Characters: Still Waters 3 The Old Class
Go back to the Still Waters Series Main Page
Go back to the Still Waters Series character pages
open/close all folders
The main force gathered around Negi Springfield, the members of Ala Alba are those who have stayed closest to Negi through the years. Though the lineup has changed over the years, this group is the center around which Negi's friends and allies move.
The lineup currently (as of Still Waters 3, Book 2) consists of the following members: Asakura Kazumi, Ayase Yue, Aisaka Sayo
, Miyazaki Nodoka, Sakai Reiko, Liliana Rosario, Nelle, and Kamo
, as well as, of course, Negi Springfield
Having found someone to help train her beyond what Negi could manage, she now has a whole arsenal of ghost and magic circle related skills.
Always intelligent, she still holds strong feelings for Negi. But, after a disturbing incident on the dig site in Tibet...
Quiet, intelligent, and devoted to Negi and her friends, she is one of the main pillars of the group, and is present at all planning sessions. She is worried about Yue after the incident in Tibet, however...
Rapidly becoming a successful mangaka, she has a lot on her plate; never so much, however, that she can't help her friends.
Ala Alba Kyoto Branch
The Kyoto Branch of Ala Alba is just that: the members of Ala Alba who went west to Kyoto to train with the Shinmeiryu. They are still a vital part of Ala Alba, though they have their own sub group.
The lineup of the Ala Alba Kyoto Branch currently consists of Kagurazaka Asuna, Konoe Konoka, and Sakurazaki Setsuna.
After graduation, she went to Kyoto with Konoka and Setsuna to continue her training with those more experienced in the facets of combat she is interested in. Now she's back, and guess who has extra space for her to live in?
- Action Girl
- Anti-Magic: Magic Cancel
- Battle Aura
- Big Brother Mentor: Toward Taro in particular and some of the other members of the new class in general.
- Black Swords Are Better: She possesses a very special black-bladed katana with an evil spirit sealed inside.
- The Caretaker: Of Negi; she appoints Nodoka as his caretaker when she goes off to Kyoto after graduation.
- Cool Sword: She carries a black katana in which an evil spirit is sealed, which she received in Still Waters 1.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Demon Slaying
- Evil Weapon
- Fiery Redhead
- Flash Step
- Goofy Print Underwear: A bear...still.
- Idiot Hero
- Implausible Fencing Powers
- Ki Attacks: Having been trained as a member of the Shinmeiryu, she is familiar with using these.
- Lady of War: She's transformed into one of these after her time with the Shinmeiryu.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Magic Knight
- Master Swordsman: She's become this after her time in Kyoto with the Shinmeiryu
- Mental World: Hers is quite odd, with ancient ruins and a stormy ocean.
- Modesty Shorts
- Ms. Fanservice: Often seen in nothing but a towel, accidentally exposing her underwear, or otherwise accidentally trying to drive Negi crazy.
- Mysterious Past
- Never Gets Drunk: She's been shown drinking with friends several times, but stays sober anyway. During her welcome back party in book 1, she's the only one who doesn't get drunk; instead, she drinks everyone else under the table.
- Older Than They Look
- One Woman Army: She is introduced sitting on top of a pile of defeated challengers.
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents are almost certainly dead.
- Person of Mass Destruction: She was dangerous before; now, after receiving training with the Shinmeiryu, she's a monster.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Baron: Upon returning to Mahora and encountering the Delinquents, she quickly gained the title "Red Head Whirlwind".
- She's All Grown Up: This strikes Negi hard when she starts freeloading in his apartment.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Instead of the long twintails she had before.
- Took a Level in Badass: Via the Shinmeiryu.
- Tsundere: She shows occasional signs of this, mostly directed toward Negi.
- Unkempt Beauty
- Yin-Yang Bomb: She can use kanka, and is quite skilled with it at this point.
Took up the sword after an incident in which she was all but powerless to help her Secchan. Skilled and dangerous to those who threaten her friends, she is still one of the kindest souls around.
The Black Wing is a darker version of the core group of Ala Alba, the White Wing. The members of Black Wing are typically involved in more secretive or dangerous enterprises than the core group, from taking jobs for the various magic associations to hunting down dangerous criminal mages. They have only recently regained one of their core members, Inugami Kotarou, who has finally returned from Mundus Magicus, where he has undergone special training for the past two years.
The current lineup of Black Wing is as follows: Inugami Kotarou
, Murakami Natsumi, Naba Chizuru, and Yukihiro Ayaka.
Hired as a manager for Ayaka's newly purchased restaurant, Natsumi has come a long way from the awkward, mousy girl she was back in 2003. But with everyone's return and the sudden reappearance of Kotarou after two years, she's found herself yet again at a loss.
- A-Cup Angst
- Battle Couple: With Kotarou
- Beware the Nice Ones: As Sir Alexander Stratos learned in the story The Queen Of Light.
- Elemental Eye Colors: Ever since the events of The Queen Of Light, her eyes have taken on a silver color; she hides this with colored contacts.
- Glacier Waif
- Healing Factor: This is a side effect of her elemental power.
- In the Hood: Her pactio artifact takes this form.
- Invisibility Cloak: An actual ragged cloak, the result of her pactio with Negi in this alternate timeline. She hates that it makes her invisible. Word of God says he had chosen this artifact for her almost a year before Akamatsu revealed her artifact in the manga.
- Laser Blade: A skill copied from Linda Cale.
- Light 'em Up: Not only is she a light elemental, but she's the Queen of Light, the strongest of them all.
- Magnetic Hero: She is gathering quite a group of her own.
- The Medic: Due to her light-element magic, she is capable of playing this role when necessary, as seen in her story The Queen of Light.
- Mental World: Hers was seen in The Queen of Light, and is really quite pleasant with tall grass and trees and things.
- Mighty Glacier: Her power allows her to deal a lot of damage and heal damage taken, but she hasn't figured out a way for it to make her move faster.
- Nerves of Steel: She's shown this several times during Book 2.
- Nice Girl
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Power Gives You Wings: Of the 'Hard Light' variety, as seen in The Queen Of Light
- Super Mode: As seen in The Queen Of Light She turns into a being of pure energy
- Took a Level in Badass: She is a particularly noteworthy case of this due to the events occuring in the time between Still Waters 1 and Still Waters 3.
- White Magic: As seen in Still Waters 2 and Queen of Light.
- Whip It Good: The result of her second pactio, with Kotarou: dual whips. Naturally, the rest of the old class responded to this in the expected manner.
Joined up with the local magic association and has been doing missions for them since before she graduated high school. As cheerful and enigmatic as ever, she now works the counter at Eva's favorite magic supply shop when not off on a mission.
The daughter of a very rich family, she had a falling out with her mother after her father unexpectedly died several years ago. Now out in the world on her own, she is showing no signs of slowing down.
- Action Girl
- Armed Legs: Part of her pactio, taking the form of a pair of boots.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: She fights with her hands and feet rather than weapons.
- Big Fancy House
- Can't Catch Up: In spite of training for as long as the rest of the class, she is still trailing behind the vast majority of them in several areas.
- Class Representative: Everyone still sees her this way.
- Fiction500: Her family runs a huge company that she will one day inherit, though due to parental disagreements, she is currently on her own. That hasn't slowed her down, however; she currently owns Natsumi's Diner and can afford to live in a fancy apartment.
- Flash Step
- Fragile Speedster: She packs quite a wallop, but compared to the others around her, she looks weak, bumping her out of Lightning Bruiser territory.
- Green Eyes
- In-Series Nickname: Everyone in the old class still calls her "Iincho", or "Class Rep"; even some of the members of the new class, training in Eva's resort, have picked it up.
- Mega Corp.: Her family owns one.
- Non-Idle Rich: She seems to be quite active in business; in addition to that, she goes on regular patrols of Mahora.
- The Ojou
- Power Fist: Part of her pactio, taking the form of a pair of gauntlets.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Spoiled Sweet
- Statuesque Stunner
- Yin-Yang Bomb: Asuna taught her how to use kanka.
Dekopin Rocket/Dead Man's Hand
Dead Man's Hand is based around the members of the band Dekopin Rocket, started by Kakizaki Misa, Kugimiya Madoka, and Shiina Sakurako back in middle school. They picked up Izumi Ako, and over the past six years have become extremely popular in Mahora. Nevertheless, all four girls remain loyal friends of Negi and the rest of Ala Alba, to the point of stifling their budding music career to stay in Mahora.
The lineup of Dead Man's Hand currently consists of Izumi Ako, Kakizaki Misa, Kugimiya Madoka, and Shiina Sakurako.
The bassist of Misa's band Dekopin Rocket, she has grown into a quiet beauty.
- Actual Pacifist: Ako has repeatedly refused any combat-related training, no matter how often Madoka offers it. Madoka's afraid it's going to end up being a case of Suicidal Pacifism in the end. As of the Festival arc in Book 2, it's gotten her kidnapped by the Children of Gilgamesh.
- Afraid of Blood
- Blessed with Suck: The ability to absorb power from others seems like a good thing, right? Too bad she's been doing it subconsciously from everybody.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: She is still nervous about others seeing the massive scar on her back.
- The Ingenue
- The Medic: She plays this role when Konoka isn't around.
- Support Party Member
- Willfully Weak: Word of God says Ako is definitely not weak, but she always holds back as much as possible to avoid hurting others.
Eva's favorite pupil and guitarist/singer of Dekopin Rocket, Misa hasn't been idle for the past six years.
Guitarist/Drummer and unofficial bodyguard of the other members of Dekopin Rocket, Madoka's power has grown tremendously from the time she first discovered it in Still Waters 1.
- Action Girl
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Battle Aura: It's shimmery and blue.
- Battle Couple: With Misa
- Big Brother Mentor: She is this to Liliana, the girl she met in the side story "The Ace of Spades".
- Big Fancy House: A "small" present from her mother after her high school graduation, it sits on its own plot of ground with a fair amount of yard space around it. When Kagami is brought there, she is very impressed.
- Blood Knight: She's been steadily moving toward this ever since her first taste of battle in Still Waters 1; with her fight with Lucy in the Intruder arc in Still Waters 3 Book 1, this trope is set permanently in place.
- The Champion: For Misa in particular and Sakurako and Ako in general.
- Fiction500: Her family is revealed to "own Toyota", as Misa puts it, in Chapter 5 of Still Waters 3 Book 1.
- Flash Step
- Glacier Waif
- Hot-Blooded: She shows signs of this, though she normally manages to keep it down to a reasonable level.
- Ki Attacks
- Mask of Power: She still carries the ancient magic mask she acquired in the short story The Ace Of Spades.
- Mighty Glacier: She is one of the hardest hitting characters in the story, and can soak up tons of damage as well.
- Never Bring A Knife To A Fistfight
- Non-Idle Rich: Not only does she play music in a band at night, she also has a part time job at a convenience store and often patrols the town as well.
- One Woman Army
- Secretly Wealthy: She has gone to great pains in the past to hide the fact that her family is filthy stinkin' rich, and doesn't like anyone to mention it.
- Supernatural Martial Arts
- Super Toughness: She's shown this several times.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: As she showed very well in chapter 18 and 19 of Still Waters 1.
Drummer/Guitarist and laziest member of Dekopin Rocket. She loves pranks and lazing around, but is she as dense as she seems...?
The Cerulean Guard is a group based around the elementals Okochi Akira and Max Linell. Originally a part of Ala Alba, Eva suggested they split off with their closest friends to form a new sub group, leading to the group with the highest concentration of magical firepower by far among all of Negi's allies.
The current lineup consists of Akashi Yuuna, Max Linell, Jennifer Minindry
, Okochi Akira, Sasaki Makie, and finally Izumi Ako as an honorary member.
The same crazy Yuuna, only older and a world traveler, just recently returned to Japan.
- Action Girl
- Badass Boast: She is prone to these.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Normally quite silly, she doesn't seem like much of a threat. But, in Book 2, Kobayashi Ayumi found a way to set her off, and it scared her half to death.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Yuuna hasn't changed much in this regard
- Broken Bird: She covers it pretty well, but Word of God says she underwent something terrible during the two years between her high school graduation and her return to Mahora, and is hiding it via her exaggerated behavior.
- Combat Pragmatist: She showed this so, so much during her duel with Eva over who gets to train Possum in Book 2, Chapter 16.
- Cool Big Sis
- Cowboy: Yuuna's pactio(s) give her this look.
- Daddy's Girl: Not as much as she used to be, but the feeling is still there.
- Eccentric Mentor: While she's not quite old enough, the way she behaves when training her first pupil, Possum Cade, certainly makes her look like this.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Like Setsuna, she still wears her sideways ponytail.
- Genki Girl
- Gun Nut
- The Gunslinger
- Improbable Aiming Skills
- In-Series Nickname: She is called Yuuna*Kid, as well as The Morning Star Of The West.
- Jack of All Stats
- Magic Wand: She's had one for years; it has a star shape on the end.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died a long time ago.
- Quick Draw
- Sawed-Off Shotgun: Courtesy of her pactio card.
- Stepford Smiler: Something unpleasant happened after she graduated; she's trying to seem the same as she did when she was younger.
- Trap Master: As shown in Book 2, Chapter 16, she's an expert at using traps to weaken an opponent.
- Walking the Earth: She did this for a while after graduating high school.
- Wall of Weapons: Mana's first thought when she realizes she's unarmed is to find Yuuna and get a weapon from her, and for good reason.
Akira's training has continued under the tutelage of Max, and the two along with Jennifer have grown closer than ever, so close, in fact, that the trio shares an apartment in the city.
Recently returned to Mahora after a failed arranged engagement that never progressed to marriage, she has come back to clear her head and maybe make a new start.
- Arranged Marriage: Narrowly avoided a very bad one.
- Badass Teacher: Looks like she's slowly heading this way, especially with the way she reacted upon hearing her ex-fiance was harassing her students.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: She's still learning, but she's well on her way to becoming one of these.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As she showed with her ex-fiance in Book 1, she is not above throwing a punch when someone deserves it; and, during the festival tournament arc in Book 2, she showed considerable skill in her match with Ayaka.
- Big Brother Instinct: She definitely feels this toward the younger students.
- Book Dumb
- Can't Catch Up: She suffers from this, but mostly because she took a two year break from training after graduation because of her arranged marriage.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Her school days were the best in her life, but she lost them when her mother engaged her to a boy when she graduated high school. Now that the engagement has failed, she's returned to Mahora, desperately trying to recapture what she had before.
- Disappeared Dad: While her mother is mentioned several times, her father is not.
- Fragile Speedster
- Genki Girl: She is growing back into this.
- Girlish Pigtails: She still wears her hair this way sometimes.
- Growing Up Sucks: Makie misses the days where she was in Negi's class, and hates what she let herself become before finally coming back to Mahora.
- Hot Teacher: Hot P.E. teacher.
- I Want Grandkids: This is Makie's mother's motivation for trying to marry her off to Kazuya.
- Nerves of Steel: She is afraid of many things, but that doesn't stop her from doing what needs to be done. She claims that she isn't the brave one, her friends are.
- Nice Girl
- Odd Friendship: With P.E. teacher Max Linell. She may be the person closest to him after Jennifer and Akira.
- Parental Favoritism: She seems to be her mother's favorite child.
- She Is All Grown Up: Makie has changed a lot since graduation.
- Smarter Than You Look
- Stranger in a Familiar Land: Zigzagged; Makie can't go back to her home, so she goes to the next most familiar place: Mahora. Where she feels completely out of place...for a short time before rapidly adjusting to life there once again.
- The Tease: Will do this once in a while.
Upon graduating from high school, Kaede took the Narutaki twins home to complete their ninja training. Now, two years later, the trio has returned to Mahora.
An unofficial group, this secretive sub group consists of Nagase Kaede, Narutaki Fuuka, and Narutaki Fumika.
Returned home after graduation to complete her ninja training, and took the Narutaki twins with her. Now that the time has come to rejoin the group, she is only too happy to return.
She passed her final ninja exam some time ago ahead of her (slightly) older sister Fuuka, allowing her to take on missions.
Recently passed her final ninja exam, allowing her to accompany Kaede and her sister Fumika upon their return to Mahora.
While not an official group like the others, Eva has gathered a select group around her.
This group consists of Chachazero
, Karakuri Chachamaru, Evangeline A. K. Mc Dowell, Rally Wheeler
, and Hakase Satomi, who is responsible for Chachamaru and Rally's maintenance and upgrades.
All around genius and well respected expert on math and robotics, Hakase has made quite a name for herself in the world of science. However, she has chosen to remain in Mahora, and is busily preparing for what the summer of 2009 may bring.
These are the characters who don't fit into any specific group. Though they are all considered members of Ala Alba, they no longer fit into the core group.
This group consists of Hasegawa Chisame, Kasuga Misora, Ku Fei, Tatsumiya Mana, Yotsuba Satsuki, and Zazie Rainyday.
Vastly changed and yet physically identical to the girl she used to be, she seems to be up to her ears in something dark.
- Action Girl: She doesn't seem like it at first glance, but she shows she's worthy of the title during Misora's Arc in Book 1.
- All-Powerful Bystander: After the events of Misora's Arc in Book 1, it's obvious Chisame has at some point received a huge power up, and yet she seems to be actively staying out of every conflict that arises.
- Bad Dreams
- The Chessmaster: She is obviously positioning various characters for something, but just what that is is still unknown at this point.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: She still loves dressing up in costumes, as evidenced by her excellent disguise as Dani Ellesane, Cat Girl From Zephyria, Nya~
- Drowning My Sorrows: She does this from time to time in Hodge's Bar.
- Healing Factor: This can be seen several times throughout Still Waters 3, with references to being cut in half, blown up, and other things, with her even remarking once or twice about how she doesn't want to take the time to regenerate.
- Jack of All Stats
- The Medic: She can play this role, as seen during Misora's arc in Book 1.
- Nerves of Steel: She never stops thinking or lets fear drive her.
- Never Grew Up: For some reason, she looks exactly like she did in the original story, even though six years have passed.
- Older Than They Look: She looks exactly as she did in middle school, and may in fact have been alive for thousands of years by the time of Still Waters 3, judging by her flashbacks. It's...complicated.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Phantom Zone: She has developed the ability to call something she calls a "Reality Marble" into being, which behaves in this manner. It seems to be an advanced form of the virtual world she used in her hacker duel with Chachamaru in the original manga.
- Portal Door: She can open doors to Hodge's Bar at will.
- Renaissance Man: She seems to have acquired a great many unusual skills in the time between SW2 and SW3.
- Resigned to the Call
- Story Breaker Power: She definitely possesses this. Word of God says there's a very good reason she's holding back on it, though.
- Survivor Guilt: She's got a massive case of this.
- Techno Wizard
- Time Stands Still: She displayed the ability to create this effect on a small scale within a spell circle by using Atlantean Magic during Misora's arc in book 1.
- Waif-Fu: She is surprisingly good at this.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: With the events at the end of the Misora arc in Book 1, she's headed toward this if not there already.
Called away to Rome after graduation and then sent on to the magic world, she has had much responsibility thrust upon her in the past few years, and now it appears she is mired in prophecy as well.
- Action Girl
- The Chosen One: A Chosen One.
- Church Militant: She jumps on vampires' faces in the name of the Church.
- Goomba Stomp: This is one of her favorite methods of attack; she is casually mentioned having performed this on an enemy who never knew what hit him by jumping over a building to get at him.
- Heterosexual Life Partner: With Cocone.
- Hit-and-Run Tactics: Her artifact specializes in this style of combat, but is good enough with body reinforcement spells to slug it out as well.
- Improvised Weapon: She is a master at using these, even going so far as to kill a ghoul with nothing but a pencil.
- In a Single Bound: This is her pactio artifact's ability.
- In Harm's Way: She seems to be moving toward this.
- Lightning Bruiser: Not only is she incredibly fast, but at the end of her arc in book 1, she survived a very powerful vampire's favorite attack, which consisted of petrifying a huge area and then shattering, pelting any survivors of the petrification with millions of razor-sharp stone shards. She then killed him.
- Living Legend: She is considered this among vampires and people who know a lot about them, mostly due to the fact that she pretty much single handedly killed not one but two really quite powerful vampires, both members of an elite vampire-only organization, and lived to talk about it.
- Magnetic Hero: Not as strongly as some others, but she gathered quite a crew in book 1 without even really trying.
- Naughty Nuns
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: After what happens to her in her battle against the Great Vampire Lord Chaser Felix at the end of her arc in Book 1, Chisame muses on how Misora shouldn't have been able to survive such damage.
- Nun Too Holy
- Parental Abandonment: She is an orphan.
- She's Got Legs: It's mentioned several times by other characters that she's got great legs.
- Super Toughness: She's a natural at body reinforcement magic...a good thing too, since it's pretty much required in order for her to not die horribly from the forces at work when one launches themselves through the air at great speeds.
- The Tease: She loves to tease Gilles.
- Walking the Earth: She was doing this in the magic world before and during her arc in Book 1.
Spent time first in China and then traveling the world with Mana after graduation. No one but Mana knows what she's been up to for the past two years or how she got so strong, and Mana isn't telling anyone.
Ever mysterious, she has accompanied Ku Fei on her travels since just after their high school graduation, and has only just returned to Mahora alongside her.
Like most of the others, she hasn't wasted any time after graduation. Now the owner of a chain of restaurants and worth indecent amounts of money, she makes her base of operations in Mahora.
Strange as ever, Zazie never left Mahora, instead preferring to stay in Mahora and wait for the time Negi calls upon her for help.