The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service teamOur heroes-for-hire.Tropes that apply to all of them:
- Crippling Overspecialization: Outside of Sasaki's computer skills, they've all got death-related or plain outlandish skills that don't translate to 'normal' jobs.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Dysfunction Junction
- Only Sane Man: They tend to trade places each story depending upon who's in focus; sometimes it's Sasaki, other times it's Karatsu, but they all have their moments of temporary insanity.
Kuro KaratsuA Senior at an average Buddhist university. He can hear the voices of the dead.
- Bald of Awesome: Because he's a Buddhist.
- Catapult Nightmare
- Character Development: Becomes more heroic as the series progresses.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- I See Dead People: He's an Itako and can communicate with the dead. That itako are supposed to be women doesn't seem to stop him. Every time he uses the power, though, the ghost of a blind priestess appears behind him. It may be an ancestor of his doing the actual work.
- Smoking Is Cool
- ''"Let's go see some dead people!"
- Amateur Sleuth
- Forum Pecking Order: She runs the Kurosagi Corpse Chat.
- Grave Robbing: Technically they haven't been buried yet, but she's still stealing a corpse and not contacting the police.
- Mission Control
- Ms. Fanservice: In wardrobe, if not personality.
- Team Mom
- The Team Normal: One of the two in the team without any odd powers, and the only one with a full range of social skills.
- That said, she's apparently on some pretty hardcore antidepressants and seeing a therapist.
Makoto NumataA member of Kurosagi, he can dowse with a pendulum to locate dead bodies.
- Badass: This guy punch-stopped a truck!
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: He's even prone to shed Manly Tears.
- Cool Shades
- Crazy-Prepared: Brought some camping supplies with him on their graveyard trip.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: He's got a badass leather jacket.
- Luminescent Blush: Blushes a lot.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He's the fan of a teen idol.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: The others rib him for his dowsing, because a) it's his only real skill b) he can't find anything other than corpses. Or any dead tissue.
Keiko MakinoA member of Kurosagi. She's an embalmer, which she learned from studying abroad.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Sometimes.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs
- Hostage Situation: She was more or less taken hostage by Mr. Yamakawa.
- The Lab Rat: Sometimes, but she's more likely to be out gathering information with the rest.
- Older Than They Look: We assume, since she looks about nine and is a senior in university.
Yuji YataA member of Kurosagi. He channels Aliens through his sock puppet.
- Blinding Bangs
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: No, not Yata, he's actually pretty normal, it's his alien puppet that's spacey.
- Demonic Dummy or Ventriloquism: It's ambiguous whether Keerellis is a real alien or just something Yata made up. You can't see lips move in a manga. There are hints of the former being true.
- Jerkass: Keerellis.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: If Keerellis is a real alien, he's certainly suffering from this, seeing as he's outright offended when the group tries to dissect a doll.
- Not Now, Kiddo: Keerellis occasionally notices very important things the others don't. Unfortunately, he tends to get brushed off when he points them out (even by Yata!).
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: His official role in the group, according to him, is "cosmic advice and odd jobs." And Keerellis' advice isn't particularly useful a lot of the time.
- It's eventually revealed that Keerellis isn't quite as useless as expected, as he apparently has access to the Akashic Records, which might be the universe's version of the afterlife (or at least connected to it.) However, all he's done with this ability is commune with the spirit of a dead goldfish.
SasayamaFormer police detective who now handles the dead and other social services issues in their prefecture of the city. Naturally, they increasingly come into contact with him as the series progresses.
- Badass Bureaucrat
- Bald of Awesome
- Canon Welding: He's an older version of a character from Ohtsuka's other manga MPD Psycho.
- Face of a Thug: Frequently lampshaded that he looks like a yakuza.
- Handicapped Badass: Has an artificial leg.
- Weirdness Magnet: He references this almost by name.Sasayama: Everyone knows old Sasayama's reputation - the greatest loony magnet ever to walk a Tokyo beat.