open/close all folders
A young orphaned lupian of 12 years old with a big mouth and an even bigger attitude, Meela is quite sassy and energetic and has a strong sense of justice that she tries to guide her (and other’s) actions by. She's mostly an annoyance and a burden to Feral, but she has brief, almost unintentional moments, where she actually helps the situation. She is constantly troubled by a painful past, but tries not to let it interfere with her current life. She is also prone to having strange dreams that don’t always reflect her past or memories and often confuse her.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: She gets easily distracted by things she'd never seen before and shiny objects. Given the timing of some of those things, like when Holland is asking her about her past, one has to wonder if she's doing it on purpose.
- Break the Cutie: Over time things get steadily worse for her, from being poisoned, to having her past catch up with her, being attacked by a bounty hunter and killing him, then with the crowner being finding out Feral killed her father.
- Fiery Red Head: She's got a mouthy and reckless personality to match her red hair.
- Kid Sidekick: To Feral, however unwillingly on his part.
- Morality Pet: To Feral; Holland explicitly says that Meela is good for Feral and helping him with his many issues.
- Parental Abandonment: Her father is killed before the start of the story. Her mother had disappeared before that point and she was raised by her brother before he was killed.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Played with in regards to her demon nature; when it first comes out, she's violent and even attacks Holland, but it's a natural result of being antagonized by Korin at the time—she can turn into her demon form at will with practice. Later she turns into her demon form and attacks Feral, but it's because she's furious with him and she's even able to speak in that form.
- You Killed My Father: She doesn't deal with it well when she learns that Feral, or at least his evil counterpart, is the one who killed her father and brother Connor.
Feral is a lone mercenary and bounty hunter with a past unknown to even himself, completely on his own with no apparent ties to any one or any place. He is a mute and cannot speak, so he communicates through his expressions and wild hand gestures, which most people rarely understand. Not much is known about how he lost his voice or the cause of his red eye, mostly due to his inability to communicate decently. He is rather rough and serious, but not completely without heart, often tolerating Meela's presence despite the irritation she causes.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Roughly tousling someone's hair is how Feral shows affection, which we see with Holland and, eventually, Meela.
- Bounty Hunter: His line of work. He ended up going into it because after his dark and troubled past he was too mentally and socially traumatized to do anything more mundane.
- Covered with Scars: Multiple scars riddle his body. Meela assumes it's a result of his bounty hunter work, but the bulk of them after actually because of being attacked by Mal in his wolf form.
- Dark and Troubled Past: One which he doesn't remember, although the mental scars remain. He not only was run out of his clan when his parents were killed, both by the same person, but his childhood friend became mad with magical power and one day attacked him, leaving him grievously wounded and their souls merged together.
- Grand Theft Me: Whenever Malkar comes out he takes over Feral's body—Feral can't even remember what he does as Malkar.
- I Work Alone: At least until Meela showed up.
- Meaningful Name: Although it may or may not have been given to him, his second name, "Heiss," means "hot" in German. He is a very hot-blooded and hot-headed person.
- The Quiet One: Speechlessness aside, he's quite reluctant to ever explain anything even with means available to him. Any questions that aren't purely practical will often be shut down completely.
- Sharing a Body: He's Yuen sharing a body with Mal, their souls merged to a point they can't be separated.
- Silent Snarker: He doesn't talk, but that doesn't mean he can't convey his snark through facial expressions and gestures.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Feral is a mixture of Yuen and Mal, with Feral being the softer-hearted Yuen side and Malkar naturally being the violent, cruel Mal side. Whenever Feral takes in too much dark magic, Malkar comes out.
- The Speechless: Because of an injury to his vocal chords. He becomes voiced when Mal takes over, if only because Mal speaks through thought.
- Unsound Effect: Often used to emphasise whatever Feral is trying to convey.
- Visible Silence: Much of his dialogue is ellipses.
Holland Perdicus Lathalinethetul
Holland is a long-time friend of Feral's. He is cheerful and friendly, but is rather erratic. He flounces around with childish abandon and likes to push others into activities he believes will prove enjoyable. Despite his endearing personality, he often seems to be blatantly hiding things, glossing over them with a smile and a change of subject. One has to wonder if his true motives are as they seem or well-hidden behind a playful grin.
- Big Brother Mentor: Develops into this for Meela. Physically he does actually share a resemblance to her other brother, Connor, who died in the attack that killed her father.
- King Incognito: Of a 'you didn't ask' variant. He's actually a prince with several older brothers.
- Healing Magic: He has the ability to heal injuries and purify dark magic, although that's only if there's actual damage (meaning he can't heal his dislocated arm.)
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Feral. The two have been together for ten years, most of Holland's entire life.
- Morality Pet: Used to be one for Feral when he was a child, actually being the one who cooled Feral down from being a rabid, traumatized teen. Nowadays he's more of an annoyance, though.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: He can create a bow and arrow spontaneously.
- Trickster: Definitely smarter than he acts.
- Nice Guy: Overall, although he seems to have an issue with telling the whole truth, he's very kind and genuinely wants the best for Meela and Feral. He also disapproves of Lord Mithrennon's Fantastic Racism, even believing demons can be harmless.
A tough old man who is more than rough around the edges, Kosher is Feral's freelance manager and handles all of his assignments. He has an established working dialogue with Feral and generally only gives him jobs suited to his traits. He makes no secret of his disdain for Meela and enjoys berating her, often goading her on for the fun of it.
- Bounty Hunter: Well he manages one, Feral.
- Ironic Name: His first name "Kosher" is one given the word's meaning of "genuine and legitimate," whereas he's the kind of manager who will inconveniently leave out key details of Feral's targets.
- Jerkass: He's pretty rude to Meela, at least, and likes playing "pranks" on Feral such as not telling him his target has a gun.
- Rugged Scar: He's a tough old man who at one point got slashed across the face twice, judging by the X shape over his eyes.
Smart, sly, and a talented thief, Piper is a risky ally at best. Always on the look out for the next sucker that will fall for her charms, she delights in conning practically anything from anybody, sometimes just for kicks. Possessing a somewhat tender and sweet personality aids her deceptions, though it is easy to tug on her heartstrings, something she sees as an inconvenient fault in herself.
- Affectionate Pickpocket: Her method of choice is to steal from people while kissing them.
- Blow You Away: She has wind powers, which she blows Feral down the stairs with.
- Gold Digger: She dated Holland while being this, before finally stealing his royal seal and absconding.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's a thief and uses people for money, but she has a tender side somewhere deep down and is instantly concerned if someone ends up hurt. Even when she threatened to kill Meela early on, it was an obvious bluff which she didn't follow through with.
- Stripperific: Her first outfit, and some of her subsequent ones, are extremely scantily clad.
- Trickster: By way of Distracted by the Sexy and other such wiles, although not quite Instant Seduction in most cases.
Jyaku is a mysterious person that is in communication with Holland. Not much is known about his intentions, but he seems rather interested in Feral and Meela’s growing relationship.
- Badass: He's able to singlehandedly take down Visrial as an example of one of his several feats of strength and agility. He's clearly the most skilled in the cast.
- The Comically Serious: Even going into chibi form he has a cold expression.
- Cool Mask: His deer mask, complete with a headdress. He's not always wearing it, but it did throw off several readers who didn't expect to see his actual face when he showed up without it.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: He was given a character profile after he was introduced formally into the comics. Before then, anything at all about him was a mystery.
- The Mentor: It turns out that he was originally Feral's. The end of the comic has him becoming Meela's until she's got her magic under control enough to be with Feral for good.
Lord Liohnel MithrennonAn imposing, stern-looking lyrian who has been quickly climbing in social status and fame and causing trouble for Prince Holland and his family. Mithrennon preaches about elevated society with a pure existence, but behind the scenes he endorses the discrimination of anything he perceives to be a lesser being; humans, half-breeds and harmless demons.
- Greater Scope Villain: He's a big problem in Meoley's political world, but he's pretty much on the fringes of the story and only makes a few appearances. In story, he's mostly important to display the Fantastic Racism that leads to Meela losing her family.
- Evil Chancellor: His position in the Meoley government, it seems.
- Fantastic Racism: Towards any 'lesser beings', including lupians.
VisrialA felinian under the employ of Lord Liohnel Mithrennon for a bodyguard, who serves as his attack "dog," so to speak, during the party. After defeating him once, he turns out to be more of a thorn in the side of the heroes than initially expected. A sadistic master of poisons who cares mostly about gaining power.
- Ambiguously Brown: He's the only dark character in the story. It's not specified if felinians come from any land outside Meoley or not.
- The Dragon: To Mithrennon, at least in his first appearance.
- Dragon with an Agenda: After finding out about Feral's power he goes off on his own time to hunt him back down on and off, wanting to get it for himself.
- Licking the Blade: He's shown doing this on the cover of Chapter 8. It's clearly just for the cover since his blades are coated in poison.
- Poor Communication Kills: Wanting Feral's ability to absorb magic for himself, Visrial goes into a fight with him that turns fatal, demanding Feral tell him where he got his ability. Of course, it could have been avoided to an extent if anyone thought to mention that Feral literally cannot tell him.
- Would Hurt a Child: As he puts it, Mithrennon instructed him to kill anyone who enters the study without his permission...even "little lost dogs".
Characters in the Past
Tannor is Meela's brother and seems to have been in charge of her care before she ended up on her own after he died. She speaks of him often but the circumstances of his death are unclear. According to Meela he was smart, resourceful and a wonderful older brother. When Meela was younger he often used his limited skills to try to craft toys for her, a trait Meela remembers quite fondly.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Averted, actually, to a point that fans didn't even know he had a twin until it was explicitly spelled out in the story. He mourns his brother Connor, but not any more or less than his father.
- Posthumous Character: He was murdered by a bounty hunter not too long before the story starts.
- Promotion to Parent: He took on a parental role to Meela when their father died. He ended up coddling her a bit too much, though.
Mal is a rambunctious young lupian that occassionally appears in Meela’s dreams. She seems to know him quite well in them, but has no idea who he is when she is awake. Mal is excitable and somewhat foolhardy, often dragging Meela into trouble or even danger in pursuit of reckless fun.
- Childhood Friends: With Yuen, and by extension Feral.
- Corrupt the Cutie: After he gains a mark that lets him absorb the magic of those he's defeated, he goes utterly mad with power.
- Delinquent Hair: He wears his hair in a mohawk and rat tail after getting the ability to absorb people's energy.
- Meaningful Name: His name, Mal is a suffix meaning "evil". After he takes in too much dark magic, he becomes as evil as evil can be.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Feral having both eyes red is indicative of Malkar being in control.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: He starts out a good kid, even if a bit reckless.
- Would Hurt a Child: As Malkar, he has no problem with killing children and even relishes finally getting to kill Meela.
AvelaAvela is Yuen's mother and a sweet, nurturing individual. As the strongest female in the pack, she married the chief of the time, Terin.
- Bloodless Carnage: For someone who strikes her head on a table edge and dies she does surprisingly little bleeding, if any at all.
- Death by Falling Over: She dies after Korin makes her lose her footing and slam into the edge of the table.
- May–December Romance: She's much younger than Terin, in fact closer to Korin's age than her husband's.
- Posthumous Character: She is long dead by the time of the story proper, having been killed by Korin.
TerinYuen's father. The leader of the clan and a strong, albeit old warrior, he's killed by his nephew, Korin, who then subsequently takes his place as leader.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: The Alpha of a lupian clan is chosen by strength alone. Korin has to cheat to win the title from him.
- May–December Romance: He married Avela, a much younger female lupian.
- Posthumous Character: He is long dead by the time of the story proper, having been killed by Korin.
KorinTerin's nephew and Yuen's uncle, he's a violent and cruel member of Yuen's clan who desires the position of Alpha for himself. A character that shows up multiple times in flashbacks, he causes more problems for the group in the present day than they realize.
- An Arm and a Leg: Meela rips his arm off while attacking him in her demon form.
- Bounty Hunter: After running his own clan into the ground he leaves and becomes one, the same one who killed Tannor.
- Bullying a Dragon: He taunts Meela, whom he knows is a demon lupian, with her brother's death as he prepares to kill her himself. Guess who rips his arm off not much later?
- Never My Fault: Having just killed Yuen's mom, he turns around and blames it on Yuen, rationalizing that she would have agreed to mate with him if the child wasn't around as a reminder of Terin.
- Would Hurt a Child: Tries to kill Yuen in the boy's backstory and tries to Kill Meela.
- Yandere: Shows shades of this towards Avela, wanting to mate with her himself after killing Terin. When she understandably refuses, he becomes furious and accidentally kills her.
JiraJira was Meela's mother, also known as the "blue-eyed devil," a fierce bounty hunter and fighter. Falling in love with one of her marks, Rollin, she settled down and raised a family with him—although she didn't drop her bounty hunting job. One day she leaves on a job and is never seen again.
- Boyish Short Hair: Her hair is short and spiked, which is practical for her job as well as indicative of her harsh personality.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Her relationship with Rollin, where she attacks him ferociously until finally warming up to him.
- In Love with the Mark: After multiple occasions she fell in love with Rollin, seeing how he, despite his trickster antics, never hurt her in order to escape. She marks him as dead and they live alone in secret.
- Missing Mom: She vanishes one day after going after a target and never comes back.