Characters: The Vampire Diaries Characters Introduced In Season 1
Click here to return to the character page.
open/close all folders
Katherine Pierce a.k.a. Katerina Petrova (portrayed by Nina Dobrev)
I will always look out for myself. If you're smart, you'll do the same.
Katerina Petrova (Bulgarian:
Катерина Петрова), better known as Katherine Pierce, is a witch of the Traveller subculture, the assumed third doppelgänger of Amara, a former vampire, a major antagonist and one of the main characters. She was the main antagonist of season one (through John Gilbert's and Isobel's actions, as both were working for her), and one of the antagonists of season two. She was also a recurring character in the third and fourth seasons. Finally, she has a main role in season five. Katherine's notable ancestors include Amara, who was Silas' true love and presumably the world's first immortal woman, and Tatia, whose blood was involved in the creation of the spell of immortality that was cast on the Mikaelson Family and the curse that bound Klaus' werewolf side. She is also the maternal ancestor of Isobel Flemming and the latter's biological daughter, Elena Gilbert. She was once the romantic interest of Stefan and Damon Salvatore, as well as Mason Lockwood. Since the late 15th century, she has also been the romantic interest of Elijah, with whom she was involved, until he effectively ended their relationship by leaving to join his half-brother Klaus in New Orleans. Katherine is a member and distant ancestor of the Petrova Family.
Anna (portrayed by Malese Jow)
"Dracula was a complete wuss. Never showered. Very smelly."
- Action Girl: Anna is tough, capable and strong. She can kick ass and take names.
- Adorkable: Being a cute but geeky bookworm.
- Asian and Nerdy: Anna is smart, intellectual and nerdy. Not to mention, she is also a hardcore bookworm.
- Back from the Dead: Not really back. She's a ghost that Jeremy sees in season three.
- Badass: Anna is capable of kicking ass even though she is small.
- Badass Adorable: Anna is small and petite but she is capable of defending and fighting for herself when she has to.
- Badass Bookworm: Scholarly, nerdy intelligent and very much a bookworm.
- Becoming the Mask: Originally she befriended Jeremy in order to obtain his ancestor's journal but later, she really fell in love with him.
- Betty and Veronica: Anna could be seen as the Veronica to Bonnie's Betty for Jeremy's Archie.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She may look cute but do not underestimate her.
- Brainy Brunette: Anna is very smart, intelligent and quick. She also seems to be quite scholarly and loves research.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Anna is the Gentle Girl to Jeremy's Brooding Boy.
- Brown Eyes: One of her physical defining features.
- The Bus Came Back: As a ghost.
- Canon Foreigner: Anna doesn't exist in the books.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She seemed this way in regards to Jeremy and his relationships with both Bonnie and Vicki.
- Cute Bookworm: Anna loves to read and loves research.
- Cute Bruiser: Anna is very cute and adorkable but she can kick anyone's ass. She's not to be underestimated.
- The Cutie: Anna is very loveable, endearing and adorable, despite being a vampire.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Wers dark colours but overall, she has good to neutral intentions.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has her witty and sarcastic moments.
- The Determinator: Anna did everything to get her mother back from the tomb in which she was imprisoned in for over a century.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Towards Jeremy.
- Genki Girl: Especially when she gets excited.
- Genre Savvy: Anna is very knowledgable and smart.
- Girly Bruiser: She's feminine but also an Action Girl to boot and not to be underestimated.
- Girl Next Door: She appears this way, even though she is a vampire.
- Good Is Not Nice: Generally nice but don't cross her or get on her bad side.
- Good Is Not Soft: She may be a cute and sweet girl, but she can kick ass when she has to.
- Gorgeous Period Dress: Wore them during the 1864 flashbacks.
- Heel-Face Turn: Although she was never really evil, her love for Jeremy made her want to stay in Mystic Falls.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Like many other vampires, Anna sometimes wears leather jackets.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Anna desires to be a normal girl and be a regular teenager.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Anna desires friendship, companionship and love, hence why she first befriended and then fell in love with Jeremy Gilbert.
- Immortality: Anna had the ability to live forever without physically aging. She is a Type V and Type X.
- Killed Off for Real: She is killed via stake through the heart by John Gilbert.
- Kill the Cutie: See Killed Off for Real.
- Love Hurts: In regards to Jeremy.
- Love Interest: To Jeremy in season one. Even after she died, Jeremy still considered Anna as the girl he always loved, despite being with Bonnie.
- Love Redeems: Anna isn't necessarily bad by any means, but her love for Jeremy definitely brought out the nicer and softer side of her, her humanity.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Anna represents this to brooding Jeremy in season one.
- Motor Mouth: Once Anna gets going, she can't stop especially something she finds important or something that she is passionate about.
- Mysterious Waif: In the beginning.
- Nerd: She is highly intelligent and is quite a bit of a bookworm.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Anna may be a nerd, but she is also stylish and attractive.
- Nice Girl: Anna is generally nice and friendly however, don't get on her bad side.
- Nice Hat: Wore one during the 1864 flashbacks.
- Official Couple: With Jeremy in season one. Sadly, she is tragically killed off at the end of the first season. Jeremy makes it clear that he still loves her despite her unexpected death and it takes many seasons for Jeremy to move on from Anna, even when Jeremy moved on with Bonnie in a relationship in season two.
- The Ojou: During the 1864 flashbacks.
- The One That Got Away: She is this to Jeremy.
- Only One Name: Her last name is never revealed.
- Perky Goth: Wears a lot of black clothing and has dark hair and pale skin.
- Pimped-Out Dress: During the 1864 flashbacks.
- Plucky Girl: Anna is very optimistic and upbeat.
- The Pollyanna: See Plucky Girl.
- Psychotic Love Triangle: With Bonnie and Vicki over the affections of Jeremy. Although Bonnie isn't psychotic, Vicki was certainly crossing the crazy line, especially as a ghost.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Anna has very black hair and very pale skin.
- Really 700 Years Old: She knew Dracula who died before Katherine was turned.
- Second Love: To Jeremy. Vicki was the first.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Her relationship with Jeremy.
- Spirited Young Lady: Anna is very optimistic, feisty and spirited by nature.
- The Smart Girl: Anna is very intelligent.
- Tsundere: Type B, towards Jeremy.
- Waif-Fu: Small, cute and petite, but NOT to be underestimated and can kick major ass when she has to.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Anna is highly idealistic.
Pearl (portrayed by Kelly Hu)
"Mystic Falls is our home, Damon! They took that from us, our land, our home. It's time we rebuild!"
Isobel Flemming-Saltzman (portrayed by Mia Kirshner)
"I am selfish, and I'm obsessed, and I'm a horrible wife. But you love me anyway."
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: To Elena. Understandable considering that Isobel had Elena when she was only 16.
- In real life, Mia Kirshner is only 13 years older than Nina Dobrev, hence why Isobel looks insanely young next to the teenaged Elena.
- Action Mom: Sort of. Isobel will find herself involved in a lot of plans and missions, especially concerning Elena.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Isobel had a sexual relationship with Damon Salvatore.
- Almighty Mom: Isobel is very domineering, even as a mother figure.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Isobel is icy and aloof.
- Ambiguously Bi: Isobel seemed that she would have no problem experimenting with someone of the same sex.
- Ambiguously Evil: It was always really hard to tell what Isobel's true intentions were.
- Antagonistic Offspring: Elena is this to Isobel.
- Badass: Comes with being a vampire.
- The Baroness: Isobel is of the Sexpot flavour.
- Bastard Wife: To Alaric. She made Alaric think that she was dead for a long period of time, when in reality, she just wanted to be turned into a vampire out of selfishness. When Alaric reunited with Isobel for the first time after a long time, he called Isobel a "selfish bitch".
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Can appear polite at times but will become ruthless and bitchy within less than a minute.
- Brainy Brunette: The Magnificent Bitch type.
- The Chessmaster: Being cunning and manipulative seems to run in the Petrova blood.
- Crazy-Prepared: Isobel was always planning and scheming.
- Dark Is Evil: Isobel is almost always wearing dark (especially black) clothing.
- Dark Mistress: Was this for Damon.
- Deadpan Snarker: Isobel is sarcastic and snarky. Must run in the Petrova genes.
- Death by Irony: She is killed in the same way that the mystery man she employed was: compelled suicide.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Around both Alaric and Elena, Isobel's humanity and softer side come out.
- Depraved Bisexual: Strongly hinted at. Possibly an Actor Allusion to Mia Kirshner's role on The L Word.
- The Determinator: When Isobel wants something, she will stop at nothing to get it.
- Driven to Suicide: By walking into the sun.
- Elena, I Am Your Mother/Isobel, You Are My Mother: Elena discovers that Isobel is her biological mother in season one.
- Evil Feels Good: Isobel seems to enjoy committing evil deeds.
- Evil Is Petty: Some of Isobel's actions have been downright catty.
- The Fashionista: Isobel is rather trendy and fashionable in her clothing.
- Femme Fatale: She is a seductress.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Isobel admitted that she was jealous of Jenna over her relationship with Alaric.
- Green Eyes: Isobel's eye colour strongly reflect on her characterization.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Isobel seems to enjoy having fun and partying.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: To the point where we don't discover her true allegiance even after her death.
- Hello, Nurse!: Isobel is a physically attractive woman and she is a seductress.
- Ice Queen: Isobel is icy, cold and aloof.
- Immortality: Isobel as a vampire had the ability to live forever without physically aging. She is Type V and Type X.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Isobel was strongly fascinated with vampires and vampirism. So much that she declared herself dead and asked Damon to turn her into a vampire.
- It's All About Me: She has no problem screwing over anyone including her daughter and husband in order to help herself.
- Killed Off for Real: She is killed when she is compelled by Klaus to remove her daywalking necklace so she would burn in the sun.
- Lack of Empathy: She has no compassion and feels absolutely no guilt in killing and feeding.
- Long Lost Parent: To Elena.
- The Lost Lenore: Her apparent death is the primary motivation for both John and Alaric's actions throughout season one.
- Manipulative Bitch: She's very manipulative and selfish, and usually finds what she wants.
- Missing Mom: To Elena.
- Ms. Fanservice: Some of her clothing are somewhat revealing.
- Mysterious Parent: To Elena.
- Never Found the Body: Alaric mentions this as why her murder was unsolved.
- Parental Abandonment: Isobel gave birth to Elena when she was a teenager. She then gave Elena up for adoption shortly after she was born. Elena was raised by the Gilberts.
- Show Some Leg
- The Snark Knight: Being sarcastic and snarky is in the Petrova blood.
- Teen Pregnancy: Isobel gave birth to Elena when she was only 16 years old.
- The Vamp: She uses her sexuality to get what she wants.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods
- Viral Transformation: Isobel was turned into a vampire by Damon.
- Woman in Black: Always dressed in black, she is a mysterious and menacing woman.
Alexia "Lexi" Branson
Alexia ‘Lexi’ Branson (portrayed by Arielle Kebbel)
"Because when you can hurt, you can love. Love, Stefan, that's the point."
The gang's history teacher at the beginning of the series who also coaches the football team. He is killed by Damon.