open/close all folders
Kevin Wendell Crumb
"Did I hurt you?"
- Abusive Parents: His mother was apparently a particularly heinous example.
- Alternate Identity Amnesia: Truth in Television. As with real life cases of DID Kevin has no memory of his alters actions.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: An aspect of his personalities. Each personality is so distinct that they differ psychologically and to a limited extent physically from each other.
- Dark and Troubled Past: So incredibly dark and troubled he developed twenty-three alters to endure it.
- Driven to Suicide: When he realizes his alters have hurt people he asks Casey to shoot him.
- Enemy Within: His three "undesirable" alters and the Beast.
- Flip Personality: When Kevin's alters take over his body manifests changes in expression, posture and voice. And then the Beast takes this Up to Eleven with overt supernatural powers.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Kevin seems to be a completely normal and kind person, in spite of his mental condition. The Beast on the other hand...
- The Killer in Me: The Beast.
- Multi-Gendered Split Personalities: Kevin has at least three female alters out of his twenty-three.
- Parental Abandonment: Kevin's father is said to have "left on a train". Whether he died or simply left the family is ambiguous.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: The Beast.
- Split Personality: And a surprisingly accurate depiction of it.
- Split-Personality Takeover: Patricia, Dennis and Hedwig along with the Beast in the end.
- The Woobie: Horrifically abused by his mother and kept out of the "light" by three of his alters, leaving him with no ability to control his actions.
"I'm trying to be good."
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Kevin, the original personality. Everything he does is to "protect" Kevin from harm.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: A firm believer that Kevin has this, and wants to push it to its limits. Which is why he tries to bring about the Beast.
- Control Freak: A consequence of his Super OCD developed to protect Kevin from his psychotic mother this lends to Dennis's tense persona.
- Death Glare: Dennis gives some truly chilling ones.
- Ephebophile: Dennis is said to have a problem with watching teenage girls dance naked.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Played with. Dennis is more easy to emotionally provoke than the other alters but his Control Freak nature keeps his temper from actually being loosed.
- The Heavy: He is the alter who does the most heavy lifting, being the biggest and strongest of them.
- Hyde Plays Jekyll: Though not evil, Dennis is certainly more malevolent than Barry, the alter he impersonates when in sessions with his therapist.
- Jerkass Woobie: Dennis comes across as this. His struggle to keep his worser habits in check and his desire to do everything he can to care for Kevin, even if his methods are wrong, is genuine.
- Lean and Mean: Though not as bad as Patricia, Dennis is still pretty mean.
- Madden Into Misanthropy: The abuse he suffered at the hands of Kevin's mother is what obviously developed his sullen and wrathful nature.
- Papa Wolf: Towards the original personality Kevin and the nine-year-old alter Hedwig.
- Stronger Than They Look: Dennis is strong enough to easily shove the door open even with two of the three girls pushing against it.
- Super OCD: Dennis first manifested to keep everything spotless to keep Kevin's mother from becoming angry. This is what first tips off Kevin's therapist that something is wrong, since the alter Barry who he claims to be, doesn't have this.
- Suppressed Rage: Dennis's default state.
"We are what we believe we are.."
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: A firm believer that Kevin has this, and wants to push it to its limits. Which is why she tries to bring about the Beast, a personality that believes itself to be an evolved superhuman.
- Evil Matriarch: Patricia is the personality of an elderly, passive-aggressive, and very dangerous elderly lady. She treats the hostages to dinner, insists on combing their hair and dressing them up for their "special night". She relates to the other personalities as a maternal figure. She views Dennis as a "not-well" but otherwise helpful subordinate, and Hedwig as a child in need of guidance. While Hedwig may be the personality that is in possession of the "light", it's clear that Patricia is the main ideological force behind "The Horde".
- The Fundamentalist: She whole heartedly believes in purging the weak and bringing pain to the ones who haven't suffered, and that Kevin's Dissociative Identity Disorder has allowed him to transcend human limitations. She believes so strongly that she deliberately sets out to bring about the emergence of The Beast.
- Social Darwinist: She appears to be the biggest proponent of the "Purge the Weak" mentality that is later fully realized by the Beast.
- The Unfettered: Why she was banned from "the Light" by the other personalities. She will stop at nothing to awaken the Beast and make the "impure" suffer.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Like the other personalities, she wants to do what is best for Kevin. Unfortunately, she thinks that the best way to help Kevin is to bring about the birth of the murderous, cannibalistic, super-powered Beast.
- Adults Dressed as Children: The alter Hedwig is a 9 year old child and attempts to dress as such in a sports outfit. He also has a habit of mentioning his sock colors randomly to show his childishness.
- The Baby of the Bunch
- Catch Phrase: Hedwig often uses the phrase "Ex cetera" when ending his statements.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: Casey was asleep when Hedwig decided to sneak in and join her nap. She wakes up and is shown very disturbed by the realization she is not napping alone.
- Kids Are Cruel: While Hedwig is mostly goofy in his antics there is hint of cruelty to his actions due to Patricia and Dennis's influence.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Casey uses this to her advantage to trick Hedwig into believing Patricia and Dennis are plotting against him despite his initial boasts of knowing their plans regarding the beast.
- Man Child: Kevin the host is an adult male and several of the other alters are adults or teenagers. Hedwig appears to be the only child alter.
- Situational Sexuality: Dennis is the alter with the most blatantly obvious desire to do "inappropriate" things with the girls according to Patricia. However, neither of the adult alters notice Hedwig's somewhat innocent signs of sexual interest towards Casey and the others. Hedwig is the only one to kiss one of the girls; albeit awkwardly since he claims to never have kissed someone before. He also is the only one to nap with one of the girls while she is asleep (she is shown to not like this).
SPOILER The Beast.
"The impure are the untouched! The unburned! The unslain! Those who have not been torn have no value in themselves, and no place in this world! They are asleep!"
- All Your Powers Combined: The Beast is an amalgamation of all the largest predators at the zoo where Kevin was employed, and thus physically manifests animalistic traits such as the carnivorous appetite of a tiger, the ability to crawl walls like a spider, a thick skin like a rhino, etc.
- Blue and Orange Morality: The Beast has some unconventional views on human nature. In particular only those who have endured great suffering deserve to live.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Basically what he is. He believes that his suffering has made him more than human, so that is what he is.
- Demonic Possession: The methods required to "summon" the Beast and the manifestation of its powers are more similar to this than an alter.
- Flip Personality: While all of Kevin's personalities have this to a degree, the Beast takes this Up to Eleven with superhuman powers.
- The Fundamentalist: To the point of killing and eating those who are "unsoiled". However, this also means that he will spare those who he has deemed to have been "purified" through suffering, like Casey.
- I'm a Humanitarian.
- It Can Think: He's not stupid. When Casey gets a shotgun, he immediately backs off, then starts taking out the lights to limit her visibility. He then quickly darts from cover to cover, and moves quickly to get her to miss and waste ammunition.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Is this to Kevin. Kevin is a gentle, sensitive man constantly haunted by his past trauma, and who is willing to commit suicide when he finds out what his personalities have done. The Beast is a murderous, social darwinist self-proclaimed superman who insists on killing those who are "impure".
- Large Ham: Just read the above quote.
- Painful Transformation: The most of all the personalities. Other alters can manifest in less than a second with little negative physical effects. When becoming the Beast, Kevin undergoes a long and obviously painful transformation as his body pushes itself to superhuman levels, with veins bulging through his skin, and blood filling up the whites of his eyes.
- Shadow Archetype: The Beast is a manifestation of Kevin's desire for the power to stand against all the things that hurt him, and to lash out at those who never took the time to try and understand his suffering. As such, The Beast is by far the most physically powerful of the personalities, to the point of being downright superhuman, and he murders and consumes those who have not suffered. As Kevin enjoyed his time working at the zoo and being with the animals there, the Beast manifests aspects of those animals.
- Social Darwinist: A supreme believer in this. He kills and eats those whom he deems as having not suffered enough. He spares Casey because of the her scars, showing that she has suffered in life.
- Super Strength: Able to bend steel bars through sheer effort.
- Super Toughness: His skin is so tough that stabbing him only breaks the blade. Point-black shotgun blasts only slightly pierce his skin.
- Super-Persistent Predator: Will stop at nothing to kill those who "have not suffered."
- Super-Powered Evil Side: By far the most physically powerful of all the alters, and by far the most evil.
- Start of Darkness: The entire movie is about his emergence as a supervillain.
- Tainted Veins: A clue that the Beast is in "the light".
- ‹bermensch: The Beast's ideology of those who have endured suffering being superior to those who haven't and his desire to purge the world of the unworthy "impure".
- Wall Crawl: Can use even the slightest of grips to climb any surface.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Like the other personalities, The Beast wants to help Kevin in his own twisted way. Unfortunately, the Beast takes this desire to murderous and cannibalistic extremes, hunting down anyone who lived a life without suffering like Kevin suffered, and making sure that they suffer.