Characters: The Naked Gun
Lieutenant Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen)
- Accidental Hero: Is quite an expert at this, as mentioned at the beginning of 2 as having killed his 1000th Drug Dealer (the latter two hit with his car, although they turned out to be drug dealers), and later on unwittingly hitting a police station robber with the door as he walks in.
- The Ace: He seems to be something like this in the field of police work, although much of it happens through luck and several Accidental Hero moments.
- The Comically Serious: His main character trait is that he's always deadpan serious despite all the bizareness that surrounds him. This is a key trait of Leslie Nielsen's acting style in his comedic roles.
- Drives Like Crazy: Every time he's behind the wheel, he hits something. It's a Running Gag that he tends to crash into stuff outside the place he's driving to.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: As discovered when he performs the National Anthem to an entire crowd of baseball spectators (that includes the Queen of England!).
- Lethal Klutz: He accidentally killed his fiancée before the events of the first movie, a fact that Drebin remains blissfully unaware of.
- Literal-Minded: In many, many ways.
- Love at First Sight: With Jane.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Becomes this to Rocco's gang in the third film when he impersonates a thug called "Slasher" McGurk.
Nordberg (OJ Simpson)
- Amusing Injuries
- Butt Monkey: Has a wide string of bad luck in every movie. Just watch his first appearance. It doesn't end there.
- Black Best Friend
Jane Spencer (later Drebin)
- Big Bad: Of the first movie
- Disney Villain Death: He falls over the railing of the football stadium.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Falls over the railing of a football stadium, gets rolled over by a car, flattened by a steam roller and finally is trampled over by a marching band.
- Big Bad: Of the second movie
- Disney Villain Death: Subverted. He is pushed out of a high window by Ed, but survives, only to be attacked by a lion that had escaped the zoo along with the other animals earlier.
- Affably Evil: He's very polite toward his teammates.
- Big Bad: Of the third film, while Papshmir is the Bigger Bad.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: His most redeeming trait. He clearly loves his mom and crosses the Despair Event Horizon when she's killed.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He calls out his mom when she insults Papshmir's clients and views Frank as his brother when he think he's an terrorist like him and isn't happy when he learns the truth.
- Evil Virtues: Honesty, Honour, Love and Valour.
- Karmic Death: He's blown up by his own nuke.
- Mad Bomber: He plans to nuke the Academy Award celebration.
- Bigger Bad: Of the first and third movies