for her and shortly after they reunite Es takes over as the main protagonist and focus shifts to the main XBlaze timeline.
- Batman Gambit: Having Watashi traverse the Phantom Field to find her was her idea. Upon meeting Nobody and seeing the Memory Fragments about her father, Imouto realizes that even if Watashi saw them she wouldn’t believe it and assume it was a lie. She stays at the bottom of the Phantom Field and sends Nobody to guide Watashi to her so that Watashi has to experience Es’s memories and will therefore believe the memories about her father.
- Big Sister Worship: She idolizes her older sister although that doesn’t stop her from being upset that Watashi treats her like a helpless child.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Brown hair and eyes.
- The Cutie: She is a younger and more innocent Celica after all.
- Damsel in Distress: Subverted. Watashi assumes she is this when they are separated (and assumes Nobody is the one responsible) but Nobody says that she is safe on the lowest level of the Phantom Field and since Nobody gave her a name, she is not at risk of losing her memory. While Watashi is skeptical, and believes that at the very least she is scared and lonely, when they finally reunite she is completely fine just like Nobody said.
- Dub Name Change: Her name is “Little Sister” in the English release.
- Gilded Cage: In a way her house is one for her. While she is living happily there with her beloved older sister, she is forbid from every going out on her own, so she is essentially trapped there. This is her dislike is standing still, because she wants freedom to move about wherever she wants.
- Living Macguffin: What Watashi thinks she is. Because of her ability to suppress seithr Watashi assumes that any mage who learns about her will kidnap her to perform experiments on.
- Power Nullifier: She can naturally suppress and negate all of the seithr around her.
- Protectorate: For Watashi. Imouto doesn’t like how far Watashi goes because of this, especially that she won’t let her go outside.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: While Watashi is brash and violent, Imouto is innocent and gentle. Whereas Watashi attracts seithr, Imouto neutralizes it.
Voiced by: Sayuri YahagiA small doll with sentience that belonged to Ripper before his death. Now Kiri holds it.
Voiced by: Kenichi SuzumuraA mysterious young man who has lost all memories of the past except his name, and the current owner of Brain Cat. He has come to Shin Yokozaki City from far away to fight the leader of the so-called 'bad guys'.
- Back from the Dead: He's actually Ripper's corpse reanimated by the Magic Guild, but he grows his own personality. Later on, though, Ripper's soul manages to merge with him.
- Consulting Mister Puppet: Sometimes engages in this with Brain Cat. The doll can actually speak, however.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His right eye is covered by his hair. It's the same Union Crystal as Ripper's.