Characters / Sugar Sugar Rune
Characters that appeared in Moyoco Anno's Sugar Sugar Rune.
Both Chocolat and Vanilla
Chocolat Meilleur / Chocolat Kato
One of the main characters, Vanilla's best friend and also one of the candidates to become the Queen of the Magical World.
- Anime Hair: She sports some impressively weird hairstyles over the course of the series.
- Dating Catwoman: Her relationship with Pierre.
- Fiery Redhead: A perfect example of the trope.
- Generation Xerox: She and her mother both fell in love with the same kind of people, cold, stoic, broody ogre guys. Chocolat's dad and Pierre even look similar.
- Genki Girl
- Green Eyes
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: Part of why she's obsessed with capturing Pierre's heart is because he's so hard to get.
- Lethal Chef: Apparently, although we never see any evidence of it.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: Her mother's diary.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Tsundere: Type A towards Pierre and her classmates. Her short temper and aggressive nature make her unpopular in the human world, but when she gives the human boys chocolate on Valentine's Day, they think that both sides of Chocolat are nice- the tsuntsun side, and the deredere side. She initially treats Pierre harshly and coldly, but by the end of the anime, she is no longer tsuntsun towards him.
- Zettai Ryouiki: The stockings in her witch outfit qualify her for this.
Vanilla Mieux / Vanilla Ice
One of the main characters, Chocolat's best friend and also one of the candidates to become the Queen of the Magical World. Vanilla is a very shy but a kind person.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her cute clumsiness is part of why the boys all go nuts for her.
- Dark Magical Girl: After becoming the Ogre Princess. She gets better.
- Evil Costume Switch: She wears a slinky dark purple dress when she becomes the Ogre Princess. She also starts favoring a black feather boa.
- Face–Heel Turn: After siding with Pierre and becoming the Ogre Princess. She also gets better.
- Fragile Flower
- Lonely at the Top: Vanille's status as princess combined with her introverted personality made her very lonely as a child.
- Purple Eyes
- Shrinking Violet
- The Unfavorite: She grows to feel this way about the Queen competition, thinking that everyone including her own mother would prefer that Chocolat won the contest.
Chocolat and Vanilla's guardian and mentor in the human world, Robin is an accomplished wizard and a rockstar in the human world.
One of the main characters, and prince of the ogres.
- An Ice Person
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Chocolat even remarks on how cute he looks in a skirt.
- Beauty is Bad: He's the prettiest boy in school, is mooned over by tons of girls, and even has his own fanclub. He's also a heartless jerk.
- Defrosting Ice King
- Does Not Like Spam: His dislike of carrots is a running gag.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: Was childhood friends with Chocolat before he got kidnapped and turned into the Prince of Ogres.
- Generation Xerox: He looks exactly like his ancestor, the Ice Prince. Subverted when we find out that they're not actually related.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk -> Jerk with a Heart of Gold: At first his "heart of gold" moments are faked, but later on he starts to reveal a genuine heart of gold. Literally, since Chocolat discovers that he has another, normal heart alongside his corrupted, noir heart.
- Kuudere: Starts off as one but turns into a tsundere towards Chocolat.
- Love Redeems
- Making a Splash: Pierre has been said to use water-based magic.
- Manipulative Bastard: He's quite good at manipulating girls' emotions in order to milk noir hearts out of them.
- Meaningful Name: His first name means "stone" (as in "heart of stone") and his last name, "Tempete du Neige," means "snow storm."
- Motif: He's constantly associated with ice and coldness. When Chocolat first meets him, she even notices that his hand feels chilly, and at school he eats a special diet that consists entirely of cold foods.
- Right-Hand Cat: His familiar is a black cat, who later turns out to be more than she seems.
- Tsundere: He's a mix of tsundere and kuudere towards Chocolat.
- Walking Wasteland: In the magical world, his noir power is strong enough that it saps the energy of any living thing that gets near him. Once he and Chocolat team up, this becomes a problem.
- Younger Than They Look: He's 14, but looks like he's in his twenties. Whether this is intentional or due to Artistic Age is unknown.
Pierre's servant both in the anime and manga. Later in the manga he is forced by Alchimie to help Alchimie steal Pierre's Noir. Has the ability to predict the weather.
Chocolat's frog familiar.
Vanilla's mouse familiar.
Vanilla's mother and queen of the magical world.
Chocolat's dead mother.
- Baleful Polymorph
- Cat Stereotype: Fittingly for such a mysterious character, her cat form is black.
- Cats Are Magic: She seems to have the strongest magic of the three familiars we meet.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Cernunnos is introduced early on as Pierre's familiar who just hangs around in the background of his scenes and never says anything.
- Missing Mom
- Mysterious Parent: A continual thread throughout the story is Chocolat's efforts to find out more about her mother and what happened to her.
- The Speechless: Part of her punishment was having her voice taken away.
The delivery man for the magical mail-order service.
Houx and Saule
Chocolat's childhood friends who become her knights during the Magical Girl Queenliness Test
An ancient witch who lives alone in a desert on the edge of the magical world.
A shopkeeper who drives very
Alchimie's flying broomstick who formed an attachment to Chocolat and escaped with her.
A famous Hollywood actress who also happens to be a witch.