Characters: Star Wars
aka: The Phantom Menace
All spoilers regarding the Prequel Trilogy, the Original Trilogy, and The Clone Wars are unmarked. Examples relating to Disney's EU and the new movies can be spoiler-tagged if deemed necessary.
Characters in the Star Wars franchise and its new Expanded Universe are sorted according to their main allegiance within the canon films, animated series, novels, short stories, video games, and comics. All canon appearances of these characters will be listed at the top of their profile.For the characters based on their appearances in Star Wars Legends see here. See here for other characters page from old EU.
- Rebel Alliancenote
- Rebel Cellsnote
- Galactic Empirenote
- The Jedi Ordernote
- The Galactic Republicnote
- Clone Troopersnote
- Separatist Alliancenote
- Trade Federationnote
- Bounty Huntersnote
- Planets and Racesnote
- Other Force Users and Beingsnote
open/close all folders
Characters Introduced In The Force Awakens
Portrayed by: John Boyega
- Aerith and Bob: Continues the proud Star Wars tradition of mixing real-sounding names with Space Opera ones. We've got Rey, Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron, and Finn.
- Heel-Face Turn: He ditches the First Order early on.
- Jump Scare: In the trailer, a still shot of the Jakku desert is interrupted by him popping up in shock.
- Overly-Nervous Flop Sweat: Several scenes show him sweating profusely.
Portrayed by: Daisy Ridley
- Cool Car: Her speeder counts as a futuristic variant.
- Gender-Blender Name: Rey is a name befitting to a Tomboy.
- Internal Homage: Like Anakin and Luke before her, Rey is a major character living a hard-scrabble life on a desert planet.
- Simple Staff: She is seen wielding one in the second teaser.
- Shout-Out: The character's production name, "Kira", was a nod to Akira Kurosawa, a major influence on the movies. "Rey" is likewise a nod to the longtime publisher of Star Wars books, Del Rey.
Portrayed by: Oscar Isaac
- Ace Pilot: He is described as the best pilot in the Galaxy by Oscar Isaac.
- Bilingual Bonus: The lettering on his vest reads "Pull to Inflate."
- Cool Starship: Pilots one of the quintessential examples, an X-wing.
- La Résistance: His uniform and X-wing mark him as a member of the Resistance.
- Wing Man: He flies with several.
Portrayed by: ???note
- Black Cloak: He wears one that appears to be a bit tattered and torn.
- Cool Sword: An unstable lightsaber that is distinguished by its crossguards, refereed as the "Junk Lightsaber".
- An earlier version of said lightsaber was a more traditional single beam one with a Wampa claw hilt◊.
- Darth Vader Clone: Concept art and early molds of Ren's action figure make it appear as though he's trying to model himself after Darth Vader in some fashion, complete with a mask. However, it does not seem likely that he needs the mask to live.
- The Heavy: Shots from the second teaser show him leading Stormtropers. Promotion materials make him out the major force of evil in the film, but not the ultimate; again, much like Vader himself.
- Malevolent Masked Men: A leaked image◊ shows that he wears a mask similar in appearance to the one worn by Darth Revan. Another bit of concept art has a mask similar in appearance to both Darth Vader and Darth Malgus (which was supported by a leak of an early mold of what is presumably his action figure◊).
- Obviously Evil: Cloaked in black, masked, skulking about, and wielding a red lightsaber, it's not subtle at all that he's a bad guy.