Characters: Totally Canon Naruto-Other Leaf Village Members
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
Naruto's loved ones
"Stop acting like a baby! You want to know what I really think of you?! I think you're one of my most precious students… and… you're like a little brother to me."
OK, he doesn't appear all that often, but to deny his impact on Naruto's life would be impossible.
Iruka is a Chunin, an academy instructor, and — at first — one of the only people willing to acknowledge Naruto as anything other than a hideous monster. This is largely because Naruto's childhood mirrored his own - both lost their parents at an early age, and both tried to cope by acting out and becoming goofballs. (Though it's stated that Iruka did
hate Naruto at first — his parents were killed by the Kyuubi, after all). It's this influence in Naruto's life that keeps him from becoming a psychotic killer — like, for example, Gaara.
Iruka appears rather infrequently in the plot, but remains incredibly beloved with the fandom. He figures pretty heavily into the first episode, where he fights Mizuki with Naruto, but later is reduced to a few cameo appearances. He's also involved in one of the filler arcs and actually gets to fight.
, he appears to welcome back Naruto to the village, then doesn't show up for a long
time. He finally reappears in Chapter 405, where he helps Naruto get over the death of Jiraiya. Pain attacks him during the second invasion of Konoha, but Kakashi saves him. During the Ninja War arc, he's sent to try and stop Naruto leaving the island, but decides to tell him the truth about the war, and is unable to prevent Naruto from running off.
- All There in the Manual / Informed Ability: He's a chuunin academy teacher and possibly one of the most genuinely kind people in Konoha, but his overall stats reveal that he is more skilled than quite a few jounin and special jounin.
- Attention Whore: As a young boy, he would do ridiculous things like humiliate himself in front of his classmates for attention to cope with the loneliness of being an orphan.
- Badass Teacher: Dude threw himself in front of a giant ass shuriken in order to protect Naruto in the first chapter.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's an extremely laid-back and compassionate man in almost every appearance, but that all flies out the window when someone tries to hurt Naruto.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards his former or current students, especially Naruto.
- Character Development: Pretty decent amount for a minor character. In the beginning of the series, he had no problem requesting that none of the Rookie Nine be allowed to take the Chuunin exams while their teachers were present. He taught them all so he believed that he had a better idea of their strengths and weaknesses were. He didn't think any of them were prepared. Kakashi tells him rather matter-of-factly that they were not his students anymore but the members of Team 7 were his soldiers. Later on, he understands Kakashi's words for himself when he is able to be the one to congratulate Team 7 when they passed the second phase of the exams. In his most recent appearance, he appears to have come to terms with Naruto's growth as a shinobi through a letter to him wishing for his safe return.
- Cool Teacher
- Geometric Magic: We finally see him use a ninjutsu in chapter 535 and its a barrier seal but Naruto is able to escape easily.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Across his nose.
- Like a Little Brother to Me: Towards Naruto. Frequently mixes into the fatherly domain as well.
- Mr. Fanservice: For such a minor character, he sure has strongly devoted female fanbase.
- Nice Guy
- Nose Bleed: Gets these from Naruto's perverted jutsus, and Naruto nicknames him this at one point.
- Not So Different: He realizes that he and Naruto had very similar childhoods, and he thus is the first person to acknowledge him.
- Papa Wolf: To most of his students, but especially towards Naruto.
- Parental Abandonment: Both his parents were killed by the Nine-Tailed Fox.
- Parental Substitute: Naruto suggests that being with him is like having a father.
- So Proud of You: To Naruto on numerous occasions as he grows and matures throughout the series, but especially after Jiraiya's death and Pain's invasion of Konoha.
- Team Mom and Team Dad: More the first than the latter, though.
- Tsundere: Pegged as a Type B in fandom.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Iruka like Naruto enjoys ramen as his favorite food with Ichiraku Ramen being his premier choice.
- You Shall Not Pass: To Naruto himself when he tries to leave the island and join the war. Naruto shrug it off, anyway
"Someone told me there's no shortcut on the path of a ninja!"
Grandson of the Third Hokage, nephew of Asuma; first introduced early in the series (second anime episode) as an 8-year-old privately tutored in ninja arts by self-described elite teacher Ebisu in this appearance; later on, he's a regular Academy student. His goal is to become Hokage — after
Naruto, whom he sees as a role model (addressing him as Naruto-niichan
). Usually appears with friends Udon (who has an udon
-like booger hanging from his nose) and self-described "cutest kunoichi in grade school" Moegi.
Generally, an appearance of Konohamaru in Part I is an indication you're watching Filler
, he's a genin under Ebisu-sensei along with Udon and Moegi.
"Thank you for letting me be your mother, and for letting Minato be your father. Thank you for being our son. Thank you… Thank you!"
Naruto's Missing Mom
. Originally from the Whirlpool country, she grew up in a time of very many wars before eventually coming to live in Konoha after her country was destroyed. Became Kurama's second jinchuuriki, after receiving it directly from the first one, the First Hokage's wife Mito Uzumaki; Tobi somehow discovered this and extracted Kurama from her, taking advantage of the fact that Kushina had just given birth to Naruto. She dies soon afterwards, but not before taking part in the defense of Konoha by helping Minato to seal the fox (along with some of her own chakra) into their son. Over 16 years after her death, the sealed chakra comes into play when she appears inside Naruto's head to help him defeat Kurama and to explain the details of Kurama's attack, as well as just to finally bond with the son that tragedy prevented her from raising.
- Action Mom: See the trope below this. She even managed to survive having Kurama pulled out of her, albeit only briefly. She even took a freaking claw through the stomach and caught it on the way out to keep it from hitting Naruto.
- Barrier Maiden: Not only was the Kurama's seal made from her chakra, but she was also the former jinchuuriki of Kurama. More exactly, the second one: the first was Mito, member of her clan and the First Hokage's wife..
- Battle Couple: She and Minato definitely count, as they worked together to seal Kurama into Naruto and play the Thanatos Gambit that would take their lives and be so important for their village and their kid.
- Chain Pain/Variable-Length Chain: Her specialty sealing jutsu's where themed around them.
- Force Field: She can generate a powerful barrier ninjutsu with her chains.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She and Minato knew each other as kids, and couldn't have been more than about 14 when they fell in love.
- Fiery Redhead: She beat up all the kids who called her "Tomato," thus earning her new "Red Hot-Blooded Habenero" nickname. She gave her own son a good thwack when he accused her of being Kurama's real form, too.
- Generation Xerox: According to Tsunade, Naruto's personality, love of pranks and tactics come from her. Not to mention her being the former Jinchuuriki of the Kurama.
- Hot-Blooded: It's even part of her nickname.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Naruto got his love of ramen from her, though it is interesting to note that their favorite flavours of ramen differ. Namely Naruto's favorite is Miso Ramen with extra pork while Kushina likes Salt Ramen.
- Verbal Tic: "Dattebane!", to be precise. She does it when flustered or excited, just like him.
- Gray Eyes: Though she doesn't exactly fit the associated personality types.
- Genius Ditz: She often acts ditzy or exactly like Naruto. But she also taught Minato many sealing techniques. The kind for which her country was destroyed because they were so feared.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Minato Namikaze certainly did.
- I Am Not Pretty: Kushina actually apologizes to Naruto for inheriting her face instead of his father's. But Naruto finds her to be a babe.
- Mama Bear: When the Nine-Tails tried to kill baby Naruto, Kushina threw herself in front of the fox so that its giant claw impaled her instead of her son. Keep in mind that she just gave birth and was slowly dying at that point.
- Missing Mom: But part of her personality was set inside the seal...somehow...so happy reunions all around!
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The Red Hot-Blooded Habanero.
- Posthumous Character: After Naruto suppresses the fox, she reveals that she's planning on rejoining Minato, indicating that she truly is dead. And this is confirmed later, as she fades away a while later..
- Punny Name: Uzumaki - Uzu means whirlpool.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Rasputinian Death
- Red-Headed Stepchild: She was bullied when she was young because of her distinctive red hair.
- Red String of Fate: Strands of her red hair are what led Minato to rescue her.
- Rescue Romance: How she and Minato got started.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: And Tobi just had to open it...
- Screaming Birth: More justified than usual. Being a Jinchuuriki resulted in her pregnancy running ten months instead of the usual nine. Not to mention the fact that childbirth weakens the seal, meaning she had to hold the demon in while pushing her kid out.
- Tomboy (in her youth) -> She Is All Grown Up (According to Tsunade, she grew into her looks)
- Trail of Bread Crumbs: When kidnapped, she left behind a trail of her red hair, which is how Minato found her.
- Verbal Tic: "dattebane!"
- Wacky Cravings happened during a short flashback
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wore those when a teenager.
There are several Elders aside from the Hokage who make some of the decisions in Konoha. Although they rarely appear, their decisions direct Konoha and thus their impact is keenly felt. They were the ones who selected the Third's replacement. They were the ones who decided to have Itachi massacre the Uchiha Clan.
Tropes associated with them
Koharu Utatane and Homura Mitokado
Voice for Homura Mitokado: Hikaru Miyata (JP), Taira Kikumoto (young adult, JP), Beau Billingslea
Koharu Utatane is the female. Really
Homura Mitokado is the man.
Both two are former teammates of the 3rd Hokage.
They display examples of:
- Eyes Always Shut: Koharu
- I Was Quite a Looker: You wouldn't know it now, but Koharu was hot in the old days. Not that she's a Gonk now, but...
- Badass Seniors: In a flashback, they contribute in throwing Kurama out of Konoha by force, through the Village Walls, standing in the front Line.
- Utatane is stated to be one of the few people able to put Tsunade in her place when she oversteps her authority.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: During the Battle of Kurama helped to throw by force the Demon out of Konoha.
- Government Conspiracy: Along with Danzo, they are the ones who ordered the Uchiha Massacre. Confirmed by Danzo.
- Reality Warper: Koharu in Filler. She shows the ability to alter matter to remove explosive tags.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: So far they have not shown any resentment for Naruto, Tsunade or even the Uchihas and seem to only care for the well being of Konoha... which means they can choose very harsh and brutal options, like wanting to put on a leash Naruto (Tsunade refused) or instigating the Uchiha Massacre to avoid a civil war. They later wanted to protect Naruto from Akatsuki by leaving him in a secret place. Not because they cared for him as a person, but to be sure the sole Tailed-Beast Host of the Leaf wouldn't be abducted.
""To be a shinobi is to sacrifice oneself. Closing your eyes to the sunlight, distinguishing yourself in the shadows. That is the true form of ninja."
Voiced By: Hiroshi Ito
(JP), William Frederick Knight (EN)
A war hawk
. Ran opposite Sarutobi for the position of Third Hokage, but lost. Runs ANBU's Root Division, a secret-police-type division of Konoha's military which is zealously loyal to the village (or more accurately, zealously loyal to Danzo personally
). (According to Danzo, Root is the unseen support on which the Leaf depends — get it?)
May end up being quite a bit more important to the plot than his infrequent appearances would suggest (he didn't even appear until Shippuden
), as he's evidently been pulling strings behind the scenes for quite some time. He believes Konoha should rule by force, and resents the more diplomatic stances taken by the Third Hokage and his successors, which he believes softens the village's ninja and makes them weak.
As the sheer amount of whited out text under this one may indicate, he's a spoiler incarnate, so read at your own risk.It turns out that he wanted the position of Third Hokage so bad, that he secretly aligned himself with Hanzo of the Rain Village. After Pains' invasion is thwarted, he lambasts the citizens of Konoha, stating that the interconnected Hokages made the village weak. As a result, he is named the acting Sixth Hokage in Tsunade's absence by the daimyo, but currently lacks the approval of the jonins needed to get the position permanently. He expects that if he can make the Kage Summit go well, they would have no choice but to give him full approval. He goes off to the summit with his bodyguards. He almost managed to get appointed leader of the alliance against Akatsuki on Mifune's advisement, but Ao interrupts, stating that Danzo's eye allows him a Mind Control dojutsu that is being used to influence Mifune's decision. He admits to it, claiming that he's fulfilling a need for the shinobi to unify for protection, then makes a veiled threat towards Ao. When Sasuke invades the meeting room, he takes it as an opportunity for his party to leave with Ao in pursuit.Madara manages to track him down, and after a brief battle with the bodyguards, Madara disposes of them and brings out Sasuke to fight him, at which point Danzo reveals what's really under his bandages- his "collection" of Sharingan. Despite Danzo's liberal use of the forbidden reality-warping jutsu Izanagi, he loses the battle, and in his dying moments activates a suicide technique in a final but failed attempt to kill both Sasuke and Madara.It's further revealed that his obsession with ninja's being strong stems from a inferiority complex that's been with him since before Hiruzen was selected as the 3rd Hokage and from his personal belief that a ninja should be prepared to sacrifice himself for the greater good — a belief he follows to the letter. It's also revealed that his rivalry with Sarutobi was less bitter than it seems to be.
- Aggressive Negotiations: Plans to sorta do this at the Kage Summit, using Shisui Uchiha's eye.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Almost became Hokage, after all.
- Badass Grandpa
- Badass Transplant
- Big Bad Ensemble: With Akatsuki and Orochimaru for Shippuden.
- Blow You Away: He knows several wind techniques, all of which involve Razor Wind or vacuum.
- Brainwashing for the Greater Good: One of the foundations of Root.
- Body Horror: It starts innocently enough - when Ao scans him with the Byakugan, we're told he's not only taken Shishui's eye, but his arm. Observe closely, and you can clearly see that Danzo has a second face hidden on his arm. And that's merely the beginning ; his entire arm is dotted with Sharingan he's taken from dead Uchiha.
- The Chessmaster
- The Corrupter: Indirect example as his actions are responsible for the Face-Heel Turn and fall of Sasuke, Itachi, Nagato, and Konan. While Hanzo was the culprit of the prime event regarding the later two, Danzo was an accomplice in the betrayal that led to said event, which makes him indirectly responsible. More directly, to all the members of ROOT, whose Training from Hell includes repeatedly being forced to battle one another to the death to kill their emotions. He would probably deny that any of this was corruption, though- in his mind, this is how ninja are supposed to be.
- And with chapter 583, we can now add Kabuto to that list.
- Determinator: Never gave up his dream of becoming Hokage. Utterly refuses to let go after his defeat at Sasuke's hands. Even badly wounded and with an arm lost, he tried to kill the latter and Madara. One feels a bit sorry when his desperation technique doesn't even manage to hurt them.
- Doomed Moral Victor: His attempt to kill Sasuke and Tobi while he's dying fails, but he still destroys Shisui's eye, which pisses Tobi off.
- Eye Always Shut: Most of the time anyway.
- Eyepatch of Power: A bunch of bandages conceal a Sharingan, which he got from Shisui Uchiha.
- Fan Nickname: Probably within minutes of scans of chapter 475 hitting the Internet, Danzo's right arm was nicknamed "the Sharingarm".
- First Name Basis: Was the only character in-series to be this with Hiruzen Sarutobi, the 3rd Hokage.
- Flanderization: In fanfics, he is usually portrayed as Evil Overlord wannabe just wanting to Take Over the World just because.
- Geometric Magic: He seems very proficient in sealing techniques, including one that paralyzes the person it's on if they try to reveal certain information, and another that simply paralyzes a person as soon as it's activated.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: An X-shaped one on his chin.
- Green Thumb: Which he got as a result of the same Orochimaru experiment tested on Yamato. His doesn't work quite as well, though.
- Handicapped Badass: Seems this at first, with a bandaged eye and arm. Subverted, as he only pretended to be handicapped; both his arm and eye actually work, he just doesn't want to use them unnecessarily.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Danzo had a massive inferiority complex when he was younger, believing himself to be weak because he couldn't quite bring himself to be the first to volunteer to do potentialy life threatening tasks, and therefore in his eyes unable to live up to his father's example, or his own personal creed about self-sacrifice.
- Hour of Power: Each eye on his arm lets him use Izanagi for one minute. After that the eye goes blind instantly and closes forever.
- Human Resources: Has a "collection" of Sharingans, as well as Uchiha Shisui's right arm to keep them in, and views Sasuke and Madara as prospective additions to same.
- Hypocrite: He expects ninjas to be self-sacrificing while he himself is too cowardly to do so himself and has never perform any self-sacrifice in his entire life (he merely pretends to be handicapped). It should be noted he hates himself for this and wishes he had the courage to give his life for his village. He does...in the Taking You with Me sense that he was going to die anyway, at least.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Though not quite as bishonen as some of the others, in a flashback he's revealed to have been quite good looking in his younger years.
- It's All About Me: If it helps him to be a Hokage, letting Konoha's population getting massacred is a-OK.
- It's slightly more complicated than that. He tries to do whats best for Konoha at all times, but thinks his leadership is essential to the village's survival. In his mind, gaining political power is merely a step in his plans which will end with Konoha being better off in the long run.
- The Law of Diminishing Defensive Effort: An alternative take. Since he can revive himself thanks to Izanagi, Danzo doesn't bother with tricks or dodging moves for most of his fight against Sasuke. It almost looks like his strategy was simply "make him believe you're dead to catch him". It doesn't end well.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Danzo has this written all over him. When first introduced he was well past his prime (being about the same age as the Third Hokage was)- with one eye, a missing arm and a walking cane. Cut to the Kage Summit arc where it is revealed that he's got a friggin' Sharingan and effortlessly wipes out a unit of mooks that attacks him, sheathing his sword in one of their heads to free up his hand so he can use jutsu. Later at the meeting we find out he has Mind Control powers, and then that he's not missing an arm, he just has an arm full of Sharingan eyes that allows him to shamelessly respawn as if the Naruto universe were some multiplayer first person shooter. Huh.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: For all the critics of his actions and results, is clear that he deeply loved and wanted what was best for Konoha. Subverted in a sense- since he is one of the Elders and is perhaps the only guy in the entire village who actually preaches or believes this, it is he who decides what is Right and Wrong.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Acts he has committed in the past are responsible for the fall of Pain, Konan, Itachi and Sasuke as well as being indirectly responsible for Kabuto's fall into darkness.
- No Ontological Inertia: The seal he put on each member of Root disappears when he dies.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Though he's not really goofy looking like Lee or the Tsuchikage, his face is still drawn in an incredibly different fashion than most other characters.
- Not So Different: His belief that a ninja should protect his village at all costs, his dream of becoming Hokage, and having to do things the hard way as opposed to being naturally gifted, makes for some eerie parallels between him and Naruto if one thinks about it.
- The Only One: He believes he's the only person who can change the world for the better. Someone apparently forgot to tell him he was in a shonen series.
- Poisonous Friend: He believed himself to be this to Hiruzen, using Root "in the Shadows" to protect Konoha (and maybe Hiruzen). At all costs. If he was right is a matter of arguing
- Power Incontinence: When he's on the brink of death he loses control of his Wood Release power, and has to rip off his arm before it engulfs him.
- Power Parasite: He merged ten Sharingans into his arm, including Shisui's Sharingan, which has the Mangekyo Sharingan and the famous illusions that Shishui gained from it. The arm itself belonged to Shisui, as well, and Danzo's managed to obtain Senju DNA, thereby granting access to Izanagi for himself. He uses them in conjunction when he fights Sasuke.
- Reality Warper: A partial form of this. He can use the technique "Izanagi" which evidently allows the user to remove the boundaries between reality and illusion, allowing the user to reinforce his vision of reality on himself. In doing so, the user can take any injury, even death, and deem it an illusion, but it can render user's attack as reality.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Believed that he and Sarutobi were this, saying that Sarutobi represented the leaves that grow in the sun while he himself represented the roots within the dark.
- Remember the New Guy: Shows up after the Time Skip. Subverted in that the younger characters really don't know who he is- the main continuity issue is where the hell he was when Orochimaru attacked the village, but that could be Hand Waveed without too much difficulty, given how much he prefers to operate in the shadows. He could even simply have been elsewhere at the time. He actually allied himself with Orochimaru, so it makes sense thathe would get the hell out of there.
- The Rival: To Sarutobi, who Danzo felt was better than he was, and always tried to surpass him, though it didn't stop him from respecting Sarutobi deep down (he was even on a First Name Basis with Sarutobi which says a lot).
- Rival Turned Well Intentioned Extremist: Danzo used to be Sarutobi's rival, but also respected him. However, as he grew older, their rivalry became much more bitter over time, at least on Danzo's end.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Sasuke throughout their fight. Falls on deaf ears.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: His entire life can be seen as this. None of his plans go as planned: 1)he didn't become Hokage 2)his plan to use Hanzo leads to the creation of Pain 3)offing the Uchiha clan ends up weakening the village, exiling one of its most promising shinobi and his final demise. His position as acting Hokage lasted less than a week and managed to antagonize the entire Ninja World and his Heroic Sacrifice was noted as worthless by his enemies.
- The Starscream: Implied to have had a hand in Orochimaru's invasion of Konoha so he could seize the position of Hokage for himself. Left the Hidden Leaf to its destruction in Pain's invasion to seize the position after the ashes. Allied with Hanzo in order to get the Hokage position (though how he intended to use this alliance remain extremely blurry).
- The Stoic: "Emotions generate hatred and hatred breeds conflict."
- Not So Stoic: When it's suggested Kakashi be appointed Sixth Hokage ahead of him he immediately flies into a rant about how the Third Hokage's teaching have left the village weak and lead to all its trouble. In spite of his own beliefs, this one display of emotion was what finally got him the position he had been seeking for years.
- That or him finally being in a position to mind-woogie the Fire Daimyo with his implanted eye without being noticed.
- Taking You with Me: Does a last-ditch attempt of this on Sasuke and Madara before he dies, to no effect.
- Though to be fair he does at least succeed in preventing Madara from getting Shisui's eye, so it wasn't a complete waste.
- Tomato Surprise
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: Subverted, as he would certainly like to make major changes (especially involving Naruto), but he knows this would make him unpopular (and make him lose his position), so avoids making decisions that might prove unpopular.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: He legitimately wants to bring peace to the ninja world and believes he can do so if he's in charge. Unfortunately he gives little consideration to ethics and won't hesitate to kill anyone in the way of his goals or otherwise Shoot the Dog.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: A bit more on the extreme side than some, but there's no doubt that he thinks that he has Konoha's best interest at heart.
- Why Won't You Die?: Although he effectively died more or less ten times during his fight against Sasuke. Justified thanks to his Reality Warper powers.
Chunin Exam Proctors
Head of Konoha's Interrogation Department, and very good
at what he does. His name alone is enough to scare people. First appeared as the proctor of the written part of the Chunnin Exam. Since then he shows up whenever Konoha needs to make a prisoner talk.
"Heads up, boys and girls, this is no time to be celebrating! I'll be your next proctor. Anko Mitarashi. You ready for the second test? Good! Then let's go, follow me!"
A spunky, boisterous Action Girl
, Anko is without a doubt best known in the fandom for her Badass Longcoat
(which she wears very little
underneath) and her Dark and Troubled Past
- she was a student of Orochimaru and he abandoned her... but not until AFTER he branded her with a Cursed Seal to try and see if it would kill people that were given it. It did, and she was the only one to survive. Most of her appearances have her eating her Trademark Favorite Food
, which is basically a stick with dumplings on it made from rice paste. She has a Punny Name
, too - both her first and last names are dango toppings.
, she was tasked with tracking the movements of Kabuto. Just as the Fourth Great Ninja War started, she was attacked and defeated by Kabuto
- Action Girl: Lost the two fights she was in (first was Orochimaru and second against Kabuto), but held her own as much as she could against both of her opponents.
- Adaptation Expansion: Her background is explained further in a filler arc, where it's revealed that she wasn't tossed aside by Orochimaru, but that she left on her own.
- Badass Longcoat
- Big Eater: She ate at least 40 sticks of dango in one sitting. Girl loves her dango.
- Boisterous Bruiser: She's outgoing and playful, but somewhat mischievous and rather hyperactive.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She's basically a female Naruto, except more studious - hence why she's an Exam Procter.
- Dangerously Short Skirt
- Dynamic Entry: That's how she first appeared.
- Establishing Character Moment: Interrupted Ibiki Morino's part of the exam by breaking through the window. You can read the quote right at the top of her page; the rest of the class was understandably weirded out.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Pupil-less.
- Flanderization: In fanfics is usually portrayed as a someone who Really Gets Around and will go after Anything That Moves.
- Genki Girl: Ibiki lampshades it when she first appears.
- Hidden Depths: her hobby is conducting Tea Ceremonies.
- The Lad-ette: Very much so, but with a more cocky, boisterous outlook.
- Meaningful Name / Punny Name: Mitarashi and anko are dango toppings. Guess what her favorite food is.
- Ms. Fanservice: One of the most recognizable ones in this series to date.
- Stripperiffic: Yeah, only a miniskirt, longcoat, and wire mesh/chainmail covering from her neck down to her thighs. How her outfit manages to actually conceal anything is a mystery that really could only be explained by genjutsu.
- Vapor Wear: Well, given her outfit, it seems like she's not wearing a bra.
- The Tease: Remember, she did scratch Naruto's face with a knife and licked the blood off his cheek. Also, her outfit is pretty distracting.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Some female fans feel this way about her, as a result.
- Plucky Girl
- Out of Focus: She was used and betrayed by Orochimaru, so you might think she would get her revenge, right? Wrong, Sasuke got to him. Also, she seems like an interesting and dramatic character, so you might think they would explore her a bit more, right? WRONG, she's a side-character, and most of her supposedly genius skills, which made Orochimaru interested in her in first place, are mostly obscured! She recently discovered the Big Bad Hideout, so you might think she can do justice to her fame and defeat Kabutochimaru? WRONG AGAIN! She is captured, bound, and has her Curse Mark power slowly drained by Kabuto.
- Sexy Mentor: Well, she's technically a teacher, and she's sexy. Also, see the following entry and look at the Ms. Fanservice label.
- Snakes Are Sexy: Contrasting nicely with her mentor Orochimaru's evil snake motif.
- Shotacon: There was an instance in Part I where she threw a kunai at Naruto, teleported behind him as his cheek bled, held him close, and asked him while stroking his face, "You tough enough to handle this? You're not afraid are you? Tough guys like you usually leave their blood all over this forest." She then licked the blood from his face. "Spilling that delicious blood that I like so much..." Remember that Anko was 24 years old and Naruto was 12 years old then.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Dango but of course, which even provide the inspiration for her name ("mitarashi" is a dango seasoning).
- The Other Darrin: Anko has had an astounding three voice actresses - Julianne Buescher for her initial appearance, Laura Bailey during the filler arcs and some video games, and Kari Wahlgren in her other video game appearances
- You Taste Delicious: Did this to Naruto once.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Mild example. For reference.◊
The proctor for the preliminaries of the Third Chunin Exam, who is responsible for determining the winners for the fights and ending them when one person is unable to continue. He stumbles upon Kabuto meeting with Baki to discuss the Sand Village participating in the invasion of Konoha, and Baki kills him for it. His lover Yugao finds his katana and swears to avenge him.
When the main match of the Third Exam begins, he's been replaced by fellow jonin Genma Shiranui.
- Handicapped Badass: Implied - he moves with astounding speed to stop Neji from killing Hinata, and he's able to damage Baki's jacket (which mightn't seem impressive, but he was at a disadvantage in the fight). Baki actually praises Hayate's skills and wonders whether all Konoha ninja are this talented.
- He Knows Too Much
- Ill Boy: With Incurable Cough of Death included.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Wields a katana and is said to be skilled at kenjutsu, but loses his only fight. Baki, after all, wielded an air katana!
- Sacrificial Lamb: Pretty much his whole purpose.
Tropes that apply to the team in general:
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: A male example. Inoichi is the blond, Shikaku is the dark-haired one, and Choza is the redhead.
- Cool Old Guy: Though they're not THAT old.
- Generation Xerox: Shikaku looks almost exactly like his son, albeit with more scars and facial hair. Similarly, his relationship with Choza and Inoichi is a copy of the past 14 generations of their three families (and their own children make 16). Inoichi is a genderflipped example; had Ino been a male, he would look like a younger Inoichi; Choza, meanwhile, looks like a larger, more masculine, red-haired version of Choji, albeit with different facial markings and eyes that are nearly always shut.
- Good Parents: All three of them have good relationships with their kids.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Maybe not as much as their sons, but Choza and Shikaku display traits of this. Shikaku might not wear blue, but he's generally calm, fiercely intelligent, a respected and trusted strategist, and a long-range fighter. Choza, meanwhile, is the most physical of the trio (and in the Ninja War arc, he's the only one on the frontlines), fights at close to mid-range, and although he's not as emotional as his son, he has his moments. Not to mention he has the appropriate hair colour.
Voiced By: Hiroshi Yanaka (JP), Jonathan Fahn (EN)
Shikamaru's father and the Jonin Commander of Konoha. During the Ninja War arc, he acts as Tsunade's right-hand man and is in charge of planning and co-ordinating attacks.
Ino's father and a member of the Konoha Interrogation Unit. In the Ninja War arc, he leads the Intelligence Division and acts as one of the main points of communication via his telepathic abilities.
Voiced By: Nobuaki Fukuda (JP), Michael Sorich (EN)
Choji's father and head of the Akimichi clan. During the Ninja War arc, he is placed in the First Division alongside Darui, Tenten, and Hiashi Hyuuga.
The Hyuuga clan
Tropes applying to the Hyuga Clan as a whole:
Voiced By: Eizou Tsuda (JP), John Demita (EN), José Luis Orozco (Latin America)
Hiashi Hyūga (日向ヒアシ, Hyūga Hiashi) is the head of the Hyūga clan. He is also the father of Hinata and Hanabi Hyūga, as well as the older twin brother of the late Hizashi Hyūga, and the paternal uncle of Neji Hyūga. Born as the eldest of the twin sons of the former leader, the ruthless traditions of the clan and a tragedy that happened later would make him very, very
bitter... in the Ninja War arc, he is placed in the First Division alongside Darui, Choza Akimichi and Tenten, and ends up having to fight his brother, who has been brought back as a zombie via Edo Tensei.
Voiced By: Kazuaki Ito (JP), John Demita (EN), José Luis Orozco (Latin America)
Twin younger brother of Hiashi, and a member of the branch house. Very, very
bitter towards his older twin because of that, and presumed to have been sacrificed for Hiashi after a terrible incident. Things weren't so black and white in the end: Hizashi willingly sacrificed himself for his brother, as his way to Screw Destiny. Resurrected by Kabuto via Edo Tensei. Now he's fighting Hiashi himself.
- Abusive Parents: It's revealed in the databook the Hyuuga Elder who he conspired with to be killed in his brother's place was Hiashi and Hizashi's father.
- Cain and Abel: With his twin older brother Hiashi, due to the inner politics of the Hyuuga clan. Subverted later: he was bitter, but deep down still cared.
- Facial Markings: The branch house mark on his forehead. Also a sort-of leash on him, as it can be activated and cause him horrible pain if he's suspected of being rebellious.
- Heroic Sacrifice: What his death truly was, since he willingly died for Hiashi.
- Posthumous Character: Subverted now. Damn it, Kabuto.
- Restraining Bolt: The seal on his forehead.
- Screw Destiny / You Can't Fight Fate: A constant theme for him and Neji. He died willingly to prove the first one, then said the latter when revived and Hiashi replied with the first.
Hinata's younger sister. Other than that, little is known about her. Eventually we learn that her desire to be acknowledged caused her to awaken the legendary second level of Byakugan: the Buddhist Byakugan.
The Uchiha Clan
Tropes that apply to the Uchiha Clan as a whole.
Itachi's best friend and role model, who appeared to have committed suicide when his duties as a shinobi became too much, though the Uchihas suspected that he was murdered by Itachi. Itachi confirms this to Sasuke, revealing that he murdered him to gain the Mangekyo Sharingan. This turns out to have been a half-lie, as Shisui did kill himself, but it was with Itachi's assistance and done specifically so that Itachi could gain the Mangekyo to kill off the clan and prevent war. He himself had an unusually powerful Mangekyo, though who died in order for him to obtain it is unknown. Itachi claims that Naruto has inherited Shisui's will.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Itachi.
- Chekhov's Gunman: His eyes were later used by Itachi and Danzo.
- Exotic Eye Designs: The Sharingan. And his own Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Eye Scream: Danzo stole one of his eyes. He gave the other to Itachi.
- Flash Step: Was said to be a master of the Body Flicker technique.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Killed himself to make sure that Itachi would succeed in killing off their clan and prevent them from starting up another war.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Itachi's last memory of Shisui is him giving advice and entrusting Itachi to keep Konoha safe...with one eye freshly gauged out.◊ What's more, he then calmly pulls out the other one and hands it to him◊.
- Master of Illusion: He's great even by Uchiha standards.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: "Shisui of the Body Flicker" (or "Shisui the Teleporter" in the English dub) does not sound like an easy enemy to face.
- Noodle Incident: We're never actually told how Danzo managed to get his eye, just that it happened shortly before his death.
- Posthumous Character
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Many fans find him very attractive, despite only appearing in two panels.
- Thanatos Gambit: He committed suicide to give Itachi the Mangekyo Sharingan so that he would be strong enough to wipe out the Uchihas and protect Konoha from being thrown into another war. It worked.
- Reverse Mole: Was ordered by the Uchiha clan to keep tabs on Itachi when he began to act strangely, but he was on Itachi and the Village's side, and attempted to prevent the coup via genjutsu, but had one of his eyes stolen by Danzo. Ultimately he had Itachi help him commit suicide, so that way he could gain the Mangekyo Sharingan to aid him in his mission.
- Worthy Opponent: May have been this to Ao, who distinctly remembers his unique chakra "color" despite his being dead for more than eight years.
Fugaku and Mikoto Uchiha
- Broken Pedestal
- The Chains of Commanding: Fugaku's worn-looking face suggests that leadership of the Uchiha was very stressful business, which would explain why he didn't begrudge Itachi when the latter turned on them. His eldest son inherited these characteristics from his father, which probably attests to the latter becoming a Broken Ace later in life.
- Childhood Friends: Mikoto was apparently tight with Kushina Uzumaki in their youth, and they were best friends.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Played with, as their deaths were ordered because of their planned hostile takeover of the Leaf Village.
- Face Death with Dignity
- Generation Xerox: Like their mothers, Naruto and Sasuke became best friends (though their relationship was more Vitriolic Best Buds than not).
- Parental Favoritism: Fugaku preferred Itachi, Mikoto favored Sasuke. Turns out, Fugaku loved Sasuke enough that his last request was that Itachi take care of him. Conversely, Mikoto's last words were a gentle reassurance to Itachi that they both still loved him and fully understood his decision.
- Posthumous Character
- Silk Hiding Steel and Yamato Nadeshiko: Mikoto was a jounin, but it's hard to tell from her disposition.
- So Proud of You: Their final words to their son Itachi before he kills them.
- Treachery Cover Up: They were executed as traitors by Itachi's hands to prevent a Civil War and in the name of peace and the Leaf Village.
Kakashi's team member from his childhood, Obito Uchiha was the Black Sheep
of the Uchiha clan with a reputation for being perpetually late and untalented. His death caused Rin to become Tobi.
- Aborted Declaration of Love: Obito decides against telling Rin that he is in love with her before he died.
- Always Save the Girl
- Always Someone Better: A flashback shows Kakashi was this for him...over and over and over...
- Black Sheep: To his clan.
- White Sheep: All in all, he was one of the most decent, caring, and noble members of the named Uchiha revealed in the series, especially when you find out the truth about the massacre.
- Declaration of Protection: Doesn't even need to say it. He shows it for both of his teammates, especially with regards to his Heroic Sacrifice.
- Freudian Trio: He was The Id on Team Minato.
- Goggles Do Something: They protect your eyes.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: A rare vertical example, as the entire right side of his body was smashed by the boulder.
- Heroic Sacrifice: By saving Kakashi from being crushed by a falling boulder.
- Hot-Blooded: Obito is a lot like Naruto, even in appearance.
- Idiot Hero
- Major Injury Underreaction: While dying, he's extremely calm for having half his body crushed under a giant rock.
- Playing with Fire
- Posthumous Character
- Red Herring: Hinted to be Tobi, but he wasn't. In reality, Tobi was Rin.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: His. Biggest. Trait.
- Taking the Bullet: Kakashi did this for Obito, which got his eye cut out; Obito returned the favor, resulting in his death.
One of the original founders of the Uchiha Clan. Before the beginning of the series, during the "Clan wars", he was The Ace
of the Uchiha Clan, bitter enemies of the Senju Clan. Both clans were used as main weapons by the Daimyos of the era. It got to the point that he had to take/ask for his brother's eyes to be able to face Hashirama Senju, the greatest [[Ninja shinobi
of his era]]. In the end they decided to unite the two Clans into a single Village, creating the tradition "One Nation, one Village" and while at first all was good, he feared that the Senju would subjugate the Uchiha as its servant. This belief was poorly received by his Clan. They eventually sold him out, so that he could not break the peace between Clans and cast him out of the Uchiha Clan forever.
He returned years later commanding the Kyuubi with thirst for vengeance but was defeated by the First Hokage
and his wife Mito Uzumaki, who became the first Jinchuriki. Madara survived and disappeared for several decades. Then he rescued Obito Uchiha from and later died leaving him to carry on his plan.After being resurrected with Edo Tensei, he proceeds to Curb-Stomp Battle the Kages, and even manages to escape Edo Tensei's deactivation. He decides to stop playing around, and after finishing the curb stomping off panel, he crashes Obito's fight with Naruto, Kakashi, Guy, and B.
- Always Second Best: To the First Hokage, Yugi Motou. But because him and Yugi are on a completely different level when compared to others he brags about being second best!
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Up to Eleven. Since being revived, he's done nothing but go on and on about how weak his opponents are compared to himself as well as the 1st. Though, to be fair, he is kind of kicking their asses.
- Attack Reflector: His paper fan can be used to bounce back attacks, even ungodly powerful ones.
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: When he led the Kaiba, and was the 2nd strongest shinobi in the First Great Ninja War after Yugi.
- Back from the Dead: Along with many of the deceased seen in the story. And then broke free of Kabuto's jutsu, giving Konoha yet another Uchiha headache to deal with.
- Badass: He is quite possibly the most powerful shinobi ever, barring the Sage, bordering on being an in-universe Memetic Badass. He combines several already powerful techniques (EMS, Rinnegan, Mokuton, Biju control, and four-armed, colossal Susanoo); even his name alone, used by Tobi, was enough to toss the world into panic. He considers anything less than all five Kages to be an "inadequate challenge", and that's before revealing he wasn't fighting seriously!
- He suggests that the only one who could stop him is the First Hokage, who is no longer alive. He doesn't bother reminding everyone that since he now has the Rinnegan and Hashirama's powers as well as now being an invincible zombie, even the First might not be able to stop him.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: Everything in the series pointed to Seto as the Big Bad, until it's revealed that he was the unidentified corpse that was revived by Kabuto. The revived body however seems to acknowledge Tobi and seems to be aggravated their plan has interference in the form of Kabuto, so he might actually become the Big Bad after all.
- Better Than New: Kabuto comments that he used Edo Tensei to make him even stronger than when he was in his prime.
- Bigger Bad: Seto is responsible for the Kaiba Clan's hatred going completely haywire to the point of Konoha's paranoia. If more is revealed about which of Tobi's actions were really Seto's doing, he could become this even more. Given that he is on his way to address Tobi directly, he may even become the True Final Boss and / or the Big Bad once more.
- Body Horror: He's got the First Hokage's face on his chest!
- Bond Villain Stupidity: His utter refusal to kill any of the Kages.
- Well, before he actually decided to rape them like they were Genin. No, he actually raped them. And Gaara is going to have his kid.
- Came Back Strong: A villainous example. He was resurrected in a younger form, close to the prime of his life, but he kept the modifications that he made to his body (Mokuton, Yugi's DNA, and the Rinnegan!) after he faked his death at the Valley of the End. Combined with the fact that he now has infinite energy reserves and an immortal body, he can now spam his Dangerous Forbidden Techniques without worrying about it affecting his stamina or lifespan.
- Cassandra Truth: "The Motou will subjugate the Kaiba like a lowly servant". Guess what happened?
- Possibly overlaps with Self-Fulfilling Prophecy, given the implication that Seto's own betrayal may be what ultimately caused the rift that led to the Uchiha's subjugation to begin with.
- Colony Drop: Attempted to throw a hug piece of land onto the Shinobi Army, but Onoki stopped it just in time
- Combat Compliment: Seems to love issuing these.
- The Corrupter / Evil Mentor: It's pretty much believable that rescuing Rin and bringing her back to shape into the Tobi we all loathe could be traced to him.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Toys around with all 5 kage AT ONCE, outsmarting them time after time. They only manage to last a while because Seto, by his own admission, felt no need to get serious. The end to the battle happens off panel, though we are shown what's left of the kage after Seto finished with them. Needless to say, it speaks for itself.
- Dead All Along
- Though it's hinted that he lived MUCH longer than was previously believed. Long enough to know who Nagato was at least.
- Hell, he lived long enough to know who Rin AKA Tobi was, and SAVED HER from the pineapple.
- The Dragon: With Nagato sealed away Itachi turned sides, and Mu mere moments from being defeated, Kabuto brings him out as a trump card.
- Dragon-in-Chief: In the sense that he knew the hand signs to perform the Edo Tensei jutsu and, though Kabuto was defeated before finding this out, this meant that he could take control of his body at anytime he chose, and could even refuse to be un-summoned. In other words, he only let Kabuto think he was his Dragon.
- The Dreaded: Even decades after his death, his name alone is enough to make all the great villages ally against you. Tobi, aka Rin, takes advantage of this and pretty much goads the entire world into a war against him.
- Evil Counterpart: One might examine Seto's character and find he is this to Itachi. Both were born into their clans as prodigies, both were in constant competition with their brothers and both were torn between their loyalties to their clan and their village. Their main difference is in their ideologies; both are extreme, but also polar opposites; Seto is a Blood Knight who believes war is inevitable, and Itachi is a Knight Templar who sought to avert war at any cost.
- They also differed in the choice they made. Seto chose the clan, Itachi chose the village. However, had Seto chosen differently, then Itachi wouldn't have had to make his choice and the clan would probably still be intact.
- Evil Gloating: Constantly.
- Evil Mentor: To Tobi/Rin.
- Evil Old Folks: When he was alive. Just look at him!◊
- Exotic Eye Designs: His Mangekyo Sharingan and Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan.
- Genius Bruiser
- The Gift: Was born with exceptional chakra even by the standards of the battle-oriented and highly gifted Uchiha Clan. Seto was the first to unlock the Mangekyo Sharingan and the only one (until Sasuke obtained it) to have the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Green Thumb: Possesses the Mokuton via Kabuto's "modifications."
- Hannibal Lecture: Gives one to Rin in Chapter 602.
- Hero Killer: Defeats all five Kages.
- Humanoid Abomination: Well, when you have the face of the First Hokage as a left chest, yeah... you met the requirements for this trope.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Every time the Kages gain an advantage over him, Seto finds a way to No Sell it.
- Instant Armor: Susanoo
- Invincible Villain: Word of God confirms this. He is currently literally this; not only is he a nigh-unkillable Edo zombie who happens to be perhaps the strongest ninja on the field, he actually hijacked the Edo Tensei itself so neither Kabuto nor anyone else is controlling him anymore, or can.
- It's All About Me: After his clan betrayed him.
- Jerk Ass: Even before his Heel-Face Turn, not even Kurama could stand him. Seto Kaiba is pretty much the biggest dickhead in the entire series, and that says a lot.
- Just Toying with Them: As of his resurrection, he is easily the second strongest ninja of all time after the Sage. He could easily wipe out the five kage, but just ends up playing with them until his enjoyment is ruined, after which he proceeds to Curb-Stomp Battle them off panel and crash Rin's party.
- Magical Eye: In addition to the Sharingan above he has the Eternal Magenkyou Sharingan. He also bears the Rinnegan and with it the powers of the six paths. They grant the following abilities...
- The Man Behind the Man: To Rin and Nagato.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: He'd have to be, if he agrees with Tobi's Plan. The Plan may very well be his since he did confirm to Kabuto that he and Tobi worked together.
- Shown to have been EXTREMELY nihilistic and cynical in his later years. Rin meets him as a bitter old man who hates pretty much everything.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Rin kept it for him while maintaining his identity.
- Person of Mass Destruction: After his resurrection, explicitly deployed as one. He didn't disappoint, going to 3rd highest bodycount (after the multiplied white Zetsu and Pain) over just two chapters. Some time after that, he used his Susanoo to slice through an entire mountain range, ALONG with the giant meteorites he called down himself.
- Playing with Fire: He created the strongest Fire technique so far without any strain, as a form of greeting.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Of the He-Man Woman Hater type. As if Kishi thought that this guy wasn't enough of an asshole before...
- Pride: Big time. Kaiba in general don't have a reputation of humility, but Seto really takes the cake. When finally deciding to unleash his full Susanoo vs the five Kages, he takes the time to destroy a mountain range for no discernable reason other than showing off. He wasn't even aiming at the Kages.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Tsunade after he finds out she is Yugi's descendant.
- Also gave one to the Kyuubi in a flashback, and a more general one to the current Kages. He pretty much thinks that everyone other than himself and the 1st Hokage sucks. And possibly Naruto, who he found himself vaguely impressed by.
- Red Herring: He is not the Big Bad, But he does know him.
- Bigger Bad: In fact, it's hinted that the current Big Bad is/was his subordinate and that the current Evil Plan was Seto's to begin with.
- The Rival: To Yugi, during the Clan Wars. It went on after the Leaf's fondation, since he competed with (and lost to) him to become the first Hokage.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Was trapped in a small chamber due to having to use the Gedo Mazo as a life support system.
- Sinister Scythe: His weapon of choice, used as a cane in his old age.
- Smug Super: He talks down to his current opponents because he's so far above everyone who's fought so far.
- Sore Loser: Good grief.
- Story Breaker Power: Of the Only the Author Can Save Them Now variety. He has the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan, Rinnegan, and Wood Release powers from the First Hokage. Among his many ridiculously overpowered abilities, he can create clones every bit as powerful as him without the drawback of being One Hit Point Wonders like shadow clones, a Susanoo that is as tall as a skyscraper and can cut a mountain in half, the ability to spam Colony Drops, the ability to absorb pretty much any attack, and once he gets his fan back can reflect pretty much any attack. Oh, and he is currently a zombie bound to no one but himself with limitless chakra and From a Single Cell regeneration, which means the only way he will ever die is if someone can hold him still long enough to seal his soul. Hell, the author has outright admitted he has no weaknesses. To say nothing less than a miracle will stop him is probably an understatement.
- Superpower Lottery: The Rinnegan, Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, Wood release, unlimited chakra and an immortal body that regenerates to be precise. Even his regular fire techniques put most kekkei genkais to shame.
- Straw Misogynist: His biggest reason to think that Tsunade is weak is that she's a woman.
- Straw Nihilist: Guess where Tobi (aka known as Rin) got this attitude.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: His response to the "Will of Fire".
Seto: "You can't defeat power with will."
- Thanatos Gambit: He accounted for his own death. His intent was to have Pain resurrect him, but since Naruto foiled that, he gets brought back as a zombie instead.
- Theres No Kill Like Overkill: Attempting this with the Fourth Battalion. See Colony Drop.
- Trash Talk: Can pretty much always be found belittling his current opponents or pretty much whoever is nearby.
- His current topic of choice is how inferior he feels the current Kages are to him and the 1st Hokage.
- In a flashback he was shown do this to even the nine tails, telling him (more or less) that he's stupid and needs the Kaiba Clan to give him purpose.
- The Undead: Well since he's free of Kabuto's People Puppets jutsu, his current status is this.
- Undying Loyalty: Deconstructed. He was fanatical loyal to the Kaibas, to the point of stealing/asking for his brothers' eyes so he could face Hashirama in their War. This extended to also fanatically fighting for the Uchiha dignity to the point of being banished from his Clan and the Village that he helped create. Needless to say, he didn't take the news well.
- Should be noted that most of this comes from a proven Unreliable Narrator, so it could all be bunk.
- Understatement: Only Seto can under-sell pretty much massacring the five Kage in that cool and bored demeanor of stating things:
Naruto: What happened to all the others!?!
Seto: Who knows. They're probably.....not okay. *cut to shot of the kage all lying in pools of their own blood*
- Walking Spoiler: JESUS CHRIST!
- Walking the Earth: For years after being banished.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: If he's being honest about his plans. Seto claims he wants to create a world where there is only peace and love, and everyone is a winner.
- World's Strongest Man: Considered this during his era alongisde Yugi, though since his resurrection, he has integrated his DNA into his body, making him the one of the most powerful shinobi to walk the earth. To the point that he needs the Five Kages to face him at all.
- Let's face it-not even Nagato or Tobi could possibly hope to trounce the Five Kages with such ease. The man is pretty much the second strongest shinobi of all time, right after the Sage of the Six Paths, who was a Physical God. He's even worse the Sage when it comes to threat level, considering the fact he's pretty much immortal now.
- Worthy Opponent: Considered Hashirama as one.
Seto: Hashirama "Wood Style" Senju... the future First Hokage, the man who stood at the top of the ninja world and the person that I respected most.
- It's to the point where you can consider it Foe Yay, considering how much drones on and on about how everyone except him and Hashirama (and maybe Naruto), sucks.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: Played with. Onoki asks him why didn't he display this much power when he last fought him, he replies with "Which adult would go serious on a child?"
Tsunade's first apprentice and her late fiancé Dan's niece. Travels along with her while trying to curb her gambling habits. After Tsunade becomes Hokage, she serves as her secretary.
, she begins to doubt Tsunade for sending Naruto out on dangerous missions despite Akatsuki's attempts to capture him, but eventually regains faith in her. During the Pain Invasion, she helps those trying to deciminate information from one of Pain's bodies and has her soul removed by Human path Pain, but is later resurrected. Later she is placed in charge of the Logistical Support and Medical Division for the Fourth Great Ninja War
- Back from the Dead
- Breath Weapon: Her poison mist jutsu.
- Children Raise You: Apparently, she does this for Tsunade
- Christmas Cake: In an omake, she drunkenly confesses that she's jealous of Kurenai for having a boyfriend and maybe even husband while she is too busy working for Tsunade to find one for herself. Unfortunately, Tsunade happens to hear it. Harsher in Hindsight when you remember that this omake happens few episodes before said boyfriend dies, and the death had already happened in the manga.
- Combat Medic
- Deadly Doctor: Pulls a scalpel to Kabuto's throat when he threatens Tsunade.
- Nothing Up My Sleeve: She has spring-operated needle launchers hidden up her very long sleeves.
- Senpai Kohai: Sakura considers her a senpai as Tsunade's previous disciple.
Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki
(JP), Michael Reisz (EN), José Gilberto Vilchis (Latin America)
Mizuki is a childhood friend and was a former fellow Ninja Academy instructor of Iruka Umino. He later becomes the first antagonist of the series. At the series' start, he tricked Naruto Uzumaki into stealing Konoha's Scroll of Seals, which contains a number of forbidden jutsu. He convinced Naruto to do it by appearing sympathetic towards him, and told him that it would help him graduate from the Academy, but, in actuality, he despised Naruto. While he intended to steal the scroll from Naruto and to use Naruto as a scapegoat in the meantime, Iruka eventually figured out what he was up to and quickly caught up with Naruto and Mizuki. Realizing that it would be harder to get the scroll from Naruto if he teamed up with Iruka, he decided that he had to get Naruto to not trust Iruka. Mizuki then revealed to Naruto the truth about his past and why the village despised him: that he is the container for the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox.
As Naruto was frozen in shock by this knowledge, Mizuki used this to his advantage by hurling a giant shuriken at the frightened Naruto. Iruka jumped in at the last second to block the shuriken with his own back, wounding him. Later, because of Iruka's kind, caring words and selfless action, Naruto had the courage to use the Multiple Shadow Clone Technique he had learned from the scroll to defeat Mizuki as punishment for harming Iruka, which inevitably greatened Mizuki's hatred for Naruto.
- Adaptation Expansion: They gave him a filler arc in the anime, which was infamous both for Mizuki's tiger transformation and being the first of a long, long, long series of fillers.
- Adaptational Badass: Some fanfics make him stronger.
- Ambition Is Evil
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He seemed kind towards Naruto at first, then drops the act when the Scroll of Seals is in sight.
- Brought Down to Normal: Tsunade saves him after he's defeated, but the damage his body suffered will prevent him from ever being a shinobi again.
- Driven by Envy: Towards Iruka, since he envied the positive attention his childhood friend received.
- Evil Counterpart: To Iruka.
- Hate Sink: For goodness sake, the man's least favorite food is ramen! How much more offensive to Naruto can be possibly be? On a more serious note, Mizuki is one of very few characters who can't really elict any sympathy from the audience, even if he's overshadowed by the more major villains, because his motivations and goals are so petty in comparison. Even Orochimaru had a tragic Start of Darkness that took many years to be completed.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The filler stated he was in cahoots with Orochimaru who gave him a recipe for a potion that would increase his chakra. It did, giving him a humanoid tiger appearance and he bats Naruto and Iruka around a bit. But after the two manage to beat him, the potion turns him into a withered old man as it was highly unstable. Tsunade surmises that Mizuki was just another test subject for Orochimaru meaning he got screwed over twice. What's more he can no longer be a ninja now due to it. And for a real kick in the teeth, Iruka tells Mizuki that Naruto far surpasses him in terms of strength.
- Jerk Ass: The first onscreen one.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Trusting Orochimaru to keep his word ultimately cost him dearly.
- Manipulative Bastard
- The Resenter: Towards Iruka.
- Sequel Episode: His brief reappearance in a filler arc qualifies.
- Starter Villain
- Start of Darkness: It's unclear if he was ever a decent human being (his lover believes he was, he claims he wasn't), but his resentment for Iruka turned any feelings of genuine camaraderie sour until the ambition and malice was all that was left.
- Took a Level in Badass: Until he got a serious Hoist by His Own Petard.
- Undying Loyalty: To Orochimaru at first, truly believing him to be a great ninja (if only for how powerful he was) and refused to believe Naruto when he told him otherwise. It isn't till he's a victim of Oro's manipulations himself that he finally gets the message and by that point it costs him greatly.
- Unwitting Pawn
A seemingly intelligent young female ninja working in Konoha's cryptography unit. She helps Shikamaru, Naruto, and Kakashi figure out the code Jiraiya left before his death. Later, she accompanies Shikamaru and his father Shikaku when Pain attacks, and survives the destruction of Konoha.
Her most notable trait is her huge crush on Shikamaru, who is completely oblivious about it. See Hinata and Naruto.
Fu and Torune
Danzo's bodyguards for the Kage Summit, and the best operatives in Root. Fu is from the Yamanaka clan and Torune is from Aburame clan. Fu attempts to posses Ao's body in an effort to take his Byakugan, but fails thanks to Fifth Mizukage's efforts. Both get worfed by Tobi, but not before Torune infects his right arm, forcing him to sit out on the fight between Sasuke and Danzo. Later on they are unceremoniously killed off as a demonstration of Edo Tensei's preperation rituals.
- And I Must Scream: Fu's variation of the Yamanaka clan's Grand Theft Me invokes this, by placing the target's body in a booby trapped puppet, while Fu gains control of the target's body. When he used this on Ao, he immediately attempted to stab out his eye and when that didn't work, attempted to cut off his head.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Both of them figure out how Tobi's Made Of Air powers work after 3 minutes of fighting him. Tobi even compliments them on it.
- Bee Bee Gun: Torune's bugs differ from the rest of his clan's being that they are nano-sized and capable of destroying target's cells in addition to draining chakra.
- Elite Mooks: They last slightly longer than most examples, but ultimately they are this.
- Informed Ability: Given who they were fighting against, this is slightly justified, but they don't come off as more skilled than any other jounin we've seen.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Fu is a very skilled sensor, though not in the same league as Karin.
- Odd Name Out: Their names don't fit their respective clans' naming patterns. Justified because Root typically assigns a Code Name to their members.
- Poisonous Person: Torune, via his bugs.
- Put on a Bus: Aren't seen after the Danzo fight until the Start of the war arc.
- Touch of Death: Torune's bugs are distributed this way.
- Satellite Character: Aside from being Danzo's gaurds and having unique twists on their respective clan's techniques, they really don't contribute much apart from being fuel for an Edo Tensei demonstration.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Both are introduced with little to no characterization, quickly beaten and then killed off.
Kakashi's team member from his childhood, Rin was a skilled medical ninja. Obito is killed in action saving Kakashi from an enemy Rock Ninja and Rin is presumed deceased although it is not revealed how. Also, Neji reveals that she is Kiba's aunt.
As of chapter 599, it has been revealed that she is Tobi.
- Action Girl: She has her moments. It's most obvious when she becomes Tobi.
- Anime Hair: As Tobi.
- Badass in Distress- Silk Hiding Steel: She doesn't submit and give away vital information when under genjutsu torture and is able to steel herself long enough to perform the eye transplant on Kakashi, but breaks down afterwards when she is forced to leave Obito behind to die alone. She gets even more badass as Tobi.
- Big Bad: As Tobi.
- Body Horror: Heavily injured while trying to reach Obito. The results aren't pretty.
- Brainy Brunette: You have to be pretty smart to be a medic ninja. She goes into full Chessmaster mode as Tobi. However, by that time she has different coloured hair.
- Break the Cutie: Obviously, since she became Tobi.
- Broken Pedestal: Like Obito, Kakashi held her in high regard. Now he finds out that she became the worst criminal ever.
- Chekhov's Gunman: At first she just seems like an unremarkable girl from Kakashi's backstory. Then it turns out that she is Tobi.
- Crossdresser: Necessary to impersonate Madara Uchiha.
- Dark Action Girl: As Tobi.
- Dark Chick: As Tobi. It's funny, because Tobi was essentially The Chick of the Akatsuki.
- Despair Event Horizon: Obito's death and the terrors of war were this to her.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Her teammate died, and she decided to destroy the ninja world.
- Distressed Damsel: She is taken captive by a Stealth Expert Rock ninja, prompting the plot of the gaiden.
- Evil Former Friend
- Eye Scream: Rips out her own eye so she can replace it with Obito's eye.
- Face-Heel Turn: From a kind-hearted medic to Tobi.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Even though she claims she is "No One".
- Facial Markings
- Freudian Trio: She was The Ego on Team Minato.
- Heroic Willpower: She is able to resist giving away vital information while under an enemy genjutsu.
- Intangible Man: She becomes this by using the Kamui Technique.
- Love Makes You Crazy: After learning that Obito loved her, she goes nuts and becomes Tobi.
- Love Makes You Evil: She wants to destroy the world because of Obito's death.
- Love Triangle: Obito was in love with Rin, who had feelings for Kakashi.
- The Medic: She was extremely skilled for her age, being able to preform a complex eye transplant with minimal tools at thirteen.
- Mind Rape: Danzo did this to her. It was one of the reasons she became crazy enough to turn into Tobi.
- Never Found the Body
- Nice Girl: Mediates Kakashi and Obito's arguments without taking sides, despite her feelings for Kakashi. But she's not so nice as Tobi.
- Not-So-Small Role: She found out about Obito loving her. Everything went straight to hell.
- Oblivious to Love: She was completely unaware about Obito's feelings for her.
- Posthumous Character: Up until Chapter 599, where she is revealed as Tobi.
- Protectorate: To Obito and Kakashi. Not anymore.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Might be the case - she appears to have died not too long after Obito, which would have largely rendered his and Kakashi's rescue of her (and Obito's Heroic Sacrifice) pointless, barring Kakashi's acquisition of the Sharingan Eye. Until you learn that she became Tobi, meaning that her kidnapping basically acts as a catalyst for the series.
- Super Strength: Destroys the boulder Obito is trapped under. However, by that time he's already dead. She still gets his eye.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Impersonates Madara Uchiha and does a damn good job doing it.
- Took a Level in Badass: As Tobi
- Took a Level in Jerkass: An even bigger one to become Tobi. She's even worse than Orochimaru.
- Walking Spoiler: All these spoiler tags are a necessity when the peaceful love interest type girl turns into the Chessmaster Big Bad.
- We Can Rebuild Him: After Danzo gives her many injuries while she tries to reach Obito, Madara fixes her up with Zetsu.
Voiced By: Ena Shimokawa (JP)
The First Hokage’s wife, and grandmother of Nawaki and Tsunade. She was well-known as a sealing techniques specialist, which later helped her lock the nine-tailed fox inside her own body and made her his first jinchuuriki.
The ANBU are Elite Mooks
that take orders directly from the Kage, performing special high-level missions, such as assassinations and torture.
A member of Root whom Sai looked up to as an older brother. He was killed when Danzo forced the two of them to fight to the death. Or not. Itachi accidentally killed him during the Uchiha Massacre, and framed Sai to cover things up.
Later in the manga, Kabuto revives him as part of his zombie army. Shin gets a Sharingan implanted in his forehead, and it turns into a Rinnegan immediately.