This is a list of characters for the manga series Shokugeki No Soma
open/close all folders
Tropes common to multiple residents
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Yuuki Yoshino, Megumi Tadakoro and Ryoko Sakaki, respectively
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass:
- Soma Yukihira has never gone to culinary school, an Idiot Hero and isn't taken seriously by other students because he's a first-year and a "commoner", yet his twelve years of working in his family restaurant proves he's the real deal.
- In spite of his eccentric Bunny-Ears Lawyer approach, it's hard to believe Satoshi Isshiki is one of Tootsuki's Council of Ten Masters.
- Everyone belives Megumi is a dunce because of her failing grades. Following the preliminaries of the Fall Classic, the student body realizes she always had the talent when Megumi reveals she knows how to work with monkfish since she was a child.
- With the exception of his school club, Zenji Marui proves you don't need to have physical skills to be a great chef when you're one of the smartest students in the first-year.
- Family Business:
- Soma has managed "Yukihira's" along with his dad, presumably also with his mom, since the restaurant is named with her family name.
- Megumi learned how to handle Goosefish to defend her Family's Inn, and her mother encouraged her to attend Tootsuki.
- Ryoko is said to come from a famous Shiokouji Shop.
- Soma also concluded from their first cooking match that Isshiki also comes from a Japanese Restaurant, given the techniques he applied on his dish.
- Friend to All Children:
- Soma during the breakfast buffet trial at training camp, when he calls a shy little girl to try his omelette breakfast by showcasing it as a "magic trick".
- At the cooking school, Soma and Megumi get the children's attention by appealing to what they find cool, and later encourage them to do their assignments by various methods.
- Hyper Awareness:
- During the first week at Tootsuki, Soma notices the smugness of other students and instant deduces they sabotaged his and Megumi's beef bourguignon during a cooking lecture with Roland Chapelle.
- Not only is Satoshi aware of hidden talents at Tootsuki that has yet to bloom, he tests Soma's potential as a Wild Card and deduces his prescence will likely shuffle the balance of power in the student body.
- After an impromptu cook-off between Soma and Satoshi at the dorm during Soma's welcoming party, Shun Ibusaki is the only one to acknowledge the latter wasn't really giving his best. He's also one of the students who knows Zenji Marui's level of expertise beforehand.
- No Sense of Personal Space:
- Isshiki uses freely the intercom and the air ducts to get into his roomates bedrooms in the most unexpected moments. Don't even try to ignore him, because he will get persistent.
- The residents tend to use freely any space of the big house for their projects: Shun smokes some of the rooms, Yuuki has animals inside the house, and so on.
- The residents also tend to pick Zenji Marui's room for all their parties without asking him. This also extents to his hotel room at training camp.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Every student in this dorm has a distinctive characteristic, forte or habit.
- Soma, unlike most of the student body, comes from a small "special-of-the-day" shop, which causes his peers, except his roommates, to look down on him. He tends to make amazingly bad experiments and feed them to his roommates.
- Megumi is from a small port town in the Tōhoku region and widely known to have the worst grades of the first-years, but compensates by cooking dishes that mentally and physically sooth her roommates.
- Satoshi walks around the dorm in a Fundoshi or Naked Apron and often ditches class to tend to the garden in the back of the dormitory. He's also the only person in the dorm who can evenly match Megumi at table tennis.
- Shun tends to transform a room in the dorm into a smoker every once in a while.
- Ryoko's speciality is Shiokouji (salt water preserves), and has a personal workshop in the basement, occasionally making "rice juice".
- Yuuki raises animals of all kinds and sometimes has them near her room. The others often complain about the smell.
- Zenji is the dorm Butt Monkey, whose room always get trashed for parties and gatherings - after which he has to clean up the mess.
- Daigo and Shoji like to challenge each other every chance they get.
- Although she's the dorm caretaker, Fumio Daimidou allows the residents to have parties late into the night.
- Ship Tease:
- Megumi explained to some precocious kids that the best way to get a great dish to think of someone you hold dear. It's heavily implied that the person she was thinking of was Soma.
- Also in the after-prelims party, we have a scene where Megumi and Soma were alone in the balcony, praising each other's cooking, with Megumi developing a Luminescent Blush as Soma said her cooking is good.
- Supreme Chefs: The current residents are more talented than most students. The (named) first-years reach six of the top 16 scores during the preliminaries of the Fall Classic, with Soma and Megumi moving to the main tourmanent.
- Those Two Guys: Aside from Daigo and Shoji, Ryoko and Yuuki are these for the girls.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Yuuki's the tomboy to Ryoko and Megumi's girly girl.
- True Companions: The Polaris Dormitory has chefs of varying levels all with a great respect for each other, which contrasts with many of the Jerkass rivals in the student body. They support each other and celebrate together all the good moments whenever they happen.
- Big Brother Instinct: During the Fall Classic, while many in the audience are insulting Megumi, Daigo and Shoji were ready to beat them up if they don't stop the mockery.
- Big Brother Mentor: As the senpai to all the other residents, Isshiki cares about his roomates and believes in their potentials as the future of the Polaris Dorms Miracles.
- Platonic Life Partners: Soma and Megumi develop a very close friendship, confiding each other their feelings, hopes and insecurities. Megumi eventually realizes she maybe has deeper feelings for Soma, while he places Megumi as his most trusted friend in Tootsuki.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Yuuki towards Megumi and Ryoko, as she is very affectionate towards them.
- Underestimating Badassery:
- Many people look down on Soma, thinking he's a simple chef from a simple special-of-the-day store. They get blindsided when he shows he can match their three years worth of high-level education with twelve years of experimenting in a kitchen.
- Megumi's history of failure and low rank lead people to underestimate her, forgetting she is indeed a skilled cook.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Daigo Aoki and Shoji Sato keep headbutting over who's the best, but they're still good friends.
The protagonist of the series, Soma is a 16-year old first-year high school student, having transferred
to the elite Tootsuki culinary school after this father Jouichirou Yukihira leaves their family restaurant Yukihira
to work overseas.
Tropes associated with Soma Yukihira:
- All of the Other Reindeer: Soma gets this reception before he is enrolled into Tootsuki. Everyone figures he's a small fry since he comes from a simple family restaurant.
- Badass: Possesses uncanny culinary skills and techniques, backed by an indomitable aura, who knows how impress the audience, judges and opponents.
- Badass Boast: When Erina Nakiri states how most Tootsuki applicants had received gifted education in ultra-fine gastronomy in their middle school years, Soma declares he's lived in a kitchen for twelve years, to wit he adds the first time he held a kitchen knife was when he was three years-old.
- Since he's a New Transfer Student, Soma is to deliver an introduction of himself to the Tootsuki first-years - he declares he will use the other 99% of them as "stepping stones" to reach the top. Everybody in Tootsuki now knows who Soma is.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Soma's creativity allows him to utilize some of the techniques of his opponents, whether it be against them in their own match or against new rivals.
- In his Shokugeki against Nikumi, he managed to beat her special meat dish by complementing the rice and meat to create a more unified and addicting flavor.
- In the first Fall Classic match, he used a simple molecular gastronomy technique to beat Alice's more exquisite bento.
- Subverted in the Fall Classic Preliminary Round, where his curry dish almost won against the curry specialist, Akira Hayama, but although more of the panelist have preferred Soma's dish, his score still ended up losing by one point to Hayama's and tying with Kurokiba's.
- To increase the level of the Shokugeki, Soma informed Subaru Mimasaka that he had planned to make "Beef Stew" as his entry for the Semifinals, also challenging himself, since he was aware that Mimasaka was going to copy him anyway.
- Book Dumb: Soma lacks the knowledge of some of the finer aspects of cooking, but makes up for it with his willingness to experiment. It's emphasized despite not having attended culinary school before, he's had enough hands-on experience in the Yukihira kitchen to be more than a match for his peers.
- Captain Oblivious: Zigzagged, such as being unaware about his father and status as a world-famous chef, despite seeing photos of him with foreigners and taking phone calls from people who speak different languages.
- Catch Phrase: "Happy to serve!"; turns into Borrowed Catchphrase as his father also uses it.
- Challenge Seeker: If he encounters someone that can do what he wants to learn, Soma is ready to give them the fight in that field.
- Character Title: The series is called Shokugeki no Soma, but his name is either written as "Sōma" or "Souma". The word "soma" means "spirit", thus the title means "cooking spirit", a direct pun on his official localized name "Soma".
- Chaste Hero: As he is Oblivious to Love, he also shows no interest at all in love. He thinks Ikumi and Mayumi's reactions to each other are just "they not getting along", is amazed at the new concept of "cooking for the loved person" when Megumi tells this and treats everyone with the same friendly attitude regardless of the gender, not showing reaction to all the blatant Male Gaze around.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef, Lethal Chef: When doing his experiments, which results in a lot of failures.
- The Determinator: Soma will cook anything the customer asks for, even if he doesn't have the necessary ingredients in stock. For example, when Yukihira is harassed by loan sharks, he emulates roasted pork using bacon wrapped with smashed potatoes.
- Despite having lost 490 consecutive times against his father in cooking duels, Soma makes it a point to one day beat him.
- During the breakfast buffet trial, everyone makes a huge deal of the Nakiri cousins serving 400 dishes in the span of 2 hours, ignoring the fact Soma serves 190 — half of the meals — in a quarter of the time, a much harder task.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Subverted. Even when he did many awesome tasks, like defeating Ikumi, Subaru and Alice, going toe-to-toe against Hayama and Kurokiba and surviving an unnofficial Shokugeki against Legendary 10 Kojirou Shinomiya, the average student body still looks down on him. Even when most of the school snubs him, Soma doesn't care at all about this.
- Establishing Character Moment: Soma tries out one of his new dishes(squid tentacles and peanut butter) before feeding it to his classmate, which showcases his quirky experimental qualities as a chef. In a subsequent scene, he astutely notes his mistakes after his cooking match with his father which displays a bit of a quieter side. Not to mention his incredible improvised meat dish against realtors, which cements himself as an unorthodox but highly determined chef.
- The Everyman: While he doesn't have a specialty like other characters, his signature style seems to revolve around common, homey dishes. It gets Lampshaded in later chapters when people start referring to his food as having "the flavor of the masses."
- Expy: The red hair, gold eyes, and fantastic cooking skill make him oddly reminiscent of Shirou Emiya, to say nothing of how they effortlessly create a harem.
- Friendly Rivalry: It's almost impossible to make enemies with Soma, since he always ends up befriending or getting along with his oponents: Ikumi ended up having a crush on him, Takumi also became a friendly rival to him, Soma frequently talks casually to Erina (even if she doesn't want to), gets orientation from Akira, talks friendly with Alice during the match, and even compliments Subaru's motorcycle.
- Generation Xerox: Soma is practically his father when he was his age. In fact, a lot of Soma's quirks are carried over from him. Visually Lampshaded by Gin Doujima.
- The trope is not entirely played straight. It's somewhat Zig-Zagged in that Soma's father was implied to be an angrier/brash cook who was called "Asura" (a god of destruction). However, he eventually grew out of this, and raised Soma to be better than that.
- Good Is Not Dumb: An establishing moment of this trait came from the Sumire District arc, where he pointed out the fact that customers (or people) are greedy in nature.
- Graceful Loser: Even though he lost 490 consecutive duels against his father or a Worthy Opponent, Soma will remain friendly towards his competitor.
- Subverted during the Fall Classic, when Satoshi points out his latest dish is a combination of his last two defeats (the omelette from the breakfast buffet trial and the apple risotto from his 490th duel with his father), refusing to let those moments pass as "failures". Fumio even names him "The Ultimate Sore Loser". Granted, Soma never becomes bitter, but he is very focused on surpassing himself.
- Soma himself points this out in Chapter 89, stating that the best cooks are the best cooks because they're sore losers and always strive to outdo themselves and others.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Subverted; Soma's twelve years of hands-on experience in the kitchen proves to be a great asset.
- The Hero: He's the protagonist, and his talents in cooking and his overall genial personality attracts no shortage of friends and rivals. Satoshi Isshiki implies that Soma's uniqueness may bring about larger changes in Tootsuki.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: As noted by Isshiki, All the articles in the Tootsuki Sports are either to criticize or dismiss Soma's relevance at the school (for example, by picking bad photos of him or giving more spotlight to the other contestants). The only journalist who genuinely likes him is Mitsuru. It's justified since the negative articles against Soma are the most requested by the student body in part due to his introduction speech.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: This happens to Soma at one point during the Breakfast trial. His desire to create a surprising dish (based on his experience from Yukihira) also meant it wasn't suitable for a buffet trial He manages to barely pass using improvisation and showmanship.
- Insult Backfire: When the loan shark claims the Yukihira is nothing but a failure, Soma presents her with an extremely delicious dish, explaining it was inspired by an accident, i.e. from a failure.
- Last Name Basis: Soma calls almost everyone by their surname, except Takumi Aldini, Fumio ("Fumio-san") and Ikumi Mito (he uses Nikumi and is the only one who gets away with calling her that), and Alice Nakiri (who he labels as "Nakiri's cousin").
- MacGyvering: Soma can make any dish taste incredible, even when the barest of ingredients are available. For example, in Fumio's entry test to the Polaris Dormitory, he makes a hamburger with only one gram of ground meat left in the kitchen, mixed with a can of sardines.
- Missing Mom: His mother, an indirect Plot Point, as he took his mother's surname "Yukihira" instead of his father's "Saiba". His father mentions later on that he goes by Yukihira now too, though he's still known the world over as Saiba.
- Mundane Made Awesome: While his competitors will use financially expensive ingredients, yet rich in flavor, Soma can pull off the same result by buying affordable items from the local supermarket and any leftovers.
- When Soma is matched to go against Alice Nakiri (who is expected to do a very elaborated entry), Soma opts for a Nori bento, which is considered the most basic kind, with Ryoko lampshading it by "It's so typical of you". Soma then makes this bento "evolve".
- This is essentially the core of his cooking style; taking common, everyday dishes and elevating them with his high level of technique.
- Naïve Newcomer: Subverted; he's impressed with every new fact he discovers from Tootsuki or his roommates, but he gets used to it in less than three panels.
- Nerves of Steel: Due to cooking in an actual restaurant for much of his life, he never loses his cool even in high pressure or completely unexpected situations and can quickly formulate exactly what he needs to do to overturn a bad situation. Dojima Gin even notes during the breakfast buffet that Soma has a splendid ability to deal with "real situations."
- A flashback reveals his father taught him how to stay calm under pressure in his childhood (including the same technique used to dispel nervousness that Soma used on Megumi).
- New Transfer Student: Soma transferred to Tootsuki at the beginning of his first-year in high school. Not unusual, except Tootsuki also has a middle school campus, and the majority of the first-years come from there to the academy.
- No Fame, No Wealth, No Service: Most of the school looks down on him because of his humble origins, compared to the many heirs of wealthy restaurants.
- During one visit to the Fish Market, the tough loud shopkeepers start treating him and Megumi like royalty with only hearing they are Tootsuki students.
- Non-Uniform Uniform: Soma wears his shirts open with a dark t-shirt inside (long-sleeved when getting colder) and no tie.
- Transfer Student Uniforms: Also his jacket seems to be the black gakuran from his previous school, while the Tootsuki highschool jacket is navy blue with white borders on the collar, with pleaded brown pants and tie.
- Oblivious to Love: As of the Fall Classic, at least two girls have a crush on him, yet he can't tell, since he's focused on two things: surviving school and surpassing his dad. That's it.
- Power Copying: Not as blatant as Mimasaka Subaru, but he's pretty good at getting inspirations from other dishes / concepts. He used Alice's own Molecular Gastronomy technique against her (Sodium Alginate + Calcium Chloride), and in his battle vs Mimasaka Subaru, he used Hisako's technique to thicken his own stew using collagen in beef tail.
- Red-Headed Hero: Even though he is a shounen hero, he's not the typical Fiery Redhead and is fairly cool-headed in every situation.
- Second Place Is for Losers: He gets incredibly frustrated at any perceived loss, no matter who his opponent is. When he loses to Shinomiya, a famous chef in France, he waits until Megumi is gone before slamming his hand on the wall hard enough to hurt himself. When he gets second place against Akira Hayama in the Fall Classic he's angry that he didn't get perfect scores across the board, despite only losing by one point to a specialist on his home ground.
- Showy Invincible Hero: Played with; there are many opportunities for students to get expelled at Tootsuki, thus Soma has to put his cooking experience to the test and improvise when he can to win, yet there are a few moments where he doesn't "entirely succeed".
- Smug Super: To an extent. He's extremely confident in his cooking skills and is fond of belittling his opponents, not to mention his speech after his transfer, but he certainly can back his talk. Occasionally, he is faced with the prospect of losing or other bad situation, but even then he manages to come out on top.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Phonetically, the "o" in his name is written as "ō", which equates to "ou". Both are correct, but the series' title uses the word "soma" for "spirit", a pun on his name. The English localization uses the latter.
- Taught by Experience: The crux of his skills; however, even though he's worked in a kitchen for twelve years, he has much to learn, but Soma's a very quick learner and knows how to make his mistakes curb in his favor.
- Technician Versus Performer: Most of the time he's the performer against his competitors, who are highly skilled in their respective specialties. Though for big showdowns like Shokugeki, Soma builds strategies before the match by experimenting, applying a more technical approach.
- Underdogs Never Lose: Played with, as Soma hardly qualifies as an underdog once his skill is highlighted, yet averted in the unofficial Shokugeki against Koujirou, scoring lower than Akira in the Fall Classic preliminaries and eventually losing in the finals.
- Undying Loyalty: He will defend the name of Yukihira at any cost; this extends to his neighborhood and classmates from his old school.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: While his cooking is very versatile, Soma still comes from a "special-of-the-day" family restaurant. This briefly becomes a negative during the breakfast buffet trial, as he's used to serving food immediately. The solution? Put on a show to attract customers.
- Worthy Opponent: After he succeeds in completing redesigning his breakfast menu and attracting 190 customers in half hour, Alice comes to respect his ability and quick thinking. She looks forward to competing with him in the future just like she wants to compete with Erina. When they do face off, while she has respect for his abilities she's still absolutely positive she's going to win, however. She loses because unlike Soma, she didn't consider the criteria thoroughly enough.
One of two heroines of the series, the clumsy and shy Megumi is a first-year student at Tootsuki from Hokkaido. A much more skilled chef than she believes herself to be, her specialties are Hospitality (the warmth and care for others placed into her dishes; in other words, "comfort food") and dried ingredients.
Tropes associated with Megumi Tadokoro:
Satoshi Isshiki — Seventh Seat
The oldest student in the Polaris Dormitory, Satoshi is a second-year student at Tootsuki and holds the seventh seat of the Council of Ten Masters.
Tropes associated with Satoshi Isshiki:
- The Ace: During the training camp of his year, he was the first male student to complete the "50 meals"-challenge.
- Air Vent Escape: Has a habit of visiting Soma by his ceiling panel
- Bishie Sparkle
- Chick Magnet: One of judges at the Fall Classic offers him financial aid to support him forever if he would become hers. He's also very popular with older women at the DEF Kitchen.
- Dream Sequence: Isshiki has this while worrying if the rest of the dormitory will come back complete from the Training Camp. He imagines Soma a lot more muscular, Megumi turned into a Japanese Delinquent, and Shun completely scrawny; the only remains of Zenji were his glasses.
- The Host: He had this role for the Fall Classic's 2nd round and the Finale.
- Life of the Party: Everytime there's a party, Satoshi will appear wearing nothing but an apron or a speedo underneath that, prompting cheers from his roommates.
- Manly Tears: His reaction to Soma's dish, "Revamped Mackerel Onigiri Chazuke", following the welcoming party.
- Mr. Fanservice: Is rarely seen in proper attire (see below), and when he puts on a nice suit, older women are gushing over him.
- Female Gaze: There are plenty of times when readers will see his naked butt.
- Naked Apron: His standard attire in the dormitory, although he'd change into a Fundoshi (a traditional Japanese undergarment) while working in his garden.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Soma and Megumi get shocked seeing him in a business suit, admitting he looked super-cool. Later they question if it was really necesary to get dressed for a community cooking school.
- Stripperific: A male example. Most of the outfits he usually wears inside the dorms are Naked Aprons, Fundoshis and Speedos, especially when entertaining his kouhais for the dorm parties (which would look like a stripper party in other context).
- Naked People Are Funny: His tendency to go around naked in the dorms are mostly Played for Laughs.
- No Sense of Personal Space: See Air Vent Escape; in Gin's flashbacks, Satoshi and him were stretching and working out together...in the public bathroom.
- Worthy Opponent: He's very sure of his roommates' potential (especially Soma and Megumi's), backing their names in the Fall Classic list, hoping to face them once they're ready.
Another first-year resident in the Polaris Dormitory, Shun's specialty is smoked food.
Tropes associated with Shun Ibusaki:
- Chainsaw Good: He uses a chainsaw to cut trees and woods.
- The Comically Serious: Most of his funny moments come from how he keeps a straight face in front of his more crazy, loud-mouthed roommates.
- Genre Savvy: He knows about Isshiki not showing all his tricks to Soma, and Subaru Mimasaka's usual behaviour for Shokugekis.
- Messy Hair: Red and messy.
- Not So Stoic:
- As Yuuki notes, Shun tries to appear cool, but they all know he is upset for not passing to the finals because he isolated himself in his smoking room before the dorm party. Yuuki eventually drags him out to celebrate with the others.
- When Yuuki hands him the cheering paper fan with Megumi's name. He is seen embarrased with a light blush, mouthing that the fans are only going to distract Megumi. He still agrees to use it.
- Ryoko starts teasing him noting that deep inside he also wants to be as passionate and Hot-Headed as Soma. He fiercely denies it.
- Only Sane Man: The most low-key of the dorm residents, but still goes along with whatever the others are planning to do.
- The Quiet One: Rarely speaks
- Sore Loser:
- As Yuuki notes, Shun was so upset for losing the spot in the tournament, that he initially didn't want to party with the others and locked himself in the smoking room. Yuuki eventually dragged him out to join the celebrations.
- Ryoko and Yuuki theorize Shun did research on Subaru Mimasaka out of spite for losing the spot to him. While he denies it and addresses it as a recorded fact, they still know that's true.
- The Stoic: Shun has only one expression; when Jouichiro comes to visit the dorm, he is the only one unfazed by the latter's strange dishes.
One of the three first-year girls from the dorm, Ryoko's specialty is Shiokouji (preservatives and fermented ingredients) and spends months preparing them in the dorm basement.
Tropes associated with Ryoko Sakaki:
- Audience Surrogate: When Soma is researching for his strategy for the first round of the Fall Classic Finals, Ryoko helps him and also facilitates the exposition about what is a Nori Bento and how Soma plans to perfect it.
- Buxom Is Better: Has the largest breasts of the Polaris girls, and the biggest fanbase of the first-years.
- Gag Boobs: Twice. Yuuki is looking at herself selfconcious while Ryoko is Gainaxing during her table tennis game against Soma. In the Light-Novel illustration, where Shun, Yuuki and Ryoko are also at the DEF Kitchen, one of the kids is grabbing her by her boobs.
- Curtains Match the Window: She has reddish hair and red eyes.
- Dude Magnet: Has a secret fanbase in the student body
- Military Moonshiner: Played with; she has her own supply of homemade "rice juice" for parties.
- Onee-sama: Not only does her fanbase call her this, but the judges in the Fall Classic admit her cooking evokes this.
- Straight Girl: She is more patient, rational and calm than Yuuki, and also makes a more collected contrast to Megumi when she starts to panic.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Beautiful and graceful, with a secret fanbase in the school
Another of the three first-year girls at the Polaris Dormitory, Yuuki's forte is poultry and wild game (specifically special bred animals) and frequently uses a combination of different fat and meat.
Tropes associated with Yuuki Yoshino:
- Tsurime Eyes: To emphasize her more aggressive nature, especially compared to Megumi and Ryoko.
Another Polaris resident who comes off as physically weak and pathetic, first-year student Zenji happens to be the most educated of the freshman class, coming up with unique, yet unorthodox dishes thanks to his extensive novel research.
Tropes associated with Zenji Marui:
Daigo Aoki and Shoji Sato
Daigo Aoki to the left and Shoji Sato to the right. Or better known as Those Two Guys
The last two members of the Polaris Dormitory. Even thought they appeared early in the series, their names haven't been mentioned, and recently they were revealed only in extra material.
Tropes associated with Daigo Aoki and Shoji Sato:
- All There in the Manual: Their official names.
- Big Brother Instinct: Both Daigo and Shouji were very protective of Megumi when other students were badmouthing her.
- No Name Given: Their names, though, are later revealed in extra material, but still not mentioned in the main story. Their names are later revealed to be Daigo Aoki (the black haired guy) and Shoji Sato (the one with light colored hair).
- Overshadowed by Awesome: They were the only students from the dormitory to not get chosen as contestants for the Fall Classic.
- Those Two Guys: They only appear together to cheer for their roomates in the tournament.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: They are oftenly bickering with each other at the parties to compare who did the best dish.
Council of Ten Masters
Tropes common to the Council of Ten Masters members
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: The Council of Ten Masters, who makes the most important decisions in Tootsuki and holds higher authority than the teachers. If a student were to challenge a member for a spot on the council, yet lose in a Shokugeki, expulsion does not equate to the value of an Council of Ten Masters seat.
- The Ace: As indicated, they're the best students from all the current generations of Tootsuki.
- The Faceless: So far, the only members revealed are Erina Nakiri, Satoshi Isshiki and Etsuya Eizan.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: With the exception of Erina, so far. The rest of the council outruled Erina by allowing Soma to compete at the Fall Classic, and also recognized Megumi's potential despite of her grades, basing all the names of the list on talent, potential and performance at the training camp.
- Supreme Chefs: All of them, which makes virtually impossible for a common student to defeat an Council of Ten Masters, as demonstrated by Erina, who has closed many clubs by easily crushing the club presidents.
Erina Nakiri — Tenth Seat
The other heroine of the series, first-year student Erina is the grandaughter of Tootsuki's headmaster Senzaemon Nakiri. Holding the tenth seat of the Council of Ten Masters, she is known for having the "God's Tongue", due to her having an incredible palate and sense of taste, being able to discern what constitutes food as bad or good. Erina is determined to get Soma expelled from Tootsuki at any cost.
Tropes associated with Erina Nakiri:
Etsuya Eizan — Ninth Seat
The ninth seat of the Council of Ten Masters and second year student, Etsuya Eizan forms a grudge on Soma after his plan to take over the Sumire District through Mozuya
, a store based on karaage (food deep-fried in oil, similar to tempura), fails when Soma intervenes.
Tropes associated with Etsuya Eizan:
- Alliterative Name
- The Chessmaster: As Isshiki deduced, Eizan also manipulated the match pairs in order to try to eliminate Soma from the Tournament, since he was the one in charge of arranging the duel orders, so he first put Subaru against Takumi in order to provoke Soma into accepting a Shokugeki against him. However, the results in the Finale didn't go according to his plan.
- The Evil Genius: A ruthless gang leader who is intelligent enough to work as a food consultant when he was still in middle school. Isshiki describes as an "Intellectual-type Yakuza"
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- The Man Behind the Man: Shown to be this twice.
- He was behind Mozuya's expansion that almost leaves the Sumire District shops out of business. Without Eizan's advices, Mozuya derailed quickly.
- It's also revealed that Eizan took Subaru Mimasaka under his wing and encouraged his bad behaviour, letting him defeat almost a hundred students in Shokugekis.
- Red Baron: "Alquimista"note
- The Strategist: The best food consultant in the market; in fact, Mozuya initially succeeds because of him. The minute they decided not to notify him about Soma, business for Mozuya starts to derail.
- Teen Genius: Already a food consultant in middle school.
- We Can Rule Together: He offers Soma a spot on his marketing team, which the latter rejects after realizing he's the one who almost contributed to the economic crisis in his neighbourhood.
- Yakuza/Japanese Delinquents: Discussed In-Universe; it's rumored in Tootsuki Eizan is either or because of his influence as a food consultant. He also has the look of a Japanese yankee.
Satoshi Isshiki - Seventh Seat
See Polaris Dormitory folder.
Don RS Club
A first-year high school student at Tootsuki, Ikumi was tasked by Erina to get rid of the Donburi Research Society (Don RS) Club to make room for another cooking lab, but is challenged and defeated by Soma to a Shokugeki, with the match conditions resulting her in joining the Don RS club. Ikumi's specialty is meat, but she slowly shifts her cooking into donburi (beef bowl) dishes and how meat compliments other ingredients.
Tropes associated with Ikumi Mito:
- Ambiguously Brown: Her name implies she's Japanese, but dark skin and blonde hair is natural (rather than the deliberate style), so it's not entirely clear.
- Awesome but Impractical: Originally, Ikumi used expensive grade-A5 wagyu beefnote . Her first idea to use A5 meat for a local karaage business is discarded automatically because it costs too much for a middle-class shopping district. After some advice from Soma, she starts to learn how to use the whole dish as a unit, no matter what kind of meat she is using.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Althought she technically isn't this in Don RS, Ikumi is far more skilled than Kanachi, who is the president (and the only other member left) of the club.
- Berserk Button: Never put sauce on wagyu beef, as one of Those Two Guys found out in a painful way.
- Big Breast Pride: Nikumi is certainly confident of her assets, and is constantly wearing tops that reveals her cleavage.
- Character Development: An arrogant student cook employed by Erina, after a humbling Shokugeki and being forced to join the same club she was tasked to destroy, Ikumi starts to realize her own desire for approval by simply being herself, turning her talents into donburi.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde
- Defeat Means Friendship: By Soma, as also she develops a crush to him. And by extension, she also befriends his roommates and the Aldini twins.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Not only she starts to mellow to Soma, but also integrates well into the Don RS and the circle of friends from the Polaris Dorms.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Nikumi", where "niku" means "meat" in Japanese. The only one allowed to call her that is...
- To Mayumi Kurase in the Karaage arc. While both have a crush on Soma who neither can't confess to him, Ikumi is more imposing, voluptuous and aggressive, while Mayumi is shy, petite, humble and quiet.
- Later on to Yuuki Yoshino. Both are meat specialists (Ikumi works with A5 meat, while Yuuki raises special breeds and applies "Wild Game") and both of them are very supportive of their new circle of friends. While Ikumi has trouble expressing friendship towards others (even thought she does like them all), Yuuki is more outgoing and cheerful (to the point that even Ikumi herself can't refuse to participate).
- Freudian Excuse: On her ninth birthday, her mother gave her a teddy bear as a gift. Unfortunately, her father destroyed it, telling his wife to never give their daughter another gift like that, and advising Ikumi to let go of any weaknesses to be the strong successor for the family business. This explains The Lad-ette appearance and attitude.
- Graceful Loser: Implied. After being forced against her will to join the Don RS, she serves don in several non-don-specific competitions and does it well, indicating that she takes her membership in the Don RS seriously in spite of being forced into it.
- Humble Pie: She was Erina's henchwoman who liked to bully the clubs she was going to close. Not only did she lost the shokugeki against Soma, but he defeated her A5 wagyu dish with a cheap steak from the market, which made the judges finish their bowls while hers was barely touched. After the defeat, Erina ditched her and she had to join the Don RS.
- Knife Nut: Has a knife strapped to her right leg and her favorite is a butcher knife.
- The Lad-ette: Has Boyish Short Hair, physically strong, Hot-Blooded, intimidating, loves meat and can beat guys up. She easily knocks out one of Those Two Guys out from the Polaris Dormitory.
- Ms. Fanservice: Almost always seen in Stripperific clothing, even when wearing her school uniform.
- Lampshaded in a bonus, where Soma asks her why she cooks in bikini when hot oil can reach her, to which Ikumi replies "a Chef mustn't be afraid of the kitchen".
- Non-Uniform Uniform: Wears her shirt unbuttoned, revealing different bikini tops, and her tie is on her right leg. It's surprising to others when she shows up wearing her uniform properly.
- Ojou: Judging from appearance and personality, one wouldn't see this, but the Mito family founded it business by distributing and selling meat across Japan. A flashback reveals Ikumi lives in a Big Fancy House and wore an elegant dress when she was a child.
- Oral Fixation: Has to the tendency to lick her lips. It's justified since her lips are the most sensitive part of her body in terms of rating meat temperature and taste.
- Punny Name: "Mito" is a pun on the English word "meat". Her nickname "Nikumi" contains the Japanese word "niku" for "meat".
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the tomboy to Mayumi's girly girl
- Tsundere: Ikumi denies being attracted to Soma, and will often yell how she doesn't care about the Don RS Club, even though she's embracing the donburi style.
- Slasher Smile: Does this often, usually when cooking
- Starter Rival: The first opponent who requires extensive planning from Soma to defeat rather than his usual improvisation.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Tough and aloof to everyone, except when she blushes notably everytime she talks about Soma.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Her cooking uniform is a bikini top and minishorts.
Kanachi Konishi is a second year student, the president of the Don RS Club and, aside from Ikumi, the only current member.
Tropes associated with Kanachi Konishi:
- Alliterative Name
- Expressive Hair: When he's exited his pompadour goes up, but when he's depressed, his pompadour goes down.
- Face of a Thug: Has the looks of Japanese Delinquents, but is a Nice Guy and believes in the donburi as the biker's meal.
- A Father to His Men: Given that Ikumi is the only Don RS member left, he constantly fills the Over-Enthusiastic Parents role for her. Ikumi is far from amused by this.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: He firmly believes in this. In a bonus, Ikumi tells Kanachi made her use leather jackets because, as a part of the Don RS, they all must look like bikers.
- Hot-Blooded: Whenever he talks about donburi.
- Improbable Hairstyle: In an Omake, Megumi is helping him tape the chunk of hair back after Ikumi angrily cuts it off.
- Save Our Club: One of Soma's first Shougeki involves saving the Don RS Club from becoming another of Erina's cooking labs. Soma not only succeeds, but also increased the club's budget and gets Ikumi to join it, after most of the members left Kanachi by himself.
- Traumatic Haircut: Ikumi chopped off half of his hair after he called her "Nikumi".
Tropes common to the twins:
- Always Identical Twins: Averted big time - while Takumi is blonde and has clear eyes, Isami Aldini is big, has shut eyes and black hair. Their personalities are complete opposites. Soma and Megumi are actually shocked to know they're related.
- Bishōnen: By default, Takumi; when Isami slims down, he turns into Tall, Dark and Handsome.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: The only physiscal thing the twins have in common from their italian heritage. They were straight up inocent when they were children.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-Italian, half-Japanese (though Takumi looks more Italian, while Isami has more Japanese facial features).
- It also reflects in their cooking styles, where they apply italian techniques on japanese-based ingredients:
- Their roasted duck with salsa verde was made with a breed of japanese duck "aigamo", soy sauce and other japanese herbs for the sauce, which made their fusion dish count as "japanese".
- Isami made a calzone filled with tomato curry, which resembled the popular curry bread.
- Takumi's Napolitan pasta was made with curry sauce and finely layered pasta with parmesan cheese filling.
- Cry Cute: Both of them are shown crying when they were little. Takumi tended to cry everytime he lost at cards, while Isami cried when he revised a recipe Takumi already did and got scolded for that.
- Early-Bird Cameo: The Aldinis show up at the high school opening ceremonies, but are introduced during training camp.
- Family Business: Takumi and Isami carried "Trattoria Aldini" along with their dad and uncle.
- Fat and Skinny: Isami as the fat one, and Takumi as the skinny. However, in this case, Isami is actually the more level-headed one, while Takumi frequently makes a fool of himself.
- Friendly Rivalry: Takumi to Soma, who the former always tries to put challenges on the latter, and among the siblings themselves. Naturally, this leads to...
- Sibling Rivalry: Although Takumi is the better chef, Isami expresses his desire to surpass his brother.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Takumi is Red (short-tempered and Challenge Seeker), while Isami is Blue (more calm and centered).
- Sibling Team: They have been cooking together since they were children, and frequently works together when they need to complete their task in pairs. Takumi even declared that Aldini is complete when he and Isami are together.
- Weapon of Choice: Their most used knife is a mezzaluna (crescent moon knife).
A first-year student, Takumi Aldini is the eldest son of a Japanese chef from a trattoria in the Tuscan region of Italy. He goes to Tootsuki with his younger twin brother Isami during middle school to demonstrate their skills and honor their family restaurant Trattoria Aldini
. When Soma declares his intentions at the opening ceremonies, Takumi finds a Worthy Opponent
in Soma, and actively seeks to best his newfound rival and one day surpass him in front of an audience.
Tropes associated with Takumi Aldini:
- The Ace: In terms of cooking, the cliente of Trattoria Aldini would ask for Takumi's specials instead of Isami's. His brother admits whenever Takumi puts on the chef's coat, he turns into a completely different person.
- Adorkable: When his Badass Boast turns into an Epic Fail. It happens a lot.
- Aloof Big Brother: Subverted; Takumi is aware he's the more talented of the twins, but he's still proud of Isami's culinary skills.
- Badass: The judges and professors praise his technique, use of a mezzaluna and creativity of ingredients (such as making a three-layered pasta and Italian-Japanese fusion dishes), to the point his skills are akin to a Samurai.
- Badass Boast: During his introduction to Soma as a defender of his family trattoria.
Takumi: "Sorry for the tardiness. My name is Takumi Aldini. This is my twin brother Isami Aldini. We worked in a kitchen of a trattoria in our hometown. It's a word in Italian that refers to the so-called 'restaurant of the masses'. I am just like you, Yukihira. I, too, am a chef that's protected his shop from the kitchen. You said that you 'don't plan to lose to some bunch that has never stood in front of clients'? Say that after you have defeated me. Between Aldini and Yukihira, I'll show you which is better."
- Break the Badass: Happens to him when Subaru Mimasaka not only defeats him, but also hurt his pride by predicting all his actions (including improvised options), stained his Mezzaluna knife and took it away and insulted his brother. After said Shokugeki, Takumi spent the entire week depresed in his apartment with a broken look in his eyes.
- Berserk Button: Don't dare to insult Isami by calling him "A second rate cook".
- Big Brother Instinct: Takumi, who could have rejected the Shokugeki, accepted Subaru Mimasaka's conditions to defend the honor and name of his brother Isami.
- Butt Monkey: Everytime he wants to boast, the moment turns awkward.
- Challenge Seeker: He constantly wants to engage Soma in a competition, but they usually fall flat.
- Chick Magnet: He is said to have a fanclub in Tootsuki, and also older females are seen gushing over him as he enters the arena.
- Establishing Character Moment: Takumi is first introduced stomping on Soma's foot, marking himself as an intimidating opponent...before his brother Isami laughs at him.
- The Fashionista: In contrast to Soma (who wears hantennote ), Takumi's plain clothes are very stylish, since Italians are very wary of their appearance.
- Heroic BSOD: After his defeat against Subaru Mimasaka, Takumi is seen depressed in his apartment, while a worried Isami passes him a message from Soma.
- Honor Before Reason: Takumi stated he would hate the idea of Soma getting expelled before they compete officially.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: After Soma defeats Subaru and gets Takumi's Mezzaluna back, he rejects it, declaring that he will earn it back by his own merits.
- Hyper Awareness: Takumi reveals he was already aware that Subaru Mimasaka had been following him around for the past few days.
- A Glass in the Hand: Soma gives Takumi a bag of kaki seeds to hold onto while he goes to search for ingredients during training camp. In frustration, Takumi crushes the bag with his grip, but it was what Soma wanted to do, anyway.
- Gratuitous Italian: From the two, Takumi is the one who uses more italian words. Most commonly "grazie" ("thank you").
- Glove Slap: Right before their match and in front of the whole school, Takumi throws a glove to Subaru Mimasaka to make the duel official, asking in exchange for his win a public apology to Isami.
- Jerkass Façade: In his introduction,he trods on Soma's foot to show his confidence and acts like a jerk. Immediately into the first assignment at training camp, he dislikes the idea his rival could be disqualified. Instead of throwing away the kaki seeds, he holds onto them; when he accidentally crushes the bag, he desperately apologizes for it (though Soma was intending to do it). An extra chapter also reveals Takumi planned to stomp on his foot long before, which most Jerkasses would do arbitrarily.
- Not So Different: Soma criticizes most of his peers for their high education without proper experience. However, Takumi comes from a similar background (working at a trattoria for years) despite his seemingly arrogant demeanor. Both of them wear the pride of their respective family restaurants' names on their uniforms. Also Takumi is as resourceful as Soma, since his imagination and range of vision during a challenge is very wide, as seen during the training camp.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Unlike Erina who wants Soma to go away, Takumi isn't satisfied to have Soma expelled until he can defeat him in a Shokugeki. He gets jealous if Soma has another rival, since he considers himself the only one.
- The Rival: Self-proclaimed towards Soma. He also proclaims himself to be Soma's "only rival". However, he's not taken as seriously as he would like.
- We Will Meet Again: Parodied. After the first cooking match between Takumi and Soma ends in a draw, the former declares this after saying they will someday settle things in a Shokugeki. A couple of panels later, they are forced to sit next to each other on the bus.
- The Worf Effect, Sacrificial Lion: His first appearance showcases himself as Souma's equal in resourcefulness and experience. His loss against Subaru foreshadows the amount of planning Souma would need to overcome him
- Wrong Genre Savvy: He knows he's Soma's rival. He knows the proper style and lines a rival character should give. What he does not know is that he's in a manga that's half comedy and where people don't stick to shounen clichés at all times.
Left: Isami in his first appearance. Right: Isami during Summer.
Takumi's younger twin brother, Isami always stands alongside his brother to make Italian cuisine, with the same skill set learned from Trattoria Aldini
Tropes associated with Isami Aldini:
- Acrofatic: When chubby, despite his large size, Isami is very quick at cleaning and cutting the ingredients, let alone synchronizing his movements perfectly with Takumi.
- Adrenaline Make Over: More accurately "Under Pressure Slim Down".
- Always Someone Better: Isami sees his brother Takumi as the one to beat since they learned to cook. He learned to accept the fact, but he still hopes to surpass him someday.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: When they're not in the kitchen, Isami enjoys teasing Takumi by reminding him to not cry or how he is more mature than him. He also openly laughs at Takumi whenever his boasts fail.
Isami: (pointing to Takumi, who is babbling alone) "You can just ignore him when he starts talking nonsense like that."
Yuuki: (thinking) That's family for you... He doesn't go easy on him.
- Big Little Brother: Not only he is One Head Taller than Takumi, he also acts like the more down-to-earth of the twins whenever they're interacting with others.
- Culture Clash: A minor one, as he is confused about Japanese custom of "cheering fans with names".
- Eyes Always Shut: Mostly when he's chubby. He averts it when he loses weight.
- Formerly Fat: Subverted; when summer starts, Isami slims down because of the heat. He regains weight around autumn and winter.
- Gentle Giant: Unlike his Challenge Seeker brother, Isami is always calm and polite to everyone despite his chubby and intimidating looks.
- Messy Hair: In contrast to his blonde twin, Isami's hair is black and spiky.
- Straight Man: He is this whenever Takumi ends up embarrassing himself with his Hot-Headed persona.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Only during the summer.
Erina's Danish cousin, Alice is a first-year high school student at Tootsuki, with her specialty being able to create very elaborate dishes, both beautiful and complex, using molecular gastronomy techniques.
Tropes associated with Alice Nakiri:
- The Ace: A talented cook like her cousin and scores the highest in the Fall Classic preliminaries, even above curry specialist Akira Hayama.
- Achilles' Heel: As amazing as her dishes are, they lack "heart" to them as she focuses more on taste and flashiness. This ultimately leads to her downfall in the Fall Classics since her bento was delicious, but failed to capture the fun and novelty of the bento culture.
- Always Second Best: Considered the nearest to the level of an Council of Ten Masters member, but Erina is still superior.
- Break the Haughty: She had a very superior attitude from the beginning towards anyone, until Soma defeated her in the first round of the Fall Classic Finals, to the point she started to cry on the floor, getting lectures from both Erina and Ryou.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-Danish, half-Japanese
- Child Prodigy: Alice already received awards in molecular gastronomy in Denmark when she was 9 years-old, with 42 patents to her name by the time she was 10.
- Cousin Rivalry: She is consistently trying to defeat her cousin Erina and establish herself as Tootsuki's number 1.
- Coy, Girlish Flirt Pose: She does this right before the judges try her curry dish, crowning the servings by mentioning "how much love she put into doing it".
- Crazy-Prepared: During the preliminary round, she brought a gas mask in case there was a huge stench, like Nao's foul-smelling dish.
- Evil Albino: Downplayed. Alice has silver hair and marble skin with crimson eyes, and can be quite arrogant, selfish and stubborn, but isn't actually "evil" or particularly malicious.
- Family Business: The Nakiris come from a long tradition of High-class chefs, with Senzaemon Nakiri as the Principal of the School, Erina being a Top Consultant thanks to her "God's Tongue" and Alice having patents and degrees in Molecular Gastronomy just like her mother.
- To Soma and Erina; while similarly arrogant and haughty like her cousin, Alice enjoys the luxuries of free time, has fun and flirts when possible. However, her arrogance stems from the belief in cutting-edge theories regarding cooking, providing a nice contrast to the more experimenting Soma.
- To Megumi: Alice makes a big show of talking about love and such, but clearly doesn't put any stock in it, while Megumi's strength is the thought she puts into not only her cooking, but the people eating it. This also contrasts in their cooking styles: Alice uses high-tech equipment and overly-complex dishes, while Megumi's, by admission of her neighbors and roommates, has a more lovely-homely and soothing feel. In the Fall Classic, Alice's superior attitude slips a bit for the first time when the judges state Megumi's cooking has a gentler, kinder feeling to it.
- Freudian Excuse: Her arrogance and drive to win stems from her long-seated desire to surpass Erina, as she always stood above her since they were children.
- Friendly Rivalry: There is little tension or hostility between her and Soma during their Fall Classic match. They were even chatting together amicably when they finished cooking. On the other hand, Ikumi knows Alice is really looking down on him, as she is confident on her superior skills. Even after being defeated, and snapping at Soma because of it, she quickly got over her loss quite quickly and even went over to talk with the Polar Dorm members as they watched the match between Megumi and Ryou.
- Full-Name Basis: On the receiving end. With the exception of her family (i.e. Erina and Sanzaemon) and her Sidekick Kurokiba, almost everyone refer to her as "Nakiri Alice".
- The Glorious War Of Cousin Rivalry: Erina was mean to her when they were growing up and she still looks down on Alice, preferring to stand as the superior chef. In exchange, Alice teases Erina where she knows her cousin is less experienced - social Life and behaving like a normal teenager.
- I Shall Taunt You: Her favorite approach to rivals.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: Even if she gets one of the highest scores, she will lecture her opponent about how their efforts weren't enough. Downplayed when Soma isn't the type of person to get frustrated from gloating.
- Practical Taunt: Approached Ikumi and Hisako in the middle of the contest to tease them.
- Hypocrite: After she loses to Soma and he makes a comment about getting closer to his goal she takes it as a taunt to her and completely chides him for it. She who's done nothing but since they've first met. She won't even take others' comments with grace, seen with Erina and Ryou.
- I'm Taking Him Home With Me: Basically how she got Ryou Kurokiba to be her assistant.
- Insufferable Genius: Alice will make sure everyone knows she is the best student (after Erina, of course).
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Alice declares she made all her research about love and teases Erina for not knowing about it when her knowledge comes from watching romantic-comedies, yet she falls asleep in the middle of them.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She is first shown to be another bitchy princess like Erina, what with her tendency to gloat at others, and had used her talents to crush a school club to take over their room and equipments for her own selfish purposes. But she is also quite goofy and is much more friendly than her cousin.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: Her type of relation with Ryou Kurokiba.
- Ms. Fanservice: In a bonus chapter, where she visits a local swimming pool with Erina and quite proudly showed off her figure by wearing a skimpy bikini.
- Ojou: Ryou treats her as "Milady Alice", she is costumed to get everything she wants (from expensive machines to the room of a Research Society Club) and sees going to a public pool like "an adventure". She is also perplexed from seeing "educational cheap candy" for the first time.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She has a unique eye design, and her red eyes along with her white skin and silver hair look really intimidating.
- The Rival: To Erina and Soma.
- Rich Bitch: Downplayed. She's proud, egoistic and frequently looks down on conventional cooking methods, but she's generally quite friendly and is not as stubborn as Erina is.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Ryou (when he's not wearing his bandanna). She's clearly the more outgoing, emotional and childish of the two.
- Sore Loser: Subverted. After Soma defeats her, she is clearly upset and proceeds to cry and throw a tantrum, but she still thanks him for the match and keeps the Friendly Rivalry with him.
- Spoiled Brat: As Ryou admits, Alice is very stubborn and will get what she wants no matter what, often pouting and whining whenever she gets upset (like Ryou "ruining her taunting atmosphere" or why he didn't slice her apples like bunnies). She even started crying on the floor and threw a big tantrum lika a child after she was defeated by Soma. Then called her mom about it for 9 hours
- The Tease: Most of her interactions with other characters involve gloating or seductive tones to get a reaction.
- In a flashback, Alice also did this when she first met Ryou Kurokiba, treating him like a petnote .
- We Can Rule Together: In a flashback, Alice delivers a "Join me, and I will complete your training" to Ryou when meeting him in Northern Europe.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Alice firmly believes in this trope, and thinks that Soma is trying to invoke Heart Is an Awesome Power to defeat her in their Fall Classic match.
Alice's laid-back assistant, the scraggily-looking Ryou follows her everywhere and does what she asks. On occasion, Ryou becomes an entirely different person when he wears his bandana. His speciality is seafood cooking.
Tropes associated with Ryou Kurokiba:
Fall Classic Finalists
An assistant of Professor Jun Shiomi, Akira comes from overseas, and met her when he was a kid, warning her about adultered spices in the market. Akira specializes in curry dishes, with a wide knowledge in various spices and aroma.
Tropes associated with Akira Hayama:
- The Ace: To curry and spices; since the Fall Classic's preliminaries is themed after curry, Akira uses this to his utmost advantage.
- By the Fall Classic, the judges noticed that his advanced sense of smell and instincts can make him a worthy rival to Erina's "God's Tongue".
- As a kid, he quickly learned Japanese to have a very good conversational level once he enroled to Tootsuki, and he also approved all the classes Jun failed as a student.
- Ambiguously Brown: Has a Japanese name (possibly given when he enrolled to Tootsuki, as is the custom with foreign students), with flashbacks detailing how he used to live in another country (it's unclear if the market he was nearby was India or Thailand), since he identified Jun as a Japanese tourist.
- Badass Boast: He declares to Hisako that he is going to dethrone Erina from her Council of Ten Masters spot. After beating Hisako, Akira once again reaffirms his intention to be The Ace of Tootsuki, and her downfall was because she only conforms to be Erina's Number Two.
- Badass Minds Think Alike: Soma and Hayama make curry dishes for the Fall Classic preliminary using an aroma surprise factor. Also he, like Soma, aims for the Top of the Council of Ten Masters by using every last resource they have.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Even though Professor Jun is a genius, she's still The Ditz and Akira is the mature one of the duo who takes care of her duties like attending guests, shopping, watering the plants or putting her Techno Babble into practical use. He even carries her to the couch when she sleeps on the floor in the middle of research.
- Bound and Gagged: The first shot of Chapter 90. Turns out he trained by being subjected to this (except he was blindfolded instead of gagged). Jun then gets that he was tied up so he wouldn't be able to recognize the sipces by touching them.
- Character Tics: Touches his nose with his index and is constantly holding and smelling spices like cinnamon.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: His hair is white rather than blond, but it clearly defines his non-Japanese (presumably Indian) heritage.
- First Name Basis: He calls Jun by her first name, despite the latter's frequent protests.
- Friendly Rivalry: Knowing Soma is selected into the Fall Classic, Hayama helps him in explaining the basics of curry and spices. Like Soma, he also prefers a challenge and both of them are engaged to see who would perform the best in the first round. They even make an extra plate just for the other to compare. It winds up coming to a draw as the judges can't agree which is better. To the point they nearly starting fighting over it.
- Averted following the preliminary rounds. Akira is then shown to be a loner by choice, rarely speaks casually to Soma outside the Tournament, lectured Hisako about her lack of ambition regarding Erina and formed a fierce rivalry with Ryou Kurokiba, going to the point of dismissing Soma as his rival and only focusing on his latest opponent, specially after Kurokiba called him a One-Trick Pony.
- Foil: To Jun - both are experts in spices, but she uses theoretical knowledge, while he depends on his sense of smell. Unlike the naive, ditzy, easily angered and dependent Jun, Akira is mature, reliable, Street Smart, cool and down-to-earth.
- Happily Adopted: In Chapter 103, it's revealed that Jun rescued him from the streets, gave him a home in Japan and the head of the Hayama Seminar gave him his new name and became his godfather. In exchange for all this, Akira is determined to be the very best for her.
- Ineffectual Loner: He is never shown with company, the only exception would be professor Jun.
- Let's Get Dangerous: He ties his hair in a ponytail whenever he's about to cook.
- The Nose Knows: His nose is very sharp when it comes to spices. He can identify ingredients and grade of cooking by the first smell.
- One Head Taller: Even as a kid, he was taller than Jun.
- The Rival: He has been built up as one of Soma's mayor rivals, even surpassing Soma and Ryou in scores and reaching the Finale over Takumi (who proclaimed himself as Soma's only rival for many chapters). By the time of the Finale, he developed an even more fierce rivalry towards Ryou Kurokiba.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: He's much more down-to-earth than the childishly excitable Jun.
- Street Smart: He knows from early age how the spice market works and how the store owners scam tourists with low-grade spices.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Has dark skin and his chef uniform is black. Also add his mysterious aura and fierce competitive streak. When referring to him, a lady at the fish market described him as "The dark skinned handsome guy".
- Technician Versus Performer: Subverted. Althought Jun Shiomi is the real Technician, Akira uses a combination of both, since he not only learns and puts in practice Jun's theories, but also relies on his superior sense of smell and spices instinct.
- It's played straight in the curry elimination match, though. While Hayama uses a more orthodox way of using his spices, Soma goes the opposite using a more creative combination of ingredients with his spices, such as using Mango Chutney which is considered to be unusual for Indians when it comes to curry.
- Tranquil Fury: While Soma calls him out for trying to appear cool after tying up in the semi-finals and Ryou calls him a "One-Trick Pony" for depending only on spices, a bystander perceives all his bottled up anger as he walks through the hallway.
- Undying Loyalty: When Natsume Sendawara, one of the judges who is also known as "The Curry Queen", offers Akira a very high salary in exchange for working exclusively for her company, he rejects it, declaring "I only fight for Jun".
Erina's secretary and close friend, Hisako specializes in medicinal-based dishes.
Tropes associated with Hisako Arato:
- The Ace: Consider Erina's culinary skills and how she thinks of any student beneath her. Whatever Hisako did to become Erina's assistant, she must have been that competent in cooking. Further supported during training camp, where she finishes the "50 Dishes Challenge" roughly at the same time as Soma (though Erina was the first) and before Takumi. Her score in the preliminaries of the Fall Classic confirms her as this, having the second highest score after Alice in Block B.
- Always Someone Better: She wants to be Erina's Number Two on the Council of Ten Masters and will crush anyne who dares to try and surpass Erina. Later Hayama reveals to her that this is her main weakness, as she is not really aiming for the real top to beat him, always living under Erina's shadow.
- Ambiguously Gay: To the point it almost looks like a Single-Target Sexuality Les Yay relationship, by the way Hisako reacts to Erina's cooking, she is also very jealous and overprotective of Erina. She looses her temper everytime Soma dares to talk casually to her, wanted Nao far away from her, got paranoid when Erina took the day off to a public place and she only lives to follow Erina around.
- Badass: If having Erina's seal of approval isn't enough, Chapter 73 has her doing a special dish with a live turtle and beheading it infront of the shocked audience without even batting an eyelash.
- Blood-Splattered Chef: Blood is splattering on her face and cooking attire when she cold-heartly beheads a living turtle. It's not that much blood, but it still fits the trope a makes her looking badass.
- Break the Haughty: She started thinking Erina as the best, that she could only be her Number Two and nobody could ever get to Erina's level past her. Hayama later defeats her, which hurts Hisako's pride so much that she couldn't consider herself worthy of being near Erina anymore.
- Characterization Marches On: She was originally just Erina's (unimportant) secretary who looked sweet and harmless. The Fall Classic arc reveals how cold and ruthless she can be.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Until the Fall Classic, Hisako was simply "Erina's secretary" and had No Name Given.
- Evil Counterpart: Loosely to Megumi - both are overshadowed by a friend in skill (Soma and Erina, respectively) and mild-mannered. Their cooking styles are also similar, with one focused on soothing mental and physical aspects, while the other uses medicinal properties from herbal ingredients. However, Megumi is a Nice Girl, but Hisako has some of Erina' haughtiness rubbed onto her.
- Family Business: The Arato Family comes from a long tradition of personal medics of the Nakiris. To be able to serve Erina as well, Hisako oriented her family knowledge of medicinal herbs into her cooking.
- In-Series Nickname: Hisako is called "Hishoko" (literally, "secretary girl"), used as a Running Gag by the author before a Canon Name was established.
- Embarrassing Nickname: She is getting annoyed that "Hishoko" is catching on between the student body after Alice gave it to her.
- The Medic: She comes from a line of Chinese medicine doctors and incorporates this into her cooking; Hisako's dish at the Fall Classic "breaks the power of Nao's curse" on the judges.
- Not So Different: With Akira Hayama. They both specialize in herbs and spices, and they are both very loyal to their respective "masters".
- Not So Similar: Whereas Hayama used his loyalty to Jun to push himself beyond his limits, Arato is content being Erina's Number Two
- Number Two, Sidekick: The secretary to Erina. This results in her defeat against Hayama, since she lacked of enough ambition to be the very best, just wanting to live under Erina's shadow.
- Put on a Bus: After Hayama defeated her at the Fall Classic, Hisako gave to Erina a letter stating she was "leaving on a journey", since she can't face Erina because of her failure, without listening to what Erina had to say.
- Undying Loyalty: Very loyal to Erina, since it's also tradition in her family, as the Arato line are personal doctors of the Nakiri's.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Despite being as haughty and elitist as Erina, Hisako does have this role towards her: extremely devoted, good cook and takes charge of all the mundane things Erina can't do by herself (like buying her shoujo manga at the store, for example).
A heavy built student who is introduced during the Fall Classic. Despite his look, he's smarter than he appears and has a strong sense for details. Apparently Etsuya Eizan's aide. He has no "specialty", but copies the other chefs he faces.
Tropes associated with Subaru Mimasaka:
- Animal Motif: Aside from his devil motif, during his match with Soma, he has a snake motif.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: One of his key strengths, despite having no specialties he can creates dishes that have surpassed chefs at their own specialties solely through analysing their abilities and creating a dish one step ahead of theirs.
- Badass: He's won 99 Shokugeki. Make that 100; Takumi Aldini has gone down, losing his Mezzaluna in the process.
- Badass Biker: The second time he appears, he's driving a motorbike. And he really loves it.
- Batman Gambit: How he defeats his opponents. He knows what they would do in any situation and he develops counter measures against them.
- Battle Trophy: He always bets on Shokugekis the opponent's precious tool, mostly to hurt the loser way beyond the defeat.
- Blood Knight: He loves intense cooking duels and is only interested in winning, that's why he challenges so many students he faces into Shokugeki.
- Collector of the Strange: He collects data of the rivals (even the most worthless details) and their tools as Battle Trophy.
- Cooking Pragmatist: In Eizan's words — though he certainly has skill for cooking, he has no respect for ingredients or tools and only cares about winning. To do so he spies on his opponents, figures out what they plan on making as well as gathering information of their styles of cooking, copy his opponents dishes to perfection and then making improvements to it until his dish is one step ahead of his opponents in every category whilst simultaneously making sure to take into account any other variables based on his information on his opponents skill and abilities to ensure he will remain ahead of them even if they try to improvise something. On top of that, during the match itself, he will also give breaking speeches on how utterly predictable they are and how pathetic it is for them to lose against their own specialties to put even more pressure on them. When one of the judges of the Fall Classic tries to call him out on his dirty strategies, he counters by stating that his particular style of cooking IS analysing his opponents to ensure the greatest chance of success.
- Cool Bike: He has an impressive looking bike. But how he protects his bike is more impressive.
- Crazy-Prepared: His motto is "Right down to a gnat's eyebrow", a phrase which means "going into the most minute of details". Not only he puts a high standard of security for his motorbike (breaks, chains, raincoat and GPS tracking in case of robery), he knows a lot of details about other cooks, even if some of the details are random or casual. Seriously, who needs to know Soma's shoe size, how many pair of shoes has or what kind of pattern Takumi's underwears have?
- Delinquent Hair: He has a mohawk of dreadlocks.
- Diabolus Ex Machina: In the end of the Fall Classic preliminary, he appears out of nowhere and steals the fourth spot of Block A from Shun Ibusaki and Zenji Marui.
- Did Not See That Coming: He's so used to studying opponents that Soma improvising a dish right on the spot in their duel blindsides him completely since he was so sure Soma would cook a certain dish beforehand and just rushed ahead in making it.
- Dreadlock Rasta: He's a huge biker with a dreadlock mohawk.
- Ditto Fighter: Due to his analyzing and extensive stalking, he is able to copy dishes AND make them better.
- Evil Gloating: People say that in one Shokugeki, he laughed loudly as he took away a knife which was a memento of his opponent's late mother. Right before he's awarded the win, he gloats how he knew Takumi would try to one up in his dessert.
- The Faceless: The first time he appears, his face wasn't shown and his name wasn't revealed. His second appearance reveals finally his face and his name.
- Fan Disservice: He gives two moments:
- One of the judges gets disturbed when his dessert made them picture Mimasaka as a Yamato Nadeshiko Maiden.
- After Soma wins against Mimasaka and gives him a plate of his stew, his dreds get loose and his hair starts to flow while he sparkles, much to the disgust of the female judges.
- Fatal Flaw: Same as being a Combat Pragmatist which even Soma notices. He's good at duplication and observation. But is so obsessed with just winning he's practically just wasting his talent and doesn't know the true joy of cooking and thus doesn't bother trying to take his creations further then just slightly outshining the competition. Sure enough, this leads to his loss to Soma as he only studied what Soma was planning on making. Soma got around this by constantly thinking up ways to improve the dish right before he even started to cook during the competition. Something Mimasaka didn't think was possibly.
- Faux Affably Evil: He's a gracious host and not averse to having casual chat with future opponents. However, before and during a match he mocks, belittles and sets out to destroy someone by beating them with the exact thing they chose to make. Further, he makes people bet items previous to them in shokugeki matches and then simply stockpiles his rewards.
- Foil: His copying of opponents seems to provide a dark mirror to Soma's experimenting and learning.
- Freudian Excuse: He has a distant father who did continually deny his cooking skills because they lack originality, and after he defeated his father in a cooking contest by modifying his father's special recipe, the latter sent him away to Tootsuki rather than giving him the praise he wanted.
- Genius Bruiser: He's very tall and muscular, but his knowledge of details is crazy. One of his greatest strength is predicting the moves of his opponents.
- Gonk: Especially next to most of the male cast by comparison, it's accentuated by his Overly Long Tongue, big built and creepy vibe.
- Hate Sink: While there's no shortage of Jerkasses and arrogant rivals in the series, Subaru's behavior is much darker to the point that even the judges comment on his tactics.
- Insufferable Genius: He really is a good cook. He has good aesthetic sense, a fine sense of taste, wide knowledge, inventiveness, attention to detail and analysis. He just has such a foul personality that it's said that no restaurant in the world would ever want to hire him. He's referred to as an awful cook because all he cares about is winning, not preparing good food.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Given that his special skill is to copy and upgrade other chefs styles, Subaru has a great set of skills, such as baking, decorating, garnishing and smoked ingredients, with many of the audience compairing his smoke techniques to Shun Ibusaki's, who is known as the "Smoke Prince".
- Jerkass: He provokes the opponents he has to face and challenges them to Shokugeki to get their precious cooking tools.
- Overly Long Tongue: When taunting Takumi right before their duel.
- Practical Taunt:
- Right before their match, Subaru pressed Takumi's Berserk Button by insulting Isami, so he can have a Shokugeki.
- He tries this again with Soma, hoping his win over Takumi would make him fly off the handle and accept his Shokugeki out of anger. While Soma does take the challenge, he's unimpressed by Subaru's verbal bullying. Not only does he keeps a cool head during their encounter, Soma, with no hesitation whatsoever, raises the stakes in their Shokugeki, much to Subaru's shock.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He's an intimidatingly huge guy with the Face of a Thug, but he's very skilled in embroidery and other delicate works. Megumi also gets surprised by seeing him in a frilly apron. And his precise handwork with desserts lets him look like a maiden, much to the horror of the audience.
- Red Baron: According to Eizan, he's called "King of Stalkers". His second nickname is "Perfect Tracer".
- Slasher Smile: Accompanied by his Overly Long Tongue whenever he is challenging his pray.
- Smarter Than You Look: He looks like a Delinquent (he probably is), but he's very intelligent guy.
- Stalker Without a Crush: It's stated that he's this; he knows details about people that any other shouldn't know.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: As a child, Subaru had tried to be the best in cooking to gain his father's praise and recognition.
- Younger Than He Looks: He's the same age as Soma and the other first year students, but he looks much older than he is.
Other Students From The 92nd Generation
The heir of a Chinese cuisine restaurant in Yokohama, Miyoko's specialty are Chinese techniques and wok maneuvers.
Tropes associated with Miyoko Hojou:
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Serious, tall, imposing and with a big fanbase, despite the fact she Does Not Like Men; all checked.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: After seeing Megumi's performance in the preliminaries and the support she gets from guys, she starts to question if her Straw Feminist mindset will really take her anywhere.
- Does Not Like Men: The restaurant her father owns is full of Straw Misogynists who looked down on her cooking skills because of her gender and had tried to drive her out of the kitchen, causing her to have a low opinion of men in general.
- Dude Magnet: Has a huge group of guys cheering for her
- Foil: For Megumi - Miyoko's a man-hater, stern and strong, but an Ineffectual Loner, while Megumi's shy, humble, trusts and gets help from men around her (unlike Miyoko, who is looked down by the male cooks at her family restaurant; Soma, her roomates and the fishermen from Megumi's hometown fully trust and support her).
- Freudian Excuse: See Straw Feminist and Heir Club for Men
- Graceful Loser: After the preliminaries conclude, she approaches Megumi to give her support for the next round, indicating Megumi earned her respect as a chef.
- Heir Club for Men: Wants to graduate from Tootsuki to be able to manage her family's Chinese restaurant, where all the male cooks underestimate her because of her gender.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Mixed with Statuesque Stunner - she's at least a head taller than Megumi.
- Perpetual Frowner: She rarely ever smiles
- Qipao: Wears one during the preliminary rounds of the Fall Classic, causing at least one judge to get Nosebleed and most of the guys to go excited.
- Straw Feminist: Miyoko starts defending Megumi against anyone questioning how she got into the Fall Classic, but withdraws her statement when she hears about Soma helping Megumi, believing the latter is weak for depending on a guy to help (least by her assumption, she doesn't know the whole story; not helped that Megumi doesn't give a clear answer when Miyoko asks her). A flashback reveals most of the chefs she worked with at her family restaurant were Jerkasses, giving her this mindset.
- Weapon of Choice: Her signature dishes are made with a special metal wok, and heavier than regular ones.
A first-year Stalker with a Crush
on Erina, Nao is forced to watch her idol from a distance after losing a Shokugeki to Hisako, with the condition she restrains her distance from Erina to 50 meters. Her speciality is boiled dishes, and despite the food being horrifically pungent, they taste unusually phenomenal.
Tropes associated with Nao Sadatsuka:
- Ambiguously Gay: Has a crush on Erina and later Hisako, constantly speaking about how much she wants Erina to taste her dish and scold her.
- Abhorrent Admirer: To Erina; after being defeated again by scores in the first round of the Fall Classic, Nao starts pulling this on Hisako.
- Beautiful All Along: Briefly after having a taste of Hisako's dish in the Fall Classic.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Averted; her dishes smell horrible, but the quality of flavor is superior than the average Tootsuki student.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Averted; being beaten in a Shokugeki by Hisako made Nao hate her even more. Subverted when she's outscored by Hisako in the Fall Classic, whereupon Nao develops a crush on Hisako, to her utter disgust.
- Expy: To Sadako from The Ring; her creepy obsession with Erina and appearance is a Shout-Out to Tomoko Kuroki.
- Fangirl: Of the Abhorrent Admirer kind.
- Giggling Villain: When alone, Nao tends to do a "Hihihi" laugh out of nowhere, creeping anyone around her.
- Hollywood Restraining Order: Back in middle school, Hisako challenged Nao to a Shokugeki so she wouldn't get near Erina from a distance less than 50 meters. away. Too bad it didn't include stalking with binoculars and sending more than 30 letters per day.
- In Love with Your Carnage: She's amazed by "Hisako-oneesama" beheading a living turtle.
- Onee-sama: How she addresses Erina and Hisako.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her long hair covers half of her face.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches her waist and covers half of her face.
- Red Baron: "The Boiling Witch".
- Stalker with a Crush: She stalks Erina, but she has to keep the distance of 50m.
- Stalker Without a Crush: Wants to take Hisako's spot as Erina's secretary that she challenges her to a Shokugeki; it doesn't work. Since then, Nao attempts to find a way to defeat Hisako. Irony abounds when she turns into a Stalker with a Crush on Hisako after being beat again at the Fall Classic.
- Strange Girl: To the point everyone says her cooking looks like "Black Magic". Also, Tootsuki security guards prefer to ignore her while she's stalking Erina from a tree.
- Wicked Witch: How everyone sees her at Tootsuki.
The Master of Ceremonies of the Shokugeki and other competitions at Tootsuki.
Tropes associated with Urara Kawashima:
- Attention Whore: She gets irritated if someone else is receiving the spotlight.
- Feigning Intelligence: According to the Omake chapter 14.5, she states her favorite book is The Little Prince (she never read it) and her favorite movie is Amélie (it's really Drunken Master 2).
- Foil: To the other host Yua Sasaki in the Fall Classic, her polar opposite in personality.
- Genki Girl: She's a very cheerful and energetic host and keeps the male audience very invested.
- The Host: Was the MC for the Shokugeki between Soma and Ikumi, and for the Block B of the Fall Classic. She's also the one who announces the details for the Classic. It also seems to be her only role, as she is also a Tootsuki student but we never get to see her cooking level.
- Running Gag: Her getting irritated whenever she loses the audience's attention. Also, if there's a shot of the crowd reacting to her, half of them will be boys cheering wildly, the other half will be girls growling in irritation that she's hogging all of the attention.
- School Idol: Very popular among the guys due to her role as MC
Students from the 93rd Generation
Mitsuru is a 3rd Year Middle School student at Tōtsuki Culinary Academy and a member of the Newspaper Club.
Tropes associated with Mitsuru Soutsuda:
- Adorkable: He is a cute middle school student who worships Soma and follows him with all his reporter equipment.
- In chapter 82, he even prepared lunch for Soma.
- Audience Surrogate: As he is investigating Soma, he brings the point of view of someone new to his cooking style during the test runs.
- Fanboy: Of Soma. He was fascinated by him since the preliminary round of the Fall Classic. Later it's revealed he is the only member of the newspaper who is focused on Soma, since all his senpais are interviewing Subaru.
- Keet: He is cheerful and optimistic about everything Soma does, taking note and pictures of everything.
- My God, What Have I Done?: He started crying in despair when he realized that Subaru got more data of Soma by accesing his computer and reading his article drafts, possibly costing Soma his Shokugeki.
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: Subaru later points out that accessing his PC was the easiest part, because Mitsuru used his own birthday date as password.
- School Newspaper News Hound: He is one of the juniors of the Tootsuki Sports, the school's newspaper. He wants to be great reporter rather than a good cook.
- Tag Along Kid: Soma doesn't consider him of much help, since he got full of his test dishes instead of giving him any constructive criticism. Still, Soma allows him to tag along to Erina's house.
Legendary Tootsuki Academy Alumni
Tropes common to the Legendary Alumni
- The Ace: All of them are considered the best Tootsuki's chefs from their generations. They're called the "Legendary Alumni" with all the merits since only a handful of students can graduate.
- Gin and Koujirou held the first seat of the Council of Ten Masters in their respective generations.
- Hinako, Fuyumi, Taki and Sonoka were 2nd seats from their respective years.
- Everyone Went to School Together: They all know each other as Tootsuki former alumni. Gin Doujima and Jouichirou Saiba (who did not graduate) are from the 69th generation, Hitoshi Sekimori's year is unknown, Koujirou Shinomiya and Fuyumi Mizuhara are from the 79th generation, while Hinako Inui and Donato Gotouda are from the 80th generation, the last four being good friends at school. Also Doujima and Jouichirou are acquitances with Jun Shiomi, who is from the 74th generation. Also Taki Tsunosaki (88th Generation) and Sonoka Kikuchi (89th Generation) seem to know each other as well.
- Red Baron:
- Koujirou: "The Légumes Magician" (Vegetarian Magician)
- Gin: "Living Legend"
- Hinako: "Mist Queen"
- Donato Gotouda: "The Lady Killer"
- Supreme Chefs: Doujima and Shinomiya are later revealed to have been the First Seat in their respective generations; the others hold a reputation of being Tootsuki's best students in a generation and are asked to be the judges during the training camp.
- Teen Genius: Aside of most having an Council of Ten Masters seat, all of them have the distinction of opening successful restaurants not long after graduating Tootsuki.
- Kojirou Shinomiya has the distinction of being the first Japanese Chef to win a Bocuse d'Or Medal in France.
- Both Taki Tsunosaki and Sonoka Kikuchi, only less than 4 years older than the 92nd Generation, managed to open succesful restaurants on their own.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: At the end of training camp, and after suffering hard challenges every single day, the students who pass get a special dinner made by the Legendary Alumni.
Owner of a French cuisine restaurant called Shino's
, Koujirou was a student of the 79th generation and held the first seat in the Council of Ten Masters Council.
Tropes associated with Koujirou Shinomiya:
- Break the Haughty: In his flashbacks, Koujirou was determined to start a restaurant in France. While moderately successful, his staff began dismissing him for being a foreigner, sabotaging his recettes to the point he almost went out of business. This is what makes him the hardened, stern chef he is now.
- The Cynic: Considers himself the only reliable person in the kitchen, believing the staff will bring him down.
- Deadpan Snarker
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Discussed by Gin, who wonders why Koujirou didn't prepare one of his special dishes in the unsanctioned Shokugeki against Soma and Megumi. Lampshaded by the other Legendary Alumni.
Koujirou: "My opponents are just students. Did you think I'd be so merciless?"
Hitoshi Sekimori: "He'd do it."
Donato: "He'd defeat them so easily that they can't ever cook again."
- Subverted when Gin deduces correctly it was a way for Koujirou to cover his stagnating culinary skills.
- Jerkass: Very proud and stubborn. During his assignment, he had the students cook a dish from his stock recipes, and when they seem troubled over the difficulty of the task, he taunted them on how simple the recipe is by his own standards.
- Jerkass Realization: During his match with Megumi, Shinomiya does a technically perfect dish that is far better than Megumi's elegant and supportive dish, netting him all three votes. However, Gin gives a bonus vote for her for thinking of the customer's needs and prompts Shinomiya to try it himself. When he does, he judges that it's far below the quality of what he made, but is cooked using a more flexible style intended to suit the tastes of those who eat it. He gives a bonus vote of his own to his competitor and when the score ends up tied following Inui's unofficial vote, he realizes he could both learn something from her and that failing her before really wasn't fair. He lets her pass.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Is the only examiner in the training camp who wears glasses, and considered the worst of the lot. He immediately expels a student before camp officially begins because the latter uses a strong-smelling shampoo, and "fires" Megumi for altering his recipe even though her reasons are justified and threatens to do the same to Soma for coming to her defense.
- French Cuisine Is Haughty: Already a French Cuisine expert as a student, Koujirou was convinced he was going to be successful in France as the best French-Japanese fusion chef. After a long struggle and Break the Haughty process, not only did he succeed, but he became more arrogant, as he refused any slight alterations to the recipes as he considered them already perfect.
- Freudian Excuse: Koujirou did his best to ensure Shino's would thrive, but the other French chefs disliked him for being a foreigner and wouldn't follow his recipe to the letter. He barely managed to keep it afloat after emotionally hardening himself, getting rid of anyone who questioned his skills in the kitchen. Unfortunately, being stuck with this mindset meant he refused to make exceptions or try other methods to his dishes after reaching the top, thus allowing his skills and standards to cease increasing over the years, collecting dust, so to speak.
- Goal in Life
- His primary motive was to be the first Japanese chef in France with the Bocuse d'Or Medal. After winning, he lacked a new motivation and kept cooking without improving.
- After his Heel Realization with Megumi's dish, Koujirou decides to be the first Japanese chef in France to achieve three stars (likely the Michelin format) for his restaurant.
- Gratuitous French: Occasionally uses French phrases, such as saying "recette" instead of recipe, and sarcastically refers to Gin as Monsieur when accepting the unofficial Shokugeki.
- Morton's Fork: Inflicted by him on Megumi, without telling her in advance. Produce a substandard dish because you are shoved away from the ingredients until only inferior ones are left? Fail for having a non-tasty dish; change the recipe slightly to improve the taste to compensate for inferior ingredients? Fail, because changing the recipe isn't allowed, and therefore, forbidden (as opposed to most challenges being "anything not forbidden is allowed").
- No Social Skills: Lampshaded by his peers before he leaves for France after graduating from Tootsuki.
Hinako: "Shinomiya-senpai isn't sociable so he definitely won't make any friends. I'm sure he'll also fight with the other staff!"
Fuyumi Mizuhara: "I agree with that..."
- Rich Boredom: After getting his Bocuse d'Or Medal, he becomes a stern chef who wouldn't alter his mindset or recipes for anything in the world.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With the Legendary Alumni, especially Hinako and Fuyumi. He and Hinako bicker a lot, while he enjoys provoking Fuyumi into cooking contests. When he had a phone conversation with Doujima and had to decline the judge chair, he also told Doujima to say Hi to both Hinako and Fuyumi.
- Would Hit a Girl: Played for Laughs as he shows no qualms in Dope Slapping Hinako.
General Head Chef of the Tootsuki Resort and a member of the board of directors, Gin supervises the training camp for the first-year students. A former roommate in the Polaris Dormitory with Jouichirou and Jun, he held the first seat of the Council of Ten Masters. Like Jouichirou, he was a student of the 69th generation.
Tropes associated with Gin Doujima:
- The Ace: Seems to be the head among the alumni. He was the first seat of the Council of Ten Masters Council during his time in Tootsuki, beating out Jouichirou who was only second seat. Jouichirou is currently considered a god in the cooking world.
- The Bus Came Back: The alumni are not expected to be seen again after the Training Camp, but he is later revealed to be the guest judge for the second round of the Fall Classic.
- Cool Teacher: He is capable of seeing how other people can be better chefs. Also, when asked why he still works for Tootsuki rather than opening his own restaurant, Gin always puts the students and the school as his first priority.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Fully supports this way of thinking. He called Megumi's hospitality a powerful weapon, and encouraged her to polish it. Two months later, Megumi is in the top eight of the first year cooks. It's been hinted that Jouichirou himself now cooks with kindness, and did not when he was in school, which is likely where Doujima got this belief from.
- Hyper Awareness: Gin is the first to notice Koujirou is preparing one of his basic dishes instead of going full-force against Soma and Megumi in the unofficial Shokugeki. Turns out Gin noticed this was a way for Koujirou to cover his stagnating skills.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's very well-built, and has been shown naked at least twice.
- Naked First Impression: How Soma meets Gin in the public bath.
- Rated M for Manly: Has a really muscular body with a similar masculine aura like Jouichirou.
- Reasonable Authority Figure:
- Although a tough judge as the other alumni, Gin recognizes determination and talent, particularly after Soma and Megumi lost the Shokugeki against Koujirou.
- In Chapter 92, he sees that putting a lot of pressure on Sonoka to break the tie between Akira and Ryou was unfair for her, so he convinced the Council of Ten Masters to make the Finals a Three-Way match between them and Soma.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Koujirou; this comes to a head when Gin specifically orchestrated the Shokugeki between him and Megumi - to give the latter a second chance and to get the former out of his creative rut.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: During reaction shots at least. Gin shows up, dressed as a magical girl when reacting to Shinomiya's dish and later appears dressed as a schoolgirl in his reaction to Soma's beef stew.
Proprietor of the Japanese cuisine restaurant "Kirinoya" and an alumnus of the 80th generation, also 2nd seat of the Elite 10 in her Generation.
Tropes associated with Hinako Inui:
- Ambiguously Bi: Hinako approaches Megumi with predatory eyes and constantly touches her hands.
- Cuteness Proximity: She gets easily distracted when Megumi is near, having to be reminded by the other Legendary Alumni to get back to supervising.
- Played with when she sees Megumi across the stadium and starts thinking how cute she is. Her gaze is so powerful that even Megumi, from afar, is perplexed about it.
- Happens also when she notices Taki smiling when tasting Soma's "Amusement Park Stew", and compliments with misty eyes how smooth her hands are.
- The Bus Came Back: Hinako, along with Fuyumi and Gin, are chosen to be judges for the Fall Classic 2nd round.
- Cry Cute: Shown crying during Koujirou's farewell/graduation, as he's leaving to France without telling her.
- Fangirl: Of Megumi's following the Shokugeki against Koujirou. When training camp is over, she, Hitoshi and Donato offer Megumi to do internships in their respective restaurants.
- Sempai/Kohai: The kohai of Gin, Koujirou and Fuyumi during high school
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She got this with Koujirou after graduating from Tootsuki, coupled with Volleying Insults.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Subverted. She may look gentle, but she's actually quite a tease - she purposely dwindled when asked to judge between Soma's and Takumi's dishes before hastily announcing a draw when her group was ordered to return to the HQ, and she seem to enjoy making fun of Shinomiya.
Owner of the French auberge Tesoro
and an alumnus of the 80th generation
Tropes associated with Donato Gotouda:
Owner of the Italian restaurant "Ristorante F" and an alumnus of the 79th generation. She's also the 2nd seat of the Council of Ten Masters in her generation, coming after Shinomiya.
Tropes associated with Fuyumi Mizuhara:
Owner of the sushi restaurant Ginza Hinora
Tropes associated with Hitoshi Sekimori:
- The Quiet One: He doesn't have a lot of lines compared to the other Alumnis introduced.
Former 88th Generation and Elite 10 member, owner of the Spanish restaurant "Taki Amarillo". She's invited to be guest judge for the Fall Classic 2nd round.
Tropes associated with Taki Tsunosaki:
- Establishing Character Moment: In her first appearance, she showed her Hot-Blooded persona when talking about Mimasaka, her bully qualities (by playing with Sonoka's boobs) and how she didn't respect Hinako as her senpai (but she does respect Fuyumi, though).
- Hot-Blooded: When she recalled how Mimasaka stained Takumi's Mezzaluna with gum, she started ranting about how she would beat him up until he learned not to mess up with her. Also she almost got into a fight with Kurokiba for yelling at her.
- Jerkass: She is constantly bullying Sonoka, disrespecting her senpais (mostly Hinako) and talking about beating up people she doesn't like. Also she started to berate Soma with only hearing his background as a cook from a Special-of-the-day shop.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: She's dark to Sonoka's light.
- Perpetual Frowner: Her introductory chapter shows her frowning most of the time while watching Soma and Subaru's showdown.
- Tsurime Eyes
- When She Smiles: It does happen once she tries the first bite of Soma's "Meat Amusement Park", to the point she hallucinates being a schoolgirl at the fair with the other judges. She, begrudgingly, gives her vote to Soma, in spite of having predicted that he was going to be defeated. Hinako is quick to notice how cute she got, to Taki's embarrassment.
Former 89th Generation and Elite 10 member, owner of the Western Style restaurant "Shunkatei". She's invited to be guest judge for the Fall Classic 2nd round.
Tropes associated with Sonoka Kikuchi:
- Extreme Doormat: For being a former 2nd Seat of the Council of Ten Masters, she's quite submissive. Taki bullies her by calling her "Tit Monster" and she got easily intimidated when Ryou yelled at her to already give her vote and the audience started to criticize her for not making a choice quickly, in both occasions being reduced to tears.
- Foil: To Taki. While Taki is severe looking and flat, she is more mild-mannered and more endowed.
- Gag Boobs: Even Taki started playing with her chest.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: She's light to Taki's dark.
- Nervous Wreck: To decide the result of Akira and Ryou's match, Sonoka crumbles under the pressure of deciding who had to win, to the point the viewers and Ryou himself were pushing her around. It was only because of Doujima's intervention that she didn't break in tears.
- Shrinking Violet: She gets easily intimidated by Taki.
Director and Teachers
Headmaster of Tootsuki and Erina's grandfather.
Tropes associated with Senzaemon Nakiri:
- Badass Grandpa: Via his sheer appearance and intimidating aura.
- Badass Beard
- Family Business: The Nakiris come from a long tradition of High-class chefs, with Senzaemon Nakiri as the Principal of the School, Erina being a Top Consultant thanks to her "God's Tongue" and Alice having patents and degrees in Molecular Gastronomy just like her mother.
- Fundoshi: Wears one of these. Cooks with limitless potential can make him subconciously untie it rather than remove his shirt, as Tadokoro did.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Everything he does. The man could rival Gai in dramatics.
- Rated M for Manly: He is pretty muscular and has a very intimidating presence. Also everytime he tastes a good dish, he would strip and reveal his muscles as an approval sign.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Senzaemon accepts Soma's application and Erina's requirements for entry into Tootsuki despite her objections because the boy can cook.
- Red Baron: "Gastric Godfather".
- Shirtless Scene: He has the tendency to strip his upperbody when he eats a good dish.
A stern French chef and lecturer at Tootsuki and head of its French Cuisine Division.
Tropes associated with Roland Chapelle:
- French Jerk: Nicknamed "The Chef Who Doesn't Smile" because his standards are ridiculously high. To emphasize, he states any dish that doesn't reach a grade of "A" is an automatic "E".
- Perpetual Frowner
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Even though he's incredibly strict, he does recognize talent. For example, he noticed Ikumi's growth as a meat chef during the Fall Classic.
- Stern Teacher: Has very high standards and very few students can get a smile out of him.
- When He Smiles: In a rare occasion, Soma and Megumi's beef bourguignon made him smile in front of the class.
Former alumnus of Tootsuki's 74th generation who became a professor at the school, teaching second-year high school classes, Jun is a former roommate at the Polaris Dormitory with Jouichirou and Gin.
Tropes associated with Jun Shiomi:
- Berserk Button: Never mention Jouichirou's name in front of her
- Disproportionate Retribution: No sooner that Soma mentions he's Jouichirou's son, she punches him without warning. If that isn't enough, Jun flat out refuses to help him in his spice studies simply because he is Jouichirou's son.
- First Name Basis: Akira uses her first name, much to her chagrin.
- Foil: To Akira - both know their spices, but Jun puts it into theory, while Akira takes a hands-on, practical approach. Unlike the mature, reliable, street smart, cool and down-to-earth Akira, Jun is naive, ditzy, easily angered and dependent.
- Fun Size: Even when Akira was a boy, he was One Head Taller than her.
- Genius Ditz: Jun discovered many formulas and scientific research on spices, but forgets everything else outside of her studies. This is why she relies on Akira to assist her.
- Back when she adopted Akira, she made him a bedroom using Baby magazines as references.
- Noodle Incident: Jouichirou used her for his cooking experiments when they were students; whatever he did was something traumatic enough that it makes her hate him and anything to do with him in the present.
- Older Than They Look: Despite being roughly the same age as Gin and Jouichirou, she still looks like a middle schooler.
- When Akira was a child, he thought she was a wandering minor alone in a dangerous market. Naturally, he's surprised when Jun tells him she's 26 years-old.
- Parental Substitute: Jun took Akira under her wing and served as both his mentor and mother figure.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Akira
- Sensei-chan: 34 years old and looks like a middleschooler, unmarried, her best student has a First Name Basis with her and she's very Hot-Blooded and impulsive.
- Techno Babble: Jun gets into this mode when explaining theories about spices. Akira is tasked with translating it into practical use.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- The Unapologetic: She doesn't apologize to Soma for decking him when he mentions his father; hell, she refuses to aid him because he's his father's son. Subverted when Akira tells her to apologize, reminding her of her duties and manners as a teacher, but also because she accidentally hits Soma later in the stomach with the door knob.
Other Tootsuki Personnel
Housekeeper of the Polaris Dormitory.
Tropes associated with Fumio Daimidou:
- Cool Old Lady: Supports the residents and lets them have parties at night
- Glory Days: Fumio constantly talks of a generation of Polaris residents who were all part of the Council of Ten Masters.
- I Was Quite a Looker: If the flashbacks (or "food induced regression") are any indication, she was this in her youth.
- Kindly Housekeeper: Played with; Fumio allows anyone to stay, provided they make her a good dish. Supposedly, it took three months for Megumi to please her.
- Parental Substitute: She's the only adult in the dorm
- Red Baron: "Polaris Maria" and "Polaris Grandma"
- Team Mom: Has a good relationship with the residents and roots for them to pass their challenges. She even keeps in touch with previous students like Gin and Jouichirou.
The president of the Shokugeki Administration Bureau.
Tropes associated with Hisanao Kageura:
Leonora Nakiri is Alice Nakiri's mother, the head of Tootsuki's Research Division Nakiri International
and a guest judge for the final round of the 43rd Annual Tōtsuki Autumn Election.
Tropes associated with Leonora Nakiri:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: She mentions on the open that, right after Alice lost her match against Soma, she called her mother to cry and whine for straight nine hours over long-distance call. Alice is notably annoyed by this.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She tells Soma if his dish isn't delicious, she will be angry. While keeping a smiling face.
- Ditzy Genius: Althought she speaks in very basic and broken Japanese that sounds cute to many and Alice notes that her perception of Japan is romanticizednote , she is the current Research Division Head of Tootsuki International in Denmark and part of the Nakiri Family.
- Eating the Eye Candy: She openly comments how hot Soma, Ryou and Akira look while cooking, to which Alice jokingly calls her a "cougar".
- Foreign Fanservice: Aside for being stunningly beautiful with white air and skin, her other main charm is her broken japanese, which many in the audience find cute.
- Funny Foreigner: After doing an elegant entrance, leaving breathless everyone by how beautiful she is, she suddenly starts talking with broken Japanese and a goofy face. Some even comment that only she can make that sound charming.
- Also her funny moments come from her language barriers, like thinking Erina called her "grandma" or how eating gloriously delicious dishes makes her speak fluently about it.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: She arrives wearing a purple dress.
- Intimidation Demonstration: When talking to Soma, as she's interested in the person who defeated her daughter in the preliminarily round of Fall Classic. Even her weak Japanese suddenly got better.
- Ms. Fanservice: The first comment from almost everyone in the audience when she enters the arena.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Just like Alice.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Phoentically, the "o" in her name is written as "ō", which equates to "ou".
- Stacy's Mom: The reaction of many people from the audience. And the readers.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She is basically a grown-up Alice.
The Town in General
Jouichirou Yukihira/Jouichirou Saiba
Soma's father, head chef and proprietor of Yukihira
, Jouichirou travels overseas to cook and leaves his son to study and refine his culinary skills at Tootsuki. A former student from the 70th generation at the elite high school, Jouichirou was the second Seat in the Council of Ten Masters, yet he states he never graduated from the program. Despite not being an alumnus, his reputation aboard and among certain circles has established him as a world-class legendary chef.
Tropes associated with Jouichirou Yukihira:
- Almighty Janitor: He's spent much of the the series either wandering or running the small "special of the day" shop. Nevertheless, Jouichirou's an extremely talented world-class chef and former member of Tootsuki's Council of Ten Masters.
- This indirectly serves as a benefit to Soma, teaching him to cook for all customers, resulting in his son treating every person equally regardless of status.
- Animal Motifs: Fumio often compares him to a stray cat - he "always goes his own way to anywhere".
- Badass: Easily one of the best chefs in the series, if not the best.
- Badass Beard: He shaves it in the pilot, but grows is back when he visits the Polaris Dormitory after training camp.
- Bishounen: When he was enrolled at Tootsuki
- The Bus Came Back: Post-training camp, but he doesn't stay for long.
- Irony: Erina judges all chefs by the standards of Jouichirou Saiba, the Asura of the cooking world, and despises Soma for being okay with and learning from his mistakes. Soma is a Generation Xerox of his father in terms of cooking style, right down to learning from his mistakes.
- Like Father, Like Son: Jouichirou makes it obviously clear to the Polaris residents where Soma gets his personality quirks from, including how both of them are Cordon Bleugh Chefs/Lethal Chefs. Later emphasized when Jouichirou tells his son the room he is using in the dormitory is the same one he used when he was at Tootsuki.
- The Maiden Name Debate: He took the name of his wife, which explains why most people do not recognize Soma as his son.
- No Badass to His Valet: In-Universe, Jouichirou is easily one of the best chefs in the series with incredibly desirable food. He even holds the admiration of Erina. To Soma and Polaris Dormitory, his quirks and habits are more acknowledged.
- The Power of Love: Invoked at the end of the first chapter, telling Soma "...the secret to becoming a good chef is meeting a woman that will make you want to give all the food you make her." Unfortunately, his son hangs up the phone call before hearing his advice.
- Rated M for Manly: Due to his appearance, physique and incredibly masculine aura.
- Red Baron: "Asura of Cookery"note and "Wandering Chef"
- Supreme Chef: Jouichirou holds a distinction where doctors, politicians and a priest want a taste of his dishes. He was also the 2nd Seat of the Council of Ten Masters in his generation. And Erina loves his dishes.
- Took a Level in Kindness: According to Fumio, Jouichirou has taken this approach in the present with his dishes compared to his days in the past.
- Trickster Mentor: For Soma, who gives him a meager allowance once in a while (despite traveling and working around the world).
- Walking the Earth: He's constantly traveling around the world, hence his nickname the "Wandering Chef".
Soma's childhood friend and regular client of the Yukihira
, Mayumi appears in the pilot chapter, but lacks presence in the story.
Tropes associated with Mayumi Kurase:
- Advertised Extra: Judging by her appearance on the Shonen Jump front cover with Soma and Erina, one would think she was meant to be a heroine.. However, Mayumi does not reappear until Soma returns to the Yukihira, and disappears from the story again when Soma returns to Tootsuki. Suspiciously Similar Substitute is in play when Megumi is essentially a replacement of her.
- Butt Monkey: Frequently a victim of Soma's experiments before he left for Tootsuki.
- Can Not Spit It Out: Her classmate Aki tries to encourage her to confess to Soma before he departs for Tootsuki. Even when Soma returns briefly, she still keeps quiet about her crush on him.
- Can't Catch Up: The way she feels when Soma starts attending a super-chef academy, especially reinforced when Ikumi is brought on-board to help him with the district store owners, who is physically stunning and skilled in culinary. Mayumi, however, wants to help Soma in any way possible.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: She admits to herself that Soma's squid experiments taste a bit good. Since the reaction to his experiments are akin to being groped by tentacles, she states she likes it happening to her, which implies she may be a Covert Pervert.
- Fangirl: Of Soma
- Foil: While both are the same age and share a crush for Soma, Mayumi is shy, small and petite compared to The Lad-ette Ikumi.
- Nice Girl
- Ordinary High-School Student: How she feels when Soma returns to town and meets Ikumi, both coming from a "super-school of chefs".
- The Reliable One: Soma tells her he always noticed how Mayumi takes care of everything back in elementary school, which is why he trusts her with helping the Sumire shop and their karaage business before he returns to Tootsuki.
- Shrinking Violet
- Tareme Eyes
- Those Two Girls: With her classmate Aki, another regular costumer of Yukihira.
DEF Kitchen Children
The DEF Kitchen has classes to teach young children from grades Kindergarten to the 2nd grade how to cook. There is also a class for housewives and middle aged women. The vegetables used in the classroom are supplied by Satoshi Isshiki who sells the vegetables grown in the Polar Star Dormitory plantation. Satoshi helps the school, usually teaching the housewives class due to his popularity with them. Another woman teaches the children's class. Soma and Megumi act as substitute teachers for the children for a day and managed to get the kids interested in cooking by different methods.
Tropes associated with the children:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Many of the kids tended to play with their toys or the instruments instead of doing the classes. Soma and Megumi managed to get their attention by carving the vegetables into cartoon figures. In the case of Shouta, the teacher gets impressed when Soma actually managed to make him focus on cutting vegetables himself.
- Bratty Half-Pint: As noted quickly, Kanon is also the eldest kid in the class (12 years old). She took the longest to open to Soma.
- Cheerful Child: The class is full of them. Kanon has trouble admitting it, thought.
- Chekhov's Gift: Although it isn't mentioned until Chapter 63, Soma tells Ryoko that the kids gave him a lot of candy, including educational candy◊, which gives Soma an inspiration for his bento in the quarterfinals.
- Fragile Flower: According to the teacher, Ai-chan is very prone to crying, until Megumi gives her more confidence to handle the knife.
- Girlish Pigtails: Kanon, who also wears Proper Tights with a Skirt.
- Mouthy Kid: Kanon is more prominent, as she interrupted Megumi's intents to encourage her.
- Tsundere: Kanon is very cold and aloof until Soma manages to catch her interest in cooking.
Yaeko Minegasaki is a ruthless business woman. Her main goal is to develop as much developments as possible despite the fact that it may put others out of business and their own homes. Her latest target was Restaurant Yukihira until Sōma's dish put an end to her endeavors.
Tropes associated with Yaeko Minegasaki:
- Alpha Bitch: She doesn't stop until she gets what she wants, has two mooks around her and doesn't hesitate to play dirty.
- Insult Backfire: Intending to offend Soma, she calls Yukihira's a "failure". Right after, Soma taunts her by telling that the addictive dish she liked so much originated by a "failure".
- Ms. Fanservice: Aside from being very well endowed, she also becomes the first one to be subjected to a "foodgasm scene".
- Starter Villain: She and her team are the first task Soma faces to protect his restaurant.
Yoshiaki Nikaidō is one of the students who attempted to enter Tōtsuki Culinary Academy alongside Sōma Yukihira. His family owns a French restaurant.
Tropes associated with Yoshiaki Nikaido:
- Jerkass: Only hearing Soma's restaurant is an Special-Of-The-Day, he kicked him off the bench and insulted him.
- Spoiled Brat: Like many of the rich kids that intend to study at Tootsuki, Nikaido snubs Soma as soon as he learns his origins and starts crying to his parents over the phone once Erina was revealed as his examiner.
- Upper-Class Twit: His first scene shows him drinking a cup of tea on a bench while waiting for his entrance examination. When meeting Soma, he immediately assumes Soma's restaurant must be a High-Class one like his, only to reject him immediately once he is told it's just a middle-class business.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Not only he is a One-Shot Character, but he also fled from the entrance exam before showing some skills.
Fall Classic Judges (Preliminary Round)
A selection of ten special guests divided into two blocks, they are the judges for the Fall Classic preliminaries. The most featured of the judging panel are the twin sisters Natsume and Orie Sendawara, former poster-children and current head-owners of the Haubii Foodstuff. They are accompanied by Osaji Kita, sponsor of the "Kita Gastronomy Club", Shingo Andou, essayist of fine cuisine and influential food critic, Makito Miyatozaka, executive producer of the food-based television Show "Is That A Kitchen?", gourmet Shigenoshin Kouda and four other judges
Tropes associated with the preliminary Fall Classic Judges:
- Broken Base: In-universe, during the preliminaries, the judges are heavily divided over which curry dish is better: Soma's or Akira Hayama's. While the latter "wins" by one point more than the former, the former has three judges awarding him higher individual scores.
- Caustic Critic: Although the Classic participants are afraid of the Sendawara sisters as judges, the other judges are equally, if not, more stern than the twins.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Little by little, the judges start literally melting away because of how delicious the dishes are becoming from the top competitors.
- When the audience begins dishing out Megumi as a "dunce, uninteresting participant", Orie notices Megumi carving a hanging monkfish and tries to get to the arena at any cost for a closer look, a sign she is getting impressed with the competition.
- After a while of not giving high points, Natsume starts getting consecutive foodgasms from the skilled participants.
- When commenting about Yuuki's "Wild Game" curry, Osaji Kita invites Yuuki to visit his Gourmet Club anyday, while Shingo Andou lightly blushes, attributing the tasty dish to Yuuki's perky personality.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: The Sendawara twins are supposed to be identical (as can be seen in their childhood picture), but they have different hairstyles and wears very different clothing, so their appearance are distinct from each other.
- I'm Taking Him Home With Me: Orie offers Satoshi to ditch Tootsuki to work for her, with a salary bonus as an added incentive; he declines. Likewise, Natsume offers Akira a spot in her company, but his refusal makes her want him even more.
- Literal Metaphor: Invoked by three of the judges' reaction after tasting Soma's dish, which causes such an impact on them that they can feel it like punches.
- Ms. Fanservice: The Sendawara twins, a pair of beautiful Ojous who arrive in revealing dresses and is treated as celebrities by the student body.
- Nosebleed: One of the judges has this when watching Miyoko cook
- Picky Eater
- The panel; while the twins are seen as the only difficult ones, competitors discover the other judges can be as critical as the sisters.
- Osaji Kita, after complimenting one competitor for his work, awards a very low score, reminding the student he cannot serve something meager when each judge expects a world-class gourmet. To that end, Natsume refuses to give a single point or take more than a bite unless it's visually spectacular.
- Even when the most talented first-years serve their dishes, the judges can still identity flaws and award a less-than-perfect score, which is scary as even a single point is the difference between making it to the next round of the Fall Classic or not.
- Ojou: The twins, Orie and Natsume Sendawara, are the CEOs of a famous curry brand and definitely very rich and important. They seem to view the competitors as pets they can purchase at whim, and have a very high standard for the curry dishes.
- Out of Focus: The four unnamed judges. Lampshaded by Makito towards one of them, "Shut up, minor character!"
- Picky Eater: Aside from Natsume (who didn't give a single point until Ryou's dish) and Orie, Osaji compliments the first competitor for his techniques, before awarding a meager total of 33 points, arguing while the dish is good, it comes from a mere student.
- Spoiled Brat/Rich Bitch: The twins; justified since they're the sponsors for the Fall Classic. This comes to a head when Orie starts asking for the profiles of all the best students in the competition akin to picking pets from the store.
- Stunned Silence: The reaction the judges of the B Group get from Alice's dish. Even renowned Food Critic and essayist Shingo Andou is left speechless, with no words to describe the experience.
- The Quiet One: Shingo Andou, whom Osaji describes as "like a dead tree" and speaks mostly in whispers.
Fall Classic Judges (Main Tournament)
For the main event of the Fall Classic, The judges were also special guests connected to the school. From the named judges, the most prominent were Senzaemon Nakiri (the school principal), Gin Doujima, Hinako Inui, Fuyumi Mizuhara, Taki Tsunosaki and Sonoka Kikuchi (all of them former Council members).
Tropes associated with the Fall Classic Judges:
- No Name Given: Except for Principal Senzaemon Nakiri and the former Council Masters members, none of them were named in the story.
- Happy Flashback: The judges' reaction to Soma's bento, which made them feel like kids again.
- Honor Before Reason: Subverted. The judges were reluctant to give the win to Subaru Mimasaka over Takumi Aldini, since they stated their disgust over his dirty methods, but had to judge based on the results.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: As mentioned above, they did find dishonest the lack of moral in Subaru copying other chef's style, but had to play by the rules and be objective.