Here is a list of characters who appear in the Tonari No Kaibutsukun
The female protagonist of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. As far as Shizuku is concerned, grades and studying are the only things that warrant her attention. She finds friends to be unnecessary and cannot find meaning in making connections with others. As a result, she acts indifferent and dismissive, earning her the nickname "dry ice" among her peers from an early age. After meeting the class delinquent Haru to deliver some class handouts, she is often put-off and at times horrified by his monstrous behavior. However, after seeing that he is actually well-meaning and kind under his extremely coarse behavior, she shows him kindness, and he responds by saying he is attracted to her. Despite herself, Shizuku finds that her perspective in life starts changing as she interacts with Haru, and she eventually becomes attracted to him as well. However, Shizuku and Haru never seem to be on the same page when it comes to their feelings, leading to an unbalanced romance between the two.
Tropes associated with Shizuku:
- Berserk Button: Shizuku's studies are always her top priority, so she doesn't take kindly to them being interrupted or made light of.
- Birds of a Feather: With Yamaken.
- Brutal Honesty: Shizuku can be extremely blunt, so sometimes her honesty comes off as insensitive.
- The Comically Serious
- Control Freak: A big part of Shizuku's character is her need for stability and control. As Shizuku's growing feelings for Haru start affecting her concentration in school, she starts avoiding him as she can't quite deal with her feelings and her schoolwork at the same time.
- Cool Big Sis: Takaya views his sister in a favorable light and admires her, and for Shizuku's part, she tends to dote on him more than one would expect from her.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Emotionless Girl
- Friendless Background: Not that Shizuku herself actively sought out any friends. She felt more fulfillment from earning high marks than she did from spending time with her classmates.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good with Numbers: Often helps out her father with pricing in their store because she's good at it, and because it's good practice for her.
- In-Series Nickname: "Mitty" from Natsume.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Shizuku indeed is isolated from others, but she actually prefers this because she views her studies as a top priority and would rather not be distracted.
- Kid with the Leash: To Haru. It's also invoked in every volume cover.
- Loony Friends Improve Your Personality: It can be argued that Haru's (and Natsume's) influence helped her to open up to others, and when she steps back to observe this, she does seem to think that she is changing for the better.
- Missing Mom: Not so much missing as absent because she's constantly working. Shizuku gets calls at regular intervals from her mother, though her mother can also be insensitive and forget from time to time. Takaya hints that Shizuku is more disappointed by this than she lets on.
- Nerds Love Tough School Work: The one thing the moves her heart? Earning high marks in her classes.
- Not So Different: With Haru. The both of them create barriers that prevent others from becoming close to them.
- Odd Friendship: Mostly with Haru and Natsume.
- Opposites Attract: With Haru.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Natsume's and Haru's reds.
- Straight Man: Shizuku plays this to nearly every other character due to them all having varying quirks. The only ones who are probably just as or perhaps even more level than she is are Sasayan and Micchan.
- The Stoic: Downplayed as the story goes on, but she generally is well in-control of her reactions and emotions. This is why interacting with Haru ends up shaking her as much as it does; as she grows closer to him, her feelings are not as easily kept in check.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Tranquil Fury: When she's at her angriest, she tends to just be silent and glare at the target of her anger.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Uptight Loves Wild: For Haru.
- Well Done Daughter Girl: A case can be made that she is this to her mother. While her mother is proud of Shizuku and happy that she works hard, she is also distant from Shizuku and places her work as a top priority, leaving Shizuku disappointed when her mother is unable to show up for family events. Since Shizuku modeled herself and her work ethic after her mother, it may be that her mother's distance from her family also led Shizuku to create a similar dissociation from her peers.
The male protagonist of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. Stubborn, violent, and impulsive, Haru is the titular "monster" of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. Being suspended at the beginning of the school year, Shizuku delivers his class handouts and though he faces expulsion, he refuses to return to school up until he makes an emotional connection with Shizuku, at which point he declares that he likes her and begins attending school just so that he can spend more time with her. Going from one extreme to the next, he can be very troublesome and frightening to deal with, usually making threats and getting into fist fights with others. However, he has good intentions and wishes to connect with others, though he can be possessive of those he is close with, especially Shizuku, due to a lack of stability in his own personal life.
Tropes associated with Haru:
- Ambiguous Innocence: Haru's extreme innocence can occasionally cross over from adorable into disturbing.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Haru initially grows attached Shizuku because she stood up for him when his friends were treating him poorly and encouraged him to look forward to the time when he'd be surrounded by true friends. However, his situation actually leads to an obsession with Shizuku rather than truly liking her, and it takes time for him to develop real romantic feelings towards her.
- Berserk Button: If you do anything to hurt Haru's friends, he will kill you. Especially if it's Shizuku.
- Chick Magnet: After he stops glaring at everyone all the time once Shizuku tells him that he should try smiling more. He ruins it though by going on an assault against a few bullies, leading the majority of the school to go back to fearing him, though this fear dies down after a while as he starts mellowing out.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Haru tends to come off as this, because of his lack of experience in normal social interaction.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: For Shizuku, especially when it comes to Yamaken. He even passingly mentions that while he can't break Shizuku's legs to keep her from running away from him, he would gladly do so to Yamaken.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Haru is a product of his family history, so at the beginning of the story, he is very socially awkward and emotionally stunted, putting it lightly.
- Ditzy Genius: Haru has No Social Skills but he is smarter than Shizuku grade-wise.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Shizuku.
- Forceful Kiss: On Shizuku.
- Friendless Background: Thus, Haru desires friends and deep connections with others.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: A serious problem for Haru starting out. As the story goes on, he has to work on controling his anger and not acting completely on his emotions.
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: A strangely averted case; Haru is intelligent because of his isolation. While Haru didn't attend any of his classes in middle school, he read about a lot of advanced subjects in his spare time and is thus far ahead of the rest of his classmates. This is in part due to the fact that he lived with his aunt, who was a professor at a university.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Haru is extremely rough around the edges and acts like a delinquent but really has a Hidden Heart of Gold.
- No Social Skills: This really cannot be understated.
- One Head Taller: Than Shizuku.
- Opposites Attract: With Shizuku.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Shizuku's blue.
- Stealth Hi/Bye
- Teen Genius
- Troubled, but Cute
- Yandere: In Haru's scariest moments, he shows flashes of this.
Voiced by: Atsumi Tanezaki
A girl who is in the same class as Haru and Shizuku. Self-proclaimed to be "hopelessly stupid" at her schoolwork, she begs Haru and Shizuku to tutor her for her retest, luring Haru with an invitation to a social meetup with her online friends. Though Haru's attempts at tutoring her fall short, Shizuku's more direct explanations and concise outlines help her pass, and she remains friends with the both of them from then afterward. As she is very attractive and receives many love confessions that she always rejects, she was bullied and ostracized by both her male and female classmates. Thus Asako wants nothing more than to make lots of female friends while having nothing to do with the opposite sex. As she had trouble making friends in real life, Asako turned to online blogging and often retreats to her site as a means to be popular and escape her real life troubles.
Tropes associated with Asako:
- Book Dumb
- Brainless Beauty: A surprisingly positively portrayed example. Asako is definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed, and she's constantly shown to have to take retests, but she dislikes her popularity with males and in spite of being Book Dumb, she cares very much for her relationships with her friends.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Though probably milder than most cases and definitely not as strange as Haru, Asako is still weird and can get a bit creepy sometimes. Shizuku once caught a glimpse of her typing a message on her blog that she still needed a couple of strands of Shizuku's hair in order to perform a ritual that would ensure they'd be best friends forever.
- Dude Magnet
- Does Not Like Men: Asako has a hatred for men due to the fact that guys asking her out. This often leads to girls hating her because she's popular with guys, and guys hating her because she rejects them.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Dresses up in this fashion for the cultural festival.
- Escapism: Asako would rather blog on the internet than deal with school.
Asako: Hmph! School is a joke! The online me is the real me! Online, I'm surrounded by friends and trusted by everyone. In that world, I'm just a normal girl who worries about things like her hair.
Shizuku: Wouldn't that be like living a lie?
Asako: Leave me alone.
- Fiery Redhead: Asako shows this, but only towards the people she cares about. She's cold to everybody else at school, because she hates attracting unnecessary attention from the boys.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Asako would love nothing better that to be surrounded by female friends. It certainly explains why she clings to Shizuku after they first meet.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: Though she can be a bit invasive, Asako is very well-meaning in her meddling.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Shizuku's blue.
- Shipper on Deck: Asako for Haru and Shizuku. She gets very upset when Sasayan questions how sincere Haru's feelings for Shizuku are.
- Unwanted Harem: The three guys who tend to follow Yamaken around are always ogling her, and she's never too thrilled about it.
A classmate of Shizuku and Haru. Souhei "Sasayan" Sasahara first approaches Shizuku while she was studying alone in the library during his baseball team's practice. As he went to the same middle school as Haru, he's interested in how Shizuku somehow "tamed" him, since he never showed up for any of his classes in his old school. Sasayan eventually becomes incorporated into the main group's social circle after helping build a chicken coop for the class's pet chicken along with the others. Friendly and laid-back, Sasayan is the most socially aware and is popular among his peers. Though not quite Wise Beyond His Years
, he is much more perceptive of the others' interactions and as a result is very good at concealing his own feelings from others.
Tropes associated with Sasayan:
- Book Dumb
- Brutal Honesty: Sasayan also does this if you get him angry enough.
- Nice Guy: Manages to get along with everyone to a degree that his friends often find incredible.
- Only Sane Man: Shares this role with Shizuku and Micchan.
Tropes associated with Yamaken:
Chizuru "Oojima" Ooshima
Tropes associated with Chizuru:
Voiced by: Tomoyuki Higuchi
Tropes associated with Micchan:
Tropes associated with Yuuzan: