Characters: The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Voiced by: Greg Eagles
The Grim Reaper
who is fated to be Billy and Mandy's "best friend" forever after losing a limbo contest to them.
- Abusive Parent: To his "son", the giant spider, Jeff. (Semi-justified in that Billy is extremely stupid and has an irrational fear of spiders)
- Ambiguous Disorder: It's fairly obvious that Billy has genuine mental problems in addition to being extremely stupid, as shown by his bouts of psychotic, murderous rage.
- Annoying Laugh
- Anti-Hero: He expyed Seymore pimp one time
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Billy's three greatest fears are spiders, clowns, and the mailman, with the greatest fear of them all being a spider/clown/mailman hybrid.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Billy is often the dumbest one on the show, but he has been shown to have bouts of psychotic rage that scares even Mandy.
- Butt Monkey
- Chaotic Stupid: When Billy takes Mandy's raw nerve, he gleefully abuses Grim, implying that a lack of courage was the only thing that stopped him from doing so before (unless the nerve also influenced since it was Mandy's). He also has an "inner frat boy" that advises him to beat the crap out of anything he doesn't understand.
- Cheerful Child
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: In an early episode he dreamt that he made cookie dough out of assorted junk food, then ate it raw because he wasn't allowed to use the oven anymore. He also apparently eats his cereal with chili and makes his waffles with pickles.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He was able to outfight all of Asgard, take on an entire alien ship by himself, and even make Grim and Mandy run from him. He's a moron, but he's also very competent badass when he wants to be.
- In "Secret Snake Club", he actually becomes a CIA agent, tracking down a fugitive and exposing Irwin's plans with the macrame club.
- Future Badass version in the Big Boogey Adventure. Most notably, in the five minutes of screentime he gets, he almost never says or does a single dumb thing. In fact, he somehow managed to time travel back in time without the use of a nearby inoperable Time Gate. And this is Billy we're talking about. It makes one wonder what did Mandy do to make Billy become this way...
- The Ditz: His IQ is -5, being outperformed in the test by a shovel and two candy bracelets (they got a positive 17).
- Expy: Of Stimpy.
- Extreme Omnivore: He enjoys eating boogers, toenail clippings, and (it's heavily implied) cat and dog poo, the last of which he actually uses as steak sauce.
- Gag Nose: Has a bulbous pink nose that is often bruised or even knocked off his face.
- He-Man Woman Hater: He insists that Mandy and other girls not be allowed on his baseball team... despite them soundly being better at it than he is.
- Even having Mindy outperform his team didn't change Billy's mind.
- Hidden Depths: He is shown to dance to real good, defeat multiple enemies in combat-sometimes without even touching them-and is prone to simple-minded wisdom that actually make a whole lot of sense.
- Improbably Low IQ: -5.
- Informed Judaism: The Christmas episode states he's Jewish, but it's never brought up again.
- Jerkass Ball: As with Mandy, Billy has his moments too.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: Downplayed, while he causes trouble alot, it's more out of his stupidity rather than malice. However, he is the second nicest next to Grim.
- Lack of Empathy: Especially apparent when interacting with his "son", Jeff.
- Lethally Stupid: Everything Billy does within the show will inevitably result in mass destruction and chaos, especially when magical artifacts like Grim's scythe are involved.
- Made of Iron: He has suffered many injuries throughout the show's run (several of which result in his skin being torn open) & absolutely none of them were permanent.
- A few of his injuries involve having his entire face being blown or torn off!
- Morality Pet: For Mandy. When she's not bullying him or helping him for her own personal gain, she's treats him as a scolding mother would treat her son.
- The McCoy: Stupid and impulsive.
- The Pollyanna
- Screams Like a Little Girl
- Simpleminded Wisdom: He does this more often than he should, making you second guess his stupidity.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his dad.
- Token Good Teammate: Compared to Grim and Mandy at least.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: By the end of the show, Billy's become an Epic-Level dumbass.
- Unstoppable Rage: When he's in this mode, even Mandy is scared of him.
- Why Did It Have To Be Spiders?
- Eldritch Abomination: Or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof(she or it is spicy aura brain-like parasite from outer space).
- Anti-Hero: Either a Nominal Hero or a Villain Protagonist.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Despite living in a world where supernatural elements are commonplace, and being friends with the Grim Reaper himself, Mandy adamantly refuses to believe in such things as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.
- Badass Normal: Despite not having any powers, her intimidation towards others gets the job done.
- Beware the Quiet Ones
- Big Damn Heroes: Despite her goal on world domination, she saved the world multiple times.
- Big Bad: Of The Grim Adventures Of The Kids Next Door.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Blondes Are Evil
- The Comically Serious: Even more than Hoss Delgado.
- Creepy Child: She tricked The Grim Reaper into eternal servitude, using him as her maid and his powers for personal gain, and faces down everything from the Boogeyman to Cthulhu with nothing more than a wry comment. She also never smiles, ever, because doing so would cause the universe to implode. She was also able to take over a large evil brain/alien when it ate her brain.
- Deadpan Snarker: Definitely.
- Emotionless Girl: She seems to have only three major emotions: Indifference, disgust, and anger.
- Enfant Terrible: Young enough and psychopathic enough to qualify.
- Even Evil Has Standards: She wants to rule the world and turn it into a dystopia, but she is not okay with cheating.
- Evil Genius
- Expy: Has a few elements of Ren, mostly in her role to counter Billy's Stimpy role. Can also be a darker and edgier version of Gaz from Invader Zim.
- Flanderization: From having no emotions, along with a Hair-Trigger Temper, to a totally sadistic psychopath trying to take over the world, who not only can pretty much fix or undo anything by just appearing on the scene, but owns everyone apparently.
- Flat Earth Atheist: She is rendered immune to the Tooth Fairy's powers by revealing, to his face, that she doesn't believe in him.
- Fluffy the Terrible
- Guile Heroine
- Hair Decorations: Wears a black headband.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Averted big time.
- Hates Being Touched
- Hidden Depths: The prospect of living a life of quiet desperation is the only thing that can shake Mandy to her core.
- Hijacking Cthulhu: In a certain episode, a brain-eating alien monster with a familiar singing voice has been spending the whole episode being fed by Billy. When Mandy confronts it, it sucks out her brain.... but its aura immediately changes to resemble Mandy. Her only explanation is that she was too "spicy".
- Likewise she does this to the "Delightful Reaper" in the KND crossover when she realizes it was too powerful for Kids Next Door's weaponry and willingly let it assimilate her. Like it the above example, it takes on her appearance.
- Horned Hairdo
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: She would never let Billy do any of the things that she does.
- Improbable Weapon User: In the Cartoon Network game "The Fight Before Christmas", she uses a toy hammer, a toy plane, a dollnote , a fistful of marbles and a pan of popcorn as weapons against the evil toys overrunning Santa's workshop.
- Informed Deformity: In My Fair Mandy, a skilled make-over artist was shocked by her appearance, at first mistaking her for an ugly tree stump.
- Iron Lady: Her ultimate goal in life is "[....]to do something important!" She eventually is elected president of the United States, and in the distant future, will rule the world.
- Jerkass: She only had her few moments in the first couple of seasons but more and more after each one of them. Beyond a shadow of a doubt. Her beast transformation in "Sickly Sweet" even makes her sound like a literal ass (the animal). Hell, that episode shows that even trying to do anything nice is nearly impossible for Mandy, to the point where she has physical difficulty just trying to say "Please."
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: While she does do heroic actions like saving Billy from himself or whatever Monster of the Week they're up against, as well as saving the whole planet, Mandy will always have a selfish motive in mind no matter what — but...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: ...she is also shown to care about Grim and Billy, even though she won't admit it and never talks about it.
- Karma Houdini: Rule of Funny usually dictates that she gets off scot-free — but there are a few occasions where she's outwitted.
- Lack of Empathy
- Lady of War: Thoroughly subverting Real Women Never Wear Dresses, Mandy, a staunch feminist, wears pink while discussing Faustian bargains over tea.
- Little Miss Badass: Wears pink, is blonde, snarks almost constantly, and makes the Grim Reaper her personal bitch in the first episode.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Madden Into Misanthropy: It's implied that three things helped complete Mandy's metamorphosis into the cynical tyrant we all know and love: The realization that her beloved unicorn toys were being churned out daily by a factory, Mindy's inane, meaningless prattle, and having to deal with Billy every single day of her life.
- Manipulative Bitch
- The Noseless: But she does have nostrils.
- One-Winged Angel: Her future self.
- Only Sane Woman: Trades roles with Grim, depending on the episode.
- Perpetual Frowner: Because if she smiles....
- Pet the Dog: She will occasionally meditate on the possibility that she actually cares about Grim and Billy...but ultimately dismiss the errant thought.
- In "Halls of Time", she seems legitimately horrified at the idea of Irwin being erased from existence.
- Accepting Saliva (in her own way).
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Though rarer than with Billy, she's not immune to physical comedy. Whether that's being burned to a crisp by Cerberus in "Mandy Bites Dog", or being covered in snot twice after Grim sneezes on her in "Night of the Living Grim".
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She is actually shown to be somewhat caring and even passionate in some episodes.
- Sociopathic Hero
- The Spock: Intelligent and deadpan.
- The Stoic
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: In fact, almost everyone in the show is afraid of her.
- Token Evil Teammate
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Mandy became more hostile and disrespectful towards her friends in later seasons.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist
- Villain Protagonist: When you make the personification of death look like a nice guy in comparison...
- When She Smiles...she tears the very fabric of time, space, and reality apart. For the sake of humanity, it's better that she doesn't smile.
- Although in some earlier episodes, this trope is played straight.
- Wise Beyond Her Years: She may be a real bitch but she's EASILY the smartest character on the show.
- You Go Girl: Billy wouldn't allow Mandy in his baseball team because she's a girl. Trying to teach him a lesson, she disguised herself as a boy named "Manfred" by donning a baseball cap.
- Billy and Irwin made a racing team and wouldn't allow Mandy in because she's a girl so she started her own team with Grim, who was rejected from Billy and Irwin's for being a skeleton. Pud'n won.
Voiced by: Vanessa Marshall
A nerdy boy and a close friend of Billy's. He has a crush on Mandy.
Billy's father and Gladys' husband.
- Bumbling Dad
- Closer to Earth: While he is dumber than Gladys, he is not as prone to fits of nervousness like she is and is quite relaxed around grim.
- Happily Married: To Gladys.
- Hidden Depths: In his youth, he was apparently smart enough to get accepted into Harvard University, now he literally have brain. Too bad his acceptance letters were stolen by a demonic tree.
- He was also a Navy SEAL at some point.
- Mr. Vice Guy: He's overall a decent guy, even if he's disgusting and rather stupid sometimes.
- Strong Family Resemblance
- Too Dumb to Live: Billy got more than just his looks. This applies even before he Took a Level in Dumbass considering he didn't seem to notice that Grim was actually the Grim Reaper!
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Started out as reasonably intelligent, but eventually became stupid enough to make Billy look like a genius.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife
Billy's mother and Harold's wife.
The goddess of chaos. She possesses the powerful Apple of Discord, a golden apple which can transform into any shape to perpetuate chaos. Grim used to have a crush on her during earlier episodes, but later changes his mind, claiming her to be a "psychopath". She is also in love with Hoss Delgado.
A spectral exterminator.
Voiced by: Fred Willard
An old arch-enemy of Grim's since junior high school, and a former school bully, Boogey played pranks on Grim throughout his school career. Boogey is, in fact, the Boogeyman himself, and can shapeshift in order to scare people.
Voiced by: Armin Shimerman
Hector Con Carne's paramilitary commander.
An obnoxious and snobby girl from Billy and Mandy's school that is obsessed with proving her worth to Mandy, who doesn't care for her.
Voiced by: Greg Eagles
The local bully, who constantly bullies Billy, Irwin, Pud'n, and other kids to no end.
Voiced by: David Warner, later Martin Jarvis
A black-skinned supernatural being with green eyes and wears a business suit. With the ability to shapeshift he can create several tentacles from his back that can electrocute his victims or turn them into beings looking like himself. What Nergal desires most is having friends, once stating that it is quite lonely in the center of the world. However, he gets better once he starts a family.
Voiced by: Debi Derryberry
The son of Nergal and Billy's aunt Sis. He is also Billy's first cousin.
- Beneath the Earth
- Combat Tentacles
- Creepy Child
- Eldritch Abomination: Even more so than his father; he can shapeshift, walk through walls, spawn bat-like imps from his body and freeze people in supernatural stasis.
- Glamour Failure: No matter what form he uses, he keeps his glasses, yellow eyes, sharp yellow teeth, and green tongue.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- I Just Want to Be Loved/I Just Want to Have Friends: Unlike his dad, not played for laughs... at first.
- Loners Are Freaks: "Freak" is pretty much his nickname.
- One-Winged Angel: His true form, which is so grotesque and deformed that it's rarely, if ever, seen onscreen.
- Shapeshifter Default Form: The form of the first kid he tried to befriend (and subsequently did away with when he was rejected).
- Cheshire Cat Grin: And how!
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
- Yandere: Initially portrayed as violently attacking anyone who mistreated him, but becomes somewhat more passive in later episodes.
Voiced by: C.H. Greenblatt
A dimwitted, pale green, bipedal furry otherworldly creature resembling an elephant with stubby horns and the tail of a devil.
Voiced by: Wayne Knight
The main antagonist in the Halloween special, Billy & Mandy's Jacked Up Halloween.
- Big Bad: Of the Halloween special.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The members of his own town saw to it he was executed just because he didn't know when to stop pranking them. Pretty dark, given the silliness of the show in general.
- Demonstrated when he's sent to the underworld. This is still a bad habit of his and got his pumpkin head squashed. So it was bound to happen sooner or later.
- His pranks were causing people injury; tricking a guy off a cliff.
- Evil Laugh
- Genre Savvy: He actually manages to see through what he thinks is Mandy's initial attempts to prank him. However he doesn't count on Erwin's clumsiness.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: When Grim came to collect him the first time, he managed to stop him with a feather leading into the deal to give him immortal life. At the end of the special, Grim uses a feather to send Jack to the underworld.
- Freudian Excuse
- Large Ham: He's voiced by Wayne Knight. Of course he's this.
- Off with His Head!: Via Grim
- The Prankster: Of the evil variety.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: "Three hundred and sixty-four days a year, I can't even go the the Ding-Dong Grocery Store to buy pudding. And do you know why?"
- Of course it's not so much living forever then "living forever with a pumpkin for a head".
Irwin's grandmother, more commonly known as "Grandmama."
A vampire that was Grim's childhood hero.
- Breakout Character: Introduced as part of the old horror icons alongside Frankenstein's bride and the Wolfman. But thanks to Phil hitting the role so enthusiastically, he made more appearances, completely eclipsing the Bride and Wolfman, even having a family connection to Irwin. He was even used for part of Cartoon Network's live action Halloween promos via a puppet.
- Disappeared Dad: To Irwin's dad.
- Expy: Of Blacula, the joke being he bears his name despite not looking at all what most media make of him. For extra Hilarious in Hindsight, in the Blacula movie, Dracula is the one who turns Blacula.
- Grumpy Old Man
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Grandfather, to be precise. Namely, Irwin's.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Redd Foxx
- Psychopathic Manchild: Is he ever.
- Screw Politeness Im A Senior
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: When his wife beat him to a pulp (not knowing he could turn into a bat), once he was far away from her, he took off, in fear of her attacking him again.
- Third-Person Person
Voiced by: Julian Stone
A raven that occasionally narrates episodes.
Reasonable guy(aura and her voice)
Voiced by: Voltaire
Smooze-like green Aura with long hands-legs for grabling and eye-mouth in brain-like Meteor who makes zombies, was overlord of town but then killed Mandy and now sing in land of the dead like voiceless voice about Grim reaper.
- Expy: Audrey 2 + Smooze + parasite from manga parasite, also have expys: watchdogs of Wonder over younder,Discord(character) and Smooze of MLPFIM,Yivo and robo devil(character) from Futurama, bill cifer from gravity falls
- Affably villain: Loves dance and sing and eat brains,sometimes faux affably because insane.
- Ax crazy: Eating Mandy s brain, then he very happy sing song in hell.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Being Mandy slime make him bodyless in hell
- And I Must Scream: Averted He not.
- Beware the Silly Ones:He will eat your brain like Gluttony.
- Card-Carrying Villain:I'm just your average evil meteor from outta the sky.
- The Caligula: His people do not think about it without brains.
- Classic Villain: Gluttony.
- Cloudcuckoolander: He sick attention deficit disorder.
- The Corrupter: brainless people make him not hungry to the sadness of many.