Characters: The Kindaichi Case Files
Hajime KindaichiKosuke Kindaichi, and picked up the tricks of his trade from Grandpa, using his great detective skills to solve the crimes occurring in the series.
- Amateur Sleuth
- Big Eater
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Brilliant but Lazy: He is very intelligent (his IQ is 200) but he gets very bad grades because he doesn't care about school.
- Can Not Spit It Out: He is coy about his feelings for Miyuki, and the one time he does manage to spit it out, his confession is muffled by the marching band.
- Catch Phrase: "I swear it in the name of my grandfather!" and "All the mysteries are solved."
- Chick Magnet: And he doesn't mind.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Miyuki.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He is something of a skirt chaser, but he is still more or less a gentleman.
- Clear My Name: He is accused of murder in "Kindaichi the killer". He must run away from the police and find the real murderer.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Except for a few close friends, everyone at school thinks Kindaichi is an idiot.
- Protagonist Title: His last name instead of his first name.
Voiced by: Akiko NakagawaThe childhood friend and next door neighbor of Hajime Kindaichi, or "Hajime-chan". Miyuki is an honors student at her and Hajime's high school. Many of her classmates and teachers wonder why she hangs around a guy like Kindaichi, but Miyuki knows that Kindaichi is a lot more than he leads on.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Hajime.
- Damsel in Distress: Sometimes. Subverted in The Magical Express where the puppeteer of hell apparently kidnapped her but it turned to be a puppet.
- Dude Magnet: Has a few guys chasing after her besides Kindaichi.
- Girl Next Door
- Informed Attractiveness: She is Kindaichi's Love Interest, is the most desired girl in her high school and in most of the cases at least one guy is interested in her. She has exactly the same body type as other girls in the series and her face is very normal too. Later stories place some emphasis on her somewhat generous bust size.
- Rapunzel Hair: Reaches down to her waist.
- Satellite Love Interest: To Kindaichi. Even her other relationships (Wakaba in the mummy case) or hobbies (her drama club's membership in the Phantom of Opera case) are only plot devices to drag Kindaichi to the next mystery (and she is very Out of Focus in those cases.)
- Tsundere: Type B. Miyuki is usually a sweet and even tempered young lady, but she gets pissed whenever Kindaichi does a perverted act.
- The Watson
Voiced by: Jurota Kosugi, Isao Natsuyagi (anime film)A Tokyo homicide police inspector skilled in Judo. After meeting Kindaichi in the first case of the series, Kenmochi has always supported Hajime and his deduction prowess.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: The suspect of the week compared his grip to a gorilla.
- Cool Old Guy
- Intergenerational Friendship: With high school-aged Hajime and Miyuki.
Voiced by: Toshiyuki MorikawaA police superintendent and Kenmochi's supervisor. Akechi is a rival of sorts for Kindaichi, but they both a mutual respect for each other.
- The Ace: He is a former straight-A student, Todai graduate, amateur chess player (who ranks somewhere among the world's best amateur players), trained violinist (who can play for a professional quartet), capable fencer (who once beat the national champion) and can pilot planes too.
- Broken Ace: A mild variant. In his first appearance, his overconfidence in his deduction ability led to him being completely sidetracked by the real murderer's false hints. Later stories reveal he's still haunted by several ghosts in his past, like the murder of a friend in his high school circle (by another friend in the same group, one very close to him at that) and the failure of his father Akechi Sr. in solving the famous bank heist 20 years ago featured in House of Wax, which led to his father's early retirement and his obsession with finding out the answer for the case.
- Always Someone Better: To Kindaichi. Although this is subverted in his first appearance, Death TV. He keeps trying to show up Kindaichi by solving the case rather quickly, but in doing so, he misses several clues and falls for the killer's tricks rather easily.
- Bishōnen: Of the Megane variety.
- Chick Magnet: The ladies do love him.
- The Rival: To Hajime Kindaichi. Their investigative prowess are evenly matched.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Smug as he may be, he's got the smarts to back it up.
- Smug Snake: Especially in Death TV.