Here's a list of the characters that appear in Vividred Operation
. Beware of unmarked spoilers!
Akane Isshiki / VividRed
An energetic and cheerful fourteen-year old who lives with her grandfather Kenjirou and younger sister Momo, with a part-time job as a newspaper courier riding the world's only flying bicycle, created by Kenjirou. One day, however, her peaceful life is disrupted when an alien race called Alone emerges on Earth and wreaks havoc. In response, Kenjirou gives her a key to unlock the Vivid System, which grants her amazing abilities (along with a special costume called a palette suit) in order to save the world.
- All-Loving Hero: She's very kind and shows love to everyone. Also, she did everything to save Rei even after knowing she was responsible for the Alone attacks.
- Ambiguously Lesbian: She is very affectionate with even recent acquaintances, addressing them with the affectionate suffix "-chan", eager to kiss Aoi, and shown to have some sort of crush on Rei.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Seagulls distract her... a lot.
- Badass Adorable
- Cool Big Sis: In spite of Momo being more level headed, responsible and maturer than she is, Akane is nevertheless a nurturing and kind maternal figure that Momo looks up to in their mother's absence.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red eyes and hair.
- The Ditz: No Akane, you can't fix "Himawari-chan" with sticky white rice.
- Elemental Punch: VividRed's Vivid Punch attack uses the Power Of Creation itself.
- Eleventh Hour Super Power: The VividRed Operation form.
- Expy: From both Airi (character design wise, except younger) and Yoshika Miyafuji (personality). Both characters were designed by the same creator.
- Fiery Redhead: She's a passionate and outgoing red-head.
- Genki Girl: She's very active and outgoing. It's rare to see her show any other emotion besides being bright and cheery.
- Girlish Pigtails: Befitting her happy-go-lucky nature.
- The Heart: She is the glue that holds the team together.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Aoi.
- Idiot Hero: Actions first, think second.
- Nice Girl: Akane is friendly and optimistic, being willing to provide help to anyone who requires it.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Tends to be rather physical when it comes to the other girls, especially, with Rei in the bath tub in episode 10, where she shoves her ass in Rei's face to show her a birth mark with a prideful look on her face. Wow, Akane....
- Power Gives You Wings: As VividRed.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Her weapon when transformed — Naked Rang.
- Red-Headed Heroine
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Aoi's blue. She's cheery and full of life.
- Trademark Favorite Food: She's very fond of mayonnaise and often squeezes a large amount of it on rice and vegetables.
- Why Did It Have to Be Heights?: Ironic enough, given that most of her sorties involve aerial combat. It stemmed from a factory explosion seven years ago that killed her father and severely injured her mother.
Aoi Futaba / VividBlue
Voiced by: Rie Murakawa
Akane's classmate and best friend, as well as the daughter of a wealthy family, who's currently in Oshima Island for medical treatment. With her parents too busy to pay her a visit, Akane becomes her source of strength, more so when the Alone began their rampage, becoming the second Vivid System user with a blue palette.
Wakaba Saegusa / VividGreen
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo
Member of New Oshima Academy's kendo team and representative of the class to which Akane and Aoi were transferred. Competitive and at the same time a lover of cute things, as well as a bit dorky, she initially challenges Akane to a duel after being inspired by her father to discover her "true strength", and eventually becomes the third Vivid System user with a green color scheme.
Himawari Shinomiya / VividYellow
Voiced by: Aya Uchida
A hacker and classmate of Akane, Aoi and Wakaba. Following a traumatic incident, she has since shut herself into her room, attending school through a camera attached to her class seat. After Akane saves a power plant, she finds the courage to come back to school, in the process becoming the fourth Vivid System user with a yellow motif.
- Attack Drone: Her weapons of choice, Naked Collider. She can also turn them into a BFG as Vivid Yellow.
- Barrier Warrior: Himawari uses her mechanical gauntlets to deflect and redirect enemy attacks.
- Catch Phrase: "Ma, ma... (Yeah, yeah...)"
- Curtains Match the Window: Yellow/Golden
- Frilly Upgrade: Vivid Yellow's costume is a fancy dress with a lot of frills. Out of all the other Vivids, she's the one that appears to look closest to the traditional Magical Girl attire.
- Gainaxing: Most prominent on a conveyor belt in Episode 6 no less.
- Hair Decorations: Her yellow hair clips given to her by Wakaba give her cuter appearance.
- Hidden Buxom: Is the most shapely and well endowed of the four heroines, a fact well hidden by her baggy and loose choice of clothes.
- Hikikomori: She still technically attends class through her camera. It stemmed from an incident where a friend betrayed her trust. She eventually starts breaking out of her shell once Akane made a promise and kept that.
- Hollywood Nerd
- Loners Are Freaks
- Mega Twintails: Vivid Yellow has huge, loosely curled twin tails.
- Messy Hair: Before meeting Akane and co, her hair was unkempt and her bangs went into her eyes (probably to show how she doesn't care much about her appearance).
- Ms. Fanservice: The Beach Episode makes it clear that she has the curviest body (and largest rack) of the main heroines, and Episode 9 shows that she's so good-looking she can't take two steps without being asked out and getting scouted by photo magazines.
- Playful Hacker: She does break into places where she shouldn't go, but solely out of curiosity/admiration for her target.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Even though she doesn't seem to care much about her personal appearance, a small amount of grooming from Wakaba makes her quite beautiful.
A quiet, reclusive girl who happens to be in the Vivid girls' class. In reality, she works for the Alone by firing arrows that transform them into more vicious forms, and even then she has no choice for the matter, being forced to work for an entity called "The Crow" if she wants to resurrect her parents.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She has long dark hair, pale skin, and has an aloof, standoffish personality.
- Apocalypse Maiden/Magnetic Plot Device: She's a living beacon for the Alone, and killing her would destroy the world.
- Animal Motifs: Birds of all types. Gulls flock around her. Her only real friend seems to be a parakeet. She works for the Crow, albeit reluctantly.
- Badass Normal: Subverted. She can't transform and her only power seems to be to power up Alones. That doesn't stop her from assaulting a heavily guarded compound single-handedly with just the weapons she looted on the spot. Her heightened physical abilities are later explained as stemming from the fact that she's actually from a different universe. Kenjirou theorizes that slight differences in the laws of physics in her native universe translates to enhanced abilities in the current one.
- Broken Bird
- But Now I Must Go: Her world is restored by the mysterious beings that sent the Alone after the Crow is destroyed by her and Akane in VividRed form.
- Curtains Match the Window: Dark purple/black.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her entire world was destroyed in an accident related to the Manifestation Engine, and was forced to take orders from the Crow if she really wants to see her parents or anyone in her world again.
- Dark Magical Girl: Fits the archetype, but her package doesn't seem to come with the powers.
- Eaten Alive:Swallowed Whole, to be exact. She got better, fortunately.
- Expy: An almost-blatant allusion to Homura Akemi in terms of appearance and personality, as well as Fate Testarossa motive-wise.
- Human Alien
- Loners Are Freaks: Not that it's going to stop Akane from trying to be friendly to her.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: Almost always wears a scarf. Even in her bikini. Justified, in that it hides the mark of the crow. Incidentally, it's also tied in a physically impossible way. At the finale she gives it to Akane as a reminder of their friendship before she returns to her restored world.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her key, which she uses as a necklace, is the only memory she has of her deceased parents.
- Unwitting Pawn
- When She Smiles
Akane and Momo's grandfather who is secretly a disgraced scientist and a developer of the Manifestation Engine. Following an accident following the completion of the Vivid System his consciousness is transferred to a stuffed otter named "Uso" while his body is stored in a refrigerator.
- Cassandra Truth: Tried to warn the world of the Alone. They didn't listen, and in a few years they did come.
- Cool Old Guy
- Dirty Old Man
- Ignored Expert: Nobody believed his prophecy of the Alone's arrival. He was declared a pariah from the scientific world, and he began working independent of government funding, which more often than not dries up his family's funds.
- Mad Scientist: As he proudly lampshades.
- Weasel Mascot: The result of an unfortunate bit of body-switching. He gets better.
Voiced by: Asuka Oogame
Akane's fifth-grade younger sister who handles her family's expenses.
Voiced by: Haruka Yamazaki
An officer for the National Defense Forces (NDF) who also doubles as Akane, Aoi, Wakaba and Himawari's homeroom teacher at New Oshima Academy.
Management bureau head of the Manifestation Engine and an old acquaintance of Kenjirou.
Voiced by: Sakura Nakamura
Akane and Momo's mother who remained hospitalized several years after the accident that killed her husband and triggered Akane's acrophobia.
A mysterious bird that seems to have Rei work for her to have the Alone destroy the Manifestation engine.