open/close all folders
Portrayed by: Shailene Woodley
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals
- Girl Next Door
- Glamorous Single Mother: While this show does a better job showing both sides, it still glamorizes part of Amy's experience by providing her a new car, a job, and countless other opportunities. It's a very white, upperclass perspective of teen pregnancy, when you consider less than half of teen moms graduate high school and only 2% graduate college by age 30.
- Mama Bear: When she catches Adrian holding John.
- Naive Every Girl
- Teen Pregnancy
Richard "Ricky" Underwood
Portrayed by: Daren Kagasoff
- Abusive Parents: His abusive dad serves as his Freudian excuse.
- Anything That Moves
- Friends with Benefits: With Adrian.
- Happily Adopted: By his foster parents.
- Parental Abandonment: By his birth parents.
- Really Gets Around
- Troubled, but Cute: According to most girls at school, apparently.
Benjamin "Ben" Boykevich
Portrayed by: Ken Baumann
- Breakthe Cutie: Adrian ends up delivering a stillborn fetus, which promptly wrecks Ben.
- Nice Guy: Ben is constantly stated to be a nice guy by the other characters, although whether this is true or not depends on the episode.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Ben has a tendency to protect girls, even if he just met them. Such as when he took the fall for Dylan when she got caught with pot.
- Stalker with a Crush
Portrayed by: Francia Raisa
- Attention Whore: To the point of spreading rumors of her and Grace kissing to get the attention off of rumors of Amy being gay.
- Breakthe Haughty: Delivers a stillborn baby
- Cool Big Sis: Plays this role to Ashley at times.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: Adrian dates her stepbrother for a while.
- Friendless Background: She admits she's never really had friends before.
- Friends with Benefits: With Ricky.
- Good Bad Girl
- Hidden Heart of Gold: She is smart, funny and can genuinely care for others. Though as pointed out in "When Opportunity Knocks", she puts up a tough exterior because she fears being hurt by others.
- Informed Flaw: She is supposedly the school's resident "bad girl" but is a straight A student, a majorette, and is closer to the school's resident slut.
- Jerk Ass Facade
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Dark
- Odd Friendship: Best friends with Grace.
- Really Gets Around
- Spicy Latina
- Teen Pregnancy
Grace Kathleen Bowman
Portrayed by: Megan Park
- Blonde Republican Sex Kitten: More pronounced in later seasons.
- Hypocrite: Probably more so than the other characters. She tends to be pretty judgmental toward the other characters despite being no better herself.
- Informed Attractiveness: Grace is supposedly the prettiest girl in school.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Light
- Odd Friendship: With Adrian.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man
- Their First Time: She loses her virginity the night her father dies. She spends several episodes screaming "He died a horrible death because I had great sex!"
- Token Religious Teammate
Portrayed by: India Eisley
- Ice Queen
- Little Miss Snarker
- Only Sane Woman: Usually.
- Put on a Bus: As of the final season.
- The Snark Knight
- Wise Beyond Their Years
Portrayed by: Greg Finley II
Portrayed by: Molly Ringwald
Portrayed by: Mark Derwin
Portrayed by: Steve Schirripa
Henry 'Hank' Miller
Portrayed by: Allen Evangelista
Portrayed by: Amy Rider
Portrayed by: Renee Olstead
Portrayed by: Camille Winbush
- Black Best Friend: To Amy and Madison.
Portrayed by: Luke Zimmerman
Portrayed by: Anne Ramsay
- The Alcoholic: She's a recovering alcoholic, although she did slip up while having dinner with Ben.
Portrayed by: Josie Bissett
Portrayed by: Brando Eaton
Portrayed by: Cierra Ramirez
Portrayed by: Michael Grant
Portrayed by: L. Scott Caldwell
- Good Parents: To Ricky and Ethan. This might be because of the lack of screen-time she and Sanjay get.
Portrayed by: Brian George
- Good Parents: To Ricky and Ethan. This might be because of the lack of screen-time he and Margaret can get.
Cindy Lee Enriquez
Portrayed by: Paola Turbay
Portrayed by: Philip Anthony-Rodriguez
- What the Hell, Hero?: He threatens to leave the family if Adrian gets an abortion.
John Juergens Underwood
Portrayed by: Joseph Levinson and Matthew Levinson
- Ambiguous Disorder: While nothing is made clear, it should be noted that by the end of the show, John is 3 years old but is still not able to speak in complete sentences (and has a total of about 20 words in his vocabulary) and is still small enough to sit in a high chair.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Despite the show being about pregnant teenagers, John tends to disappear randomly and only cameos enough that you remember he exists. He hardly has any influence on the plot of the show, other than being the only child of Ricky and Amy.
Robert "Robbie" Scott Juergens
Portrayed by: Jennifer Coolidge
Portrayed by: Tricia O'Kelley
Portrayed by: Beverley Mitchell
Dr. Ken Fields
Portrayed by: Ernie Hudson
Portrayed by: Ana Lucasey
Robert "Bob" Underwood
Portrayed by: Bryan Callen