We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Characters: Shadowhunter Peril Other
The Other characters of Shadowhunter Peril.
Go back to the Character Index here
open/close all folders
Played by The Doomsday Architect
The first of two demons to not be completely Ax-Crazy
, Umbra is the Greater Demon of Energy, and the third demon to be born into existence. Until the arrival of the angels, Umbra was the most tactically knowledgeable of the Resistance and would often play peacemaker. Since the angels arrived, however, he's taken more of a backseat role, although he can still kick some ass.
He's in this section of the character list because, like Valentine, Umbra drinks from the Soul Chalice and becomes an Angel of Energy.
Tropes that apply to Umbra:
- Always Chaotic Evil: Averted with Umbra specifically, and the aversion is used the defining characteristic of his personality: Demons are SUPPOSED to all be like this, but Umbra was an anomaly that got him locked up for thousands of years and tortured.
- Ascended Demon
- Badass Longcoat
- Big Brother Mentor: To Theo, especially after Alex dies. He's just shy of being Promoted To Parent. Also Ignis.
- Big Brother Worship: He followed around Asmodeus as a child, and the two were very close until Lilith got involved.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Asmodeus's Cain.
- Cool Shades
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Death Is Cheap: Umbra can die as many times as he likes, because he's a demon and doesn't have a soul.
- Defector from Decadence: Joins the Resistance because he doesn't agree with demons. At first it's an awkward and strained relationship but now he's one of the family.
- Did You Just Have Sex?: With Nicholas. Umbra was trying to teach him how to fight in hand-to-hand combat. Nicholas displays much more prowess then Umbra had anticipated and throws him into a wall and falls to the ground moaning in pain. Nicholas starts frettting over him and starts repeating the words "Oh" and "Umbra". Cue Bezaliel and Veronica, who are standing on the other side of the wall. All they hear is sex. Bezaliel then moans about how his son is going to hell. Could be considered a Crowning Moment of Funny.
- Fate Worse Than Death: He was tortured for 5,000 years by his own family.
- Foil: To Oblivion. Inverted because Umbra was introduced first.
- Friend to All Children: Despite being a demon and generally having a sinister appearance, Theo immediately latches on to him and looks up to Umbra as a big brother.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: Somewhat of a subversion in which Umbra's wings are black, but he is a hero.
- Licked by the Dog: Children are mysteriously drawn to Umbra and seek comfort in his presence—this was apparently immediately with Theo, who orbited Umbra like a moon when they first met. Less so with Jez, but she was older and more focused on the war.
- Hellish Pupils: His pupils had orange pentacles in them. These are kept after he becomes an angel, signifying his demonic origins. Averted since Umbra isn't evil.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Starts out as this.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: It's his unwavering moral code coupled with his heroic sacrifice that makes the Resistance realize he's on their side.
- Never Accepted in His Hometown: His hometown being Hell, this really sucks. Also, since he doesn't have a soul, when he dies he gets sent back to Hell, where they all hate him and will gladly torture him. This is fixed upon becoming an angel.
- Official Couple: With Nicholas.
- Our Angels Are Different: After turning.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Power Gives You Wings: After Nuriel gives him to drink of the angelic Holy Relic called the Soul Chalice, which transforms him into an Ascended Demon, Umbra sprouts four black-feathered wings.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His eyes are maroon.
- Reluctant Monster: A sentient version.
- Roaring Rampage of Rescue: When he saves Nicholas from being tortured by Lilith.
- Scars Are Forever: Averted—Umbra should be covered in them from his torture, but all that remains after escaping are little white lines on his back, that eventually fade.
- Sibling Team: Was this with Asmodeus until the two eventually wandered down different paths, before ending up in the Cain and Abel territory they currently reside.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Once, when Theo was endangered, Umbra turned into his true demon form—and promptly blew up a section of the city. It's only been revealed once, because he then became an angel and the demon form was lost.
- Technicolor Eyes: His irises were maroon. After becoming an angel they grew gold flecks in them.
- Trade Mark Favorite Food: Cinnamon buns.
- The Stoic
- The Cape
- The Fettered
- The Unfavorite: Lilith never liked him, even before Umbra spoke out.
- White Sheep
"YES! HEAVEN! DO YOU HEAR ME? TREMBLE, FOR YOUR SATAN IS COMING!"
The Big Bad of Shadowhunter Peril, Valentine is a Nephilim gone bad who brought about the near-destruction of his own race and is now the subsequent ruler of the planet. He remained largely invisible during the first half of the story, but has since begun to take a more active role.
Tropes that apply to Valentine
The Big Bad
of the prequel story involving Etzel, Machiavelli surfaces in late 18th Century Venice (approximately 250 years after his historical death
) as a wealthy socialite who, upon a chance encounter with Dante, learns of Etzel's existence and is drawn into the story.
Tropes that apply to Niccolo
- Affably Evil: He's pleasant to all, if a bit condescending to those lower than him.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Or in his case, selfish.
- Black Eyes of Evil
- First Name Basis: He's rarely referred to as "Machiavelli", both in-universe and to the reader. It isn't until the climax he starts being called by his last name.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: IMMENSELY.
- It'sAllAboutMe: He only cares about himself, but doesn't obnoxiously broadcast his selfishness. He sees his callousness as pragmatic, not awful.
- Lack of Empathy: Fortunately for him, he's good at pretending to care.
- Vampiric Draining: He uses an advanced form of alchemy to drain the life forces of other humans to prolong his own life. Once finding out Etzel is a vampire, he plans to steal Etzel's life force to become truly immortal.