Characters: Still Waters 3 Teachers And Other Characters
Go back to the Still Waters Series Main Page
Go back to the Still Waters Series character pages
open/close all folders
First seen in the short story The Ace of Spades, Liliana was involved in several events that firmly linked her to Negi's group.
- Action Girl
- Foreign Exchange Student
- Fragile Speedster
- Hidden Weapons: Liliana keeps dozens of knives hidden about her person.
- Knife Nut: her weapon of choice, she wears looped belts holding small throwing knives under her skirt and up her sleeves, and most likely has several bigger knives hidden about her person. She's a veteran fighter with a lot of experience by the time Still Waters 3 rolls around, and won't trust herself to a single knife.
- Parental Abandonment: She and her two brothers are orphans.
A mysterious American girl easily recognizable by her haggard appearance and general sense of danger when she's holding a gardening tool. She fled to Mahora with her catatonic sister in tow several years ago; Negi's group helped her make a place of her own. But what caused her to flee her home in the first place, and why?
Maple's catatonic sister, she doesn't speak, rarely moves, and can often be seen gazing off into the far distance, eyes unfocused; but this is not her natural state.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Empty Shell: She barely reacts to anything, to the extent that her sister Maple has to feed her, dress her, and do anything else that needs to be done. She will occasionally react to music or someone talking to her, but only by turning her head toward the source of sound.
- Ill Girl: Not only is she catatonic and requires constant care, but her body is also slowly weakening and losing weight.
- Mind Rape: Word of God says this is what happened to her.
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents are dead.
An orphaned Brazilian girl with horrible scarring across her neck, leaving her unable to speak. A high school student, she spends most of her free time in the library. First seen in the short story The Ace of Spades.
A sarcastic and irritating high school girl who works as Mahora's best-known exorcist. Born with a weak body, she can get away with a lot more than most other people, and is fully capable of taking advantage of the fact. First seen in the short story The Ace of Spades.
- Body Horror: The inevitable result of the infection she got in Book 1.
- Brilliant but Lazy: She is very intelligent, an expert exorcist, and has a magic circle for every situation, but she can't be bothered to get the power turned on for her house.
- Collector of the Strange: As seen in book 1, her house is full of bizarre and macabre items.
- Cool House: It looks like a run down house on the outside, but on the inside she has magic circles providing power for appliances, a whole floor dedicated to dangerous artifacts, and even a captured devil working as a butler.
- The Corruption: The infection she got from Carrick in Book 1 is this, slowly turning her into a ghoul in spite of what anyone tries to do.
- Crazy-Prepared: She is prepared to do an exorcism at any time, and is shown to carry magic artifacts to school in her pocket.
- Disabled Snarker: Though not quite disabled, her body is very weak. She knows the effect this knowledge has on others, and gleefully acts like a jerk whenever she feels like pushing someone.
- Energy Absorption: She uses energy-absorbing magic circles to power appliances in her house.
- Fragile Speedster
- Handicapped Badass: By the end of book 1 she can barely manage to hobble around on a cane, and yet she still manages to orchestrate the capture of Jonus Hart, a powerful vampire centuries older than Eva, and even seals his soul in a cheap perfume bottle.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With the ghost girl Aisaka Sayo, though the situation has become a little complicated with Asakura Kazumi's return to Mahora.
- Ill Girl: She is described as having a "weak body" due to being such a powerful medium.
- In a Single Bound: She manages this with the aid of a ki enhancing item.
- I See Dead People
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Magnetic Medium
- Nerves of Steel: From beating up a street thug with a wooden sword and siccing an evil spirit on him to facing down an extremely powerful ghoul single handed to orchestrating the capture of a vampire thought to be capable of holding his own against Eva for a couple minutes, she does it all without a hint of hesitation.
- Parental Abandonment: She lives in her own house, yet her parents are conspicuously not mentioned.
- The Reliable One: She is everyone's first choice as an exorcist.
- Seen It All: From exorcising ghosts and spirits to ghouls and vampires attacking the campus, she is unimpressed.
- Soul Jar: She creates these by stuffing troublesome ghosts or spirits into common, everyday items, such as a tacky brooch or an eraser. At the end of Book 1, she is shown to be able to do this with living people too, by sealing Jonus Hart's soul in a cheap perfume bottle.
- Super Toughness: She pulls this off very temporarily with the help of a ki-enhancing item.
- Weak, but Skilled: In spite of her weak body, she is one of the most skilled exorcists in Japan, and her creativity when using the resources at her disposal has led to such things as using magic collection circles to power her refrigerator, borrowing the strength of a ghost to crush a ghoul's neck, and defeating hardened street thugs single handedly. Not bad for a girl who looks like she belongs in a hospital.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: She carries one around in a sword case, and judging from Chapter 6 of Still Waters 3 Book 1, she knows how to use it.
Kohana, Chihomi, and Shino
Three bullies who torment Student #4 Kobayashi Ayumi during the Darkness arc in Book 2.
- Gonk: She's described as big, fat, and ugly.
- The Bully
- The Leader: Type 2. She keeps Chihomi and Shino in line.
- Dumb Muscle: She is easily the stupidest of the three, and is mostly there to cover for Chihomi's physical weakness.
- The Bully
Teachers and Staff
- Accidental Pervert: One notable example involves Negi, half naked after a shower, walking into a darkened room where he doesn't know Asuna is sleeping. Asuna does not appreciate it, but realizes that Kamo is the one at fault.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: He spent some time as one off-screen in Tibet in the year he took off from teaching at Mahora with Nodoka and Yue.
- Ancestral Weapon: His father's staff.
- Badass Bookworm
- Badass Teacher
- Beam Spam: He can pull this off with hundreds of magic arrows at once.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Big Brother Instinct: While he's officially sixteen by the start of Still Waters 3, thanks to time spent in Eva's resort he's far closer to nineteen, and his protective instincts toward anyone put in his care are legendary.
- Celibate Hero: He is struggling to maintain this status now that he's become a bishounen type in his late teens.
- Chick Magnet
- Cool Sword: He still has the sword he received in Still Waters 1, though he tries to ignore its existence.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Flash Step
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: He seems to suffer from this periodically.
- Hot Teacher: His students certainly seem to think so.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: He is a mix of this and Magic Knight, though he uses martial arts far more than weapons.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Magnetic Hero
- The Messiah: No matter who you are, he'll still give you a chance.
- Mental World: Complete with ancient vaguely greek temples.
- Nice Guy
- Oblivious to Love: Not quite as bad as he used to be, but he still qualifies.
- Papa Wolf: He is this toward any of his students, even those from his first class who have graduated high school and are older than him.
- Parental Abandonment: His mother is almost certainly dead, and his father hasn't been seen in years.
- Person of Mass Destruction: While not as strong as his manga counterpart (this Negi never went to the magic world, after all), the firepower he was throwing around in the Intruder arc of Book 1 was nothing to sneeze at.
- Red-Headed Hero
- Shipper on Deck: He ships several couples.
- Natsumi and Kotarou
- Setsuna and Konoka
- Cyrr and Anya (much to Anya's dismay)
- Shock and Awe
- Spot of Tea: He certainly likes his tea.
- Stepford Smiler: He seems friendly enough, but is often seen to be fighting some serious depression.
- Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious
- Survivor Guilt: He suffers from this when Possum is kidnapped right in front of him, even though she's not necessarily dead.
- Unwanted Harem: He ends up with a new one every time he gets a new class.
- Badass Teacher
- Battle Couple: Actually a trio, with Jennifer and Akira.
- BFS: His pactio weapon with Akira is a huge European-style two-handed sword longer than he is tall.
- Big Brother Instinct: It may not be clear at first glance, but he is incredibly protective of the students.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center
- Combat Pragmatist
- Covered with Scars
- Face of a Thug
- Fireballs: One of his magic related skills.
- Flaming Sword: He can create a sword out of fire magic as seen in Still Waters 1; this is one of his lesser-used skills simply because of the rarity of situations in which it has a viable use.
- Flash Step
- Gray Eyes
- Guttural Growler
- Hidden Depths
- Magic Knight
- Magnetic Girlfriend: With Akira attaching herself to him and Jennifer, he's much more palatable to other female characters; by the time Still Waters 3 rolls around, he's had a handful of pactios, after all.
- Magnetic Hero: Not nearly as strongly as Negi, but, like several others, he has his own small group forming around him and Akira.
- Memetic Badass: In-universe. He is unquestionably badass, but his size, his looks, and the stories about what he's done since arriving in Mahora six years ago have raised his reputation as a badass to a ridiculous extent.
- Mighty Glacier
- The Nicknamer: He has given quite a few of his students nicknames. Possum Cade is "Whiskey", Sato Gin is "Silver", Sophie Rivers is "Sparrow...
- Odd Friendship: With Makie. Seemingly complete opposites in every way, they've gotten along almost from the beginning. Makie is, in fact, the one he's closest to after Jennifer and Akira.
- One-Man Army
- Papa Wolf: He is this toward his students, but he will back off and let Negi take care of it out of respect if he knows Negi's nearby.
- Parental Abandonment: He hasn't had any parents for as long as he can remember.
- Person of Mass Destruction: He is a very powerful fire elemental, after all.
- Playing with Fire: His Elemental ability.
- Rogue Agent: This is his official status with the American Division, due to his actions during Still Waters 1.
- Stern Teacher: A single glare will scare most students into obedience, but he doesn't punish those who don't deserve it.
- The Stoic: He has changed into this during the time between Still Waters 2 and Still Waters 3.
- Veteran Instructor: He's teaching a team of girls how to use their abilities to fight and stay alive.
- Wall of Weapons: He has a lot of swords.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: When on the job, he carries "The Symbol of P.E. Teacher Authority" a.k.a. a large, heavy, wood sword. It's mostly just a prop to go along with his Stern Teacher reputation, but he lets Makie carry it from time to time, thereby transferring some of his fearsome reputation to her.
Characters With Connections To The Main Cast
Often seen in Eva's cabin, she seems to enjoy hanging around with Kamo.
After disappearing two years ago without saying goodbye to Natsumi or anyone else, he has now returned, looking older than he should and with his own secrets to hide.
Kagami's Playdoh Cat
- Familiar: Created by Misa in Still Waters 2, belongs to Kagami.
- Killer Rabbit: It may look like an adorable little playdoh cat, but it eats living creatures to absorb their power, and can increase in size to a ridiculous degree.
- Mega Neko: It pulls this off in a major way in the short story collection for Still Waters 3, Book 1.
Makie's ex-fiance, he came to Mahora in an attempt to get her back.
Relatives of the Cast
For Kagami's brother, see the Yakuza section of Still Waters 3 Organizations
The Cade Family
New student Possum Cade's big sister, she has recently come to Mahora to be with her little sister.
The Kakizaki Family
Misa's big sister, she visited Mahora during the festival to track down her little sister and find out the truth about this 'Madoka' person... She first appears in Chapter 6 of Still Waters 3 Book 2.
- The Ace: She has a habit of rapidly outpacing those around her; students, teachers, college professors, she surpasses them all in a relatively short time with little trouble.
- Action Girl
- Aloof Big Brother: She behaves in this manner most of the time, mostly to hide her Big Brother Instinct.
- Awesome by Analysis
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Big Brother Bully: Misa certainly sees her this way.
- Big Brother Instinct: She has a heavy case of this, and though she does her best to hide it it starts to show through at the end of chapter 6 of Still Waters 3 book 2.
- Big Fancy House: The whole Kakizaki family lives in one in Hokkaido.
- Cool Car: She shows up in Mahora in a beautifully restored 1969 Camaro Z/28, and is hinted to have several other cars of a similar vintage at home.
- Disappeared Dad: While her mother and half-sister are mentioned, her father is not.
- Fiction500: The Kakizaki family is quite wealthy.
- Fragile Speedster
- Hidden Heart of Gold: In spite of the way she treats her sister and her generally dismissive way of dealing with anyone who would be a rival or opponent, she really cares deeply for Misa and just wants what's best for her.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Hatsune is, to put it bluntly, a genius; she has trouble relating to other people because they just can't keep up with her.
- Lady of War
- Non-Idle Rich: She seems to always be busy with something new.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Renaissance Man: Hatsune is the sort of genius who picks up new skills with remarkable speed, allowing her to quickly outstrip the abilities of anyone who would teach her, from martial arts masters to teachers; by the time Still Waters 3 takes place, she is only twenty nine, but has mastered dozens of styles of martial arts, and there is no telling what else she is able to do.
- Statuesque Stunner: Sato Gin, considered abnormally tall for a girl at 5'8", observes repeatedly that Hatsune is tall.
The Stride Family
Student # 16 Kara Stride's mother.
- Charm Person: This is a built-in family ability.
- Magic Music: When she plays a musical instrument such as the violin or especially the electric guitar, the music has magical effects depending on how it's played.
- Musical Assassin: Alyssa Stride's music magic seems to focus pretty much completely on attacks.
- The Power of Rock: Her guitar solo saved the day.
Kara's little sister.
Ghosts, Spirits, and Other Supernatural Beings
HARU is Endo Haru's inner youkai, always waiting for Haru to slip up so she can take control.
Reiko has enslaved a number of ghosts, spirits, and other things through the years.
A relatively friendly ghost, in life he was a trader from Great Britain who met his end in Japan over a hundred years before the events of Still Waters 3. In death, he haunted the place of his death until Reiko exorcised him, sealing him into the nearest convenient object: a tacky tin brooch. As he is on good terms with Reiko in spite of the exorcism, he allows her to borrow his power whenever she needs it.
- Defeat Means Friendship: He is friendly enough to Reiko to lend her his power even though she is the one who sealed him.
- Deflector Shields: When required, he can produce a barrier powerful enough to stop magically enhanced bullets.
A rather unpleasant appearing devil, Reiko captured him and sealed him in a glass beer bottle, from which he took his name. His bottle fell off a shelf and broke in Book 1, releasing him.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: He changes into something that looks a lot like a dog in order to let Akira, Taro, and Kagami relax while he talks to them in Reiko's house.
- Battle Butler: He performs this role in Sakai Reiko's house.
- Defeat Means Friendship: He was defeated by Reiko; now he guards her house.
- Faceless Eye: He has one eye, set in his upper torso.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Three fingered hands.
- Heel-Face Turn: He initially came to Earth in order to follow orders to murder someone, but Reiko defeated him at some point before the beginning of Still Waters 3. Now, he is quite friendly and calls her 'sister'.
- Hellish Pupils: He has cross shaped pupils.
- Humanoid Abomination: No head, one freakish eye in his torso, no mouth, a hairy, apelike body...
- Monster Roommate: He's an enslaved devil caught by Reiko; he's also basically her housekeeper.
- No Mouth
- Telepathy: This is the only way he can communicate.
A tremendously strong man in life, he grew angry in death, behaving more like a poltergeist than a normal ghost until Reiko exorcised him, sealing him into a large pink eraser she had in her pocket at the time. Calling on his power is dangerous, as he is very hotheaded.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Or maybe more like "grudging respect", based on his personality.
- Super Strength: Calling on Tetsuo provides a brief burst of strength, enough for someone as weak as Reiko to crush a ghoul's neck.
An unsavory character with a bone to pick with Mana and Ku Fei.
One of Mahora's homegrown crazies, he is famous for his occasional attempts at making trouble for the city, as well as his sugar golems.
- Achilles' Heel: His sugar golems are weak against water; a kid with a garden hose stands a good chance against one.
- Golem: He has a small army of sugar golems.
- Harmless Villain
- Large Ham: He enjoys really hamming up his actions as a villain.