Characters: Suikoden Tactics
Cast of Characters
The game includes a good deal of characters from Suikoden IV, but the characters presented here exclusively appear in Suikoden Tactics
- The Hero: He is the main character in the game. Unlike in the previous Suikoden games, the player does not choose a name for the hero.
- Magnetic Hero: As is typical of Suikoden heroes, Kyril inspires people to help his cause.
- Blade on a Stick: He wields a doubled-ended glaive named Noble Fury.
- Demi Human: The events at the end of the game reveal that Yohn, Walter's demi-human companion, is Kyril's mother, and his brave actions in defeating Iskas open a portal that allow her (and a revived Walter) to return to her world.
- But Now I Must Go: He eventually leaves on a journey without his friends after the story ends later on in his life.
- Duel Boss: Has a 1-on-1 fight with the Final Boss.
- For Great Justice: He has a very strong inclination to help others in need.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty
- Heroic Mime: Averted. Unlike all other Suikoden heroes, he actually talks.
- Heroic Spirit
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: Kyril's backstory is laid out in the first few chapters of the game, which are set when he is around 13.
- You Killed My Father: His father, Walter, was turned into a fish monster by the pirate Steele's deadly Rune Cannon. He rushes to help his father, but the now hostile Walter is necessarily killed by Andarc to save Kyril's life.
- Heroic BSOD: These tragic events leave Kyril numb with shock and he is unable to fight properly. Gameplay wise, his special attacks must be re-learnt and he is unable to fully kill fish monster enemies. This state lasts until the chapters of the game set 2 years after Suikoden IV, when Kyril is 5 years older.
- He's Back: Following the above events.
- Dramatic Irony: Late in the game, Kyril kills a fishman to defend Corselia, finally overcoming the mental block that's prevented him from doing so in the past, only to realize he just slew her father, mirroring the trauma that caused said mental block in the first place.
- Took a Level in Badass
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: As a young boy, he travelled with his father, learning how to fight, becoming very proficient at a very young age.
- Anyone Can Die:
- Painful Transformation: He is necessarily killed by Andarc to protect Kyril, having been transformed into a raging fish monster by the pirate Steele's Rune Cannon.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Following Iskas's destruction, he tells Kyril the truth about his existence, and asked him to come with into Yohn's world. Kyril refused, and so he and Yohn went into her world together alone, at peace.
- The Engineer: He is a particularly talented engineer and an expert on Rune Cannons.
- The Fettered: He believes in responsibility, honor, and justice.
- Heroic Spirit
- Interspecies Romance: Demi-human Yohn is actually Kyril's mother and Walter's long-standing partner.
- The Power of Love: He is looking to research Rune Cannons to help his partner Yohn find a way back to her world.
- Secret Identity: It turns out that he is actually a spy from the Scarlet Moon Empire.
- Team Dad: He is Kyril's father and leads the initial group, consisting of himself, Kyril, Seneca, Andarc and the mysterious Yohn.
- Demi Human: She is a mysterious half-goat, half-human.
- Interspecies Romance: She is actually Kyril's mother and Walter's long-standing partner.
- Mysterious Past: This unravels towards the end of the game. It is revealed she was summoned from the World of Emptiness, the same world where the Giant Tree (the source of all rune cannon ammunition) came from. She was stuck in the world, unable to communicate outside of her home.
- Petting Zoo People
- The Speechless: She doesn't say a word, until after the final battle.
- Talking to the Dead: Despite being mute, she has the unique to communicate with the souls of the recently departed, a valuable trait for investigating the mysteries of the Rune Cannons.
The Kooluk Imperial Family
- Anyone Can Die: He is necessarily killed by Kyril when he attacks his own daughter, Corselia, having been turned into a mindless fish monster by the Evil Eye.
- Badass Beard
- Big Guy
- Blood Knight: He's said to be particularly brutal in battle.
- Fish People: He is turned into a fish monster by the Evil Eye.
- Horrible Judge of Character: He is easily manipulated by Iskas into believing that Kyril kidnapped his daughter, Corselia and is unaware that Iskas and his wife, Miranda, are having an affair.
- Heel-Face Turn: after Iskas's treachery is exposed by Corselia.
- Married to the Job: He's usually away at battle, which leaves his wife lonely, and gives opportunity for Iskas, the leader of the Patriarchal Faction, to seduce her.
- Papa Wolf: To his daughter and heir, Corselia.
- Rated M for Manly
- Stout Strength
- You Go Girl: As he dies, Yohn relays that Martin urges his young heir Corselia to do what she felt was right regarding the fate of the Empire.
- Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder: Her husband Martin's constant absence increasingly frustrated her and so she began an affair with Iskas.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Unsurprisingly.
- Extreme Doormat
- Horrible Judge of Character: She is easily seduced and manipulated by Iskas into going along with his plans.
- Missing Mom: To Corselia, whilst she is in Iskas's thrall.
- Mama Bear: She is finally pushed to the limit, when Iskas's threatens Corselia's life, and attempts to stab him in an attempt to stop him from laying a hand on her daughter.
- Weak-Willed: Her revulsion at Iskas's plans clashed with her feelings for him as well as her own weak-willed nature.
- The Archmage: Despite his youthful appearance, he's is an extremely powerful sorcerer.
- Badass Pacifist: He refuses the call to fight in the Kooluk Army and his house is surrounded by soldiers.
- Rescue Arc: So the heroes set out to rescue him and he gratefully lends them his expertise.
- Fantastic Science: Given an Alger Doll and a Wizened Arm, he is finally able to conduct an experiment that reveals the true nature of the Evil Eyes. They create a temporary portal to the World of Emptiness, in which humans cannot exist, and are thus turned into fish monsters, an irreversible process.
- Mysterious Past: He seems to be old friends with Jeane, which is an intriguing connection, given the similarities in their seemingly eternally youthful appearances.
- Purple Eyes
- Really 700 Years Old: His exact age is unknown, but stories about his powers of healing far outdate his physical appearance.
- Genki Girl
- Girlish Pigtails
- Kamehame Hadoken: Her special rune attack.
- Little Miss Badass: She amongst the best fighters in the game, once leveled up.
- New Game+: She is only playable once the game is completed all the way through once, and the player opts to start a new game.
- Side Quest: Her speciality. She runs the Middleport Quest Guild, where players can take part in a huge variety of missions, ranging from simple fetch and carry affairs, all the way up to multi-leveled, epic battle maps.
- Waif-Fu: She is an expert in martial arts, despite being very petite.
- Young Entrepreneur
- BFS: He wields a huge broadsword.
- Just Following Orders: He was sent by the Scarlet Moon Empire, along with Heinz, to investigate Rune Cannons, and try to retrieve them. A goal which he did not personally agree with.
- Nice Guy
- Number Two: He is Heinz's second in command.
- Old Friend: Of Andarc's.
- This Is Unforgivable!: He finally puts his foot down when the corrupt Heinz plans to kidnap Corselia for Scarlet Moon's gain. He parts company with Heinz completely and stays with Kyril, agreeing that the Rune Cannons and the Evil Eye should be destroyed.
- Old Friend: Of Walter's.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: He joins with Kyril's group to research Rune Cannons, having been sent to Kooluk under orders from the Scarlet Moon Empire.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Heinz was determined to take the Rune Cannons back to Scarlet Moon, even attempting to use Corselia as leverage. He was stopped by Coop and he and Kyril's group parted ways.
- Final Death: After being abandoned by Coop and Kyril's team, he was surrounded by officers of the Patriarchal Faction and murdered.
Suikoden Tactic's Antagonists
- Artifact of Doom: He possesses the deadly Rune of Punishment. Until he dies and the Rune passes to Brandeau.
- Ermine Cape Effect: His brutal piracy has made him rich, and he wears opulent fur-trimmed robes and a velvet crown.
- Evil Makes You Ugly: He's downright hideous.
- Pirate: Of the Type 1 unwashed, looting brute variety.
- Taking You with Me: He was confronted ship to ship by Edgar and Brandeau, along Walter and his team. Steele was defeated by them, but used his Rune of Punishment one last time, killing Edgar, along with himself.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He originally approaches Kyril's group under the guise of a foppish arms dealer, explaining he is keen on procuring Rune Cannons from anybody willing to sell them.
- The Charmer: He successfully seduces and begins an affair with Corselia's mother, Miranda.
- Was It All a Lie?: He does this purely so he can gain control over Corselia as her regent and rule Kooluk, all part of his evil plan.
- The Chessmaster
- Evil Plan: His is the leader of the Kooluk Patriarchal Faction. He feels it is unfair that the Faction does all the work in Kooluk, but he cannot have overall rule simply because he does not have Royal blood. Therefore, he decides to plan a sophisticated coup d'etat, and gain power for himself.
- Fantastic Science: To help with this evil scheme, he discovers the ability of a modified rune cannon to transform anybody who comes near it into a fish monster, unable to revert back to human form. Thus, he seeks out Rune Cannons wherever he can.
- Manipulative Bastard: When he fails to kidnap Corselia to advance his plan, he frames Kyril as her kidnapper, which sends the powerful Royal family afer Kyril's party, allowing him to quietly pursue his goals.
- One-Winged Angel: During the final battle, he transforms himself into a giant fish monster, before being defeated. Finally.
- Mr. Fanservice: Certainly where Miranda is concerned.