Played by: Alec BaldwinCIA intelligence analyst, author, professor of Naval History at the United States Naval Academy.
- Badass Bookworm: Due in part to actually having been a Marine, though few are able to guess this without knowing his history.
- Cunning Linguist: Which he keeps to himself at first, until he laughs at something one of the officers says about Captain Mancuso having a gun strapped to his hip. When asked about his Russian ability, he replies that it is wise to study the ways of your enemy. To which Captain Ramius agrees, in English.
- Face Your Fears: Has a fear of flying, due to being in a helicopter crash early in his career. Through the course of the film, ends up flying on four occasions, each time worse than the last (turbulent airliner, small airplane in bad weather, helicopter in a seastorm lowering him on a cable down to a submarine before releasing himself from the cable and falling into the freezing waters to get aboard). The last flight, after he has saved the day, in contrast, has him sleeping peacefully with a teddy bear seated next to him.
- Good Parents: Save the world? Sure, that's important. But don't forget to get a teddy bear for your daughter on your way home.
- Non-Idle Rich: Made enough money on the stockmarket to be immune to pressure when he gives an opinion.
- Semper Fi: Was originally a Marine
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Suffers from a fear of flying due to being in a helicopter crash while at the Navy Academy. Of course, ends up having to fly several times through the course of the plot, including a harrowing flight in a helicopter in storm-tossed seas where he drops himself from the chopper into the sea to get aboard the USS Dallas.
Captain Marko Aleksandrovich Ramius
Played by: Sean ConneryCaptain 1st Rank and Commanding Officer of the Red October.
- Cunning Linguist: Fluent in English, evidently for the same reason that Jack Ryan had studied Russian.
- Nerves of Steel: Quizzes Ryan about Ryan's books while a torpedo is homing in on their sub.
- Nice Hat: His ushanka◊ when he goes outside of the submarine.
- Old Master: His nickname is "the Vilnius Schoolmaster".
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: Decides to defect, in part, because he recognizes the Red October as a ship that can only serve one purpose: To start a nuclear war.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Tupolev. Subverted, in that Tupolev believes they were friends and holds Ramius in high regards, while Ramius appears rather disdainful of Tupolev.
Commander Bart Mancuso
Played by: Scott GlennCommanding Officer of the USS Dallas.
- Age Lift: In the novel, Mancuso is said to be in his mid-thirties, young for a command of this level. Scott Glenn was 48 at the time the movie was made.
- Casual Danger Dialogue:The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch.
Ronald "Jonesy" Jones
Played by: Courtney VanceSonar Technician 2nd Class of the USS Dallas.
- Cultured Badass: He loves his classical music.
- Mr. Exposition: He explains all sorts of basics of sonar and sub tactics to Beaumont, some of which anyone on board a sub ought to already know.
Captain Vasily Borodin
Played by: Sam NeillCaptain 2nd Rank Executive Officer of the Red October.
- Retirony: "I would have liked to have seen Montana."
- Undying Loyalty: To Ramius.
Vice Admiral James Greer
Played by: James Earl JonesVice Admiral and CIA Deputy Director of Intelligence (DDI).
Captain Viktor Tupolev
Played by: Stellan SkarsgårdCaptain 2nd Rank, Commanding Officer of the V.K. Konovalov.
Played by: Richard JordanNational Security Advisor to the President of the United States.
- Deadpan SnarkerPelt: Andre, you've lost another submarine?
Dr. Yevgeniy Petrov
Played by: Tim CurryChief medical officer of the Red October.
- Butt Monkey: Particularly the way he's more or less thrown out of the officer's mess during dinner so the conspirators can discuss their plans in private.
- Dirty Communists: He's the only senior officer who's a staunch party loyalist, and thus he's the only one not in on Ramius' plan.
- Nice Guy: He may be a party loyalist, but he's genuinely concerned for the well-being of the crew. When the reactor meltdown happens, his first instinct is to convince Ramius to order an evacuation of the ship.