Leone "Léon" Montana
Played by: Jean RenoA mysterious assassin living alone. He ends up 'adopting' his young next-door neighbor after her family is murdered.
- Anti-Hero: He's a decent enough guy. But he still makes a living by killing people.
- Badass Longcoat: Covering an even more badass rig for his pistols, silencer, spare magazines, grenades and bolt cutters.
- Book Dumb: He can't even read before he takes in Mathilda.
- Celibate Hero: Has not had a girlfriend since his last one died in the old country.
- Consummate Professional: Proficient with everything from his bare hands to explosives, doesn't drink alcohol, doesn't leave witnesses or evidence, lives off the grid, doesn't form emotional attachments and, aside from occasional trips to the cinema and tending to his plant, seems to have no life at all outside of professional killing.
- Cool Shades: Some badass circle shades.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Léon's death scene counts — especially since he takes Stansfield with him."This is... from Mathilda..." (BANG!)
- Noble Demon: "No women, no kids."
- Loners Are Freaks: Before meeting Mathilda.
- Taking You with Me: As Stansfield looks down at the mortally wounded Leon, smirking, Leon hands him something... it turns out to be a grenade pin.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Gotta have his milk.
Played by: Natalie PortmanAn intelligent and tough young girl who becomes Léon's protégée following the death of her family.
- Bodyguard Crush: Mathilda has one of these for Léon.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Mathilda doesn't give a damn about the rest of her family — but the bastards who killed her little brother must die.
- Hot For Teacher: Develops a crush on Leon.
Played by: Gary OldmanA corrupt DEA agent on drugs who slaughters Mathilda's family.
- Big Bad: He murdered Mathilda's family at the start of the film and seeking revenge on him is what drove her to join Leon.
- Cowboy Cop: A rare villainous example.
- Dirty Cop: They don't make 'em much dirtier than this. Is involved in drug running (and apparently likes to sample the product) and will kill just about anyone who gets in his way.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Reacts to an old woman asking him what he's doing by shooting at her. This is pretty much par for the course for Stansfield.
- Hand Cannon: Packs a snubnose .44 Magnum.
- Jerkass: His own men could hardly stand working alongside him.
- Lack of Empathy: If he had any he wouldn't be able to live with what he does.
- Large Ham: Oldman delivers a wonderfully over-the-top performance, to the point where some people consider him to stray into Narm territory at points.
- Laughably Evil: While he's a ruthless and psychotic corrupt cop who is not above murdering children, it's hard to not laugh at some (if not all) of his deranged outburst.
- Light Is Not Good: Wears light clothes and is the worst person in the film.
- Perma-Stubble: He has one. Matches his evil look.
- Rabid Cop: One of the worst in Western cinema. Makes Harvey Keitel in Bad Lieutenant look like Corporal Carrot.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Even the last thing he ever says is, "Shit".
- Sophisticated as Hell: While discussing the beauty of Beethoven, he has a "creative" way of discussing the composer's shortcomings.Stansfield: So powerful... But after his openings, to be honest, he does tend to get a little fucking boring.
- Villainous Breakdown: EEVVVERRYYYYONNNEEEE!!!
- Wicked Cultured: He is a fan of both Mozart and Beethoven, especially Beethoven. Brahms too.
- Would Hurt a Child: Very nearly kills Mathilda - and implies that he'll enjoy doing it - before being stopped at the last minute by news of the death of one of his subordinates.
Played By: Peter AppelStansfield right hand man and Dragon.
- The Dragon: To Stansfield.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Yells at Willie Blood (one of the cops in Stansfield's unit) after he kills Mathilda's brother.
- Famous Last Words: "Easy man, I'm a cop."
- Only Sane Man: Serves as this to Stansfield's unit, keeping a cool head after the raid on Mathilda's family and yelling at Benny after the latter almost shot him (Malky) and Stansfield.
- Sacrificial Lion: The first of Stansfield's unit to die.