An excitable, adventure-loving boy who was raised by Bubbie, a talking whale. Despite her warnings, Flapjack is spellbound by K'nuckles' stories and has set his sights becoming a real ADVENTURER.
Voiced by: Thurop Van Orman
- Annoying Laugh: Well, to some.
- Apologizes a Lot: Even when he's repeatedly told to stop talking.
- Author Avatar/Descended Creator
- Broken Pedestal: Occasionally, when K'nuckles greed and selfishness becomes too hard to overlook, such as when he bet Flapjack on a poker game.
- Catch Phrase: "Adventuuuuure!"
- Cheerful Child: Or rather too cheerful even for a child. His worldview makes him see everything in the whole, wide world as an opportunity for adventuring and having a great time.
- Children Are Innocent
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: An entire episode was devoted to how much he looks like a girl, then later how much he SOUNDS like a girl.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: One of the nicest, most innocent characters on the show.
- Hero-Worshipper: He's the only character who consistently holds respect for K'nuckles.
- The Hyena: NYEHEHEHEEEEHEHEEE...
- In Touch With His Feminine Side: Has been mistaken for a girl on several occasions, most notably in "Something A-Miss" where the other girls thought he was one. And even more than his looks its his emotionally expressive demeanour like hugging all the time that stands out.
- Keet: Energetic and sprightly are probably the best words to describe him to an excruciating degree.
- Nice Guy
- Parental Abandonment
- Raised by Wolves: Flapjack was raised by Bubbie, an intelligent talking whale, who loves him dearly.
- To Be a Master: His life goal is to become the greatest adventurer in the world.
- Signature Laugh
- Sweet Tooth: He and K'nuckles display theirs to an extent greater than most fictional characters. Almost all of their endeavours are about satisfying their candy cravings.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist
A washed-up old sailor who claims to be the greatest pirate the world has ever known. He's always telling over-the-top tales of his adventures and getting Flapjack wrapped up in his high seas hijinks.
Voiced by: Brian Doyle-Murray
- The Alcoholic/G-Rated Drug: Maple Syrup. He is very often shown to stumble around during both day and night because of it at times returning to Bubbie's very late.
- Anti-Role Model
- Artificial Limbs: both his hands and his body from the waist down have been replaced by functional wooden prosthetics. Some of the episodes' plots revolve around how he lost some of the aforementioned limbs and occasionally his endeavors to recover the originals.
- Authority in Name Only: Revealed in "Down With the Ship" that his only offical naval experience was as a lowly cabin boy and that he appointed himself Captain after sinking the ship. He achieves this rank for real after managing to un-sink the same vessel.
- Book Dumb: He can only count to 3. But counting to three allowed him to save all of Stormalong once.
- Cool Old Guy: To an extent, though as mentioned below, he does have his moments where his badass side shows.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He's a cowardly, weak old blowhard, but he DID in fact sail quite a bit in his younger days, and has picked up a few tricks. Mostly about picking things from other people's pockets.
- Dirty Coward
- The Ditz: He and reason aren't on the best of terms.
- Genius Ditz: The only form of intelligence that he excels in is deceit and lying. He is as sly as someone with no intelligence and common sense can be.
- Heavy Sleeper: As an dead-beat old man he spends most of his time lazing and sleeping. Even when he is threatened his natural defense mechanism is to black out and sleep defenselessly.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Claims to have been one before getting addicted to candy in "K'nuckles' Hilarious Problem." Given the flashbacks this statement is questionable at best.
- Jerk Ass
- Hidden Heart of Gold/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He admits in "K'nuckles' hilarious problem" when he's drunk on candy, that he loves Flapjack and Bubbie so much. Overall, he often comes off as a Jerk Ass, but he has shown he cares about Flapjack, and will feel bad and try to make things right (key word: try) when he realizes he's crossed the line.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: He's basically a lazy man who talks about adventures but never does them, barely knows how to write and count, and everyone in-universe makes fun of him with good reason, but he's capable of carrying Bubbie on his back, winning a fight alone against 100 pirates (admittedly inept ones who relied entirely on their numbers), escape from a room full of traps, sailing a ship in a storm during a fight against 8-Armed Willy, and stealing wish-candies from a mermaid, among other things and he's 70 or 80 years old.
- Mooching Master: Most of the times he and Flapjack or just Flapjack score a decent amount of candy, K'nuckles takes the lion's share while coming up with some dumb excuse for why he needs it.
- Mistaken for Pregnant: A photographer once had him pose as the perfect example of a pregnant womans stomach.
- Older Sidekick: The age gap between him and Flap is huge considering that he is an old man and Flap is a little boy.
- Older Than They Look: He looks middle aged.
- Unreliable Narrator: Its difficult to determine just which of his stories are true and which ones are bullshit.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: He claims to be an adventurer, yet he seems to actively avoid doing anything that involves leaving the harbor or performing manual labor. If he ever does go on an adventure, it's usually because Flapjack guilts him into it, or else by sheer accident. Or if his gluttony becomes his compass.
- Seadog Peg Leg: His body is MOSTLY wood: two peg legs, two wooden forearms, and a wooden butt.
- Sweet Tooth: He and Flapjack may be the most prominent examples of this in animation. They live, breathe and walk to stuff their mouths with candy and are often seen with big bellies and dirty mouths filled with candy likely to be scavenged in the garbage. He takes it to an unhealthy extent not unlike a junkie who would anything to get his fix.
- The Slacker: Once held the title for laziest man in Stormalong.
- Talk Like a Pirate
Bubbie is like an over-protective mother to Flapjack. She prefers the safety of Stormalong to the dangers of the open seas, but Bubbie is always there for Flapjack, no matter what kind of trouble K'nuckles gets him into.
Voiced by: Roz Ryan
- Cool Ship: Flapjack calls Bubbie "the fastest ship in the sea", despite, you know, Bubbie being a whale.
- Doting Parent: She loves Flapjack dearly, and as such gets more than a little protective sometimes.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Many of her arguments with K'nuckles are reminiscent of this.
- Living Ship: Apparently quite common in the shows setting, as one episode shows several other Sailor/Boy teams having been kidnapped and forced to run a laundromat, with their Living Ship showing up along with Bubbie to save them, among others there's a giant lobster, a dolphin and a giant fat woman.
- Mama Bear: Her maternal feelings are so strong that make her maternal outrages terrifying for the one who caused them by threatening her baby. Even if it a whale double her size.
- Multipurpose Tongue: Bubbie's tongue is sometimes shown as being prehensile.
- Only Sane Man: Definitely the most sensible of the three by a large margin. in real life she would come across as more naive and immature than average but by Stormalong's standards she is this even compared to almost all the other characters in the show.
- Overly Long Tongue: Which she finds useful when she wants to speak to someone while holding them outside her mouth. It can also be used both as a mattress and as a carpet.
- Parental Substitute: She raised Flapjack as a baby.
- The Peeping Tom: A non-sexual version, she looks through holes to spy on private moments. She later admits she has a problem, because Flapjack and K'nuckles have their adventures while she resorts to peeping to do something.
- Sassy Blue Whale: Her deep tone, her southern accent and her vocal mannerisms (being to-the-point and outspoken) deliberately invoke this.
- Talking Animal
- Team Mom
- Third-Person Person: Frequently turns into one of these when ticked off enough fitting with her Sassy Black Woman style of speech.
- Verbal Tic: "Mmm-hmm" said thoughtfully and/or contendedly.
Dock HagShe's the miserly old hag who runs the dock of Stormalong Harbor. The Dock Hag has an almost mystical flair for issuing tickets. And her favorite ticket is for leaving whales in the water unattended.
Voiced by: Daran Norris
- Evil Debt Collector: She has a unique talent for issuing tickets for various unusual reasons like laughing, arguing or dragging your feet.
- I Own This Town: She doesn't need anything close to a decent excuse to order people around and make up rules to punish the people she wants like Knuckles. Its easy when there isn't any higher public authority in Stormalong.
- Gonk: Her face has been generously offered for a good number of the show's more disturbing closeups. It helps that her expression during these moments is either mindless fury or in one case depraved lust.
Peppermint LarryPeppermint Larry is the overly-friendly owner of the Candy Barrel. He's the only person who can satisfy our heroes' candy cravings. When they don't have money for candy. Larry feeds them unreliable clues to Candied Island.
Voiced by: Jeff Bennett
- Annoying Laugh: Partly because it is very long and one-note not unlike Flapjack's and partly because its usually because of some cheesy line he used and only he considers funny.
- Companion Cube: Candy Wife. A companion that can be very demanding and argumentative and who doesn't obviously interact with anyone else, but is still somehow treated and accepted as a person by the rest.
- Pungeon Master: Has an entire episode devoted to him competing in a contest to see who can crack the most puns. During Knuckle's supposed funeral he couldn't resist cracking at least one pun among his other inconsiderate remarks.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: He and K'nuckles despise each other and often come to blows, not least of all because of K'nuckles attempts to cheat him, steal from him and even act as a love rival for his Candy Wife. Unsurprisingly, Larry has a very low opinion of him.
Doctor BarberThe resident doctor and barber of Stormalong Harbor. Dr. Barber often comes off as having malicious intentions, though he usually means well.
Voiced by: Steve Little
- Creepy Monotone: His tone is very passionate and betrays his obsession, but generally in a subdued, examining kind of way.
- For Science!: Doctor Barber regularly performs surgery for no reason other than his toying with the laws of nature. This surgery could be necessary, dangerous and almost always turns out bad.
- Gonk: Even when he doesn't show his teeth or give one of his disturbing grimaces he still looks wrong
- Genius Bonus: Barbers were often relied upon for medical treatment such as bloodletting (still repesented by the red stripe on the barbers pole outside their shops) because they were often the only ones with sharp instruments to hand.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: He rarely antagonises the main characters and can actually be very helpful and reasonable, thing is he can also be other things...
- Mad Doctor
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Doctor Barber is far too obsessed with performing strange surgeries on people.
- Nightmare Fetishist: For most people sicknesses like the plague, surgeries and weird experiments are the stuff of nightmares. For him its like a free day to the candy store (or rather to the Candy Barrel).
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Not so much because of his occupation but mostly because of his passion with the grislier aspects of it. The doctor's one not the barber's.
- Truth in Television: It was often the case back in history where being a ships barber and being the ships "doctor/surgeon" was pretty much the same thing.
- Verbal Tic: Doctor Barber has the tendency to say repetitively "Hmm" and/or "yes" in between sentences.
Eight Armed WillyThe most dangerous creature on the high seas, Eight-Armed Willy is a bone-crushing sea monster with an appetite for whales, adventurers and especially candy. He's our heroes' main rival for Candied Island.
Voiced by: Richard McGonagle
- The Dreaded: He is the ultimate yardstick by which the dangers of the sea are measured in-universe. Making a wager about beating him is treated at best like an extreme-sport and at worst like a death sentence.