open/close all folders
Carmen CortezDaughter of Gregorio and Ingrid Cortez, Carmen starts of as Troubled, but Cute, seeing her family life as dull, hating her brother Juni, and bunked off school. That is until she learns her parents are professional spies, and teams up with Juni to rescue them. Over the films, she becomes a strong-hearted, intelligent and awesome Action Girl Teen Superspy, forming a strong Brother-Sister Team with Juni.
Played by: Alexa Vega, Addisyn Fair (infant)
- Action Girl: She's more than willing to punch out the boy she has a crush on to protect her brother.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Her relationship with Gary Giggles.
- Alliterative Name: Carmen Cortez.
- Aloof Big Sister: She was initially this to Juni. However, after spending time bonding with him and witnessing their uncle's similar behavior, she was upgraded to a Cool Big Sis / Big Sister Bully.
- Badass Family: Carmen considers family to be the greatest gift in life.
- The Hero: Shared with Juni, although she becomes The Lancer in the third film.
- I Can Change My Beloved: Carmen believes she can stop Gary Giggles acting like a jerk. Ironically, she gives up trying and the rejection seems to help Gary change.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Carmen uses this repeatedly in the films with "shi-ttake mushrooms". The only exception is the third film.
- Ms. Fanservice: The music video at the end of the second film has her in a skimpy top that exposes a good deal of her stomach performing a sexy belly dance or something along that line. Most of it consists of her swaying and thrusting her hips in a seductive manner.
- It's more exposed with the outfit she wears for the dinner in the same movie, or perhaps we just see it better.
- Overly Long Name: Her full name is Carmen Elizabeth Juanita de Costa Echo Sky Brava Cortez.
- Passing the Torch: To her step-cousins in the fourth film.
- Potty Emergency: Her embarrassing secret in the first film is that she still needs diapers.
- Reluctant Retiree: Subverted in the fourth film. She still works for the OSS but retired from the Spy Kids division when it was shut down.
- Teen Superspy: Named as the best member of the Spy Kids.
- Troubled, but Cute: Only in the first film, where she skipped school to travel to distant places.
Juni CortezCarmen's younger brother and the shared main protagonist. Initially a bullied child and hiding in his fantasies, Juni matures and uses his intelligence to become a superb Teen Superspy. He forms a strong bond with Carmen in a Brother-Sister Team. He quit the OSS in the second film to become a Private Detective, but rejoins in the third film.
Played by: Daryl Sabara
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Carmen originally viewed him as this.
- Anti-Hero: Type II in the fourth film.
- Awesome McCoolname: Juni Rocket Racer Rebel Cortez.
- I Work Alone: In the first part of the third film and the fourth film, though in the latter, he admits it didn't quite work out as he'd hoped.
- Overly Long Name: His full name is Juni Rocket Racer Rebel Cortez.
- Private Detective: Juni becomes this in the second film and tries to keep it up for the third film.
- Shout-Out: His middle names are Robert Rodriguez' sons' names.
- Teen Superspy: Considered the best spy in the world by the fourth film.
Gregorio CortezCarmen and Juni's dad, Ingrid's husband and younger brother to Machete, Gregorio starts off as a Reluctant Retiree but returns to his badass ways when his children become spies.
Played by: Antonio Banderas
- Annoying Younger Sibling: It's possible that, like how Carmen viewed Juni, this was how his older brother saw him, even in their adulthood.
- The Atoner: Gregorio hid the Third Brain to prevent the hard work of the OSS from going to waste.
- Badass Mustache: Even though it's fake.
- Bumbling Dad: Pretends to be this after retiring.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Implied to be.
- Heroic Sacrifice: When it looked like Donagan was going to kill Ingrid's parents, he jumped out in front of them to save them. Donagan failed, thanks to his daughter, but this act was enough to get Gregorio's mother-in-law's attention.
- Mad Scientist: Appears as one in the third film where he is shown replicating the Third Brain. Taken Up to Eleven in the fourth film where a dozen replicas are seen.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Ingrid and their wedding was nearly crashed by their opposing organizations.
Ingrid CortezGregorio's wife and Carmen and Juni's mother. A badass in her own right, Ingrid cares strongly for her family and will defend them with her life.
Played by: Carla Gugino
- Expy: Her backstory is similar to that of Mrs. Smith...as well as her husband being that of Mr. Smith.
- Happily Married: Despite being initially sent on a mission to kill her future husband (and vice versa), they eventually get married.
- Parents in Distress: She, along with her husband, are captured in the beginning.
- Reluctant Retiree: Not as much as Gregorio. Heck, she's the one who convinces him to rejoin the OSS.
Isador "Machete" CortezGregorio's older brother who stopped speaking to his brother years ago. He is a skilled inventor, having created countless gadgets for the OSS. Upon meeting Carmen and Juni, Machete agrees to reunite with his brother and becomes the Gadgeteer Genius for the kids.
Played by: Danny Trejo
- Aloof Big Brother: He refused to help out his younger brother, especially since his niece and nephew were left without their parents. However, he does grow out of this behavior at the climax.
- Defrosting Ice King: He was kind of distant and cold to his niece and nephew, but he does warm up to them a little. After the Anti-Climax, he reconciles with Gregorio.
- Hero of Another Story: Of Machete. According to Danny Trejo; "Machete Cortez in Machete is what Machete Cortez in Spy Kids does when he's not taking care of the kids."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He initially refused to help save his brother and sister-in-law, but he was kind enough to let Carmen and Juni stay for the night.
Grandpa Valentin AvellanIngrid's father and the beloved grandfather of Carmen and Juni. He and the Toymaker were once friends until an incident caused by the Toymaker led to Valentin's confinement to a wheelchair. Now a Handicapped Badass, Valentin offers comforting but blunt advice to his family. He plays a major role in Spy Kids 3D when an opportunity to reunite with the Toymaker presents itself.
Played by: Ricardo Montalban
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Subverted in the third film, where shortly after being introduced with a new mech body, he goes off after a butterfly....but the butterfly was more important than it first appeared.
- Badass Grandpa: Especially in the third movie when he's able to run around in a giant mecha body.
- Dashing Hispanic: Well, he is played by Ricardo Montalban.
- Disability Superpower: He is very intelligent and strong for his age thanks to his disability. Subverted in the third film when Juni summons him to the virtual world and gives him a robotic body to walk.
- Forgiveness: Valentin personally releases the Toymaker to forgive him in the third film.
- Happily Married: To his wife, Helga.
- Revenge: Carmen and the Toymaker worried that he only wanted revenge on the Toymaker for costing him his legs. Subverted. He has never forgotten what the Toymaker did to him, but he is quick to forgive him and offer him a second chance.
- Spock Speak: Does this particularly when confronting the Toymaker.
- Super Wheelchair: His wheelchair doubles as an aircraft.
Grandma Helga AvellanIngrid's mother. She has an issue with Gregorio, considering him a bad influence on her daughter.
Played by: Holland Taylor
- Happily Married: With her husband, Valentin.
- Never Mess with Granny: She was a former spy, has a jetpack hidden under her clothes and helps fight giant robots in the third film.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Backseat driving her son-in-law is just one of the ways she irritates him. She softens up a bit after his would-be Heroic Sacrifice.
Felix GummWhile not an actual member of the Cortez family, he is considered one and treated like an uncle. Carmen and Juni refer to him as "Uncle Felix" since he pretended to be their uncle, leading to a Running Gag where he reminds him of the truth.
Played by: Cheech Marin
- Face–Heel Turn: Forced to betray the Cortezes by Donnegan to be spared from death. He survives, is forgiven and rejoins the family.
- Honorary Uncle: Their real uncle is Machete.
- Running Gag: Felix continuously reminds Carmen and Juni he is not their uncle. This is thrown out the window when he claims he is their uncle when called to help in the third film finale.
- Secret Keeper: Protected Gregorio and Ingrid's secret from their children until he was forced to tell them.
Marissa Cortez-WilsonCarmen and Juni's aunt and Gregorio's sister. Introduced in the fourth film, Marissa retires as a spy after giving birth to a daughter Maria. Living with her husband Wilbur, Maria, and step-children Rebecca and Cecil. The return of the evil Timekeeper/Tick-Tock forces Marissa back into action, taking Maria with her, and soon Rebecca and Cecil become involved in the OSS.
Played by: Jessica Alba
- Action-Hero Babysitter: Takes Maria on her missions.
- Pregnant Badass: Takes on Tick-Tock's minions whilst having contractions.
- Wicked Stepmother: Rebecca views her as this.
Rebecca WilsonThe female lead of the franchise by the fourth film, Rebecca is a mischievous prankster but is very bright and loyal to her family.
Played by: Rowan Blanchard
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Acts like this to Marissa. This eventually disappears when Marissa gives Rebecca one of her birth mother's possessions.
- Missing Mom: Her mother is said to have passed on sometime before the events of the movie.
Cecil WilsonRebecca's brother. A quiet boy, Cecil is thrilled upon finding Marissa is a spy and is very enthusiastic about becoming a spy himself.
Played by: Mason Cook
- Handicapped Badass: He's hearing-impaired and has spy gadgets built into his hearing aids.
- Megaton Punch: The gadget he becomes attached to can increase his strength.
Maria WilsonMarissa's young daughter who becomes a third Spy Kid following Rebecca and Cecil, even though she's a baby. Also nicknamed Spy Baby.
Played by: Unknown
Wilbur WilsonMarissa's husband and father of Rebecca and Cecil. He is an Intrepid Reporter who is investigating the existence of spies in the world, unaware virtually every member of his family is a spy.
Played by: Joel McHale
- Secret Keeper: Becomes this when he finds Marissa's secret, forcing him to destroy a recording of his wife in action to save her, but is fired as a result.
Fegan FloopPresenter of "Floop's Fooglies", Floop is an imaginative inventor whose only goal is to be the greatest kids' television host ever. Unfortunately, his technology has got him involved in the wrong crowd. Uninterested in the evil schemes his clients have, Floop wishes to bring fun and happiness to children.
Played by: Alan Cumming
- Affably Evil: So much so that eventually he crosses the line into a good character; what he really wants is to entertain children with his show.
- Alliterative Name: Fegan Floop.
- Badass Longcoat: Part of his outfit, a rather colorful one.
- Baleful Polymorph: Pulls this on his prisoners to put them in his show.
- Big Fancy Castle: Shaped like a giant boot.
- Depraved Kids' Show Host: Granted his characters are in fact kidnapped and mutated secret agents, but apart from that, Floop is completely harmless and just wants to entertain children.
- Disc One Final Boss: Is set up as the Big Bad, but is removed from that position just as the film is reaching its third act.
- Disney Acid Sequence: His musical numbers, although they are recorded in his virtual room.
- Evil Genius: Well, not exactly evil...
- Gadgeteer Genius: Invented robots called "Thumb Thumbs", because they look like walking thumbs.
- Heel–Face Turn: Thanks to Juni.
- Villain Song: "Dream My Dream" - Although it is actually a promotional song for his show.
Alexander MinionAssistant to Floop, Minion seems to be the obedient and loyal servant any well-intentioned megalomaniac hopes for. Actually a former scientist in the OSS who helped make the Third Brain. He overthrows Floop with the intention on using the brain to power his evil army of robotic children.
Played by: Tony Shalhoub
- Baleful Polymorph: The Cortezes and Floop trap him in the mutation machine, but Minion activates it and ends up with four heads.
- Heel–Face Turn: Has had one by the second film.
- His Name Really Is "Barkeep": An evil minion whose last name is actually Minion.
- The Name Is Bond, James Bond: "I believe it's Mr. Minion, now."
Robo-Carmen and Robo-JuniRobotic clones of Carmen and Juni built by Floop and Minion. They are stronger and tougher than their counterparts, although Robo-Juni is a bit of a klutz.
Played by: Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara, respectively
- Alpha Bitch: Robo-Carmen to Juni.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Minion creates them for this purpose.
- Butt Monkey: Robo-Juni. Poor guy can't even talk in the first film.
- The Horde: There's dozens of them.
- Heel–Face Turn: Floop turns them into good guys and they become the hit stars of his show.
- Robot Girl: Robo-Carmen.
Mr. Lisp and Ms. GradenkoAn evil businessman and corrupt member of the OSS, Lisp and Ms. Gradenko are in league with Floop and Minion to control the world through clones of the children of the world leaders.
Played by: Robert Patrick (Mr. Lisp); Teri Hatcher (Ms. Gradenko)
- Bald Woman: Ms. Gradenko becomes this after her hair is burnt off by a jetpack.
- Big Bad: Lisp is the true villain of the first film.
Donnagon GigglesAn ally to Gregorio and father to Gary and Gertie Giggles. While saved by Carmen and Juni in the first film, it turns out he has a hobby for trying to conquer the world and tries to use the Transmooker device to rule the world.
Played by: Mike Judge
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: Gertie implies it is not the first time he has tried to conquer the world.
- Karma Houdini: Despite being fired from the OSS by the President of the United States himself, Donnagon somehow ends up back in the organization in the third film, now working as a technician alongside his wife.
- Meaningful Name: He really makes his last name make sense with his giggling in the second film. His kids also share this habit.
- Ungrateful Bastard: It can be easy to miss, but he's one of the Fooglies in the first movie. He repays the Cortezes for rescuing him and changing him back by trying to take over the world and kill them.
Gary and Gertie GigglesCarmen and Juni's rivals in the Spy Kids division and Donnagon's children. Gary is the bad boy of the division, being a bit of a Jerk Ass but seems to like Carmen. Gertie is mischievous but the more reasonable and brainy of the two.
Played by: Matt O'Leary (Gary Giggles); Emily Osment (Gertie Giggles)
- Foreshadowing: Gertie tells Juni that everyone he knows is his family, leading to the mass Back for the Finale cast gathering in the third film.
- Girlish Pigtails: Gertie has pigtails which allow her to fly.
- Heel–Face Turn: Gertie at first, and Gary by the end of the film, since it turns out he was just keeping up the whole bad boy routine.
- Jerk Ass: Gary, although this is subverted to Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Ship Tease: Between Carmen and Gary, although Juni and Gertie seem to have a bit of a bond in the third film.
- Signature Laugh: At first it seems that Gertie Giggle is the one doing a high-pitched giggle, one that Juni earlier used to hack into their voice activated database. However, it turns out that giggle belongs to Gary who shares the trait with his father Donovan. Making him a Giggling Villain.
- The Starscream: At the last second, Gertie betrays her father by purposefully not programming the disk correctly.
The ToymakerSebastian the Toymaker is a supervillain imprisoned within cyberspace by the OSS. However, he creates a virtual reality game called "Game Over" with the intention on escaping through the countless gamers reaching the core to free him. He has a dark past with Valentin.
Played by: Sylvester Stallone
- Enemy Mine: With Grandpa Cortez.
- Holding Both Sides of the Conversation: An interesting case when the Toymaker speaks to holographic versions of himself - namely a Mad Scientist, a New-Age Retro Hippie, and a Blood Knight.
- Heel–Face Turn: Upon earning forgiveness from Valentin, Sebastian surrenders and joins the rest of the cast to celebrate having a family.
- Humongous Mecha: Has an army of these when he escapes the virtual world, with one adorned with his visage.
- Reality Warper: Controls his game from within the final level.
The Timekeeper/Danger D'AmoThe villain of the fourth film. The Timekeeper wishes to freeze time using the Armageddon Device. He doubles as Danger D'Amo, head of the OSS. He really wishes to rewind time to reunite with his father, after being trapped in time and witnessing his father age and die.
Played by: Jeremy Piven
- Affably Evil
- And I Must Scream: Danger was frozen in time for years, unable to move and not physically aging. All he could do was stare at his father as he grew older and died. He was freed but still remained a child and had to physically grow up whilst having the mind of a man.
- Big Bad: Of the fourth film. Or so it seems.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Because he made several versions of himself due to time traveling, most of his other selves selves are mooks in masks, while Tick Tock has goggles and a high pitched voice.
- Me's a Crowd: His minions and Tick Tock are all him from different times.
- Time Stands Still: His goal is to freeze and then rewind time.