Characters: Sora No Woto
Characters from So Ra No Wo To: the members of the Republic of Helvetia 1121st Tank Platoon, and supporting characters from the town of Seize and beyond.
miko nun well, she works at the church and takes care of the orphans, all right?
Private Kanata Sorami
Voiced by: Hisako KanemotoProtagonist of the series, Kanata joined the military to learn how to play the trumpet and was assigned to the 1121st Platoon as a bugler. A cheerful and optimistic person, her presence helped to lighten the mood within the platoon.
- A-Cup Angst: It only comes up in one scene, but Kanata is aware of Rio and Filicia's assets.
- A Minor Kidroduction: We first meet her as a little kid in a flashback to the time she met a certain bugler.
- Badass Unintentional: Kanata just wanted to learn to play the trumpet.
- Country Mouse: Kanata comes from a particularly remote and backwards part of Helvetia, where old Japanese customs are stronger.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Bugle mastered, Kanata spends the second OVA wondering what she should do now.
- Dreadful Musician: Starts off as one, but finally figures out how to blow in episode 5. She still can't hold a candle to Rio's jazz trumpet, though.
- Epic Hail: Someone has to tell both armies the peace has been signed!
- Hair Decorations: A single clip on her left temple.
- Exact WordsRio: [...] So make as many problems for me as you'd like. I did the same[...]Kanata: Understood, ma'am! From now on, I'll make as many problems for you as I can!
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her haircut, with a single tress hanging.
- Hairstyle Inertia: As seen in the flashback to the time she met Princess Iliya.
- Informed Flaw: Kanata claims to get lost a lot. She gets lost exactly twice, both cases shown in the first episode. She does, however, get easily distracted, and is prone to wandering off her path if something catches her eye.
- Meaningful Name: Her given name is written with kanji that mean 'the other side', 'distant' or 'over there'. In episode 13, she declares that she'll go with Rio to find the promised land at the other end of the world.
- Shaggy Search Technique: Kanata has a knack for stumbling upon interesting things, be it ancient diaries, automated watchposts or giant winged skeletons.
- Super Senses: Her hearing. It starts as perfect pitch, and then heads into the "no one could have heard that" territory.
- Women Drivers: By the second OVA she's already driving the platoon's jeep. Although she drives slooowly, she gets distracted easily.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: That's what her senpai Rio told her in episode three when she worried about being useless.
- You Were Trying Too Hard: Episode four shows how you can improve your trumpet technique following advice from a glassblower: don't overdo it.
Sergeant Major Rio Kazumiya Arkadia
Voiced by: Yuu KobayashiSecond-in-command of the 1121st Platoon, Rio appears as a cool and unflappable person with a no-nonsense attitude and can be very strict in demanding military discipline and issuing orders. However, she also cares a lot about her fellow members, which makes her greatly admired by the younger members, especially Kureha.
- Achilles in His Tent: The first arc of the series is Rio mulling over whether to keep ignoring the family that snubbed her for years and keep her freedom or give in, get into an arranged marriage and stop a war.
- Arranged Marriage: To the enemy Emperor!
- Big Damn Heroes: In the series finale.
- Cool Big Sis
- Epic Hail: Good thing Kanata has Super Senses.
- Expy: Of Chihaya Kisaragi from The iDOLM@STER.
- Hairstyle Inertia: As seen in the flashbacks to her childhood, Rio has kept the same Hime Cut for years.
- Heroic Bastard: An illegitimate child of the Arkadia royal family.
- Hime Cut: Somewhat unkempt.
- Hot-Blooded: Rio doesn't do things half-assed, from giving speeches to cooking.
- King Incognito: But for Filicia, the rest of the girls don't know who Rio is exactly.
- Lethal Chef: Bits of the kitchen turn up as ingredients of her cooking, so Kanata doesn't take her offer to help her in the kitchen in episode 8.
- Memento Macguffin: A jingle bell inherited from her older half sister.
- Missing Mom: Her mom died at an early age, as seen in episode three's flashback.
- Mixed Ancestry: Rio is of mixed heritage since she lacks the Phenotype Stereotype looks of her blonde, green-eyed half-sister and her last names are Japanese/Greek.
- Multiethnic Name: Rio Kazumiya Arkadia
- Parental Abandonment: Her father ignored her for years until her older sister died and he needed a princess, any princess, to marry away.
- Rebellious Princess: Being elevated to princess status just to be politically married, Rio isn't too keen in adopting her new station.
- Sergeant Rough
- Team Dad
- That's an Order: When Kanata proves too keen on learning what is behind the mysterious cellar door in the first OVA Rio resorts to pulling rank on her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The singular example, at that - though the Priest refers to her as 'the black-haired girl' at one point.
Private Kureha Suminoya
Voiced by: Eri KitamuraThe designated gunner of the 1121st Platoon, Kureha is also the youngest member in the platoon. However, she is perhaps the most serious member and is a stickler for military regulations. Greatly admires Rio and Major Klaus.
- A-Cup Angst: Could be, she looked a lil displeased, when Kanata looked at Rio's and Filicia's, but not at her's.
- Cry Cute: She drops her professional facade and let's out the waterworks when the rest of the crew decides to go AWOL and stop Hopkins plan to reignite the war with Rome. She goes with it, of course.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Kureha loves to talk about her parents - although he barely remembers them.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She sleeps with a lederhosen-clad teddy bear.
- Girlish Pigtails: Her usual hairstyle (tied with red ribbons) except while wearing her helmet.
- Green-Eyed Monster: At first Kureha resents Kanata for getting some of Rio's attention as the newbie.
- Military Brat: Her father was a tank commander and her mother a military nurse.
- Never Gets Drunk: The only girl sober at the end of the first OVA. She still gets a hangover, though.
- Only Sane Employee: Kureha is the only member of the 1121st that thinks there's something wrong with Filicia's relaxed approach to command.
- Straight Man: Not only is Kureha generally the most serious of the five (barring Noel's kuudere-ness), she's the only person living in the Clocktower Fortress with (comparatively) few Les Yay scenes.
- Tsundere: She might act tough and professional but she's actually a softie. "I-It's not like I did it for you or anything like that..."
- With Due Respect: She's the most military-minded of the crew, pulling rank on Kanata during the second episode on their tour through the base. When Filicia decides to hide Aisha the enemy soldier she properly objects.
Corporal NoŽl Kannagi
Voiced by: Aoi YukiThe designated driver and mechanic of the 1121st Platoon, NoŽl is a taciturn and reserved person who spends much of her time tinkering at the platoon's tank Takemikazuchi.
- The Atoner: Encouraged by Yumina to make up for her role in the Invisible Reaper plague, she pilots the Takemikazuchi against her own army in episode 12.
- Bokukko: She uses the male pronoun boku to refer to herself.
- Broken Bird: Machines don't betray you. Unlike Colonel Hopkins, they won't take advantage of a little girl to recreate biological weapons of mass destruction. Thanks to Kanata and Aisha, she gets better.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She may not answer you while driving, wonder at a pillbug, fall asleep at random and be quite laconic, but she can repair anything, save those pesky Black Boxes.
- Child Prodigy: Singlehandedly repaired the facility used to manufacture a biological weapon known as the "Invisible Reaper" as a little girl.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Filicia mentions that Noel has changed a lot since Kanata arrived. Noel also declares herself happy when Kanata doesn't arrive at the Clocktower Fortress on time, but by episode 4, she falls asleep on Kanata's shoulder.
- Emotionless Girl
- Failure Knight: Aisha reminds her of one of the victims of the Invisible Reaper.
- More Dakka: Her weapons of choice (other than Tank-Kun) are apparently always heavy machineguns with lots of ammo. Be it a drum-fed MG42 or a bucket-fed water Gatling.
- Ms. Fixit
- Mystical White Hair: She's fifteen and white haired, and as seen in the flashback to the time she worked for Colonel Hopkins, she's been white haired since an early age.
- Not So Stoic: When faced with her Dark and Troubled Past.
- The Quiet One: Noel says very little and when she does have something to say, she uses as few words as possible to say it.
- Red Baron: Her connection to the Invisible Reaper bio-weapon earned her the epithet for herself.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: White-haired, pale-skinned stoic pilot that hardly speaks, when she does she uses a monotone and has a Dark and Troubled Past coming back from when she was a Child Prodigy.
- Sleepyhead: She has a tendency to pull all-nighters working on the tank, resulting in narcolepsy.
- Spell My Name with an "S": NoŽl.
- The Stoic
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Deeply stoic and distant, but that's because she's severely emotionally scarred by her part in the Invisible Reaper. Underneath that cold exterior, there's a very kind-hearted and caring girl who wants to become 'a lovely wife'.
- Teen Genius: Repaired the super-advanced Takemikazuchi alone, in an old, dilapidated high-school gym and achieved fluency in
GermanHoly Roman in just under two months.
- Terse Talker: NoŽl is pretty concise when she talks. While she is sober.
- Unwitting Pawn: Hopkins used her to repair the facility that recreated the Invisible Reaper plague, giving her a serious case of My God, What Have I Done?.
- Wrench Wench: She's the Takemikazuchi Spider Tank pilot and mechanic.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Her nightwear.
Second Lieutenant Filicia Heidemann
Voiced by: Aya EndoLeader of the 1121st Platoon, Filicia adopts a very relaxed approach in commanding the platoon, beginning with her insistence of First Name Basis amongst platoon members. She cares a lot about her subordinates and wanted them to be as happy as possible during their time in the Clocktower Fortress.
- The Anti-Nihilist: In episode seven she declares life to lack meaning but for the one people give it themselves, and the meaning of her life is to protect her squad mates/surrogate family.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She doesn't hesitate for a moment to put a gun to the head of Colonel Hopkins and later shut him up with a warning shot in episode 12.
- Call Back: During the battle of Vingt-et-un, shortly before Filicia's entire tank platoon was killed, Lieutenant Olga gets the tank moving with 'Alright, let's go, my girls!' During the Let's Get Dangerous scene in episode 12, Filicia says the same thing to the girls of the 1121st.
- Captain Smooth: She nicely suggests "fun" things to do.
- Fear of Thunder: Filicia usually smiling, calm composure breaks down during thunderstorms, as seen in episode two.
- Flashback Nightmare: Episode seven has her flashing back to the time she spent trapped with a mummified soldier in a subway tunnel, triggered by seeing her own blood.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Beautiful, young, humble, nice all around channeling all her guilt and sorrow into positive things.
- Hidden Depths: Filicia starts as the Team Mom and grows into an Iron Woobie as we learn more of her past and motivations.
- Mama Bear: Filicia is a really nice girl... But make her girls cry and you'll regret it!
- Meaningful Echo: See Call Back.
- Meganekko: Pretty, always smiling and composed, giving orders that sound like suggestions, and a tad vulnerable.
- A Mother to Her Men: Filicia lists among the rules of the fortress that no one is to be addressed by rank, and she does every kind of menial tasks not usually performed by officers, like cleaning up the bathroom in episode 2.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Germanic name = Golden hair and blue eyes.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Her glasses hide her eyes for serious effect in episode seven and for laughs in the first OVA.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: In episode seven it is revealed that Filicia is the lone survivor of her previous unit and got chronic hallucinations and survivor guilt out of her ordeal. Doting on her unit is her way of coping with it.
- Stepford Smiler: She keeps all her serious psychological issues to herself.
- Survivor Guilt: Her crew was killed during Vingt-et-une, and she started having hallucinations urging her to join them.
- Team Mom: You won't find officers who give group hugs often.
- Unsuspectingly Soused: Can't really be called 'unsuspectingly', since she knew she was drinking alcohol; more like soused after spiking everyone's tea and overestimating her own tolerance.
Voiced by: Misato FukuenA
- Faux Fluency: Whereas Nami Miyahara's Aisha is pretty fluent in German - err Roman, Misato Fukuen clearly isn't. Fortunately Sister Yumina isn't supposed to be, being Helvetian, which means Roman is likely her second language.
- Nuns Are Mikos: An inversion of the usual example; she looks more like a miko, but acts more like a nun.
- Parental Substitute: She runs the local orphanage with a gentle hand.
- Rummage Sale Reject: Not so much herself - her hakama-habit is actually quite fetching - but she doesn't spare the children or Kanata her poorly-coordinated choices of clothing.
- Unsuspectingly Soused: In 'The Fortress At War', when Filicia spikes everyone's tea and gets them to drink several cups each. Less unsuspectingly later in the same episode, though.
Voiced by: Unshou IshizukaA courier and part-time standard bearer responsible for supplying the 1121st with their mail and their new recruits. Has the same name, and looks like, 'Miracle Klaus', the Desert Wolf.
- Call to Agriculture: After finishing his military service, his plan is to become a farmer.
- Drives Like Crazy: He's good at what he does, but Kanata likely won't be riding with him again anytime soon.
- Identical Stranger
- Memetic Badass: In-Universe example - The Desert fucking Wolf.
- Red Baron: The Desert Wolf.
- Older Than He Looks: He's fifty-one.
Voiced by: Nami MiyaharaA Roman soldier introduced in Episode 11 after she is found by Kanata and Kureha while on patrol.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Bilingual Dialogue: Given that she only speaks
GermanRoman, much of her dialogue, including a major CMoH, requires a translation team fluent in German as well as Japanese.
- Breast Attack: Noel gropes her breast to forestall being stabbed in the neck with a syringe. It works very well.
- But Not Too Foreign: Her grandmother was Helvetian.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : She breaks a leg, almost freezes to death, gets groped, gets hunted as an excuse to ruin the peace talks and then shot, all just for crossing the frontier to try getting a peek of her grandmother's town of origin.
- VersŲhnlich: Aisha forgives NoŽl for her role in the Invisible Reaper plague in episode 12.Du hast genug gelitten, deshalb vergebe ich dir, auch wenn dir sonst niemand vergeben sollte. You have suffered enough, therefore I forgive you, even when probably no one else will.
- Viewers Are Geniuses: See Bilingual Bonus. The Roman dialogue wasn't translated for the viewers in the original airing.
Iliya Arkadia, a.k.a. "Grace"
Voiced by: Ryōko OnoWar heroine and daughter of the Archduke of Helvetia, she crossed the paths of several of the girls of the 1121st Tank Platoon before they were assigned to the Time Keeping Fortress.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Wholesome heroine, savior of lost people and perfomer of Amazing Freaking Grace.
- Hime Cut: Fitting her Badass Princess status, this traditional Japanese hairstyle looks strange on a blonde. Her half-sister sports the same haircut.
- Onee-sama: Her half-sister pretty much worshiped her.
- The Paragon: Everyone who ever met her was inspired by her wholesomeness (in different ways), especially Kanata, Rio and Filicia.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Golden hair and green eyes.
- Posthumous Character: She only appears in flashbacks.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: She was a revered Helvetian war heroine.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Besides all her wartime heroism, she died saving a kid from drowning.
Voiced by: Mayuno YasukawaOwner of the glasswork shop and ally of the Clocktower Fortress girls.
- Friend in the Black Market: She acts as a go-between for smuggling illegal calvados as a side to her curio shop.
- Insistent Terminology: Do not like people addressing her in terms that would reveal her age and insists them on using the age-neutral "Naomi-san" instead.
- Ms. Exposition
- Oba-san: She's in her forties.