Anne Mansfield Sullivan is a "half-blind Yankee schoolgirl" who moves to Alabama to try to teach language to Helen Keller.
Struck by illness as an infant which left her deaf and blind, six-year-old Helen is wild and out of control with no way of communicating with others.
- And I Must Scream: Far more realistic and less gruesome than most examples, Helen spent five years in complete darkness and silence with no way of communicating with the people around her except for vague gestures and horrible tantrums.
- Epiphany Therapy: Once she learns about language, everything gets better.
- The Speechless: While not physically mute, Helen does not know how to speak, and most of her vocalizations are wordless, feral sounds.
- Spoiled Brat: Her parents canít find it in their hearts to ďdiscipline an afflicted child.Ē
- Talking in Your Sleep: Finger-spelling in her sleep.
- Wild Child
Captain Arthur Keller
Helen's older half-brother