Characters: Spider Man Schoolmates
This page is for all of Peter's buddies from High School and College.
open/close all folders
Eugene "Flash" Thompson/Venom IV
"Flash" was the school bully at Peter's high school, and thus "puny parker" often was the target of his bullying. However, once he became Spiderman, Peter began standing up to flash more. Ironically, Flash was always a big fan of the wall-crawler.
After high school, the two went their separate ways, with Flash joining the army. His time there mellowed him out considerably. So much so, that by the time he saw peter again, the two realized they had more in common than they thought, and soon even became friends. They even ended up teaching at their old high school together. Peter taught science, while Flash taught gym.
For a more focused look on him as Venom IV there's his part of the Venom Character page
- Ascended Fanboy: Lampshaded when he gets the Venom suit. He shoots webs and wall crawls, shouting "I'm Spider-Man!" They correct him that he's actually the new Venom, and then he whines that some other super-heroes are Legacy Characters and he wanted to be one.
- Badass Normal: Well, he didn't earn his rank as Corporal in the U.S. Army on looks...
- Big Fan of My Alter-Ego: Even in the earliest stories, he was a huge fan of Spider-Man and was as committed to defending him as he was to giving Peter Parker a hard time.
- Blonde Guys Are Evil: Well, a big jerk... in high school. Grew out of it later and became one of Pete's best friends.
- Character Development: He grew from being a Jerk Jock, to Jerk with a Heart of Gold, to one of Peter's closest friends in his adult life.
- Embarrassing First Name
- Hidden Depths: Back in the high school days he once admitted that it was he that started a fight with Parker, after Parker got caught fighting.
- Irony: Picked on Peter in high school, but was Spidey's biggest fan.
- Jerk Jock —> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Redeeming Replacement: The fourth Venom is a gun-toting military operative who looks like he takes fashion tips from the Punisher - but he's still a fanboy at heart. He even refused to kill Cletus during Carnage USA because he knew he'd have to answer to Spider-Man afterwards. "I know it's silly, but I'm kind of a fan."
- Superpowered Evil Side: Must be careful not to get angry while wearing the Venom symbiote.
Harry Osborn/Green Goblin II/American Son
The son of famed billionaire Norman Osborn
, Harry had a hard life growing up. After his mother died, Norman buried himself in his work, and Harry felt increasingly neglected and angry at his father. In fact, it was he who switched around some chemicals when Norman tried to create the first goblin serum to pay his dad back for neglecting him. However, when he came to college, he finally found someone who would care about him far more than his father ever would: Peter Parker. While they started off rough due to Peter's life as spiderman, Harry soon became Peter's best friend in college, and they even shared an apartment during that time. Another fun thing he did in college was briefly date mary jane watson. However, the strain of his father's spells as the green goblin eventually turned Harry to drugs, and he almost overdosed on several occasions.
On one such occasion, it caused his father to revert back to his goblin personality, leading to The Night Gwen Stacy Died
. Sometime after this, Harry discovered his father was the green goblin, and that subsequently, Peter was Spiderman. Angry at peter for causing the death of his father, Harry became the second green goblin for a period of time. However, he eventually quit after he suffered a concussion that made him forget about peter's identity as spiderman.
The two of them reconnected, and for a time, it seemed like Harry's life was finally on the rebound. He took over running his father's company Oscorp, and married one of Peter's old high school classmates Liz Allen, and they had a son Normie. However, the goblin began coming back to Harry. First, when Hobgoblin tried to make the goblin serum, he brought harry's memories of being the goblin back, and he even donned the mask to help fight with Spidey on several occasions. He eventually tried to rebury the part and focus on his work and family. However, when his subconscious memories of hating peter and knowing about spiderman returned, he tried to revenge himself upon peter again, even trying out a new goblin serum to make himself even stronger. Angry and manic, he tried to destroy both spiderman and himself in an explosion, but after realizing Mary Jane and his son were in the building, he saved them all, before collapsing. Realizing the new serum was fatal, Harry died in Spiderman's arms, affirming their friendship.
That is, until One More Day, when Mephisto's interference summarily resurrected him from the dead.
- Abusive Parent: Norman. Oh boy, Norman.
- Avenging the Villain
- Back from the Dead: thanks to the effects of One More Day, Harry was revived from the dead.
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Calling the Old Man Out: In American Son, Harry finally gives one to Norman. His revival was worth it, just for that.
- Cool Glider
- Crazy Jealous Guy
- Create Your Own Villain
- Cycle of Revenge
- Drugs Are Bad: In a landmark issue Stan Lee defied the comics code authority to spread this message (revolutionary at the time...) when Harry overdoses and nearly dies from taking too many pills... his drug problems are translated as Drowning My Sorrows in The Movie and a "Globulin Green" addiction in The Spectacular Spider-Man.
- Easy Amnesia
- Evil Tastes Good: In The Movie: "MMMM, so good!"
- Friendly Enemy
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Heel-Face Revolving Door
- Impossibly Cool Weapons: Apparently Harry redesigned the Goblin weaponry so that it's even COOLER.
- Legacy Character: Green Goblin II.
- Living with the Villain: Peter and Harry are best friends... and, from time to time, mortal enemies.
- Powered Armor
- Redeeming Replacement: Harry once flirted with the idea of turning the green goblin into a hero, but Peter said that the goblin legacy carried too much baggage with it and rejected it.
- Redemption Equals Death
- Rival Turned Evil
- Room Full of Crazy
- Two-Faced: In The Movie
- Two Guys and a Girl: Peter, Harry, and Mary Jane... yes, this will end well...
- The Unfavorite: The comics originally had Norman (when not as the Green Goblin) as an absentee father that loved his son, but since his return, his opinion of his son hasn't been very kind. The adaptations also tend to go this route. And remember, Harry is an only child. More recent writers have actually played with the idea that Norman sees Peter as more worthy of being his son.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy
- What Happened to the Mouse?: What happened to his and Liz's son post-OMD?
- Um, nothing special. He still lives with his mom and uncle.
- You Killed My Father