SPACE BALLS: THE CHARACTER PAGE
Lone StarrThe main protagonist. He's is a parody of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo.
- Action Hero
- Awesome McCoolname
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Vespa.
- Composite Character: Of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker.
- The Ditz
- Doorstop Baby: He was found on the doorstep of a monastery as a baby. Unfortunately for him, the monks never told him who his parents were because they'd taken a vow of silence.
- Good Is Not Soft: Always ready to throw a punch.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Barf.
- Lazy Bum
- Only in It for the Money: "We're not just doing this for money!" (Beat) "We're doing it for a shitload of money!"
- Later changes this mindset by the end of the movie. It helps that the person he owed the aforementioned shitload of money to ate himself to death. Plus, he feels Vespa will need the money more since she's about to be married to someone like Valium.
- Punny Name
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- The Reveal: The medallion around his neck is his birth certificate, which identifies that he's the son of royalty. Naturally, this leads to:
- Suddenly Suitable Suitor: For Vespa.
BarfLone Starr's sidekick. He's a mawg; a half-man, half-dognote . He's a parody of Chewbacca.
- Adorkable: When frightened, Barf's actually quite adorable.
- Big Friendly Mawg
- Big Fun
- The Big Guy
- Chivalrous Pervert: "I'll have the cleavage, I-I mean the special!"
(climbing up the ladder)
- Accidental Pervert: Sometimes.
Dot Matrix: Hey, stop looking up my can!
(while waiting, his tail swings up into a waitress's skirt)
Waitress: Hey, hey! Watch where you're sticking that thing!
Barf: It's got a mind of its own, sweetheart. I can't do a thing with it. (laughs)
- Cowardly Lion: Prone to panicking, but ultimately kicks his share of ass.
- Dork Knight
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Lone Starr.
- Number Two
Princess VespaA spoiled princess who is kidnapped by Dark Helmet. She is a parody of Princess Leia.
- Action Girl: When you push her Berserk Button.
- Ambiguously Jewish: This was an intentional gag.
- Berserk Button: "My hair! He shot my hair! ...Son of a bitch."
- Character Development: She eventually grows out of her Spoiled Brat phase.
- Daddy's Girl
- Damsel in Distress
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Druish Princess: Funny, she doesn't look Druish.
- It's All About Me
- I Am X, Daughter of Y: I am Princess Vespa, Daughter of Roland, King of the Druids!
- Marry for Love: This is why she ran away from her wedding - Prince Valium may have been the last prince left in the galaxy, but that didn't mean Vespa loved him.
- Missing Mom: We learn right away that she's dead.
- Spoiled Brat
Dot MatrixPrincess Vespa's robot. She is a parody of C-3PO.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Eye Lights Out: Whenever she's recharging in "sleep mode".
- Matron Chaperone: Complete with "Virgin Alarm."
- Punny Name
- Robot Buddy
- Robot Hair: She has the hard hair variant.
- Same Language Dub
- The Smart Guy
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Subverted, Dot is established as having hopes, fears, and moments of sarcasm just like any flesh and blood being, and she's never treated as property or discriminated against.
Dark HelmetThe main antagonist. He's a parody of Darth Vader.
- Berserk Button: See Groin Attack.
- Butt Monkey
- Card-Carrying Villain
- The Chew Toy
- Dark Is Evil
- Darth Vader Clone: Parodied.
- The Dragon: To Skroob.
- Dragon-in-Chief: While he's not much of a threat, he manages to be this since Skroob is even more pathetic.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Playing Against Type there, Rick Moranis.
- Groin Attack: Do something to displease him, and he zaps you with his magic ring. Guess where?
- The Heavy
- I Surrender, Suckers: Uses this in his final fight with Lone Starr to get him to lose his ring.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Spoofed. He is Lone Starr's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. Technically he could have jus said his cousin's former roomate, but that wouldn't have been as funny.
- Man Child
- Nerd in Evil's Helmet: He even provides the picture for the trope page.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Physically and in personality, he isn't threatening in the least. However, his troops legitimately fear his wrath, and his capture of Vespa is quite creepy. He also displays decent fighting ability in his Schwartz duel with Lone Starr and uses underhanded tactics to gain an advantage in said duel.
- Rage Helm: Parodied.
- Surrounded by Assholes: "Keep firing, assholes!"
- The Dragon: To Dark Helmet
- Fail O'Suckyname
- Punny Name: Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? Chicken?
- Spell My Name with an "S"
President SkroobThe president of Planet Spaceball.
- Big Bad
- Non-Action Big Bad: Skroob is, for the most part, content to sit around while Dark Helmet does all the dirty work.
- The Ditz
- Harmless Villain: Unlike Dark Helmet, he's never a threat at any point, and even manages to be so dumb that even Dark Helmet calls him out, though only behind his back.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain
- Large Ham: It's Mel Brooks, after all.
- President Evil:
- Sdrawkcab Name: His name is almost "Brooks" reversed.
YoghurtA creature who teaches Lone Starr the way of "The Schwartz." He is a parody of Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Ambiguously Jewish
- Badass: We don't get to see him in action, but his mastery of the Schwartz no doubt makes him a force to be reckoned with.
- Big Good
- Composite Character: Of Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Cool Old Guy
- Humble Hero: Please, he's just plain Yoghurt.
- Living Legend: Also known as "Yoghurt the Wise", "Yoghurt the All-Powerful" and "Yoghurt the Magnificent".
- Punny Name: Yogurt to Yoghurt, get it?
King RolandThe King of Druidia and father of Princess Vespa.
- Doting Parent: It's obvious despite his limited screen time he's the one that spoiled Vespa.
- Good Father/Papa Wolf
- The Good King
- Requisite Royal Regalia
Pizza The HuttA space gangster. Part man, part pizza. He is a parody of Jabba The Hutt.
- Ambiguously Gay
- Autocannibalism: How Pizza ultimately dies.
- Blob Monster: Imagine Jabba The Hutt...made out of pizza.
- Punny Name
- Plot Irrelevant Villain: He's around to give Lone Starr a motive for getting involved in the story, but serves no purpose after that.
- Same Language Dub
- Villain with Good Publicity: He's a notorious crime boss, but his death is reported as a tragedy.
VinniePizza's right hand man.
- Ambiguously Gay: Yeah, there is something going on between him and Pizza. Especially when he takes a bite out of Pizza and says "You're delicious."
- Expy: Of Max Headroom.
- Nice Hat
Prince ValiumThe last prince left in the galaxy, and Princess Vespa's intended groom. He's a narcoleptic who doesn't talk much, mostly because he ends up just yawning instead.
- Arranged Marriage: With Vespa.
- Heavy Sleeper
- Locked Out of the Loop: Has no effect on the plot. His first words to Princess Vespa after she returns are, "Where have you been?"
- Prince Charmless: Is it any wonder he was the last prince left in the galaxy?
- Punny Name
- The Royals Who Don't Do Anything