Characters: The Fall
open/close all folders
DSI Stella Gibson
Played By: Gillian AndersonStella Gibson is a Detective Superintendent in Londonís Metropolitan Police who arrives in Belfast to conduct a review into a murder case that has not progressed in the month since the investigation started.She has experience of the kind of high profile and complex case that the Police Service of Northern Ireland are facing, and it is this skillset that ACC Jim Burns believes can be brought to bear.Her personal life is an enigma, but Gibson is committed to the cause not her loved ones. She is a fighter through and through and anyone not part of the solution is part of the problem.
- Bi the Way
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defective Detective
- Fair Cop
- Fish out of Water
- Good Is Not Nice
- Good Is Not Soft
- Hero with Bad Publicity: She's disliked by some of the PSNI because she's an English woman there to review their investigation. There are also local thugs who try to intimidate her while she is at work on the streets.
- Married to the Job
- Sophisticated as Hell
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: Most notably when she watches the video file of Rose Stagg's kidnapping.
Played By: Jamie DornanPaul Spector is the other side of Stella Gibsonís coin. He is a husband and a father but it is his actions that come to define him. He too seeks to control the world around him, but unlike Gibson he wilfully transgresses the very rules of society that she seeks to enforce.His family might induce some sort of feelings of love, but it also provides him with the outward appearance of normality. On the surface at least he is socially competent, persuasive and manipulative. By creating a fantasy and putting it into action he believes he creates his own highly controlled existential reality, his personal microcosm.He works as a bereavement councillor and in fact his unique lack of empathy makes him a superficially competent one. However, it is the activities that he carries out in the shadows of society that reveal Spectorís true character.Paul Spector is a serial killer. This is his addiction, and like any addict he needs more of the drug each time to reach a similar high.
- Beard of Evil: It's Perma Stubble in the first series and an outright creepy beard in the second.
- Big Bad: Of the first series and possibly the second.
- Consummate Liar: Part of how he's able to get away with his crimes and successfully fool his wife.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: When watching online videos of Katie.
- Lack of Empathy: Paul doesn't seem to have any concept of other people as being people, which makes him excellent as a detached grief counselor.
- Lean and Mean: He keeps himself in wiry, muscular shape.
- Panty Thief: Part of his MO is stealing his victims underwear as a prelude to killing them.
- Perverted Sniffing: He smells his victim's hair clippings and underwear.
- Serial Killer: Targeting successful women in their thirties.
- Significant Sketch Book: He keeps a creepy sketchbook filled with drawings and photographs of his victims.
- The Sociopath: His Lack of Empathy and thrill-seeking, i.e. stalking and serial killing definitely strongly points in this direction.
- The Stoic:
- Not So Stoic: Most notably when his children are mentioned.
- Villain Protagonist: Is the series' deuteragonist.
Played By: Laura DonnellyA young professional woman who is targeted by Spector.
Played By: Bronagh WaughSally Ann is Paulís wife and mother to their children, Olivia and Liam. She works as a neonatal nurse and whilst she is caring she is also no-nonsense. Capable and mature, Sally Ann looks at her happiest with a baby in her arms.
Played By: Michael Mc ElhattonBelfast Chief of Police.
DCI Matt Eastwood
Played By: Stuart Graham
Played By: Frank McCusker
PSNI Patrol Off. Danielle Ferrington
Played By: Niamh McGradyDani Ferrington is a PSNI patrol officer. Intuitive and sensitive, Ferrington is also physical and tough. Given the opportunity to shine, Ferrington grabs it with both hands, and so when Gibson invites her into the heart of the investigative unit, Dani is determined to prove her worth.
Played By: [Ian Mc Elhinney Ian McElhinney]
ACC Jim Burns
Played By: John LynchBurns is the Assistant Chief Constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland. Policing here is political and Burns is under increasing pressure from the Chairman of the Independent Policing Executive, Morgan Monroe. It was Burnsí idea to bring in Gibson to review the Alice Monroe murder enquiry.
- Butt Monkey: Everything seems to conspire against him.
- Off The Wagon: In the second series, he breaks 5 years of sobriety and tries to rekindle his affair with Stella because he indirectly warned Aaron Monroe to flee Belfast.
- Your Cheating Heart: Had an affair with Stella while he was married.
Prof. Tanya Reed Smith
Played By: Archie PanjabiA pathologist who is assigned to the murder investigation.
Played By: Ben PeelA Detective Sergeant.
- Cowboy Cop
- Dirty Cop
- Pet the Dog: Drops the cop-lawyer rivalry and takes a moment to comfort Mc Swain when the latter learns of Sarah Kay's murder.
- Police Brutality: Olson forces a suspect to spit out his gum by squeezing his jaw.
- Surprisingly Sudden Death: He's shot multiple times in the back just as he's about to enter his home.
- Villainous Friendship: With Rob Breedlove.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Killed in the second episode.
- Your Cheating Heart: He has a one-night stand with Stella, but we later find out he's married with two kids.
Played By: Gerard McCarthyA lawyer and friend of Sarah Kay. They work at the same firm.
Played By: Nick LeeA Belfast journalist, keen on impressing himself upon Gibson and exposing the failings of the PSNI.
- Intrepid Reporter: Believes himself as one, although in reality, his means of getting the latest dirt on the PSNI are downright unethical.
Played By: Karen HassanA young accountant who catches the eye of murderer Paul Spector.
Played By: Emmett ScanlanA Detective Constable assigned to the investigation.
- Pornstache: In the first series
Katrina "Katie" Benedetto
Played By: Aisling FranciosiA 15 year old girl who babysits Spector's children.
Played By: Eugene O'Hare