Characters: Sengoku Basara Maeda Clan
for the main character index of Sengoku Basara
Voiced by: Tomohiro Tsuboi (Japanese), Andrew Jackson (Devil Kings
), Chuck Huber
(anime), Jackson Robinson (Samurai Heroes
"It would be great if there was a world where everyone could eat in peace..."
A vassal of Oda Nobunaga
, which is surprising considering what a nice guy he is. Uncle of Keiji and husband of Matsu. Has a huge appetite, and is the butt of many jokes.
Known as Lark
in Devil Kings
- Always Save the Girl: Seems his only rule is "guard Matsu".
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Especially when it comes to food, or flying things like ninja.
- Battle Couple: With his wife, Matsu. They're even referred to as the "Strongest Couple in the Land".
- Beware the Silly Ones: Even more so than his nephew. He may be a bit slow and simple-minded, but the man will protect his clan until the bitter end.
- Big Brother Mentor: As Keiji's guardian, he's a mixture of this and Bumbling Dad. They care about each other a lot and though Toshiie seems content to let Keiji make his own decisions, he always keeps an eye on him.
- Big Eater: He's always hungry and can't fight unless his stomach is full. It even works into his gameplay in Utage, where after collecting a rice ball health item his attacks are stronger and faster, but will be vulnerable after it runs out.
- Boss Subtitles: "The Broadminded"
- "Toshiie Maeda - Hungry as Ever" in Samurai Heroes.
- Booze Flamethrower: A few of his attacks involves him taking a drink from his jug before spitting out flame, including his Limit Break.
- Butt Monkey: Keiji's pranks usually end with Toshiie being beaten up or otherwise suffering somehow.
- Cloudcuckoolander: His first reaction after seeing a ninja is to decide that he wants to fly too.
- Charged Attack: Almost all of his attacks in Utage can be charged and becoming stronger if they're released with proper timing.
- Covered with Scars: Likely a result of getting attacked by bears...
- Demoted to Extra: Like several others, Sengoku Basara 3 made him into an NPC, but was made playable in Utage. He's back to being an NPC in the fourth game.
- Does Not Like Shoes
- A Father to His Men: To complement how motherly Matsu is toward them, Toshiie's troops say that in this sense he is a perfect general.
- Happily Married: Which makes him the straightest man in the whole verse!
- Henpecked Husband: In the manga. He also admits that Matsu is scary in the games.
- Hot-Blooded: Certainly when he's fighting.
- Hot Dad: Well, closest thing to a dad Keiji has at least. Scars and all.
- Japanese Pronouns: 'Soregashi'
- Loin Cloth: Basically the only clothing he wears.
- Man Child: Reacts with childish wonder to new places and concepts.
- One Head Taller: Than his wife, since they're the quintessential cute couple.
- Panty Shot: An unfortunate side-effect of the above garment.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Despite being Nobunaga's vassal, neither he nor Matsu (and especially Keiji) are seen doing much for him. Nonetheless they're generally portrayed as relatively loyal to him and Nohime (except in the third game, where they're instead terrified that he's Back from the Dead). They also planned to avenge Nobunaga by going after Mitsuhide in Nohime's storyline in the second game.
- Playing with Fire
- Prongs of Poseidon: Wields a trident, although he still refers to it as a spear.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: The anime portrays him as this, due to the horrors he experienced while serving under Nobunaga. Strange considering the above trope.
- Too Many Belts: Wears them around his arms and legs as well.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
"Even though I am a woman, do not dare take me lightly!"
Toshiie's devoted wife, usually tasked with keeping track of their renegade nephew Keiji. Has been described as "the ideal housewife", though she can still kick butt if she wants to.
in Devil Kings
- Action Girl: When the moment calls for it, she can be a beast herself.
- Badass in Distress: In the third game she is kidnapped to try and convince Toshiie to join the Eastern army.
- Battle Couple
- The Beastmaster: She can summon hawks, boars, moles, wolves and bears to attack.
- Big Badass Bird of Prey: Taromaru.
- Big, Badass Wolf: Her most powerful summon, Shiromaru.
- Boss Subtitles: "Gifted, Beautiful Twinkle"
- "Matsu - Won't Back Down" in Samurai Heroes.
- Cool Big Sis: Matsu-nee-chan!
- Demoted to Extra: Joins her husband in NPC land in Sengoku Basara 3, but became playable in Utage. Like her husband, she returns to NPC status in the fourth game (at least until the expansion).
- Divergent Character Evolution: She was effectively a clone of Kenshin in the first game until later games gave her a unique moveset.
- Elemental Powers:
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Neither her gloves nor her stockings match.
- Friend to All Living Things
- Happily Married: Borders on Sickeningly Sweethearts.
- Hime Cut: Without her bandana.
- Horse Of A Different Colour: She gains the ability to ride her bear Goromaru in Utage.
- Lady of War
- Mama Bear: While a firm believer in tough love, YOU had better not lay a finger on her family.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Though without the arrogant connotations. She's simply refined.
- Parenting the Husband: Hard working as he is, Toshi wouldn't get anywhere without her, seeing as she's Closer to Earth.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: How else do you explain why the moles wear hats?!
- She's Got Legs
- Team Mom: The whole clan view her as a mother figure.
- Third-Person Person: Sometimes, particularly when talking with her husband.
- Through His Stomach: Lucky for her, Toshi's is bottomless.
- In the anime she even manages to befriend some enemy soldiers by cooking for them.
- Transformation Sequence: How she changes from her everyday kimono into her battle dress.
- Tsundere: Type A. She's very strict with Keiji, but acts incredibly cute and affectionate whenever Toshi is involved.
- Weapon of Choice:
- Yamato Nadeshiko: The perfect Japanese House Wife, in every way. She even uses a naginata!
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade B combined with mini shorts.
"In both love and fights, it feels good when hearts communicate."
An eccentric and happy-go-lucky man, introduced in SB2
, who likes food, festivals, and falling in love
. He is the adopted nephew of Toshiie and Matsu. He also has a pet monkey named Yumekichi. An old friend of Toyotomi Hideyoshi
, until he becomes Drunk on the Dark Side