- Played by: Tom Hanks
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Well, symbologist, but he still fits the "adventurer" side of things.
- Badass Bookworm: Robert mostly relies on his brains to get through things, but proves capable of some physical feats from time to time.
- Claustrophobia: Does not like tight spaces.
- Clear My Name: How the plot kicks off, with Fache suspecting him of murder.
- Played by: Paul Bettany
- Abusive Parents: His father killed his mother when he was young. Consequently, Silas murdered him and ended up on the streets.
- Badass: Fights off numerous policemen in the climax.
- Black Cloak: Wears one, as a monk.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He sees Bishop Aringarosa as a father figure.
- Evil Albino: Unstable assassin, Knight Templar, and albino, Silas ticks the boxes (despite numerous inaccuracies on albinism in the book).
- Heel Realisation: After shooting Aringarosa by accident, he realises that he has done wrong, carries his father figure to hospital and then dies praying for forgiveness.
- Hypocrite: He believes himself to be a devout man, but he commits several murders through the movie, in violation of his religion's teachings. Sophie calls him out on his hypocrisy.Sophie: You believe in God? Your God doesn't forgive murderers. He burns them.
- In the Hood: Wears a hooded robe.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He killed his emotionally and physically abusive father.
- Knight Templar: Seems to believe that everything he does is just and that his enemies are immoral monsters. He calls himself a "messenger of God" and genuinely believes he is committing murders in God's name.Silas: Each breath you take is a sin. No shadow will be safe again, for you will be hunted by angels.
- Only a Flesh Wound: He gets shot in the climax, but keeps fighting and only stops when he accidentally shoots Aringarosa. Deconstructed when he eventually bleeds to death.
- Pet the Dog: Years before, he saved Bishop Aringarosa from robbers who were beating him and stealing the church's valuables.
- Redemption Equals Death: After getting Aringarosa to help in time and praying for forgiveness, he bleeds to death.
- Self-Harm: Part of how he punishes himself.
- A Taste of the Lash: Complete with an added taste of religious fanaticism.
- Tykebomb: Everything going wrong in his childhood led to his imprisonment and eventually resulted in his becoming an assassin.
- Warrior Monk: Both an assassin and a monk.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Zigzagged between this and Knight Templar. While he believes his actions are just and that his enemies are all wrong, he also hates having to murder people because he knows it's wrong, and only the belief that it's for the good of the church keeps him going.
- Would Hit a Girl: One of his victims in the book is a woman.
- Played by: Ian McKellen
- Affably Evil: All said and done, he actually is a fairly polite gentleman.
- Big Bad: He's the reason that Silas killed the Priory members and kicked off the plot.
- The Chessmaster: He played everyone like a fiddle, up to and including his own manservant.
- Handicapped Badass: Despite suffering from polio, Leigh essentially sucker punches Silas with his crutches.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Polite, serves tea and loves his money.
- Walking Spoiler: The sheer amount of blanked text should be a clue.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His aim was to expose the Church as liars by exposing the truth about the Grail. To that end, he manipulated a man with a Knight Templar assassin at his command.
- Played by: Jean Reno
- Determinator: With regards to his work.
- Inspector Javert: To Robert Langdon, who he believes is responsible for the murder.
- Played by: Alfred Molina
- Big Bad: The one ordering Silas around and kicking the plot off. Except it's a lie. He was manipulated.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Years before, he was grateful when Silas saved him from intruders, calling Silas an "angel". Afterwards, he took in Silas, mentored him, and treated him like a son.
- Large Ham: He's loud and dramatic when making a point. In one scene, he splashes wine on a table in anger.
- Meaningful Name / Genius Bonus it means Red Herring- well more accurately "pink herring", but this is Dan Brown...
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His aim was to stop anyone finding out about the grail. He wasn't doing this For the Evulz, but genuinely believed it was misinformation that could damage the Church.
- Played by: Audrey Tautou
- Brainy Brunette: She's a brunette who shows herself to be intelligent and clever throughout the film. An upbringing full of puzzels, courtesy of Saunière, may have sharpened her intellect.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Her parents were killed in an automobile accident when she was a child. Afterwards, Jacques Saunière raised her.
- Royal Blood: She is a descendant of Jesus of Nazareth and Mary Magdalene.
- Played by: Jean-Pierre Marielle
- Parental Substitute: To Sophie. He raised her after her parents' deaths.