Characters: The Most Popular Girls in School
open/close all folders
The Overland Park Cheer Squad
The Squad In General
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The team has been cut in half by Season 3. Ashley Katchadourian quit because she was The Chew Toy, Jenna Darabond quit because of her evil schemes, and Jenna Dapananian finally quit because she was tired of being Locked Out of the Loop.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: More in season two, though originally Trisha seemed to be the only one who was genuinely friends with Mackenzie and Brittnay.
"Who the fuck are you?"
Head cheerleader, homecoming queen, part-time model. Current head cheerleader of the Overland Park Cheer Squad, Mackenzie is the definition of Alpha Bitch
. Her actions early on in the series start the Cheerleader-Van Buren war.
- Alpha Bitch: Interestingly, she was formerly Beta Bitch to Shay Van Buren.
- Big Sister Instinct: She does seem to have a decent amount of concern when Mikayla threatens to tell everyone at their school that her little sister has cooties.
- Cassandra Truth: None of the adults believe Jenna Darabond is capable of destroying public property so Mackenzie's statements regarding her actions tend to fall on deaf ears.
- Catch Phrase: "Mackenzie Zales. Head cheerleader, homecoming queen, part time model."
- The Cheerleader
- The Chessmaster: Orchestrated the entire parent-teacher conference by blowing up Brittnay's car, knowing Brittnay would punch Jenna in the face. She also called Jenna's dad and Cameron for the parent-teacher so they would have an affair, causing him to resign from office. Finally, she recorded Jenna admitting to burning down the Atchison mall and gave it to the police as proof so Jenna could be arrested for arson. Goddayum!
- Even A Bitch Has Standards: She is visibly horrified learning that Jenna Darabond burned down the Atchison Cheer Squad's mall.
- Freudian Excuse: She's a bitch, to be sure, but with a mother like hers, would you be the most pleasant person in the world?
- Heroic Heelization Speech: At prom, she and Shay realize they actually should be working on maintaining friendships and being kind, before rejecting the idea and deciding that they now have a common goal of destroying Rachel Tice.
- I Did What I Had to Do: She gives this reasoning to Brittnay when she explains that she blew up Brittnay's car.
- I Gave My Word: Back in the 3rd Grade, Mackenzie promised Brittnay that so long as they were friends she wouldn't get screwed over, and now Brittnay is justifying her rampage because Mackenzie went back on it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The heart of gold is hidden under nine layers of bitch, of course, but she seems to care about her team (in her own way), and genuinely loves and is protective of her sister... a bit like Shay, really.
- Klingon Promotion: She got to be head cheerleader only because Shay was hit by a hacky sack and rendered incapacitated at the day of the auditions. Granted, she didn't kill Shay, so it's not a strict example of this trope.
- Morality Pet: Her little sister. Mackenzie tries to get her mom to cut back on the nasty talk when her sister's around because she's only 7.
- My God, What Have I Done?: In the season 4 opener, Mackenzie has this reaction when she realizes Brittnay is the one who destroyed the lockers and is going to do a lot more worse. It seems that by destroying Brittnay's car, Mackenzie went back on the promise she made in the 3rd Grade that Brittnay wouldn't be screwed over if they were friends.
- Only Sane Man: Subverted around Brittnay and Trisha. We've seen Mackenzie do some stupid things but she's obviously the smart one in the group. She also tries to keep her mom's swearing down for the sake of her little sister and truly recognizes Jenna Darabond is a monster who is far beyond Shay Van Buren and Tanya Berkowitz as humanly possible.
- Revenge Before Reason: She just loves revenge way too much.
- Serious Business: Being prom queen and controlling the girls bathroom.
- Sitcom Arch Enemy: To Shay Van Buren.
- Small Name, Big Ego
- Smug Snake: She loves rubbing it into Brittnay's face that she's only "co-head vice captain of the cheer squad."
- Verbal Tic: She tends to start sentences in a ridiculously high pitched voice before lowering it.
- Villainous Breakdown: When she has to wait for the prom queen announcement.
- Villain Protagonist
"I swear to God, if this blows up in your face, you had better believe that I will take this megaphone and shove it up your ass."
The co-head vice captain of the cheer squad with some anger issues.
"DO YOU KNOW WHAT THESE ARE, ASHLEY KATCHADOURIAN? THESE ARE A LITTLE GIRLS ARMS. A LITTLE GIRL WITH DREAMS, WITH LEGS. WITH A HEAD."
The nicest member of the Cheer Squad, something of a ditz, and NOT someone to underestimate.
- Ambiguously Brown: She's a bit darker skinned than some people. Coincidentally, this is also justified as she has an Italian surname, making her somewhat ethnic.
- Arch-Enemy: At this point, Ashley Katchadourian. Ashley seems to be the only person whom Trisha can be naturally and intentionally nasty towards on a regular basis.
- Audience Surrogate: In episode 31, she's the one to Lampshade how everything that's happened in the show so far is finally making sense.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She can be kind of bitchy if she's up to it.
- Breakout Character: She received her own spin-off, "The Trisha Show," with Atchison's Trisha as co-host.
- Characterization Marches On: She's a lot bitchier than normal in the first episode, with no real reason behind it, unlike later episodes where she bitches out Ashley Katchadourian, who pretty much deserves it. Except no.
- Crossdressing Voices: Obviously.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: Implied to be the case with Matthew Derringer. Her mom, however, seems to like Matthew just fine.
- The Ditz
- Dumb Is Good: Nicest girl among the cast, with the exception of Amberlynn.
- Fiery Redhead: Averted most of the time, played straight when she really gets mad.
- Friendly Enemy: She's made friends with Mikayla Van Buren and the Atchison cheer squad's Trisha, and no one really has a problem with this.
- Genius Ditz: She's not very book smart and misunderstands sarcasm, but when it comes to Cheer Squad regulations she's really on the ball.
- Girl Posse
- Karmic Protection: She's being spared by Brittnay because Brittnay considers her a true friend as Trisha has never done anything to hurt her.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch
- Morality Pet: To Brittnay.
- My God, What Have I Done?: To discovering Ashley Katchadourian was not in charge of the door.
- Of course, Trisha's only form of apologizing was saying "No hard feelings" when she saw Ashley for the first time after prom. In episode 31 she really has this moment when she learns about Jenna Darabond's evil plan and awkwardly motions to Ashley.
- Nice Girl: The only time she ever does anything truly mean-spirited is when she attacks Ashley on prom night.
- Not So Harmless
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: In a sense. She apparently is in charge of all formal paperwork for the Cheer Squad.
- Odd Friendship: Seems to have formed one with Mikayla Van Buren.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Whenever she slips out of her usual laid back tone, prepare for some shit to go down.
- Pop-Cultured Badass: Makes frequent references to movies whenever she's verbally destroying someone.
- Serious Business: She's "the cheer squad scheduling council" and she takes this job very seriously.
- Schedule Fanatic: Normally, Trisha's a bit of The Ditz, but when it comes to the cheer squad's schedule, she's incredibly thorough and competent.
- Skewed Priorities
- Token Good Teammate: Kind to others and keen on maintaining friendships. Also took Deandra's loss of arms rather personally.
How do you say.. menage ŕ trois?
An exchange student who is either from France or Montreal, and a source of annoyance to both Brittnay Matthews and Lunch Lady Belinda. She gets pregnant with Blaine's baby and names it Brittnay.
- Bare Your Midriff: Same goes for her back when she turns around.
- Canada, Eh?: She's from Montreal, apparently.
- Crossdressing Voices
- Fake Nationality: In-Universe, if she is indeed Canadian. Although the doll that is used for her, a Disney Princess Belle doll, is based on a character that is from France.
- Gratuitous French: She just pronounces everything with a French-ish lisp and asks "How do you say?" before a lot of words.
- Only Friend: She seems to have some sort of friendship with Shay van Buren since episode 10, especially when she tried to comfort her by saying 'maybe no one noticed' about "Gay" van Buren. Then in episode 14, she's seen talking with her.
- It's been established in Episode 19 that Shay is her best friend when Shay saw her hanging around with Brittnay as her "best friend". However, Brittnay only did it to get on TV.
- Sixth Ranger: When she joins the Overland Park cheer squad. In season three she is asked to rejoin, by Brittnay of all people, because they couldn't get anyone else besides Shay Van Buren and Atchison's Trisha.
- Teen Pregnancy: The plot of episode 14, after Trisha finds a positive pregnancy test and tries to hunt down the mother-to-be. Looks like Lunch Lady Belinda was right about Saison and Blaine making a baby on prom night.
- She gives birth in the lunchroom and her baby is delivered by Deandra, Belinda, and Atchison's Trisha. Saison names it Brittnay.
- Too Dumb to Live
- Verbal Tic: Saison Marguerite's "How d'you say..." which drives Brittnay absolutely insane.
Woah, she sounds like HBO.
Atchison's resident ditz and bureaucrat.
- Ambiguously Brown
- The Ditz
- Dumb Is Good
- Evil Counterpart: For a small measure of evil. She's not bad, but she is on the opposing cheer squad. She's louder than the Overland Park Trisha and may even be dumber. Compare the number of times her teammates tell her to stop to the number of times Overland Park Trisha is told to stop.
- Friendly Enemy: With Overland Park Trisha! In fact, they're quite a ball when they're together.
- To that end, when the Overland Park squad wins the Cheer Nationals, Trisha chooses to chew out Ashley Katchadourian instead of Atchison's Trisha.
- Heel-Face Turn
- Karmic Protection: She never really does anything truly malicious beyond what Tanya wants her to do, and the other half of her screen time is her bonding with Overland Park's Trisha. So when Atchison loses Cheer Nationals, Trisha Cappaletti decides to rant against Ashley Katchadourian while Atchison's Trisha stands on the side.
- Subverted in the episode 59. Brittnay does spray paint her locker, but it's a lengthy message saying that, while she doesn't really know Trisha that well to call her "whore" or "bitch," she's still a little annoying so she's on thin ice.
- Name's the Same: With the Overland Park Trisha. Which lead to an exchange where they had a back-and-forth of asking each other's name.
- Sixth Ranger: On the Overland Park Squad. She is literally the sixth member since she was the last person to be asked to join after Saison and Shay.
- Token Good Teammate: When she was a member of the Atchison Cheersquad.
Shay Van Buren
"Mikayla, I'm six feet tall and I weigh a hundred and five pounds. I think I know how to mix Ex-Lax into a drink."
The only member of her family not to make Head Cheer Captain, center of the other side of Overland Park's popular girls, and not
a "fucking liar."
- Alpha Bitch
- Bad Boss: Averted. Upon being named the new head of the Cheer Squad, Shay's first decisions including hiring a professional to teach the squad how to truly be popular and has commissioned a gorgeous new set of uniforms. Although it seems beyond that, even if she has the title of head cheerleader, Mackenzie is still calling the shots.
- Berserk Button: Being called a "fucking liar," which sets off the whole series.
- Blondes Are Bitches
- Crossdressing Voices
- Deadpan Snarker
- Demoted to Extra: The Van Buren sisters are pretty much put aside for most of the second season to focus on the feud between the cheer squads.
- Embarrassing Nick Name: Gay Van Buren.
- Fallen Princess: While popular in her own right, she was originally going to be the cheer captain. Being incapacitated by a hacky sack to the head changed that.
- And now she managed to get cheer captain back from Mackenzie, who asks her to join the squad because they couldn't get anyone else and they are losing their popular status to Jenna Darabond's hipsters. Shay demanded that the only way she would join the squad was if she could be captain, and Mackenzie was so desperate she finally conceded.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Heroic Heelization Speech: At prom, she and Mackenzie realize they actually should be working on maintaining friendships and being kind, before rejecting the idea and deciding that they now have a common goal of destroying Rachel Tice.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She might be a giant bitch but she also seems to truly consider herself friends with Deandra.
- Lean and Mean: She weighs 105 pounds.
- Middle Child Syndrome
- My Greatest Failure: Not being cheer captain. She overcomes this when she finally becomes cheerleader captain.
- Old Shame: Don't bring up her shaven head in third grade.
- Only Sane Man: The only one in her family with any common sense, though Mikayla is a close second. She's also slowly evolved into this for the show as a whole. If Matthew Derringer or Tanner aren't available, chances are Shay will play the voice of reason in a situation.
- Revenge Before Reason
- Sitcom Arch Enemy: To Mackenzie.
The Van Burens
- Rich Bitch: All the Van Buren women apparently. The third season reveals they're loaded.
- Small Name, Big Ego: The Van Burens consider themselves to be a dynasty of "high school socialites," and Cameron often brags about how she jet-sets from one county to the next.
Cameron Van Buren
"Um, Witchita State is great. I'm in like, a shit ton of sororities, and I have a twenty-nine year old boyfriend. Suck itttt!"
The most popular girl in the history of the Blue Valley School District, and she knows it.
- Alpha Bitch: She's regarded as the most popular girl in the history of the Blue Valley School District, even though she graduated and is now at Wichita State University.
- Big Sister Instinct: She immediately got involved the moment she heard Shay was being called "a fucking liar." Which was mere seconds after Shay herself heard it.
- Blondes Are Bitches
- Deadpan Snarker
- Foil: To Rachel Tice's older sister.
- Gender-Blender Name: Cameron Van Buren. Brittany even lampshades it in the episode 13 when she insinuates that Cameron has testicles, to which Cameron angrily replies "that was a rumor!"
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Cameron is by no means a "good girl" and as for getting an abortion? She's getting an entire wing of an abortion clinic named after her.
- It's pretty much stated the reason Cameron has so many abortions is because she "forgets" to take her morning after pills when her boyfriends threaten to leave her.
- Offscreen Teleportation: She somehow managed to make it to Overland Park High from Wichita State in mere seconds after hearing that Mackenzie called Shay "a fucking liar."
- Really Gets Around
- Sitcom Arch Enemy: While Shay has it out for Mackenzie, Cameron has set her sights on taking Brittnay Matthews down.
- Unwitting Pawn: Mackenzie used her to break up Jenna Darabond's family by sleeping with Jenna's senator father via getting the two to meet.
Mikayla Van Buren
I was born in 2003. I have no idea what a gremlin is.
Cameron and Shay's little sister and the most popular girl at Meadowlane Elementary School. Denies she has lice even though she infected the entire 3rd grade.
Jayna Van Buren
Girls, girls! You're all treasures. Lovely accidental treasures. Mistakes, but treasures.
The mother of the Van Buren girls and an expert on using laxatives to poison people. Currently pregnant with a fourth child and is a heavy alcoholic and pill addict. It turns out she's not pregnant. She's just fat.
The Football Team
Was that the goddamn baby?!
Trisha Cappelletti's boyfriend.
Oh Blaine you beautiful idiot
The quarterback of the football team.
Tanner: Blaine, serious talk right now. Having a child is a huge responsibly.
Justin: Yeah, unless of course you move to Pittsburgh with your receptionist on your son's fourth birthday!
Ashley Katchadourian's boyfriend.
- Daddy Issues: Just see the above quote.
- Flat Character: Only because out of the football team, he has the least amount of screentime and not much depth in characterization in spite of daddy issues and being a compulsive cheater.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: He quits the football team and becomes a hipster on Jenna Darabond's orders, but after a discussion on it with Matthew Derringer, it's clear Justin still considers the guys his friends. Much later, he rejoins the team after breaking up with Jenna and helps them win the championship.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He breaks up with Jenna Darabond because he's tired of her hypocritical notions of loving Justin but never spending time with him unless he's doing something for her, and calls her out on being a manipulative and psychotic bitch.
- Your Cheating Heart: Thought nothing of Brittnay randomly making out with him, received a blowjob from Rachel in exchange for voting her Prom Queen, and according to Shay and Deandra, may have/had a fling with Mackenzie. All of this has happened while dating Ashley. The third season also reveals that he once made out with Mackenzie right in front of Jenna Darabond, which was Jenna's Rage Breaking Point. He is currently now with Jenna Darabond, but breaks up with her at the end of the third season.
Oh nine months?! That's like two years!
Britney's ex-boyfriend and Saison's boyfriend.
Deandra, the New Girl
The new girl at Overland Park, her only interests seem to be pooping and having a comfortable place to poop in.
- Ambiguously Jerkass: Aligns herself with both rivaling parties, but likely unintentionally, not with true malice intended.
- She later aligns herself with the Overland Park cheerleaders against Atchison when they have a common enemy, Tanya Berkowitz.
- An Arm and a Leg: She has her arms ripped off by the Cheerleaders and the Van Burens.
- Artificial Limb: She gets prosthetics in episode 14, one regular and one robotic.
- Berserk Button: Lying to her about food and talking about the Atchison Cheer Squad.
- Big Damn Heroes: She shows up at Cheer Nationals to help the Overland Park squad beat Atchison after Ashley betrays them, simply because she's tired of Tanya Berkowitz.
- Big Eater: She chomps away a 57$ lunch.
- As Episode 17 shows, do not get between her and her dinner.
- Brutal Honesty
- Calling Your Bathroom Breaks: Without a hint of shame, at that.
- The Cheerleader
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Though unintentionally.
- Crossdressing Voices
- Dark Secret: Apparently, something happened between Deandra and the Atchison High Cheer Squad that she does not want to talk about. It turns out she used to be the head of the Atchison Cheer Squad before a mixture of a pastrami quesedilla, chili dogs, Code Red Mountain Dew, and unpopped pop rocks caused her to defecate over her squad and everything in a thirty foot radius while doing a pyramid. Deandra blames Tanya Berkowitz for it since she gave her the Pop Rocks in the first place, wondering what kind of person just happens to carry Pop Rocks with them.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Disability Superpower
Deandra: Things are fucking awesome for me. I just won the hundred metres in the Special Olympics, I lost like ..
: Oh my god, what is your secret?
- False Friend: To everyone.
- Freudian Excuse: Her determination to find a comfortable place to poop in stems from the horrific incident where she had a bout of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and crapped all over her squad during a pyramid demonstration back at Atchison.
- Genre Savvy: A little late at this point, but now she recognizes that getting involved any further with the Cheer Squad would not be a good idea and stays out of their affairs.
- Hidden Depths: She's a registered midwife.
- Her Name Really is Thenewgirl: At prom, she is literally announced as "Deandra Thenewgirl".
- Hyperactive Metabolism: She eats enough to feed a family in the meals she mentions, but still wears a size zero dress.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Getting her arms ripped off, if you see her as a bitch.
- Limited Wardrobe: She always wears the same dress. At prom...
Shay: Can I just say, um, I love your dress.
Deandra: It's the exact same dress I've been wearing every day at school.
- Made of Plasticine: Let's face it, the worst thing that could happen to someone when their arms are being tugged by a bunch of people on each side, is the shoulder bones to be dislocated. Instead, she gets her fucking arms ripped off.
- Nobody Poops: She's the living personification of this trope averted, because half of her screentime is about her pooping, going to poop somewhere, or wanting to poop somewhere.
- Not So Above It All: About the importance of prom.
- Only One Name
- Pet the Dog: She earnestly tried to get Atchison to stop antagonizing the Overland Park cheer squad by pointing out what happened to her, but later decided to help the Overland Park squad because she was tired of Tanya pushing her around.
- Punch Clock Villain: Is the first to ask if the girls talk about anything besides revenge.
- Sixth Ranger: When she joins the Overland Park squad during Cheer Nationals. She later joins the football team in the third season because of her robot arm.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only girl on the Overland Park football team.
- Speech Impediment: Has a lisp and a slight case of Elmuh Fudd Syndwome.
- Tom Boy: Compared to most of the girls in the series.
- True Neutral: She is a member of the cheerleaders and the Van Burens because she does not actually care about anything and just gets caught up in everyone's schemes.
- In season three, she refuses to join the cheer squad, citing that she's well aware at this point of how the squad keeps getting involved in stupid squabbles and she wants no part in it.
Jonathan "Than" Getslinhaumer
Hey! That's not my name!
An Overland Park student who has a habit for spouting out arrogant statements and gay innuendos, much to the disgust and frustration of the football team.
- Abusive Parents: Implied when Brittnay punched Than in the stomach, which prompts him to say that it reminded him of his mother.
- Ambiguously Bi/Ambiguously Gay: Than was this for much of the first two seasons: he watches the football team take showers all the time apparently, but he still agrees to go to the prom with Shay and have sex with Brittnay. The end of season 2 made it clear he was actually gay, when he came out of the closet. Then Double Subverted when he said he pretended to be gay so Tanner could like him (in a one-sided way). Of course, this leaves many of the guys still in doubt.
- In season 3, he tries to enforce the former trope after discovering that bisexuality is a thing.
- Butt Monkey
- Coming-Out Story: Parodied.
- Depraved Homosexual: The first thing he does when he came out: going to the boys' locker room and making out with Tanner. Even before that, he loved sexually-harassing the football team every chance he could.
- Do Not Call Me Jonathan: Jonathan, or rather, Than.
- The Mole: Was this for Jenna Darabond's hipsters after joining the Football Team, but decided having the guys actually like him was more important and went back on Jenna's plans during the championship.
- The Scrappy: In-universe, Than is this to most of Overland Park. The Football Team completely hates him and wishes he would go away, Brittnay only starts dating him because they both hate the Football Team and Than is more than willing to engage in anal sex, and the fact that he took Shay Van Buren to prom is more of a sign of how far she fell after the "Gay Van Buren" escapade. The only one who really treats him with any civility is Tristan.
- After joining the football team, the rest of the guys start to see Than as an actual friend and begin to treat him as such, although they make it clear they're not interested in him sexually.
- Stalker with a Crush: Implied to be his motive for why he's always in the locker room. It's likely that he has feelings for Tanner, seeing as though Tanner takes the brunt of his annoying stalkerish behaviours and sexual harassment.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: He just won't take the hint that the Football Team loathes him completely. When he comes out, he thinks that it's because everyone but Tanner is homophobic.
- Transparent Closet: Parodied and exaggerated beyond belief - he makes constant comments to the football team about wanting to have anal sex, give blowjobs to or take showers with them. Yet, he still claims to be straight. Tanner is particularly frustrated by all this.
- That Came Out Wrong: He and Tobias Fünke would Have a Gay Old Time together.
"LA LA LA, I LOVE GOSSIP GIRL SOOOOO MUCH!"Fucking
Rachel Tice is the most unpopular girl at Overland Park ever since she ate a roly-poly in the 3rd grade. She obsesses over Gossip Girl
and her only friend is Judith.
Rachel Tice's best friend.
Well. I think this should really be a night for all of us to celebrate together you guys. Like I know it's a cliche, but it's such an honor to be just nominated.The
nicest girl at Overland Park High.
"It was cool, I guess."
Spread the rumor that Brittnay gives second rate handjobs.
- Jerkass: Told everyone in school that Brittnay gives bad handjobs, refuses to stop telling people, and after being asked out by her, ditches her in the parking lot on Prom Night after getting a handjob.
- Terse Talker: That quote up there? That's the longest line he's had on the show.
- Though this was averted in his latest appearance at Jenna Darabond's Hipchellastockalooza concert where he shows up as an audience along with the other Overland Park students.
A member of the Color Guard who is the one that told Brittnay about Saison really being from Montreal.
- Bit Character
- The Ghost: She was only mentioned once in the second episode, but didn't appear until the third season during a flashback to Mackenzie's New Year's party. Her lack of appearance is even lampshaded by Brittnay, with Jennifer stating she hasn't been seen because she's now on the Color Guard. Jennifer herself lampshades the fact that Brittnay, and the audience, most likely wouldn't be seeing her again.
- Morality Pet: She is one of the few people Brittnay seems to have no issue with, and trusts Jennifer's statements on the grounds that she hasn't lied since the third grade.
- Ms. Exposition
- Noodle Incident: Claims the last time she ever lied was to save a boy's life.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: She accidentally sparks Brittnay's scathing hatred of Saison simply by stating she's not from France like she tells everyone she is.
The biggest ghost
in the whole series, mentioned once, who has yet to make an actual appearance like the other ghost characters have so far.
- Bit Character: All we know about her is, upon Trisha vomiting in the bathroom stall in the third episode, she apologizes and says she'll contact Amber. This implies Amber has some job in the girls room and may or may not have a connection to the Cheer Squad.
- The Ghost
- Spell My Name with an "S": People assumed her name was spelled "Zendaihouse" but the Youtube captions spell her name "Zendejas."
"I-I was at Pearl Harbor."She was supposed to be watching the door. Actually, no, she wasn't. You know she's in charge of snacks, right?
- Arch-Enemy: At this point it's pretty clear she's Trisha's.
- Backstabbing the Alpha Bitch: Planning it for a while. Officially backstabbed when it came to cheer nationals as she joined the Atchison High cheer squad so her own squad would be unable to compete now that there are only five of them.
- Badass Longcoat: Her Paper-Thin Disguise at best, plus Cool Shades.
- Bad Liar
- Breakout Character: Since she got involved with the Atchison High cheer squad, there have been episodes where in which give her an extensive amount of screen time.
- Broken Bird: She's been suffering from so much anxiety that her mom's been sneaking medication into her food and her doctor's told her she has ulcers.
- Butt Monkey: Cemented in episode 22 when Deandra tosses her across the mall as a demonstration of her robot arm's strength, followed by Ashley's rather pathetic pleas for someone to help her going unheard.
- Demoted to Extra: Invoked in-universe when she asks to be left out of the current conflict after all she's gone through. However, she has a pretty prominent role in episode 58.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Getting completely annihilated by Trisha's "The Reason You Suck" Speech and having her boyfriend make out with Brittnay on prom night all in response to something she wasn't responsible for.
- Face-Heel Turn: Episode 15 implies Ashley is planning on getting revenge for what Trisha and the others did to her.
- The Ghost: Until episode 11.
- Meaningful Name: Her last name sounds like "Catch a door."
- Misblamed: Jenna Darabond was supposed to watching the door, but Deandra said it was Ashley that let her in, so Trisha blamed her.
- The Mole
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: She gets blamed for Deandra's maiming because she wasn't watching the door when she was supposed to, though it turns out she really wasn't in charge at all.
- Running Gag: Deandra mistaking her as a flasher. It's continually brought up when recalling what happened several weeks prior to cheer nationals.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: In Episode 21. And she is terrible at it. Brittnay lampshades it immediately.
- True Neutral: Ashley Katchadourian returns in Episode 31 but is not interested with having to do with anything as of late and is just set on doing her own thing, steering away from the shitstorm as much as possible. Trisha acknowledges her on that path.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: She's responsible for the entire series starting off all because she wasn't watching the door to the girls bathroom. Though it turns out she wasn't responsible for watching the door.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: She didn't sound anything beyond conniving and was quite timid when she was first seen. But after Trisha lashes out on her for leaving the door unguarded which lead to Deandra getting her arms ripped off, she's been bitter ever since. She didn't even forgive Trisha after apologizing to her.
- However, she gives a sweet and heartfelt speech about being free to like the things you like regardless if people think it's popular or not and inspires others to follow her example.
- Walking Spoiler: All that white, for Pete's sakes. It only applies if you're still new to the show and you've decided to watch the very first episode, as a good start for the more eventful things to come.
"When the fuck did everyone in this school started talking in goddamn code?"She's been absent because her dad has been sick a lot.
As such, she's completely out of the loop regarding what's been going on at Overland Park.
- Ambiguously Bi: She did seem to be very interested when Jenna Darabond revealed she swings both ways.
- Brick Joke: In the first episode Trisha wondered if Jenna Darabond's dad was sick or died, then realized she was getting her confused with Jenna Dapananian. As it turns out, this Jenna's dad was the sick one.
- Characterization Marches On: She started as someone who spent her time expressing annoyance that she has no idea what is going on, but by the third and fourth seasons she's now someone who really wants to make out while also getting extremely high.
- Deadpan Snarker: How she gets by when commenting on things nobody ever explained to her about.
- The Ghost: Until episode 21.
- Locked Out of the Loop: No one seems willing to fill her in on what's been going on at Overland Park.
- Only Sane Woman: She has no idea what everyone is talking about and can't get a straight answer from any of the Cheer Squad.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: At the end up episode 30, probably because she's tired of no one telling her what's going on.
- The Stoner: Following the end of the third season, it seems she's gotten addicted to drugs as a byproduct of inhaling too much secondhand marijuana smoke.
Click here to see her picture
Due to mysterious circumstances, she's been absent for an indefinite amount of time and as a result, is replaced by Saison Margeurite so Overland Park is qualified to cheer for cheer nationals... and is originally in charge of the door
- Asshole Victim: Depending whether she deserved to be stabbed to death by Tanya Berkowitz for burning down the mall and considering everything she did that kick started certain events that had gone on since the very first season or it's a case of Disproportionate Retribution (seriously, getting her sent to jail thanks to Mackenzie's plan was adequate enough), she had it coming.
- May now be Death is Cheap, as Rachel Tice implies in Episode 59 that Jenna is still alive
- Ax-Crazy: She burnt down the Atchison Mall and blew up Brittnay's car.
- Bigger Bad: She's masterminded all three seasons and she didn't even appear on screen until Episode 30.
- Bi the Way
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- The Chessmaster: Her first actual appearance has her watching the Overland Park squad through a pair of binoculars, begrudgingly conceding that Mackenzie wins this round but that she'll have something else in store. It's implied (and later confirmed) that she had something to do with the feud between the Overland Park and Atchison Cheer Squads, if not everything else that's been going on since the first episode.
- Episode 31 made it all clear that she had something to do with everything that's been going on, from Deandra being let in to the bathroom up to Cheer Nationals. Talk about an evil plan.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Why she planned on messing with the cheer squad in the first place. When she saw Ashley kissing Justin and then Mackenzie shortly after, she went on with the plan that would start it all and in first doing, introduces herself as "Ashley Katchadourian" to Deandra after letting her in the bathroom. It went further when she saw that Justin made out with Brittnay.
- Daddy's Little Villain: When she speaks to her father on the phone, she casually mentions that she's planning revenge. Given that her father is a senator, this is not very surprising.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Her schemes have included burning down a shopping mall just to get Tanya Berkowitz involved, and her form of retaliation against the cheerleaders invading hipster space was to blow up Brittnay's car.
- Establishing Character Moment: After only being mentioned for thirty episodes, when she finally appears, she's spying on the Overland Park cheerleaders through binoculars and tells her dad she's planning "a little revenge."
- Even Evil Has Standards: Insists that she's not at all responsible for Deandra getting her arms ripped-off and calls it "super fucked up". However, given the fact that she was the one who masterminded everything in the show, it's obviously fake.
- Evil Is Hammy
- Evil Redhead
- The Ghost: Yet her name has been mentioned several times before she's finally revealed at the end of Episode 30.
- Hipster: Her speech on "what is cool will be uncool" and "the things nobody likes will be the things that everybody wants". *puts on glasses* "Hipsterism..."
- I'm Cold... So Cold...
- Killed Off for Real: Stabbed to death by Tanya Berkowitz out of revenge for having her mall burnt down.
- Knight of Cerebus: Invoked by Mackenzie, who asks Jenna when she became so dark and repeatedly stated by Mackenzie as a bigger threat than Shay Van Buren and Tanya Berkowitz.
- Manipulative Bitch: Possibly. And in Episode 31, very much confirmed.
- Misblamed: Gets punched in the face by Brittnay for blowing up her car but it's only known that she never did it after it was mentioned in the season finale that it was Mackenzie who really did it as part of a well-crafted plan involving the cheer squad and Jenna to be in a parent-teacher conference. Other than that, it's a long story...
- Running Gag: She's mentioned lots of times, all the way from the very first episode and so on and her unknown fate seems to get everyone (the viewers) asking what the hell is up with her. At least, until the very end of season 2.
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: When her dad called her, she said she's just working on a little bit of revenge. Sigh, here we go again...
- Walking Spoiler: Her infamous, prolonged status as The Ghost has seemingly lead her to this.
- And because of the much unexpected turn of events, current entries of progress about her character are very much spoileriffic.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: She gets out of any punishment for destroying Brittnay's car because Brittnay broke her nose.
- But as it turns out, she never had anything to do with blowing up Brittnay's car. See The Chessmaster section on Mackenzie's section.
Atchison High Cheer Squad
And when I mean butt, I mean ass. As in the ass I'll be fucking you in, bitch!
The co-head vice captain to Tanya Berkowitz.
Ya'll better, bring it!
The head cheerleader of Atchison High. Voiced by Lee Newton of Sourcefed.
"The answer to a question I never asked."
Rachel's 27 year old sister with a crappy life who snarks at just about everything.
Lunch Lady Belinda
Um, excuse me! I will cut a bitch if there's lice somewhere in my chili!
Lunch lady at Overland Park High, she is absolutely obsessed about Cameron Van Buren and worships the girl, who is completely oblivious about it but considers her "totes creep."
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: The food that she cooks and serves is made of mostly saw dust and rat meat. She also serves melted-down otter pops, which the students apparently love.
- Depraved Homosexual: The woman has a rather disturbing obsession with Cameron Van Buren.
- Dirty Old Woman: Her insinuations that Trisha and Matthew Derringer are going to have sex and the rather creepy laugh that follows leads extra credence to this.
- Fangirl: Of Cameron Van Buren.
- Pop-Cultured Badass: She's able to recognize when Blaine is ripping off Lou Gehrig's retirement speech, as well as knowing when Blaine and Saison Marguerite are stealing lines from old songs.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She's Cameronsexual.
- Averted in later seasons.
No, no! You go back into the toilet demon poop!
The school janitor of Overland Park High.
Oh my god, look at your outfit. I swear if I was into ladies, I would be elbow deep in you right now.
The Overland Park Doctor (Dr. Cullen M.D) note
Mackenzie: Okay, what are we talking about here. Pill? Shot? Shot in the butt? Pill in the butt? Talk to me doc.
Doctor: Okay, well. We're definitely not putting anything in your butt.
- Deadpan Snarker: "Okay, first of all, unless you gave birth to a hammerhead shark, you did not have a sixteen-month pregnancy."
- Only Sane Man: His patients would lead any good person off the wall, but keeps his professionalism to a tee.
- Surrounded by Idiots
Ashley's little sister.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: In some of the words she can't properly pronounce.
- Gossipy Hens: With Mikayla. Brooklyn was apparently the one who told her about Trisha's make-out sessions with another kid after school.
- Morality Pet: In a sense. Mikayla Van Buren is strangely nice to her even though they were competing, but it's implied that they've been a friends for a while since they do gymnastics together.
- Only Sane Girl: Well, girl. So far she seems to be one of the most normal little kids in the series, but God only knows how long that will last.
This make-up tastes like old candy!
Mackenzie's younger sister who takes after their mom and her sister in that she's a foul mouthed attention whore, though she doesn't seem to be very bright even for her age. Mackenzie is very concerned for her.
Mackenzie's mother. Something of a... humongous bitch.
- Abusive Parents: Downplayed. She never does anything directly abusive, but she seems to value her job over her daughters and doesn't seem to care about Kaitlyn's obvious issues.
- The Corrupter: To Veronica Matthews.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Domestic Abuse: Her relationship with her husband comes off as a verbal form of this.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Hypocrite: Talks about wanting to be there for her daughters while she blatantly ignores them to talk to her assistant.
- Unnamed Parent: Maybe for now, but she introduced herself in the parent-teacher meeting as "Mackenzie's Mom".
- Lady Swears-A-Lot: Even in front of her seven year old daughter, which annoys Mackenzie.
Brittnay's mother, often by Brittnay's cellphone where she's referred to. Seemingly
too calm and nice to be her mother, to be exact.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Shown in episode 50 when her introduction basically segues to telling stories about Brittnay as a child.
- The Dog Bites Back: Mrs. Zales helps Veronica express her inner anger at what a giant, spoiled bitch her daughter is, and Veronica begins putting Brittnay in her place.
- Good Parents: Aside from Brittnay constantly whining and screaming at her, even cussing at her judging by the way she talked to her in the past on the phone, she's still rather caring and think only of good things for her daughter.
- Though that could just be her Doting Parent tendencies which might've explained why Brittnay is such a spoiled brat.
Trisha's mother. No mistake as she's not too far off from her own daughter.