- Affectionate Nickname: Is fondly called "Kubo-chan" by Tokito.
- Badass: With full complement of Firing One-Handed, Offhand Backhand, Guns Akimbo, and Boom, Headshot.
- Berserk Button: While Kubota maintains a stoic attitude no matter what he is feeling, but harm Tokito in any way, he will show no mercy shown especially when he kills his old yakuza underlings and friends when Tokito gets kidnapped by them.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While Makoto may not be nice, per se, he is outwardly calm and polite...until you attract the wrong kind of attention from him.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Lampshaded by Komiya.
- Combat Pragmatist: Improvised Weapon; Human Shield; Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique; Trojan Horse; In the Back; Shoot the Dog. And he cheats at mahjong.
- Disproportionate Retribution
- The Dragon: Makoto is this for Sanada and the Izumokai group for a short period of time.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Megane: Four Eyes, Zero Soul, and they don't come off. Scary Shiny Glasses is often subverted, the better to see his Death Glare.
- Over-the-Shoulder Carry: Carries Tokito like this when he first brings him to his apartment in chapter 26.
- Parental Neglect: The implied reason for his social detachment. The Heroic Bastard of a Mysterious Parent, he was ignored by the people who raised him and scarcely less so by Kasai, who became his guardian after the death of his mother.
- Ship Tease: With Tokito.
- Smoking Is Cool
- The Stoic: With Nerves of Steel.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Tokito.
- Younger Than They Look: Kubota looks to be in his twenties, at least 21, and older than Tokito, he is really only 17.
- Amnesiac Hero: Trauma-Induced Amnesia, with Troubled Backstory Flashbacks that hint at a Dark and Troubled Past, perhaps involving Tested on Humans.
- Distressed Dude: In the second, fifth, and sixth volumes.
- Evil Hand: His bestial right hand is a symptom of usually fatal W.A. use. The hand is abnormally strong, but causes him fits of extreme pain, and the affected area is growing.
- Morality Pet: Kubota's yardstick of good and bad is, essentially, what is good or bad for Tokito.
- No Social Skills: He was socialised by a ten-year-old boy... and Kubota. Kubota says that he only speaks the truth.
- Older Than They Look: Tokito looks to be about 16 and physically appears younger than Kubota, he is actually three years older than Kubota, at the age of 20.
- Protectorate: Kubota's, and vice versa.
- Ship Tease: With Kubota.
- Tsundere: Both types, he's very affectionate and close to Kubota, but shows discomfort when someone suggests they are lovers, but also he can be short-tempered towards Kubota, but doesn't like it when someone makes advances towards him, bordering on Crazy Jealous Guy.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Kubota.
- Cool Old Guy
- Dirty Cop: Makoto states that his uncle Kasai is "probably the most crooked detective in all of Japan." It's unclear how true this is, as Kasai hasn't yet been seen doing anything to earn him this distinction besides giving his nephew information on cases of interest.Kasai: Listen, boys. I don't actually give a fuck who did it.
- First-Name Basis: The only character who addresses Kubota as Makoto.
- Friend on the Force: A good source of cover-ups, access to crime scenes, and official research on W.A.; he and Araki sometimes act as Mr. Exposition for the latter.
- Old Cop, Young Cop: With his partner Detective Araki.
- Parental Substitute: Kubota's maternal uncle, who adopted him as a teenager.
- Hands-Off ParentingKasai: Hey, Makoto. So it's true? You're with Izumo now?Kasai: I ain't gonna question your life choices, kid.
- Cryptic Conversation
- Arms Dealer: Of the Gangland Gun Runner variety.
- Back-Alley Doctor: And veterinarian. Unlicensed...
- Shopkeeper: ...and owns a shop...
- Stereotypes of Chinese People: ...in the Chinese district of Yokohama.
- Affably Evil
- Ambiguously Gay: Other than hitting on Kubota, his sexual preferences aren't specified.
- The Don: leader of the Izumo group.
- Dragon Ascendant: becomes leader of the Tojou group.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Sissy Villain: A Camp Gay, Depraved Homosexual Agent Peacock of a Gayngster.
- Would Hit a Girl: A pregnant girl.
- Even Bad Men Love Their MamasKomiya: What the hell were you doing?! I get your drugs! I do! That's not enough for you, you whore?
- First-Person Peripheral Narrator: The narrator and Kubota's Sidekick during the prologue arc.
- Son of a Whore: He joined Izumo because they own the establishment where she works.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Komiya seems to have a few moments of this when he's around Makoto.
- Yakuza: The second-in-command of the Izumo youth group.