open/close all folders
Kevin Wendell Crumb
Kevin's split personalities:
Kevin Wendell Crumb / The Horde
Portrayed By: James McAvoy
"Did I hurt you?"A man who suffers from an extreme case of Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), with twenty three separate personalities residing in his mind and alternatively taking over it.
- Abusive Parents: His mother was apparently a particularly heinous example.
- Alternate Identity Amnesia: Truth in Television. As with real life cases of DID, Kevin has no memory of his alters' actions.
- Bald of Evil: Kevin keeps a very short buzz cut, which augments the evil factor of his evil personalities.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: An aspect of his personalities. Each personality is so distinct that they differ psychologically and to a limited extent even physically from each other.
- Dark and Troubled Past: So incredibly dark and troubled he developed twenty-three alters to endure it.
- Death Seeker: When he realizes his alters have hurt people, he asks Casey to shoot him.
- Enemy Within: His three "undesirable" alters and the Beast.
- Flip Personality: When Kevin's alters take over, his body manifests changes in expression, posture, and voice. And then the Beast takes this Up to Eleven with overt supernatural powers.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Kevin seems to be a completely normal and kind person, in spite of his mental condition. The Beast, on the other hand...
- The Killer in Me: The Beast.
- Multi-Gendered Split Personalities: Kevin has at least three female alters out of his twenty-three.
- Parental Abandonment: Kevin's father is said to have "left on a train". Whether he died or simply left the family is ambiguous.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: The Beast.
- Split Personality: Oh boy yes... And a surprisingly accurate depiction of it.
- Split-Personality Takeover: Patricia, Dennis, and Hedwig along with the Beast in the end.
The personality of a flamboyant fashion expert, working tirelessly with Dr. Fletcher to keep Kevin's more dangerous identities "in the light". When Barry's control on the group starts to wane, Kevin's dark sides mutiny and he becomes lethal.
- The Fashionista: He is big into fashion and enjoys dabbling in his own sketches.
- Fighting from the Inside: Barry tries to do this through e-mailing Dr. Fletcher to schedule appointments. Dennis learns of these and impersonates Barry in order to try and give off the impression that nothing is wrong.
- The Heart: By far the nicest and most reasonable of Kevin's personalities.
- Nice Guy: Kevin's nicest and friendliest personality, by far.
"I'm trying to be good."One of Kevin's more disturbing personalities, Dennis is temperamental and has a perverted liking for watching young girls dance naked. He demonstrates traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder and a firm tendency towards cleanliness and order (which is possibly duplicated from Kevin's abusive mother). Dennis is devious, being shown to have been masquerading as Barry since the very beginning of the film.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Kevin, the original personality. Everything he does is to "protect" Kevin from harm.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: A firm believer that Kevin has this, and wants to push it to its limits. Which is why he tries to bring about the Beast.
- Control Freak: A consequence of his Super OCD developed to protect Kevin from his psychotic mother, this lends to Dennis's tense persona.
- Death Glare: Dennis gives some truly chilling ones.
- Ephebophile: Dennis is said to have a problem with watching teenage girls dance naked.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Played with. Dennis is more easy to emotionally provoke than the other alters, but his Control Freak nature keeps his temper from actually being loosed.
- The Heavy: He is the alter who does the most heavy lifting, being the biggest and strongest of them.
- Hyde Plays Jekyll: Though not evil, Dennis is certainly more malevolent than Barry, the alter he impersonates when in sessions with his therapist.
- Lean and Mean: Though not as bad as Patricia, Dennis is still pretty mean.
- Madden Into Misanthropy: The abuse he suffered at the hands of Kevin's mother is what obviously developed his sullen and wrathful nature.
- Papa Wolf: Towards the original personality Kevin and the nine-year-old alter Hedwig.
- Stronger Than They Look: Dennis is strong enough to easily shove the door open, even with two of the three girls pushing against it.
- Super OCD: Dennis first manifested to keep everything spotless to keep Kevin's mother from becoming angry. This is what first tips off Kevin's therapist that something is wrong, since the alter Barry, who he claims to be, doesn't have this.
- Suppressed Rage: Dennis's default state.
"We are what we believe we are.."The personality of a sophisticated, orderly and polite 'woman' who has considerable command over some of the other personalities (claiming that the others 'listen' to her). She assures Casey, Claire and Marcia that Dennis will not touch her because they are to serve a greater purpose than Dennis' desires.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: A firm believer that Kevin has this, and wants to push it to its limits. Which is why she tries to bring about the Beast, a personality that believes itself to be an evolved superhuman.
- Evil Matriarch: Patricia is the personality of an elderly, passive-aggressive, and very dangerous elderly lady. She treats the hostages to dinner, and insists on combing their hair and dressing them up for their "special night". She relates to the other personalities as a maternal figure. She views Dennis as a "not-well" but otherwise helpful subordinate, and Hedwig as a child in need of guidance. While Hedwig may be the personality that is in possession of the "light", it's clear that Patricia is the main ideological force behind "The Horde".
- The Fundamentalist: She whole heartedly believes in purging the weak and bringing pain to the ones who haven't suffered, and that Kevin's Dissociative Identity Disorder has allowed him to transcend human limitations. She believes so strongly that she deliberately sets out to bring about the emergence of The Beast.
- Social Darwinist: She appears to be the biggest proponent of the "Purge the Weak" mentality that is later fully realized by the Beast.
- The Unfettered: Why she was banned from "the Light" by the other personalities. She will stop at nothing to awaken the Beast and make the "impure" suffer.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Like the other personalities, she wants to do what is best for Kevin. Unfortunately, she thinks that the best way to help Kevin is to bring about the birth of the murderous, cannibalistic, super-powered Beast.
"Et cetera."The personality of a nine-year-old boy with several compulsive behaviors, such as proclaiming that he has red socks, crawling on bent knees, and ending sentences with 'et cetera'. He loves to dance crazily, do drawings and he is disciplined by the other personalities. He befriends Casey.
- Adults Dressed as Children: The alter Hedwig is a 9 year old child and attempts to dress as such in a sports outfit. He also has a habit of mentioning his sock colors randomly to show his childishness.
- The Baby of the Bunch: Kevin's most childlike personality.
- Catch-Phrase: Hedwig often uses the phrase "Et cetera" when ending his statements.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: Casey was asleep when Hedwig decided to sneak in and join her nap. She wakes up and is shown as being very disturbed by the realization she is not napping alone.
- Gender-Blender Name: Hedwig is a 9-year-old boy with a girl's name.
- Kids Are Cruel: While Hedwig is mostly goofy in his antics there is hint of cruelty to his actions due to Patricia and Dennis's influence.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Casey uses this to her advantage to trick Hedwig into believing that Patricia and Dennis are plotting against him despite his initial boasts of knowing their plans regarding the Beast.
- Man Child: Kevin the host is an adult male and several of the other alters are adults or teenagers. Hedwig appears to be the only child alter.
- Situational Sexuality: Dennis is the alter with the most blatantly obvious desire to do "inappropriate" things with the girls according to Patricia. However, neither of the adult alters notice Hedwig's somewhat innocent signs of sexual interest towards Casey and the others. Hedwig is the only one to kiss one of the girls, albeit awkwardly since he claims to never have kissed someone before. He also is the only one to nap with one of the girls while she is asleep (she is shown to not like this).
The personality of an introverted and highly intelligent man. He appears in a video on Kevin's computer.
"The impure are the untouched! The unburned! The unslain! Those who have not been torn have no value in themselves, and no place in this world! They are asleep!"By far the most dangerous, hostile and terrifying of all the personalities, the Beast is the 24th identity that resides in Kevin's mind. The Beast is extremely violent to the point of savagery, having an unquenchable lust for human flesh, and an intense perspective that the rest of the world are impure because they haven't suffered like he has. The Beast possesses superhuman strength, speed, agility, stamina, invulnerability and pain tolerance.
- All Your Powers Combined: The Beast is an amalgamation of all the largest predators at the zoo where Kevin was employed, and thus physically manifests animalistic traits such as the carnivorous appetite of a tiger, the ability to crawl walls like a spider, a thick skin like a rhino, etc.
- Blue and Orange Morality: The Beast has some unconventional views on human nature. In particular, only those who have endured great suffering deserve to live.
- The Berserker: Even after being shot two times by a shotgun, the Beast doesn't even flinch. He has a moment of appearing surprised, then returns to his previous actions.
- Big Bad: Of Split.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Basically what he is. He believes that his suffering has made him more than human, so that is what he is.
- Demonic Possession: The methods required to "summon" the Beast and the manifestation of its powers are more similar to this than an alter.
- Evil Counterpart: The Beast is one to David Dunn. They both have similar powers, but whereas David is a Reluctant Hero who wishes to simply have a normal life, the Beast is a cannibalistic Social Darwinist who wants to commit genocide on people he feels is unworthy of life.
- Evil Sounds Deep: The Beast is the most evil and powerful out of Kevin's personalities, and he suitably gets the deepest, most threatening tone out of all of them.
- Flip Personality: While all of Kevin's personalities have this to a degree, the Beast takes this Up to Eleven with superhuman powers.
- Foil: The Beast is one to Elijah Price/Mr. Glass. Both were raised primarily by their mothers and had a less-than-stellar home life, but for completely opposite reasons. Elijah was bullied for his condition that made his bones as brittle as glass, and Kevin is now feared for the condition that resulted in his super-strength. Ultimately, both paths set them towards meeting David Dunn.
- The Fundamentalist: To the point of killing and eating those who are "unsoiled". However, this also means that he will spare those who he has deemed to have been "purified" through suffering, like Casey.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The Beast is a cannibal, and eats Casey's friends after emerging.
- Implacable Man: Dr. Fletcher tries stabbing him? The knife breaks. Casey locks him in a room? He just rips the door open, destroying the lock like it's nothing. Casey shoots him twice at point-blank range after he dodges multiple shots? He just gets right back up, not even badly hurt. She locks herself inside a cage to keep him away? He begins bending the bars open with his bare hands. The only thing that even slows him down is her briefly making Kevin reemerge, and that only stops him long enough for her to escape. In the end, she only manages to hold him off long enough for him to notice her scars and choose to spare her.
- It Can Think: He's not stupid. When Casey gets a shotgun, he immediately backs off, then starts taking out the lights to limit her visibility. He then quickly darts from cover to cover, and moves quickly to get her to miss and waste ammunition.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Is this to Kevin. Kevin is a gentle, sensitive man constantly haunted by his past trauma, and who is willing to commit suicide when he finds out what his personalities have done. The Beast is a murderous, social darwinist self-proclaimed superman who insists on killing those who are "impure".
- Large Ham: Just read the above quote.
- Master of Your Domain: The Beast's powers seem to rely on this.
- Misery Builds Character: The Beast's guiding philosophy, which proves to be the key reason why he lets Casey go free once he sees her numerous scars.
- Painful Transformation: The most of all the personalities. Other alters can manifest in less than a second with little negative physical effects. When becoming the Beast, Kevin undergoes a long and obviously painful transformation as his body pushes itself to superhuman levels, with veins bulging through his skin, and blood filling up the whites of his eyes.
- Shadow Archetype: The Beast is a manifestation of Kevin's desire for the power to stand against all the things that hurt him, and to lash out at those who never took the time to try and understand his suffering. As such, The Beast is by far the most physically powerful of the personalities, to the point of being downright superhuman, and he murders and consumes those who have not suffered. As Kevin enjoyed his time working at the zoo and being with the animals there, the Beast manifests aspects of those animals.
- Social Darwinist: A supreme believer in this. He kills and eats those whom he deems as having not suffered enough. He spares Casey because of her scars, showing that she has suffered in life.
- Super Strength: Able to bend steel bars through sheer effort.
- Super Toughness: The Beast is hyped up as having skin as thick as a rhino. His skin is so tough that stabbing him only breaks the blade. Point-black shotgun blasts only slightly pierce his skin.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: By far the most physically powerful of all the alters, and by far the most evil.
- Start of Darkness: The entire movie is about his emergence as a supervillain.
- Tainted Veins: A clue that the Beast is in "the light".
- ‹bermensch: The Beast's ideology of those who have endured suffering being superior to those who haven't and his desire to purge the world of the unworthy "impure".
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Of the personalities, he's the only one that doesn't wear a shirt at all.
- Wall Crawl: Can use even the slightest of grips to climb any surface.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Like the other personalities, The Beast wants to help Kevin in his own twisted way. Unfortunately, the Beast takes this desire to murderous and cannibalistic extremes, hunting down anyone who lived a life without suffering like Kevin suffered, and making sure that they suffer.
Portrayed By: Anya Taylor-Joy
- Alone with the Psycho: She's frequently alone with Kevin's personalities.
- Alliterative Name: Casey Cooke.
- Broken Bird: She's had a difficult life. Her father died when she was only a child, leaving her in the care of her abusive uncle.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father died of a heart attack when she was very young.
- Final Girl: She becomes this after Claire, Marcia and Dr. Fletcher are killed by the Beast.
- Missing Mom: Her mother isn't in her life at all, although it isn't clear why.
- The Smart Girl: Out of the three girls, she's the savviest on how to behave with Kevin and his personalities to have a chance to survive.
Dr. Karen Fletcher
Portrayed By: Betty Buckley
Appearances: SplitA psychologist who attempts to help Kevin with his DID, and believes that said disorder can, in extreme cases, cause physiological changes.
- Alone with the Psycho: She eventually finds herself at the mercy of the Beast, who kills her.
- Cassandra Truth: She firmly believes that extreme split personalities disorders can also trigger radical biochemical and physical changes in the body of people like Kevin, whis is ludicrous from a scientific standpoint. The Beast proves her right, in horrific fashion.
- Cool Old Lady: She is very patient with Kevin while treating him, and gives conferences on Skype.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: The Beast crushes her backbone with his bare hands.
- Oh, Crap!: Her reaction upon discovering the Beast is indeed Kevin's 24th split personality, and a potentially homicidal and violent one at that.
Portrayed By: M. Night Shyamalan
Appearances: SplitA friend of Dr. Fletcher, who helps her with her office's surveillance camera to decipher what's happening with Kevin's personalities.
- Creator Cameo: This guy is played by no other than the movie's director. He's unlikely to be the stadium dealer from Unbreakable however.
- Fast Food Nation: He seems to have a fondness for Hooters chicken wings, which makes Dr. Fletcher snark quite a bit on how it is a Nutritional Nightmare to her.Fletcher: Jai, what health-conscious fast food purveyor did you originally solicit to buy these chicken wings you so lovingly reheated in a minor suicidal gesture?
Portrayed By: Bruce Willis
Appearances: Unbreakable | Split | Glass
Patron: This is like that crazy guy in a wheelchair that they put away fifteen years ago. And they gave him a funny name too... What was it?
Dunn: Mr. Glass.David Dunn was once a football prodigy who ended up working as a security guard at a football stadium. As he returned home from an unsuccessful job interview in New York City, David's train crashed, killing the other 131 passengers, while he was the only survivor, sustaining no injuries.
- The Cameo: In a diner, patrons listen to the media coverage of Kevin Wendell Crumb's crimes, "The Horde" being his new media nickname. One notes the resemblance between The Horde and a wheelchair-bound terrorist arrested 15 years prior, struggling to remember the man's name. The man behind her is revealed to be Dunn, and he reminds her that the wheelchair-bound man was called "Mr. Glass".
- The Stinger: He appears in Split's post-credits scene.