Characters: Star Wars
aka: Revenge Of The Sith
All spoilers regarding the Prequel Trilogy, the Original Trilogy, and The Clone Wars are unmarked. Examples relating to Disney's EU and the new movies can be spoiler-tagged if deemed necessary.
Characters in the Star Wars franchise and its new Expanded Universe are sorted according to their main allegiance within the canon films, animated series, novels, short stories, video games, and comics. All canon appearances of these characters will be listed at the top of their profile.For the characters introduced in the movies that are also prominently included in Star Wars Legends, see here. For information on characters that exclusively appeared or debuted in the Legends setting, go here.
- Rebel Alliancenote
- Rebel Cellsnote
- Galactic Empirenote
- The Jedi Ordernote
- The Galactic Republicnote
- Separatist Alliancenote
- Trade Federationnote
- Bounty Huntersnote
- Planets and Racesnote
- Other Force Users and Beingsnote
open/close all folders
Characters Introduced In The Force Awakens
Portrayed by: John Boyega
- Aerith and Bob: Continues the proud Star Wars tradition of mixing real-sounding names with Space Opera ones. We've got Rey, Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron, and Finn.
- Bloody Handprint: Has one on his Stormtroopers helmet during the second trailer.
- Heel-Face Turn: He ditches the First Order early on.
- Jump Scare: In the trailer, a still shot of the Jakku desert is interrupted by him popping up in shock.
- Mook: He was a Stormtrooper for a while.
- Overly Nervous Flop Sweat: Several scenes show him sweating profusely.
Portrayed by: Daisy Ridley
- Action Girl: Rey utilizes her staff as a weapon in a style similar to the real-world martial art of bōjutsu.
- Cool Car: Her speeder counts as a futuristic variant.
- Gender-Blender Name: Rey is a name befitting to a woman who has masculine traits.
- Internal Homage: Like Anakin and Luke before her, Rey is a major character living a hard-scrabble life on a desert planet.
- Simple Staff: She is seen wielding one in the second teaser.
- Shout-Out: The character's production name, "Kira", was a nod to Akira Kurosawa, a major influence on the movies. "Rey" is likewise a nod to the longtime publisher of Star Wars books, Del Rey.
Portrayed by: Oscar Isaac
- Ace Pilot: He is described as the best pilot in the Galaxy by Oscar Isaac.
- Bilingual Bonus: The (upside-down) lettering on his vest reads "Pull to Inflate."
- Cool Starship: Pilots one of the quintessential examples, an X-wing.
- La Résistance: His uniform and X-wing mark him as a member of the Resistance.
- Wing Man: He flies with several.
Portrayed by: Adam Driver
- Black Cloak: He wears one that appears to be a bit tattered and torn.
- Cool Sword: An unstable lightsaber that is distinguished by its crossguards, refereed as the "Junk Lightsaber".
- An earlier version of said lightsaber was a more traditional single beam one with a Wampa claw hilt◊.
- Darth Vader Clone: Concept art and early molds of Ren's action figure make it appear as though he's trying to model himself after Darth Vader in some fashion, complete with a mask. New images show that he has a perfectly normal human face under the mask, meaning that unlike Vader, he doesn't need it to live.
- The Heavy: Shots from the second teaser show him leading Stormtroopers. Promotion materials make him out the major force of evil in the film, but not the ultimate; again, much like Vader himself.
- Large and In Charge: Is played by the 6'4 ft tall Adam Driver.
- Malevolent Masked Men: A leaked image◊ shows that he wears a mask similar in appearance to the one worn by Darth Revan. Another bit of concept art has a mask similar in appearance to both Darth Vader and Darth Malgus (which was supported by a leak of an early mold of what is presumably his action figure◊).
- Mythology Gag: Possibly. His name is very similar to a Villain of the Week from the old Droids cartoon, who was named Kybo Ren.
- Obviously Evil: Cloaked in black, masked, skulking about, and wielding a red lightsaber, it's not subtle at all that he's a bad guy.
- Tom the Dark Lord: In a series with villains named Darth Sidious, Count Dooku, and General Grevious, Kylo Ren is almost quaint.
Portrayed by: Gwendoline Christie
- Badass Cape: A real nice black one with red trim.
- Chrome Champion: Well, she has chrome armor and she is a cut above the regular stormtroopers.
- Large and In Charge: Is played by the 6'3" Gwendoline Christie and appears to be of elite status to boot.
- Mook Lieutenant: She is a stormtrooper officer after all - but it remains to be seen if she averts this.
Portrayed by: Lupita Nyong'o
Supreme Leader Snoke
Portrayed by: Andy Serkis
- Big Bad: As the Supreme Leader of the First Order, he is bound to be the primary antagonist of the Sequel Trilogy - although The Force Awakens places a much larger amount of focus on Kylo Ren.
- The Emperor: The Supreme Leader designation suggests he holds this position in the First Order.
- Evil Sorcerer/Sorcerous Overlord: The "Awakening" speech implies he is a Force-user.
- Evil Sounds Deep: His voice is heard in the first teaser.
- Meaningful Name: Snoke is an Americanized form of Dutch Snoek, a nickname meaning ‘pike’, a type of carnivorous fish.
- Serkis Folk: Unsurprisingly, given that the Trope Namer often is cast in these kinds of roles.
- Token Non-Human: The infamously speciesist Empire/First Order has a non-human at its reigns.
- Tom the Dark Lord: Snoke is a pretty innocuous name for the Supreme Leader of the First Order.
- Subverted; see Meaningful Name above.