Characters: Servant × Service
The following is the list of characters that appeared in Servant × Service, split into relevant categories.
open/close all folders
Lucy (abbrv.) Yamagami
Voiced by: Ai KayanoLucy is one of the three newcomers to Mitsuba Ward Office, as well as the youngest at the age of 20. She comes off as a diligent and fast-learning worker, albeit somewhat naive socially. Her main reason for becoming a civil servant, however, is to seek out that sloppy bureaucrat responsible for approving her ridiculously long name, which is her perennial sore point.
- Berserk Button: Mention, inquire about or address her by her first name, and you're likely to get a documents-laden folder flung straight at your face. Later on, she mellows out with plain "Lucy", but stating that it's an abbreviation is still a sore point.
- Bookworm: Episode 6 put that into full view. Her mother warned her about neglecting daily life in favor of books, and a later conversation with Miyoshi revealed that she pursued a 2-year college term so she can immediately find work and earn money to buy more books. In Episode 8 she reveals this was a side effect of frequently hiding away in the library during her grade-school years because the boys kept making fun of her Overly Long Name.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Has low tolerance for alcohol.
- Chaste Heroine: She generally doesn't believe Hasebe is really flirting with her and tends to blow him off as a result. He gets increasingly serious about it, which makes her feel somewhat awkward instead.
- Cute Bookworm: She's already a young adult and is hardly a Shrinking Violet, but she is very naive, especially on sexual matters.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She has her moments.
- D-Cup Distress: In Episode 2 she's relieved when Chihaya guessed her bust size to be merely F-Cup (in Japanese systems; its American equivalent is E-Cup), implying they're far larger than that, and later, while in Yutaka's apartment in Episode 5, she picked up a copy of Senran Kaguya from his video game collection and asked for his assurance that women with breasts as huge as those of the characters in that game actually existed in Real Life.
- Does Not Like Men: In Episode 11, she admits to Hasebe that being teased during grade school by boys for her Overly Long Name made her develop a mild androphobia, causing her to spend her high school and college years in all-female schools.
- Embarrassing First Name: Lucy is okay. Kimiko, Akie, Airi, Shiori and a bunch of other things would probably also be okay. All of them together? Intolerable. She hates even being reminded that she has a first name as a result.
- Expressive Hair: Her Idiot Hair has the interesting ability to change form depending on her current feelings.
- Expy: Of Popura Taneshima from Working Unusual first name? Check. Gag Boobs? Check. Uncommon Berserk Button? Check. Innocent and easily fooled? Check. There's so many more...
- Fear of Thunder: Has one since she was young, ever since someone teased her that her Idiot Hair could attract lightning like a lightning rod.
- Friendship Moment: Lots of them with Yutaka, becoming the Character Development that has changed Lucy's opinion of him from unredeeming disdain, to sincere admiration, to possible attraction, to falling in love.
- Gag Boobs: Her breasts have been a source of some lampshading and jokes throughout the series. In manga, it was mentioned bras of her size needs special order.
- Gainaxing: Not so obvious but there's still a fair bit of bouncing (and squishing) happening.
- Hero-Worshipper: A subtle example of one. She is awed by Yutaka's many talents and marvels at the ease he handles working in an office. However, his habitual laziness and perverted remarks tend to shake her back into reality.
- I Am Not Pretty: Considers herself plain and boring, so when Hasebe asks her out she assumes he's making fun of her.
- Idiot Hair: She was actually born with one. Yutaka loves grabbing it.
- The Ingenue: Innuendo and attempts to flirt tend to go straight over her head. She also fails to notice when she's being sexually harassed, so Hasebe quits since he just likes messing with people, not actually abusing them. She's also incredibly trusting and willing to give out very embarrassing information such as her bust size when asked. Though mostly working against Hasebe, it does let him continually ask her to dinner so they can spend more time together without her having the faintest idea as to what his ulterior motives are.
- Insecure Love Interest: Refuses to believe Hasebe when he tries to flirt with her. She's positive that he's just making fun of her or simply a playboy.
- It's Not You, It's Me: The reason why she rejected Yutaka's offer to start dating. Initially, Yutaka was oblivious to it, and upon discovering it, he was quite happy — it means there's still a chance he can change her mind.
- Last Minute Baby Naming: Victim of this trope.
- Limited Wardrobe: The black T-shirt is the only kind of top she wears, although they may come from different retailers. Apparently, it's hard for her to get clothing because of her large breasts.
- Meganekko: Of the Hot Librarian variety.
- Multiethnic Name: Not only "Lucy," but many parts of her Overly Long Name are clearly not Japanese.
- Oblivious to Love: Played with frequently. Yutaka is attracted to Lucy, and has tried various methods to date her, but she doesn't believe his feelings are geniune. She sometimes even thinks he's just teasing her.
- Overly Long Name: Her given name is so long it is often abbreviated to just simply "Lucy". The full extent of her whole name is unclear, and the longest she can remember reads "Lucy Kimiko Akie Airi Shiori Rinne Yoshiho Chihoko Ayano Fumika Chitose Sanae Mikiko Ichika Yukino Reina Eri Ai Tamiko Chikage Emilia Julia Shizue Erina Chisa Yumeka Natsuki Ranran Rieko Setsuri Chikako Azumi Marina Hideko Chiaki Misaki Naomi Campbell Miku Yuka Masako Sachiko Nana Mutsumi Haruka Yuna Shimako Yukie Rin Sakura Kanna Wakana Hazuki Hanami Ruri Mihane Momoka Himari Nozomi Futaba Mayuyu Ayano". This is a perennial sore point for her, and she even claims to have joined the civil service just to find and get even with the sloppy bureaucrat who approved that name, which has been unwittingly daisy-chained by her parents because they couldn't decide over the options given by their friends (though she doesn't blame them as much as she does that officer because otherwise they're really Good Parents).
- Rescue Romance: Yutaka has saved Lucy from emotional, physical and social dangers on multiple occasions. Most of Yutaka's best "icebreaker" moments are a result of them.
- Revenge Before Reason: She could very easily apply for a name change(As Hasebe mentions) but she's determined to find the civil servant who approved her name, and give him the business first.
- Skewed Priorities: Has a tendency to allocate an absurdly large portion of her salary on books, to the point of practically starving herself.
- Super Gullible: She's rather innocent, making her immune to innuendo and prone to giving out highly personal information. She also believes Chihaya's terrible lies, like when she says she's dating Ichimiya, causing him to freeze in horror before saying it was a lie. They're dating and don't really make too much of an effort to hide it from anyone except maybe Touko.
Voiced by: Tatsuhisa SuzukiYutaka is one of the three newcomers to the Mitsuba Ward Office. Unlike Lucy, however, he is determined to slack as much as possible, although he is perfectly capable of doing his job as competently as needed. He also enjoys flirting with ladies in and out of his workplace. As a result, he has a rather contentious relationship with his colleagues, though it is mostly played for laughs.
- The Ace: He's excellent at academics, sports, housecleaning, cooking and everything else he tries without effort. On the other hand, nothing really interests him.
- Always Someone Better: To Jyoji Tanaka, which fuels the latter's one-sided rivalry against him.
- Beneath the Mask: He uses his carefree and silly persona to conceal his true feelings.
- Big Damn Heroes: Is prone to saving his fellow co-workers.
- Bridal Carry: How he lifted Lucy to his sister's house.
- Brilliant but Lazy: He is actually really intelligent though he prefers to slack. According to his older sister Kaoru, It Runs in the Family, and even then Yutaka is the normal one.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Let's say he's the oddest of all the staff, yet his attitude is always forgiven due to his sheer competence.
- Buxom Is Better: He has a preference for such women, and it's one of the factors that draws him to Lucy.
- The Casanova: Subverted. While he frequently asks the ladies (be they customers or colleagues) for their email addresses, and usually succeeds, he didn't really flirt except to Lucy. Jyoji also confirmed this; he told Saya in the manga that despite Yutaka's gaudiness, the latter never did anything irresponsible to girls at school.
- Cavalier Competitor: Much to Jyoji's horror.
- Childhood Friends: With Jyoji Tanaka.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He likes to tease and flirt with Lucy, but is actually a perfect gentleman and quite protective.
- Clark Kenting: In his hours off he often wears glasses and put on barrettes. This is presumably to hide from Jyoji.
- Dogged Nice Guy: With a hint of Stalker with a Crush. Yutaka follows and watches Lucy all over the office. Given she's prone to workplace problems, his sudden arrival to solve her plight has been a good thing... but Yutaka so happens to have been just around the corner and there for Lucy.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness:
- Played for Laughs whenever he is not his usual energetic self, such as being unwittingly talked down by Miyoshi, and having to confront Jyoji for the first time in many years.
- It also occurs in even greater severity when he mistakenly believes Lucy is getting married to another man. It's a Heroic BSOD for him.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: His entire ordeal with Lucy.
- Fun Personified: In so serious a work environment, his personality and actions make the office a little... livelier.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Wears glasses as part of Clark Kenting. Takes them off at work or when an acquaintance visits.
- Hair Decorations: Three barrettes.◊ Like his glasses, it is implied to that he uses them for Clark Kenting.
- Hidden Depths: Two ways.
- For most of Episode 1 he was shown as a slacking, womanizing self-claimed ace. At the end of the episode, he fended off two troublesome customers for his workmates — Lucy from a guy trying to force through paperwork without a personal sealnote , and Miyoshi from a nagging woman by tricking her into saying what she actually came for.
- While in Episode 2 he already said he plays a bit more video games than average, in Episode 5 we really get to know the extent — he has several bookshelves of video game titles lined up in his apartment, plus figurines of characters. This may be enough to call him a small-time otaku.
- Insufferable Genius: Downplayed compared to most examples (as he is a bit less "genius"), but just consider this exchange in Episode 1:Hasebe: I have a question for you.
Ichimiya: What is it?
Hasebe: I excelled in everything since I was a child, and there isn't anything I'm not good at. What do you suggest I do?
Ichimiya: How about some common courtesy for your elders?
Hasebe: Oh, that, I'm not good at!
- It's All My Fault:
- In Episode 11, he thinks that his carefree lifestyle is causing him to be not taken by Lucy seriously.
- In Episodes 12-13, he blames himself for his father unintentionally giving Lucy her Overly Long Name, because he got a fever and his father was too distracted about it to scrutinize baby Lucy's name.
- Love Epiphany: He was already on the path in Episode 3, but officially reached the point of no return in Episode 8.
- Male Gaze: On Lucy's Gag Boobs, when asked if she looked unhealthy to him.
- Mistaken for Gay: This may be the reason behind his The Casanova behaviour. In Chapter 48 of the manga, Saya asked Jyoji how did Yutaka treated girls back at school, and Jyoji's reply is just like what Yutaka is right—he just flirts. Then he added, "because of that, he was suspected to be homosexual." Saya thought, "it's not 'because of that'!", implying Yutaka's womanizing behaviour is a response to this trope, mainly caused by Jyoji's (nonsexual) obsession towards him.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: Or, to be exact, relentlessly challenged by a childhood friend who he keeps beating, even unto adulthood.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Most people who don't interact with Yutaka on a regular basis only see him as lazy and foolish.
- Otaku: Subverted — while he's certainly addicted to video games and plays a lot of H-Games as well, he's not as obsessive as Chihaya, and actually averts the "No Social Skills" trope frequently associated with such characters. Then it turns out he's just using this trope as an excuse to hide away from Jyoji and his persistent challenges.
- Professional Slacker: He looks like that in the second half of Episode 8.
- Sign Language: Knows it.
- The Slacker: So much so that the first questions he asked Taishi were details about break time and the whereabouts of places he could slack in.
- Snark Ball: Around his sister.
- Stepford Smiler: Has increasingly become Type A ever since falling in love with Lucy.
- The Tease: He likes to ask women for their email addresses, but it turns out he's actually not as much of a flirt as he appears: Multiple characters note that Yutaka only flirts with Lucy and they can't remember him doing so with anyone else. Still, that's how Lucy sees him, so things just don't seem to progress at all.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: After spending several episodes being unable to do so, he finally manages to get Lucy's email at the epilogue of the series.
- Ventriloquism: He uses this to entertain an irritated little girl in Episode 3.
Voiced by: Mai NakaharaMiyoshi is the third newcomer in the Mitsuba Ward Office and the oldest at 24 years of age. A generally shy person, her attempts to work properly have a tendency to be interrupted by external circumstances, mostly notably being caught up in the rambling monologues of Mrs. Tanaka, an old lady who frequents the office. Funnily, whenever she does get an opportunity to speak out, her brutal honesty has devastating effects on her listeners incongruent with her personality.
- A-Cup Angst: A very, very downplayed example, but she was clearly Blue with Shock in episode 6 after Kenzou mentioned she doesn't have Lucy's... "stuff" that obstructs his view on the shoulder.
- Brutal Honesty: She's prone to this. It was even lampshaded by Chihaya.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Passes out in one sip.
- Dissonant Serenity: As shown in Episode 8, she keeps that sweet smile of hers even with Cross-Popping Veins and a dark aura emanating from her while relaying a message to Jyoji via Yutaka that dragging a female (i.e. Lucy) into a date is awful.
- Expy: Of Yachiyo Todoroki, from another work by the author of this series — blonde, sweet, and pretty scary when ticked.
- First-Person Smartass: Surprisingly and sporadically, but very fitting with her Brutal Honesty.
- Hooked Up Afterwards: A credits skit in the final episode confirms that she's taken an interest in Jyoji and trying to correct his obsession with Yutaka.
- Innocently Insensitive: Tends to speak her mind without even considering the potential consequences. Particularly evident in Episode 6, where she unwittingly sent the normally carefree Yutaka into a Corner of Woe by passively saying that he's beneath her, and a flashback reveals that she rejected a boy's confession by saying he should've looked at himself in a mirror and thought again (she meant she thought he could do better). Eventually Chihaya had to warn her against rejecting Mrs. Tanaka's marriage offer so as not to cause heart attacks.
- Nice Girl: She's generally sweet and polite, but she doesn't seem to realize how harsh some of her statements sound, at least until Chihaya warns her about it, after which she would always end up feeling guilty for letting the words come out of her mouth.
- Perpetual Smiler: Smiles 80% of the time even when angry.
- Ronin: Spent a year for the modern definition of it, which makes her the oldest of the newcomers at 24 years old.
- Running Gag: Getting caught in Rambling Old Lady Monologues.
- Shrinking Violet: Miyoshi gets flustered rather easily, despite being the oldest of the three newcomers. It seems to make her a favorite among the elderly though.
Voiced by: Aki ToyosakiChihaya is a part-time employee at the Mitsuba Ward Office who, despite her competence at that job, refuses to go full-time, preferring instead to take advantage of her status to take frequent leaves and indulge in her cosplaying hobby.
- Berserk Button: Really gets pissed when Taishi still addresses her on a Last Name Basis when they're alone.
- Cannot Spit It Out: A non-romantic example, She just can't tell Touko that she is dating her older brother.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- She emits a dark aura upon hearing that Ichimiya has been hit on by other women.
- She also gets angry and upset whenever Hasebe gets closer to Lucy, mostly because she wants to cosplay Lucy and erroneously believes that so does he.
- The Comically Serious: Most of the punchlines from this gal come at her outwardly calmer moments... such as declaring dryly that she and Ichimiya are an Official Couple.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Seen cosplaying as Gerbera Pink, the lead character of her favorite series, Magical Flowers, in Episode 2. She also imagined Lucy as Rose Black (on account of the black sweater she always wears, and that Rose Black's costumes is the most revealing of the cast), associated Saya with Hydrangea Blue (as "hydrangea" means "brutal", befitting her Brutal Honesty), fooled Touko into unknowingly cosplaying as Mimosa Yellow by beating her in tabletop games, and attempted to shoehorn Kanon to Lupine Purple to fill in her cosplay ensemble. In fact, her job choice has to do with this trope: she's legally a part-timer, so she is not obliged to work every day, though being paid on a daily basis provides her an incentive to become more or less a regular.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Hair Decorations: Hair clips.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Tends to frequently verbally bitchslap everyone, particularly Hasebe and Ichimiya. On the other hand, she's shown to be quite the Cool Big Sis figure for Touko, and generally gives Lucy advice that is actually sound in context. She also goes out of her way to help save Hasebe and Lucy's relationship.
- Kiss-Kiss-Slap: Tells Ichimiya that she can't verbally convey her feelings. So, she kisses him, then gives him a hard slap to the face.
- Official Couple: She's dating Ichimiya.
- Relationship Sabotage: She's dead set on preventing Yutaka and Lucy getting together. Some of Lucy's hesitation on dating Yutaka originates from Chihaya making him sound more devious than he really is.
- Sequential Artist: Makes doujinshi during spare time. She also mentioned there're a large number of civil servants doing this among spare time as well.
- The Stoic
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Yutaka. She goes out of her way to make sure his date with Lucy goes without a hitch and above expectation. When his relationship with Lucy become endangered in the final episode, she's the catalyst that gets him to finally set things right.
- Younger than She Looks: Probably due to her stoicism, it's hard to believe that she, like Lucy, is just 20 years old.
Voiced by: Takahiro SakuraiA 26-year-old senior employee, Ichimiya is assigned to guide the three newcomers at the beginning, and subsequently becomes their go-to person for any work-related issues, even though he is, by his own admission, not the best person for his job. Nevertheless, he is generally well-respected by his peers.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: He occasionally does it to younger women out of unconscious habit, due to his sister.
- Apologizes a Lot: To Chihaya's particular consternation.
- Captain Oblivious: Remains unaware that Touko isn't visiting his workplace just to nag at its employees.
- Friend Versus Lover: He mentions that his girlfriends usually break up with him right before Christmas. Chihaya suggests that this might be because he celebrates Touko's birthday... rather than spending time with his girlfriend on Christmas Eve.
- Nice Guy: So nice for his own good it pisses Chihaya off.
- Official Couple: He's dating Chihaya.
- Parental Abandonment: He and Touko are from a single-parent family, and their mother works for long hours, so he has to take care of Touko by himself.
- Promotion to Parent: To Touko.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Has a very poor opinion of his own abilities, and by Episode 3 he actually views Lucy and Yutaka — both newcomers, even — as superior to himself. This is in fact the main barrier between him and Chihaya.
- Urban Legend Love Life: Is apparently very popular amongst the townsfolk, and Yutaka claims that he received many marriage proposals whenever they went around the town providing community service.
Voiced by: Rikiya KoyamaThe section manager of the Welfare Division, Momoi is the direct superior of the protagonists. Due to his self-proclaimed extreme shyness, he only appears in the form of a remote-controlled stuffed bunny. Although he makes a point of learning about his subordinates and is concerned with their wellbeing, he cannot understand why they do not seem to offer him proper respect.
- Animate Inanimate Object: His remote-controlled stuffed bunny stand-in.
- Benevolent Boss: He speaks nicely towards his subordinates, invites them for merrymaking and leaves his desk often just to see life at work in his subordinates' shoes.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Literally.
- Butt Monkey: He often finds himself being attacked by Chihaya and Yutaka.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Probably because he appears as a stuffed toy, no one in the office gives him the respect appropriate for his position.
- Happily Married: His wife is his mechanic.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Shrinking Violet: He resorted to using a robotic stand-in because he is so shy. This is an Informed Flaw so far; he doesn't appear to having crippling shyness.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Despite supposed to a highly autonomic that is capable to walk on the street, the stuffed bunny avatar will still malfunction if drenched in rain. Manga's chapter 58 was mainly about this.
Voiced by: Rumi OokuboIchimiya's younger sister and a high school student who's extremely well-versed in the rules and regulations of her brother's workplace, which enables her to strike fear in the hearts of even its most seasoned veterans with her nagging — all because she wants to stay around with her brother despite her overt persistence to the contrary.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: How Ichimiya views her.
- Big Brother Worship: Frequents the offices because she wants to spend time with Ichimiya, although he's rather clueless about it (it also doesn't help that she's very tsundere about it).
- Captain Oblivious: Even when Chihaya frequents her place, Touko still has yet to connect the dots and realize that she and her brother are already dating.
- Cross-Popping Veins: A permanent one below her right eye at that. Chapter 11 of the manga clarifies that it's a stylized birthmark — Touko herself mentions that it's "like a mole".
- Cry Cute: Frequently Played for Laughs. She breaks down wailing like a little kid in Episode 2 twice after her own brother tells her she's being an annoyance at the workplace, and after Miyoshi unwittingly talks her down by frankly saying that her brother will never truly understand her feelings with that kind of attitude she has. In Episode 10, Kanon sees her in a tearful mess, fearing that her nagging may be causing both her brother and his workmates mental stress after seeing them talk to Momoi's bunny avatar.
- Hair Decorations: Beads.
- Oblivious to Love: She fails to see all the indicators that Chihaya and her brother are dating.
- Parental Abandonment: She and Ichimiya only have their mother, and even then she has to work for long hours, thus the reason she looks up to Ichimiya.
- Smarter Than You Look: Despite her obliviousness, she is actually at the first of her grade.
- Sweet Tooth: Viewers should have noticed that dessert is her icebreaker.
- Tsundere: She's highly abrasive and impossible to please when it comes to how people treat her brother. Compliment him and she'll disagree because she's being tsuntsun. Insult him and she'll get even angrier because she worships him, but then she'll call him useless again. Most people seem to consider her a pain in the ass as a result, even the normally even tempered Lucy.
Voiced by: Yuu KobayashiYutaka's older sister and herself a civil servant (though at a different office). While she genuinely cares for her younger brother, she also enjoys teasing him such that he appears much more serious as opposed to his carefree persona in the ward office whenever he interacts with her.
- Brilliant but Lazy: As she said, It Runs in the Family, so much so Yutaka looked normal.
- Brother-Sister Incest/Three-Way Sex: Though she was most likely joking, she mentions she wouldn't mind having a threesome with him and Lucy.
- Expy/Distaff Counterpart: Is pretty much Souma's clone.
- The Gadfly: She doesn't only deliberately irritate Lucy (into thinking Yutaka is indeed female), but also her brother as well.
- It Amused Me: It's the only justification she needs.
- Shipper on Deck: Supports Lucy/Yutaka, to the point that she sets up a gambit to make her brother's one-sided crush on Lucy a mutual one.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Looks exactly the same as Yutaka.
Voiced by: Rina HidakaKenzou's daughter as well as Touko's schoolmate and friend. Unlike her father, Kanon has no problems interacting with people normally. She does not seem to mind her father's appearance and in fact actively provides maintenance to his stuffed bunny stand-in.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Downplayed; she doesn't mind her father's avatar too much. She won't, however, acknowledge him around her friends.
- Hair Decorations: Ribbons
- First-Person Smartass: Tends to snark a lot in her head regarding some weird situations she gets into, such as Miyoshi's Brutal Honesty, Hasebe's slacking habits, Chihaya's strange personality, and Lucy's tight control of her salary, as well as the Ichimiya siblings' shared obliviousness (Taishi to the true reason Touko visits his place, and Touko to the fact that the bunny in the office is her father's avatar and the true nature of her brother and Chihaya's relationship)."Thank goodness Touko-chan is an idiot."
- Only Sane Man: Easily the most normal member of the cast. When she visits the office at one point and wanders around meeting everyone, she comes to the correct conclusion that they are a bunch of weirdos, though she did attach the label to Miyoshi simply because of how blunt she is.
- Smarter Than You Look: Her cute looks belie a smart, perceptive mind. She can fix her father's stuffed bunny avatar rather easily, having spent her childhood watching her mother do it, and also instantly deduced from Touko's statements that her brother and Chihaya are dating. Although her competencies seemed to be limited to science (which is the reason her grades is slightly below Touko's).
- Straight Man: To Touko's wackiness and obliviousness, more so when she finally connects the dots and realizes that her brother and Chihaya are dating.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: Of the down-to-earth variant.
Voiced by: Mikako TakahashiA 76-year-old woman who frequents the Mitsuba Ward Office.
- Arranged Marriage: What she's trying to achieve between Jyoji and Miyoshi.
- The Gadfly
- I Want Grandkids: She's currently seeking a wife for her grandson Jyoji.
- Last Name Basis: How everyone refers to her.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: She is tiny.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: She is almost always complaining about her daughter-in-law.
- Rambling Old Lady Monologue: Tends to break out into this, usually regarding her daughter-in-law.
Voiced by: Tetsuya KakiharaMrs. Tanaka's 22-year-old grandson, banker, and a childhood friend(?) of Yutaka, who actually fears him due to his unrelenting persistence in competing with him since their grade-school years, despite losing to him all the time. He's also diametrically different from Yutaka, being very stoic and stubborn.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Not that it would have changed what he originally planned.
- The Alcoholic: Both times he was seen having dinner (episodes 8 and 11) he was seen drinking several bottles of wine.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: His rivalry with Yutaka was in fact due to this trope.
- Berserk Button: Being the second. That includes his first name, which literally means "reciprocate-the-second."
- Bridal Carry: When Miyoshi fell asleep from a sip of wine during their date, he carried her this way, presumably back to Miyoshi's home. She makes a comment about the implication, but Jyoji doesn't catch it.
- Childhood Friends: With Yutaka.
- Creature of Habit: The fact that his lunch hour is ending trumps over his rivalry towards Yutaka.
- Determinator: Determined to win over Yutaka over something, despite having failed in that for all their school years.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Wants to possess anything Yutaka has or wants, just so he can claim to have won it.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Despite his hard work he never won over Brilliant but Lazy Yutaka.
- Henpecked Husband: The best way to describe how Jyoji's second date with Miyoshi went.
- Hidden Depths: When stripped away of his obsession for Yutaka, he's a different person: someone Kaoru claims "is her type," and Miyoshi comments as "boring and childish." After getting to know this side, both women are quick to defend criticism against him.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: Hates it whenever anybody complains about how Yutaka is not serious in his work.
- Insane Troll Logic: One of his brilliant plans to finally beat Yutaka? Drag off and ask out the girl he has a crush on.
- Like Parent, Like Son: People kept saying he talks just like his grandmother.
- Never Gets Drunk: Subverted — he just doesn't show the telltale signs. That said, littered around the table are a full five bottles of wine, meaning his alcohol tolerance is still absurd.
- Shipper on Deck: In Chapter 70 of the manga, he officially ships Lucy X Yutaka.
- The Stoic: His expression almost never changes. In his backstory; he was initially friendless because he always look that expressionless.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: He's won over Yutaka at least twice. In Episode 8 he obtained Lucy's email, 5 episodes before Yutaka. In Episode 11 he had a date with Miyoshi, got her to think favorably of him afterwards, and secured the promise of having a second, one episode before Yutaka did the same. Alas, he prefers his victories to be on a "mano a mano" basis, thus he still comes over to Hasebe to challenge him, as well as the fact that Hasebe finally manages to date Lucy and get her email.
- Unknown Rival: He's always trying to beat Hasabe at something, but can never win. Jyoji has gotten so annoying that Hasebe claims he has a Tanaka allergy and hides from him at home.
- We Used to Be Friends: His obsession to see Yutaka defeated has clearly derailed their friendship.