FlapjackHe's an excitable, adventure-loving boy who was raised by Bubbie, a talking whale. Despite her warnings, Flapjack is spellbound by K'nuckles' stories and has set his sights becoming a real ADVENTURER.
Voiced by: Thurop Van Orman
- Annoying Laugh: Well, to some.
- Apologizes a Lot: Even when he's repeatedly told to stop talking.
- Author Avatar/Descended Creator
- Broken Pedestal: Occasionally, when K'nuckles greed and selfishness becomes too hard to overlook, such as when he bet Flapjack on a poker game.
- Catch Phrase: "Adventuuuuure!"
- Cheerful Child
- Children Are Innocent
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: An entire episode was devoted to how much he looks like a girl, then later how much he SOUNDS like a girl.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: One of the nicest, most innocent characters on the show.
- Hero-Worshipper: He's the only character who consistently holds respect for K'nuckles.
- The Hyena: NYEHEHEHEEEEHEHEEE...
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: Has been mistaken for a girl on several occasions, most notably in "Something A-Miss" where the other girls thought he was one.
- Nice Guy
- Parental Abandonment
- Raised by Wolves: Flapjack was raised by Bubbie, an intelligent talking whale, who loves him dearly.
- To Be a Master: His life goal is to become the greatest adventurer in the world.
- Signature Laugh
- Wide-Eyed Idealist
Captain K'nucklesK'nuckles is a washed-up, old sailor who claims to be the greatest pirate the world has ever known. He's always telling over-the-top tales of his adventures and getting Flapjack wrapped up in his high seas hijinks.
Voiced by: Brian Doyle-Murray
- The Alcoholic/G-Rated Drug: Maple Syrup.
- Anti-Role Model
- Artificial Limbs: both his hands and his body from the waist down have been replaced by functional wooden prosthetics. Some of the episodes' plots revolve around how he lost some of the aforementioned limbs and occasionally his endeavors to recover the originals.
- Authority in Name Only: Revealed in "Down With the Ship" that his only offical naval experience was as a lowly cabin boy and that he appointed himself Captain after sinking the ship. He achieves this rank for real after managing to un-sink the same vessel.
- Book Dumb: He can only count to 3. But counting to three allowed him to save all of Stormalong once.
- Cool Old Guy: To an extent, though as mentioned below, he does have his moments where his badass side shows.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He's a cowardly, weak old blowhard, but he DID in fact sail quite a bit in his younger days, and has picked up a few tricks.
- Dirty Coward
- Heavy Sleeper
- I Was Quite a Looker: Claims to have been one before getting addicted to candy in "K'nuckles' Hilarious Problem."
- Jerk Ass
- Hidden Heart of Gold/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He admits in "K'nuckles' hilarious problem" when he's drunk on candy, that he loves Flapjack and Bubbie so much. Overall, he often comes off as a Jerk Ass, but he has shown he cares about Flapjack, and will feel bad and try to make things right (key word: try) when he realizes he's crossed the line.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: He's basically a lazy man who talks about adventures but never does them, barely knows how to write and count, and everyone in-universe makes fun of him, but he's capable of carrying Bubbie on his back, winning a fight alone against 100 pirates, escape from a room full of traps, sailing a ship in a storm during a fight against 8-Armed Willy, and stealing wish-candies from a mermaid, among other things and he's 70 or 80 years old.
- Mooching Master: Most of the times he and Flapjack or just Flapjack score a decent amount of candy, K'nuckles takes the lion's share while coming up with some dumb excuse for why he needs it.
- Mistaken for Pregnant: A photographer once had him pose as the perfect example of a pregnant womans stomach.
- Older Sidekick
- Older Than They Look: He looks middle aged.
- Unreliable Narrator: Its difficult to determine just which of his stories are true and which ones are bullshit.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: He claims to be an adventurer, yet he seems to actively avoid doing anything that involves leaving the harbor or performing manual labor. If he ever does go on an adventure, it's usually because Flapjack guilts him into it, or else by sheer accident.
- Seadog Peg Leg: His body is MOSTLY wood: two peg legs, two wooden forearms, and a wooden butt.
- The Slacker: Once held the title for laziest man in Stormalong.
- Talk Like a Pirate
BubbieBubbie is like an over-protective mother to Flapjack. She prefers the safety of Stormalong to the dangers of the open seas, but Bubbie is always there for Flapjack, no matter what kind of trouble K'nuckles gets him into.
Voiced by: Roz Ryan
- Cool Ship: Flapjack calls Bubbie "the fastest ship in the sea", despite, you know, Bubbie being a whale.
- Living Ship: Apparently quite common in the shows setting, as one episode shows several other Sailor/Boy teams having been kidnapped and forced to run a laundromat, with their Living Ship showing up along with Bubbie to save them, among others there's a giant lobster, a dolphin and a giant fat woman.
- Mama Bear
- Multipurpose Tongue: Bubbie's tongue is sometimes shown as being prehensile.
- Only Sane Man: Definitely the most sensible of the three.
- Overly Long Tongue
- Sassy Black Whale
- Talking Animal
- Team Mom
- Third-Person Person: Frequently turns into one of these when pissed.
- Verbal Tic: "Mmm-hmm"
Dock HagShe's the miserly old hag who runs the dock of Stormalong Harbor. The Dock Hag has an almost mystical flair for issuing tickets. And her favorite ticket is for leaving whales in the water unattended.
Voiced by: Daran Norris
Peppermint LarryPeppermint Larry is the overly-friendly owner of the Candy Barrel. He's the only person who can satisfy our heroes' candy cravings. When they don't have money for candy. Larry feeds them unreliable clues to Candied Island.
Voiced by: Jeff Bennett
- Annoying Laugh
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Companion Cube: Candy Wife.
- Pungeon Master: Has an entire episode devoted to him competing in a contest to see who can crack the most puns.
Doctor BarberThe resident doctor and barber of Stormalong Harbor. Dr. Barber often comes off as having malicious intentions, though he usually means well.
Voiced by: Steve Little
- Creepy Monotone
- For Science!: Doctor Barber regularly preforms surgery for no reason. This surgery could be necessary, dangerous and almost always turns out bad.
- Genius Bonus: Barbers were often relied upon for medical treatment such as bloodletting (still repesented by the red stripe on the barbers pole outside their shops) because they were often the only ones with sharp instruments to hand.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath
- Mad Doctor
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Doctor Barber is far too obsessed with performing strange surgeries on people.
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant
- Truth in Television: It was often the case back in history where being a ships barber and being the ships "doctor/surgeon" was pretty much the same thing.
- Verbal Tic: Doctor Barber has the tendency to say "Hmm" and/or "yes" in between sentences.
Eight Armed WillyThe most dangerous creature on the high seas, Eight-Armed Willy is a bone-crushing sea monster with an appetite for whales, adventurers and especially candy. He's our heroes' main rival for Candied Island.
Voiced by: Richard McGonagle