Characters: The Get Backers
The Get Backers
Voiced by: Nobutoshi Canna (Japanese), Naomi Shindo (Japanese, child); Jason Liebrecht (English, episodes 6-49), Rich McDonald (English, episodes 1-5)
One half of the titular duo, Ban acts like a jerk
to just about everyone except Ginji, and sometimes even to him. A "fighting genius", incredibly intelligent, and very well-read on a number of subjects. Was once a thief with Himiko and her brother, but seemed pretty burned out on life until he met Ginji. Fights using his "Snake Bite"
arm and his Jagan eye's illusions.
He is a quarter-German
, and it's from his German grandmother that he gets his witch blood. His right hand has an over 200kg grip, a benefit of his family's curse of Asclepius (or Ophiuchus in the manga). The Magical Eye
—left as the Japanese Jagan
in ADV Films
' release of the anime—is another curse, which he can use to give anyone he makes eye contact with a realistic nightmare that lasts exactly one minute
. These curses have their downsides: the Jagan can only be used three times in 24 hours - any more and he will disappear. It is said his family is destined to have terrible luck.
You'd almost have to agree, based on how things go - he's had to kill two friends on their request (Yamato and Eris
) and can never seem to catch a break when it comes to money
He was raised by Maria Noches, his grandmother's apprentice, though he ran away from her at a young age. From there he spent some time with Himiko and her brother Yamato, and after he had to kill Yamato he left for the Infinite Fortress where he met Ginji.
Voiced by: Showtaro Morikubo (Japanese); J Shanon Weaver (English)
Voiced as a child by: Ryōko Shiraishi (Japanese), Gary Livingston (English)
The other half of the titular duo, normally bubbly and affectionate, but definitely not someone you want to cross. In the past, he was the leader of the VOLTS street gang, but ended up leaving for various angsty reasons. He's very dependent on Ban, likely because he's not used to having someone he can depend on; instead being the person everyone else looks to. Everyone loves Ginji, and he loves everyone, so it worked for a little while, but eventually threatened to destroy everyone around him. Fights with electricity.
His alter ego the Lightning Emperor (Japanese: Raitei
) requires electricity only the Limitless Fortressnote
) can provide, unless he blacks out an entire city section. Ban makes sure Ginji doesn't turn into the Lightning Emperor, as it can be difficult for Ginji to control himself in this state.
He grew up in the Limitless Fortress, and used to have black hair before his electricity turned it blond.
- Badass Adorable : Becomes this after teaming up with Ban.
- Bishōnen: Most noticeably in the anime , which obviously aims to attract an audience that goes beyond the typical shounen fans.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Played with, as Ginji had dark hair until his friend Longhua died and he first became the Lightning Emperor—it turned blond from the shock. However, the change was permanent, and Ginji doesn't really become the happy-sweet Ginji we all know and love until after he leaves the Limitless Fortress.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Things will usually go his way. At first, it comes off as he was just Born Lucky. It comes to the fore when inside Infinity Fortress where this reaches near Reality Warper levels.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Even when he is not in 'Lightning Emperor' mode, he is still a force to be reckoned with.
- First Name Basis: Switches from "Midou-kun" straight to "Ban-chan" after their first recovery mission together.
- Healing Factor: An often overlooked power of Ginji's is his ability to heal rapidly from severe injuries. After his first fight with Akabane he healed all of his cuts as soon as he ate. His Lightning Emperor from takes this up PAST Eleven with the ability to instantly heal from injuries such as a sword to the gut and a KNIFE TO THE HEART!!!
- During his battle with the Miroku Seven on Battleship Island, the Lightning Emperor's regenerative abilities reach the level where he can take a sword blow from Natsuhiko without flinching and the first half of the cut has already completely healed before Natsuhiko has even finished his attack.
- Hero Protagonist
- Love Freak: Somewhat, especially after resolving to leave the Limitless Fortress and become as different as possible from him formerly favoured Lightning Emperor persona.
- Magnetic Hero: Very much so. Heck, not even Ban is immune.
- No Sense of Direction: Played for laughs. Even if he has no idea of where to go, he usually finds it faster than anyone else or comes in at just the right moment.
- Perpetual Poverty
- Psycho Electro: If he uses his powers for a long time, his Superpowered Evil Side arises)
- Sailor Fuku: Wears one of this along with Ban briefly during the Birth Arc. It embarrasses and grosses the heck out of him.
- Shock and Awe
- Super-Deformed: Called tare, he turns into a walking, plushie version of himself when he's being the comic relief. Needless to say, several females in the series, namely Hevn and Maria Noches, find this adorable.
- Superpowered Evil Side: The Lightning Emperor.
- Summon Magic: During the Divine Design arc.
- Tender Tears: It's not uncommon for the manga to cut from a heartwarming scene to a shot of Ginji sniffling happily.
- Unstoppable Rage: In this aspect, he completely outdoes his good pal above. The Lightning Emperor is later revealed as being the embodiment of all the Limitless Fortress residents' anger, hatred, despair and pain. So you can't really blame the guy for having no self-control, can you?
- Would Hit a Girl: Only when he goes berserk and becomes the Lightning Emperor. He's shown to be willing to electrocute and torture his old friend Sakura when she gets in his way, and even Akabane seems surprised that Ginji would do something so ungentlemanly as beat the living shit out of a woman.