open/close all folders
Twelve years old Darren Shan is the main protagonist of the series. At the start of the series he was a fan of spiders, so when the Cirque du Freak visited his home town, he became obsessed with Madame Octa, a rather large and colorful performing spider, with lethal poison, and stole it from it's rightful owner: a vampire.
- Angst: First after Mr Crepsley blooded him, and much later, following Mr Crepsley's death.
- Anti Anti Christ: It was his destiny to become the Lord Of Shadows, should he mange to kill Steve. He rejected it.
- Back from the Dead: Briefly, just for long enough to Set Right What Once Went Wrong.
- The Beastmaster: Spiders, wolves, dragons, he can tame all of them as part of his inheritance, and he can also tame rats courtesy of being a vampire.
- Break the Cutie
- Cain and Abel: With Steve.
- The Chosen One: Played straight in that, he's one of three vampires who are allowed to kill the Vampaneze Lord. Subverted in that he was chosen to destroy the world, should he, or the other two succeed in doing so.
- Dhampyr: Sort of. He's half-vampire, but he was transformed into one by blood transfusion, instead of being born one.
- Famous Last Words: "Destiny...rejected!"
- Fate Worse Than Death: Subverted. His soul spent a hundred thousand years in the Lake of Souls, before Evanna saved him, and after setting right what once went wrong, he was finally allowed to enter the Paradise.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Subverted in the first book. He gave up his humanity to save Steve's life, who was bitten by Madame Octa, the lethally poisonous spider.
- Subverted again, when he returned to the Vampire Mountain to warn the Princes about Kurda's betrayal, despite he has been sentenced to death by them for failing on the Trials and escaping. The Vampires were so impressed by this, that they made him a Prince, just so his failure could be pardoned.
- Played straight in the last book. He gouged Steve into killing him, and let him to do it, to save the world -and himself- from the Lord Of Shadows.
- Killed Off for Real
- May-December Romance: with Debbie. Subverted as she is the same age as he is, but looks older than him, because she's a normal human.
- Nightmare Fetishist: He has an over fascination for spiders. In the prologue of the first book, he admitted that when he was little, he fantasized about a spider climbing down his throat, laying eggs in his stomach, which then would hatch and start eating him from inside out. Oh and he fantasized about this when he went to bed.
- Older Than He Looks: he was blooded into a half-vampire at the age of twelve. At the end of the series, eighteen years later, he had apparently aged about six years, and only because he had a
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: in Hunters of the Dusk.
- Puppy Love: With Debbie at first.
- Screw Destiny
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Steve.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Debbie was the only girl he was ever in love with. Even when they met again sixteen years later. and he looked like a teenager while she became an adult.
- The Smart Guy / The Strategist: He came up with some rather impressive strategies, particularly his plan to confuse the Vampaneze before the battle in The Vampire Prince, worked so well, that the vampires lost twelve warriors, instead of the estimated thirty to forty minimum casualty. It largely contributed to his election as the youngest Vampire Prince. He even outwitted Mr. Tiny in the final book.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Debbie.
- Take a Third Option: Mr. Tiny's plan was that either Darren or Steve would become the destroyer of the world, whichever survived/killed the other. It backfired on him, when Darren realized that only means both of them must die at each others hands.
- Teacher/Student Romance: With Debbie.
- Took a Level in Badass: He took at least one in each trilogy.
- Unwitting Pawn: To Mr. Tiny trough the entire series. Then he subverts it, by literally saying Screw Destiny to him.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Evanna implied he would've become the Lord of Shadows, because of all the horrible things he went through.
- Amicable Exes: With Arra Sails.
- Badass: He was considered to be nominated to be a leader of an proud warrior race, where Ass Kicking Equals Authority, and is informally the second highest ranking member of the vampire clan, out-ranked only by the 800 years old Paris Skyle. The first time we really see how badass he is, he punches a werewolf unconscious with his bare hands.
- Breakout Character: He has his own series of four novels.
- Dual Wielding: His preferred fighting style with knives.
- Dying Moment of Awesome Fighting the highly skilled Vampaneze Gannen Harst, Steve and the Lord of the Vampaneze (both half-vampaneze) all at once, and apparently winning by killing the Vampaze Lord. Then it's revealed the guy he killed was only a ploy...
- Good Scars, Evil Scars Has a long scar running down on his cheek.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Mr. Crepsley is bitter, snarky, perfectly willing to let Steve die, and not averse to smacking Darren around to teach him a lesson, and yet he genuinely cares for Mesdames Truska and Octa, and comes to the rescue every time Darren gets into trouble (which is often).
- Killed Off for Real
- Knife Nut: His weapon of choice.
- Noodle Incident: He treated the story behind his scar like this. As it eventually turned out Evanna scratched him.
- Parental Substitute: To Darren, after he got through his I Hate You, Vampire Dad period.
- Perpetual Frowner: He only laughed once, when he found out about Gavner's elephant underpants, and immediately felt sorry for it. But he often smirks.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
- Senseless Sacrifice: He didn't take Steve down with himself to give his friends a chance to escape. After he died, Steve revealed to Darren, that he is actually the real Vampaneze Lord.
- You Gotta Have Orange Hair: Justified in his back story, which reveals he was dyed in the factory he worked in as a child.
Harkat MuldsA Small person, who was brought back to life by Mr. Tiny, and was tasked with protecting Darren.
- Back from the Dead: His soul made a pact with Mr. Tiny, who brought him back as a Small person. For most of the series he didn't remember anything of his old life, and the whole Lake of Souls book was about his and Darren's adventures to find out who he had been before he died.
- Brick Joke: In Hunters of the Dusk he, Darren and Mr Crepsley spoke about who he could've been, and Mr Crepsley jokingly said he has vampire blood, to which he admitted that he had been wondering if he had been a vampire in his previous life, because of his liking of the clan. This caused Darren to wonder if he could had been a Prince, which he dismissed. Then in Lake of Souls, it turned out that he was the traitor Prince-nominee Kurda Smahlt.
- Deal with DesTiny.
- Fun with Acronyms: His name is an acronym of his name in his past life, Kurda Smahlt.
- Identity Amnesia: Part of the deal which granted him a new chance to live.
- Pint Sized Power House
- Time Travel: Mr Tiny created him from Kurda's corpse, then he put him back into the past.
- Stable Time Loop: In his life he was the traitor vampire Kurda Smahlt, his deal with Mr Tiny included that he had to protect and help Darren, who uncovered his treason, and caused his fall.
Vancha MarchOne of the four Vampire Princes, and one of the three Hunters, who're allowed to kill the Vampaneze Lord.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: In the novels he was described as someone who could've been mistaken for the twin brother of a werewolf, while he's rather handsome in the manga.
- Anime Hair: In the manga, he has a quite ridiculous saiyajin hairdo.
- Badass Beard: In the manga.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: The only weapons he uses are shurikens and his fists. However he only kills with the shurikens when he has to save someone, and has no other option.
- Casanova Wanna Be
- Determinator: See below at Windmill Crusader.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: He's an extremist in this regard even among the vampires. He only wears clothes he himself sewn together from the skins of animals he killed, he fights only with his hands, he carves out his shurikens from the ore, sleeps on his cloak, eats only raw meat, and drinks only water, milk and blood.
- Windmill Crusader: He regularly takes walks in the sunshine, trying to break the curse of vampires, which forces them to live in the dark. He's been doing it for over a century, without any success, but he's not willing to give up, despite the bad sunburns and sunstrokes he gets from it.
A malevolent being who only wants to throw the world into chaos.
- All-Powerful Bystander: He hates it, but he can't directly interfere with the destiny of the world, because...
- Archnemesis Dad: To Darren.
- The Beastmaster
- The Chessmaster: He set up the whole plot of the series, and up until the climax, everything went exactly as he planned.
- Evil Can Not Comprehend Good: He explained his plan to Darren and the dying, but still alive Steve, because he was absolutely sure he's won, giving ahead the only way of stopping him. He didn't count on Darren allowing Steve to kill him, simply because he's so evil, he couldn't imagine a son of his could make such a selfless act.
- Faux Affably Evil: He seems to be a rather kind person... until you hear him stating that he hates drinking blood, except from infants, because their blood is...so sweet.
- Fat Bastard
- For the Evulz
- Humanoid Abomination
- Luke, I Am Your Father: To both Darren and Steve.
- Made of Evil
- Meaningful Name: Desmond Tiny.
- Nightmare Fetishist: In Book 7, he claims he is in a hurry to catch a volcano eruption, which will kill everyone in ten miles radius.
- The Necromancer
- Out-Gambitted: By Darren, and again by Evanna.
- Time Abyss: He's so old, that Seba Nile, the second oldest living vampire at the age of 700, was young the first and last time they met before the series. He even claims that he measures time in continental movements.
- Time Master
- Xanatos Gambit: He would've won regardless of the outcome of the final battle. The only thing he didn't expect was Darren's sacrifice.
- 0% Approval Rating: The Vampaneze only followed him because Mr. Tiny told them that the Vampires would exterminate them, if they didn't.
- Ax-Crazy: The Vampaneze, despite their preference for living victims and killing, hate the guy because of this reason.
- Arch-Enemy: To Darren, and Mr. Crepsley.
- Anti Christ: Had he managed to kill Darren, he would've become the Lord of Shadows.
- Appropriated Appellation: His birthname was Leonard, nicknamed "Leopard" by his friends, both because it rhymed well, and because he was a wild child. He went by it as an adult.
- Cain and Abel
- The Chessmaster
- Combat Pragmatist: He uses ranged weapons and lies which are both forbidden to his subjects the Vampaneze, and he recruits humans to fight on his side, who're also allowed to do these things.
- Complexity Addiction
- Evil Former Friend: To Darren.
- Fate Worse Than Death: He will be trapped in the Lake of Souls forever.
- Killed Off for Real
- Made of Evil: A sip of his blood almost made Mr. Crepsley to throw up.
- It's All About Me
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Darren.
- The Sociopath
- Ungrateful Bastard: Darren gave up his life as a human, and became Mr Crepsley's assistant to save Steve's life. He viewed this as Darren deliberately tried to kill him with Madame Octa, and then stole away his dream of becoming a vampire, and swore vengeance on both him and Mr Crepsley.
- Vampire Hunter: Posed as one, who knew the difference between the Vampires and Vampaneze, and haunted the latters.
- Vampire Wannabe: When Mr. Crepsley refused him, he goes... mad.
- Would Hurt a Child: He killed Shancus, Darren's godson, who was eight. For the Evulz!
- Younger Than He Looks: At twenty-eight he was greying rather badly.
- The Dragon: He was chosen by Mr Tiny to be Steve's bodyguard. Not that he was happy with it.
- Noble Top Enforcer
- Will Not Tell a Lie
Reggie Veggie "R. V."
- Animal Wrongs Group: He set the Cirque Du Freak's werewolf free, because he thought it was cruel to keep it chained in a cage all the time. Of course Darren was partially at fault, since he did tell R.V. that the werewolf wasn't really dangerous.
- Face–Heel Turn: starts of as a friend of Darren.
- Heel–Face Turn: when Steve kills Shankus. Although, he doesn't really join Darren, he just runs off again...
- Hook Hand: Both of them
- Irony: Sam's bag has a note "hands off" written on it which Darren reads straight after R.V. runs of wondering where his went...
- Nightmare Face: on the cover.
Prince Paris Skyle
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Subverted. He was the eldest living vampire during the time of the series, as highest ranking Prince, and indeed he was very badass, but due his age he was no longer fit for active front service. Instead during the war he focused on coordinating the Generals.
- Badass Beard: Especially in the manga adaptation.
- Badass Grandpa: He died wrestling a bear, and he took it down with him! At the biological age of eighty!
- Killed Off for Real
- Living Legend: There are many legends surrounding him, including that he fought side-by-side with Jean D'Arc, he traveled with Christopher Columbus to America and introduced vampirism in the "New World", he was the inspiration behind Stroker's Dracula, and last, but not least, Mr Crepsley confirmed that he was friends with William Shakespeare, and upon Shakespeare's death, Paris drank all his blood, sucking out part of his soul and all of his unwritten creations with it, and later had them written down.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Elderly Immortal: He's 800 years-old by the time of the series and appears to be an extremely fitt 80 years-old.
- Bald of Awesome
- Crusading Widower: He had a human wife, who was killed by the Vampaneze. He hunted that Vampaneze down, and hated the others even more than any other vampire.
- Interspecies Romance.
- Tattoo as Character Type: He has arrows tattooed on his arms and temples. He was named after them.
Prince Mika Ver Leth
- Dark and Troubled Past: his mother figure was killed.
- Goofy Print Underwear: yellow boxers with pink elephants.
- Killed Off for Real
- You Shall Not Pass: To the Vampaneze. It didn't work, because of Kurda's betrayal.
- Action Girl: She remained undefeated in a game for eleven years, and even Mr. Crepsley considered it suicide to challenge her in it. She also took the Trials of Death multiple times to prove herself worthy of being a vampire.
- Amicable Exes: With Mr. Crepsley.
- Faux Action Girl: Her badassery is always talked about, but it's never shown. She remained champion of a game for eleven years, even Mr Crepsley thinks it's suicide to challenge her in it, but first Darren humiliates her in it -tho he still loses-, then she loses to Kurda in one move. Then in the battle with the vampaneze, it's stated that she had killed many others, but the only one she's actually shown fighting, mortally wounds her.
- Killed Off for Real
- Last Request: She made Mr. Crepsley swore that he wouldn't let the Princes to sentence Darren to death.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Darren found her flirting with Mr Crepsley rather strange.
- Actual Pacifist
- Badass Pacifist
- Back from the Dead: He's Harkat's true identity. Although it seems to be more of a reincarnation, since while they share the same soul, and after learning the truth Harkat also gained back Kurda's memories, they're actually two different person, and when Kurda had to choose whether he wanted to live again, he choose to die, and let Harkat live.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Subverted. He betrayed the clan, and killed one his own friends, but he did it to save them.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Most vampire considers him weak, because of his usual refusal to fight, so it came by a total surprise when he beat Arra Sails in a game she remained undefeated for eleven years. As he put it to Darren:I dislike fighting. But it doesn't mean I can't fight.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: His win over Arra Sails.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He betrayed the Clan, in order to save them from the Lord of the Vampaneze, and the war he heralded.
- Badass Grandpa
- Mentor Archetype: Larten's.
- Elderly Immortal: He's the second oldest living vampire when introduced with only Prince Paris being older than him.
- Handicapped Badass: He lost an eye wrestling a lion in his youth. He lost the other in the battle against the Vampaneze allied to Kurda.
- All-Powerful Bystander: Not as powerful as Mr. Tiny, but just like him, she can't interfere with the events no matter how much she would like for the same reasons.
- Berserk Button: She' quite volatile, so be careful around her:
- Don't call her a witch.
- Don't try to force yourself on her when she's wears one of her beautiful forms.
- Don't try to mess with the fate of the world.
- Seers: She can look into the various possible futures.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She can look however she wants to. She mostly looks like a short ugly hag, who wears nothing but ropes around her body, has stubby little fingers with claws on her pinkies, and Mismatched Eyes, that are constantly switching their color.
A snakeboy working at the cirque.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Is really good at learning languages.
- Dark and Troubled Past: his biological parents treated him like a monster, sold him to a circus where the ringmaster abused him, but was happily saved by Mr.Tall.
- Teen Genius
- Healing Factor: He can regenerate any of his bodyparts. When he's head was cut down, two grew in it's place.
- Action Girl
- Badass Teacher
- Interspecies Romance: She fell in love with Darren, a half-vampire.
- Jail Bait Wait: Subverted. As an adult, she refused to get involved with Darren who looked like a teen, but when Darren's second Purge started in Lord of Shaddows, and he explained to her that he'd not only be turned into a full vampire, but will also grow up to look his actual age in a few weeks, she was quite happy to point out that this means he won't be a boy anymore, but a man.
- May-December Romance: Subverted. They are the same age, but by the time they met again sixteen years later, she was an adult, while Darren appeared to be around seventeen.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Hemlock is a poisonous plant. And she hates her family is named after it! Subverted however, as she's a very kindhearted person.
- Puppy Love: She and Darren were around twelve the first time they met and dated.
- She's All Grown Up: It took sometime for Darren to recognize her, when they're reunited sixteen years after their first meeting.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Darren.
- Student Teacher Romance: Subverted. Despite their mutual attraction she refused to get involved with Darren, because she felt it would be wrong, as a teacher and adult.
- Teen Pregnancy: She had Darius when she was sixteen.