We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Characters: Totally Canon Naruto-Akatsuki
The Akatsuki ("sunrise" or "daybreak" note
) is a criminal organization consisting of no more than ten S-ranked
criminal ninja. (Orochimaru was once a member, but defected before the series started. He was never replaced, so the organization has nine members for the series proper.) They all seem to have their own agendas, but the primary group's goal is to Take Over the World
by seeking the nine Tailed Beasts Or is it? Turns out the true purpose of collecting the Tailed Beasts is so that Pain can make a Fantastic Nuke...Or is it? Turns out that the REALLY true purpose of collecting the Tailed Beasts is so that Tobi can use a genjutsu on the entire world. OR IS I...yeah we'll stop now
. They work in pairs, with each partner's abilities and temperment complementing the other's. Their signature costume is a dark robe adorned with stylized red clouds, as well as broad-brimmed hats that they discard when discovered. They also wear their original shinobi headbands, but with a deep scratch across the emblem.
They mostly appear in Shippuden
— only Itachi, Kisame, and Zetsu appeared in the original series
at all while the rest appear in silhouettes, and in Zetsu's case it was merely a cameo. They become more active in the second series as their plan to capture and seal the Tailed Beasts begins to move forward in earnest.Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
The organization as a whole provide examples of...
- Badass: Required for membership.
- Battle Strip: Once any of them come to their fight's climax, they remove their robe, willfully or from Clothing Damage. Every single Akatsuki member to do so has died, save for Konan, who died without stripping (for some odd reason).
- Back from the Dead : The revived akatsuki members: Deidara, Sasori, Kakuzu, Itachi, and Nagato/Pain.
- Big Bad: Of Part II and the main antagonistic force of the entire series.
- Bigger Bad: Of Part I.
- Also they have a Bigger Bad in Madara, the real leader of the group is working for him/
- Lowered Monster Difficulty: Deidara, Sasori and Kakuzu.
"I'm no one. I don't want to be anyone, all I care about is completing the Moon's Eye plan."
Click here to see him during the Fourth Great Shinobi War arc.
The leader of Akatsuki and main antagonist of the series.Prior to the start of the series, Tobi claims to have masterminded several key events, several of which were done by the real Madara: bestowing the Rinnegan to Nagato; pushing for Yahiko to found the Akatsuki; and taking control of Yagura, the Fourth Mizukage and jinchuriki of the Three-Tailed Beast. Twelve years before the start of the series Tobi attacked Konoha and unleashed the Nine-Tailed Fox from its jinchuriki, Kushina Uzumaki, indirectly causing her death and that of her husband Minato Namikaze. Eight years later he assisted Itachi in slaughtering the Uchiha clan, and at some point met with Danzo.
Voiced by: Wataru Takagi
(JP, goofy Tobi), Naoya Uchida
(JP, serious Tobi), Michael Yurchak (EN, goofy Tobi), Neil Kaplan (EN, serious Tobi), Alex Saudinós (Spain), Nolan North
(EN, serious Tobi, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
In the present, Tobi was introduced as Zetsu's underling and a replacement partner for Deidara after Sasori's death. He was a zany comic relief Joke Character
, being constantly beaten up by Deidara, but possessed intangibility
and constantly wore an orange, spiral-patterned mask
. He was seemingly killed when Deidara committed suicide, but came Back from the Dead claiming to be Madara Uchiha. He subsequently dropped the goofy facade and revealed Itachi's true motives to Sasuke, further driving him down the path of revenge. He enlisted Taka as Akatsuki associates, and revealed the existence of the Sage of the Six Paths to Naruto before declaring war on the entire Ninja World. To this end, he created an army of White Zetsus, used Hashirama's DNA to create his version of Izanagi, reluctantly allied himself with Kabuto, killed Konan in a fight, stole the Rinnegan, revived the Jinchuriki to serve as his Six Paths of Pain, and is attempting to resurrect the Ten Tailed Beast in order to become its jinchuriki and take over the world by hypnotizing everyone. At present, he's currently in a fight against Bee, Kakashi, Gai and Naruto
In addition, as Kabuto indirectly revealed, Tobi is not the real Madara
. Chapter 599 has revealed that he is, in fact, a she, with that she being Rin Inuzuka
Tobi is also the main antagonist of Naruto Shippuden Movie 6.
Zetsu is a strange plant-like being created from the First Hokage's DNA
that serves as Akatsuiki's spy, lookout, and corpse disposal
. He possesses Literal Split Personalities
that talk to each other, and was the only Akatsuki member who is never shown with a partner, because he can be his own partner. He can perfectly blend into the background (sometimes by use of a Venus flytrap thing). He is capable of recording events, such as Naruto and Sasuke's fight at the Valley of the End and Sasuke and Itachi's final battle
, for others to view.Zetsu knows Tobi's identity and status as the true leader of Akatsuki, and thus works closely with him. He showed ability to split his two sides apart, and had his white side lead Sasuke to the Kage summit while the black side stayed behind with Tobi. The white half interrupted meeting and revealed that Sasuke was in the building, after which the Raikage strangled him until he lost consciousness
.White Zetsu managed to escape the summit and healed the wounds Sasuke had received in his battles with Danzo, Kakashi and Naruto. Both halves appeared to be looking for Kisame's dead body, only to reveal that the body was just a White Zetsu clone, which was created so Kisame could infiltrate Kumogakure. During the Fourth Great Shinobi World War, Zetsu is the main source of Tobi's army. It is eventually discovered by Sakura that White Zetsu was created using the 1st Hokage's DNA. Black Zetsu was defeated by the Kages while attempting to assassinate the daimyo, while White Zetsu was killed by Sasuke Uchiha in order to test out his Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan.
leader of Akatsuki, Pain possesses the Rinnegan, the predecessor to the Sharingan, which allows the user to use all six elements and learn any jutsu. Orphaned by the Land of Rain's civil war, Nagato
was raised by Jiraiya, who believed him to be the prophecized Chosen One
, alongside his friends Konan and Yahiko
, with whom he wuld later found the Akatsuki
. When Hanzo, the leader of the Hidden Rain village, and Danzo, set a trap, Yahiko was killed and in his rage Nagato summoned the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path, crippling himself in the process
. Believing his suffering had caused him to become enlightened and his power caused him to become a god
took on the alias of Pain and outfitted six corpses, including Yahiko's
, with chakra receivers and used them to take over the Hidden Rain village. Pain wanted to use the Tailed Beasts to create a weapon of mass destruction which can be used to put an end to war
. Each of his six (actually seven)
different bodies possesses a different skill, and can't be defeated unless all of them are killed at once. The bodies are all ninja Jiraiya fought as he wandered the earth. His first physical appearance has him engaging his old master in battle in the Hidden Rain Village until Jiraiya killed one of his bodies and sent it back to Konoha (along with a toad bearing the message "The real one isn't there"), but he was eventually overwhelmed and killed.He quickly replaced the missing body with a new one, and arrived in Konoha in the hopes of capturing Naruto. After his bodies engage - and in some cases, are defeated by - Konoha's villagers, he rounds them all up and uses Shinra Tensei, an ability which nukes the city. He fights the newly-empowered Naruto in a long drawn out battle that bumped the HSQ up a few notches. Finally, Nagato is defeated and after accepting Naruto's ideals about peace, uses a jutsu to revive many of the Konoha ninja he killed, dying in the process. However, Kabuto resurrects him later with Edo Tensei and pairs him with a similarly resurrected Itachi, who helps him move around. They engage Naruto and Bee, where it is revealed that he can use all of the Six Paths' jutsu without the bodies, and nearly kills the pair until a liberated Itachi intervenes and seals him with Susano'o. He is eventually revealed to be a descendant of the Uzumaki clan, just like Naruto.
- A God Am I: And he has the power to back it up.
- Affably Evil
- All Your Powers Combined: Except, Nagato's palette is, for the most part, much more powerful than the originals, and then some! Let's count the ways!
- Itachi: Utilizes a doujutsu inspired by an Asian religion, but much more powerful and versatile than Itachi's. Human Path's mind reading ability also appears to cross over into Mind Rape territory.
- Kisame: Nagato's chakra absorbtion is very much like Samehada's, only without a cap on how much can be taken at once.
- Zetsu: The rainfall technique is a metrological version of Zetsu's ability to detect things through the land.
- Deidara: The Asura Path is a blast!
- Though Deidara's C3, C4, and C0 eclipse anything we have seen Asura Path unleash.
- Sasori: Nagato's use of the Six Paths of Pain is like a superior puppetry technique, bonus points for the Asura Path which is made of weapons and can emerge from Nagato's body if needed.
- Hidan: Naraka's ability meant fighting enemies that would not stay dead... And then Nagato was brought back as an immortal Edo Tensei zombie.
- Kakuzu: The Rinnegan's bestows upon its wielder all elemental nature transformations and his Uzumaki heritage would've given Nagato a very long life.
- However Nagato himself has displayed elemental jutsu only once to date and that was a Wind elemental one.
- Ambition Is Evil: Surprisingly inverted: Him wanting to change the world is viewed in a very positive light. How he wanted to change it is where he gets into trouble.
- Anti-Villain: Vic Mignogna's performance manages to drive this home even further than the original seiyuu.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The purpose of the Animal Path is to invoke this trope.
- Awesome but Impractical: Pain's interrogation methods. He uses two main abilities to try to find Naruto, one of which can instantly read the mind of those it touches. On it's own, this is perfectly practical. His other, however, can kill anybody who either lies to him or refuses to answer his question. Meaning anybody who actually knows ends up dead... This does spare him the trouble of having to look up misinformation, though.
- His mind reading would be practical if it didn't rip out the person's soul, making it essential that the person had outlived his/her usefulness.
- Awesome Yet Practical: Aside from the ones listed above, all of the Rinnegan's powers...
- Badass: The three Sannin couldn't beat Hanzo. Pain completely destroyed him, has never lost a fight (and he´s presumed to be atleast 30), easily defeated the entirety of Konoha and would´ve completely destroyed Naruto if it wasnt for the fact that Deva´s powers were down for a good 10 minutes after the Shinra Tensei and the vast amount of help Naruto had with him. He is easily the most badass character in the entire show. Oh, and he went up against a Six-tailed Naruto with 1 body left and won.
- The Beastmaster: Unlike everyone else in the series, who are limited to one contract with one species, the Animal Path can summon multiple different creatures:
- Berserk Button: He does not like people questioning his ideals as Tsunade learned the hard way.
- Blood Knight: Despite of his ideas of peace, he really wanted to fight Naruto in his Nine-Tailed form according to the databooks, unfortunately it was too much for him.
- This does explain why he pissed off Naruto once to do so, and complimenting him as a fellow student.
- Not to mention that he briefly shows an uncharacteristic expression of awe ("The nine tailed fox' power... is amazing...") when he fought the six tails, like he was feeling the thrill of fighting a worthy oponent for the first time.
- Cast from Lifespan: The Rinnegan's more powerful techniques.
- Combo Platter Powers: The Rinnegan's powers are basically a mish-mash of various powers that are all Game Breakers in their own right.
- Completely Missing the Point: The portion of the fandom that thinks Naruto should have killed him.
- Cosmic Play Thing: His entire backstory is him being this, ironically prior his death; he had enough power to make the entire shinobi world into a literal plaything.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Arguably, every battle Nagato/Pain has participated in to some extent.
- vs. Jiraiya: Sure, he admitted that Jiraiya would've won if he had known about Nagato's secret, but the fight itself was nothing short of a dragged out execution.
- vs. Konoha: Fighting an entire village and only temporarily losing one expendable Path puts the assault square into this category.
- vs. Sage!Naruto: The first time ever that the Six Paths had faced a challenge, and that quickly disappeared after Deva Path's powers returned.
- vs. 6Tail!Naruto: At first the only time that the Deva Path(aka Yahiko's corpse) was shown struggling with an opponent... Then Chibaku Tensei was revealed...
- vs. 9Tail!Naruto, Killer Bee & Edo!Itachi: Not so much a Curb-Stomp Battle as a massacre until Itachi unleashed Susanoo and used the one thing that had a chance of beating him in that situation.
- Cute Bruiser: The second Animal Path.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Nagato, or more specifically the Six Paths, had never encountered someone who could fight him on even grounds until Naruto. To be fair though, he did admit that Jiraiya would have kicked his ass if he had known the workings of his techniques.
- Actually, Villain Sacrifice. Before Naruto came Pain fought and defeated the entire Hidden Village. And Nuked It. Naruto came with a Super Mode and the strongest warriors of the Frog village; and was defeated. He fought with the Nine-Tails all out and was technically defeated. Even the last Path needed all the juice Naruto had left to take. And when Nagato met with Naruto face-to-face he could use all the Paths' Powers, had Konan with him, and enough chakra left to revive the entire Village.
- Deus Angst Machina: Pretty much Nagato's entire backstory.
- Deus ex Machina: Pain pulls a case of Redemption Equals Death and revives everyone that he'd killed in the last thirty chapters or so. Bonus points to him for considering himself a god and sitting in a machine.
- Disc One Final Boss: Deva Path to Nagato, Nagato to The Masked Man.
- The Dragon: For quite a while, everyone thought this guy would be the Big Bad, but he was actually working as a figurehead for Tobi.
- Evil Counterpart: Naruto's second one. He's even a fellow descendant of the Uzumaki clan.
- Evil Cripple: Nagato lost full use of his legs after saving Konan from Hanzo's fire attack.
- Evil Red Head: Yahiko, and all of Pain's bodies (even the ones that weren't in life) except the bald Asura path, have orange hair, while Nagato has dark red hair.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Has the Rinnegan, after all.
- Fat Bastard: Preta Path.
- Five-Bad Band: A one-man version.
- Freak Out: Nagato after Yahiko's death
- Genius Bruiser
- Glass Cannon: For all the Rinnegan's powers, Pain is just as vulnerable as a normal human. Good luck actually hitting him though.
- Gonk: The Asura Path.
- Handicapped Badass: Even after Kabuto summons him, he is unable to use his legs to do more than stand up, which leads to his sealing by Itachi.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Nagato
- Hero Killer: Killed Jiraiya, Kakashi, and Shizune, and nearly killed Hinata and Choza. Then he brought them all back to life, except for Jiraiya.
- Hollywood Cyborg: Asura Path.
- Ill Guy
- Implacable Man: Pain modus operandi until he faced Naruto.
- Kick the Dog: His nearly killing Hinata.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He's the one who killed Hanzo.
- Leitmotif: "Courtesy", which perfectly captures everything about his character.
- Lightning Bruiser: The Deva Path (Yahiko). When you can keep up with and beat up on both the Four-Tailed and Six-Tailed manifestations of the Nine-Tailed Fox while simultaneously taking whatever it can dish out, you deserve the title.
- Nagato himself shows just how broken the Rinnegan is after he gets brought back with Edo Tensei. He curb-stomps Naruto's new Super Mode, Killer Bee, and Itachi at his peak physical condition simultaneously. The only reason he lost is Itachi had what is quite possibly the one ability that could beat him.
- And even then the only reason said ability even connected was that Nagato was both controlled by an outside influence and seemed to be too busy WTFing at the fact that someone actually broke out of Chibaku Tensei to dodge it
- Madness Mantra: "(Now) Do you understand pain?"
- Magical Eye: The most powerful ones in the setting. It gives him the powers in the Super Power Lottery above although due to his immobility he is forced to divide his abilities between six puppets.
- The Man Behind the Man: Nagato to Deva Path/Yahiko.
- The Man Behind the Curtain: The Six Paths of Pain are insanely powerful, but they're just puppets. Nagato is extremely weak physically, extremely skinny, and has difficulties to walk unaided.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Asura Path.
- Must Make Amends: After being convinced by Naruto.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Well, duh!
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Naruto was down for the count and demoralized... until Pain almost killed Hinata, which resulted in the Nine-Tails coming within a hair's breadth of being completely unsealed.
- One-Man Army
- People Puppets: Uses corpses as hosts/weapons.
- Person of Mass Destruction: In general, Pain is a one... er, six-man army who can level villages on his own. In particular, his Shinra Tensei technique.
- It's been shown that he is perfectly capable of being a one-man army on his own, since he is the Six Paths, and can use the abilities better than through People Puppets.
- The Philosopher: Easily summed up as "Humans Are Bastards" and "War Is Hell".
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "And now, this world will know pain..."
- Redemption Equals Death: Chapter 449.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: Can use any of the weapons that Asura Path used and have them sprout from his real body.
- Shrinking Violet: As a child.
- Squishy Wizard: For all the power the Rinnegan gives him, with his horribly mangled legs he's not going anywhere unaided.
- Start of Darkness: See No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.
- Story-Breaker Power: There's a reason fans accuse him of being a God-Mode Sue: His Rinnegan gives him ridiculous amounts of chakra that rivals the Nine-Tails, a virtually unlimited number of summons, and the ability to use all five elements (in addition to another two), level entire cities, create miniature moons, read minds, rip souls from peoples' bodies, and revive the dead all while being in a wheelchair.
- Superpower Lottery: Of all the superpower lotteries in Naruto, Pain hit the absolute jackpot.
- Too Powerful to Live
- The Unfettered: A villainous example.
- The Unfought: Subverted. He's revived by Kabuto using Edo Tensei, allowing him to have a proper battle against Naruto.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Minus the walking part.
- Tragic Keepsake: Yahiko's body.
The only female in Akatsuki
, and the last to be revealed. Konan uses origami-based powers
. As a child she was orphaned by the Land of Rain's civil war and trained by Jiraiya. She was one of the founding members of Akatsuki, along with Nagato (Pain) and Yahiko, and both Nagato and Yahiko had feelings for her. After Yahiko was killed she became Pain's lieutenant, calling herself "God's Angel". She helped Pain [[spoiler:kill Jiraiya
when her old mentor came searching for intel on Akatsuki's leader, and accompanied him during his invasion of Konoha. After Pain's death, she sided with Naruto and quit the Akatsuki. She tried to prevent Nagato's corpse from ending up in Tobi's hands, but died in the process
- Awesomeness by Analysis: She's the first person to figure out Tobi's Made Of Air powers.
- Badass: Eventually shown to be one of, if not the, strongest female character in the 'Verse, given that she very nearly kills an enemy that took the 4th Hokage a lot of effort to even land one hit on.
- Broken Bird
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu
- Buxom Is Better: Kishimoto's concept art shows that Konan sports an E-cup at least.
- Closer to Earth: By far the most level-headed and, well, sensible of the whole bunch.
- Crazy-Prepared: Disguised 600 BILLION paper bombs as the Hidden Rain Village's lake
- Dark Chick
- Dark Action Girl: Although her powers are not over all as strong as some, she still has some very deadly tricks up her sleeves.
- Determinator: In her last fight against Tobi.
- Designated Girl Fight: Thankfully averted, despite everyone's expectations. Instead, she got to face off with the Manipulative Bastard who hijackied their organization and led both her True Companions to their doom, fighting for her ideals. Then it gets double subverted when it's revealed that said character is a girl.
- Emotionless Girl: Konan's more or less dead inside, except when it comes to Nagato.
- Evil Counterpart: Could be considered one to Sakura. She's basically what Sakura could have become had she chosen to follow Sasuke.
- Could also be seen one to Hinata, should Naruto and her were to have chosen to follow the wrong path.
- Fan Nickname: "Blue".
- Gray Eyes: In the manga.
- Hair Decoration: A flower made of paper.
- Heel-Face Turn: Subverted when examined closely enough. Konan was only allied with Akatsuki, which is very different from being on their side. She was only ever on Nagato's side and nobody else's. His Redemption Equals Death is a Heel-Face Turn, but as far as Konan is concerned she never switched sides, since her "side" was Pain. Since Pain chose to throw his support to Naruto, she's supporting Naruto now.
- Heroic Sacrifice: God knows she tries. Her first attack against Tobi was an attempted suicide attack. He ended up saving her too. A "thank you" is in order.
- Lady of War: Konan finally has the chance to show Tobi just how much ass she can kick.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Granted, being in Akatsuki should have been the first clue. But not even Tobi realized how tough she could be when she wanted to. He still beat her, but he had to warp reality to SURVIVE.
- Neutral Female: Averted, subverted, then justified. During the invasion of Konoha, she definitely was doing her bit, but it got overshadowed by the proportions of the havoc wreaked by Pain. Later she didn't take part in the Naruto vs. Pain fight because she was actually with Nagato. Later again, Nagato explicitely tells her later not to interfere between him and Naruto.
- Only Sane Man: Along with Kisame, she is generally the only member who consistently acts in a rational manner.
- Paper Master
- Person of Mass Destruction: Thanks to billions of explosive tags.
- Punny Name: One of her techniques, kami no shisha no jutsu is a pun off of her "Angel" epithet. Phonetically, it could be reads as the "messenger of God technique," but the kanji instead reads "paper-person of God technique."
- Satellite Character: Take away Yahiko and Nagato's influence on her and what do you have left? A near-emotionless woman with paper powers who likes to do origami.
- The Smurfette Principle: Word of God says this was the original intention.
- Stripperific: Kishimoto's concept art shows that beneath her cloak, she waers a scanty robe that exposes her stomach, part of her breasts and back.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Acts and looks very cold, but genuinely cares for Nagato.
- Survivor Guilt: Yahiko's death destroyed her emotionally.
- Token Good Teammate
- Undying Loyalty: To Nagato.
- Unholy Matrimony: Chapter 511 heavily implies that she and Yahiko were at least aware that they were attracted to each other.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: She was a very sweet little girl... then shit happened.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: To Yahiko if Chapter 511 is any indicator.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Her powers are nullified by oil.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Her paper abilities.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Known as "Blue" prior to actually being given a name. More like light purple in the anime.
The founder and original leader of Akatsuki through Tobi's influence
, until he sacrificed himself to save Konan from Hanzo. He beleved Nagato was the Chosen One, and so sacrificed himself to spare him from making a Sadistic Choice. His body was later used by Nagato to make the Deva Path, the most powerful of the Six Paths of Pain
Born into the war torn land of Ame, Yahiko was orphaned like so many others. Forced to fend for himself, he soon met Konan and Nagato. They were forced to work together to survive, but became close friends under Jiraya's tutelage.
Sasuke's Aloof Big Brother
is the Akatsuki member with the most screen time to date. He was believed to have
killed his closest friend in order to gain the Mangekyo Sharingan, a more advanced form of the Sharingan with several unique abilities. He then proceeded to kill the entire Uchiha clan save Sasuke for reasons of his own, then abandoned the village to join Akatsuki.
On screen, he rarely moves and rarely speaks, but he's too good a fighter for even high-level ninja to take on. He was a prodigy as a child and has only gotten stronger since. He is an expert at genjutsu, is a master of the Uchihas' Fire-Style jutsus, and knows most of Konoha's signature jutsu, such as the Shadow Clone Jutsu; Itachi, uniquely, has demonstrated the ability to detonate his clones as an offensive technique when he no longer needs them. In addition, the Mangekyo Sharingan gives Itachi three extremely powerful but draining jutsu with which to fight: Amaterasu, a black flame hotter than the sun which can burn anything, even other flames, Tsukuyomi, a genjutsu which can bring its target to complete mental and physical collapse by tormenting them for what seems like days in just a few seconds
, and Susano'o, which summons a massive ethereal warrior which can attack and defend on Itachi's behalf. The new abilities the Mangekyo gives come with a price, however. Extended use causes the user's eyesight to fade, eventually resulting in complete blindness. The only way to combat this is to create a permanent Mangekyo Sharingan by replacing the user's eyes with his brother's.
His only appearance in the original series was directly after the Chunin Exam arc, when he appeared in Konoha with his partner Kisame to capture Naruto. He and Kisame easily defeated Kurenai, Asuma, and Kakashi, but retreated rather than become involved in a general melee. When Sasuke heard his brother was in the area, he immediately rushed out to challenge him, but Itachi easily beat him and Mind Raped
him in the process, further feeding Sasuke's inferiority complex. After Jiraiya chased the Akatsuki off, Itachi was ordered not to attempt to capture Naruto again until after the Time Skip
, Pain creates a clone of Itachi to serve as a delaying action during the Rescue Gaara arc. Team 7 beats it, and Itachi doesn't appear again until directly prior to his fight with Sasuke, where he briefly confronts Naruto, force-feeding him a crow containing one of his friend's Sharingan
before leaving to duel his brother. He claims that he left Sasuke alive because he wanted to take Sasuke's eyes for himself. However, Itachi dies from a terminal illness before he can kill Sasuke. After the fight, however, Tobi, claiming to be Madara Uchiha, explains to Sasuke that Itachi was ordered to kill the clan by Konoha's top brass, but couldn't bring himself to kill Sasuke, so he decided instead to become a Stealth Mentor to his younger brother, motivating him to grow stronger so that he would eventually be able to destroy the clan's enemies. Upon learning that Itachi sacrificed everything that was important to him for him, Sasuke begins to hate Konoha and swears revenge against it.Kabuto later resurrects him with Edo Tensei. Luckily, the power he implanted in Naruto to use on Sasuke breaks him free in a lucky coincidence. He proceeds to track down Kabuto, apparently having a plan to stop the Edo Tensei. Along the way, he bumps into Sasuke, who pulls a Heel-Face Turn and joins him in fighting Kabuto in exchange for Itachi to explain himself. He ends up successfully defeating Kabuto with some help from Sasuke and the use of Izanami, after which he forces Kabuto into ending the Edo tensei. The little amount of time that remains is then used by him to explain everything he knows about the massacre to Sasuke and bidding his little brother an emotional, final farewell.
- Affably Evil: Always polite, offers his opponents the chance to escape (unless they are his target) and never uses more power than needed to disable, without lasting harm if possible. He is also an unrepentant mass murderer with history of mentally torturing several protagonists of the series, especially his little brother (who was 7 years old the first time, 13 the second).
- Subverted in that he's not actually evil and is actually completely torn up by guilt. It is revealed (albeit by an Unreliable Narrator) that the reason he went back to Konoha was to check on Sasuke to make sure he was alright after Sarutobi's death. It just turned out that he had to actually harm Sasuke in the process, though mind-raping him wasn't really necessary.
- Aloof Big Brother: One of the Anime poster boys for this trope.
- Always Someone Better: To Sasuke.
- And I Must Scream: Tsukuyomi is essentially And I Must Scream no Jutsu.
- Animal-Eared Headband: Anime only, a flashback shows him wearing cat ears so he could talk to Nekomata. No, seriously.◊
- Animal Motifs:
- Creepy Crows: Itachi will often dissolve into a murder of crows which Sasuke remarked was his favorite jutsu.
- Wicked Weasel: His first name is a homonym of the Japanese word for "weasel."
- Arc Words: "Your hate is not strong enough".
- The Atoner
- Awesomeness by Analysis
- Back from the Dead: Until chapter 591.
- Badass: Kills an entire clan of elite ninja and Becomes an S-rank missing-nin at age 13, while blackmailing Danzo. Wins every fight we've seen him in without breaking a sweat, including "battles" against Kakashi, Naruto, Sasuke and Orochimaru, until he meets Sasuke in Part II. Beats Sasuke while terminally ill, literally dying in front of him.
- Bash Brothers: He and Kisame make an excellent team, even when they aren't actually fighting alongside each other.
- Big Brother Mentor: Seems to be this way to Naruto.
- Big Damn Heroes: When he rescues Naruto and Killer Bee from certain death at the hands of edo Nagato after Nagato defeated the two Jinchuriki in a Curb-Stomp Battle.
- As if this was not enough, he proceeds to find out Chibaku Tensei's weakness and destroys it, assisted by Naruto and Bee. And tops this off by perma-sealing Nagato with the Totsuka sword.
- Big Brother Instinct: The reason he didn't kill Sasuke and didn't kill him during their final fight.
- Zigzagged later His plan was to make Sasuke a thrall for the rest of his life if he faced Naruto. Sasuke would still be aware of what happened after this.
- Big Good: For one of the manga's subplots, though not the whole thing.
- Bloodbath Villain Origin
- Blue and Orange Morality: His acts with his goals and his desires are in such contradiction with each other that he not only skirt, but happily jumps to this category.
- Born Winner
- Break the Cutie: He witnessed and was traumatized by the Third Shinobi World War at just four years old.
- Broken Ace
- Broken Bird
- Byronic Hero
- Celibate Hero: Tobi mentions that he killed his lover along with the rest of the Uchihas but given that he was only thirteen when it happened, it's unlikely they ever did much beyond kissing.
- Characterization Marches On: Pure evil in his first appearance, then we can see fragments of his past, then we learn that everything he did was for the sake of Konoha and Sasuke.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: While he is renowned for his Genjutsu and Ninjutsu skills, he is extremely talented in Taijitsu and strong enough to throw enemies flying through walls with just a kick.
- The Chessmaster
- Chewing the Scenery: SASUKE! YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WILL BECOME MY NEW LIGHT!
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Itachi mentally tortures his foes with genjutsu, among his victims are Kakashi, Naruto, and especially Sasuke. He does it as a standard fighting technique, apparently without wrath or pleasure.
- Combat Pragmatist: Itachi tries to end fights as quickly as he can and certainly doesn't shirk away from dirty tactics.
- Crazy-Prepared: The number of steps he's taken to protect Sasuke either directly or indirectly definitely qualifies him. He even had a backup plan in case Madara survived his trap and won Sasuke over.
- Subverted in that most of his plans, while fairly thought out, simply didn't work like he wanted and in some cases backfired. In particular, Sasuke ends up doing the EXACT opposite of what he'd wanted, the trap he set for Tobi failed, and the failsafe he left Naruto ended up being used on himself (long story) instead of Sasuke. At this point he's down to his last backup plan which is basically "trust Naruto to fix this somehow".
- Creepy Child: Back when he was a child.
- More-so when he was a teenager than when he was actually a child.
- Creepy Monotone
- Cry Cute: He broke down into near-hysterics as he killed his parents. Anyone who didn't feel for him in that moment is soulless.
- Cryptic Conversation: Pretty much everything Itachi EVER said.
- After being revived as a zombie and teaming up with Sasuke to defeat Kabuto and undo the jutsu, he finally decides he's done trying to manipulate Sasuke and tells him how he really feels.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Seems rather fond of this. Till date he has curb-stomped Kakashi, Kurenai, and Asuma (three of them together), Orochimaru (twice), Deidara, and Sasuke (multiple times).
- Itachi faced Sasuke while terminally ill and intending to lose and still ends up schooling Sasuke!
- Itachi has also literally one shotted Naruto twice with his genjutsu though none of the incidents resulted in a true defeat for Naruto because Itachi never really intended to capture him for Akatsuki.
- While his fight with Sasuke appeared to be fairly even with Itachi having a slight edge until he brings out Susano'o, Tobi makes it abundantly clear that if Itachi had actually been trying Sasuke would never have stood a chance.
- Cursed with Awesome: His Susanoo possesses the Yata Mirror, an indestructible shield and the Sword of Totsuka, the mightiest genjutsu forged weapon in history. The drawback is that it pretty much destroyed his eyes and put severe strain in his body.
- After killing off the clan, all he wanted was to die by Sasuke's hands to atone...but he's so damn strong, it took a massive fight with him holding back and being terminally ill to actually get that done. The man is too good for his own good.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially after his resurrection.
- Justified in that he doesn't have to pretend to be evil anymore, so his real personality is more apparent.
- Defector from Decadence: In the Valley-of-the-end flashback, he expresses his disgust at how his fellow clansmen are obsessed with the Uchiha's glory and utterly full of themselves, losing sight of their actual capacities. He then proceeds to throw a kunai into the nearest Uchiha crest, and the rest is history... We later learn that he turned against them because they were planning a coup d'etat that would've plunged the entire continent into a senseless war.
- The Determinator
- Didn't Think This Through: ZigZagged. He certainly thought through much of his Gambit Pileup, but a posteriori one can say his methods to implement it were contradictory with his goals.
- Dirty Business: He's constructed around this trope.
- Disc One Final Boss: For Sasuke.
- The Dragon/ The Starscream:For Nagato as apart of the Akatsuki Zombies and the both of them as Co-Dragons for Kabuto ,but later escapes his control
- Driving Question: The technique he used to escape Jiraya teased fans for years before he revealed Amaterasu in his fight with Sasuke.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Not actually his defeating of both Sasuke and Orochimaru back to back, but his using his last seconds of life to put a defense against Madara in Sasuke.
- Easily Forgiven: By Sasuke who went from loathing him to protecting his legacy (albeit in a completely opposite way of what Itachi wished) in the matter of a night. Ditto with the Fandom. It helps that he was popular before The Reveal.
- Evil Genius: He's a genius. He's evil. Pretty self-explanatory. May also play this role within Akatsuki, given his Master of Illusion powers.
- Subverted later on, when we learn he just pretending to be evil. He was certainly willing to Shoot the Dog though.
- Excuse Me While I Multitask: He was capable of doing Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Taijitsu, and Shurikenjutsu simultaneously against a level S opponent without any strain.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Facial Markings
- Fallen Hero: He was the pride and joy of the Uchiha clan and the idol of Sasuke before the massacre.
- Feather Motif: His Genjutsus almost always include a shower of Crow Feathers.
- For the Evulz: He pretty much confessed to Sasuke that the only reason he killed off the clan was to see if he could. Subverted later, when it turns out he was ordered to do it.
- Genius Bruiser
- Gone Horribly Right: He deliberately made Sasuke full of hate and power-obsessed in order to have him strong enough to kill him and redeem the Uchiha clan. The first part worked beyond any expectation, the second...not so much.
- The Gift: Obviously. He graduates from the Academy at age 7, masters the Sharingan at 8, becomes Chuunin at 10, joins the ANBU at 13, besides already being an S-ranked criminal and one of the strongest members of Akatsuki, who thinks this guy is normal?
- Glass Cannon: Very skilled and powerful, but suffers from a lack of stamina.
- Go Out with a Smile: "Sorry, Sasuke. There won't be a next time." .
- Twice, actually, thanks to being revived through Edo Tensei.
"You never have to forgive me... No matter what happens to you (Sasuke) from here on out, I will always love you." .
- Good All Along
- Good Is Not Nice
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: He uses the genjutsu Izanami to place Kabuto in one.
- Hannibal Lecture: Master of this.
- Happiness in Slavery: The ultimate fate he prepared for Sasuke though failed to actually implement it. He had to use Shisui's eye on himself instead after Kabuto Edo tensei.
- It is to be mentioned that this was meant as an ultimate last resort in case all his other backup blans failed, and that he is later shown to feel somewhat guilty of it. He outright tells Naruto "I hope you never have to use it.". He just didn't want a genocide to happen because of his personal wish to let his little brother live.
- Heel-Face Turn: A variant in that he was an Anti-Villain all along. He was definitely still wrong, though, and admits it to Naruto later.
- Hero Killer
- Hero with an F in Good: Between his Mind Rapes of Sasuke and Kakashi, general brutality, and a pretty serious lack of social skills, Itachi sucks at being the good guy.
- Hero with Bad Publicity
- Hidden Agenda Villain: Since the first act it has been confusing which are his goals or if indeed he has any beyond messing with Sasuke's life. We learn of them... by a third party after his death..
- I Did What I Had to Do: And he hated it.
- I Let You Win
- Ill Boy
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Defense: Counter Shuriken Rain.
- Innocent Prodigy: During Kurama's attack on Kononha, Itachi (then five) calmly comforted the crying Sasuke (who was only a few months old) and assured him that he would keep him safe no matter what. His inner-monologue, however, reveals a rather frightened child wishing their parents would hurry and get home.
- He was so advanced during his time in the academy that one teacher mentions having to do very little work with him. He still put off doing his homework in favor of playing games with Sasuke, even with their mother wanting him to study.
- Instant Armor: Susano'o.
- Japanese Mythology: All his special abilities (and most of the Uchihas) are named after Japanese Gods.
- Jerkass Façade
- Kick the Dog: His mental torture of Sasuke and Kakashi.
- Kissing Cousins: Evidently killed a "lover" during the Uchiha Massacre; since only the Uchiha clan was killed, the "lover" in question was likely a cousin, perhaps a girl that he was arranged to marry.
- Knight in Sour Armor: If his comments after Kabuto resurrects him are anything to go by.
- Leitmotif: "Many Nights". It's very fitting... somehow.
- Lock and Load Montage: An anime-only scene of him getting ready to slaughter the Uchiha clan can certainly be viewed this way.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Magical Eye: The Sharingan and then later the Mangekyou Sharingan. They grant the following abilities:
- Manly Tears: As he left his home behind forever.◊
- Master of Illusion: The best genjutsu master we've seen so far.
- Master Swordsman: We only see him using a sword a few times (deflecting kunai thrown by Sasuke and cutting off Kabuto's horn) but it's clear he's incredibly skilled with the blade, as expected of an ANBU member. It also seems that he used his sword extensively when he killed off the Uchihas.
- Meaningful Echo: Throughout their childhood, when Sasuke would ask Itachi to train with him, Itachi would poke his forehead and say something along the lines of "Sorry, Sasuke, next time." The last thing he does before dying is to poke Sasuke's forehead and say "Sorry, Sasuke, there won't be a next time." It's heart wrenching.
- Then, as he is released by Edo Tensei, he seems poised to poke Sasuke's forehead again...and then he reaches back towards his neck, and their foreheads meet.
Itachi:"You never have to forgive me. No matter what happens to you from here on out, I will always love you."
- Mental World: Tsukuyomi.
- Mind Rape: Tsukuyomi
- Morality Chain: Itachi's existence notably keeps Sasuke's sanity anchored to this world. Back when Itachi was alive, Sasuke may have been angsty, but not insane. After he killed Itachi was when he began to lose it, but, now that Itachi is..."alive" again, Sasuke is acting far more sane than he has in 100 chapters.
- And now that he realizes that Itachi is about to go back to being dead (as a result of ending the technique that revived him), he's right back to talking about destroying Konoha...
- My Country, Right or Wrong: "The village does have its dark side and inconsistencies. But I'm still the Leaf's Itachi Uchiha."
- Necessarily Evil: He certainly viewed himself this way, though, and hated himself for it. Then, after his resurrection, he realizes how horribly wrong he was.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: All of his actions seemed to have been aimed at making Sasuke realize that the village is more important than his family's pride. He couldn't have failed more if he had done it on purpose. He at least accepted the possibility of failure and left Naruto, Shisui's other eye, as a safeguard, only for that to fail, too..
- Forcing Kabuto to release Edo Tenseï has become this, since it enabled Madara to completely break out of the technique's control while keeping the insane regeneration and unlimited chakra. In his hurry to dispel the technique, he failed to realize that the technique might have some actual weaknesses and drawbacks.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Using Tsukuyomi on Sasuke the night of the massacre ultimately made him able to resist Orochimaru's "killing intent" during the Chuunin Exams just enough to break free from the paralysis by stabbing himself.
- No Social Skills Possibly a subversion, as after he's resurrected, he turns out to be good with advice and actually pretty funny. His lack of social skills may have just been a part of his act.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Before leaving the village he managed to blackmail Danzo.
- A filler episode taking place in part one has team 7 go through hell fighting their way through a city of ninja cats, then against their leader Nekomata in order to get his pawprint. At the end of the episode it's revealed that Itachi, when he was about six years old, decimated the entire ninja-cat army and Nekomata himself with apparently no difficulty whatsoever.
- Once the truth is learned, the entire Uchiha massacre could be seen this way given that we're only shown tiny bits of it.
- Oh, Crap: His reaction to Kirin during his final fight with Sasuke and to Sage Mode Dragon Kabuto.
- Only Sane Man: He and Kisame together make up this as part of the Akatsuki. That says a lot.
- Playing with Fire
- Fireballs: As big as a house and strong enough to let a trail in the ground.
- Power Degeneration: Mangekyô Sharingan.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy:Deconstructed. He annihilates the entire Uchiha Clan when they were about to go forward with their betrayal, antagonises and tortures his pre-teen little brother into hating him, casts himself as the vile traitor so that one day his brother will be led to kill him, all to tie up everything and making everybody believe that the Uchiha Clan save him were a proud and noble clan devout to Konoha, when he knew full well that he was the only one left in the clan that was actually like that.
- Quick Draw: Shuriken flavor. Capable of throwing dozens of thousands of Shuriken with perfect accuracy in milliseconds without any effort.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: The usual flavor of Uchiha.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His Sharingan, which he almost always has activated.
- Reverse Mole
- Sanity Slippage: Implemented a really fake one during his fight against Sasuke.
- Self-Made Orphan
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: After the Third Ninja War. At four years old.
- Although he is said to have witnessed it, not taken part in it. It's already horrible enough.
- Sibling Team: He and Sasuke against Kabuto. Hopefully it will stick.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor was this in Akatsuki all along alongside Orochimaru
- Spanner in the Works: Itachi has foiled or complicated the plans of pretty much every single organization or chessmaster he's encountered in the series. Short list: the Uchiha clan, Danzo, Orochimaru, Team 7's attempts to rehabilitate Sasuke, Tobi, and Kabuto. Sadly, this includes a few of his own plans too — needlessly pushing an already vengeance-minded Sasuke over the edge and accidentally triggering his own failsafe in Naruto on himself. He further complicates Kabuto's plans by intending to force him to end the Edo Tensei, and seemingly puts a cork in Sasuke's Kill Konoha plan by promising to finally explain his motivations in exchange for his help in stopping Kabuto.
- Stealth Mentor
- Stepford Smiler: Type C, acting like a kind and gentle boy to hide his plan to murder his clan pretty much for the heck of it. Although his mask started to slip quite a bit after Shisui died. Later revealed to be a Type A, he was kind and gentle but smiled to hide his despair at knowing he had no choice but to kill the people he loved. His attitude changed after Shisui's death because he was legitimately mourning his best friend.
- The Stoic
- Stoic Woobie.
- Not So Stoic: During his final fight with Sasuke. Subverted in that it was actually fake.
- Turns out, he was crying hysterically when he killed their parents, so much so that they actually had to encourage him to go through with it.
- The Strategist: So good that all his fights degraded into well oiled choreographs eventually.
- Suicide by Cop: Subverted. He kept himself alive despite being eaten up with disease so that 1) Sasuke could kill him, become a hero for Konoha and redeem their clan and 2) to punish himself for his sins. Ultimately, he died from by a combination of his disease and fighting Sasuke.
- Super Reflexes: So fast with his hand seals that the two other Ninjas with Super Reflexes can barely see a blur.
- Super Speed
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Along with Bleach's Ulquiorra is the anime poster boy of this trope.
- Tantrum Throwing: When his father and three other police start to lecture him about the importance of the clan (immediately after he's been accused of murdering Shisui) he hurls a kunai at one of the crests painted on a nearby wall, then goes off on a rant about how useless and limiting concepts like clans are.
- Teach Him Anger And Hate: Twice to Sasuke with a heavy dosis of powerhungry obsession so the latter could become a well adjusted human being, a loyal Shinobi of Konoha and redeemer of the Uchiha clan... yeah.
- Technical Pacifist: After the third war, he became a Pacifist above all else. His slaughter of the Uchiha clan was to prevent them from throwing Konoha into chaos and starting another war. He's one of the least violent fighters, only ever using enough power to accomplish his ultimate goals, of which just victory is a rare one...
- Teen Genius
- Thanatos Gambit: He had an emergency plan to stop Madara from manipulating Sasuke by implanting an Amaterasu in his brother that would be triggered at the sight of Tobi's Sharingan. It failed. However, Itachi had a backup plan since he knew there would inevitably be a confrontation between his brother and Naruto. His plan was to brainwash Sasuke permanently to be loyal to Konoha forever with Shisui's Eye that implanted in Naruto with the crow, which would activate during their fight. However, the one thing he did not count on was being resurrected and turned into a thrall by Kabuto. He then decides to use the power he gave Naruto on himself, which allows him to break Kabuto geis with another. His Plan C appears to be "trust Naruto."
- Theme Naming: His Mangekyô Sharingan powers are named after Japanese gods. Of note is that these are the exact same gods who slew Orochimaru of the legendary Sannin of Konoha.
- The Comically Serious: Despite his traumatic past and the lifetime of guilt that accompanies it, he has a sense of humor, believe it or not.
- Two words: Dr. Snakes.
- Even better, pretty much the only person never thrown off by Itachi's joking is Sasuke, implying that Itachi used to be like this before the massacre (or possibly that nothing Itachi does throws him off anymore). He even joins in at one point!
Itachi and Sasuke have just successfully double-teamed Kabuto, using an upgraded version of a move that Sasuke messed up on when he and Itachi took on a giant boar as children
- Those Two Bad Guys: With Kisame, early on. Par for the course for Akatsuki, who generally go about their grim business in pairs. Later on he strikes up quite the rapport with Nagato, whom he helps about the battlefield as they involuntarily serve Kabuto.
- The Unfettered: He will do anything to protect Sasuke and the Land of Fire.
- Subverted later. Not with the Land of Fire but he deemed Sasuke free will as an acceptable sacrifice, after realizing that his brother may have fallen too far to save.
- Vocal Dissonance
- War Is Hell: His real motivation for killing off his clan. They were on the verge of starting a civil war (that would likely lead to a world war) and he was unable to convince them to call it off.
- Was It All a Lie??: Yes and no, depending on which "it" is being referred to. The insane, unrepentant murderer we first meet? Yeah, that's a huge lie. As for the loving (if extreme) brother Sasuke remembers? No, it wasn't.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In chapter 576 Sasuke tries to do this to him, trying to understand why his brother left him alive. Due to Itachi both being in a hurry to stop Kabuto and feeling he's messed Sasuke up too much already, Itachi keeps shutting Sasuke down with curt yet vauge replies. He does at least confess that he wanted Sasuke to kill him so he could find redemption for the clan, but massive miscommunication still seems to be these two's standard.
- White Sheep
- Worf Had the Flu: Subverted. He couldn't fight Sasuke at full force for two reasons: 1) he didn't want to; 2) he was terminally ill. And still, even Kirin couldn't give Sasuke the upper hand in the fight.
- Would Hit a Girl: Up to and including his own mother.
- You Are What You Hate: Vividly believed this at one point in his life, but then accepted himself for who he was and acknowledged his mistakes in death.
A former member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, Kisame is a polite, but a savage warrior who loves to fight
. He is partners and good friends with Itachi, and owns a sentient sword called Samehada ("Sharkskin" in the dub and as a rough translation) which can absorb chakra from anything it
, and can fuse with him to transform him into an anthropomorphic shark
. He also possesses an enormous amount of chakra that is compared to the level of a tailed beast.
, a clone of his is beaten by Guy, then he doesn't do too much but hang around Itachi. He later gets assigned to go after the Eight-Tailed Ox and seemingly gets killed for his troubles. It is later revealed that was just a clone and Kisame manages to infiltrate Kumogakure by hiding in his sword. His cover ends up blown and he fights Guy again, but rather than give up the information upon losing he commits suicide by having his own shark summons eat him
. It was revealed that Kisame was Tobi's Psycho Supporter
since before his days as a member of the Seven Swordsmen, and served as the personal bodyguard of the Fourth Mizukage, who was Tobi's puppet.
- Actually a Doombot: Happens twice.
- Affably Evil: Cheerful, polite, and always pleased to make the acquaintance of someone new. Like Itachi, he'll also give opponents the chance to back down, which makes him very different from most of his teammates.
- Become Your Weapon: With Samehada, in a very Arrancar-esque way.
- BFS: If you can really count that thing as a sword. It is known as the Samehada ("sharkskin").
- Blood Knight
- The Brute: Serves this role in the Akatsuki up until Itachi dies (see the Five-Bad Band page)
- The Dragon: Becomes this to Tobi and replaces Pain postion as the Dragon of Tobi and with Zetsu as Co-Dragons
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Inverted. He is loyal enough to his partner Itachi and Akatsuki, and fanatically devoted to what he thinks is Madara. However, while he was a Mist-nin he had a severe case of this, slaughtering his allies at the drop of a hat and murdering his superior who is impled to have been his mentor, although this was out of loyalty to the village.
- Cyanide Pill: Instead of getting captured, he opted for suicide so as to not give any information he may hold to the enemy.
- Empathic Weapon: Samehada's hilt will sprout spikes if anyone other than Kisame picks it up. It can also return to his hand. it turns out to be a living, sentient sword with a toothy mouth.
- Energy Absorption: His sword lets him absorb the chakra of anyone it touches, or of any technique that launch into the air.
- Everything Is Even Worse With Sharks: His face, attacks and more.
- Exact Words: He was ordered to protect an Intel squad carrying important codes, and above all to prevent those codes from falling into enemy hands. At the first sign of trouble, he massacres the squad, so they can't tell anyone the codes they are protecting. His attitude at the time suggests he was actually hoping they would be attacked just so he could do this, which would mean he did it For the Evulz.
- Faking the Dead: After his original seeming death by decapitation, it was revealed several months later that what actually died was a clone created by Zetsu.
- Fusion Dance: With his sword.
- Genius Bruiser: Rarely seen, but he is very quick to pick up on weaknesses and has shown a decided knack for quick yet highly successful plans.
- Gradual Grinder : His preferred method of taking down powerful foes.
- Lightning Bruiser: Terrifyingly fast, and strong enough to trade blows with Guy without any real difficulty.
- Loners Are Freaks: His backstory has elements of this, such as refusing to have lunch with the Intel group he was protecting.
- Making a Splash: Kisame specializes in flashy water jutsu.
- Meaningful Name: "Same" means shark in Japanese.
- The "ki" part of his name is written with a kanji character meaning ogre or demon. Therefore, his given name is "demon shark."
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Kisame means "demon shark".
- Nietzsche Wannabe: He believes the world is based on nothing but lies, so he has no particular reason to trust or be loyal to anyone. He only follows Madara because the latter agrees, and because he appears to validate his opinions for example, by the revelation that he was controlling the 4th Mizukage, thus showing that the Mist was based on a lie and not run by the man everyone was following, because Kisame believes him when he says he can change all that.
- Not-So-Small Role: For a long time he was just considered as The Brute and Itachi's sidekick. In the end, he was the last member of Akatsuki (except for Zetsu) to be taken down, dying after Itachi and even Nagato and Konan. He also turned out to be just as close to Tobi as Itachi was before he left Konoha, apparently.
- Off with His Head!: When the clone of Kisame goes up against the Raikage and Killer B, he gets struck with the manliest move ever used in the Naruto universe. His head flies off like a champagne cork.
: Water Release: Super Shark Bo—(sickening thud) A and Killer B
: DOUBLE LARIATOOOOOO! (screen flashes white) Kisame's disembodied head
: Well...you guys are just too fast for me.
- Older Sidekick: To Itachi
- One-Winged Angel: Can fuse with Samehada.
- Only Sane Man: With Itachi and Konan, among the Akatsuki.
- Thanatos Gambit / Taking You with Me: The scroll he stole back and made Guy fight so hard for... was booby trapped. As soon as it was opened it sealed everyone within range with the Water Prison Technique, complete with shark summonings in each individual prison, while one of the summonings takes the scroll to Madara.
- Shark Man
- The Mole- becomes this to infiltrate the Allied Force.
- Unknown Rival: Guy has a hard time remembering just who Kisame is for Kisame's whole life.
- Villainous Friendship: Compared to most of Akatsuki's other teams, which involve hostile relationships between partners, Kisame and Itachi get along quite well. While they were hostile when they first met, Kisame displays genuine concern for Itachi. In fact, other than the aforementioned meeting, they are never shown to argue at all, and that argument was quite civilised and only turned nasty when Kisame drew Samahada. Kisame's last words are even directed at Itachi! Their friendship is actually quite sweet.
- Worthy Opponent: To Guy.
A Mad Artist
and Marionette Master
notable for being very impatient. Before being destroyed by Sakura Haruno, Sasori was usually found maneuvering inside a large, hollow puppet called Hiruko as a means of transportation. It crawled on the ground and featured a scorpion tail that—like most of his weapons—was doused in poison. His grandmother was Chiyo, who taught him how to master puppets in order to divert his attention away from his absent mother and father (who were killed by The White Fang of Konoha, although Sasori did not know this (he was told by Chiyo that they were on another long mission). He developed a technique to convert living humans into puppets, thus creating puppets who could use jutsu. Kidnapped the Third Kazekage and converted him into one of these puppets, somewhere along the way connverted himself
into a puppet, and then fled the village to subsequently join the Akatsuki, where he was partnered with Orochimaru, with whom he worked well together with. After his partner's betrayel of the organization, Sasori sent Kabuto as a spy to infiltrate Orochimaru's ranks and retrieve information.He was then paired up with Deidara, a fellow art enthusiast. The downside was that they had conflicting views on art, Sasori for "eternal" and Deidara for "fleeting". They frequently argued over this concept, even amidst confrontation with the Leaf ninja sent to retrieve Gaara. Sasori fought his grandmother Chiyo and Sakura, eventually using his own puppet body in battle. He was killed by being pierced in the heart by the first two puppets he ever created: replicas of his Mother and Father.His body serves as Kankuro's newest puppet, but Kabuto has used Edo Tensei to revive his spirit as well. In the first fight of the Fourth Ninja War, Kankuro defeats Sasori, telling him how he should not be a puppet to Kabuto. Sasori, moved by this speech, dissolves from his temporary body, giving Kankuro his Mother and Father puppets and telling him to take care of them
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: Happens, mixed with Pulling Themselves Together, when he reattaches his head to his body. In the anime it also happens to his hands when he uses the Water Scroll.
- Anatomy Arsenal: See below.
- The Ageless: Due to being a puppet.
- Animal Motifs: Scorpions of course.
- Awesome but Impractical: His bladed shoulder blades allow him to fly via the propeller motion they make and can function as swords or a giant powersaw but because they're attached to his hips it's hard to fight with them properly due to the angle they're situated at.
- Badass: Being in Akatsuki automatically qualifies for this, and he could've defeated Sakura and Chiyo, but chose to die at the hands of his puppets.
- Badass Boast: "Since I don't like waiting or making other people wait... I'll end this quickly."
- Beware My Stinger Tail: Both his Hiruko puppet and his body have a scorpion like tail
- Cyborg: Kinda.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: After the death of his parents.
- Evil Redhead
- Evil Genius For Akatsuki alongside Orochimaru who both seems to fit the role and for the revived Akatsuki by Kabuto.
- Freudian Excuse: Suggested to some degree that the death of his parents and his attempting to replace them with puppets caused him to turn evil, but Chiyo suggests that the Sand Village teachings caused it.
- Go Out with a Smile: After his defeat by Kankuro
- Immortality Immorality: Believes that by becoming a puppet one can attain eternal life, and has some fairly twisted views on human life.
- Heart Drive: Has one that functions as his core.
- Heel Realization
- In-Series Nickname / Awesome McCoolname: Akasuna no Sasori (Sasori of the Red Sand/Scorpion of the Red Sand).
- Irony: He hates waiting, but because of his puppet body he technically has all the time in the world.
- He claims that emotion is a form of weakness despite having a heart but no brain.
- Yet thanks to them, Kankuro could set him free of Kabuto´s control.
- His body is now used as a puppet by Kankuro, whom Sasori had easily defeated way earlier.
- And now his soul is a puppet for Kabuto, who was once under his control as a spy.
- Leitmotif: "Shitsui" Translates as 'Despair'. Hm. I wonder why?
- Mad Artist: Believes that art lasts forever.
- Making a Splash/Playing with Fire: Thanks to fire and water sealed into scrolls, he's able to use the guns in his puppet body's hands for at least those two elemental attacks. First flamethrowers hot enough to melt rock, then water streams intense enough to cut or smash through it (this one is Anime only).
- Marionette Master
- Master Poisoner: His poisons where nigh incurable to the best of the Sand's medical corps.
- Meaningful Name: "Sasori" means "scorpion". Sasori's Hiruko armor runs on all four and has a bladed tail, Sasori uses Poisoned Weapons, and he uses a a scorpion as his symbol on the puppets he created before his defection.
- Older Than He Looks: He's 35 years old but his puppet body, which he created 20 years ago, looks like a teenager.
- One-Man Army: Literally.
- Passing the Torch: To Kankuro
- People Puppets: Indulges in this after being revived by Kabuto's Edo Tensei due to a lack of usable puppets at his disposal. He combines this with Deidara's explosive clay to turn an incapacitated ninja from Konoha into a suicide bomber.
- Puppet Armor: The armor even has a name (Hiruko).
- Anime provides an explanation for that. Hiruko is a human puppet. In the manga, it's just an ordinary puppet.
- Pulling Themselves Together: After Sakura seemingly destroys his puppet body.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: After he reveals his puppet body, he becomes consideribly less calm.
- Zerg Rush: His trump card, "Performance of 100 Puppets."
A Mad Artist
and Mad Bomber
who likes Stuff Blowing Up
. The former student of the Third Tsuchikage
, Deidara has mouths in his palms which shape explosive clay, along with a stitched mouth on his chest. He defected from his village of Iwagakure and worked for various anti-government terrorist groups because they readily supplied him with chances to show off his "art". He was forcibly recruited into Akatsuki by Itachi, and hates him and the Sharingan for his dismal defeat. His first partner was Sasori, with whom he frequently argued about what "true art" was (Sasori vouching for 'eternal' art in the form of puppets, and Deidara siding with 'fleeting' art in the form of his bombs). He single-handedly captured Gaara during the first arc of Shippuden, but had one arm crushed by an enraged
Naruto in the process and the other sent to another dimension when confronted by Kakashi. He managed to successfully fight against the entirety of Team Guy with no arms
. After Sasori's death he was paired with Tobi, with whom he beat the Three-Tailed Beast. After a pitched battle with Sasuke, Deidara tries to defeat him by using his own body combined with his clay as a mini-nuke
. He fails; Sasuke survived by summoning the giant snake Manda to block the explosion.He was later revived by Kabuto's Edo Tensei, joining Kabuto in finding Killer Bee and Naruto, mistakenly believing he killed Sasuke with his final attack. During the Fourth Ninja World War he was teamed with Sasori and Shin, Sai's adopted brother. He was defeated by Sai and imprisoned by Kankuro until the Edo Tensei was ended.
- Art Attacker
- Badass: He didn't come to Akatsuki. Akatsuki came to HIM.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Brilliant but Lazy: Despite his power being instantaneous, he likes to takes things slow.
- Catch Phrase: "Art is a blast!" Doubles as his Famous Last Words.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: If everyone didn't keep saying "he", Deidara would be considered the second female member of the Akatsuki. Hell, he could pass off as Ino's evil twin.
- Evil Laugh: Not as often as Hidan, but still frequently.
- Faux Affably Evil: He's far from a sympathetic character, but he's often entertaining to watch.
- For the Evulz: Before being forcefully recruited into Akatsuki, he worked for various anti-government factions for no reason but the oppurtunity to blow things up, and Pain said his reason for fighting is "just because".
- Having a Blast: A lot of the time, and half of it comprises his Catch Phrase.
- Horse of a Different Color: Will perch himself on clay birds while he rains hell on his opponents.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: He gets pretty unhinged when he realizes that Itachi's Sharingan is more artful than his bombs.
- Large Ham
- Mad Artist: Of the belief that true art fades in an instant.
- Mad Bomber: His specialty, even before he joined Akatsuki.
- Pet the Dog: Right before pulling his Taking You with Me, he mentally apologizes to Tobi.
- Power Perversion Potential: He has hands with autonomous mouths (fully decked with teeth and tongue) in his palms, and another in his chest. Freud Was Right.
- Psycho for Hire: Of the Terrorist Without A Cause variety.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Felt this way about Orochimaru, partly because his departure resulted in him being forced to join Akatsuki.
- He also wanted to use his most powerful techniques on Itachi and Sasuke, only because he hated the Sharingan.
- Screaming Warrior
- Shout-Out: To Japanese artist Tarô Okamoto. Deidara's Catch Phrase is a quote, while his ultimate explosion has the shape of Okamoto's Tower of the Sun.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Does occasionally happen.
- Taking You with Me: Attempted on Sasuke, but it didn't work.
- Terrorist Without A Cause: Pain says his reason is "Just Because".
- The Sociopath
- The Dark Chick:Acts like this even though he looks like one.Bascially he dosen't really care about his leaders' cause and served this in the Zombified Akatsuki.
- Too Many Mouths: Has mouths on his palms. And one over his heart for his Suicide Attack.
- Verbal Tic: Adds "hm" to the end of every other sentence, hm.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: He's the first really challenging opponent for Sasuke in Part II.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: in the recent filler episode during the Shinobi World War, he ponders the fact that his Edo Tensei body will never age or decay, and cannot even be permenently destroyed. Played with, as his angst isn't so much about the pains of living forever as much as it is the fact that the concept of his newfound immortality (such as it is) clashes with his view of art.
"Hidan, anyone with a brain would know that the world revolves around money!
Kakuzu is a Nigh Invulnerable
and almost immortal Bounty Hunter
who cares only about money. He is old enough to have once fought the First Hokage, and can make his body as hard as stone
and extend his body into thred-like tendrils
. The source of his immortality is his ability to incorporate other peoples' hearts into his body, extending his lifespan and allowing him to use their elements. Paired with Hidan due to his habit of killing his other partners, he captured the Two-Tailed Cat and attempted to go after the Nine-Tailed Fox, but was crippled by Naruto's newest Rasengan variant, and killed by Kakashi. He was revived by Kabuto's Edo Tensei and sent to fight alongside Kinkaku and Ginkaku, but was sealed.
"As the other dies, their agony radiates through my body, and living through it is pure ecstasy!
Voiced by: Masaki Terasoma
(JP), Chris Edgerly (EN), Víctor Martínez (Spain)
An immortal ninja who wields a Sinister Scythe
, Hidan is murderously insane
and follows a Religion of Evil
. Foul-mouthed and arrogant, he hates
his partner, Kakuzu
just about everyone. Fuelling his immortality is a gruesome
ritual that can transfer injuries to his enemies, and being immortal he can survive even losing his head
. He kills Asuma with this power, and in revenge Shikamaru dismembers him and buries
the still-speaking pieces alive
. And it seems that he's still not dead: Kabuto is able to bring back to life almost every defeated member of Akatsuki EXCEPT him
- And I Must Scream: Buried alive while being kept living by his immortality.
- Another Man's Terror: Hidan experiences his victims' final moments. Though he doesn't exactly feel terror from the experience.
- Asshole Victim: His fate is absolutely horrific and would be a clear-cut Moral Event Horizon if it happened to a nicer person, but let's face it, Hidan was a total douchebag who was absolutely asking for it.
- Ax-Crazy: The most openly deranged member of the group.
- Blade on a Stick: Carried a collapsible spike in order to inflict precise self injury.
- Blood Knight: Fighting is quite literally all he lives for, and the specific reason why he left his village in the first place.
- Blood Magic: Uses his opponent's blood to link his body with theirs, and typically uses his own to draw the circle.
- Bloodbath Villain Origin: Killed his fellow villagers because they made the village into a bathing resort...BECAUSE it meant no more violence.
- The Brute: He and Kakuzu fulfill this role for Akatsuki early on, although he's more of the traditional Dumb Muscle.
- Chew Toy: Official Title in Akatsuki. Kakuzu when enraged would kill his partners. Solution: Give him an immortal one. An obnoxious, swearing, religious nut one. A strange amalgamation of stress reliever/punishment apparently.
- Cluster F-Bomb: In some fan translations.
- Combat Sadomasochist: "Let me feel your pain!"
- Confusion Fu: He swings around his scythe on a long cord, making it fly around unpredictably, and thus making it tougher to block.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Well, subverted in that he cannot die, but being blown up to pieces and buried while alive certainly is cruel and unusual.
- Dumb Muscle: Played for laughs, though he really is stupid.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He doesn't condone blasphemy or attacking priests. Although he stil willingly does the latter when he thinks he can get a good fight out of it.
- Evil Albino
- Evil Gloating: Kakuzu is really irritated about that.
- Evil Laugh: A particular offender.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Word of God states that his head will rot before his immortality runs out.
- For the Evulz: His religion seems to be built around a sadistic god who encourages his followers to murder For the Evulz.
- Giggling Villain
- The Grim Reaper: What his ritual does as a type of One-Winged Angel.
- Hypocritical Humor: Once cracks a joke about his enemies attacking clergymen. Of course, his religious dogma is Thou Shalt Massacre Thy Neighbor.
- Immortality: Type 6.
- Irony: That fancy immortality of his? It's the only thing that's keeping him from being brought back with the other beaten Akatsuki by Kabuto, meaning that he's stuck where Shikamaru buried him until he dies from malnutrition.
- Jerk Ass: When he isn't killing something, he is arguably the biggest asshole in the series.
- Large Ham: He really hams it up once he starts his ritual, even Shikamaru calls him out for this.
- Laughably Evil
- The Law of Diminishing Defensive Effort: Thanks to his arrogance over being immortal.
- Leeroy Jenkins: He's the most impulsive member of the organization.
- Leitmotif: "Hidan"
- Licking the Blade: It's necessary for his ritual.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Whenever he is injured, though he does feel the pain. Justified, as he's immortal.
- Mr. Fanservice: sort of, given he's an almost Walking Shirtless Scene.
- Obligatory Swearing: In many fanlations, less so in Viz translations, to convey his very rude way of talking.
- Psycho for Hire
- Psychopathic Manchild: Has a tendency to act like a teenager enjoying an adrenaline rush, complete with much smack talk and "woo-hoo"ing.
- Religion of Evil: Follows the religion of Jashin, which literally means "evil god", and requires killing his opponents.
- Religious Bruiser: See Religion of Evil above.
- Sinister Scythe: Weapon of Choice, more for drawing blood than fatally injuring opponents. Has three blades.
- Smug Snake: Not only is he a loudmouthed psychopath, but he's also an arrogant dick who thinks that he's invincible.
- Synchronization: Once he uses his Blood Magic.
- Those Two Bad Guys: With Kakuzu.