Characters: Sugar Sugar Rune
Characters that appeared in Moyoco Anno's Sugar Sugar Rune.
Both Chocolat and Vanilla
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Chocolat and Vanilla's fascination with Pierre.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Cute Witch
- Disappeared Dad: Neither Chocolat's or Vanilla's father gets mentioned in the manga or the anime. spoiler:Chocolat's dad's identity is revealed near the end of the manga.
- Familiar: Chocolat has Duke the Frog and Vanilla has Blanca the Mouse.
- Lovely Angels
- Pointy Ears
- Red Oni, Blue Oni
- Shout-Out: To Meg and Non from Majokko Megu Chan, down to the heart and diamond pendants.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl
Chocolat Meilleur / Chocolat KatoOne of the main characters, Vanilla's best friend and also one of the candidates to become the Queen of the Magical World.
- Fiery Redhead: A perfect example of the trope.
- Genki Girl
- Green Eyes
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: Her mother's diary.
- Redheaded Hero
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Zettai Ryouiki
Vanilla Mieux / Vanilla IceOne of the main characters, Chocolat's best friend and also one of the candidates to become the Queen of the Magical World. Vanilla is a very shy but a kind person.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her cute clumsiness is part of why the boys all go nuts for her.
- Dark Magical Girl: After becoming the Ogre Princess. She gets better.
- Face-Heel Turn: After siding with Pierre and becoming the Ogre Princess. She also gets better.
- Fragile Flower
- Lonely at the Top: Vanille's status as princess combined with her introverted personality made her very lonely as a child.
- Purple Eyes
- Shrinking Violet
- The Unfavorite: She grows to feel this way about the Queen competition, thinking that everyone including her own mother would prefer that Chocolat won the contest.
Rockin' RobinChocolat and Vanilla's guardian and mentor in the human world, Robin is an accomplished wizard and a rockstar in the human world.
- The Charmer: Robin is very good at collecting pink, red, and purple hearts from women.
- Mentor Occupational Hazard
- Sexy Mentor
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
PierreOne of the main characters, and prince of the ogres.
- An Ice Person
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Chocolat even remarks on how cute he looks in a skirt.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Defrosting Ice King
- Does Not Like Spam: His dislike of carrots is a running gag.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: Was childhood friends with Chocolat before he got kidnapped and turned into the Prince of Ogres.
- Generation Xerox: He looks exactly like his ancestor, the Ice Prince. spoiler: Subverted when we find out that they're not actually related.
- Hot Guys Are Bastards: He's the prettiest boy in school, is mooned over by tons of girls, and even has his own fanclub. He's also a heartless jerk.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk -> Jerk with a Heart of Gold: At first his "heart of gold" moments are faked, but later on he starts to reveal a genuine heart of gold. spoiler: Literally, since Chocolat discovers that he has another, normal heart alongside his corrupted, noir heart.
- Love Redeems
- Making a Splash: Pierre has been said to use water-based magic.
- Manipulative Bastard: He's quite good at manipulating girls' emotions in order to milk noir hearts out of them.
- Meaningful Name: His first name means "stone" (as in "heart of stone") and his last name, "Tempete du Neige," means "snow storm."
- Motif: He's constantly associated with ice and coldness. When Chocolat first meets him, she even notices that his hand feels chilly, and at school he eats a special diet that consists entirely of cold foods.
- Right-Hand Cat: His familiar is a black cat, who later turns out to be more than she seems.
- Walking Wasteland: In the magical world, his noir power is strong enough that it saps the energy of any living thing that gets near him. Once he and Chocolat team up, this becomes a problem.
- Younger Than They Look: He's 14, but looks like he's in his twenties.
GirouettePierre's servant both in the anime and manga. Later in the manga he is forced by Alchimie to help Alchimie steal Pierre's Noir. Has the ability to predict the weather.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Blow You Away: Girouette can control wind.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
Duke/PoivreChocolat's frog familiar.
- Baleful Polymorph: Once disguised himself as a familiar when trying to escape execution. It worked a little too well and he ended up turning to a real familiar instead.
- Black Sheep
- Long-Lost Relative: spoiler: He's Chocolat's uncle.
- Making a Splash
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Verbal Tic: "Gero" or "ribbit."
Blanca/LibbyVanilla's mouse familiar.
- Baleful Polymorph: After falling in love with a human.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: She wears a scarf.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Verbal Tic: "Chu" or "chitter."
Queen CandyVanilla's mother and queen of the magical world.
Cinnamon Meilleure/CernunnosChocolat's dead mother.
- Baleful Polymorph
- Cat Stereotype: Fittingly for such a mysterious character, her cat form is black.
- Cats Are Magic: She seems to have the strongest magic of the three familiars we meet.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Cernunnos is introduced early on as Pierre's familiar who just hangs around in the background of his scenes and never says anything.
- Missing Mom
- Mysterious Parent: A continual thread throughout the story is Chocolat's efforts to find out more about her mother and what happened to her.
- The Speechless: Part of her punishment was having her voice taken away.
JoeThe delivery man for the magical mail-order service.
Houx and SauleChocolat's childhood friends who become her knights during the Magical Girl Queenliness Test.
- Bodyguard Crush: Some hints of this between them and Chocolat. And eventually, one between Vanilla and Saule.
- Those Two Guys
AmberAn ancient witch who lives alone in a desert on the edge of the magical world.
AlchimieA shopkeeper who drives very hard bargains.
MeteorAlchimie's flying broomstick who formed an attachment to Chocolat and escaped with her.
- Androcles' Lion: Sort of. Ever since Chocolat accidentally rescued it from Alchimie, it seemed very fond of her and periodically came to her aid.
- Animate Inanimate Object: A sentient broomstick.
- The Speechless