Characters: Shokugeki no Soma
This is a list of characters for the manga series Shokugeki no Soma.
open/close all folders
- Accidental Pervert: On his first night at the Polaris Dormitory he walks in on a naked Megumi.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Soma gets this reception before he is enrolled into Tootsuki. Everyone figures he's a small fry since he comes from a simple family restaurant. And this continues after his enrollment, as the Badass Boast speech he made for his introduction pisses everyone else present in the ceremony.
- Badass: Possesses uncanny culinary skills and techniques, backed by an indomitable aura, who knows how impress the audience, judges and opponents.
- Badass Boast: When Erina states how most Tootsuki applicants received gifted education in ultra-fine gastronomy in their middle-school years, Soma declares he's lived in a kitchen for twelve years and was already holding a knife as a three-year-old. This is also the crux of his introduction to his fellow freshmen as a transferee, stating that he will use the other 99% as "stepping stones" to reach the top. Everybody in Tootsuki now knows who Soma is.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Soma's creativity allows him to utilize some of the techniques of his opponents, whether it be against them in their own match or against new rivals.
- Against Ikumi, he managed to beat her special meat dish by complementing the rice and meat to create a more unified and addicting flavor.
- In the first Fall Classic match, he used a simple molecular gastronomy technique to beat Alice's more exquisite bento.
- Subverted in the Fall Classic Preliminary Round, where his curry dish almost won against curry specialist Akira Hayama, but although more of the panelists have preferred Soma's dish, his score still ended up losing by one point to Akira and tying with Ryou.
- To increase the level of the Shokugeki, Soma informed Subaru that he had planned to make "Beef Stew" as his entry for the Semifinals, also challenging himself, well aware that the latter will copy him anyway.
- Book Dumb: Soma lacks the knowledge of some of the finer aspects of cooking, but makes up for it with his willingness to experiment. It's emphasized that despite not having attended culinary school before, he's had enough hands-on experience in his family restaurant to be more than a match for his peers.
- It's often shown that he knows a variety of culinary skills from a variety of cultures, he just has no idea that's what they are as he picked them up from cooking with his dad or by experimenting as a kid. He then gets surprised when he finds out that the skill he used is a well known and skilful technique
- Brutal Honesty: Soma calls things exactly as he sees them. His father points out that this is what makes him such a skilled chef — he's not talented, just really honest with his current limitations. He will also go and say whatever he is thinking, mostly challenge any superior chef without hesitation.
- Captain Oblivious: Zigzagged with regards to his father, as he doesn't know he's globally famous despite seeing photos of him with foreigners and taking phone calls from people who speak different languages.
- He also genuinely doesn't notice that the entire school hates him because of his presentation speech. This is shown twice — When Kanachi asks him how did he get so many haters in less than a month, to which Soma replies he doesn't know. Also at the first day of the Training Camp, everyone is glaring at him, with the Polaris girls and Ikumi warning Soma to be careful. Soma looks confused by this.
- Catch Phrase: "Happy to serve!"; turns into Borrowed Catchphrase as his father also uses it.
- Challenge Seeker: If he encounters someone that can do what he wants to learn, Soma is ready to give them the fight in that field. This goes Up to Eleven upon his return from Stagiaire Week, where he immediately accepts Shokugekis from second-years. And, to Megumi's horror, the first thing he does when he and his fellow top freshmen (including Erina) meet the Elite Ten for the Red Leaf Hunt is to request a Shokugeki against any member of their ranks (though they flatly refused).
- Character Development: Though he doesn't realize the true significance of the change, after Akira defeats him in the Fall Classic, he tells Jouichirou over the phone that he wants to stay at Tootsuki to prove himself worthy of their family name. Before this, any loss was either against someone with vastly more experience, subjective or thanks to him feeling he hadn't done as well as he could have.
- Character Title: The series is called Shokugeki no Soma, but his name is either written as "Sōma" or "Souma". The word "soma" means "spirit", thus the title means "cooking spirit", a direct pun on his official localized name "Soma".
- Chaste Hero: As he is Oblivious to Love, he also shows no interest at all in love. He thinks Ikumi and Mayumi's reactions to each other are just "they are not getting along", is amazed at the new concept of "cooking for the loved person" when Megumi tells this and treats everyone with the same friendly attitude regardless of the gender, not showing reaction to all the blatant Male Gaze around.
- Cool Bike: There's an art of Soma with a delivery motorbike around the Fall Classic arc. Then we get to see him riding a scooter bike, with the narration explaining that he decided to get one with a license because the campus is too big.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: He likes to experiment with strange food combinations that would result in a horrible-tasting dish, such as his "squid with peanut butter".
- Delayed Reaction: When he walks in on his dad in the Polaris kitchen, he just begins helping out without thinking, not reacting properly until the next page.
- Determinator: Soma's greatest strength is his refusal to give up against a superior opponent. It helps him keep calm and continue improving himself long after everyone else will simply quit. Despite his irritation at having lost to his father nearly five hundred times, he still takes every match completely seriously, always intending to win. He also keeps working right to the last minute for his match against Subaru and in the next match after that he manages to match two specialists through sheer trial-and-error testing.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Subverted. Even when he did many awesome tasks, the average student body still looks down on him. Even when most of the school snubs him, Soma doesn't care at all about this. Furthering the subversion is the gradual change of heart of many of his schoolmates, more so after he defeated Subaru and forced him to return all the knives he took from his past opponents.
- Establishing Character Moment: Soma tries out one of his new dishes (squid tentacles with peanut butter) before feeding it to his classmate, which showcases his quirks as a chef. In a subsequent scene, he astutely notes his mistakes after his match with his father, which displays a bit of a quieter side. Not to mention his incredible improvised meat dish against realtors, which cements himself as an unorthodox but highly determined chef.
- The Everyman: While he doesn't have a specialty like other characters, his signature style seems to revolve around common, homey dishes. It gets Lampshaded in later chapters when people start referring to his food as having "the flavor of the masses."
- Friendly Rivalry: It's almost impossible to make enemies with Soma, since he always ends up befriending or getting along with his opponents: he can hold a normal conversation with Erina, has Ikumi falling for him, becomes buddies with Takumi, gets orientation from Akira, talks friendly with Alice during the match, compliments Subaru's motorcycle, and later hangs out with both Akira and Ryou after their Fall Classic match.
- Friend to All Children: He's surprisingly good with kids, knowing a lot of little visual tricks with cooking that help grab their attention.
- During the breakfast buffet trial at training camp, he calls a shy little girl to try his omelette breakfast by showcasing it as a "magic trick".
- At a community cooking school where Satoshi works part-time, he and Megumi get the children's attention by appealing to what they find cool, and later encourage them to do their assignments by various methods.
- Generation Xerox: Zigzagged, with regards to his father Jouichirou. On one hand he's exactly his dad when he was his age, and both share the same quirks, a fact not lost on Jouichirou's old classmate Gin. On the other hand, he has none of his father's brashness in his youth, instead bringing his mellowed-out personality (as a father) by the time he enters Tootsuki.
- Also he seems to be this with Koujirou Shinomiya, even when they are not related. Both are highly competitive redheads with cocky attitude at the school. Also both of them have formed rivalries with the Ice Queens of their generations (Erina and Fuyumi, respectively) and after learning all he could at SHINO's, Soma decided to do the same as Koujirou and learn every skill he can.
- Good Is Not Dumb: An establishing moment of this trait came from the Sumire District arc, where he pointed out the fact that customers (or people) are greedy in nature.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He bears a diagonal one across his left eyebrow.
- Graceful Loser: He takes 490 consecutive losses to his father well, and is a good sport to boot. At worst he vents his frustrations on his food — for example, Satoshi noted that his latest dish was a combination of his latest losing meals (the omelette from the breakfast buffet trial and the apple risotto from his latest defeat to his father).
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Averted. While a quick and flexible thinker, Souma clearly lacks the natural talent of someone like Erina, the specialist knowledge of Alice or even experience with cuisine outside of cheap Japanese foods. However, his twelve years' worth of hands-on experience in the kitchen proves to be a great asset from the beginning, making him a flexible thinker that copes well with pressure and works constantly to improve himself. This allows him to be one of the top five cooks of his year, but precisely because he lacks the obvious natural gifts of someone like Hayama the other students resent and belittle him. They look forward to seeing him fail out because acknowledging his ability would be the same as admitting that they just don't work hard enough.
- The Hero: He's the protagonist, and his talents in cooking and his overall genial personality attracts no shortage of friends and rivals. Satoshi implies that his uniqueness may bring about larger changes in Tootsuki.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: As noted by Satoshi, almost every school publication spends time either criticizing or dismissing Soma's relevance (for example, by picking bad photos of him or giving more spotlight to the other contestants). The only journalist who genuinely likes him is Mitsuru. It's justified since the negative articles against Soma are the most requested by the student body in part due to him rubbing them off the wrong way with his introduction speech, and because acknowledging his strengths would also mean doing the same for their own weaknesses.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: This happens at one point during the breakfast trial. His desire to create a surprising dish (based on his experience) also meant it wasn't suitable for a buffet trial. He manages to barely pass using improvisation and showmanship.
- Hope Bringer: Soma is the kind of person that not only gets along with anyone, but also brings out the best of them.
- His victory over Ikumi made her a nicer person and allowed her to accept herself without having to be tough, and by the terms of the shokugeki, her having to join the don club has made her start being more adventurous in regards of creating new, more adventurous dishes.
- He gradually influenced Megumi into breaking out of her shyness and finding the courage to stand out on her own.
- Despite winning against Subaru, he nevertheless encouraged the latter to keep trying and that defeats are not the end.
- After helping her survive their Stagiaire (OJT) at a struggling restaurant, he encourages Hisako not to give up on her friendship with Erina and rise above the pain of losing to a superior cook.
- Satoshi perceived from the beginning that Soma was destined to bring change to Tootsuki and hopes the rest of the student body will step up their game, regardless of who he is fighting against. It's also implied Senzaemon has this opinion of him, particularly after his opening speech.
- Insufferable Genius: From the perspective of the average student, Soma is borderline arrogant and condescending to people without real work experience. They always want him to be shown to be nothing special, but he keeps performing admirably until they have to grudgingly admit that he really is good. Subverted, when it is pointed out that his greatest strength is that he can objectively look at himself, seeing where his limits are and where there's still room for improvement.
- Insult Backfire: When the loan shark claims the Yukihira is nothing but a failure, Soma presents her with an extremely delicious dish, explaining it was inspired by an accident, i.e. from a failure.
- I Resemble That Remark: Denies being a sore loser, then corrects his dad on how many times he’s lost to him because he doesn’t want him to think he’s already won 500 times in a row.
- Last Name Basis: Soma calls almost everyone by their surname, except Takumi, Fumio (to whom he applies the suffix "-san"), Ikumi (whom he nicknames "Nikumi") and Alice (who he labels as "Nakiri's cousin").
- Logical Weakness: Souma's experience in his father's restaurant serves him well, but only if the situation is similar to what he encountered while working there, otherwise it can work to his disadvantage by giving him false assumptions. During the buffet challenge he almost failed because he didn't consider whether his dish can keep on a heating plate, something largely irrelevant in Yukihira but absolutely crucial in a buffet. He's also unused to handling tasks as complicated and demanding as multiple course meals and really struggles during the Fall Classic semifinals because he's not used to making meals designed to have immediate, powerful impact rather than milder food meant to be eaten regularly.
- MacGyvering: Soma can make any dish taste incredible, even when the barest of ingredients are available. For example, in Fumio's entry test to the Polaris Dormitory, he makes a hamburger with canned mackerel, eggs, onions and panko, and also uses the liquid with the canned mackerel with ponzu to create a sauce for the hamburger.
- Missing Mom: His mother, an indirect Plot Point, as he took his mother's surname "Yukihira" instead of his father's "Saiba". His father mentions later on that he goes by Yukihira now too, though he's still known the world over as Saiba.
- Mundane Made Awesome: While his competitors will use financially expensive ingredients, yet rich in flavor, Soma can pull off the same result by buying affordable items from the local supermarket and any leftovers.
- In his Shokugeki against Ikumi, Soma uses a discounted beef from a supermarket to go against the grade A5 beef — which is probably the best quality of beef that can be found — the former uses.
- When Soma is paired against the showy Alice, Soma opts for a Nori bento, which is considered the most basic kind. Soma then makes this bento "evolve".
- He doesn't know how to pick out the best seafood, so instead he opts to try various styles of curing instead. His dish is judged as being by far the most creative and at least on par with the other dishes he was competing against though he stills fails to win.
- Naïve Newcomer: Subverted; he's impressed with every new fact he discovers from Tootsuki or his roommates, but he gets used to it in less than three panels.
- Naked First Impression: Downplayed, as they already met in class, but he was seen naked by Megumi when he walks in on her on the bath on his first night at the Polaris Dormitory.
- Nerves of Steel: His father taught him how to stay calm under pressure and, when combined with his experience in the kitchen, helps him keep his cool during high-profile matches. During the breakfast selection during the training camp he makes a mistake in his choice of menu, but quick thinking at the last minute allows him to come up with a new approach and attract nearly 200 customers in only half an hour. In the process, he managed to keep refining and improving his technique. All around him, other people had given up or were panicking, but he remained calm and focused, for which Gin praises him.
- New Transfer Student: Soma transferred to Tootsuki at the beginning of his first-year in high school. It is not unusual, except Tootsuki also has a middle-school campus, and the majority of tenth-graders hail from there.
- Nice Guy: He's an easy-going and friendly guy at heart who gets along with other classmates. He even befriends his rivals in his cooking duels as well.
- No Fame, No Wealth, No Service: Most of the school looks down on him because of his humble origins, compared to the many heirs of wealthy restaurants.
- Nom de Mom: His father's family name is "Saiba", but since he and his father took "Yukihira" from Jouichirou's wife, nobody realizes that Soma is his son.
- Non-Uniform Uniform: Soma wears his shirts open with a dark t-shirt inside (long-sleeved when getting colder) and no tie.
- Oblivious to Love: As of the Fall Classic, at least two girls have a crush on him, yet he can't tell, since he's focused on two things: surviving school and surpassing his dad. That's it.
- Power Copying: Not as blatant as Subaru, but he's pretty good at getting inspirations from other dishes and/or concepts. He used Alice's own molecular gastronomy technique against her (sodium alginate and calcium chloride), and against Subaru, he used Hisako's technique to thicken his own stew using collagen in beef tail. However, this trait eventually leads him to failing to win the Fall Classic. Nothing he makes is really unique to him, so even if he can make food on par with other cooks he still hasn't grown as much as they have.
- Red-Headed Hero: Even though he is a shounen hero, he's not the typical Fiery Redhead and is fairly cool-headed in every situation.
- Running Gag: Every time Erina tries to tell him how terrible he is, he just laughs it off or ignores it. When she keeps it up, he eventually notes that having a normal conversation with her is pretty difficult.
- Second Place Is for Losers: He gets incredibly frustrated at any perceived loss, no matter who his opponent is. When he loses to Shinomiya, he waits until Megumi is gone before slamming his hand on the wall hard enough to hurt himself. When he gets second place against Akira in the Fall Classic he's angry that he didn't get perfect scores across the board, despite only losing by one point to a specialist on his home ground. Losing again in the finals is a bit different, however. He's still bitter, but he also acknowledges that Akira's cooking has something he lacks.
- Showy Invincible Hero: Played with; there are many opportunities for students to get expelled at Tootsuki, thus Soma has to put his cooking experience to the test and improvise when he can to win, yet there are a few moments where he doesn't "entirely succeed".
- Spell My Name with an "S": Phonetically, the "o" in his name is written as "ō", which equates to "ou". Both are correct, but the series' title uses the word "soma" for "spirit", a pun on his name. The English localization uses the latter.
- Taught by Experience: The crux of his skills; however, even though he's worked in a kitchen for twelve years, he has much to learn, but Soma's a very quick learner and knows how to make his mistakes curb in his favor. After losing to Akira in the Fall Classic, Soma voluntarily subjects himself to intense training under Koujirou's guidance for his second Stagiaire Week shift, and upon returning he sets his Shokugeki conditions to have his defeated opponents teach him their techniques.
- Transfer Student Uniforms: The jacket he wears seems to be the black gakuran from his previous school, while the Tootsuki high school jacket is navy blue with white borders on the collar, with pleaded brown pants and tie.
- Underdogs Never Lose: Zigzagged. Souma is constantly being labelled by other students for being the nobody from a small restaurant, yet consistently performed better than most of the other students in his year. He managed to beat Ikumi in a Shokugeki, ties with Takumi for their unofficial contest in the summer training camp, and later beats Alice Nakiri and Subaru Mimasaka in the Fall Classic Finals — both of whom were considered to be leagues above Souma. However, he also lost in an unofficial Shokugeki against Koujirou, scored lower than Akira in the Fall Classic preliminaries and eventually lost out to him by one point in the finals.
- Undying Loyalty: He will defend the name of Yukihira at any cost; this extends to his neighborhood and classmates from his old school.
- Unknown Rival
- He sees Erina as a goal for his cooking. She sees him as an eyesore that stubbornly refuses to go away. When he makes it to the Fall Classic finals he proclaims that he's now only one step below her. Not only does she scoff at his declaration, but she cares so little about it that she continues on to demand the shoujo manga that he promised as payment.
- The Elite Ten don't really take him seriously, especially Kuga, who believes it would be a waste of time to compete with a bottom feeder like Souma. The others aren't as blunt in dismissing his challenges, but they don't really disagree with anything he's saying either.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: While his cooking is very versatile, Soma still comes from a "special-of-the-day" family restaurant, and he "specialize" in simple dishes that can be created and served on the spot.
- This briefly becomes a negative during the breakfast buffet trial, as he's used to serving food immediately. The solution? Put on a show to attract customers.
- The same aspect also bit him back for his Stagiaire shift at Shino's. Soma simply isn't used to the amount of forethought and planning needed to ensure that the dishes in multiple multi-course meals go out at precisely the right time.
- Wild Card: According to Satoshi's appraisal, Soma's unorthodox methods and his sheer determination have the potential to rock Tootsuki's status quo by provoking his batch-mates into striving to become more than what they are in the present.
- Worthy Opponent: Koujirou respects his guts to challenge him into an unofficial Shokugeki to force him to change his mind regarding Megumi's expulsion at the training camp, and thus willingly takes him in as protege for Stagiaire Week. Likewise Alice is impressed with his ability to redesign his breakfast buffet and attract 192 customers in only half an hour, telling him that she looks forward to dueling him come Fall Classic.
Voiced by: Minami TakahashiClumsy and shy Megumi left her native Tohoku unprepared for life in Tootsuki, finding its competitive atmosphere totally at odds with her hospitality-based service, leaving her with a bad case of stage fright and poor grades, such that by the time she survives into tenth-grade she was only one failing grade away from expulsion. After surviving her first class upon being paired with Soma, however, she begins to look up to him as her greatest hope for helping her fulfill her dream of making her family and hometown proud.
- Adorkable: Particularly during training camp, where she reaches nearly Accidental Pornomancer levels with two legendary alumni. In the breakfast buffet trial, when a customer tries her dish, he asks if she would marry his grandson.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Initially looked down upon due to her poor grades and submissive attitude, she's considered a bit of a laughingstock. During training camp she makes a good impression with the instructors, allowing her to participate in the Fall Classic. Though her schoolmates are initially baffled at her inclusion, they eventually come around and respect her abilities after her match in the quarterfinals even though she's defeated soundly by Ryou.
- Apologizes a Lot: Seeing Megumi and Jun interact, Soma’s eyes glaze over as he realizes they’re stuck in an infinite loop of apologies.
- Audience Surrogate: Initially, her role was to be the Straight Man to Soma's overconfident antics as well as an observer to his various habits.
- Animal Motifs: She has been compared to a rabbit twice: her nickname in table tennis is "The Tohoku Hopping Hare", and after her match with Ryou, she was described as "a bunny going against a wolf".
- Badass Adorable: After she regained her confidence and lost her stage fright, she managed to give Ryou a good match while still being sweet, cute Megumi. She also made it through the preliminaries due to her skill at cutting hanging monkfish, something she mastered when she was very young despite the obvious difficulty in cutting up a fish larger than she was.
- Birds of a Feather: With Soma — both come from a humble background (Soma likes serving people from his neighborhood, Megumi works in an inn with a close relationship with the townsfolk) and suffer from bullying by other student chefs, yet are better cooks than the average lot. When given the opportunity, they can make friends easily.
- Book Dumb: Megumi has had a history of failing and poor performance in cooking school, but is actually a talented cook who just doesn't do well under pressure and doesn't specialize in technical perfection to begin with.
- Boring but Practical: Her dishes tend to be simpler than many of the other students and she doesn't know how to prepare complex dishes like a suitable meat based ramen. However, she does a very good job with normal produce.
- Character Development: She starts out with low self esteem and nervousness due to being a borderline failure. After being paired with Soma, she starts to gets back to her feet. After the training camp, she's earned the respect of several alumni, and by the Fall Classic, she can stand on her own without Soma's help, even managing to be able to go toe-to-toe with the incredibly aggressive Ryou.
- Comfort Food: Megumi's specialty. While dishes from other characters cause the well known orgasmic reactions and imagery in those who eat them, Megumi's dishes cause a different kind of reactions and imagery — that being of simple, heartwarming happiness. The Fall Classic judges are even shown relaxing around a kotatsu after trying her curry dish, and just one bite of her dish during her shokugeki against Shinomiya gave the latter a flashback to time spent with his mother.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She has borderline failing grades at the start, no self-confidence and a lot of rather dorky moments where she's in over her head. After getting through those issues and focusing more on her niche as a cook, she shows that she's actually one of the better cooks of the 92nd Generation, capable of making it into the Fall Classic. She's also been able to prepare hanging monkfish since she was a child, which amazes everyone.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: When she's under pressure she makes a lot of mistakes, mainly in classes. This leads to her repeatedly failing her classes and being mocked by the other students who don't know her real skill such that, by the time she hits tenth-grade, she was one only one failing grade away from being expelled.
- The Cutie: While most chefs look Badass when they're cooking, she's the character who always looks more adorable than badass, even in table tennis.
- Determinator: Despite her poor reputation in Tootsuki, Megumi wants to cook her best, primarily inspired by Soma. As seen in her flashbacks, she learned as a child to cut hanging goosefish (which is a very hard task, specially for a little girl) to keep up with the tradition of her ryokan once their chef had to retire. The fishermen admired her determination so much that to this day they place her in high regard.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Played with during Training Camp, where legendary alumna Hinako starts caressing her hand after meeting her.
- Fainting: Played for Laughs during her Stagiaire shift — even after she Grew a Spine, she still cannot help but pass out upon realizing that not only is she paired with Erina, but they also had to deal with a chef who absolutely refuses to be told around by students. She even imagines writing a letter to Soma asking of his own status.
- Foil: Two examples.
- To Soma — where the former is the challenge-seeking ace, Megumi is the underdog with a terminal case of shyness.
- To Miyako — the former has been exposed to sexist male chefs in her family-run restaurant; in contrast, Megumi is surrounded by men who dearly appreciate her talents.
- Grew a Spine: After going head-to-head with Koujirou during training camp and learning to focus on her cooking and not the stakes of her duels, she comes out of the experience with even more self confidence. She's still not exactly the boldest member of the cast, but she can now stick up for her own viewpoints and style as necessary. She also stops having to rely on Soma after the training camp, scoring good grades now that she no longer considers herself completely incompetent.
- Harsh Word Impact: Twice by Soma, and once by a little girl who she was teaching cooking.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: As hospitality is key in her dishes, she also works under a mentality of "cook for someone you love, and it will be tastier". This comes to a head with her budding affections for Soma, as she recalls the events of the preliminaries in the Fall Classic.
- Hidden Depths: Before enrolling into Tootsuki, Megumi was a national-level table tennis player. A few chapters focuses on her playing when not cooking, and everyone else gets so worked up in the sport the narration has to remind the audience that Shokugeki no Soma is still a cooking manga.
- Know Your Vines: She can easily recognize and get herbs and other plants in the forest section of the training camp.
- The Lancer: She has served as Soma's cooking partner through a number of assignments as well as offering constructive feedback on his cooking.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Anytime she's about to play table tennis and when she strategizes for the Fall Classic (though she relapses into Nervous Wreck occasionally).
- Naked First Impression: Soma walks in on her bathing on his first night at the Polaris Dormitory. They'd already met on their first tenth-grade class, but this was their first meeting outside of class.
- Nervous Wreck: In her earlier days at Tootsuki, she was constantly overwhelmed by the pressure of grades and stage fright, which prompted her to make a lot of mistakes and, therefore, failing her classes. Soma notes that she became more confident once she stopped staring at the pot while counting every minute, but she still panics whenever she's around more talented people or whenever Soma does something reckless.
- Nice Girl: Unlike the other students, she's not competitive at all and is more concerned about making people happy than doing well herself. She's eventually advised that she should probably focus on this hospitality aspect rather than obsessing over small details. While she may not be able to make a terrine nearly as good as Shinomiya's, her version does contain a thoughtfulness that his lacks, such as including allspice to help the judges' digestion after a full day of sampling hundreds of dishes.
- Normal Fish in a Tiny Pond: Megumi is the best cook in her hometown, but in Tootsuki she was on the verge of expulsion before Soma bailed her out. Tootsuki emphasizes technical perfection, calm under pressure, and a certain emotional distance in the preparation, but Megumi is easily intimidated and specializes in adapting her cooking to suit the particular needs of whoever she’s cooking for. She's still within the top ten of her year, but Tootsuki's competitive and demanding nature came as a shock to her.
- Only Sane Woman: She's apparently the only normal resident the Polaris Dormitory, as most of the other students can, and frequently do, behave like rowdy party animals. Lampshaded when she says Soma will "fit right in" with the wacky residents.
- The Power of Friendship: In Chapter 69, Megumi believes that she's gotten stronger because of the support of her friends.
- Red Baron: Aside from the nicknames some of the legendary alumni were proposing for her, Megumi is also known as "The Tohoku Hopping Hare" as a table tennis player.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: She's trapped in a negative loop at the start of the story. Her grades are bad, which stress her out. When she's stressed, she loses confidence. Without confidence, she makes mistakes. When she makes mistakes, she gets bad grades. Simply hearing she's at risk of failing made her all the more likely to fail. She manages to break out of her loop when Soma gives her a chance to breathe and then helped her avoid thinking of the consequences of failure, allowing her to do her best without worrying.
- Shrinking Violet: She has no confidence at the start of the story and is on the verge of failing out as a result. This has given her a very poor reputation. During the Fall Classic, when she shows that she's regained her confidence and really can cook, she starts earning the respect of the other students.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: To Ryou during their duel in the Fall Classic. Seeing that she's supported by her friends, he tells her that the kitchen is battlefield where cooks, regardless if they are working together, are fighting "eating" each other and that her cooking is a "trashy game" because she thinks that cooperation is important and that she doesn't fight with fellow cooks. Her response:"At the very least the things I've seen aren't trash at all!" (a short break to cook her dish) "All the people who pushed me forward, don't speak badly of them!"
- Skilled, but Naïve: She's no doubt a skilled cook, but initially struggled with Tootsuki due to her lack of confidence.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: To Mayumi Kurase, Soma's old high-school classmate. Both share yellow eyes and love for his dishes.
- Tender Tears: Being incredibly shy and weak-willed, she breaks down crying a few times, such as when she bottomed out after her and Soma's dish was sabotaged, and throughout her harrowing experience under Koujirou's boot camp (where she was nearly expelled and Soma had stand in her defense).
- The Three Faces of Eve: Among the Polaris girls, she is the Wife to Yuuki's Child and Ryoko's Seductress, being the resident sweetie with a talent for home cooking.
- Took a Level in Badass: Begins the series with failing grades due to stage fright and was one mark away from expulsion. After partnering with Soma, her cooking skills improved, becoming more refined and brave. This culminates in the Fall Classic, where she makes it into the Final Eight.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: The others often comment Megumi will be a great wife when they taste her cooking.
Voiced by: Takahiro SakuraiOldest student in the Polaris Dormitory, eleventh-grade Satoshi, from the 91st Generation, is also the Seventh Seat of the Elite Ten, an assembly of Tootsuki's best student-chefs from all years and its highest policy board besides headmaster Senzaemon himself. Unlike most of his peers, however, he knows great talent and tells them like he sees it, in particular taking a keen interest in Soma and Megumi, encouraging them to hone their skills even further.
- The Ace: During the training camp of his year, he was the first male student to complete the "50 meals"-challenge.
- Air Vent Escape: Has a habit of visiting Soma by his ceiling panel.
- Bishie Sparkle: Happens every time he is shown working on the garden, since he gets sweaty and sparkly at the sunlight.
- Bishōnen: Among the Polaris residents he's the most handsome of the boys.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's the best cook in Polaris and is also an Elite Ten, but at the same time he's also known among his dorm-mates as a shameless nudist.
- Chick Magnet: One of judges at the Fall Classic offers him financial aid to support him forever if he would become hers. He's also very popular with older women at the DEF Kitchen.
- Combat Pragmatist: Played for Laughs during a table tennis match against Megumi. Though he’s just barely managing to hold his own, he knows he’s going to lose eventually, so he distracts her during a serve by telling her that she’ll be in the Fall Classic. Everyone gets so wrapped up in the announcement they forgot about the match, allowing him to leave without losing.
- Dream Sequence: Isshiki has this while worrying if the rest of the dormitory will come back complete from the Training Camp. He imagines Soma a lot more muscular, Megumi turned into a Japanese Delinquent, and Shun completely scrawny; the only remains of Zenji were his glasses.
- The Face: Later at the Maple Leaf meeting, Eishi tells that Isshiki was appointed host and spokesman of the Fall Classic because he is too shy to be in public.
- Female Gaze: There are plenty of times when readers will see his naked ass.
- The Host: He had this role for the Fall Classic's Round 2 and the Final.
- Icy Blue Eyes: In the anime, his eye color is light blue, which gives chills to Soma once Isshiki reveals himself as a member of the Council.
- Hyper Awareness: Not only is he aware of the 92nd Generation's dormant talents, he also gauges Soma's potential to become a Wild Card and deduces that his presence will likely shuffle the balance of power in the student body, as well as identifying the roots of the resentment of majority of the student body towards him.
- Life of the Party: Every time there's a party, Satoshi will appear wearing nothing but an apron or a speedo underneath that, prompting cheers from his roommates.
- Manly Tears: His reaction to Soma's dish, "Revamped Mackerel Onigiri Chazuke", following the welcoming party.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's conventionally good-looking, and is often walks around with minimum clothing.
- Naked People Are Funny: His tendency to go around naked in the dorms are mostly Played for Laughs. Otherwise he can be seen wearing a Naked Apron when cooking or a Fundoshi while tending the garden.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Satoshi freely uses the intercom and the air ducts to get into his roommates' bedrooms in the most unexpected moments. Don't even try to ignore him, because he will get persistent. He also wanders around almost naked without a care in the world.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Unlike most of his Elite Ten peers seen so far, he's more professional in dealing with the rest of the student body and acknowledges great talent when he sees it, especially if it has the ability to shake the status quo at Tootsuki.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Soma and Megumi get shocked seeing him in a business suit, admitting he looked super-cool. Later they question if it was really necessary to get dressed for a community cooking school.
- Stripperific: A male example. Most of the outfits he usually wears inside the dorms are Naked Aprons, Fundoshis and Speedos, especially when entertaining his kouhais for the dorm parties (which would look like a stripper party in another context).
- Tranquil Fury: It's very easy to miss, but during Chapter 102, when he's talking with Eizan, Isshiki comes to the conclusion that the reason the rest of the school looks down on Soma is because most of the students don't want to acknowledge him, because it would also mean they would have to acknowledge their own lack of effort. Through the use of this series' particular variant of Glowing Eyes of Doom, you can see just how much that pisses him off.
- Worthy Opponent: He's very sure of his dorm-mates' potential (especially Soma and Megumi's), backing their names in the Fall Classic list, hoping to face them once they're ready.
Voiced by: Taishi MurataAnother freshman resident in the Polaris Dormitory, Shun's specialty is smoked food.
- Blinding Bangs: His eyes aren't shown for over a hundred chapters, helping to illustrate his quiet attitude. He's actually more fiery than he lets on, however, and gets so worked up during Stagiare that we finally get a glimpse of his eyes.
- Can't Catch Up: In any other year he probably would have had the top score for the Fall Classic preliminaries, but he fails to make it in at all thanks to Subaru Mimasaki. As a result, during Stagiare week he's upset that Souma and Megumi seem to be pulling further and further ahead of him. This could be simply a matter of perspective, however, given that he actually scored as high as Megumi did.
- Chainsaw Good: He uses a chainsaw to cut trees and woods.
- The Comically Serious: Most of his funny moments come from how he keeps a straight face in front of his more crazy, loud-mouthed roommates.
- Deadpan Snarker: In the rare moments when he talks, he clearly tells what's on his mind in a condescending manner.
- Genre Savvy: He knows about Isshiki not showing all his tricks to Soma, and Subaru Mimasaka's usual behaviour for Shokugekis.
- Messy Hair: Red and messy.
- Not So Stoic: On the other hand, his cold exterior is also very prone to breaking. For example, Yuuki notes that he was moping in the smoking room for not making it into the Fall Classic finals and thus drags him out to celebrate Soma, Megumi and Takumi's qualification. Other incidents include going along with Yuuki cheerleading for Megumi and reacting violently to Ryoko teasing him about how he also wanted to become like Soma.
- Only Sane Man: The most low-key of the dorm residents, but still goes along with whatever the others are planning to do.
- The Quiet One: Rarely speaks
- Sore Loser:
- As Yuuki notes, Shun was so upset at failing to enter the Fall Classic that he locked himself up in the smoking room while the rest celebrate. Yuuki eventually dragged him out to join the celebrations.
- Ryoko and Yuuki theorize Shun did research on Subaru out of spite for losing a Fall Classic slot to him. While he denies it and addresses it as a recorded fact, they still know that's true.
- Even though he cleared his Stagiaire Week and even saved a restaurant from bankruptcy, he feels he hasn't done enough yet, frustrated that Soma, Megumi and Isshiki are still ahead of him.
- The Stoic: Shun has only one expression; when Jouichiro comes to visit the dorm, he is the only one unfazed by the latter's strange dishes.
Voiced by: Ai KayanoOne of the three first-year girls from the dorm, Ryoko's specialty is shiokouji (preservatives and fermented ingredients), and spends months preparing them in the dorm basement.
- Audience Surrogate: When Soma is researching for his strategy for the first round of the Fall Classic Finals, Ryoko helps him and also facilitates the exposition about what is a Nori Bento and how Soma plans to perfect it.
- Curtains Match the Window: She has reddish hair and red eyes.
- Dude Magnet: Has a secret fanbase in the student body.
- Gag Boobs: She has the largest breasts of the Polaris girls, and it's been made fun of on occasion. Yuuki stares at her own chest self-conciously at the sight of her Gainaxing during her table tennis game against Soma, and also complained that her pair have been taking a lot of space in a kiddie pool they and Megumi shared. In one light novel illustration, where she, Yuuki and Shun were also at the DEF Kitchen, one of the kids is grabbing her by the boobs.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Her school fanbase included a number girls fawning over her.
- Military Moonshiner: Played with; she has her own supply of homemade "rice juice" for parties.
- Onee-sama: Not only does her fanbase call her this, but the judges in the Fall Classic admit her cooking evokes this.
- Straight Man: She is more patient, rational and calm than Yuuki, and also makes a more collected contrast to Megumi when she starts to panic.
- The Tease: She, along with Yuuki, started to tease Ikumi for her obvious crush on Soma. Also she was teasing Shun for secretly wanting to be as stubborn like Soma, although Shun denied it.
- The Three Faces of Eve: She's the Seductress to Yuuki's Child and Megumi's Wife, being the sexiest and most provocative of the three.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Beautiful and graceful, with a secret fanbase in the school.
Voiced by: Maaya UchidaAnother of the three first-year girls at the Polaris Dormitory, Yuuki's forte is poultry and wild game (specifically special bred animals) and frequently uses a combination of different fat and meat.
- Alliterative Name: Both her first and last names starts with Y.
- A-Cup Angst: She was shown looking at her chest self-conciously when she notices Ryoko Gainaxing during the table tennis match against Soma.
- Friend to All Living Things: She breeds many types of farm animals, including deers. Subverted, since she uses them as ingredients.
- Fangirl: She is the first to organize a cheerleading group for Megumi's Shokugeki. When she made fans with Megumi's name, nobody could refuse, agreeing to use them with embarrassment, while a happy Yuuki was encouraging them.
- Foil: To Ikumi. Both are meat specialists (Ikumi works with A5 meat, while Yuuki raises special breeds and applies wild game) and are very supportive of their circle of friends. But where Ikumi has trouble expressing friendship towards others (even thought she does like them all), Yuuki is more outgoing and cheerful (to the point that even Ikumi herself can't refuse to join in her clique).
- Genki Girl: Very cheerful and energetic by default. One of the judges bets this is how she manages to have such good ties with the hunters needed to get her all the wild game she has.Andou: "Birds and animals are hard to obtain as it is... in order to get some for the Classic, she must be well-connected with hunters. I guess her cheerfulness makes that possible..."
- Mood-Swinger: Very energetic and emotionally volatile. She can easily go from worried to angry to depressed in just a few panels or go from cheering for Megumi to bawling her eyes out.
- Odango: Her usual hairstyle. We only see her with her hair down once.
- Plucky Girl: Even when the competition and the pressure is heavy, she will find a moment to be quirky and cheer the others.
- Shipper on Deck: She, along with Ryoko, teases Ikumi for having a crush on Soma, even thought Ikumi is fiercely denying it. After the tournament, Yuuki is the only one in the audience that can feel the romantic subtext between Akira and Jun after the former hugged her upon winning the Fall Classic.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The Child to Megumi's Wife and Ryoko's Seductress, being the cheerful, energetic mood-maker of Polaris Dormitory.
- Tsurime Eyes: To emphasize her more aggressive nature, especially compared to Megumi and Ryoko.
Voiced by: Yusuke KobayashiAnother Polaris freshman who comes off as physically weak and pathetic, Zenji happens to be the most educated of his batch, coming up with unique yet unorthodox dishes thanks to his extensive research.
- Adorkable: We can see signs of this whenever he gets embarrassed for not knowing some technique during a Shokugeki, as the others assume he should know everything because of his glasses.
- Bookworm: Frequently seen studying for the theory/written exams
- Badass Bookworm: When he uses his knowledge in the Fall Classic, Zenji scores higher than Ikumi.
- Butt Monkey: Among the Polaris residents. Besides having his room commandeered by the other residents for parties, Zenji has bad luck with eating dishes - during the end of training camp, he swallows his food badly and is the first to try Jouichirou's snake dish.
- Character Tic: He constantly pushes his glasses up his nose with the fingers of his right hand.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Walked all over by even his dorm mates and only fails out during the training camp, but he's actually very knowledgeable about cooking. He just has terrible stamina. During the Fall Classic preliminaries he manages to get an 88, which is higher than or equal to anyone in the dorm apart from Souma.
- Extreme Doormat: His roommates always pick his room to have hangouts, reunions and welcoming parties and leaves him to do the cleaning. And even after showing his roommates how skilled he is and they declare a newfound respect for him, Zenji notes they're still using his room without asking.
- Hollywood Nerd: Actually quite handsome when he's drawn nicely (i.e. when he's not in his nervous breakdowns).
- Nervous Wreck: During training camp, where he's constantly seen exhausted and on edge.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: Most of the time.
- The Smart Guy: While he's physically weak, he is extremely knowledgeable in the science of flavours, and is considered a "walking flavour dictionary" by his classmates.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Downplayed. While Marui is very smart, he's not the smartest character, and there are some fields that are just beyond his knowledge. Alice's molecular gastronomy techniques, for instance, is not something he could explain to his peers when they are watching her match in the Fall Classic rounds.Yuuki: "Are those glasses just for show?!"
- Teen Genius: Is The Ace of the Miyazato Seminar, which specializes in research and analysis of classical literature about gourmet food, despite being only a freshman.
- The Strategist: Nicknamed "The Walking Flavor Dictionary" by those in his club.
- Weak, but Skilled: Zenji barely passed training camp, as it was a test of endurance and stamina. Having a month to prepare and research for a strategy in the Fall Classic granted him a score of 88 in the preliminaries with Shun. For reference, it's stated that many years nobody has a score above eighty thanks to the harsh judges.
Daigo Aoki and Shoji Sato
- Voiced by: Junichi Yanagita (Daigo, left) and Kengo Kawanishi (Shoji, right)
- All There in the Manual: Their official names are never mentioned on the actual manga pages, but is revealed in a bonus material.
- Bash Brothers: Separated, they are as good as the other Polaris Dorm resident. Working together, they make an even better team, as demonstrated during their Internship week.
- Big Brother Instinct: Both Daigo and Shouji were very protective of Megumi when other students were badmouthing her.
- Hot-Blooded: The two are often in fights with each other. Also during their Internship, their boss said aloud that initially he was going to give them minor chores, to which Daigo almost lost it.
- No Name Given: Their names, though, are later revealed in extra material, but still not mentioned in the main story. Their names are later revealed to be Daigo Aoki (the black haired guy) and Shoji Sato (the one with light colored hair). Averted in the Anime, where their names are given right away along with their roommates'.
- Those Two Guys: They only appear together to cheer for their roommates in the tournament. Even during the Stagiaire Period, they got assigned to the same place.
- Undying Loyalty: The two are very protective of their Dorms name and reputation. Even during their internship week, they both exclaimed to not subestimate the Polaris Dorms abilities.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: They are often bickering with each other at the parties to compare who did the best dish.
- Academic Alpha Bitch: What sets her apart from most of the student body, aside of her family name and reputation, is also her talent level, and she is very aware of this.
- Erina's perfectly fine with challenging rival clubs she doesn't like to a Shokugeki just to get rid of their building space to make way for another of her cooking labs.
- As a member of the Elite Ten, she's expected to take care of hopeful transfer students. She threatens most of the incoming students into fleeing without taking the test and when Souma both stays and does meet her high standards, she fails him anyway because he wounded her pride. It's also shown later that if there's any club she doesn't approve of, she'll come up with an excuse to destroy it. While Tootsuki policy does support her ability to do this and might even approve of getting rid of such clubs, it's still very close minded of her.
- She considers any dish more common than her absurdly high standards to be beneath notice and scorns those who cook them. Notably, this is seemingly hypocritical of her given that she helped organize the Autumn Election, where all the dishes prepared were either commoner foods such as hamburgers or evolved from them relatively recently, such as the bento.
- The Ace: An incredible cook with a godly palate when it comes to taste in Japan. Erina also has the distinction of being the only tenth-grader in the Elite Ten. Experts consider her as having potential that could make her perhaps the world's greatest chef.
- Adorkable: When she isn’t around Soma, she can actually relax. Turns out, she’s so out-of-touch with normal teenage behavior that it ends up pretty cute. She can also be pretty dorky around Hisako, her only friend, fluttering around her while she’s preparing for the preliminaries. She’s also a huge fan of shoujo manga, but hasn't the faintest idea of where it comes from. She's surprised to find it isn't in her grandfather's personal library.
- Advertised Extra: Erina is billed as the female lead. However, she has significantly less screentime than Megumi so far, much of which isn't even spent near Souma. She isn't even allowed to participate in the Fall Classic since she helped organize it.
- Bad Liar: When she bumps into Soma during training camp, she’s humming and cheerful, which she finds embarrassing. She futilely tries to deny it, but not only does he not believe her, she can't even distract him.
- Berserk Button: After their encounter at the admission test, Erina can't stand to hear the name "Soma Yukihira". He also continues talking to her too casually and ignores all her attempts at intimidation. Even amidst a surprisingly friendly conversation with Megumi, the mood goes downhill the moment the latter credits her improvement to Soma.
- Can't Take Criticism: The pilot comic had this as the reason she becomes antagonistic to Soma as he was the first to criticizes her food. Something that's never happened before.
- Chaste Heroine: Erina really doesn’t get the appeal of romance. When Alice teases her about it, she talks about her admiration for Jouichirou instead. She’s almost confused by the idea that she should care about love at all.
- Comically Small Bribe: She refuses to test Soma’s dish because there’s no way he could possibly afford her normal consultation fee, but after he offhandedly mentions he has access to the full set of a shoujo manga she’s reading, she leaps at the opportunity since she doesn’t know where to get them by herself.
- The Dreaded: New applicants to Tootsuki will quit rather than try to satisfy her and enter the school. Being branded as someone without talent by her is basically a death sentence for a cook.
- Dude Magnet: Her looks and status make her popular, but her fearsome reputation, bad temper and abuse of authority keep her isolated from those who may admire her.
- Establishing Character Moment: Erina's first shot in the series is her tossing away a plate of food in disgust, effectively encapsulating her personality as a chef.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Nao is creepily obsessed with her and wants Erina to "scold her".
- Family Business: The Nakiris are a clan of high-class chefs, with Senzaemon as school principal, Erina a top consultant, and Alice having patents and degrees in molecular gastronomy just like her mother.
- Foil: As one of Soma's most prominent rivals she embodies the complete opposite of everything he stands for. While she is an exceptionally picky eater who values only the most regal cuisine, Soma bears a fascination with all flavors and styles, good or bad. She's also a noted perfectionist while the guy enjoys experimentation for its own sake, even when some combinations will obviously be terrible.
- Hypocrite: Erina rejects Soma partly because she deems his commoner-grade skills unbecoming of such an elite institution as Tootsuki. However, she is either unaware of or refuses to admit the fact that the origins of many of the dishes used throughout the story can be traced back to similar roots. At one point, she criticizes Soma for being unaware that the bento is becoming more popular worldwide, ignoring its origins as a simple low-class lunchbox. Such foods are actually something of a theme throughout the tournament assignments, leaving her disdain for him based primarily in either her pettiness or ignorance.
- Ice Queen: Erina loathes showing any emotion besides anger or disdain, yet quietly expresses jealousy to Alice for her ability to freely cry after losing to Soma, and only in Megumi's presence was she able to show her distress over Hisako's sudden absence.
- Improbable Age: She's paid enormous consultation fees just to test new dishes by various restaurants, something she's been doing for years. She's also already a culinary celebrity at age fifteen.
- Insufferable Genius: Erina really is a great cook. She’s just completely obnoxious to people she considers below her. Right after Soma gets done teasing her, he realizes that not only did she beat him to serving fifty meals, but she beat him by such a wide margin that she was completely finished cleaning up and getting out of the bath by the time he was just on his way to it.
- Irony: She judges all cooks against the standards set by Jouichirou the legend, and detests Soma's trial-and-error approach to cooking... which is the very philosophy Jouichirou the man lives by.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: On one hand she's openly hostile to Soma after the guy commits the double sin of making her eat something she considers beneath her and then taunting her while she enjoys it, spending much of her time getting him out of the picture as much as possible, and is also merciless to those she deems unworthy of Tootsuki. On the other hand, she can be perfectly friendly and caring to those she does recognize and doesn't hold everyone to quite the same standards that she does for herself — for example, she's perfectly civil towards Megumi after her Fall Classic performance, and is obviously saddened over Hisako suddenly abandoning her after losing to Akira.
- Jerkass Has a Point
- When not targeting clubs she thinks are beneath her, she challenges those she deem unproductive or living off past glories, forcing them into losing Shokugekis, with the end result having her demolish their clubrooms to make way for another kitchen she doesn't need. As elitist, selfish and dismissive this may sound, such a policy is more or less in line with Tootsuki's mission, which demands brilliance from its student body and poses dire consequences to those who cannot catch up.
- Erina is able to make astute observations about some of the flaws of Soma's cooking (when not dismissing it altogether, that is). In the buffet challenge, she notes that he chose the worst possible dish due to its deciding factor being the dish's lasting effects. During the Fall Classic semifinal preparations, after some bargaining, Soma gets Erina to try his dish and give him a critique. While Erina didn't give him exact directions since she was part of the committee, her comment that he completely failed to understand the point of the assignment served as a clue to the fundamental flaw in his approach.
- Jerkass Realization: It's not until the Fall Classic preliminaries that Erina understands what Souma meant about having the experience of failing. To her, it sounded like he wasn't taking things seriously enough when in truth he absolutely hates to lose. When she sees him combine two of his failures into a dish that scores him 93 points, she realizes that his previous failures only made him more determined to fix his prior mistakes, so he worked on them until they became a completed dish worthy of being served on a grand stage. When reflecting on their conversation before, it's implied that she's embarrassed at her immature and hasty opinion from the training camp. Of course, just realizing that she was wrong isn't the same as actually approving of Souma, so she stays quite antagonistic.
- Lonely Rich Kid: She doesn't have any friends, so when Hisako leaves her side out of shame after losing to Akira, she gets really depressed.
- No Social Skills: At one point, while complaining to Soma about his narrow-minded view of cooking, he completely ignores everything she has to say just to point out that she is really hard to talk to despite his own ability to get along with others.
- Not So Above It All: Despite being a prodigy in the Culinary World, Erina is far from being mature herself, as she loses her composure whenever Soma is mentioned, pouting, refusing to talk to him or even apply basic manners around him.
- Ojou: Beautiful, rich, arrogant, and worshipped by pretty much everyone (other than Soma and Alice). She is very new to lower-class medium like public pools or "casual dating" and doesn't even know how to shop for shoujo mangas by herself, leaving the "mundane" duties to Hisako to do for her.
- The Perfectionist: She considers the idea of any kind of failure or struggle abhorrent. The idea that Soma actually learns from failure even if he doesn't like it repulses her. To her, a true master can never fail. However, it's rather telling that she seems to look up to Jouichirou because she believes him to be similarly obsessed with victory, unaware of how different he is in real life.
- Pet the Dog: After her Stagiaire (OJT) with Megumi finishes up, she gives her a ride home, where they just chat together without a hint of condescension. Erina actually respects her abilities and tells her so, though when she hears her crediting her improvement to Soma she gets annoyed and they change the subject. During the same conversation she's also shown to be quite lonely without Hisako due to the latter's departure after losing to Akira. Erina apparently doesn't mind that her friend lost, contrary to her normal attitude.
- Picky Eater: Accordingly, her first words when she was an infant were to criticize her mother's breast milk. Naturally, this has led to her reputation as "God's Tongue". She's known to be so demanding that potential applicants will outright skip the entrance exam rather than having her scathing criticism follow them.
- Pride: She lives by pride and refuses to admit that she's wrong or ever back down from an opinion she arrived at without thinking. It's hinted that she doesn't really like being this way sometimes, envying Alice for her ability to openly cry.
- The Proud Elite: Erina looks down on everyone she considers to have lower social status or cooking talent, which makes Soma the main target of her disdain. This is because of her family's name and her status as a member of the Council, which also gives her a reputation as unapproachable. Unknown to most, she secretly wants real friends (sees Hisako as her only true friend, despite her also looking up to Erina) and also does recognize talented people without being condescending (like giving proper praise to Megumi, ignoring her past bad grades).
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Erina tries to give one to Soma after he makes his Badass Boast at the opening ceremonies. It turns into an Insult Backfire when Soma counters her claim that most applicants received gifted middle-school education by the fact that he essentially grew up in a kitchen.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Even after she took over the management in Excellent, she makes the head chef, who had a prejudice against students, listen to Megumi's suggestion, which turns to be a needed work improvement.
- Red Baron: "God’s Tongue," said to be the most refined palate in the entire world.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: During the Beach Episode, Erina's wearing a hoodie to cover the bikini Alice makes her wear to the pool. Outside of the "orgasmic eating" panels, Erina will dress properly.
- The Rival: Soma is determined to have a competition with her one day as well as make her admit that he makes good food. It has some interesting implications when you consider that his father believes the secret to cooking is the desire to make food for one specific person, though this probably isn't exactly what he had in mind. For her part, Erina is more offended at his very existence than anything.Soma: "Wait for it. I'll make you clearly say 'It's good' with that mouth of yours! I'll exhaust my cooking to its limits!"
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: Despite her talent, Erina has little social skills. Having never taken the time to enjoy her youth (Alice had to coax her to go to a public pool, a place she's never set foot in; case in point, she complains it doesn't have hair dryers), she also finds the concept of romance beneath her, which Alice calls her out on, considering she's now in high school.
- School Idol: She has the biggest following over most of the school. Girls admire her, boys are afraid of admitting their attraction to her directly and she's currently the most talented of the freshmen.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: See Alpha Bitch; averted when discussing names for the Fall Classic, since the rest of the Elite Ten outrule her choice.
- Sore Loser: Her pride keeps her from admitting that food of humble origins could possibly meet her high standards, having lived off the most expensive and elegant foods in the world her entire life. During Soma's entrance examination, she stated multiple times that his food was beneath her and could in no way satisfy her palate. When it does, she gives out an obvious lie rather than admit that she was wrong. Of course, Soma taunting her the entire time probably didn't help her mood either.
- Tsundere: Generally, she won't admit that she likes something if she considers it beneath her, hates being seen at ease, and is easily riled thanks to her pride if you know what buttons to press. Specifically, she's a vicious Type A towards Soma's cooking, openly stating her dislike for his dishes even as she tries hard to deny that she actually liked them; at one time she even objectively observed that his preparations are the key to his culinary success.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Alice and Erina butt heads frequently, but they actually do get along.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: Soma and Erina's dynamic.
- In the pilot, while everyone in school has put Erina on a pedestal, Soma is the only one unimpressed by her skills, as he deems her as "boring".
- For the actual series, Erina expects to intimidate Soma and treats him as a "commoner"; she instead ends up getting irritated with his relaxed view of Tootsuki or cooking in general. While Soma still admires her skills from the Breakfast Buffet trial, instead of feeling threatened, this excites him and motivates him to try and surpass her.
- When She Smiles: When she opens the door of her house thinking Hisako has returned, she attends with a wide and cheerful smile, only to discover it was her arch-nemesis Soma and Mitsuru, who quickly gets a picture of her face, much to her embarrassment.
Ninth Seat of the Elite Ten and a 91st Generation (2nd year) student, Etsuya forms a grudge against Soma after his plan to take over the Sumire District through Mozuya, a store based on karaage (food deep-fried in oil, similar to tempura), fails when Soma intervenes.
- Alliterative Name
- The Chessmaster: As Satoshi deduced, he manipulated the match pairs in order to try to eliminate Soma from the Fall Classic, since he was the one in charge of arranging the duel orders, so he first put Subaru against Takumi in order to provoke Soma into accepting a Shokugeki against him. However, the results in the finals didn't go according to his plan (Soma still lost, but only by a hairsbreadth).
- Evil Genius: A ruthless gang leader who is intelligent enough to work as a food consultant when he was still in middle school. Isshiki describes as an "Intellectual-type Yakuza"
- Hoist by His Own Petard: During the Fall Classic he rigs the matches such that Soma faces Subaru after the latter has defeated Takumi, knowing how offended Soma would be at the outcome. The guy bets his career as a cook on the match, but not only does he win, he also earns the respect of the entire student body that had been snubbing him up to that point, especially after his impressive showing in the finals.
- Ignored Expert: The manager of Mozuya hired Eizan to provide advice, but ignored his warnings and as a result gets completely overpowered by Soma’s new business model.
- The Man Behind the Man: Shown to be this twice.
- He was behind Mozuya's expansion that almost leaves the Sumire District shops out of business. Without Eizan's advices, Mozuya derailed quickly.
- It's also revealed that Eizan took Subaru under his wing and encouraged his bad behavior, letting him defeat almost a hundred students in Shokugekis.
- Red Baron: "Alquimista" ("Alchemist" in Spanish and Portuguese)
- The Strategist: Eizan is the best food consultant in the market; in fact, Mozuya initially succeeds because of him. The minute they decided not to notify him about Soma, business starts to derail.
- Teen Genius: Already a food consultant in middle school.
- We Can Rule Together: He offers Soma a spot on his marketing team, which the latter rejects after realizing he's the one who almost contributed to the economic crisis in his neighborhood.
- Yakuza/Japanese Delinquents: Discussed In-Universe; it's rumored in Tootsuki Eizan is either or because of his influence as a food consultant. He also has the look of a Japanese yankee.
Terunori KugaClick to see image Eighth seat of the Elite Ten and a 91st Generation (2nd year) student, who was first introduced in the Autumn Leaf viewing event.
- Anime Hair: Sports a two-coloured hair that is exaggeratedly spiky in its style, at least compared to most of the other cast.
- Berserk Button: He appeared to take Eizan's insults quite well until the latter called him a "midget". He also gets really mad when Nene mentions others could beat him in "height".
- Establishing Character Moment: His boisterous, carefree personality is quickly made clear when, upon arriving to the leaf viewing event, he immediately suggested the first years to just call it a day and go home, and loudly wonders if the school can just cancel the event altogether.
- Hot-Blooded: Speaks out most of his dialogues by shouting them, and very quickly gets into fights with both Nene and Eizan.
- Multicolored Hair: Has brown hair, and blond bangs.
- The Napoleon: He is boisterous, loud, likes to berate his opponents and takes it very badly whenever others mock his height.
- No Indoor Voice: Almost everything he says is in shouts.
- See Polaris Dormitory folder
Nene KinokuniClick to see image Sixth seat of the Elite Ten and a 91st Generation (2nd year) student, who was first introduced in the Autumn Leaf viewing event.
- Deadpan Snarker: Very cold and blunt when putting down someone, particularly towards Kuga.Kuga: (To Soma) If you surpass me in anything related to cooking, I'll gladly accept your challenge.Nene: Height.Kuga: I SAID "RELATED TO COOKING", HAG!!
- The Stoic: She doesn't raise her voice while having a verbal smackdown against Kuga, and responds to his shouts by coldly saying, "Die".
Soumei SaitouClick to see image Fifth seat of the Elite Ten and a 90th Generation (3rd year) student, who was first introduced in the Autumn Leaf viewing event.
- Cool Sword: Carries what seems to be a big sword with him.
Momo AkanegakuboClick to see image Fourth seat of the Elite Ten and a 90th Generation (3rd year) student, who was first introduced in the Autumn Leaf viewing event.
- Older Than They Look: She is small, has her hair like cat ears and carries a plushie toy with her, and despite this she's one of the oldest members of the current Elite Ten.
Tosuke MegishimaClick to see image Thirth seat of the Elite Ten and a 90th Generation (3rd year) student, who was first introduced in the Autumn Leaf viewing event.
- Cool Hat: Wears a grey wool hat.
Rindou KobayashiClick to see image Second seat of the Elite Ten and a 90th Generation (3rd year) student, who was first introduced in the Autumn Leaf viewing event.
- Cat Smile: She is introduced smiling and her eyes look feline. When Soma is insisting on having a cooking contest with anyone, she just smiles amused at him.
First seat of the Elite Ten and a 90th Generation (3rd year) student, who was first introduced in the Autumn Leaf viewing event.
- The Ace: He is currently the First Seat of the Elite Ten, which means that he is currently the best student at Tootsuki.
- Adorkable: Very shy, mopey, and socially awkward, but these quirks probably makes him a more unique and endearing character than he would be, if he was just a standard bishonen.
- Bishōnen: Tall, slim and very pretty, and was labelled as "the handsome guy" before his name was revealed.
- The Comically Serious: He first appeared collected, cool and cold, but then turns depressed and whiney, complaining about all the hard work he does as the Number One seat, especially after Soma, Takumi and Subaru turned the Fall Classic into Shokugekis. All this, of course, is said without any trace of sarcasm or joke intention.
- Shrinking Violet: For someone who holds the position of Tootsuki's top, he's surprisingly very timid. He gets intimidated by crowds of people (which is why he leaves most of the PR of the Fall Classics to Isshiki), and mopes about the pressure and responsibilities his position brings.
- Straight Man: After Kuga makes a fuzz starting the meeting with the First Years, he cuts the tension by suggesting all to drink some tea.
Fall Classic Finalists
Assistant and adopted son of Jun, Akira is a foreign boy she met overseas as a kid, warning her of adultered spices. He specializes in curry dishes, with a wide knowledge in various spices and aroma.
- The Ace: He has a high level of mastery when it comes to spices, seemingly greater than actual graduates. His sense of smell is also refined enough to make judges consider him a possible rival to Erina's "God's Tongue." However, his abilities don't stop there: He takes all his classes just as seriously, acing subjects that Jun failed as a student and quickly mastering Japanese. She's actually worried that he works too hard.
- Ambiguously Brown: Has a Japanese name (possibly given when he enrolled to Tootsuki, as is the custom with foreign students), with flashbacks detailing how he used to live in another country (it's unclear if the market he was nearby was India or Thailand), since he identified Jun as a Japanese tourist.
- Badass Boast: He declares to Hisako that he is going to dethrone Erina from her seat. After beating her, Akira once again reaffirms his intention to be The Ace of Tootsuki, telling her that her insistence on being Erina's Number Two became her undoing.
- Badass Minds Think Alike: Soma and Akira make curry dishes for the Fall Classic preliminary using an aroma surprise factor. Also he, like Soma, aims for the top of the Elite Ten by using every last resource they have.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Even though Jun is a genius, she's still The Ditz and Akira is the mature one of the duo who takes care of her duties like attending guests, shopping, watering the plants or putting her Techno Babble into practical use. He even carries her to the couch when she sleeps on the floor in the middle of research.
- Bound and Gagged: The first shot of Chapter 90. Turns out he trained by being subjected to this (except he was blindfolded instead of gagged). Jun then gets that he was tied up so he wouldn't be able to recognize the spices by touching them.
- Character Tics: Touches his nose with his index finger and is constantly holding and smelling spices like cinnamon.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: His hair is white rather than blond, but it clearly defines his non-Japanese (presumably Indian) heritage.
- First Name Basis: He calls Jun by her first name, despite the latter's frequent protests.
- Friendly Rivalry: After winning the Fall Classic, he and Soma start getting along pretty well. Both he and Ryou often come over to his place so the three can compete in cooking, much to Akira's annoyance.
- Foil: To Jun — both are experts in spices, but she uses theoretical knowledge, while he depends on his sense of smell. Unlike the naive, ditzy, easily angered and dependent Jun, Akira is mature, reliable, Street Smart, cool and down-to-earth.
- The Gift: He has an extraordinary sense of smell, which people think might give him potential close to that of Erina. With just this, he has a mastery of spices apparently superior to the actual Tootsuki alumni and already has the same level of ability to pick out the best ingredients as Ryou, who has been working with seafood since he was a child.
- Happily Adopted: Jun rescued him from the streets, gave him a home in Japan and the head of the Hayama Seminar gave him his new name and became his godfather. In exchange for all this, Akira is determined to be the very best for her. For her part, she's worried that he pushes himself too hard.
- Insufferable Genius: Played with — on one hand, Akira keeps babbling about how awesome his sense of smell is, much to Ryou's irritation. On the other hand, turns out it was his way of putting pressure on himself. It may have been obnoxious, but his confidence in his own work was not as great as it first appeared.
- Let's Get Dangerous: He ties his hair in a ponytail whenever he's about to cook.
- The Nose Knows: His nose is very sharp when it comes to spices. He can identify ingredients and grade of cooking by the first smell.
- Not So Stoic: Even thought he keeps relatively calm and cool most of the time, one passing student could note his Tranquil Fury aura, and also after he was declared winner of the Fall Classic the audience were quick to note that Hayama's spontaneous hug to Jun was an odd moment coming from him.
- One Head Taller: He is taller than Professor Jun.
- The Rival: He has been built up as one of Soma's major rivals, even surpassing Soma and Ryou in scores. Come the final, he developed an even more fierce rivalry towards Ryou.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: He's much more down-to-earth than the childishly excitable Jun.
- Second Place Is for Losers: Chides Hisako for being content with being Erina's second, meaning she'll never truly strive to reach the peak of her ability.
- Street Smart: He knows from early age how the spice market works and how the store owners scam tourists with low-grade spices.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Has dark skin and his chef uniform is black. Also add his mysterious aura and fierce competitive streak. When referring to him, a lady at the fish market described him as "The dark skinned handsome guy".
- Tranquil Fury: While Soma calls him out for trying to appear cool after tying up in the semi-finals and Ryou calls him a "One-Trick Pony" for depending only on spices, a bystander perceives all his bottled up anger as he walks through the hallway.
- Undying Loyalty: When Natsume Sendawara, one of the Fall Classic judges, offers him a high-paying position in her company, he declines, declaring his loyalty to no one but Jun.
Erina's half-Danish cousin, Alice is a first-year high school student at Tootsuki, with her specialty being able to create very elaborate dishes, both beautiful and complex, using molecular gastronomy techniques.
- The Ace: Like Erina, she is a talented cook and scored the highest in the Fall Classic preliminaries, even above curry specialist Akira.
- Achilles' Heel: As amazing as her dishes are, they lack heart, as she focuses more on taste and flashiness. This ultimately leads to her downfall since her bento was delicious, but failed to capture the fun and novelty of the bento culture.
- Always Second Best: She's never been able to beat Erina at cooking, something she wants to change. She has yet to manage it, so she taunts Erina about her lacking social skills instead.
- Break the Haughty: She had a very superior attitude from the beginning towards anyone, until Soma defeated her in the first round of the Fall Classic, to the point she started to cry on the floor, getting lectures from both Erina and Ryou.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's half-Danish by way of her mother Leonora.
- Child Prodigy: Alice already received awards in molecular gastronomy in Denmark when she was nine, with 42 patents to her name by the time she was ten.
- Sibling Rivalry: She is consistently trying to defeat her cousin Erina and establish herself as Tootsuki's number 1.
- Coy, Girlish Flirt Pose: She does one right before the judges try her curry dish, crowning the servings by mentioning "how much love she put into doing it".
- Crazy-Prepared: During the preliminary round, she brought a gas mask in case there was a huge stench, like Nao's foul-smelling dish.
- Cry Cute: Played for Laughs — after losing to Soma, she immediately throws a tantrum. Though she immediate regains her composure, her mother Leonora recounts how Alice cried to her for nine straight hours over international lines.
- Evil Albino: Downplayed. Alice has silver hair and marble skin with crimson eyes, and can be quite arrogant, selfish and stubborn, but isn't actually "evil" or particularly malicious, just too smug for her own good.
- Foil: Three examples.
- To Erina — while both are arrogant and haughty, Alice is a bit more social than her cousin, if only because she learned them from TV.
- To Soma — she is a firm believer in culinary science, in contrast to Soma who prefers to experiment and is not afraid to be in the wrong.
- To Megumi — Alice talks a good game about putting "love" into her dishes, but it's clearly all talk, whereas Megumi's strength lay in the thought she puts both into her cooking and her clients.
- Freudian Excuse: Her arrogance and drive to win stems from her long-seated desire to surpass Erina, as she always stood above her since they were children.
- Friendly Rivalry: In contrast to her relationship with Erina, there's little tension or hostility with Soma during their Fall Classic match. They were even chatting together amicably when they finished cooking. On the other hand, Ikumi knows Alice is really looking down on him, as she is confident on her superior skills. Even after being defeated, and snapping at Soma because of it, she quickly got over her loss quite quickly and even went over to talk with the Polaris tenants as they watched the match between Megumi and Ryou.
- Full-Name Basis: On the receiving end. With the exception of her family Erina, Senzaemon and Ryou, almost everyone refer to her as "Nakiri Alice".
- The Gadfly: She's not nearly as aloof as Erina, but almost as arrogant in her own way. For Alice, though, that just means she endlessly teases people.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Erina was mean to her when they were growing up and she still looks down on Alice, preferring to stand as the superior chef. In exchange, Alice teases Erina where she knows her cousin is less experienced — social Life and behaving like a normal teenager.
- Hypocrite: After she loses to Soma and he makes a comment about getting closer to his goal, she takes it as a taunt to her and completely chides him for it. She who's done nothing but since they've first met. She won't even take others' comments with grace, seen with Erina and Ryou.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Basically how she got Ryou Kurokiba to be her assistant.
- Inelegant Blubbering: After losing to Soma in the first round of the Fall Classic, she breaks down crying like a little child and throws a tantrum in the middle of an audience of hundreds.
- Insufferable Genius: Alice will make sure everyone knows she is the best student (after Erina, of course).
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Alice declares she made all her research about love and teases Erina for not knowing about it when her knowledge comes from watching rom-coms, yet she falls asleep in the middle of them.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She is introduced as just another bitchy princess like Erina, what with her tendency to gloat at others, and had used her talents to crush a school club to take over their room and equipments for her own selfish purposes. But she is also quite goofy and is much more of a social animal than her cousin.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: Her type of relation with Ryou Kurokiba.
- Ms. Fanservice: In a bonus chapter, where she visits a local swimming pool with Erina and quite proudly showed off her figure by wearing a skimpy bikini.
- No Badass to His Valet: After losing to Soma, Ryou (her own assistant) chides her about being too weak.
- Ojou: Ryou treats her as "Milady Alice", she is accustomed to getting everything she wants (from expensive machines to the room of a Research Society Club) and sees going to a public pool like "an adventure". She is also perplexed from seeing "educational cheap candy" for the first time.
- Practical Taunt: Approached Ikumi and Hisako in the middle of the contest to tease them.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She has a unique eye design, and her red eyes along with her white skin and silver hair look really intimidating.
- The Rival: To Erina since childhood, and to Soma as of the Fall Classic.
- Rich Bitch: Downplayed. She's proud, egoistic and frequently looks down on conventional cooking methods, but she's generally quite friendly and is not as stubborn as Erina is.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Ryou (when he's not wearing his bandanna). She's clearly the more outgoing, emotional and childish of the two.
- Sore Loser: Subverted. After Soma defeats her, she is clearly upset and proceeds to cry and throw a tantrum, but she still thanks him for the match and keeps the Friendly Rivalry with him.
- Spoiled Brat: As Ryou admits, Alice is very stubborn and will get what she wants no matter what, often pouting and whining whenever she gets upset (like Ryou "ruining her taunting atmosphere" or why he didn't slice her apples like bunnies). She even started throwing a tantrum after losing to Soma, then cried about it to her mother over the phone for nine hours straight.]]
- The Tease: Most of her interactions with other characters involve gloating or seductive tones to get a reaction. In a flashback, Alice also did this when she first met Ryou, treating him like a petnote .
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: Even if she gets one of the highest scores, she will lecture her opponent about how their efforts weren't enough. Downplayed when Soma isn't the type of person to get frustrated from gloating.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Alice and Erina butt heads frequently, but they actually do get along, as Alice visits her frequently and tries to get her out to have lunch or hang out.
- We Can Rule Together: In a flashback, Alice offers Ryou companionship in exchange for helping him complete his training while on a trip in northern Europe.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Alice firmly believes in this trope, and thinks that Soma is trying to invoke Heart Is an Awesome Power to defeat her in their Fall Classic match. She's wrong, though, because she actually failed to realize the point of the assignment. While both of their dishes were excellent, only one of them bothered to do more than technically meet the criteria of the match.
Alice's laid-back assistant, the scraggily-looking Ryou follows her everywhere and does what she asks. On occasion, Ryou becomes an entirely different person when he wears his bandana. His speciality is seafood cooking.
- The Ace: Alice recruited him because of his skills, which was demonstrated when he scored the same amount of points as Soma. He was a restaurant chef when he was just a kid, and it's also implied that he is more skilled than Alice.
- Animal Motifs: Alice compares Ryou to a "mad dog" and presents him to Erina saying "I picked him up in Northern Europe".Erina: "Don't say it like you picked up a dog!"
- Also he is compared with a feral tiger or a rabid dog because of his aggressive persona while cooking. Alice first calls him a Mad Dog before offering him to go with her to Tootsuki, and the judges have the feeling of being attacked by a feral animal when eating his food.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Ryou is shown to be more reasonable and mature than Alice, but he still goes along with every whim from her, even when it transpired that he's a much better cook than his employer.
- Brilliant but Lazy: According to Erina, he only did a passable effort at classes, which was why she was surprised by his performance in the Fall Election.
- Bratty Half-Pint: When he was kid, he was really bratty and disrespected even adults.
- The Comically Serious: Most of his humorous moments involve pointing out Alice's childish antics with a straight face and handwaving away her equally childish reactions.
- Child Prodigy: He was the chef of a restaurant even when he was just a kid, and he commanded the adult sous chefs what they have to do. In his own words, the owner gave the whole responsibility to him.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He ends up becoming the dark horse of the Fall Classic, since nobody expected his mellow and quiet persona to cause so big an impact — he's the first student to score high points in the preliminaries from the toughest judge in Block A, and ends up tying Soma in the final, only behind Akira.
- Dark Horse Victory: Almost nobody seems to know who he even is when he reaches the preliminaries. Erina in particular is surprised because while she does know who he is, he never puts any effort into the school assignments and only gets passing grades. Despite this, he manages to get one of the highest scores in the preliminaries, crushes Megumi in the quarterfinals and performs evenly against both Hayama and Souma, making him the runner up for the tournament.
- Defeat Means Respect/Defeat Means Friendship: In flashbacks it's revealed that Ryou didn't have any respect towards Alice when they met, calling her a Spoiled Brat to her face. After many defeats against her, Ryou started to treat Alice as "milady" and agreed to be his assistant, while Alice stopped treating him like a pet when he finally won. By their conversations it's also implied that their cooking contests are also part of their routines.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He appeared at the opening ceremonies and training camp, but isn't formally introduced until the Fall Classic.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Like Hisako's case, until the Fall Classic, Ryou was simply "Alice's assistant" and had No Name Given.
- While Megumi focuses on heart and hospitality to soothe her guests, Ryou uses an overwhelming style based on sheer impact to incite craving for more. He scoffs at her weak style, saying she'll never reach true mastery like that. The difference lies in their upbringing: Megumi was raised in a warm, supportive environment surrounded by people who wanted what was best for her while Ryou grew up in a harsh seaside town among sailors with cooks who would have loved nothing more than to drive him out into the streets.
- Both he and Soma come from humble restaurants for the masses, but where Soma lives in a friendly neighborhood where he is free to learn from mistakes, Ryou came from a restaurant with a social Darwinist tinge; also, both have a habit of wearing pieces of cloth whenever they get serious.
- Freudian Excuse: A flashback shows the cooks in his restaurant used to bully him, to the point he had to toughen up.
- Friendly Rivalry: Even though he is so adamant to defeat them in the Fall Classic, Ryou is seen to be hanging out with both Soma and Akira, and is seemingly getting along with them just fine.
- HAD to Be Sharp: The restaurant he worked in as a child had a strict survival-of-the-fittest environment where "useless" chefs are immediately laid off, driving Ryou to rise up the ranks of so merciless a kitchen.
- Hot-Blooded: Even when talking to a judge he is rude and menacing, even to the point of screaming at Taki to eat his food and yelling at Sonoka to already decide for the winner of the match.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: On one hand, he essentially acts as Alice's butler and valet; on the other hand he is also implied to be better at cooking than Alice, after he lectures her following her loss to Soma in the first round of the Fall Classic alone.
- I Work Alone: He firmly believes every chef is on their own, as it's a constant competition of "eat or be eaten".
- I'm Standing Right Here: Twice. First time when Alice was requesting him like a puppy, and the second time when Akira complains that Jun should serve him and Soma the cheap snacks instead of his good cookies.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Aggressive and confrontational as he is to the judges in the semifinals, he’s right. It’s their duty to make the decision for a match and failure to do so makes their position worthless. Gin steps in with a solution that puts the problem off, but the same thing happens in the finals.
- Let's Get Dangerous/Slasher Smile: Whenever he puts on his bandanna.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: Ryou treats Alice as "milady" and does many chores for her.
- Not So Different: He has common upbringings similar to Soma and Megumi. Like Megumi, he grew up in a fishermen town; and like Soma, he managed to be the chef at a humble but popular restaurant.
- The Rival: Initially to Alice, also being his assistant. After the Fall Classic he becomes this to both Soma and Akira, at the same time also developing a Vitriolic Best Buds dynamic with them.
- Straight Man: Next to Alice. Even thought he goes along with everything she wants, he is not far from pointing out whenever Alice is being childish.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Without his bandana, he's the savvy guy to Alice.
- Sidekick: To Alice; also fills the role of a personal butler. He slices fruit for her (she complains to him for not shaping them like bunnies), carries her bags and keeps an eye on her stuff while she goes to the pool.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: His cooking attire, revealing his muscular arms.
- Split Personality: By default, Ryou's mellow and The Stoic, until he puts on a bandana, of any type of headwear, as the Beach Episode reveals, and turns "feral".
- Sore Loser: After Akira wins the Fall Classic, he gets enraged to the point he yelled at Alice for scolding him and, along with Soma, demanded a plate of Hayama's carpaccio to compare. While both of them kept saying they could have done better, their bickering went along like the three of them became Vitriolic Best Buds.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: He is imposing, stern, mysterious, and very good looking.
- Tranquil Fury:
- When Alice defeated the president of the Edge-Cutting Research Society and insisted to keep their expensive equipment in a corner even thought she had even better machines, Ryou grabbed him by the collar with a serious-menacing face and apologized to him for Alice's spoiled attitude. The senior even lampshades this by pointing his actions don't match his body language.
- After tying with Hayama in the semifinals, Ryou was furious, but quickly mellowed out once Alice removed his bandana. However, Ryou (while still calm) requested a cooking contest with Alice to vent out his frustration.
Voiced by: Natsuki HanaeFirst-year Takumi is the eldest son of a Japanese chef from Florence-based Trattoria Aldini. He goes to Tootsuki with his younger twin brother Isami during middle school to demonstrate their skills, and when Soma declares his intentions at the opening ceremonies, Takumi becomes fired up to do even better than that upstart from a backwater restaurant.
- The Ace: In terms of cooking, the clientele of Trattoria Aldini would ask for Takumi's specials instead of Isami's. His brother admits whenever Takumi puts on the chef's coat, he turns into a completely different person.
- Adorkable: When his Badass Boast turns into an Epic Fail. It happens a lot.
- Aloof Big Brother: Subverted; Takumi is aware he's the more talented of the twins, but he's still proud of Isami's skills.
- Badass: Judges and professors praise his technique, use of a mezzaluna and creativity of ingredients (such as making a three-layered pasta and Italian-Japanese fusion dishes), to the point his skills are akin to a Samurai.
- Badass Boast: During his introduction to Soma as a defender of his family trattoria."Sorry for the tardiness. My name is Takumi Aldini. This is my twin brother Isami Aldini. We worked in a kitchen of a trattoria in our hometown. It's a word in Italian that refers to the so-called 'restaurant of the masses'. I am just like you, Yukihira. I, too, am a chef that's protected his shop from the kitchen. You said that you 'don't plan to lose to some bunch that has never stood in front of clients'? Say that after you have defeated me. Between Aldini and Yukihira, I'll show you which is better."
- Berserk Button: Don't dare to insult Isami by calling him "a second-rate cook".
- Big Brother Instinct: Takumi, who could have rejected the Shokugeki, accepted Subaru's conditions to defend Isami's honor.
- Bishōnen: His good looks have earned him a fan club.
- Break the Badass: Subaru not only defeats him, but also hurt his pride by predicting all his actions (including improvised options), stained his Mezzaluna knife and took it away and insulted his brother. After said Shokugeki, Takumi spent the entire week depressed in his apartment with a broken look in his eyes.
- But Not Too Foreign: The Aldini twins are half-Japanese, but grew up in Italy. They've used their unique upbringing to make more flexible dishes such as using Japanese ingredients in an Italian style or vice versa.
- Butt Monkey: Every time he wants to boast, the moment turns awkward.
- Challenge Seeker: He constantly wants to engage Soma in a competition, but they usually fall flat.
- Chick Magnet: He is said to have a fanclub in Tootsuki, and also older females are seen gushing over him as he enters the arena.
- Cry Cute: He cries when he loses or gets embarrassed. It destroys whatever dignity he has.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: After Soma defeats Subaru and gets Takumi's Mezzaluna back, he rejects it, declaring that he will earn it back by his own merits.
- Establishing Character Moment: Takumi is first introduced stomping on Soma's foot, marking himself as an intimidating opponent... before his brother Isami laughs at him.
- The Fashionista: In contrast to Soma (who wears hantennote ), Takumi's plain clothes are very stylish, since Italians are very wary of their appearance. After the Internships period, Takumi's first words to Soma are to comment on his hair being not too long or too short, while he had a new haircut on the time being.
- Friendly Rivalry: He tries competing with Soma, but the two of them seem to get along pretty well, though the latter finds it difficult to take their rivalry as seriously as Takumi does.
- Heroic BSOD: After Subaru beats him, Takumi is seen depressed in his apartment, while a worried Isami passes him a message from Soma.
- Honor Before Reason: Takumi stated he would hate the idea of Soma getting expelled before they compete officially.
- Hyper Awareness: Takumi reveals he was already aware that Subaru had been following him around for the past few days. Subverted, though, because Subaru had been following him for much longer than that.
- A Glass in the Hand: Soma gives Takumi a bag of kaki seeds to hold onto while he goes to search for ingredients during training camp. In frustration, Takumi crushes the bag with his grip, but it was what Soma wanted to do, anyway.
- Gratuitous Italian: From the two, Takumi is the one who uses more Italian words, most commonly "grazie" ("thank you").
- Glove Slap: Right before their match and in front of the whole school, Takumi throws a glove to Subaru to make the duel official, asking in exchange for his win a public apology to Isami.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: The only physical thing the twins have in common from their Italian heritage. They were straight up innocent when they were children.
- Jerkass Façade: In his introduction, he trods on Soma's foot to show his confidence and acts like a jerk. Immediately into the first assignment at training camp, he dislikes the idea that Soma could be disqualified. Instead of throwing away the kaki seeds, he holds onto them; when he accidentally crushes the bag, he desperately apologizes for it (though Soma was intending to do it). An extra chapter also reveals Takumi planned to stomp on his foot long before as a challenge.
- Nerves of Steel: Despite how easily he normally gets embarrassed, before a match he's completely confident while the normally calm Isami runs around flustered. Despite a moment's panic he also recovers easily during his match with Subaru, managing to make a last minute improvement to his dessert which still isn't enough to let him win. Subaru knew that Takumi would be able to keep his wits about him and improvise something, so he prepared accordingly.
- Not So Different: Soma criticizes most of his peers for their high education without proper experience. However, Takumi comes from a similar background (working at a trattoria for years) despite his seemingly arrogant demeanor. Both wear the pride of their respective family restaurants' names on their uniforms. He is also as resourceful as Soma, since his imagination and range of vision during a challenge is very wide, as seen during the training camp.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Unlike Erina who wants Soma to go away, Takumi isn't satisfied to have Soma expelled until he can defeat him in a Shokugeki. He gets jealous if Soma has another rival, since he considers himself the only one.
- The Rival: Self-proclaimed towards Soma. He also proclaims himself to be Soma's "only rival". However, he's not taken as seriously as he would like.
- Sexy Man, Instant Harem: Takumi has his own fan club.
- We Will Meet Again: Parodied. After the first cooking match between Takumi and Soma ends in a draw, the former declares this after saying they will someday settle things in a Shokugeki. A couple of panels later, they are forced to sit next to each other on the bus.
- Weapon of Choice: His Mezzaluna, which he uses along with Isami. However, he lost it in a Shokugeki against Subaru Mimasaka and hasn't got it back since, because he wants to defeat both him and Soma to earn it properly.
- The Worf Effect, Sacrificial Lion: His first appearance showcases himself as Souma's equal in resourcefulness and experience. His loss against Subaru foreshadows the amount of planning Souma would need to overcome him
- Wrong Genre Savvy: He knows he's Soma's rival. He knows the proper style and lines a rival character should give. What he does not know is that he's in a manga that's half comedy and where people don't stick to shounen clichés at all times.
Voiced by: Saori OonishiErina's secretary and close friend, Hisako specializes in medicinal-based dishes.
- The Ace: She considers Erina's culinary skills and how she thinks of any student beneath her. Whatever Hisako did to become Erina's assistant, she must have been that competent in cooking. Further supported during training camp, where she finishes the "50 Dishes Challenge" roughly at the same time as Soma (though Erina was the first) and before Takumi. She even scored second place behind Alice for Block B of the Fall Classic preliminaries.
- Always Someone Better: She wants to be Erina's Number Two on the Elite Ten and will crush anyone who dares to try and surpass Erina, but she loses to Akira, which causes her much heartbreak. As the latter puts it, she can hardly expect otherwise if she's content to live in Erina's shadow, never aiming for the top herself.
- Badass: If having Erina's seal of approval isn't enough, chapter 73 has her doing a special dish with a live turtle and beheading it in front of the shocked audience without even batting an eyelash.
- Blood-Splattered Warrior: Blood is splattering on her face and cooking attire when she cold-heartly beheads a living turtle. It's not that much blood, but it still fits the trope and makes her look badass.
- Break the Haughty: She started thinking Erina as the best, that she could only be her Number Two and nobody could ever get to Erina's level past her. Akira later defeats her, which hurts her pride so much she distances herself from Erina out of shame.
- Character Development: She started as nothing else than an overprotective assistant for Erina, who wanted nothing more than be her Number Two. Thanks to Soma, Hisako realized that she had to step up instead of being a servant, not only at her school performance, but also as Erina's friend. She genuinely grew to like Soma instead of holding grudges based on Erina's own issues with him.
- Childhood Friends: Played with. She's been with Erina since childhood, but was too much in awe of Erina to really be her friend. Soma later encourages her to be more a friend than a sidekick and cheers her up after her loss to Akira.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially cold and hostile towards Soma due to his flippant attitude around Erina, she eventually mellows out to him after their Stagiaire assignment, having seen him show some skill she doesn't have, and more so after he counsels her not to give up on her relationship with Erina following her loss to Akira, for which she warmly thanks him. The next time they meet, she confuses Erina by giving him a friendly greeting.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Hishoko" (literally, "secretary girl"), given to her by Alice, used as a Running Gag by the author before a Canon Name was established. To her annoyance, the nickname spread throughout the student body.
- Epiphany Therapy: For her Stagiaire assignment, she and Soma had to work for a restaurant located next to a bullet train station. Realizing that her experience with staged situations in cooking classes pale before the realities of a working restaurant, which require more flexibility, she is forced to swallow her pride and learn from Soma, who actually grew in such an environment. The whole experience, coupled with Soma's words of advice, helped her recover from her loss to Akira and see herself as more than just Erina's sidekick, for which she is incredibly grateful to Soma.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Until the Fall Classic, Hisako was simply "Erina's secretary" and had No Name Given.
- Family Business: For generations the Aratos served as personal medics to the Nakiris. To be able to serve Erina as well, Hisako oriented her family knowledge of medicinal herbs into her cooking.
- Fangirl: She practically worships Erina, at times almost looking like she's outright crushing on her. She's also quite jealous and overprotective of Erina, including an aggressive attitude towards Soma without ever having spoken to him thanks to how casually he speaks to her boss.
- Foil: Two examples:
- To Megumi — both are overshadowed by a friend in skill (Soma and Erina, respectively) and mild-mannered. Their cooking styles are also similar, with one focused on soothing mental and physical aspects, while the other uses medicinal properties from herbal ingredients. But where Megumi is sweet and considerate, Hisako has some of Erina' haughtiness rubbed onto her.
- To Akira — both specialize in herbs and spices, and are very loyal to their "masters", but where Akira is inspired by Jun to push himself beyond his limits, Hisako is content with being Erina's Number Two.
- Girl Friday: Through the lens of a cooking manga, of course, meaning she cooks instead of fights. She's Erina's secretary and helps arrange all her affairs, provide emotional support and complete menial tasks like picking up Erina's manga. Her experience proves helpful during her Stagiaire shift with Soma, when she helps organize the reservation system at an overly busy restaurant, giving it a modern update to allow younger customers easier access.
- Hero-Worshipper: When she and Erina were little, Erina wanted to be her friend, but Hisako was too respectful and decided to support her from behind. After she loses to Akira, she feels unworthy to be by Erina's side until Soma convinces her to see herself as more than just a sidekick.
- Humble Pie: She has two separate incidents that make up a single part of her character arc from Erina's sidekick to her friend.
- Firmly convinced that she was second only to Erina, she didn't work as hard as she could have in the autumn festival and lost to Hayama, who chided her for being content with second place. The next time she's in focus, she's clearly miserable because Erina's perfectionist attitude has rubbed off on her, causing her to consider herself worthless. Erina doesn't actually care if Hisako is perfect because the only one she won't accept failures from is herself, but the fundamental gap in how they view their relationship causes Hisako to separate herself from Erina out of a sense of inadequacy.
- After this, she gets an assignment with Souma during Stagiare week when they have to help a restaurant and then leave some kind of clear improvement in it before the end of the week. He warns her about the demands of actually working in a real restaurant, but she dismisses him by saying she's had enough experience at the school with staged situations. However, it's clear that she's in way over head in such a busy restaurant, forcing her to swallow her bitter comments towards him and actually start learning. He uses the opportunity to prod her into returning to Erina, pointing out that if she failed once she just needs to try again in a different way. Notably, while this experience was humiliating for her at first, she's actually very grateful for what Souma did for her.
- Meaningful Echo: During Stagiaire week, she passionately tells the owner of Mitamura that if the situation has changed, they need to change their approach and emphasize what's important to them without worrying about appearances. In the next chapter, Souma tells her to stop worrying about a single loss to Hayama and go back to Erina, repeating her own words right back at her.
- The Medic: She comes from a line of specialists in Chinese medicine, incorporating her knowledge into her cooking; her quarterfinal dish for the Fall Classic "breaks the power of Nao's curse" on the judges.
- Meganekko: She wears glasses when doing computer work.
- Number Two: She is the secretary to Erina. This results in her defeat against Akira, since she lacked the ambition to be the very best, just wanting to live in Erina's shadow.
- Only Friend: She's the closest thing Erina has to an actual friend, but even she mostly just hero worships Erina and wants to serve her. Erina isn't quite happy about that, but Hisako doesn't find herself worthy to be anything more than Erina's secretary.
- Pride: Just like Erina, Hisako is as elitist and perfectionist as her, also looking down on Soma based on social status and academic records alone.
- Put on a Bus: After Akira defeats her at the Fall Classic, Hisako gave to Erina a letter stating she was "leaving on a journey", since she can't face Erina because of her failure, without listening to what Erina had to say.
- The Bus Came Back: Then she reappears as Soma's partner in Stagiaire Week. Her experience working with Soma has helped her recover from her loss, and with Soma giving her not only useful words of advice, but the full set of Erina's favorite shoujo manga, Hisako now have both the courage and incentive to return to Erina not just as an assistant, but as a friend (and if Chapter 117.3 is any indication, she indeed returns).
- Satellite Character: She's not lacking in development, but her entire character is focused around Erina and their relationship. She even adopts Erina's viewpoints as her own, though she does warm up to Souma before her boss does.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Towards Soma after their week together at the Stagiaire Period, even to the point of telling Erina to thank him for the mangas he got for her, which shocks Erina.
- Undying Loyalty: Very loyal to Erina, since it's also tradition in her family, as the Arato line are personal doctors of the Nakiri's.
A heavy-built freshman and Soma's Fall Classic semifinals opponent. Despite his look, he's smarter than he appears and has a strong sense for details. Apparently Etsuya Eizan's aide. He has no "specialty", but copies the other chefs he faces.
- Animal Motif: Aside from his devil motif, during his match with Soma, he has a snake motif.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: One of his key strengths, despite having no specialties he can creates dishes that have surpassed chefs at their own specialties solely through analysing their abilities and creating a dish one step ahead of theirs.
- Badass: He's won 100 Shokugekis prior to his encounter with Soma, Takumi and his Mezzaluna being his latest victim.
- Badass Biker: The second time he appears, he's driving a motorbike. And he really loves it.
- Batman Gambit: How he defeats his opponents. He knows what they would do in any situation and he develops counter measures against them.
- Battle Trophy: He always bets on Shokugekis the opponent's precious tool, mostly to hurt the loser way beyond the defeat.
- Blood Knight: He loves intense cooking duels and is only interested in winning, that's why he challenges so many students he faces into Shokugeki.
- Collector of the Strange: He collects data of the rivals (even the most worthless details) and their tools as Battle Trophy.
- Combat Pragmatist: In Eizan's words, though he certainly has the skill for cooking, he has no respect for ingredients or tools and only cares about winning. To do so he spies on his opponents, figures out what they plan on making as well as gathering information of their styles of cooking, copy his opponents dishes to perfection and then making improvements to it until his dish is one step ahead of his opponents in every category whilst simultaneously making sure to take into account any other variables based on his information on his opponents skill and abilities to ensure he will remain ahead of them even if they try to improvise something. On top of that, during the match itself, he will also give Breaking Speeches on how utterly predictable they are and how pathetic it is for them to lose against their own specialties to put even more pressure on them. When one of the judges of the Fall Classic tries to call him out on his dirty strategies, he counters by stating that his particular style of cooking IS analysing his opponents to ensure the greatest chance of success.
- Cool Bike: He has an impressive looking bike. But how he protects his bike is more impressive.
- Crazy-Prepared: His motto is "Right down to a gnat's eyebrow", a phrase which means "going into the most minute of details". Not only he puts a high standard of security for his motorbike (breaks, chains, raincoat and GPS tracking in case of robbery), he knows a lot of details about other cooks, even if some of the details are random or casual. Seriously, who needs to know Soma's shoe size, how many pair of shoes has or what kind of pattern Takumi's underwear has?
- Delinquent Hair: He has a mohawk of dreadlocks.
- Diabolus Ex Machina: At the end of the Fall Classic preliminaries, he appears out of nowhere and steals the fourth spot of Block A from Shun and Zenji.
- Did Not See That Coming: He's so used to studying opponents that Soma improvising a dish right on the spot in their duel blindsides him completely since he was so sure Soma would cook a certain dish beforehand and just rushed ahead in making it.
- Dreadlock Rasta: He's a huge biker with a dreadlock mohawk.
- Ditto Fighter: Due to his analyzing and extensive stalking, he is able to copy dishes AND make them better.
- Evil Gloating: People say that in one Shokugeki, he laughed loudly as he took away a knife which was a memento of his opponent's late mother. Right before he's awarded the win, he gloats how he knew Takumi would try to one up in his dessert.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: When he lost against Soma, his dreads untied, letting his long hair flow (and causing some disgusted reactions from the girls in the audience), as a sign that he has given up his dishonest motivations. By the time of the Red Leaf Hunt, Subaru is still wearing his hair lose.
- The Faceless: The first time he appears, his face wasn't shown and his name wasn't revealed. His second appearance reveals finally his face and his name.
- Fan Disservice: He gives two moments:
- One of the judges gets disturbed when his dessert made them picture Mimasaka as a Yamato Nadeshiko.
- After Soma wins against Subaru and gives him a plate of his stew, his dreads get loose and his hair starts to flow while he sparkles, much to the disgust of the female judges.
- Fatal Flaw: Same as being a Combat Pragmatist which even Soma notices. He's good at duplication and observation, but is so obsessed with just winning he's practically just wasting his talent and thus doesn't bother trying to take his creations further then just slightly outshining the competition. Sure enough, this leads to his downfall as he only studied what Soma was planning on making, not considering the possibility that he may improvise right before he even started to cook during the competition.
- Faux Affably Evil: He's a gracious host and not averse to having casual chat with future opponents. However, before and during a match he mocks, belittles and sets out to destroy someone by beating them with the exact thing they chose to make. Further, he makes people bet items precious to them in Shokugekis and then simply stockpiles his rewards.
- Foil: His copying of opponents seems to provide a dark mirror to Soma's experimenting and learning.
- Freudian Excuse: He has a distant father who continually denied his cooking skills because they lack originality. After he defeated his father in a cooking contest by modifying his father's special recipe, the latter sent him away to Tootsuki rather than giving him the praise he wanted (or, in his own words, his father ran away on him).
- Genius Bruiser: He's very tall and muscular, but his knowledge of details is crazy. One of his greatest strength is predicting the moves of his opponents.
- Gonk: Especially next to most of the male cast by comparison, it's accentuated by his Overly Long Tongue, large build and creepy expressions.
- Hate Sink: While there's no shortage of arrogant cooks in the series, Subaru's behavior is much darker to the point that even the judges comment on his tactics.
- Insufferable Genius: He really is a good cook. He has good aesthetic sense, a fine sense of taste, wide knowledge, inventiveness, attention to detail and analysis. He just has so a foul personality it is said that no sensible restaurant would ever want to hire him. He's referred to as an awful cook because all he cares about is winning, not preparing good food.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Given that his special skill is to copy and upgrade other chefs styles, Subaru has a great set of skills, such as baking, decorating, garnishing and smoked ingredients, with many of the audience comparing his smoke techniques to Shun Ibusaki's, who is known as the "Smoke Prince".
- Jerkass: He provokes the opponents he has to face and challenges them to Shokugeki to get their precious cooking tools.
- Overly Long Tongue: When taunting Takumi right before their duel.
- Practical Taunt:
- Right before their match, Subaru pressed Takumi's Berserk Button by insulting Isami, so he can have a Shokugeki.
- He tries this again with Soma, hoping his win over Takumi would make him fly off the handle and accept his Shokugeki out of anger. While Soma does take the challenge, he's unimpressed by Subaru's verbal bullying. Not only does he keeps a cool head during their encounter, Soma, with no hesitation whatsoever, raises the stakes in their Shokugeki, much to Subaru's shock.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He's an intimidatingly huge guy with the Face of a Thug, but he's very skilled in embroidery and other delicate works. Megumi also gets surprised by seeing him in a frilly apron. And his precise handwork with desserts lets him look like a maiden, much to the horror of the audience.
- Red Baron: According to Eizan, he's called "King of Stalkers". His second nickname is "Perfect Tracer".
- Slasher Smile: Accompanied by his Overly Long Tongue whenever he is challenging his pray.
- Smarter Than You Look: He looks like a Delinquent (he probably is), but he's very intelligent guy.
- Smug Snake: He's very good, but he's also overconfident. He begins gloating during his match with Souma, but he assumed Souma had stopped preparing some time before whereas Souma was testing new improvements in his head right until the end. He has a Villainous Breakdown when he inevitably loses but upon recognizing that Souma's dish was better, he tries to quit as a chef, but Souma tells him not to be stupid and to learn from the experience.
- Stalker Without a Crush: It's stated that he's this; he knows details about people that any other shouldn't know.
- Troll: He intentionally upsets people, both to bait them into matches they don't need to enter and to keep them off balance during the match itself.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: As a child, Subaru had tried to be the best in cooking to gain his father's praise and recognition.
- Younger Than He Looks: He's the same age as Soma and the other first year students, but he looks much older than he is.
Voiced by: Shizuka IshigamiA freshman tasked by Erina with ridding of the Donmono Research Society (Don RS) Club to make room for another cooking lab, but is challenged and defeated by their guest chef Soma to a Shokugeki, with the match conditions forcing her to join said club. Ikumi's specialty is meat, but she slowly shifts her cooking into donburi (beef bowl) dishes and how meat complements other ingredients.
- All Love Is Unrequited: A Running Gag in the series has Ikumi trying to do something nice for Soma, only to either Soma not noticing her obvious crush on him, something else in the way (Ikumi finds out Soma didn't join the Don RS, leaving her with Kanachi; or when she found out that she wasn't going to be alone with him, as Mayumi was also there), or others teasing her about it.
- Ambiguously Brown: Her name implies she's Japanese, but dark skin and blonde hair is natural (rather than the deliberate style), so it's not entirely clear.
- Awesome but Impractical: Originally, Ikumi used expensive grade-A5 wagyu beefnote . Her first idea to use A5 meat for a local karaage business is discarded automatically because it costs too much for a middle-class shopping district. After some advice from Soma, she starts to learn how to use the whole dish as a unit, no matter what kind of meat she is using.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Although she technically isn't this in Don RS, Ikumi is far more skilled than Kanachi, who is the president (and the only other member left) of the club.
- Berserk Button:
- Don't call her "Nikumi". Unless you happen to be Souma.
- Never put sauce on wagyu beef, as one of Those Two Guys found out in a painful way.
- Big Breast Pride: Nikumi is certainly confident of her assets, and is constantly wearing clothing that reveals her cleavage.
- Character Development: Originally an arrogant student-cook employed by Erina, after a humbling Shokugeki and being forced to join the same club she was tasked to destroy, Ikumi starts to realize her own desire for approval by simply being herself, turning her talents into donburi.
- Crippling Overspecialization: She loses the match against Soma because the only thing she bothers to focus on in cooking is meat. The dish isn't really balanced right, causing the flavors to conflict. The judges don't eat all of it as a result, leaving Soma the clear winner before the results are even announced. She has since remedied it come the Fall Classic preliminaries, as the judges who heard of her reputation beforehand were surprised at how better-balanced her dish has become.
- Defeat Means Friendship: By Soma, as also she develops a crush to him. And by extension, she also befriends his roommates and the Aldini twins.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She starts to mellow out towards Soma, and integrates well into the Don RS as well as the circle of friends from the Polaris Dorms.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Nikumi", where "niku" means "meat" in Japanese. The only one allowed to call her that is Soma.
- Foil: Two examples:
- To Mayumi — both have unrequited crushes on Soma, but while Ikumi is more imposing, voluptuous and aggressive, Mayumi is shy, petite, humble and quiet.
- To Yuuki — both specialize in meat are very supportive of their circle of friends, but in contrast to cheerful Yuuki, Ikumi has trouble expressing her feelings.
- Freudian Excuse: On her ninth birthday, her mother gave her a teddy bear as a gift. Unfortunately, her father destroyed it, telling his wife to never give their daughter another gift like that, and advising Ikumi to let go of any weaknesses to become worthy of the family business. This explains her appearance and attitude.
- This also explains her crush on Soma: Since her father prohibited her from showing her soft side, Soma was the first person ever to say openly that she was "cute" in a positive way, just as she felt for the first time that she could be herself when trying his donburi.
- Graceful Loser: Implied. After being forced against her will to join the Don RS, she serves don in several friendly competitions and does it well, indicating that she takes her membership in the Don RS seriously in spite of being forced into it.
- Hidden Depths: Her attitude is bold and aggressive, but it's hinted that she would like to be more feminine. However, her father raised her to avoid associating with anything that could be considered weak.
- Humble Pie: She was Erina's henchwoman who liked to bully the clubs she was going to close. Not only did she lose the shokugeki against Soma, but he defeated her A5 wagyu dish with a cheap steak from the market, which made the judges finish their bowls while hers was barely touched. After the defeat, Erina ditched her and she had to join the Don RS.
- Knife Nut: Has a knife strapped to her right leg and her favorite is a butcher knife.
- The Lad-ette: Has Boyish Short Hair, physically strong, Hot-Blooded, intimidating, loves meat and can beat guys up. She easily knocks out one of Those Two Guys out from the Polaris Dormitory.
- Ms. Fanservice: Almost always seen in Stripperific clothing, even when wearing her school uniform.
- Lampshaded in a bonus, where Soma asks her why she cooks in bikini when hot oil can reach her, to which Ikumi replies "a Chef mustn't be afraid of the kitchen".
- Non-Uniform Uniform: Wears her shirt unbuttoned, revealing different bikini tops, and her tie is on her right leg. It's surprising to others when she shows up wearing her uniform properly.
- Ojou: Judging from appearance and personality, one wouldn't see this, but the Mito family founded it business by distributing and selling meat across Japan. A flashback reveals Ikumi lives in a Big Fancy House and wore an elegant dress when she was a child.
- Oral Fixation: Has to the tendency to lick her lips. It's justified since her lips are the most sensitive part of her body in terms of rating meat temperature and taste.
- Punny Name: "Mito" is a pun on the English word "meat". Her nickname "Nikumi" contains the Japanese word "niku" for "meat".
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: At one point, she offers a poor shopping district an amazing deal on A5 beef. It’s still far, far out of their realistic price range, but when Souma politely declines she gets puzzled at him apparently holding back out of politeness.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the tomboy to Mayumi's girly girl
- Tsundere: Ikumi denies being attracted to Soma, and will often yell how she doesn't care about the Don RS, even though she's embracing the donburi style.
- Slasher Smile: Does this often, usually when cooking
- Starter Rival: The first opponent who requires extensive planning from Soma to defeat rather than his usual improvisation.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Tough and aloof to everyone, except when she blushes notably every time she talks about Soma.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Her cooking uniform is a bikini top and mini-shorts.
Voiced by: Yuki OnoTakumi's younger twin brother, Isami always stands alongside his brother to make Italian cuisine, with the same skill set learned from Trattoria Aldini.
- Acrofatic: When chubby, despite his large size, Isami is very quick at cleaning and cutting the ingredients, let alone synchronizing his movements perfectly with Takumi.
- Adrenaline Make Over: More accurately "Under Pressure Slim Down".
- Always Someone Better: Isami sees his brother Takumi as the one to beat since they learned to cook. He learned to accept the fact, but he still hopes to surpass him someday.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: When they're not in the kitchen, Isami enjoys teasing Takumi by reminding him to not cry or how he is more mature than him. He also openly laughs at Takumi whenever his boasts fail.Isami: (pointing to Takumi, who is babbling alone) "You can just ignore him when he starts talking nonsense like that."Yuuki: (thinking) That's family for you... He doesn't go easy on him.
- Big Little Brother: Not only he is One Head Taller than Takumi, he also acts like the more down-to-earth of the twins whenever they're interacting with others.
- Bishōnen: When he loses weight during the summer, he looks much more attractive.
- But Not Too Foreign: The Aldini twins are half Japanese, but grew up in Italy. They've used the unique upbringing to make more flexible dishes such as using Japanese ingredients in an Italian style or vice versa.
- Culture Clash: A minor one, as he is confused about Japanese custom of "cheering fans with names".
- Eyes Always Shut: Mostly when he's chubby. He averts it when he loses weight.
- Formerly Fat/Formerly Fit: Zigzagged, in that he slims down during summer, then regains weight around autumn and winter.
- Gentle Giant: Unlike his Challenge Seeker brother, Isami is always calm and polite to everyone despite his chubby and intimidating looks.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: The only physical thing the twins have in common from their Italian heritage. They were straight up innocent when they were children.
- Messy Hair: In contrast to his blonde twin, Isami's hair is black and spiky.
- Sibling Rivalry: Although Takumi is the better chef, Isami expresses his desire to surpass his brother.
- Straight Man: He is this whenever Takumi ends up embarrassing himself with his Hot-Headed persona.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Only during the summer.
Voiced by: Shinji KawadaA second-year student, president of the Donmono Research Society (Don RS) and, aside from Ikumi, the only member left.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Konishi is something of a fanboy for Ikumi, which just pisses her off or embarrasses her.
- Alliterative Name
- Covert Pervert: Even though he is afraid of Ikumi, he can't help but peeking at her bikini or even noting her appeal.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Downplayed. The dude's definitely kind of a goof and while his skills probably aren't good enough to match Ikumi's or Souma's, he's still a second year student who's already gone through and survived all the challenges Souma and the others are dealing with as freshmen.
- Expressive Hair: When he's excited his pompadour goes up, but when he's depressed, his pompadour goes down.
- Face of a Thug: Has the looks of Japanese Delinquents, but is a fairly good guy and believes in donburi as a biker's meal.
- A Father to His Men: Given that Ikumi is the only other Don RS member left (and only in it by way of a Shokugeki loss), he constantly fills the Over-Enthusiastic Parents role for her. Ikumi is far from amused by this.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: He firmly believes in this. In a bonus, Ikumi tells Kanachi made her use leather jackets because, as a part of the Don RS, they all must look like bikers.
- Hot-Blooded: Whenever he talks about donburi.
- Improbable Hairstyle: In an Omake, Megumi is helping him tape the chunk of hair back after Ikumi angrily cuts it off. In the anime, it's still on his head in episode 7 during the Shokugeki after Ikumi chopped it off in the previous episode.
- Mr. Exposition: He informs Soma on how Erina manages to close clubs she doesn't like and also explains the meaning of the meat rankings.
- Save Our Club: One of Soma's first Shougeki involves saving the Don RS Club from becoming another of Erina's cooking labs. Soma not only succeeds, but also increased the club's budget and gets Ikumi to join it, after most of the members left Kanachi by himself.
- Supporting Leader: He is the president and was the only remaining member of the original club, until Ikumi was forced to join. While he is not technically the best cook at the RS, he is still the most experienced about donburi and provides accurate feedback regarding recipes and research.
- Tears of Joy: Has this moment when Soma recognizes that the club did make many interesting recipes.
- Traumatic Haircut: Ikumi chopped off half of his hair after he called her "Nikumi". He is seen with a bandage around the portion that was cut off for a while afterwards.
Heiress to a Chinese restaurant in Yokohama, Miyoko's specialty are Chinese techniques and wok maneuvers.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Serious, tall, imposing and with a big fanbase, despite the fact she Does Not Like Men; all checked.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: After seeing Megumi's performance in the preliminaries and the support she gets from guys, she starts to question if her Straw Feminist mindset will really take her anywhere.
- Does Not Like Men: The restaurant her father owns is full of Straw Misogynists who looked down on her cooking skills because of her gender and had tried to drive her out of the kitchen, causing her to have a low opinion of men in general.
- Dude Magnet: Has a huge group of guys cheering for her
- Foil: For Megumi — where Miyoko is a stern, strong, and man-hating lone wolf, Megumi is shy, humble, trusting and surrounded by males who love her talents.
- Freudian Excuse: The head chef at her family's restaurant told all the other cooks in private that he intended to drive her out, meaning she had to both be better than him and to maintain a defensive attitude against him and the others to keep her place.
- Graceful Loser: After the preliminaries conclude, she approaches Megumi to give her support for the next round, indicating Megumi earned her respect as a chef.
- Heir Club for Men: Wants to graduate from Tootsuki to be able to manage her family's Chinese restaurant, where all the male cooks underestimate her because of her gender.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Mixed with Statuesque Stunner - she's at least a head taller than Megumi.
- Jerkass Realization: Admits that she misjudged Megumi when she sees that not only did Megumi outscore her in the preliminaries, but also had the full support of the men in her village. The way she is now, Miyoko simply can't really run a kitchen properly.
- Perpetual Frowner: She rarely ever smiles
- Qipao: Wears one during the preliminary rounds of the Fall Classic, causing at least one judge to get Nosebleed and most of the guys to go excited.
- Straw Feminist: Miyoko starts defending Megumi against anyone questioning how she got into the Fall Classic, but withdraws her statement when she hears about Soma helping Megumi, assuming the latter is weak for apparently depending on a guy to help her when in truth Souma mostly just helped her regain her confidence. A flashback reveals most of the chefs she worked with at her family restaurant were Jerkasses, giving her this mindset.
- Weapon of Choice: Her signature dishes are made with a special metal wok, and heavier than regular ones.
Erina's first-year stalker, forced to watch her idol from a distance after losing a Shokugeki to Hisako and being handed a 50-meter restraining order. Her speciality is boiled dishes, and despite the food being horrifically pungent, they taste unusually phenomenal.
- Ambiguously Gay: Has a crush on Erina, constantly speaking about how much she wants Erina to taste her dish and scold her. Later, she begins creeping on Hisako after being thoroughly defeated a second time.
- Abhorrent Admirer: She stalks Erina. Hisako got an unofficial restraining order for her in middle school, so Nao just sends tons of letters to Erina every day. Later, she grows obsessed with Hisako, who is even more disturbed.
- Beautiful All Along: When she's drawn in a serious style instead of her cackling witch pose, she's shown to be gorgeous. It only lasts for a single panel, though.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Her dishes smell horrible and use unusual ingredients, but the quality of flavor is superior than the average Tootsuki student.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Inverted, then played straight, in a manner of speaking. Being beaten in a Shokugeki by Hisako during middle school made Nao hate her even more, but when she ate Hisako's curry dish in the Fall Classic, whereupon Nao develops a crush on Hisako, to her utter disgust.
- Expy: To Sadako Yamamura in terms of appearance, as well as to Tomoko Kuroki by way of her creepy obsession with Erina (and later Hisako).
- Giggling Villain: When alone, Nao tends to do a "Hihihi!" laugh out of nowhere, creeping out anyone around her.
- Hollywood Restraining Order: Back in middle school, she lost to Hisako, and as per Shokugeki stipulation was forced to be no less than 50 meters away from Erina. Too bad it didn't include stalking with binoculars or sending more than 30 letters per day.
- In Love with Your Carnage: When she sees Hisako behead a living turtle during her match with Hayama, Nao grows even more creepily infatuated.
- Mess on a Plate: The curry dish she made for the Fall Classic prelims looks and smells terrible, but tastes so good the judges can't stop eating it. The reaction of the judges compares it to BDSM.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her long hair covers half of her face.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches her waist and covers half of her face.
- Red Baron: "The Boiling Witch".
- She Cleans Up Nicely: She's drawn in a slightly more comical style than the rest of the characters, generally hunched over and cackling with her hair a mess. When she gets cleaned up for a single panel imagine spot thanks to Hisako’s cooking, she looks incredibly beautiful. She instantly goes back to normal, however.
- Stalker with a Crush: She stalks Erina, but she has to keep to a distance of 50m.
- Stalker Without a Crush: Wants to take Hisako's spot as Erina's secretary that she challenges her to a Shokugeki; it doesn't work. Since then, Nao attempts to find a way to defeat Hisako. Irony abounds when she turns into a Stalker with a Crush on Hisako after being beat again at the Fall Classic.
- Wicked Witch: When cooking, she looks more like a witch stirring a cauldron, leading to her title as the Boiling Witch.
Voiced by: Rina HidakaMaster of Ceremonies of Shokugekis and other competitions at Tootsuki.
- Attention Whore: She gets irritated if someone else steals her thunder.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Acts all cute and innocent, but curses at Ikumi in a bonus chapter for getting more attention. She also lies about her tastes to make herself look better.
- Feigning Intelligence: According to the Omake Chapter 14.5, she states her favorite book is The Little Prince (she never read it) and her favorite movie is Amélie (it's really Drunken Master 2).
- Foil: To the other host Yua Sasaki in the Fall Classic, her polar opposite in personality.
- Genki Girl: She's a very cheerful and energetic host and keeps the male audience very invested.
- Green-Eyed Monster: As soon as Ikumi appeared on stage, she internally cursed Ikumi and called her a "Holstein cow". She also had the same reaction towards Miyoko Hojou and Alice Nakiri.
- The Host: Was the MC for the Shokugeki between Soma and Ikumi, and for the Block B of the Fall Classic. She's also the one who announces the details for the Classic. It also seems to be her only role, as she is also a Tootsuki student but we never get to see her cooking level.
- Running Gag: Her getting irritated whenever she loses the audience's attention. Also, if there's a shot of the crowd reacting to her, half of them will be boys cheering wildly, the other half will be girls growling in irritation that she's hogging all of the attention.
- School Idol: Very popular among the guys due to her role as MC
Mitsuru SoutsudaClick to see image A ninth-grader from Tootsuki's middle-school division and member of its Newspaper Club, as well as the sole exception to the school's news reporters highly critical of Soma.
- Adorkable: He is a cute middle-school student who worships Soma and follows him with all his reporter equipment. In Chapter 82, he even prepared lunch for Soma.
- Audience Surrogate: As he is investigating Soma, he brings the point of view of someone new to his cooking style during the test runs.
- Fanboy: Of Soma. He was fascinated by him since the preliminary round of the Fall Classic. Later it's revealed he is the only member of the newspaper who is focused on Soma, since all his senpais are interviewing Subaru.
- Fan of Underdog: He's one of the few students who actually likes Souma and for the same reason most of the other students don't: He's always at the disadvantage yet overcomes the odds, which he finds inspiring.
- Keet: He is cheerful and optimistic about everything Soma does, taking note and pictures of everything.
- My God, What Have I Done?: He started crying in despair when he realized that he unintentionally leaked data about Soma to Subaru.
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: Subaru later points out that accessing his PC was the easiest part, because Mitsuru used his own birthday date as password.
- School Newspaper News Hound: He is one of the juniors of the Tootsuki Sports, the school's newspaper. He wants to be great reporter rather than a good cook.
- Tag Along Kid: Soma doesn't consider him of much help, since he got full of his test dishes instead of giving him any constructive criticism. Still, Soma allows him to tag along to Erina's house.
Tetsuji KabutoyamaClick to see image An eleventh-grader and Soma's first Shokugeki opponent after Stagiaire Month.
- Badass: Besides being one of the few 91st Generation students to survive into their second year, he also has a victory rate of 80% to boot.
- Challenge Seeker: He is one of the many who looks forward to challenge Soma, so they can refine their skills.
- Graceful Loser: After Soma defeats him, he accepted the defeat with a smile and agreed to teach him his specialty.
- Red Baron: The "Iron Skewer".
- The Worf Effect: He's the first of Soma's second-year challengers... which means he's also the first to be off-paneled. At the end of Chapter 117, the real focus of the arc comes up as challenges to the Elite Ten begin.
- Worthy Opponent: He considers Soma to be this, since he already passed the three main events (Training Camp, Fall Classic and Stagiaire Month) that sets him up as a contender. However, he's beaten off-panel in just a few pages, along with all the other challengers.
Kiyoshi GodabayashiClick to see image
Voiced by: Kenji NomuraA second-year and president of Chan RS Club, which was rendered defunct after losing a Shokugeki against Erina.
- Big "NO!": His club was demolished and he could only scream as it went down.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: His Shokugeki against Erina turns out to be this for him. Even if he was a year older than her, he still had no chance against "God's Tongue", landing her all the votes.
- Sacrificial Lamb: His Shokugeki against Erina serves only to showcase her power and authority to close any club she wants.
Legendary Tootsuki Academy Alumni
- The Ace: All of them are considered the best chefs from their respective generations. They're called the "Legendary Alumni" with all the merits since only a handful of students can graduate. Gin and Koujirou held the First Seat of the Elite Ten in their respective generations, while Jouichirou (who did not graduate), Hinako, Fuyumi, Taki and Sonoka were Second Seats.
- Everyone Went to School Together: They all know each other as alumni. Gin and Jouichirou are from the 69th Generation, Hitoshi's year is unknown, Koujirou and Fuyumi are from the 79th, and Hinako and Donato are from the 80th, the latter four being good friends at school. Gin and Jouichirou are also acquaintances with Jun, who is from the 74th generation and then a middle-schooler. Also Taki (88th) and Sonoka (89th) seem to know each other as well.
- Red Baron:
- Koujirou: "The Légumes Magician" (Vegetarian Magician)
- Gin: "Living Legend"
- Hinako: "Mist Queen"
- Donato Gotouda: "The Lady Killer"
- Supreme Chefs: Gin and Koujirou were First Seats in their their time, with Jouichirou and Fuyumi as their respective Second-Seat counterparts; the others hold a reputation of being Tootsuki's best students in a generation and are asked to be the judges during the training camp.
- Teen Genius: Aside of most having an Elite Ten seat, all of them have the distinction of opening successful restaurants not long after graduating Tootsuki. For example, Koujirou became the first Japanese winner of the Bocuse d'Or, France's highest culinary award, while Taki and Sonoka, only less than 4 years older the Soma, Erina, Megumi, etc., already own successful restaurants in their early 20s.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: At the end of training camp, after suffering hard challenges every single day, the students who pass get a special dinner made by the alumni.
Voiced by: Yuuichi NakamuraOwner of French cuisine restaurant SHINO's, Koujirou was a 79th Generation alumnus and First Seat of the Elite Ten back in his day, as well as the very first Japanese chef to win the Bocuse d'Or, France's most prestigious culinary tournament. Also infamous for his insufferable attitude and incredibly strict regimen.
- Birds of a Feather: With Soma, almost to the point of being a non-related Generation Xerox in Tootsuki. Both are red-haired, love challenges, hate losing, hail from simple backgrounds, and pushed themselves beyond the limits to perfect their skills. Both also have developed intense rivalries between each other, and with stubborn Ice Queen rivals (Erina and Fuyumi, respectively).
- Bishounen: Has very impressive looks and handsome features. However, his friends all agree that his crappy social skills cancel it out, meaning he still can't hold on to a girlfriend.
- Break the Cutie: He left Japan with youthful hopes and dreams of making it big in France. He came home with a Bocuse d'Or medal, but a soul shattered by years of struggle and discrimination.
- The Bus Came Back: He reappears after the Fall Classic, having opened his first overseas SHINO's branch in Japan... which so happens to be Soma's second Stagiaire assignment.
- The Cynic: Considers himself the only reliable person in the kitchen, believing the staff will bring him down.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Back in his youth Koujirou was determined to start a restaurant in France. While moderately successful, his staff began dismissing him for being a foreigner, sabotaging his recettes to the point he almost went out of business. This is what makes him the hardened, stern chef he is now.
- The Dutiful Son: He took an interest in French cuisine because his mother, after saving money to take him to a French restaurant to celebrate his admission to grade school, was so happy eating the food that he made his goal in life to excel at it.
- The Fashionista: His casual clothes are very stylish, has an earring in his left ear and on his first day at the training camp he fired a student because of the smell of his shampoo.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Is the only examiner in the training camp who wears glasses, and considered the worst of the lot. He immediately expels a student before camp officially begins because he used a strong-smelling shampoo, and "fires" Megumi for altering his recipe even though her reasons are justified and threatens to do the same to Soma for coming to her defense.
- French Cuisine Is Haughty: Already a French cuisine expert as a student, Koujirou was convinced he will make a name in France as the best French-Japanese chef. After a long struggle and Break the Haughty process, not only did he succeed, but he became more arrogant, as he refused any slight alterations to the recipes as he considered them already perfect.
- Freudian Excuse: Koujirou did his best to ensure SHINO's would thrive, but the other French chefs disliked him simply because he was Japanese and wouldn't follow his recipe to the letter. He barely managed to keep it afloat after emotionally hardening himself, getting rid of anyone who questioned his skills in the kitchen. Unfortunately, being stuck with this mindset meant he refused to make exceptions or try other methods to his dishes after reaching the top, allowing his skills and standards to stagnate.
- Goal in Life
- His primary motive was to be the first Japanese chef in France with the Bocuse d'Or Medal. After winning, he lacked a new motivation and kept cooking without improving.
- After his Heel Realization with Megumi's dish, Koujirou decides to be the first Japanese chef in France to achieve three stars (likely the Michelin format) for his restaurant.
- Gratuitous French: Occasionally uses French phrases, such as saying "recette" instead of recipe, and sarcastically refers to Gin as Monsieur when accepting the unofficial Shokugeki.
- Hero of Another Story: He is the main character of the Spin-Off Etoile, focusing on his earlier days struggling to survive in the French culinary world.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: When he realizes his own inadequacies as a cook, he actually votes against himself in a Shokugeki against Megumi and Soma.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Discussed by Gin, who wonders why Koujirou didn't prepare one of his special dishes in the unsanctioned Shokugeki against Soma and Megumi. Lampshaded by the other Legendary Alumni.Koujirou: "My opponents are just students. Did you think I'd be so merciless?"
Hitoshi: "He'd do it."
Donato: "He'd defeat them so easily that they can't ever cook again."
- Subverted when Gin deduces correctly it was a way for Koujirou to cover his stagnating culinary skills.
- Jerkass: During his time at France he grew much harsher in order to control his chefs, who kept altering his recipes and bringing down the reputation of Shino's. His assignment during training camp is also set up so that not everyone can pass due to either poor ingredients or altering the recipe to account for the ingredients, and fails one student simply because his shampoo's citrus scent is too strong and might interfere with cooking.
- Jerkass Realization: During his match with Megumi, he does a technically perfect dish that is far better than Megumi's elegant and supportive dish, netting him all three votes. However, Gin gives a bonus vote for Megumi for thinking of the customer's needs and prompts Koujirou to try it himself. When he does, he judges that it's far below the quality of what he made, but is cooked using a more flexible style intended to suit the consumer's tastes. He gives a bonus vote of his own to his competitor and when the score ends up tied following Hinako's unofficial vote, he realizes he could both learn something from her and that failing her before really wasn't fair. He lets her pass and when he shows up again, he seems to be acting more like he was as a student which is still rather unsocial and demanding, but less aggressive. His staff members are quite surprised at how much less difficult he's become.
- Morton's Fork: He sets up his assignment in the training camp such that it's impossible for everyone to pass. Produce a substandard dish because you are shoved away from the ingredients until only inferior ones are left? Fail for having a non-tasty dish; change the recipe slightly to improve the taste to compensate for inferior ingredients? Fail, because changing the recipe isn't allowed, and therefore, forbidden (as opposed to most challenges being "anything not forbidden is allowed").
- Neck Lift: More like a Face Lift once Hinako was about to refer to a particular Noodle Incident.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: In Etoile Chapter 3, on his very first job after graduation he catches a sous chef cajoling a meat vendor into spiking up his prices (with said chef taking the extra cash). He lets the chef off the hook, warning him to never do that again. The next day, Koujirou is fired for apparently messing up a recette (which he senses was an inside job by that same chef).
- No Social Skills: He's not the easiest person to get along with, and he gets into plenty of brawls with other kids when he was younger. Lampshaded by his peers before he leaves for France after graduating from Tootsuki.Hinako: "Shinomiya-senpai isn't sociable so he definitely won't make any friends. I'm sure he'll also fight with the other staff!"
Fuyumi: "I agree with that..."
- Rich Boredom: After winning the Bocuse d'Or, he becomes a stern chef who wouldn't alter his mindset or recipes for anything in the world.
- Self-Made Man: Unlike many rich students, Koujirou came from the countryside.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: During Soma's Stagiaire period at his restaurant, he refuses to give him any tips or advice and only tells him to step up and learn the ropes himself. This is because he genuinely believed that Soma could overcome this challenge by himself since he had the guts to challenge him to an unofficial Shokugeki.
- Stern Teacher: He is very strict towards his interns, employees and the students, immediately firing the ones who don't meet his expectations. After the Training Camp and his own Heel Realization, he mellows a bit and starts rewarding his employees when he returns, but still dope slaps with no hesitation. His sous chef and interns, on the other hand, admire his skills and try to learn everything they can from him.
- Took a Level in Kindness: According to his staffs, while still strict, Koujirou has somewhat become more approachable after returning from training camp. Particularly, his sous chef Abel notes the contrast between his past self, who threatened to fire him for voicing an opinion, to his current self, where he is now more open to suggestions and new recipes from anyone.
- When Soma asked him why he chose to follow French cuisine, he had a flashback to himself about the love for his mother and having her as an inspiration. Of course, Koujirou declined to answer with a frown.
- Happens again when Soma submitted his new dish for his first Shino's branch in Japan. Instead of complimenting his effort and offer him some advice, Koujirou claims it was low-level and he can show him how to make it better. Of course Hinako and Lucie were quick to notice this and tease him even more when Soma called him "Master" (earning them a face-lift). Days after Soma's Stagiaire shift, his dish has become a part of the menu.
- In Etoile, it is shown that deep down he did care about Hinako being upset over him leaving to France on short notice, but he just kept the cocky façade in front of everyone.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With the rest of the Legendary Alumni, especially Hinako and Fuyumi. He and Hinako bicker a lot, while he enjoys provoking Fuyumi into Shokugekis. Nevertheless, when he refused Gin's offer to judge at the Fall Classic, he ends his call by having him send his regards to both women.
- What You Are in the Dark: Gin lampshades this to him during his time spending at France. Finally becomes subverted during training camp, when Soma and Megumi challenged him to a Shokugeki, and Gin forced him to confront his demons and return to the way he was.
- Worthy Opponent: After Soma screwed up on his first day at the trial shift, the others questioned why Kojirou didn't give him any feedback. Days laters, Koujirou is pleased that Soma managed to bounce back on his own, since he expected it from the only person who provoked him.
- Would Hit a Girl: Played for Laughs as he shows no qualms in Dope Slapping Hinako whenever she is being too goofy for him to handle (that or grabbing her by the face and lifting her into the air). The same with Lucie.
Voiced by: Takehito KoyasuGeneral Head Chef of Tootsuki Resort and a member of the board of directors, Gin supervises the freshmen training camp. A former roommate in the Polaris Dormitory with 69th Generation batch-mate Jouichirou and their middle-school underclassman Jun, he was the First Seat of the Elite Ten.
- The Ace: Seems to be the head among the alumni. He was even Tootsuki's best student-chef, beating Jouichirou by one seat, who then became a god figure in the culinary world.
- The Bus Came Back: He returns as guest judge for the second round of the Fall Classic.
- Cool Teacher: He is capable of seeing how other people can be better chefs. Also, when asked why he still works for Tootsuki rather than opening his own restaurant, Gin always puts the students and his alma mater as his first priority.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Fully supports this way of thinking. He called Megumi's hospitality a powerful weapon, and encouraged her to polish it. Two months later, Megumi is in the top eight of the first year cooks. It's been hinted that Jouichirou himself now cooks with kindness, and did not when he was in school, which is likely where Gin got this belief from.
- Hyper Awareness: Gin is the first to notice that Koujirou is preparing one of his basic dishes instead of going full-force against Soma and Megumi in their unofficial Shokugeki, in the process realizing that he was trying to hide the fact that his skills hadn't improved much since graduating. He also notes later that Akira's obsession with winning the Fall Classic, warning him to be careful in controlling himself, but decides that as long as he has Ryou and Soma to keep him grounded things will probably be okay.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's very well-built, and has been shown naked at least twice.
- Naked First Impression: How Soma meets Gin in the public bath.
- Rated M for Manly: Has a really muscular body with a similar masculine aura like Jouichirou.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- He forces Koujirou to accept a match with seemingly nothing in it for him because he feels the latter’s current thinking is flawed. However, he also points out that if Soma handles the match for Megumi then even if he wins, Megumi will have learned and proved nothing, so she’s forced to handle the cooking herself with Soma as her silent assistant.
- In Chapter 92, he sees that putting a lot of pressure on Sonoka to break the tie between Akira and Ryou was unfair for her, so he convinced the Elite Ten to make the Finals a three-way match between them and Soma.
- The Rival: To Jouichirou back in their high-school days, as he had the First Seat above Jouichirou. Even after so many years, Gin still sees Jouichirou's long shadow in the form of his son.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Koujirou; this comes to a head when Gin specifically orchestrated the Shokugeki between him and Megumi and Soma, to give the girl a second chance and to get his fellow alumnus out of his creative rut.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: During reaction shots at least. Gin shows up, dressed as a magical girl when reacting to Shinomiya's dish and later appears dressed as a schoolgirl in his reaction to Soma's beef stew.
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto80th Generation alumna, former Second Seat of the Elite Ten, and proprietor of the Japanese cuisine restaurant Kirinoya.
- Ambiguously Bi: On one hand, Hinako enjoys flirting with her female underclassmen. She said Megumi is her "type", tells Taki how cute she is when she smiles, and loves to hold their hands. On the other hand, she also likes teasing Koujirou, bordering on a Ship Tease.
- The Bus Came Back: Hinako, along with Fuyumi and Gin, are chosen to be judges for the second round of the Fall Classic.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: She almost blabbered about the unofficial Shokugeki between Shinomiya and Megumi/Soma in front of Roland. The others are quick to distract him while both Fuyumi and Koujirou dope slapped her.
- Cuteness Proximity:
- She gets easily distracted when Megumi is near, having to be reminded by the other Legendary Alumni to get back to supervising.
- Happens also when she notices Taki smiling when tasting Soma's "Amusement Park Stew", and compliments with misty eyes how smooth her hands are.
- Fangirl: Of Megumi's following her unofficial Shokugeki against Koujirou. When training camp is over, she, Hitoshi and Donato offer Megumi to do internships in their respective restaurants.
- Hypocritical Humor: Seems to come to Megumi's rescue when Gotouda starts flirting with her, only to prove she's just as bad when she instantly starts flirting with Megumi herself (and Megumi finds her even more scary, because Hinako would go even further by stroking her cheeks, caressing her hands and say "[Megumi] is so sweet she could eat her"). She also frequently gives rather unwanted compliments or stares lustfully at Megumi across the room.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Her goofy personality keeps the Megumi/Soma vs. Koujirou match from getting too tense, such as complimenting a bad pun Souma made or constantly having to be tied up again to keep from annoying Koujirou while he's cooking.
- Sempai/Kohai: She is the kohai to Gin, Koujirou and Fuyumi back in their high-school days.
- Tender Tears: Shown openly crying after Koujirou's graduation, upset that he's leaving for France on short notice.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Comes along as this towards Koujirou. Hinako frequently makes fun of him, and Shinomiya would Dope Slap her (or even grab her by the head and lift her) in response. However, they still get along really well, and she seems to be very eager to support his work.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Subverted. She may look gentle, but she's actually quite a tease — she purposely dwindled when asked to judge between Soma and Takumi's dishes before hastily announcing a draw when her group was ordered to return to the HQ, and she seems to enjoy making fun of Shinomiya. She's also pretty excitable and enjoys flirting with high school girls.
Donato GotoudaClick to see image
Voiced by: Takayuki KondōHinako's half-Italian batch-mate and owner of French auberge Tesoro.
- But Not Too Foreign: His name and appearance implies that he is part-European.
- The Charmer: Immediately flirts with Megumi the moment he is introduced.
- Funny Foreigner: In the anime, his accent is even more thick and his reaction to Erina's food is even more of a Large Ham.
- Gratuitous Italian: In a flashback-bonus, Donato is seen greeting Fuyumi with a "Ciao!"
- Platonic Life Partners: Being batch-mates, he is often seen hanging around with Hinako.
Hinako and Donato's upperclassman from the 79th Generation and owner of Italian-themed "Ristorante F", as well as former Second Seat of the Elite Ten, coming after batch-mate Koujirou.
- Always Someone Better: Back in their Tootsuki days, Kojirou beats her by one Seat, and while Fuyumi got an "A" in Italian cuisine (her speciality), Koujirou got an "A+" there, much to her frustration.
- Boyish Short Hair: Definitely not as feminine or compassionate as Hinako. She's also the only female in the Fall Classic Judge panel to wear pants and a tie.
- The Bus Came Back: Fuyumi, along with Hinako and Gin, are chosen to be judges for the second round of the Fall Classic.
- Deadpan Snarker: Even though she enjoyed the Chou Farci Koujirou made for the unofficial Shokugeki, her comment about it is less than positive."If it could erase my memories regarding Shinomiya, it would've been perfect"
- Not So Stoic: A bonus flashback reveals that the only person who could make her snap and get flustered was Koujirou, as noted by Hinako and Donato.
- The Rival: Back in their high-school days she was this with Koujirou, and has repeatedly challenged him to Shokugekis.
- The Stoic: Constantly shows an indifferent expression. The only time she lapses out of this is when she tastes Koujirou's dish during the unofficial Shokugeki.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She's often deadpan, sarcastic and serious most of the time. Although she and Shinomiya are often butting heads with each other, she wished him well as they left the academy, and recognized that she likes his serious face when cooking.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Koujirou. Back in high-school, she often got irritated by his arrogant smirks, but at the same time respected him as a chef.
Hitoshi SekimoriClick to see image Owner of sushi restaurant Ginza Hinora.
- Eyes Always Shut
- The Generic Guy: His presence doesn't affect much of the story, as he is there to serve as a commentator along with Donato and Fuyumi.
88th Generation alumna and herself a former Second Seat of the Elite Ten, Taki owns the Spanish restaurant Taki Amarillo. She's invited to be guest judge for the Fall Classic 2nd round.
- Establishing Character Moment: In her first appearance, she showed her Hot-Blooded persona when talking about Subaru, her bully qualities (by playing with Sonoka's boobs) and how she didn't respect Hinako as her senpai (but she does respect Fuyumi, though).
- Everyone Has Standards: Even a hot-headed, disrespectful girl like her cannot help but be righteously infuriated at the sight of Subaru spitting chewing gum onto Takumi's Mezzaluna.
- Hot-Blooded: When she recalled how Subaru stained Takumi's Mezzaluna with gum, she started ranting about how she would beat him up until he learned not to mess with her. Also she almost got into a fight with Ryou for yelling at her.
- Jerkass: She is constantly bullying Sonoka, disrespecting her senpais (mostly Hinako) and talking about beating up people she doesn't like. Also she started to berate Soma with only hearing his background as a cook from a special-of-the-day shop.
- Perpetual Frowner: Her introductory chapter shows her frowning most of the time while watching Soma and Subaru's showdown.
- Tsurime Eyes: She has very sharp eyes, which denotes her aggressive attitude.
- When She Smiles: It does happen once she tries the first bite of Soma's Meat Amusement Park, to the point she hallucinates being a schoolgirl at the fair with the other judges. She, begrudgingly, gives her vote to Soma, in spite of having predicted that he was going to be defeated. Hinako is quick to notice how cute she got, to Taki's embarrassment.
Sonoka KikuchiClick to see image 89th Generation alumna and former Second Seat of the Elite Ten, demure Sonoka owns the Western restaurant Shunkatei. She's invited to be guest judge for the Fall Classic 2nd round.
- Extreme Doormat: For a former Second Seat, she's quite submissive. Taki bullies her by calling her "Tit Monster" and she got easily intimidated when Ryou yelled at her to already give her vote and the audience started to criticize her for not making a choice quickly, in both occasions being reduced to tears.
- Foil: To Taki. While Taki is severe looking and flat, she is more mild-mannered and more endowed.
- Gag Boobs: Her breasts are noticeably larger than the rest of the cast (and that's saying something), hence Taki calling her "Tit Monster".
- Nervous Wreck: To decide the result of Akira and Ryou's match, Sonoka crumbles under the pressure of deciding who had to win, to the point the viewers and Ryou himself were pushing her around. It was only because of Gin's intervention that she didn't completely snap.
- Shrinking Violet: She gets easily intimidated by Taki.
Director and Teachers
Voiced by: Banjō GingaHeadmaster of Tootsuki and Erina's grandfather.
- Badass Grandpa: Via his sheer appearance and intimidating aura.
- The Comically Serious: He also has many unintentional funny moments. When he inhaled to give a big speech, he almost choked and proceeded like nothing happened. Also when presenting the staff board the new flyers for an upcoming event, he says proudly that he drew the chibis himself (also implying he did the same poster design for the Training Camp). Some of the members mention that the designs are too friendly and casual for the event.
- Fundoshi: Wears one of these. Cooks with limitless potential can make him subconsciously untie it rather than remove his shirt, as Megumi did.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Everything he does. The man could rival Gai in dramatics.
- Rated M for Manly: For an old man he's pretty muscular and has a very intimidating presence. Also every time he tastes a good dish, he would strip and reveal his muscles as an approval sign.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Senzaemon accepts Soma's application and vetoes Erina's disqualification of him because the guy can cook.
- This is only reinforced further in later chapters, where he is shown to be a fairly nice fellow, giving Alice a smile when she waves at him during the Fall Classic and providing accurate commentary and assessment for the food he tastes without being overly critical to the losers. It's especially notable that there doesn't seem to be anything that he does to warrant the downright demonic reputation he has. He certainly doesn't share Erina's obsession with class and refinement, which makes one wonder where she got it from.
- Red Baron: "Gastric Godfather".
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He has the tendency to strip off his shirt when he eats a good dish.
Voiced by: Yuu MizushimaA stern French chef and lecturer at Tootsuki, as well as head of its French Cuisine Division.
- The Dreaded: Played for Laughs — even now the legendary alumni still fear his wrath long after they've graduated, and they briefly panicked when he almost found out about the unofficial Shokugeki between Koujirou and Megumi/Soma.
- French Jerk: Nicknamed "The Chef Who Doesn't Smile" because his standards are ridiculously high. To emphasize, he states any dish that doesn't reach a grade of "A" is an automatic "E".
- Perpetual Frowner: Almost always seen to be scowling or glaring at someone, hence his nickname "The Chef Who Doesn't Smile".
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Even though he's incredibly strict, he does recognize talent. For example, even when Soma and Megumi had the lowest chances in his class after some students sabotaged their dish, he complimented them for coming up with a creative solution to bounce back. Then he noticed Ikumi's growth as a meat chef during the Fall Classic. Later on, when he got invited to SHINO's last day of trials, he greeted Koujirou, who had been his best student, and complimented him noting that he didn't have any darkness in his cooking anymore, to which he expressed how proud he was.
- Stern Teacher: Has very high standards and very few students can get a smile out of him.
- When He Smiles: The other students are gobsmacked at the sight of the otherwise unsmiling Roland ecstatic over the dish Soma and Megumi prepared for their first class.
74th Generation alumna and second-year professor, as well as Jouichirou and Gin's former roommate at the Polaris Dormitory.
- Apologizes a Lot: Seeing Megumi and Jun interact, Souma’s eyes glaze over as he realizes they’re stuck in an infinite loop of apologies.
- Berserk Button: Never mention Jouichirou's name in front of her
- Disproportionate Retribution: No sooner had Soma mentions he's Jouichirou's son than she punches him without warning. If that isn't enough, Jun flat-out refuses to help him in his spice studies simply because he is Jouichirou's son.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: While she didn't admit it, back when she was Soma's age she was known as "The Consummate Klutz" because of the many mistakes she made during Stagiaire Week.
- First Name Basis: Akira uses her first name, much to her chagrin.
- Foil: To her protege Akira — both know their spices, but Jun merely puts it into theory, while Akira takes a hands-on approach. Unlike the mature, reliable, street smart, cool and down-to-earth Akira, Jun is naive, ditzy, easily angered and dependent.
- Fun Size: Even when Akira was a boy, he was One Head Taller than her.
- Genius Ditz: Jun discovered many formulas and scientific research on spices, but forgets everything else outside of her studies. This is why she relies on Akira to assist her.
- Ms. Exposition: She delivers scientific explanation about how spices work in base of chemistry, and also gives the guys explanation about the other school tradition of Stagiaire Week.
- Noodle Incident: Jouichirou used her for his experiments back in their high school days; whatever he did was something so traumatic it makes her hate him and anything to do with him in the present.
- Older Than They Look: Despite being roughly the same age as Gin and Jouichirou, she still looks like a middle schooler. When Akira was a child, he thought she was a wandering minor alone in a dangerous market. Naturally, he's surprised when Jun tells him she's 26. Jun attributes her young appearance to all the spices she eats, claiming they have medical benefits. Souma thinks it’s a terrible excuse.
- Parental Substitute: Jun took Akira under her wing and served as both his mentor and mother figure.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: She's childish and excitable compared to the aloof and collected Akira.
- Sensei-chan: 34 years old and looks like a middle schooler, unmarried, her best student has a First Name Basis with her, and she's very Hot-Blooded and impulsive.
- Techno Babble: Jun gets into this mode when explaining theories about spices. Akira is tasked with translating it into practical use.
- The Unapologetic: She doesn't apologize to Soma for decking him when he mentions his father; hell, she refuses to aid him because he's his father's son. Akira had to force her to do so, reminding her of her duties and manners as a teacher, but also because she accidentally hits Soma later in the stomach with the door knob.
Other Tootsuki Personnel
Voiced by: Mari Yokoo (elderly) and Hitomi Nabatame (teenager)Housekeeper of the Polaris Dormitory.
- Cool Old Lady: Supports the residents and lets them have parties at night
- Glory Days: Fumio constantly talks of a generation of Polaris residents who were all part of the Elite Ten.
- I Was Quite a Looker: If her flashback (or at least her foodgasm) is any indication, she was quite beautiful in her youth.
- Kindly Housekeeper: Played with; Fumio allows anyone to stay, provided they make her a good dish. Supposedly, it took three months for Megumi to please her.
- Parental Substitute: She's the only adult in the dorm
- Red Baron: "Polaris Maria" and "Polaris Grandma"
- Team Mom: Has a good relationship with the residents and roots for them to pass their challenges. She even keeps in touch with previous students like Gin and Jouichirou.
See the "Legendary Tootsuki Academy Alumni" folder
Hisanao KageuraClick to see image The president of the Shokugeki Administration Bureau.
- Opaque Lenses: His eyes haven't been shown yet.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: He wears a suit with a card motif pattern. People are impressed by that pattern.
- Stoic Glasses: He has always a serious expression and his Opaque Lenses reflects the part.
Alice's Danish-blooded mother, head of Tootsuki's Research Division Nakiri International, and guest judge for the final round of the 43rd Annual Tootsuki Fall Classic.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: She mentions on the open that, right after Alice lost her match against Soma, she called her mother to cry and whine for straight nine hours over long-distance call. Alice is notably annoyed by this.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Leonora is warm and friendly, but she holds an intimidating presence when telling Soma that his dish better be delicious, lest she becomes angry.
- Ditzy Genius: Although she speaks in very basic and broken Japanese that sounds cute to many and Alice notes that her perception of Japan is romanticizednote , she is the current Research Division Head of Tootsuki International in Denmark and part of the Nakiri Family.
- Eating the Eye Candy: She openly comments how hot Soma, Ryou and Akira look while cooking, to which Alice jokingly calls her a "cougar".
- Foreign Fanservice: Aside for being stunningly beautiful with white air and skin, her other main charm is her broken Japanese, which many in the audience find cute.
- Funny Foreigner: After doing an elegant entrance, leaving breathless everyone by how beautiful she is, she suddenly starts talking with broken Japanese and a goofy face. Some of her other hilarious scenes involve the language barriers she encounters, like thinking Erina called her "grandma"note or how eating gloriously delicious dishes makes her speak fluently about it.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: She arrives wearing a purple dress.
- Intimidation Demonstration: When talking to Soma, as she's interested in the person who defeated her daughter in the preliminarily round of Fall Classic. Even her weak Japanese suddenly got better.
- Ms. Fanservice: The first comment from almost everyone in the audience when she enters the arena.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Phoentically, the "o" in her name is written as "ō", which equates to "ou".
- Stacy's Mom: Being Alice's mother doesn't stop the other Tootsuki students from drooling over her beauty.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She is basically a grown-up Alice.
Soma's old hometown, where he grew all his life until his father moved to the United States, enrolling him at his old alma mater Tootsuki.
The Town in General
- Comfort Food: The store owners when Soma re-opens Yukihira during his time off. They're sad because of the decrease in business; Soma lampshades and asks them why they're buying dinner when they should be having money troubles. Store owner Yuuya Tomita asks for seconds.
- Eureka Moment: Even thought Yuuya Tomita suggests adding rice to the fried chicken and dismisses his own idea immediately, this is what finally gives Soma the idea to make the Karaage Roll.
- Genre Savvy: Everyone who is a regular customer is used to the Yukihira's cooking contests. Even for the horrible ones.
- Nervous Wreck: Yuuya Tomita, who is seen crying and freaking out in most of his scenes.
- Power of Friendship: How the district store owners manage to revive business and defeat Mozuya by combining all their specialities into making the solution work.
- Save Our Team: When economy in the neighborhood starts decreasing, Soma lends a hand to revitalize it and provides a small business that also benefits the other stores around. The day is saved thanks to their collective work as a community.
- Shipper on Deck: Aki, Mayumi's best friend, keeps telling her that she should have confessed to Soma before.
Voiced by: Rikiya KoyamaSoma's father, head chef and proprietor of Yukihira, Jouichirou travels overseas to cook and leaves his son to study and sharpen his skills at Tootsuki, where he was a 69th Generation alumnus and Second Seat of the Elite Ten prior to his sudden departure. Despite not completing his education, he holds a reputation for his incredible talents.
- Almighty Janitor: He's spent much of the the series either wandering or running a small special-of-the-day shop. Nevertheless, Jouichirou's an extremely talented world-class chef and former member of the Elite Ten.
- Animal Motifs: He’s occasionally compared to a stray cat. Moody, whimsical, wild and a bit of a tsundere.
- Badass: Easily one of the best chefs in the series, if not the best.
- The Bus Came Back: He briefly visited the Polaris dormitory some time before the Fall Classic tournament, though he stayed for just a few chapters.
- Chick Magnet: Seeing Jouichirou’s sex appeal, the Polaris Dormitory girls begin swooning a little, but since he’s too old for them they begin eying Souma with anticipation.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Not that he is less so as a dad, but back in his high school days he was quite the hottie.
- Irony: Erina judges all chefs by the standards of Jouichirou, the "Asura of the Cooking World," and despises Soma for his experimentalist, trial-and-error style — which is exactly the culinary philosophy Jouichirou the man lives by.
- Like Father, Like Son: Jouichirou makes it obviously clear to the Polaris residents where Soma gets his personality quirks from, including how both of them are Cordon Bleugh Chefs. Later emphasized when Jouichirou tells his son the room he is using in the dormitory is the same one he used back in his day.
- The Maiden Name Debate: He took the name of his wife, which explains why most people do not recognize Soma as his son.
- No Badass to His Valet: Jouichirou is easily one of the best chefs in the series with incredibly desirable food, able to satisfy even Erina. To Soma and the rest of the Polaris Dormitory, his quirks and habits are more acknowledged.
- The Power of Love: Invoked at the end of the first chapter, telling Soma "...the secret to becoming a good chef is meeting a woman that will make you want to give all the food you make her." Unfortunately, his son hangs up the phone call before hearing his advice.
- Rated M for Manly: Due to his appearance, physique and incredibly masculine aura.
- Red Baron: "Asura of Cookery"note and "Wandering Chef"
- The Rival: According to Gin, they both used to be this back in their student years. It's implied that Jouchirou still had to beat Gin.
- Supreme Chef: Jouichirou holds a distinction where doctors, politicians and a priest want a taste of his dishes. He was also the Second Seat of the Elite Ten in his generation. And Erina loves his dishes.
- Took a Level in Kindness: According to Fumio, Jouichirou in the present is absolutely nothing like the brash youth during his Tootsuki days.
- Trickster Mentor: For Soma, who gives him a meager allowance once in a while (despite traveling and working around the world).
- Walking the Earth: He's constantly traveling around the world, hence his nickname the "Wandering Chef".
Voiced by: Ai KakumaSoma's childhood friend and regular client of the Yukihira, Mayumi appears in the pilot chapter, but lacks presence in the story.
- Advertised Extra: Judging by her appearance on the Shonen Jump front cover with Soma and Erina, one would think she was meant to be a heroine.. However, Mayumi does not reappear until Soma returns to the Yukihira, and disappears from the story again when Soma returns to Tootsuki. Suspiciously Similar Substitute is also in play when Megumi is essentially a replacement of her.
- Butt Monkey: Frequently a victim of Soma's experiments before he left for Tootsuki.
- Can Not Spit It Out: Her classmate Aki tries to encourage her to confess to Soma before he departs for Tootsuki. Even when Soma returns briefly, she still keeps quiet about her crush on him.
- Can't Catch Up: The way she feels when Soma starts attending a super-chef academy, especially reinforced when Ikumi is brought on-board to help him with the district store owners, who is physically stunning and skilled in culinary. Mayumi, however, wants to help Soma in any way possible.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: She admits to herself that Soma's squid experiments taste a bit good. Since the reaction to his experiments are akin to being groped by tentacles, she states she likes it happening to her, which implies she may be a Covert Pervert.
- Fangirl: Of Soma. Even after deciding that Jouichirou's dishes are better, she still says that Soma's cooking is almost as good.
- Foil: While both are the same age and share a crush for Soma, Mayumi is shy, small and petite compared to The Lad-ette Ikumi.
- Nice Girl: Mayumi is one of the few Sumire District residents who openly appreciates Soma and Jouichirou's cooking.
- Ordinary High-School Student: How she feels when Soma returns to town and meets Ikumi, both coming from a "super-school of chefs".
- The Reliable One: Soma tells her he always noticed how Mayumi takes care of everything back in elementary school, which is why he trusts her with helping the Sumire shop and their karaage business before he returns to Tootsuki.
- Shrinking Violet: Much like Megumi, Mayumi is quite submissive.
- Those Two Girls: With her classmate Aki, another regular costumer of Yukihira.
Aki KoganeiClick to see image
Voiced by: Yukio FujiiMayumi's best friend and an old schoolmate of Soma prior to his departure for Tootsuki.
DEF Kitchen ChildrenThe DEF Kitchen has classes to teach young children from grades Kindergarten to the 2nd grade how to cook. There is also a class for housewives and middle aged women. The vegetables used in the classroom are supplied by Satoshi Isshiki who sells the vegetables grown in the Polar Star Dormitory plantation. Satoshi helps the school, usually teaching the housewives class due to his popularity with them. Another woman teaches the children's class. Soma and Megumi act as substitute teachers for the children for a day and managed to get the kids interested in cooking by different methods.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Many of the kids tended to play with their toys or the instruments instead of doing the classes. Soma and Megumi managed to get their attention by carving the vegetables into cartoon figures. In the case of Shouta, the teacher gets impressed when Soma actually managed to make him focus on cutting vegetables himself.
- Bratty Half-Pint: As noted quickly, Kanon is also the eldest kid in the class (12 years old). She took the longest to open to Soma.
- Cheerful Child: The class is full of them. Kanon has trouble admitting it, thought.
- Chekhov's Gift: Although it isn't mentioned until Chapter 63, Soma tells Ryoko that the kids gave him a lot of candy, including educational candy◊, which gives Soma an inspiration for his bento in the quarterfinals.
- Fragile Flower: According to the teacher, Ai-chan is very prone to crying, until Megumi gives her more confidence to handle the knife.
- Girlish Pigtails: Kanon, who also wears Proper Tights with a Skirt.
- Mouthy Kid: Kanon is more prominent, as she interrupted Megumi's intents to encourage her.
- Tsundere: Kanon is very cold and aloof until Soma manages to catch her interest in cooking.
Voiced by: Izumi ChibaA ruthless businesswoman and land shark looking for land to develop at the expense of local businesses. Her latest target was Restaurant Yukihira until Soma's dish put an end to her endeavors.
- Alpha Bitch: She doesn't stop until she gets what she wants, has two mooks around her and doesn't hesitate to play dirty.
- Insult Backfire: Intending to offend Soma, she calls Yukihira's a "failure". Right after, Soma taunts her by telling that the addictive dish she liked so much originated by a "failure".
- Ms. Fanservice: Aside from being very well endowed, she also becomes the first one to be subjected to a "foodgasm scene".
- Noblewoman's Laugh: She did this while gloating after destroying all of Yukihira's stock.
- Starter Villain: She and her team are the first task Soma faces to protect his restaurant.
Voiced by: Makoto FurukawaOne of the students who attempted to enter Tootsuki alongside Soma. His family owns a French restaurant.
- Bullying a Dragon: Kinda, Soma tries to be social with him. But upon kicking him off the bench and insulting him. Soma response by grabbing him by the collar, lifting him off his feet and stating he never ate any of the food from their restaurant, so who is he to judge?
- Jerkass: Once he hear hears Soma's restaurant is an Special-Of-The-Day, he kicked him off the bench and insulted him.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Instantly bails out upon realizing that Erina will be judging his cooking.
- Spoiled Brat: Like many of the rich kids that intend to study at Tootsuki, Nikaido snubs Soma as soon as he learns his origins and starts crying to his parents over the phone once Erina was revealed as his examiner.
- Upper-Class Twit: His first scene shows him drinking a cup of tea on a bench while waiting for his entrance examination. When meeting Soma, he immediately assumes Soma's restaurant must be a High-Class one like his, only to reject him immediately once he is told it's just a middle-class business.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Not only he is a One-Shot Character, but he also fled from the entrance exam before showing some skills.
Kinu NakamozuManager of of Mozuya, a big business chain of fast food shops under Etsuya's consulting that threatens the Sumire District.
- Animal Motif: Fittingly a snake, one of the Imagine Spot even paint her with a fork tongue.
- Arc Villain: She is the Villain against the Sumire District, who is also under the supervision of Etsuya Eizan, who seems to be the bigger bad.
- Berserk Button: Gets offended when Soma challenges to make a better Karaage's in her shop.
- Eyes Always Shut: Unless she gets pissed, overly cocky or surprised.
- Just a Kid: A mindset she had of both Soma and Etsuya (whom she also considers a brat, even planning on cutting ties with him). It winds up costing her dearly.
- Oh, Crap: When she notices less and less customers are coming to Mozuya. She heads to Sumire and sees it packed to the brim with people waiting in line to try Soma's karaage.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Etsuya ordered her to call him if Soma tried anything. However, she was so confident that Soma was beneath her that she failed to do so. Without Etsuya's help, Soma trounces Mozuya easily.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Had she did something from the beginning, Mozuya would still be afloat, because she was confident that Soma wouldn't have a chance. What she didn't count on was that the Sumire Karage Roll was possible because of the cooperation of all the businesses in that neighborhood.
- Underestimating Badassery: Thinks Soma just talking big when he challenges the Mozuya's Karaage. Few days later, the once thriving customers near her chain dwindle when they hear of Sumire's superior version.
Fall Classic Judges (Preliminary Round)
A selection of ten special guests divided into two blocks, they are the judges for the Fall Classic preliminaries. The most featured of the judging panel are the twin sisters Natsume and Orie Sendawara, former poster-children and current head-owners of the Haubii Foodstuff. They are accompanied by Osaji Kita, sponsor of the "Kita Gastronomy Club", Shingo Andou, essayist of fine cuisine and influential food critic, Makito Miyatozaka, executive producer of the food-based television Show "Is That A Kitchen?", gourmet Shigenoshin Kouda and four other judges .
Tropes associated with the preliminary Fall Classic Judges:
- Broken Base: In-universe, during the preliminaries, the judges are heavily divided over which curry dish is better: Soma's or Akira Hayama's. While the latter "wins" by one point more than the former, the former has three judges awarding him higher individual scores.
- Caustic Critic: Although the Classic participants are afraid of the Sendawara sisters as judges, the other judges are equally, if not, more stern than the twins.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Little by little, the judges start literally melting away because of how delicious the dishes are becoming from the top competitors.
- When the audience begins dishing out Megumi as a "dunce, uninteresting participant", Orie notices Megumi carving a hanging monkfish and tries to get to the arena at any cost for a closer look, a sign she is getting impressed with the competition.
- After a while of not giving high points, Natsume starts getting consecutive foodgasms from the skilled participants.
- When commenting about Yuuki's "Wild Game" curry, Osaji Kita invites Yuuki to visit his Gourmet Club any day, while Shingo Andou lightly blushes, attributing the tasty dish to Yuuki's perky personality.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: The Sendawara twins are supposed to be identical (as can be seen in their childhood picture), but they have different hairstyles and wears very different clothing, so their appearance are distinct from each other.
- I'm Taking Him Home With Me: Orie offers Satoshi to ditch Tootsuki to work for her, with a salary bonus as an added incentive; he declines. Likewise, Natsume offers Akira a spot in her company, but his refusal makes her want him even more.
- Literal Metaphor: Invoked by three of the judges' reaction after tasting Soma's dish, which causes such an impact on them that they can feel it like punches.
- Ms. Fanservice: The Sendawara twins, a pair of beautiful Ojous who arrive in revealing dresses and is treated as celebrities by the student body.
- Nosebleed: One of the judges has this when watching Miyoko cook
- Picky Eater
- The panel; while the twins are seen as the only difficult ones, competitors discover the other judges can be as critical as the sisters.
- Osaji Kita, after complimenting one competitor for his work, awards a very low score, reminding the student he cannot serve something meager when each judge expects a world-class gourmet. To that end, Natsume refuses to give a single point or take more than a bite unless it's visually spectacular.
- Even when the most talented first-years serve their dishes, the judges can still identity flaws and award a less-than-perfect score, which is scary as even a single point is the difference between making it to the next round of the Fall Classic or not.
- Ojou: The twins, Orie and Natsume Sendawara, are the CEOs of a famous curry brand and definitely very rich and important. They seem to view the competitors as pets they can purchase at whim, and have a very high standard for the curry dishes.
- Out of Focus: The four unnamed judges. Lampshaded by Makito towards one of them, "Shut up, minor character!"
- Picky Eater: Aside from Natsume (who didn't give a single point until Ryou's dish) and Orie, Osaji compliments the first competitor for his techniques, before awarding a meager total of 33 points, arguing while the dish is good, it comes from a mere student.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Orie is selfish and spoiled, but she takes her duties as a judge seriously. When Osaji Kita wants to reject Nao’s dish without even trying it based on the smell, she gives it a fair chance even if she’s completely disgusted.
- Spoiled Brat/Rich Bitch: The twins; justified since they're the sponsors for the Fall Classic. This comes to a head when Orie starts asking for the profiles of all the best students in the competition akin to picking pets from the store.
- Stunned Silence: The reaction the judges of the B Group get from Alice's dish. Even renowned Food Critic and essayist Shingo Andou is left speechless, with no words to describe the experience.
- The Quiet One: Shingo Andou, whom Osaji describes as "like a dead tree" and speaks mostly in whispers.
AbelSHINO's Sous Chef and recently appointed as the Head Chef of the Tokyo Branch.
Tropes associated with Abel:
- Death Glare: He is often glaring at Soma for many reasons, first for his free-care relationship towards Shinomiya and became more frequent when Soma showed his inexperience at the kitchen.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He briefly appeared in Shinomiya's flashback during the Training Camp, almost 80 chapters before he makes an actual appearance during Soma's second intern challenge.
- Fanboy: Admires his boss Shinomiya very much, and is more than happy to be able to run errands for him, despite Shinomiya being a very Stern Teacher and is rarely nice to him. This is reason why he gets jealous when he sees Soma getting along so casually with Shinomiya.
- Number Two: He was recently appointed as Head Chef of SHINO's Tokyo whenever Shinomiya would take charge in France.
- Pet the Dog: He is at the receiving end by Shinomiya, when his boss, after months of hard work, finally invites him to get drinks after work. Although, according to the the light novels, Shinomiya invited all of his staff for drinks, not just Abel.
- He's also on the giving end when he recommends Soma's dish during the restaurant's grand opening.
- Stern Teacher: Aside from Koujirou not giving Soma any feedback, Abel is the most strict towards him.
- Undying Loyalty: He tries really hard to be in Shinomiya's good graces and works hard for the business.
Lucie HugoSHINO's Tokyo Head Boucher Chef.
Tropes associated with Lucie:
- Genki Girl: She is very quick to be cheerful towards Soma.
- Prayer Pose: Before their Trial Run, Lucy is seen praying God to watch over her during the shift.
- Tomboy: Has short hair and in her casual clothes is mostly in sneakers and shorts.
- Youthful Freckles: Has a spunky and upbeat personality.
Gao WeiSHINO's Tokyo Head Hostess. She is in charge of the attention and taking the orders.
Tropes associated with Wei:
- Almighty Janitor: Soma is later told that Wei was originally the Head Botcher at SHINO's Paris. She chose to be Head Hostess because her entries were chosen once every two years and customer service gives her more empathy with the clients.
- The Face: Her job is to attend the customers and take their orders.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She is Girly Girl next to Lucy's Tomboy.