open/close all folders
Mamoru HijikataCodename: Blade
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: His main weapon is a shikomizue disguised as a blind cane, with a monomolecular blade.
- Bad Ass: He takes on entire groups of people and makes it out relatively unscathed.
- Blind Weaponmaster
- Blood Knight: He's constantly smiling when confronted with a challenge.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Since he can't kill the criminals he stops, he often gets...creative...when it comes to punishing them for their crimes (this can entail such humiliations as losing an arm and a leg in Edge Turus's case). A lot of them end up wishing Mamoru had killed them. Fang kills himself rather than live with Mamoru's "punishment."
- Immune to Fate: Overcomes Haruka's predictions whenever she thinks he's going to fail.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's calm and collected in most situations.
- Car Fu: He's shown to be competent when driving the truck the team uses.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Igawa's very good with machines
- Playful Hacker: He hacks Fang's drones during the battle with him.
- Baby Factory: How the final Big Bad sees her. Since he doesn't want to wait, he's making his fifth wife, and doctor, feed her fertility drugs and having the rest of his harem be surrogate mothers for the ova he's extracting.
- Bad Ass: After training for a month with Mamoru and his master she's able to handle herself pretty well.
- Blessed with Suck: Yes, she can see and manipulate the future, but it's difficult, strenuous, and when certain groups found out about this ability, they killed her parents, drove off her maternal grandmother, kidnapped her, repeatedly, isolated her by threatening the lives of her friends and classmates, and sold information about her to a Social Darwinist that wants to use her as a Baby Factory as a direct result.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Her mother and father were exceptionally good people, and they were killed by the Yakuza when they kidnapped her For the Evulz. Mamoru made them pay for it, repeatedly. Narrowly avoided in relation to her maternal grandmother, who was pursuing her missing person case, but Mamoru had to get that woman to act like Haruka was dead so the Yakuza would stop targeting her.
- Living MacGuffin: Even before the Big Bad knew about her, various unpleasant people were making her life a living hell by trying to own, control, or outright kill her.
- Stepford Smiler: Briefly when she has to quit school and stop seeing her friends
- Waif Prophet: A limited version, as she only sees the most probably outcome(s).
Dai IbukiMamoru's replacement after the time skip
A branch of the Elements Network who are named after the military alphabet.
- Bad Ass: Can fight and command his troops all at once and was a former Green Beret
- The Leader: Seem's to be type II as he is fairly practical
SierraReal name: Serena
- Action Girl
- Amicable Exes: Seems to be that way with Kilo
- Bad Ass: As to be expected from someone in The Wall
- Bad Ass In Distress: During the Fang arc
- Mama Bear: To Haruka, especially because she lost her own daughter
JulietSierra's replacement after the Fang arc.
- Action Girl: Manages to holder her own against multiple opponents
- Bad Ass
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Igawa after he falls for an enemy trap
- Broken Bird: She was raped and stabbed, as a result she can no longer have kids.
- The Gadfly: Deliberately gets on the nerves of the people she works with in order to get a better read on them.
- Rape as Backstory
- Amicable Exes: With Sierra
- Debt Detester: Runs off to save Haruka because he hates owing Mamoru for saving him
- Knife Nut: Always seen with a knife
Edge TurusThe main antagonist who sends assassins after Mamoru and Haruka
- Artificial Limbs: Gains them after getting hacked up by Mamoru.
- Butt Monkey: Happens to him after Mamoru dismembering him.
- Diplomatic Impunity: Brags about it before being cut up by Mamoru.
- Evil Cripple: Again a result of the aforementioned cutting.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: This is what ultimately does him in during the fight with Aegis and Genda. He sets a couch on fire to trigger the phantom pain of Aegis losing his arm and even wields an upgraded version of Aegis' own prosthetic against him. However, Aegis and Genda turn the automatic function of Turus' new arm against him and Aegis verbally exploits that absolute hatred that Turus has for Mamoru, invoking Turus' own phantom pain to get him to lose control in their confrontation and giving Aegis and Genda the edge.
- Humiliation Conga: After Mamoru dismembered him, he's been the subject of this.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Mamoru does not allow Edge to go unpunished for his actions, the price for sending off Haruka's information? An arm and a leg. The price for sending assassins after Haruka? Another arm gone. The price for sending more assassins after Haruka and claiming Haruka is his property? Genda and Aegis take or destroy every one of his prosthetic limbs. Oh and they're not done. The price for making Haruka's life hell by sending Yakuza to kidnap her and selling her information to his Social Darwinist father? Break Edge Turus out of jail, and have him be a Category Traitor by framing him for treason for trying to overthrow Warlord Turus.
- Villainous Breakdown: Has one as a result of Genda and Tate provoking him. According to them it's part of the trauma Mamoru inflicted when he....well ya know
KomuraA lieutenant of the Yakuza
FangThe first assassin sent after Mamoru
- Attack Drone: Uses these to fight
- Driven to Suicide: Mamoru beats him, destroys all his drones, and leaves him completely helpless. Terrified of being tortured at the hands of his own coworkers for his secrets, Fang sells the information he gained from his fight in exchange for a quick and relatively painless bullet to the head.
- Gadgeteer Genius:
- Professional Killer
- Awesome by Analysis: He's able to figure out tactics on how to fight Mamoru by watching data from Fang's attack.
- Evil Genius: Plays this role for the bad guys.
- It Amused Me: By and large seems to be the reason for his criminal activities. He carries them out to keep himself entertained.
Warlord TurusThe father of Edge Turus, and the warlord of a small, apartheid stricken nation.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's not just a ruthless political mastermind, he's a brutal fighter.
- Badass: Say what you will about his personality, this guy won't go down easy. Jesus is the one guy to fight this man to a standstill, and Mamoru credits that to Jesus' incredible luck.
- Big Bad: All the hell Haruka's been through can easily be laid at his feet, and he likes it that way.
- Charles Atlas Super Power: He's on record lifting cars barehanded, and can move so fast, it takes turning an 80 meter radius around him into a killing field to wound him. Mamoru once tried a suicidal Taking You with Me attack, but was off by a mere one thousandth of a second and lost. Mamoru lived.
- Genius Bruiser: He's the end product of generations of selective breeding for physical strength and intellect. He considers himself the pinnacle of human evolution, meaning his children will, at best, only be able to match him. He wants Haruka's ability so that future generations can someday surpass him.
- Large and in Charge: He towers over everybody in the cast, runs a country, and is easily the most powerful and antagonistic character revealed to date.
- Royal Harem: Has a harem of at least a dozen wives, and since they're all caged in an underground facility, it's safe to say they're not there willingly. Haruka is his latest acquisition.
- Slavery Is a Special Kind of Evil: He practices slavery in his country, and it is repeatedly shown just how bad that is.
- Stout Strength: He's got a lot of girth, but don't mistake that for fat. He's over 300 pounds of pure muscle.
- Super Senses: This can can instinctively tell when his life's in danger, he can even sense someone with a sniper rifle coming miles away. Haruka's the one who's come closest to actually harming him because she explicitly has no killing intent.
- Turus:"I see. If you had a knife, you could have pierced my heart. Specifically because you have no killing intent. Terrifying."
- Villain with Good Publicity: For the "white" people of his country. The dark skinned live in constant fear of what he'll do. Part of Mamoru's plan to go after him is to make Edge Turus destroy that public image.
- Virtue Is Weakness: He couldn't care less about the well being of his wives, mates, offspring, or citizens. He also looks down on anyone, or any nation who does.
- War for Fun and Profit: He's constantly provoking other nations, up to going and committing terrorist acts and war atrocities, so he can enjoy beating down and brutalizing the soldiers of that other country and seize plunder.
- With My Hands Tied: He can and has beat the stuffing out of several powerful characters while holding his arms behind his back. The only times he's had to get serious and actually pull out a weapon are against Jesus and Mamoru.