This includes all the side stories, as well as the short story collections.
open/close all folders
Ace of Spades
Still Waters 2.5: The Ace of Spades
From Class 3-A
- Action Girl
- Battle Aura: It's blue, and only shows up when she's using her ki.
- Berserk Button: Hurt Misa, you're dead.
- Famed In-Story: She is well known as a Badass to the extent that she can't go near the fighting clubs without being challenged to a fight on the spot.
- Godzilla Threshold: The only thing that can get Madoka to use her ki at this point in her life is someone about to murder Misa right before her eyes.
- Super Mode: When Madoka goes all out with her ki to the point where she loses control, she stands up straighter and just generally looks "like something out of a dream or a nightmare", becoming strikingly beautiful as opposed to her normal mildly attractive appearance, according to Negi.
- Willfully Weak: She consciously refrains from using her massive ki while fighting because she's afraid she'll lose control like she did in Still Waters 1 (see chapter 18 and up). It helps that in the setting, she is easily capable of taking out any normal fighter without taking advantage of it.
- Badass Boast: In chapter 3, after the Curb-Stomp Battle between Nelle and Madoka: "You have crossed a line. What you did to Madoka, that…"/"If…if something happens, there is nowhere you can run that will be safe. I will never give up. Even if I have to…even if I have to kill the girl, even if I die myself, I swear I will destroy everything." It takes a minute for it to sink in, but the ancient evil artifact actually gets scared of Misa.
- Berserk Button: Don't mess with Madoka.
- In Love with Your Carnage: She shows hints of this in chapter 4 when, in a daze and unable to think clearly due to the severe beating Nelle just gave her, she watches Madoka with her aura blazing away going berserk on Nelle.
- Famed In-Story: She's pretty famous in certain circles, and pretty much everyone who knows about her looks up to her.
- Hot Librarian
- Magic Librarian
- Big Brother Worship: She looks up to her big brother Ruben to a ridiculous extent.
- Blackmail: Almost immediately upon their first meeting, Liliana tries to blackmail Madoka into helping her. Perhaps not surprisingly, Madoka doesn't respond well to the attempt.
- Brainy Brunette: While she's not a genius in class, she is rather intelligent.
- It's All My Fault: Liliana is the one who left the extremely powerful ancient artifact left behind by her brother out in the open, resulting in her friend Nelle getting possessed by it.
- Knife Nut: She is shown several times to have knives hidden about her person.
- Quirky Curls: Her hair is quite curly.
- Younger Than They Look: Madoka, at least, as a third year high school student initially thought Liliana was almost the same age; Liliana is actually a middle school student in Negi's class.
- Grand Theft Me: She suffers this via an evil mask.
- In the Hood: She wears a hoodie at all times in this story.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Friendship version. Up until chapter four, she constantly fights with and snarks at Liliana, but when Sayo tells her Nelle caught Liliana, she flips out.
- I See Dead People: She is shown several times speaking to ghosts, which no one else can see.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Badass Bystander: He's the first one to give Nelle any significant trouble in combat; he even managed to last longer than Madoka did her first time around.
- Heroic Willpower: When he is ordered to attack Madoka, he does his absolute best to fight against the mind control powers of the mask and keep from hurting her for as long as he can until Madoka takes him down and Misa binds him with magic.
- Artifact of Doom
- Blood Knight: It doesn't care about personal squabbles or money or who's in charge of who; it just wants to fight.
- Clingy MacGuffin: Once you put the mask on, you cannot take it off easily.
- Evil Weapon: Not quite a weapon, but it is quite evil and has a mind of its own, and even has its own mental image of itself as a massive man in scaly armor.
- Telepathy: This is how it communicates with other people, since Nelle is mute.
- Shrouded in Myth: He was the former "Ace of Spades", and did a lot of good things for the town eight years before the story; even the ghosts remember him as somebody strong.
For Absent Friends
Still Waters: For Absent Friends
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He is very rough and unpleasant to be around in the modern day, but he honestly cared for his little sister and his old friends, even though he blames them for her death.
- Promotion to Parent: He had to act as a parent for his little sister Rikki.
- Retired Badass
Byron The Water Mage
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Not shown in story, but he is implied to be an extremely powerful mage.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Because he's not as glamorous as Max, Jennifer, Guy, or Arvel even though he used to routinely beat all four of them in spar sessions, the new agents don't respect him enough.
The Queen of Light
Still Waters 2.7: The Queen of Light
Lady Rosalind StrachanChizuru's aunt, the woman who raised her from a child.
- Abusive Parents: She was extremely strict when raising Chizuru, including meting out punishments.
- Aggressive Categorism: She is not fond of the Japanese, calling Ayaka "Half breed rice girl" and Natsumi a "gutter dog", and suspecting the latter of planning to steal her silverware.
- Evil Matriarch: She shows signs of this.
- Heel–Face Door-Slam: She suffers from this in chapter 3.
- The Perfectionist: She is a perfectionist herself, and insists on perfection in Chizuru too.
Sir Alexander StratosThis story marks his first appearance in the series, as well as the first mention of several more of the Great Vampire Lords.
The Queen of Light
How To Fight Zombies
Still Waters 2.7b: How To Fight Zombies
Members of the Church
- Beware the Silly Ones
- Drives Like Crazy: On a Vespa scooter, no less. Antics include jumping the scooter up onto a narrow ledge over a river, using her pactio artifact to leap the thirty feet between ledge and land, and darting at high speeds through narrow alleys, occasionally knocking off a side mirror or two.
- In a Single Bound: A power given Misora by her pactio artifact. She makes great use of it as the story goes on.
- Indy Ploy: Most of her plans are of this nature, bad plans made up on the spot.
- Required Secondary Powers: Misora has an innate sense for body reinforcement magic, which is necessary to keep her bones from being crushed by the force of landing after a long jump.
Bishop Marco Costa
- The Paladin
- Retired Badass: In his earlier days before attaining his current status, he was quite the badass.
CielThe same Ciel from Tsukihime. As punishment for her actions in Japan with the Tohno family, Ciel has been recalled to the Rome, where she is put in charge of a certain nun...
People At The Dorm
Aurelia RussoOne of the receptionists at the dorm. Tends to overwork herself to the point of exhaustion.
Rachele GiordanoOne of the receptionists at the dorm. Enjoys reading romance novels. Made an honest effort to learn Japanese in preparation for Misora's arrival.
Teresa RossiThe manager of the dorm. Drives a Vespa.
NicoThe dorm's head cook.
Nina BianchiThe second student assigned to Ciel, after which she will be headed to the Guardian Agency. Friendly and polite. Misora's roommate, and her first friend in Rome. Tried hard to learn Japanese in preparation for Misora's arrival.
- Barrier Warrior: She uses shield spells for both defense and offense; often shows Stone Wall tendencies.
- The Chick
Isabella LombardiThe third student assigned to Ciel, after which she will be headed to the Special Exorcism Agency. A serious minded girl, she is an old friend of Nina's.
- Deadpan Snarker: She acts like this from time to time.
- Fiery Redhead
- Only Sane Man
- The Smart Guy
- The Strategist: Isabella's primary place in the group, she is famous for her innovative, on-the-fly plans.
MarieNina's best friend. Killed Off for Real several years ago by a vampire.
Tohno AkihaMakes a brief appearance in chapter 2. From Tsukihime
Arcueid BrunestudMakes a brief appearance in chapter 2. From Tsukihime
A Robot's Life
Still Waters 3.01: A Robot's Life
Tanaka Unit 1125
The Professor's RobotsThe Professor created dozens upon dozens of robots in a secret warehouse laboratory, using a three part naming system. The first letter indicates the gender of the robot, the number indicates the model, and the final letter indicates that particular unit's place in that model run. Each unit was hand built, and not all examples of a particular model run were suitable to activate. This list is in order of age, oldest to youngest by build date.
- Heart Drive: It turns out that the 'Emotion Centers' most of them are equipped with actually contain captured souls, which are behind the robot's A.I..
N2BThe oldest surviving unit, it is commonly called "he" in spite of having no gender.
M2AThe second oldest surviving unit, it is male and is one of the most aggressive of the surviving units.
F7DThe oldest surviving female unit, her specialty was material synthesis, and she is the one who provided the synthetic skin that the others use to hide their true nature when it is necessary to go out among the populace for materials or anything else. She has a strong temper. She is the oldest surviving unit that could pass as a human.
FX8-a "Sarah:A highly advanced prototype without an emotion center, the Professor abandoned the project shortly before activation.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Almost the first thing she does upon being activated is destroy the one who activated her because he annoyed her.
- Flawed Prototype: The reason she remained unactivated for so long.
- Hive Queen: for the Drones.
- Implacable Man: Appears to be this...up until her run in with Tanaka unit 1125, who all but wipes the floor with her.
- Psycho Prototype
- Super Prototype: Her abilities are spectacular compared to the others.
DronesSeveral dozen simpler units created to provide backup processing power for FX8-a. They have no will of their own.
- Hive Mind: They function as this for FX8-a, who knows everything they know and can give them orders through their built in network or take control of any individual member.
F9AThe youngest female unit, activated by the others hours before the Professor passed away in an attempt to cheer him up. Her specialty is maintenance; she is the reason the remaining units have functioned for as long as they have.
M9HThe youngest remaining male unit, an error in construction resulted in a blown processor, which greatly restricts what he is capable of doing.
- Finally Found the Body: His body was found by Hakase and Haruna in his bed in Chapter 11, where it had lain for several years.
Characters Appearing In Short Story Collections
Still Waters 3, Book 1: Side Stories
Still Waters 3: Meet The New Class
Still Waters 3: Meet The New Class
Aunt YumekoMako Sylvester's aunt, she taught her how to control her abilities when her parents were unable to.
ChibaA member of the Shinmeiryu in Kyoto who helped Kondo Kai escape from the people pursuing her family.
IkariA cat youkai woman, she is a member of the Shinmeiryu in charge of the unit that Chiba and Mizuhara belong to, and is the one who brought Kondo Kai to Mahora. She is an old acquaintance of Takahata.
"Jackie"The mysterious friend that helped Rosemary Dean get into Mahora, little is known about him, though he is hinted to be Stingy Jack. An old friend of the headmaster.
JirouA hotheaded young man, he enjoys fighting more than is probably necessary. Or healthy. One of his favorite sparring partners is Possum Cade.
- Hot-Blooded: Invoked. Jirou loves the image of the stereotypical hotheaded shounen protagonist and has gone to great trouble to make himself fit the part.