The wimp that was not.
- All-Loving Hero: He redeems bullies into Bully Hunters with forgiveness and inspiring words.
- The Chessmaster
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The only people that know (initially) that he is The Leader of Da Boyz are Da Boyz themselves. To everyone else he is a nice and quiet boy.
- Guile Hero
- The Leader: A type I and IV for Da Boyz. He's the mastermind behind their activites and the respect they have for him is regularly likened to religious devotion.
- Literal Split Personality: His four figurine advisers. Rei can speak with them, though at first this just looks like her own developing imagination. Later Kaworu also speaks to them which pushes them more fully into this trope.
- My Greatest Failure: He blames himself for Minase's rape by a high schooler, thinking he indirectly provoked it and could have stopped it. This is compounded by accepting the Chaos Marine's offer the night before and wanting to cause her pain. The guilt of both acts causes him greater torment than anything in his life.
- Spanner in the Works
- Young Conqueror
One of Shinji's classmates in elementary school and his first crush.
- The Beautiful Elite: Her delicate beauty and grace and general 'princess' atmosphere are what attract Shinji.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Acts sweet when she's truly snotty.
- Elegant Classical Musician
- Defiled Forever: Has this opinion of herself after the high schooler rapes her. She's ashamed to see Shinji because she thinks, despite his crush, he wouldn't want anything to do with her now.
- Hero's Muse: She's the reason Shinji took up the cello; he wanted to be near her in the band and impress her.
- Heel-Face Turn: After the debacle with her high school boyfriend she becomes one of Shinji's converts.
- Ojou A high class girl adored by many in the school.
- Rape Portrayed as Redemption (Rape as Drama?) - Happens the end of the prologue. The person who did it is then killed (accidentally) after being attacked by her and Kobayakawa.
- Rich Bitch: She acts like a snotty princess because her family's well off.