The Mariner / Ulysses
Played by: Kevin Costner
- Apparently Human Merfolk: The "individual with special perk" kind. Though it was due to a mutation.
- But Now I Must Go: Decides to leave the island because he's become used to the motion of the sea, and feels he belongs there due to having lived there his whole life.
- Defrosting Ice King: Start out as a cold and insensitive guy, but eventually comes to care for Helen and Enola.
- The Stateless: Has no nationality since his former nation was drowned by the waters.
Played by: Jeanne Tripplehorn
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: When she's hungry, or to put in her words, when she wants some FOOD!
Played by: Tina Majorino
- Bratty Half-Pint: The Mariner sees her as this, until he warms up to her.
- The Determinator: If this kid wants to draw, she's gonna draw, period.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: Her tattoo on her back. Which ended up to be crucial to find dry land.
- Sdrawkcab Name: Enola spelled backwards is "alone" and given that she was orphaned, it was rather fitting. It's also a lampshade how coordinates on her tatoo work.
Played by: Gerrard Murphy
- The Alcoholic: He has a taste for "Black Death" Vodka.
- The Dragon: The second in command of the Smokers.
- No Name Given: Simply The Nord.
Played by: Dennis Hopper
- Big Bad: He's in charge of a band of pirates known as Smokers who regularly terrorize folks and plans on using Enola to get him and his pirates to dry land (as the tattoo on her back is actually a map), and ends up chasing The Mariner across the ocean for her.
- Dark Messiah: The Smokers see him as their saviour and the one who will lead them to dry land.
- Large Ham: Well it is Dennis Hopper playing him.
- No Name Given: Is simply referred to as The Deacon.
- Rasputinian Death: His plane crashes to the ground with him inside to start off with. Then as he tries to climb into Gregors hot air balloon to get Enola, he is kicked off by The Mariner, and is finally killed when his jet ski crashes into two other smokers while trying to get Enola
Played by: Michael Jeter
- Chekhov's Gunman: He shows up to rescue the Mariner and Helen after the Smokers destroy the trimaran.
- Deus Exit Machina: His hot air balloon flew up too early and he was absent for most of the movie.