All spoilers regarding the Prequel Trilogy, the Original Trilogy, and The Clone Wars are unmarked. Examples relating to Disney's EU and the new movies can be spoiler-tagged if deemed necessary.
Characters in the Star Wars franchise and its new Expanded Universe are sorted according to their main allegiance within the canon films, animated series, novels, short stories, video games, and comics. All canon appearances of these characters will be listed at the top of their profile.For the characters based on their appearances in Star Wars Legends see here. See here for other characters page from old EU.
- Rebel Alliancenote
- Rebel Heroesnote
- Rebel Cellsnote
- Galactic Empirenote
- The Jedi Ordernote
- The Jedi Councilnote
- The Galactic Republicnote
- Clone Troopersnote
- Separatist Alliancenote
- Trade Federationnote
- Bounty Huntersnote
- Planets and Racesnote
- Other Force Users and Beingsnote
Characters Introduced In The Force Awakens
- Aerith and Bob: Continues the proud Star Wars tradition of mixing real-sounding names with Space Opera ones. We've got Rey, Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron, and Finn.
- Jump Scare: In the trailer, a still shot of the Tatooine desert is interrupted by him popping up in shock.
- Overly-Nervous Flop Sweat: The trailer shot shows him sweating profusely.
- Cool Car: Her speeder counts as a futuristic variant.
- Gender-Blender Name: Rey is a name befitting to a Tomboy.
- Internal Homage: Like Anakin and Luke before her, Rey is a major character living a hard-scrabble life on Tatooine.
- Shout-Out: The character's production name, "Kira", was a nod to Akira Kurosawa, a major influence on the movies. "Rey" is likewise a nod to the longtime publisher of Star Wars books, Del Rey.
- Black Cloak: He wears one that appears to be a bit tattered and torn.
- Cool Sword: An unstable lightsaber that is distinguished by its crossguards.
- Darth Vader Clone: Concept art and early molds of Ren's action figure make it appear as though he's trying to model himself after Darth Vader in some fashion, complete with a mask. However, it does not seem likely that he needs the mask to live.
- Malevolent Masked Men: A leaked image◊ shows that he wears a mask similar in appearance to the one worn by Darth Revan. Another bit of concept art has a mask similar in appearance to both Darth Vader and Darth Malgus (which was supported by a leak of an early mold of what is presumably his action figure◊).
- Obviously Evil: Cloaked in black, skulking about, and wielding a red lightsaber, it's not subtle at all that he's a bad guy.