Debuted in Kamui
ALLTYNEX OSThe general-purpose administrative Master Computer built by humanity. It going rogue and using its control over a huge automated army to attack humankind is what causes the game's plot.Although ALLTYNEX itself is destroyed at the end of the first game, a Neural Network based on its OS and using the uploaded minds of hundreds of humans is created in RefleX to command the forces of the Mechanized Temple against the Raiwat, effectively resulting in the AI's rebirth. This same Neural Network is used in Kamui by Xaffiquel to subvert humanity's forces against them.
- A.I. is a Crapshoot: It wipes out over 85% of the human race with its drone army. Later its rebuilt version seems to be fine in protecting humanity against the Raiwat, but it assists Xaffiquel in attempting to annihilate mankind a few centuries later.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: Both games it appears in build up ALLTYNEX to be the Final Boss; it is the Big Bad after all. In both cases there's another boss after it.
- Big Bad: Of the entire series. The original version is this to ALLTYNEX Second.
- Cyber Cyclops: Its design when seen from above evokes this.
- Final Boss: In the original ALLTYNEX. In ALLTYNEX Second, it is played up to be one, but turns out to be a Trick Boss.
- Godzilla Threshold: The only reason humanity dared to recreate a system based on its AI: without its superior military capabilities, the Raiwat might have succeeded in their genocide.
- Gone Horribly Right: In fact, the Senate deliberately induced ALLTYNEX's rampage... but said rampage was far more destructive than they bargained for.
- Leitmotif: "The Ringleader -Mother Brain ALLTYNEX-"
- Master Computer: At least over mankind's military. It's implied that ALLTYNEX performs some other administrative duties as well.
ScorpioA scorpion-shaped cruiser that guards the space elevator leading out of the Earth's atmosphere. It is seen first in KAMUI, but as a replica created by the Neural Nest. The actual Scorpio appears in RefleX.
- High-Speed Battle: Scorpio is fought in the orbital shaft at breakneck speeds.
- Leitmotif: "The Scorpion's Poison" in RefleX.
- Lightning Bruiser: It's large, hits hard, and moves fast.
- Recurring Boss: Fought in both KAMUI and RefleX.
- Scary Scorpions: It's a scorpion mecha.
- Signature Move: Its most iconic attack is a dual-laser sweep.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: In RefleX, it's the first boss in the game that needs to be taken seriously.
- Wave Motion Gun: Boasts a signature double-laser sweep.
Xaffiquel de AliceThe scientist who developed Brain Fusion Theory. His research on the matter led his colleagues and the public to dismiss and ridicule him, but he was later recruited by a secret organization who helped him acquire test subjects... one of which was has daughter Panaffil.
- Brain Uploading: Underwent Brain Fusion himself, storing his mind inside the Mechanized Temple as the AI "Adjudicator".
- Despair Event Horizon: When his wife was killed and his daughter was put through Brain Fusion.
- Final Boss: As the Adjudicator, the AI controlling the Mechanized Temple.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Subscribes to this viewpoint after crossing the Despair Event Horizon.
- Leitmotif: "He Who Will Judge"
- Mad Scientist: Even before the incident with his wife and daughter, his sanity was questionable at best. When crossing the Despair Event Horizon he really goes of the deep end.
- Papa Wolf: Declared war on the world due to the mistreatment of his daughter.
Panaffil de AliceXaffiquel's daughter, and the protagonist of Kamui. Her mind is uploaded into Kamui unit #2. Unlike the other test subjects, she retained her consciousness during the Brain Fusion process, and as such her unit is the only one to retain the original mind of its subject.
- Amnesiac Hero: At the start of the game she can't remember anything at all. All she has to go on is a strange voice that is beckoning her from somewhere. Said voice belongs to Alltynex.
- Anti Anti Christ: Xaffiquel had intended for her to help him annihilate humanity, instead she goes against him and saves humanity instead.
- Brain Uploading: Into the Kamui fighter. All the Kamui fighters work this way.
- Child Soldier: She was twelve years old when her mind was uploaded into Kamui #2.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter
- Morality Chain: Acted as the lone thing that kept what was left of her father's sanity.
- Together in Death: Implied but not outright stated that she decides to die alongside her father after the final battle.
KAMUIA class of fighter that is piloted by a psychic's brain. Its armaments usually consist of a standard energy blaster, lock-on lightning attacks, and a Lightning Blade attack.Kamui #2 is piloted by Panaffil de Alice. In addition, a squadron of mass-produced Kamui units are seen in KAMUI stage 4, with altered weapons. In RefleX, two Kamui units are dispatched to eliminate ZODIAC units Ophiuchus and Libra.
- Brain Uploading: A Kamui unit requires the brain of a psychic subject in order to function.
- Cool Ship: They are the iconic ships of the franchise, and have lightning-based homing weaponry.
- Final Boss: Two of them alongside ZODIAC Libra in RefleX.
- Homing Lasers: Or rather, homing lightning.
- Mirror Boss, Wolfpack Boss: In stage 4 of KAMUI, you fight a squad of mass-produced KAMUI units, supported by KAMUI Unit 00, a larger, superpowered unit powered by the remains of ZODIAC Ophiuchus.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Lightning Blade.
Debuted in RefleX
Guehala DennisThe developer of the Phoenix in RefleX and the pilot of the Armed Saboteur and the protagonist in ALLTYNEX Second.Following the battles with ALLTYNEX and Satariel, he is transported 200 years into the future, where he finds out the horrible truth about the Senate and ALLTYNEX. Joining the anti-government group Valkyness, he goes on to develop their signature Serpent fighters, as well as the MK-II Phoenix, using ZODIAC Ophiuchus's core as a source of energy.]Dennis is killed at the very beginning of RefleX, along with the rest of the crew on the carrier Ophiuchus.
- Ace Pilot: He personally flies into the most heavily-guarded installation on the planet and destroys the corrupted ALLTYNEX.
- Badass Bookworm: In addition to delivering the decisive blow in the ALLTYNEX War, he invented most of the Valkyness's military hardware, most notably the Phoenix.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Some interdimensional weirdness caused by Satariel's explosion transported him 200 years into the future, where he finds he is listed as KIA.
- Tomato Surprise: You don't learn his identity in ALLTYNEX Second until the ending.
- Walking Spoiler: Learning any more about him beyond his death in RefleX would spoil him.
ALFI-PH2RX Phoenix 02/ ZODIAC Ophiuchus(Not to be confused with the carrier Ophiuchus.)A general-purpose fighter craft, piloted by the unnamed protagonist. Alongside its standard-issue energy blasters, it is equipped with a shield system capable of reflecting some attacks while nullifying others. It is secretly carrying the core of ZODIAC Ophiuchus, which is used to help generate the shield.ZODIAC Virgo totals it in Area 7, killing the pilot. This triggers the transformation of the Phoenix into Ophiuchus, awakening the A.I., which is programmed to destroy the other ZODIAC units, Virgo included, at all costs, even going as far as to cause massive collateral damage to the Earth in the process.
- Attack Reflector: The Phoenix 02's signature feature is an energy shield that can reflect energy weapons. It can only be used for so long before needing to recharge. As Ophiuchus, it's able to use the shield infinitely.
- Dead Man Switch: Its near-total destruction and death of the pilot triggers the Ophiuchus core.
- Destructive Savior: It fights mankind's enemies, but with no regard to limiting collateral damage. After a while it is considered as terrible a threat as the things it's fighting.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: The Ophiuchus core doesn't activate until near the end of the game, at which point the fighter starts displaying its true power.
- Featureless Protagonist: The pilot is never named or described beyond the use of male pronouns to refer to him.
- He Who Fights Monsters: As ZODIAC Ophiuchus, it will destroy the Earth-ravaging ZODIACs no matter the cost, even if the cost is the Earth itself.
- Heroic Suicide: Takes the cores of the other twelve ZODIACs and seals them away, deactivating itself.
- Leitmotif: "Phoenix", played when it reawakens as ZODIAC Ophiuchus.
- Made of Iron: Until it becomes ZODIAC Ophiuchus, at which point it becomes a...
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: You don't even get the luxury of multiple lives. A single mistake is all that is needed to see the Continue screen.
- No Name Given: The pilot's name is never mentioned. Presumably, you, the player, are the pilot.
- Nominal Hero: ZODIAC Ophiuchus doesn't care about humanity or the planet. All it wants is the total destruction of the other 12 ZODIAC units. Its reputation amongst humanity goes from "our savior from the Winged Menaces" to "just another Winged Menace".
- One-Winged Angel: Its "Energy-Winged Phoenix" form, otherwise known as ZODIAC Ophiuchus.
- The Phoenix: Not just in name.
- Previous Player-Character Cameo: In Kamui, the Phoenix and the now-defunct ZODIAC core are rebuilt into Kamui #0, the "Super-Kamui" fighter that serves as the Stage 5 Boss. It's frame appears as the miniboss of the final stage of ALLTYNEX Second, too.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: The ZODIAC Ophiuchus's shield meter is shown going off the screen, representing the unlimited shield energy it has.
- Spread Shot: Downplayed; it fires some angular bursts, but they are hardly as concentrated as the central flow of shots. ZODIAC Ophiuchus averts this, concentrating all of its firepower forward.
- Walking Spoiler: There's no indication that the ship itself plays an immensely pivotal role in the plot, moreso even than its pilot, until near the end of the game.
Global Unified Army
ATCR-PI-E01 Pisces — Pilots: Eros Alrescha and Aphrodite AlreschaA fish-like fighter that uses cloud cover to lay sneak attacks on its enemies.There are actually two types of Pisces: Type A, which is based around heavy firepower, while Type E unleashes defensive bullet curtains. Type A was shot down by the Valkyness; the Phoenix fights Type E.
- Meaningful Name: Alrescha is a star in the Pisces constellation.
- Mini-Boss: Of Area 1.
- Warm-Up Boss: The first major enemy the player encounters, but it's very weak.
Virgo — Pilot: Spica Astrea(Not to be confused with ZODIAC Virgo.)The first of the pseudo-ZODIAC units the player encounters. It makes its introduction by nuking the carrier Ophiuchus, killing everyone on board, including Doctor Dennis, with the Phoenix narrowly escaping, and then engaging the Phoenix in combat, only to be defeated and retreat.Virgo reappears in Area 6, this time allied with Valkyness, briefly seen pursuing ZODIAC Virgo. It then accompanies the Phoenix in Area 7 to the ALLTYNEX ruins, only to be destroyed by ZODIAC Virgo. Spica managed to escape with her life, joining the Gehenna Church afterwards.
- Dark Action Girl: Its pilot is revealed to be female in the Info Dump between Areas 7 and 8.
- Hero Killer: She kills Dennis and the rest of the Ophiuchus crew at the beginning of the game. Meanwhile, you escape in the Phoenix just in time.
- Leitmotif: "Crazy Goddess Virgo (Type Human)"
- Meaningful Name: Spica is the brightest star in the Virgo constellation, and Astrea is a feminine name of Greek origin that comes from the word aster, meaning "star".
- Non-Lethal K.O.: After the Phoenix defeats Virgo, it retreats instead of blowing up. The ship itself is actually knocked out offscreen in Area 7, by ZODIAC Virgo, though the pilot survives.
Taurus — Pilot: Elnart AldebranA large tank that patrols the sky city of Aeneas.
- Collision Damage: Colliding with its main body will cause the Phoenix to take damage, even though it's a ground target like the other tanks in the stage that can be safely flown over.
- Elevator Action Sequence: Part of the battle is set on an elevator that helps Taurus climb up to the next floor.
- Macross Missile Massacre: One of its attacks shoots out dozens of rockets.
- Meaningful Name: Aldebaran is the brightest star in the Taurus constellation.
- Mini-Boss: Fought at the end of the first part of Area 2.
- Tank Goodness: Resembles a gigantic tank rather than a flying ship of any kind.
- Wave Motion Gun: The main turret fires one.
Scorpio (actual) — Pilot: Maui AntaresAppeared first in KAMUI, but as a replica by the Neural Nest. See its entry in the KAMUI section above.
- Meaningful Name: Antares is the brighest start in the Scorpius constellation.
A race of anthromorphic creatures.Centuries ago, the Raiwat constructed the ZODIAC units and their power to establish empric rule, but one day the ZODIAC units went berserk and Turned Against Their Masters. The Yuda Clan constructed an anti-ZODIAC weapon, the ZODIAC Ophiuchus, and then fled the homeworld for Earth, resulting in catastrophic destruction of Raiwat civilzation. As the Raiwat took centuries to rebuild their civilization, their genes mutated to adapt to the scorched environment, causing them to mutate into beastly creatures.Now, the Raiwat are out to get revenge on the descendents of the Yuda, taking back control of the ZODIAC weapons to unleash destruction on the Earth.
- Fantastic Racism: They hate humanity. Or, humanity's ancestors, really. Modern humanity had no idea the Raiwat even existed.
- Sins of Our Fathers: The Raiwat are out to seek revenge on the Yuda Clan by destroying their descendents.
- Transhuman Aliens: They were human once. Or rather, humans and Raiwat were once a single species. The Raiwat have evolved due to the catastrophic damage to their homeworld.
- Villain Exit Stage Left: By the time the final area comes around and the ZODIAC Opiuchus, ZODIAC Libra, and KAMUI #7 and 8 are duking it out in orbit, the Raiwat are retreating from the Earth.
TsukikagerouCommander-in-chief of the Raiwat Drone Invasion Force, and the military head of their attack on Earth.
The ZODIAC units
ZODIAC VirgoThe first of the ZODIAC units to reach the Solar System. It is first seen in Area 4, finishing off Cancer, whose destruction ends up destroying the Valkyness base as well. It reappears briefly in Area 6, being chased by the pseudo-ZODIAC Virgo, and again in Area 7, where it makes short work of Virgo, and soon after blows out the Phoenix, murdering its pilot... only to be destroyed by its energy-winged ZODIAC form.
- Attack Reflector: It can reflect your shots. Fortunately, you can't be hurt by your own shots; if anything, the shots will still damage enemies for you.
- Climax Boss: Though it isn't the final boss, the plot climax takes place during its battle.
- Hero Killer: It kills, on-screen: two bosses, a base full of resistance fighters, and the player. Offscreen it is implied to be wiping out entire battalions.
- Karmic Death: It's killed by the very target it tried to destroy. Most likely the player will finish it off with its own reflected attacks.
- Leitmotif: "Raiwat Virgo (Type R)".
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Against the Phoenix.
- Oh, Crap!: While it doesn't bear any facial expressions or have any dialogue, the fact that it flees immediately upon ZODIAC Ophiuchus's awakening is indicative of this.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Tries to flee when the Phoenix transforms into ZODIAC Ophiuchus. Ophiuchus blows up Virgo's engines, denying the opportunity and forcing Virgo to stand its ground.
- Wave Motion Gun: Can fire one that covers the entire screen! Note that when it fires this, the Phoenix has already transformed into the Ophiuchus, whose infinite-use shield means that this massive laser blast is only a threat if you make the obvious mistake of not putting the shield up.
ZODIAC LibraThe last of the ZODIAC units to be seen, after the destruction of the other eleven.
- Attack Reflector: Just like ZODIAC Virgo.
- Final Boss: Alongside a couple of Kamui fighters. The fighters get taken down partway through, leaving just you and Libra for the final showdown.
- Leitmotif: Time of End
- Wave Motion Gun: Fires a gigantic one from below, destroying the remaining Kamui units and being blocked by ZODIAC Ophiuchus's shield. It tries to fire a second time, but ends up crippling itself; good thing, because this particular attack is stated to be capable of even eating through the Ophiuchus's shields.
Debuted in ALLTYNEX Second
The Senate / The Followers of Yuda
- The Bad Guy Wins: Despite things not going fully to plan, they end up successfully taking control of humanity, and even when the Raiwat arrived, they managed to make the best of it and became The Followers of Yuda.
- Bigger Bad: They were the cause of ALLTYNEX going rogue and all just to make humanity easier to control.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: They gave ALLTYNEX the command to slaughter 85% of all humanity but to spare 15%. However, when they returned to earth, they notice that ALLTYNEX has gone rogue for real.
- Karma Houdini: In spite of being the cause for almost everything that went wrong in the series, they end up victorious in the end, and even after Dennis learned the truth, he died before he could stop them. The closest thing they have as punishment is during the timeline of KAMUI, they no longer exist.