Characters: The Vampire Diaries Other Characters
Click here to return to the character page.
open/close all folders
Katherine Pierce aka Katerina Petrova (portrayed by Nina Dobrev)
I will always look out for myself. If you're smart, you'll do the same.
Anna (portrayed by Malese Jow)
"Dracula was a complete wuss. Never showered. Very smelly."
- Action Girl: Anna is tough, capable and strong. She can kick ass and take names.
- Adorkable: Being a cute but geeky bookworm.
- Asian and Nerdy
- Back from the Dead: Not really back. She's a ghost that Jeremy sees in season three.
- Badass: Anna is capable of kicking ass even though she is small.
- Badass Adorable: Anna has her cute and adorable moments while she kicks ass.
- Badass Bookworm: Scholarly, nerdy intelligent and very much a bookworm.
- Badass Damsel: Anna is small and petite but she is capable of defending and fighting for herself when she has to.
- Becoming the Mask: Originally she befriended Jeremy in order to obtain his ancestor's journal but later, she really fell in love with him.
- Betty and Veronica: Anna could be seen as the Veronica to Bonnie's Betty for Jeremy's Archie.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She may look cute but do not underestimate her.
- Brainy Brunette: Anna is very smart, intelligent and quick. She also seems to be quite scholarly and loves research.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Anna is the Gentle Girl to Jeremy's Brooding Boy.
- Brown Eyes
- The Bus Came Back: As a ghost.
- Canon Foreigner: Anna doesn't exist in the books.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She seemed this way in regards to Jeremy and his relationships with both Bonnie and Vicki.
- Cute Bookworm: Anna loves to read and loves research.
- Cute Bruiser: Anna is very cute and adorkable but she can kick anyone's ass. She's not to be underestimated.
- The Cutie: Very much so.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Deadpan Snarker: She has her witty and sarcastic moments.
- The Determinator: Anna did everything to get her mother back from the tomb in which she was imprisoned in for over a century.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Towards Jeremy.
- Genki Girl: Especially when she gets excited.
- Genre Savvy: Anna is very knowledgable and smart.
- Girly Bruiser: She's feminine but also an Action Girl to boot and not to be underestimated.
- Girl Next Door: She appears this way, even though she is a vampire.
- Good Is Not Nice: Generally nice but don't cross her or get on her bad side.
- Good Is Not Soft
- Heel-Face Turn: Although she was never really evil, her love for Jeremy made her want to stay in Mystic Falls.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Like many other vampires, Anna sometimes wears leather jackets.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Immortality: Anna had the ability to live forever without physically aging. She is a Type V and Type X.
- Killed Off for Real: She is killed via stake through the heart by John Gilbert.
- Kill the Cutie: See Killed Off for Real.
- Love Hurts: In regards to Jeremy.
- Love Interest: To Jeremy in season one. Even after she died, Jeremy still considered Anna as the girl he always loved, despite being with Bonnie.
- Love Redeems: Anna isn't necessarily bad by any means, but her love for Jeremy definitely brought out the nicer and softer side of her, her humanity.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Anna represents this to brooding Jeremy in season one.
- Motor Mouth: Once Anna gets going, she can't stop especially something she finds important or something that she is passionate about.
- Mysterious Waif: In the beginning.
- Nerd: She is highly intelligent and is quite a bit of a bookworm.
- Nerds Are Sexy
- Nice Girl: Anna is generally nice and friendly however, don't get on her bad side.
- Official Couple: With Jeremy in season one. Sadly, she is tragically killed off at the end of the first season. Jeremy makes it clear that he still loves her despite her unexpected death and it takes many seasons for Jeremy to move on from Anna, even when Jeremy moved on with Bonnie in a relationship in season two.
- The One That Got Away: She is this to Jeremy.
- Only One Name: Her last name is never revealed.
- Perky Goth
- Pimped-Out Dress: During the 1864 flashbacks.
- Plucky Girl: Anna is very optimistic and upbeat.
- The Pollyanna: See Plucky Girl.
- Psychotic Love Triangle: With Bonnie and Vicki over the affections of Jeremy. Although Bonnie isn't psychotic, Vicki was certainly crossing the crazy line, especially as a ghost.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Really 700 Years Old: She knew Dracula who died before Katherine was turned.
- Second Love: To Jeremy. Vicki was the first.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Her relationship with Jeremy.
- Spirited Young Lady
- The Smart Girl: Anna is very intelligent.
- Tsundere: Type B, towards Jeremy.
- Waif-Fu: Small, cute and petite, but NOT to be underestimated and can kick major ass when she has to.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist
Pearl (portrayed by Kelly Hu)
"Mystic Falls is our home, Damon! They took that from us, our land, our home. It's time we rebuild!"
Isobel Flemming-Saltzman (portrayed by Mia Kirshner)
"I am selfish, and I'm obsessed, and I'm a horrible wife. But you love me anyway."
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: To Elena. Understandable considering that Isobel had Elena when she was only 16.
- In real life, Mia Kirshner is only 13 years older than Nina Dobrev, hence why Isobel looks insanely young next to the teenaged Elena.
- Action Mom: Sort of. Isobel will find herself involved in a lot of plans and missions, especially concerning Elena.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Isobel had a sexual relationship with Damon Salvatore.
- Almighty Mom
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Ambiguously Bi: Isobel seemed that she would have no problem experimenting with someone of the same sex.
- Ambiguously Evil: It was always really hard to tell what Isobel's true intentions were.
- Antagonistic Offspring: Elena is this to Isobel.
- The Baroness: Isobel is of the Sexpot flavour.
- Bastard Wife: To Alaric. She made Alaric think that she was dead for a long period of time, when in reality, she just wanted to be turned into a vampire out of selfishness. When Alaric reunited with Isobel for the first time after a long time, he called Isobel a "selfish bitch".
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Brainy Brunette: The Magnificent Bitch type.
- The Chessmaster: Being cunning and manipulative seems to run in the Petrova blood.
- Crazy-Prepared: Isobel was always planning and scheming.
- Dark Is Evil: Isobel is almost always wearing dark (especially black) clothing.
- Dark Mistress
- Deadpan Snarker
- Death by Irony: She is killed in the same way that the mystery man she employed was: compelled suicide.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Around both Alaric and Elena, Isobel's humanity and softer side come out.
- Depraved Bisexual: Strongly hinted at. Possibly an Actor Allusion to Mia Kirshner's role on The L Word.
- The Determinator
- Driven to Suicide: By walking into the sun.
- Elena, I Am Your Mother/Isobel, You Are My Mother: Elena discovers that Isobel is her biological mother in season one.
- Evil Feels Good
- Evil Is Petty: Some of Isobel's actions have been downright catty.
- The Fashionista: Isobel is rather trendy and fashionable in her clothing.
- Femme Fatale
- Green-Eyed Monster: Isobel admitted that she was jealous of Jenna over her relationship with Alaric.
- Green Eyes: Isobel's eye colour strongly reflect on her characterization.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Isobel seems to enjoy having fun and partying.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: To the point where we don't discover her true allegiance even after her death.
- Hello, Nurse!
- Ice Queen
- Immortality: Isobel as a vampire had the ability to live forever without physically aging. She is Type V and Type X.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Isobel was strongly fascinated with vampires and vampirism. So much that she declared herself dead and asked Damon to turn her into a vampire.
- It's All About Me: She has no problem screwing over anyone including her daughter and husband in order to help herself.
- Killed Off for Real
- Lack of Empathy: She has no compassion and feels absolutely no guilt in killing and feeding.
- Long Lost Parent: To Elena.
- The Lost Lenore: Her apparent death is the primary motivation for both John and Alaric's actions throughout season one.
- Manipulative Bitch: She's very manipulative and selfish, and usually finds what she wants.
- Missing Mom: To Elena.
- Ms. Fanservice: Some of her clothing are somewhat revealing.
- Mysterious Parent: To Elena.
- Never Found the Body: Alaric mentions this as why her murder was unsolved.
- Parental Abandonment: Isobel gave birth to Elena when she was a teenager. She then gave Elena up for adoption shortly after she was born. Elena was raised by the Gilberts.
- Show Some Leg
- The Snark Knight: Being sarcastic and snarky is in the Petrova blood.
- Teen Pregnancy: Isobel gave birth to Elena when she was only 16 years old.
- The Vamp
- Vampires Are Sex Gods
- Viral Transformation: Isobel was turned into a vampire by Damon.
- Woman in Black: Always dressed in black, she is a mysterious and menacing woman.
Rose (portrayed by Lauren Cohan)
" I can never forget it, what it's like to be human. It haunts me. It's the only thing that’s kept me going."
Alexia "Lexi" Branson
Alexia ‘Lexi’ Branson (portrayed by Arielle Kebbel)
"Because when you can hurt, you can love. Love, Stefan, that's the point."
Sage (portrayed by Cassidy Freeman)
"A woman isn’t just for food. She’s for pleasure."
- Action Girl
- Affably Evil
- Alpha Bitch: Oh so much.
- Ambiguously Bi: Sage seems to have an attraction towards the same sex. She seems to be highly experimental sexually.
- Anti-Villain: Possibly a Type I or Type II.
- Awesome McCoolname: She is named after a herb.
- Badass Damsel
- Badass Boast
- The Baroness: Sage is of the Sexpot flavour.
- Bastard Girlfriend
- Beauty Is Bad
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Blood from the Mouth
- The Chessmaster
- Consummate Liar
- The Corrupter: To Damon. Sage taught him how to be a bad or amoral vampire.
- Dark Action Girl
- The Dark Chick
- Dark Mistress
- Deadly Nosebleed
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Around Finn.
- The Determinator: She was determined to get Finn back at any cost.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Sage was strongly in love with Finn and waited 900 years to be reunited with him.
- Evil Counterpart: To Lexi. Sage was the one that corrupted Damon, turning him into the psychotic amoral vampire seen in Season 1. Lexi was the moral compass for Stefan who helped him regain his humanity after his Ripper days..
- Evil Feels Good/Evil Is Sexy
- Evil Is Petty
- Evil Mentor: For Damon.
- Evil Redhead
- Evil Wears Black
- False Friend: To Damon.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Femme Fatale: A rather tomboyish version.
- Fiery Redhead: Sage is very passionate and hot headed.
- Foil: To Lexi. Lexi was a moral mentor to Stefan while Sage was an immoral mentor to Damon.
- Friendly Enemy: To Damon.
- Gender Flip: In the novel series, Sage is a male character.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: It's Tess Mercer!
- Hot-Blooded/Hair-Trigger Temper: Despite not being overly emotional and sensitive, she seemed to be rather passionate, spunky and hot headed.
- Ice Queen
- Immortality: Sage has the ability to live forever without physically aging. She is a Type V and Type X.
- Jerkass —> Jerkass Façade: Although Sage is a manipulative bitch, much of it is a facade that she masks to hide her vulnerability. Sage is especially becomes vulnerable in regards to Finn.
- Killed Off for Real: After Finn is killed, she dies due to Finn's bloodline being broken by Matt.
- The Lad-ette: She's aggressive and likes boxing and betting.
- Manipulative Bitch
- Meaningful Name: Sage is a unisex name which means "healing herb", "wise one" and "wisdom".
- Ms. Fanservice
- Noble Demon
- One of the Boys
- One True Love: For Finn. She waited 900 years for him to return.
- Only One Name
- Passionate Sports Girl: Sage loves boxing, a very male-oriented sport.
- Really 700 Years Old: Since she knew Finn before he was daggered, that makes her at least 900 years old.
- Shadow Archetype: To Lexi, her Good Counterpart.
- Show Some Leg: One of Sage's seducing tactics.
- The Stoic: Doesn't show all that much emotion.
- Not So Stoic: When Finn dies, she loses her stoic demeanour and breaks down.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Sage is the Tomboy to Lexi's Girly Girl.
- Tsundere: Type A, primarily towards Finn.
- Undying Loyalty: Her love for Finn. She waited 900 years for him and never stopped loving him.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With both Damon and Finn.
- The Vamp
- Vampires Are Sex Gods
- Villainesses Want Heroes: Sage was in love with noble Finn for 900 years and never stopped loving him.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
- Woman in Black: Sage frequently, if not always, wears black clothing.
Silas (portrayed by Paul Wesley)
Also portrayed by: Raymond Scott Parks (illusory monster form)
, Jason Spisak (voice)
, David Alpay
, Candice Accola
, Steven R. McQueen
, Claire Holt
, Joseph Morgan
, Zach Roerig
, Marguerite MacIntyre
, Matt Davis
, Nina Dobrev
According to legend, Silas is the world's very first immortal being who started out as a very powerful warlock. His best friend Qetsiyah — who was obsessively in love with him — was the one who created the spell that granted him immortality, hoping that he in turn would grant her the same gift. However, Silas had fallen in love with another woman who was his true love, and was going to give her immortality instead of Qetsiyah so they could be together for eternity. Deeply enraged, jealous and vengeful, Qetsiyah murdered Silas' true love
and sealed Silas away with just one thing: the cure for his immortality.
Silas had two choices: take the cure and die, or stay immortal and sealed away. So Silas stayed alive and rotted for two thousand years
, becoming consumed and twisted with hate and vengeance. And if he ever gets out, it will spell The End of the World as We Know It
Amara (portrayed by Nina Dobrev)
Amara is the most distant ancestor of the Petrova bloodline and Silas' true love.
She was a handmaiden for Qetsiyah. Amara was the motivator behind Silas creating the very first spell of immortality. Amara is also the progenitor of the Petrova Doppelgänger bloodline, which spawned Tatia, Katherine and Elena.
- Acting For Three: Nina Dobrev is portraying Amara, the original Petrova, as well as her doppelgangers: Elena, the protagonist and Katherine, one of the major characters.
- And I Must Scream: Amara has been trapped inside of her body for over 2,000 years due to being the physical anchor for The Other Side. It seems as though Amara has suffered a similar tragic fate as her true love Silas.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: It has been said that Amara has been on the metaphysical plane for over 2,000+ years, a place where human souls go to after they die. The Other Side, which is a purgatory designed for supernatural beings (such as witches, warlocks, vampires, werewolves, etc) go to aftet they die, was created by Qetsiyah as a way for Silas to not be reunited in death with Amara shall Silas take the cure and die a mortal death.
- Amara finally dies after stabbing herself. She crosses over to the metaphysical plane. Sadly, Amara ends up alone and separated from her soulmate (Silas) for eternity, as Silas dies and crosses over to The Other Side, separating the "two fates" for eternity like Qetsiyah had wished and planned for over two millennia.
- Axe Crazy: In 5.06, Amara is shown to be highly unstable and crazy but this is understandable considering that Qetsiyah used Amara as the anchor for the Other Side because she needed something that was eternal and immortal (meaning Amara). This means that Amara has been trapped inside of her own body for over 2,000 years. That would make anyone go completely insane and crazy.
- Back from the Dead: It was revealed that Qetsiyah had not killed Amara but instead, desiccated and entombed her and used her as an anchor to bind The Other Side. Amara has awaken and has consumed the cure for immortality, which was in Silas' blood, and she is now a mortal human desiring to die.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: Amara was very beautiful and it could be assumed that she was also a good-hearted and innocent woman.
- Because Destiny Says So: Amara's relationship with Silas. Although Silas was engaged to be married to Qetsiyah, Silas true love and destiny was with Amara.
- Betty and Veronica: The love triangle between herself, Silas and Qetsiyah. Amara was the Betty to Qetsiyah's Veronica for Silas' Archie.
- Brought Down to Normal: Qetsiyah first cured her of immortality before killing her. Only according to Qestiyah. This turned out to be not true however.
- Brown Eyes: One of Amara's physical defining features. This same physical quality is found in all of the Petrova doppelgängers such as Tatia, Katherine and Elena.
- Cruel Mercy: As if forcefully curing Amara of her immortality wasn't enough, Qetsiyah brutally murdered her by slitting her throat and cutting her heart out. On top of it, Qetsiyah entombed Amara's true love, Silas, in darkness and then created The Other Side as a way to prevent Amara from ever being reunited with Silas in death should Silas take the cure and die of a mortal death. Turns out none of this was the truth and was only according to the legend of Silas. Amara's fate was actually much worse. Qetsiyah desiccated Amara, entombed her and than used her as the physical anchor for her spell to bind The Other Side. Therefore, Amara was not only starving and desiccating as an immortal being, but she was also experiencing every single supernatural death for over 2,000 years. That is much, much, much worse than actual death. Qetsiyah killing Amara would be tame in comparison to the actual fate Amara ended up suffering for centuries. Amara's 2,000 year old fate also makes Silas' 2,000 fate look like Disneyland by comparison.
- Death by Woman Scorned: Amara was murdered by Qetsiyah out of jealousy and anger. [[spoiler: Turns out this was just the legend of Silas and Qetsiyah did not kill Amara but rather she used Amara as the physical anchor for the Other Side, making Amara experience every single supernatural death for over 2,000 years.
- Death Is Dramatic: The way Qetsiyah described how she killed Amara was brutal. After Qetsiyah cured Amara of her immortality, she slit Amara's throat and cut out her heart. When Silas discovered Amara's brutal murder, he was extremely devastated.
- Death Seeker: Since Amara has been awaken and taken the cure for immortality, Amara is desperate to die after being trapped in her own body for over 2,000 years.
- Doomed by Canon: From the legend of Silas, it is clear that Amara's fate is a tragic one, even if the legend happened to not be true.
- Doppelgänger: Technically, Tatia, Katherine and Elena are all doppelgangers of Amara, who is the progenitor of the Petrova doppelgängers.
- Driven to Suicide: Amara's endless suffering as the physical anchor to the Other Side has made Amara yearn for death more than anything else. And in 5.07, Amara finally ends her 2,000 year suffering by stabbing herself and killing herself.
- Eternal Love: Amara wanted to live for eternity with her true love Silas, so she consumed the immortality elixir. Sadly, Amara was brutally murdered when Qetsiyah discovered that Silas had given the gift of immortality to Amara instead of her. [[spoiler; Turns out that Qetsiyah lied and faked Amara's death and used Amara as the anchor for the Other Side.]]
- Fate Drives Us Together: The relationship between her and her true love Silas is built on the concept of destiny and fate. This concept also extends to her and Silas' doppelgänger bloodlines.
- Fate Worse Than Death: It is revealed in 5.06 that Amara has been alive this whole time and that Qetsiyah had lied to Silas and faked her death. Qetsiyah instead used Amara as an anchor for the spell in creating the Other Side. As a result, Amara has been suffering due to being trapped in her own body for over 2,000 years, which has clearly caused much trauma psychologically, emotionally and mentally for Amara. It seems as though Amara has suffered a similar tragic fate, a fate worse than actual death, as her true love Silas has, who was entombed in darkness for two millennia, starving and desiccating.
- At the ending of 5.07, as it turns out, she had had it much worse than Silas. Because she was the anchor to the Other Side, she experienced every single supernatural death. For 2,000 years. All the while starving and desiccating. It's little wonder why she went insane.
- First Of Its Kind: Amara is the first female immortal in the world.
- Foil: To Qetsiyah.
- The Gwen Stacy: For Silas. She was murdered before Silas could do anything to stop Qetsiyah.
- Hello, Nurse!: Amara was very beautiful.
- Hereditary Curse: Like Silas, as a result of Amara consuming the immortality elixir, nature created a doppelganger bloodline for Amara which would be passed down the Petrova bloodline.
- Identical Granddaughter: Tatia, Katherine and Elena are physically identical to Amara. This is because Amara is very distant ancestor to Tatia, Katherine and Elena.
- Immortality: Amara became a true immortal alongside Silas and became the world's very first immortal woman.
- Interspecies Romance: With Silas before they both became immortal. Silas was a warlock and Amara was a human.
- Kill the Cutie: Qetsiyah killed Amara out of pure rage and jealousy.
- Killed Off for Real: Amara dies after she stabs herself. She crosses over to the metaphysical plane to find peace but sadly and tragically, does not end up with her true love Silas, as he has died and crossed over to The Other Side and is stuck with Qetsiyah for eternity.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Amara is the Light Feminine to Qetsiyah's Dark Feminine.
- The Lost Lenore: For Silas.
- Love at First Sight: With Silas.
- Love Triangle: Involved in the most tragic one of the series (between herself/Silas/Qetsiyah).
- Meaningful Name: The name Amara is a feminine name of Greek origin which means "eternally beautiful". Ironically, Amara was an immortal before she was brutally and tragically murdered.
- The Mentally Disturbed
- Monster Progenitor: Amara is the progenitor of the Petrova Doppelgänger bloodline, which spawned Tatia, Katherine, and Elena.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Qetsiyah brutally murdered Amara out of jealousy because Silas was madly in love with her and not Qetsiyah.
- The Ojou
- The Older Immortal: Along with Silas. Amara was the very first immortal woman in the world.
- One True Love: For Silas.
- Only One Name
- Plot Triggering Death: Amara's death is the whole motivation behind Silas' story and him committing the actions he has in both season four and five.
- Posthumous Character
- Proper Lady
- Psychotic Love Triangle: And how! Both Amara and Qetsiyah were deeply and passionately in love with Silas, although Qetsiyah's love for Silas was more to the If I Can't Have You, Murder the Hypotenuse, and Yandere levels.
- The Reveal: It was revealed that Amara was Silas' true beloved and that she is the original Petrova.
- Reincarnation Romance: With Silas.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: In regards to her true love, Silas.
- Starcrossed Lovers: With Silas OH SO MUCH. In fact, Silas and Amara should be the Trope Codifier. They could give Romeo and Juliet a serious run for their money.
- Strong Family Resemblance: With Elena and Katherine. Amara is the physical spitting image of both; this is because she is a very distant ancestor to both of them.
- Supernatural Is Purple
Nadia Petrova (portrayed by Olga Fonda)
Nadia is Katherine Pierce's long lost daughter and is also a vampire. She was born in Bulgaria in the year 1490, which makes her 521 years old. Nadia was given away after Katherine gave birth to her. After 500 years, Nadia has sought out Katherine and has revealed to her that she is her long lost daughter of 500 years.
- Action Fashionista: Nadia seems to love fashion and clothing.
- All Women Are Lustful: See Anything That Moves. Nadia seems to enjoy many sexual encounters.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Nadia is aloof, domineering and icy.
- Ambiguously Bi: Seems to enjoy flings with both men and women.
- Ambiguously Evil
- Anything That Moves: She's a highly sexual individual.
- Badass Damsel: Nadia is capable of kicking ass and defending herself.
- The Baroness: Nadia is rather domineering and sensual. She is of the Sexpot breed.
- Brutal Honesty: Doesn't hesitate to say exactly what is on her mind.
- Dark Action Girl: She's badass, tough, kicks ass and takes names, much like her mother, Katherine.
- The Dark Chick
- Dark Mistress
- Deadpan Snarker: Nadia is rather sarcastic and snarky, a trait she must have inherited from Katherine.
- Depraved Bisexual: Nadia appears to be bisexual. She engages in flings with both men and women, as seen with Matt and Rebekah.
- The Dragon/Dragon with an Agenda: For Silas, the Big Bad. She quickly betrays him and kidnaps Katherine for herself as she was only using Silas to see her long-lost mother.
- Emotionless Girl: At first. When she reveals the truth to Katherine about being her daughter, her more emotional side comes out.
- Femme Fatale: Nadia uses her feminine wiles and her sexuality in order to get what she wants.
- Hello, Nurse!: Nadia is a very physically attractive woman.
- Ice Queen —> Defrosting Ice Queen
- Immortality: Nadia is a vampire. She is capable of living forever without physically aging. She is over 500 years old.
- Jerkass —> Jerkass Façade
- Like Mother, Like Daughter: Nadia has many of her mother, Katherine's personality traits. Nadia, like Katherine, is very manipulative, selfish, cunning, and scheming. They are also both vampires and seem to be highly sexual individuals.
- Long Lost Relative: Nadia is Katherine's daughter.
- Luke, You Are My Father: In 5.05, Nadia reveals to Katherine that she is Nadia Petrova, her daughter.
- Manipulative Bitch: Nadia is rather manipulative and scheming when she wants to be.
- Ms. Fanservice: Nadia is physically attractive, therefore, she appeals to the male audience.
- Sensual Slavs: Nadia is from Bulgaria.
- The Stoic: At first. She becomes less stoic when she reveals to Katherine that she is her daughter.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Nadia has a strong resemblance to Katherine, her mother.
- The Reveal: It is revealed in 5.05 that Nadia is Katherine's long lost daughter.
- The Vamp
- You Killed My Mother: Says this to Katherine. It was first revealed to a lie, but then revealed to be true because Katherine is her mother and she killed herself
The Augustine Vampire
A vampire who is part of Whitmore College's Augustine Society that killed Elena and Caroline's roommate.
Ray Sutton (portrayed by David Gallagher)
Brady (portrayed by Stephen Amell)
Hayley Marshall (portrayed by Phoebe Tonkin)
- Action Girl
- Becoming the Mask: She's starting to develop feelings for Tyler.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Klaus. They give into it in 4x16.
- Big, Badass Wolf: Though her transformation into a werewolf has never been shown on screen.
- Blessed with Suck: She's cursed with lycanthropy.
- Brainy Brunette
- But I Can't Be Pregnant!: After and she and Klaus sleep together, she discovers that she was knocked up, despite thinking Klaus was infertile. It turned that because Klaus was part werewolf, he could still breed
- Casting Gag: Phoebe Tonkin and Claire Holt (Rebekah) were both main characters in H2O - Just add water.
- The Chessmaster: She's actually very scheming and manipulative when she wants to be.
- Distaff Counterpart: To Tyler.
- Fake American: Played by Australian Phoebe Tonkin.
- Girl Next Door
- Good Bad Girl
- Green Eyes
- Happily Adopted: Hayley was adopted when she was a baby, therefore, she didn't know where she got the werewolf gene from.
- Heroic BSOD: Hayley has one when she discovers that she's pregnant.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: It's Faye Chamberlain!
- It's All About Me: She is rather selfish and do whatever it takes in order to get what she wants, including manipulating others.
- The Lad-ette
- Last of Her Kind: Probably not, but she's the only true werewolf left on the show as all of the others are hybrids. It's later revealed that she may be the last of an ancient family of werewolves due to a birthmark she has.
- Manipulative Bitch
- The Mentor: To Tyler. She helped him break his sire bond to Klaus.
- The Mole: She works for Professor Atticus Shane. Later, it's revealed that she's also one for Katherine. She's the one who tells her about Shane's plans and the cure for vampirism.
- Ms. Fanservice
- One of the Boys: Hayley seems to prefer the company of the opposite sex and doesn't seem to get on all that well with other girls.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Phoebe Tonkin is a very good actress but it seems like almost every other sentence is said in her natural Australian accent.
- Parental Abandonment: Both of her parents are deceased and her adoptive ones kicked her out and she first turned.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Tyler, sort of.
- The Runaway: Hayley's adoptive parents kicked her out of their house when she was younger after she had turned into a werewolf and wreaked havoc. She has been on her own ever since, joining different werewolf packs.
- Sexy Mentor: For Tyler.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Hayley is the Tomboy to Caroline's Girly Girl.
- Unwitting Pawn: For Professor Shane
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Katherine sends Will to kill Hayley when she feels that Hayley had stopped being useful in their plans. Subverted in the sense that Hayley doesn't end up getting killed or dying because she was rescued by Klaus.
Maddox (portrayed by Gino Anthony Pesi)
Gloria (portrayed by Charmin Lee & Enisha Brewster)
Qetsiyah/Tessa (portrayed by Janina Gavankar)
Have you not been listening to me? I have trust issues. I'm controlling and paranoid and a little crazy!....And that's working out just fine.
Qetsiyah was Bonnie's ultimate ancestor, and the first witch who discovered the spell to grant a person immortality. She was deeply and obsessively in love with her best friend Silas, who was a powerful warlock. She made him immortal in the hopes that he'd grant her the same gift. When Silas decided to give immortality to another woman who was his true love, she didn't take it too well at all.
The actions that Qetsiyah took as a result are the driving force for season four's main plot. At least, that's the story according to Silas. As far as Qetsiyah is concerned, Silas seduced her and made her believe that their love was real and could last forever. She created the immortality elixir, so they could both drink it on their wedding night. She ended up jilted at the altar and discovered that not only had Silas lied to her all along, he'd shared the immortality elixir with someone else...Amara, her own handmaiden and the ultimate ancestor of the Petrova doppelganger line. After Bonnie lowered the veil, Qetsiyah left the other side and became mortal again, and is now determined to finish off what she and her Hunters started over two thousand years ago.
- Aerith and Bob: With Silas. While Silas' name is pretty normal sounding, Qetsiyah is a very unique and original sounding name.
- She tends to agree and decides that she wants to be called Tessa instead.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Qetsiyah was passionately (more like obsessively) in love with Silas, but Silas did not love her and was in love with another woman (who was his true love and soulmate).
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Qestiyah is a cold, ruthless and icy individual.
- Alpha Bitch: OH SO MUCH. In fact, Qetsiyah is probably a bigger bitch then Rebekah and Katherine combined. She's also currently the most powerful female character in the series.
- Always Second Best/Always Someone Better: In regards to Silas' lover. Qetsiyah loved Silas but Silas loved someone else, despite Qetsiyah being his best friend and helping him become immortal out of love for him.
- In 5.03, Qetsiyah tells Damon that Silas and Amara's doppelgangers - currently Stefan and Elena - have been finding each other and falling in love throughout the ages. Destiny will always push them together and, as she bitterly states, people like her and Damon are 'just the conflict that makes their story interesting'.
- Ambiguously Brown: Since Qetsiyah is an Arabic name, it could be assumed that Qetsiyah is of Arabic of Mediterranean descent.
- Ambition Is Evil: Qetsiyah's ruthlessness and determination to kill Silas for over 2,000 years has caused suffering and pain to others.
- Artifact of Attraction/Artifact of Doom: Qetsiyah created the cure for immortality and buried it with Silas when she entombed him in darkness, in hopes that Silas would take the cure, die a mortal death and cross over to the Other Side, which is a purgatory for supernatural beings (such as witches, vampires, werewolves, etc).
- Awesome McCoolname: Qetsiyah is a pretty unique and original name.
- Axe Crazy: Considering that Qetsiyah murdered an innocent woman because Silas was in love with her obviously qualifies Qetsiyah as being on the crazy, psychotic side.
- Badass: Qetsiyah is the ultimate ancestor of the Bennett bloodline, and the one of the first witches who discovered how to give a person immortality. She's also the one who created 'The Other Side', the place supernaturals go to when they die. She was also responsible for creating The Five, which are a group of supernatural hunters who are meant to find and kill Silas (by getting him to take the cure and go to The Other Side) out of revenge on Qetsiyah's behalf.
- Badass Boast: Qetsiyah's powers sure measure up to her ego.
- The Bad Guy Wins: She even says the words "I won" as she dies.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Qetsiyah is a very powerful witch but she uses her powers for bad and she doesn't have good intentions.
- Bastard Girlfriend: To Silas according to the flashbacks. Qetsiyah got jealous and killed Amara because she was in love with Silas and Silas was in love with her.
- The Baroness: Of the Sexpot flavour.
- Batman Gambit: She told Silas that she had killed Amara in order to get him to take the cure. Instead she didn't kill Amara and just desiccated her. She wanted to punish Amara with an eternity without Silas and only after Silas took the cure was it revealed that she was alive
- Beauty Is Bad: Qetsiyah is very physically beautiful but she is very vindictive, vengeful, jealous, spiteful and crazy.
- Berserk Button: When Qetsiyah discovered that Silas didn't love her and had loved someone else, Qetsiyah didn't take it well at all.
- The Berserker: When Qetsiyah discovered that Silas didn't love her and loved another, she lashed out against Silas in the most cruel way imaginable: killing Silas' true love and then entombing the immortal Silas in darkness for eternity, leaving him to starve and desiccate.
- Betty and Veronica: The love triangle between herself, Silas and Amara. Qetsiyah is the Veronica to Amara's Betty for Silas' Archie.
- Bigger Bad: Qetsiyah served as this during the course of season four. Although, Silas was the main villain of season four, Qetsiyah was the bigger threat despite not being onscreen. Her actions basically drive the purpose of the plot of the fourth season.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Qetsiyah and Silas are expected to be this in season five, since she so far has stepped down from Bigger Bad status.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Qetsiyah helped Silas to create the immortality spell out of love for him. As soon as she discovered that Silas loved someone else and not her, her true, psychotic and crazy colours showed.
- Black Magic: This is the type of magic Qetisiyah seems to practice.
- Black Magician Girl: Qetsiyah is not to be underestimated. She is an extremely powerful witch.
- Brutal Honesty: Qetsiyah doesn't seem to shy away from spilling the truth tea and she is rather blunt and frank.
- The Chessmaster: From what we have been told, Qetsiyah was very scheming, cunning and manipulative.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Oh so much in regards to Silas. In fact, this trope might not even be enough to describe Qetsiyah. She was more along the lines of Murder the Hypotenuse, Stalker with a Crush and If I Can't Have You levels.
- Crazy-Prepared: Qetsiyah was a very powerful witch who helped create the first immortal being in the world (Silas), created her very own talisman, created the Other Side for supernatural beings as a supernatural purgatory for all supernatural beings to go to when they die, creating the cure for immortality, burying or sealing Silas in a tomb with the cure, and also creating a group of supernatural vampire hunters (The Five) in order for them to find Silas and kill him with the cure so that he would end up on the Other Side with her for eternity. It should also be mentioned that the main reason Qetsiyah created The Other Side was so that if Silas should take the cure and die a mortal death, he would end up with her on The Other Side forever and not with his true love who was human.
- Cruel Mercy: Since Silas couldn't be killed, she cast a spell and entombed him in darkness, leaving him an eternity of loneliness and misery. Not only that, but Qetsiyah killed Silas' true love before Silas could do anything to stop her. Due to Silas being immortal and needing blood as a source to survive, he was also left to starve and desiccate in darkness for eternity, which is a much crueller punishment than death itself. See Fate Worse Than Death and And I Must Scream
- Cute and Psycho: Qetsiyah may be attractive, but boy, is she a little on the unpredictable and crazy side.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Qetsiyah seems to be very aware of what is going on, but that is probably because she has been spying on the physical world from The Other Side for over 2,000 years. Not to mention that she is a powerful witch who knows a variety of different spells. Hell, Qetsiyah created the spell of immortality, the cure for immortality, and The Other Side.
- Dark Action Girl: Qetsiyah is a very powerful witch who is completely crazy, unpredictable and psychotic.
- The Dark Chick: In opposition to Amara, who could be seen as The Chick.
- Dark Is Evil: Qetsiyah seems to be wearing darker colours in the modern day.
- Deadpan Snarker: When we first meet her.
- Death by Woman Scorned: When Qetsiyah discovered that Silas loved another (Amara) instead of her, she killed Amara and then entombed Silas by burying him alive with the cure so he would suffer.
- Desperately Craves Affection: More like Desperately Craves Silas' Affection. Unfortunately for Qetsiyah, Silas never loved her and Qetsiyah's feelings for Silas were always (and still are) unreciprocated but that does not stop Qetsiyah from doing everything and anything to get Silas to be with her for all of eternity, basically by force.
- The Determinator: Qetsiyah was so determined for Silas to love her and be with her for eternity that she murdered Silas' true love, Amara, created the cure for immortality so that Silas would take it and die, created the Other Side so that Silas would take the cure, die a mortal death and cross over to the Other Side so that Silas would end up with her in supernatural purgatory for eternity instead of with his human mortal true love, created a group of supernatural hunters (The Brotherhood Of The Five) to find, cure and kill Silas so that he would end up on the Other Side with her. Qetsiyah is this trope to the most extreme levels.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Qetsiyah didn't just get even with Silas for betraying her, she got ultimate revenge by killing Silas' lover out of anger, jealousy and spite and entombing Silas in darkness for eternity.
- The Dreaded: The name Qetsiyah is enough to make others quake in fear, as she is known to be one of the most powerful (and unpredictable and crazy) witches of all time.
- Driven by Envy: Intense jealousy and envy over Silas loving someone else and not her is what drove Qetsiyah to murder an innocent woman.
- Driven to Villainy: Although we don't know the full story of why Qetsiyah became psychotic, it could be because she was simply deeply hurt and betrayed when she discovered that the man that she loved more than anything (Silas) didn't love her back and decided to give the gift of immortality to his true love over her, who was his best friend.
- Eternal Love: Qetsiyah desired this with Silas more than anything, hence why she created the spell for immortality. Unfortunately, Silas didn't love her and wanted to grant the gift of immortality to Amara instead.
- Ethnic Magician: Since Qetsiyah is Bonnie's ancestor, it's assumed that she is of African descent.
- Although, it is not certain that Qetsiyah was of African descent since her name is of Arabic origin and her native tongue or language was Aramaic (which is an ancient language which is Semitic and could be Arabic, Hebrew, Ethiopic, and Akkadian, which is Assyrian and ancient Babylonian) according to Klaus, the symbols and language on The Hunter's Sword. So, it could be possible that Qetsiyah was actually of Arabic or Middle Eastern descent.
- Aramaic language can be spoken in parts of the Middle East such as Syria, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, Jordan and Palestine.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Qetsiyah DID NOT take it well when she discovered that Silas wanted to grant another woman immortality instead of her. For Qetsiyah, this was the betrayal that drove her to become psychotic and vengeful towards Silas and his true love.
- Also felt this way towards Amara, her handmaiden.
- Evil Feels Good/Evil Is Sexy: Qetsiyah is beautiful despite being extremely psychotic, vengeful and crazy.
- Evil Former Friend: To Silas. In fact, Qetisyah was deeply in love with Silas and was even engaged to be married to him. Whether Silas and Qetsiyah was an arranged marriage is unknown but is highly possible. Qetsiyah had created the spell of immortality for Silas out of love for him. Unfortunately for Qetsiyah, Silas betrayed her when he made himself and his true love, Amara, immortal instead of her. Qetsiyah did not take Silas' betrayal very well and has been wanting to get revenge on Silas for over 2,000 years.
- Evil Is Petty: Qetsiyah is very vengeful and vindictive. The fact that she killed an innocent woman over a man speaks volumes of her personality.
- Evil Versus Evil: With Silas, the Big Bad. Both Silas and Qetsiyah are in a major battle for the cure and neither will stop until they both get it. The reason Silas wants to obtain the cure is that so he can take the cure, drop The Veil, destroy The Other Side, die a mortal death and cross over to be with Amara in death for eternity. Qetsiyah, on the other hand, wants to force the cure down Silas' throat, turn him a mortal again, kill Silas so that he would end up on The Other Side, and possibly kill herself so she could go back to being on The Other Side so Silas is forced to spend an eternity with her and not Amara.
- Evil Witch: It is clear that Qetsiyah is very vengeful, hateful, crazy and psychotic.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Qetsiyah is very beautiful, but she is completely psychotic, manipulative and crazy.
- Faux Affably Evil: Qetsiyah can be polite and courteous when she wants to be. However, underneath her stoic, polite or calm demeanour is a very psychotic and emotionally unstable individual.
- Femme Fatale: Qetsiyah seems to be a bit of a seductress, especially in the flashbacks.
- Foil: To Amara, Silas' true love.
- Friend Versus Lover: Qetisyah was Silas' friend who was in love with him. But Silas was in love with another woman. Qetsiyah was a rival to Silas' true love for Silas' affections. She murdered Silas' lover out of pure anger, rage and jealousy when she discovered that Silas loved someone else and not her.
- The Ghost: Qetsiyah has never been seen on screen, despite being a major driving force in season four's plot and storyline. Subverted as of season five.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: On The Hunters Mark, it depicts Qetsiyah killing Silas' lover with some kind of a weapon, most likely a knife.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Qetsiyah is a VERY jealous and envious person by nature.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Qestiyah is very easily angered and unpredictable.
- Hello, Nurse!: See Ms. Fanservice.
- Hot-Blooded: Qetsiyah is very impulsive, passionate, short tempered, unpredictable and overly emotional.
- Hot Girls Are Bitches: Although Qetsiyah is very beautiful, she is a BIG TIME bitch.
- Ice Queen: Qetsiyah is very ruthless, cold, calculating and icy.
- Insane Equals Violent: Qetsiyah is both crazy and violent. She ended up brutally murdering an innocent woman (Amara) over a man who didn't even love her (Silas) by slitting her throat and cutting out her heart. Insane and violent much?
- If I Can't Have You: In regards to Silas. See Murder the Hypotenuse, Yandere and The Determinator.
- It's All About Me: Qetsiyah was extremely selfish and vengeful. She was extremely obsessed with Silas and wanted Silas all to herself, so much so that she ended up killing Silas' true love out of anger, jealousy and revenge. Not only that, but Qetsiyah ended up creating The Other Side (a place where supernatural beings go to after they die and have been suffering for over 2,000 years) all because Qetsiyah couldn't bear the thought of Silas being reunited in death with Amara.
- Kick the Dog/Kick Them While They Are Down: As if murdering Silas' true love wasn't enough, Qetsiyah buried Silas alive in darkness, leaving him to desiccate and fossilize. It turns out that Qetsiyah didn't murder Amara but she did make Amara suffer as much, if not more, as Silas did. Qetisyah used Amara as an anchor for the Other Side, which made Amara experience every single supernatural death. This means that because of Qetsiyah, Amara suffered for two thousand years desiccating and starving and seeing endless dead supernatural beings. That is what you call a fate worse than death for both Silas and Amara.
- Killed Off for Real: Qetsiyah kills herself after cutting herself and experiencing a loss of blood. She ends up crossing over to the Other Side. Silas, who also died, is now stuck with Qetsiyah on the Other Side for all eternity and is separated from his one true love (Amara) forever.
- Lack of Empathy: Qetsiyah showed zero remorse for murdering an innocent woman out of vengefulness, jealousy and spite.
- Lady of Black Magic: Qetsiyah is said to be one of the most powerful witches of all time, according to Silas.
- Lady of War: In the flashbacks, Qetsiyah appeared to be this during 1st century B.C.
- Light Is Not Good: Wears lighter colours but does not have good intentions.
- Love Hungry: Qetsiyah was obsessed with Silas to dangerous and psychotic proportions.
- Love Makes You Crazy: She murdered an innocent woman, the woman who Silas loved more than anything, and then sealed Silas away before he could do anything about it.
- Love Makes You Evil: Qetsiyah killed someone over a man for God's sake.
- Love Martyr: For Silas. Qetsiyah admitted that she would do anything for him. She even created the very first spell of immortality just because Silas asked her to.
- Love Triangle/Psychotic Love Triangle: The love triangle between Silas, Qetsiyah and Amara. Could be referred to as the original (and most tragic) love triangle of the series.
- Magic Is Evil
- Manipulative Bitch: She manipulated and lured Silas onto an island and entombed him with the cure, where Silas ended up desiccating for over 2,000 years.
- The Mentally Disturbed: It is clear that Qetsiyah is crazy, unstable and psychotic.
- Ms. Fanservice: Qetsiyah is physically attractive and appealing to the male audience.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Does this to Silas' true love in the most brutal fashion as well.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Not Good With Rejection: Qetsiyah DID NOT take Silas not loving her back very well at all.
- Only One Name
- Opposites Attract Revenge: In regards to Qetsiyah and Silas' lover. It was taken to extreme levels since Qetsiyah ended up killing Silas true love out of anger and jealousy.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Silas. Although Qetsiyah was deeply and obsessively in love with him.
- Psychotic Love Triangle: Involved in the most unpredictable, crazy and tragic one of the entire series; the triangle between herself, Silas and Amara.
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: To Silas. Qetsiyah killed Amara and entombed Silas hoping that he would take the cure, kill himself so he would end up trapped on The Other Side for eternity with her instead of Amara. When Silas knew this was her intention, he decided to starve and desiccate for eternity instead just to spite Qetsiyah. But that did not stop Qetsiyah. She spent 2,000 years obsessing over Silas and now she has come back as a mortal being from The Other Side to finish off what she started 2,000 years ago in person.
- Removing the Rival: Qetsiyah killed Silas' true love, whom she deemed as competition for Silas' affections.
- The Resenter: Towards Silas, for betraying her.
- Revenge Before Reason: Qetsiyah is driven by revenge, as opposed to Silas, who despite being a villain, is driven by love.
- Rival Turned Evil: Qetsiyah was best friend with Silas, until she betrayed him by killing his true love and burying him alive to starve.
- Romantic False Lead: For Silas. Silas' true love was Amara.
- Romantic Runner-Up: To Amara for Silas.
- She Who Must Not Be Seen: Qetsiyah was a major driving force behind the plot of season four, however, she has never been seen on screen. She is expected to make an appearance during season five.
- Smug Smiler
- Smug Snake
- Smug Super
- The Sociopath
- Stalker with a Crush: For Silas. She was obsessed with him.
- Supernatural Is Purple
- Tragic Villain: Qetsiyah seemed to be a normal person in love with a man (Silas). However, Silas betrayed her and she became obsessed with Silas to psychotic proportions. Even though she has made her life and afterlife mission to destroy Silas' life as well as Amara's life, one can't hemp but feel sympathetic or sorry for her. Qetsiyah loved Silas for over 2,000 years and yet, he never loved her back.
- Unrequited Love: Qetsiyah was strongly in love (more like obsessed) with Silas but Silas didn't love her back, much to Qetsiyah's dismay.
- Unstoppable Rage: Qetsiyah's anger regarding Silas' betrayal is what drove her to resort to her extreme actions.
- Villainous BSOD: When Qetsiyah discovered that Silas was in love with Amara and not her and when she found out that both Silas and Amara betrayed her by taking the spell of immortality together.
- Villainous Crush: On Silas.
- Witch Species: Qetsiyah was a powerful witch who possessed the gift of magic.
- Woman Scorned: And how!
- Yandere: She was this for Silas, to such an extent that she created an afterlife called "The Other Side", just for supernaturals, so that if Silas did take the cure, he would be with her for eternity instead of the woman he really truly loved. She also made Silas horribly disfigured so no woman would love him again. Although Silas told Bonnie that the monstrous form was just an illusion and that he is not a disfigured monster.
The new leader of the Founder's Council in season four. He kills himself at the end of the premeire.
The new vampire hunter in town, show's up after the death's of Pastor Young and several members of the Founder's Council. He is later killed by Elena.
Pastor Young's daughter. She has quite the history with Elena, and is not aware of the existance of vampires yet. She comes to Mystic Falls for her father's funeral
and is the only one who is willing to befriend Rebekah.
- Break the Cutie: In her very first episode, she was stabbed by Connor and left to bleed to death during her father's funeral in an attempt to draw out the town's vampires. After that, she's been bitten, attacked, held hostage, compelled more times than she can count and by episode 10, she is understandably upset when she discovers that all her friends have been lying to her.
- Buffy Speak
- Children Are Innocent: She tries to befriend Rebekah. You know the sister of Klaus. Although it's justified, she doesn't know about vampires yet. Though Rebekah does enjoy being her friend.
- The Cutie
- Genki Girl
- Girly Girl
- Girl Next Door
- Naïve Everygirl
- Nice Girl: April is a sweet, kind and caring girl to everyone around her.
- Plucky Girl
- The Pollyanna
- Preacher's Kid: Despite being one, this really has nothing to do with her character
- Spanner in the Works: Because she was wearing Jeremy's vervain necklace, she's immune to Caroline's attempt to compel her. Subsequently, she overhears the location of Rebekah's coffin and decides to investigate, before undaggering her
- Tagalong Kid
- Token Human: One of the few human characters left on the show.
Professor Atticus Shane
Professor Atticus Shane
Atticus is a professor or teacher that teaches at the university in which Bonnie's grandmother taught at. He is aware of the existance of vampires, witches and werewolves and was the one who sent Connor the Mystic Falls in the first place.
He has plans to help Bonnie with her guilt, although he has plans for her.
- Big Bad: They seem to be setting him up, but recently he seems to be predicting Silas, a Bigger Bad who might become involved.
- The Chessmaster
- The Fundamentalist: He seems to thoroughly believe that Silas will be able to revive all of the people whose deaths Shane has arranged in his name.
- I Did What I Had to Do: His reason for killing all the people in a ritual for awakening Silas is that with his power of ressurection Shane believe Silas could just bring them all back anyway.
- Killed Off for Real: See You Have Outlived Your Usefulness below
- Man Behind the Man: He sent Connor to Mystic Falls in the first place.
- Manipulative Bastard: The major thing that makes him a threat, despite lacking any supernatural powers, is his ability to manipulate. Many of the events in Season 4 have been due to his direct manipulation.
- The Mentor: He wishes to become this to Bonnie and help her with her guilt as well as with her witchcraft.
- Evil Mentor: The magic he's got her practicing is extremely dark, enough that it isn't even called magic anymore by witches.
- Mind Manipulation: Hypnotizes Bonnie so that whenever she loses control of her dark powers, he's the only person who can bring her back under control.
- And in an ironic twist, it turns out that he has been manipulated by Silas all along, using a hallucination of his dead wife.
- Nightmare Fetishist
- No Sell: He's immune to compulsion, even if it's from an Original vampire. Rebekah and Kol are visibly shocked when he reveals this.
- The Professor: No one said the professor has to be a good guy.
- Technical Pacifist: Protests that he doesn't even like to eat meat. He's okay with manipulating people into doing the killing for him, however, especially since he believes that they'll all be revived by Silas anyway.
- Token Evil Teammate
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Views himself as this. See The Fundamentalist above.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Is killed by Silas when he's resurrected.
The gang's history teacher at the beginning of the series who also coaches the football team. He is killed by Damon.